DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : WB - 56 days until movies can be "Rented"

Iron_Giant
01-06-12, 02:10 PM
It burns me that WB (any Studio) is going to wait 56 days until movies can be rented.

Reason: "Disappointing Q4 DVD/BR Sales" (and the past few years sales have been slowing)

Funny thing is, WB had the best selling DVD/BR in the Q4: HP7 P2

HP7 P2 is just the 3rd BR to ever past the $100 Million dollar mark (Avatar and Star Wars The Complete Saga are the other 2).

If the studios put out something we want, we will buy it.

It seems like the Studios expect us to hand over our hard earned $$$ to them, no matter what they are trying to sell us (or how they are trying to sell it to us).

WB wants us to buy instead of rent (and they do not want us to buy the used rental disks either) or they want us to start using this "Cloud/UltraViolet" garbage. This way they get to keep a higher percent of the money we spend.

I (and I think most movie collectors) do not want to use the Cloud, we want the highest quality possible - which is Blu-Ray.

So, WB stop trying to force something down our throats. Give us options and we will decide what we want to do with our money.

I will NOT buy anything from WB now until the Rental window comes available. After the 56 day Rental Window is over, the BR should be at least 1/3 of the 1st day sale price.

When studios do not give choices, it seems to come back and bite them in their own bottom line/profit.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/warner/warner-double-rental-embargo-56-days-26042

JayDerek
01-06-12, 03:01 PM
wonderful. :/

...and now the number of people pirating will keep going up and up and up...

trespoochies
01-06-12, 03:13 PM
Quite honestly, I'm indifferent to this since my backlog of purchased/DVR'd stuff would easily take longer than 56 days to get through.

RocShemp
01-06-12, 03:16 PM
wonderful. :/

...and now the number of people pirating will keep going up and up and up...

Yup. This will not have the effect they want.

I rent a movie I didn't catch in theaters (or am unsure about) to see if it's a movie I wanna buy. Not making it available to rent wont push me to buy it blind. It'll likely make me forget about the movie altogether.

Timber
01-06-12, 03:38 PM
So they're basically flipping the old rental model where you couldn't purchase VHS/Beta tapes for a certain period of time while they were renal exclusives.

critterdvd
01-06-12, 03:45 PM
That is just too long of a window. People cannot afford to blind-buy every DVD they release like they could more easily back 4-6 years ago, and they arn't going to just because they can't rent it. By expanding the renting window its going to lower the interest in the title and people will just stop watching Warner Brothers films.

Rexxriot
01-06-12, 03:53 PM
56 days is nothing. I borrow DVDs/blu-rays from the library and you can't get new releases from other libraries for 6 months. I suppose you could get it earlier if you wanted to pick it up from the library that owns it, but it's not as convenient as having it shipped to the library closest to you.

Thankfully, I have two different library networks to borrow from, and the other one doesn't have such a wait. I think people from the owner library have priority, so it can take a while before a new release gets to you, but I don't mind waiting.

crazychris88
01-06-12, 03:56 PM
Fuck this shit. Maybe Warner needs to start putting some special Features on their damn Blu-rays to entice me to actually puchase their Blu's/ Why in the hell are the new installments of FInal Destination and Harold and Kumar getting paltry extras when their counterpart originals and prior installments got a crap load of good features. They dont even try . Why should consumers for over 25 bucks on a new release for a 90 minute movie and 20 minutes of LAME extras!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALso they need to stop pricing their shit so damn high.

Oh and yep I will not any of their shitty new releases with the worst special features since the dawn of DVD. They can go to hell.
Also (and I swear i really will do this) If a WB release comes to theaters I will pay to see a competing studios film (Sony tends to treat me right) and sneak into the WB film if I need to see it (might not work for midnite Dark knight showing ) but all other films apply.

applesandrice
01-06-12, 04:04 PM
Aside from the issue of content (ie, studios should make films people WANT to buy) I don't suppose it's occured to them that the existing 28-day rental embargo might already be a contributing factor to the decline in sales?

In my experience, if I don't see a given movie in the theater -- and it's pretty likely that I won't, because 1) ticket prices are too high; 3D is a stupid marketing gimmick that gets overused and grossly contributes to reason #1; and audiences are (for the most part) annoying and/or obnoxious -- I intend to rent it before adding it to my collection. If a film I want to see comes out for sale and no rental is available, I'll wait -- 28 days, 56 days ... whatever -- and maybe by the time it's available I'll still be interested enough to rent it (leading to the possibility of a later purchase), but maybe -- no, probably -- I won't.

PopcornTreeCt
01-06-12, 04:04 PM
So they're basically flipping the old rental model where you couldn't purchase VHS/Beta tapes for a certain period of time while they were renal exclusives.

:up: Kidney only releases!

I think this will encourage pirating even more. One person buys it, rips it, uploads it... no one has to rent it anyway!

critterdvd
01-06-12, 04:56 PM
:up: Kidney only releases!

I think this will encourage pirating even more. One person buys it, rips it, uploads it... no one has to rent it anyway!

Sadly I think your right on the money...

crazychris88
01-06-12, 05:05 PM
I have never supported pirated DVD's once in my life. I suspect this might be changing now.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
01-06-12, 05:13 PM

I don't. The people that already pirate will continue to do so. The people that are renting will instead rent other things or the WB movies that have made it past the 56 day window.

Crackheads and people that buy games/movies/etc right when they come out and then sell them the next week because they don't have money anymore will continue to do so and a few of them will buy the WB movies because we've already seen they aren't good with money but it won't be enough that WB is hoping to get.

orangerunner
01-06-12, 05:36 PM
Well, the rental store business has effectively been killed off anyway. My city has no more standalone video stores left. This 56-Day window will (intentionally, I suppose) put the final nail in the coffin for the disc rental business.

I think the studios are probably trying to push the (legal) downloading/streaming model for the rental crowd, which is much cheaper as there is no middle-men, production, warehousing and transportation costs associated with the discs.

Is there a window between the download date and the Blu-ray/DVD sales date?

If there is, as everyone else pointed out, the downloading of pirated copies will run rampant.

The smart thing to do is just have it available for download on the same day as the Blu-ray/DVD sales street date. Buyers will buy and renters will download. They're not going to sway the renters into spending $25 for title they have no interest in owning.

Alan Smithee
01-06-12, 07:18 PM
I like this idea a lot better than what they COULD have done, which would have been to price discs like VHS tapes in the $100 range so they'd make more money from the copies sold to rental outlets! They threatened to do that a few times in the first years of DVD, and illegal copying WOULD have become more rampant had that happened! (I used to copy TONS of rented VHS movies since they were too expensive to buy!)

Vudu seems to get most new releases the day they're issued on disc. Kind of troubling is that Moneyball and Abduction have been "digital exclusives" for a couple weeks before they're issued on discs, and they're at premium prices on top of that.

Gizmo
01-06-12, 08:16 PM
Retailers would simply buy stock from Wal-Mart

Which is what will likely happen now.

Texan26
01-06-12, 08:48 PM
Retailers would simply buy stock from Wal-Mart

Which is what will likely happen now.
Except Netflix, Blockbuster, and Redbox have made deals with Warner and other studios so they can't just go and buy movies from Wal-mart and rent those copies.

rw2516
01-07-12, 05:43 AM
To a lot of people DVD is a disposable product. "Picking up a movie to watch tonight" means grabbing a new release for $15 at Wal-Mart while grocery shopping. People will buy them just to watch once if they can't rent them. Not a lot of people, but they are out there.

maxfisher
01-07-12, 09:34 AM
Except Netflix, Blockbuster, and Redbox have made deals with Warner and other studios so they can't just go and buy movies from Wal-mart and rent those copies.

Not sure about Netflix & Redbox, but it's pretty clear Blockbuster doesn't. In recent months, they've mass bought and rented Harry Potter 7.2, Green Lantern, Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and Crazy, Stupid Love. They buy combo packs, put all the DVDs out to rent, pitch the digital copies and split the blu-rays between offering them for rent and PVD.

JimRochester
01-07-12, 09:58 AM

I rent a movie I didn't catch in theaters (or am unsure about) to see if it's a movie I wanna buy. Not making it available to rent wont push me to buy it blind. It'll likely make me forget about the movie altogether.

Exactly. It's not that I rent because I don't want to own. I rent because I will no longer blind buy. After I rent, if it's a film that has repeat play or ownership value I will most certainly buy it. I have just given up on the buy everything, trade away what I don't like mentality.

Iron_Giant
01-07-12, 11:06 AM
Not sure about Netflix & Redbox, but it's pretty clear Blockbuster doesn't. In recent months, they've mass bought and rented Harry Potter 7.2, Green Lantern, Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and Crazy, Stupid Love. They buy combo packs, put all the DVDs out to rent, pitch the digital copies and split the blu-rays between offering them for rent and PVD.

Maybe this is what they really want, making more money from the rental companies when they go buy from Wall-Mart.

SterlingBen
01-07-12, 11:23 AM
Don't Rent Don't Care

joltman
01-07-12, 11:58 AM
Well, the rental store business has effectively been killed off anyway. My city has no more standalone video stores left. This 56-Day window will (intentionally, I suppose) put the final nail in the coffin forB the disc rental business.
But don't Blockbuster stores still get them on release date? I thought it was just the kiosks and online rental places that get them late, which means it wouldn't effect B&M rental stores.

DJariya
01-08-12, 07:46 AM
My local Mom and Pop store gets their Warner Brothers BDs and DVDs from Canada. It's all legit, only with French writing on the artwork. They also save money by buying mass quantities of the DVD/BD combos and renting the DVDs out as well.

Iron_Giant
01-08-12, 02:30 PM
My local Mom and Pop store gets their Warner Brothers BDs and DVDs from Canada. It's all legit, only with French writing on the artwork. They also save money by buying mass quantities of the DVD/BD combos and renting the DVDs out as well.

Love Mom and Pop shops, they are the best. You can find movies you can not find other places.

Hope they make a ton of $$$ off WB.

d2cheer
01-09-12, 09:20 AM

100% agree, way to much stuff going on anyway and other choices for entertainment. The bolded part will be me as well.

Gizmo
01-09-12, 09:27 AM

Blockbuster does not. They regular go out and buy copies from Wal-Mart etc. for all studios when they don't get any.

I doubt any agreement says that Redbox has to bend over and do whatever Warner wants.

applesandrice
01-09-12, 10:52 AM
If that's the case, maybe this will have the unintended effect of killing the stripped-down "rental" discs. The rental places would just buy the "for sale" versions, rent those, and then 56 days later, when WB releases the "rental" discs, there's no longer a market ...

Texan26
01-09-12, 07:27 PM
Blockbuster does not. They regular go out and buy copies from Wal-Mart etc. for all studios when they don't get any.

I doubt any agreement says that Redbox has to bend over and do whatever Warner wants.
It looks like they had deals until February 1, 2012 but Redbox and Blockbuster are not agreeing to the new Feb 1, 56 day delay deal. Netflix has agreed to the 56 day delay.

New article source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2012/01/redbox-warner-bros-dvd-delay.html

Edison
01-09-12, 10:39 PM

+1

It's annoying enough at 28 days now with Warner Bros, Universal, and Fox I believe. I'll see something in a store and look at Redbox, only to see it's not available yet, and by the time it is my interest has waned. The latimes link also says that Universal is looking to extend the window when their current agreement is up in April.

Gizmo
01-09-12, 11:09 PM
It looks like they had deals until February 1, 2012 but Redbox and Blockbuster are not agreeing to the new Feb 1, 56 day delay deal. Netflix has agreed to the 56 day delay.

New article source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2012/01/redbox-warner-bros-dvd-delay.html

Dish is closing down many more stores...so it likely does not matter for Blockbuster. They apparently closed down the distribution center, so store managers will have to buy their own product (even more so).

Deftones
01-10-12, 08:37 AM

At least someone is standing up to Warner. Funny how it's a newcomer with less clout than Netflix has. I may start renting from Redbox exclusively and cancel Netflix. I'm sick of all the bullshit changes Netflix institutes.

boogieman03
01-10-12, 10:13 AM

This is what I see happening.

Iron_Giant
01-11-12, 06:56 PM
RedBox is not taking the 56 Day Deal and I think this just what WB wanted.

The 40,000 kiosks that RedBox operates will now have to purchase the DVD/BR for a few more per title.

$3 (at least, probably higher) more per movies x 40,000 kiosks = $120,000

Plus all the other Mom & Pop stores around the country, this is even more $$$ in their pockets.

I think this is going to come back and bite them like what happened to Netflix.

Here's hoping that there will be some very bad press about this or that the sales figure will be tons lower than before.

Gizmo
01-11-12, 09:21 PM
RedBox is not taking the 56 Day Deal and I think this just what WB wanted.

The 40,000 kiosks that RedBox operates will now have to purchase the DVD/BR for a few more per title.

$3 (at least, probably higher) more per movies x 40,000 kiosks = $120,000

Plus all the other Mom & Pop stores around the country, this is even more $$$ in their pockets.

I think this is going to come back and bite them like what happened to Netflix.

Here's hoping that there will be some very bad press about this or that the sales figure will be tons lower than before.

WB did not want that.

Redbox will now buy the BD Combo titles and get both the BD and DVD. Those will be rented out the day of release (instead of 28 or 56 days later), which means potentially more lost 'sales'. WB will get 1 sale for each Combo pack sold to Redbox, but how many 'sales' will they lose from people who would have bought but now rented?

Iron_Giant
01-12-12, 08:42 AM
WB did not want that.

Redbox will now buy the BD Combo titles and get both the BD and DVD. Those will be rented out the day of release (instead of 28 or 56 days later), which means potentially more lost 'sales'. WB will get 1 sale for each Combo pack sold to Redbox, but how many 'sales' will they lose from people who would have bought but now rented?

I am thinking WB will stop the BR/DVD combo packs, which will force them to buy the movie twice.

Gizmo
01-12-12, 09:22 AM
I am thinking WB will stop the BR/DVD combo packs, which will force them to buy the movie twice.

No studio will stop the combo pack. Retailers will be reducing the OD footprint in stores for products that actually make them money, and Combo packs is the only way to please both DVD and Blu-ray buyers (all while taking up less room). Blu-ray needs the packed-in DVD.

Iron_Giant
01-12-12, 11:53 AM
No studio will stop the combo pack. Retailers will be reducing the OD footprint in stores for products that actually make them money, and Combo packs is the only way to please both DVD and Blu-ray buyers (all while taking up less room). Blu-ray needs the packed-in DVD.

It seems some of the new release are getting the Blu-Ray only treatment:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_dnav_bw_srch?node=2625373011&field-format_browse-bin=2650305011&page=1&bbn=2625373011&field-releasedate=7x-35y&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0ZSB8EE48TAH4G1QKA7H&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1343253682&pf_rd_i=2901953011
1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part I
2. Killer Elite (Bad movie, so it does not require a BR/DVD Combo)
3. Drive
4. The Ides of March
5. In Time
6. 50/50
7. Abduction
8. The Rum Diary

Disney seems to do a great job with their releases, 3 Disk sets and great video quality.

As BR becomes more popular, the combo disk will go away.

There does seem to be more BR/UltraViolet coming out.
-I like that the digital copy is there, but I hardly ever use it. DC is a great way to go, will work anywhere.
-UV, I do not see myself ever using it. If we go on a long road trip, UV will not work for us.

d2cheer
01-15-12, 08:52 PM

No it won't.

Again it is all about revenue. The combo packs make money. That revenue will never be made up by a blu only release no matter how popular you think blu will become or how hard you want it to overtake the DVD's. It will never be as popular as eveyone wants it to be. DVD sales figures support that.

And a two second search shows a DVD version of this.

http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Saga-Breaking-Two-Disc-Special/dp/B002BWP49C/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1326682411&sr=1-1

Gizmo
01-15-12, 10:18 PM
It seems some of the new release are getting the Blu-Ray only treatment:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_dnav_bw_srch?node=2625373011&field-format_browse-bin=2650305011&page=1&bbn=2625373011&field-releasedate=7x-35y&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0ZSB8EE48TAH4G1QKA7H&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1343253682&pf_rd_i=2901953011
1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part I
2. Killer Elite (Bad movie, so it does not require a BR/DVD Combo)
3. Drive
4. The Ides of March
5. In Time
6. 50/50
7. Abduction
8. The Rum Diary

Disney seems to do a great job with their releases, 3 Disk sets and great video quality.

There does seem to be more BR/UltraViolet coming out.
-I like that the digital copy is there, but I hardly ever use it. DC is a great way to go, will work anywhere.
-UV, I do not see myself ever using it. If we go on a long road trip, UV will not work for us.

All of those films are from studios that don't always typically release combo packs.

Texan26
01-16-12, 03:58 PM
And a two second search shows a DVD version of this.

http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Saga-Breaking-Two-Disc-Special/dp/B002BWP49C/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1326682411&sr=1-1
I think Iron Giant meant that they were not releasing a blu/dvd combo of the title when he stated that the title is getting the blu only treatment. Of course they are releasing a separate DVD version.

d2cheer
01-16-12, 04:06 PM
I think Iron Giant meant that they were not releasing a blu/dvd combo of the title when he stated that the title is getting the blu only treatment. Of course they are releasing a separate DVD version.

:doh:

I believe you are correct... :blush: