Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

NFL Blitz -- XBox Live or PSN -- January 3, 2012

Old 01-04-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
NFL Blitz -- XBox Live or PSN -- January 3, 2012

http://www.ea.com/nfl-blitz

Trailer:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QE9xDJ-2c6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gameplay Tips video:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UXhxRCE-73Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This just came out yesterday. Did anyone here download it yet?

Game Description
•Classic Blitz Gameplay: Fast-paced football action at its best, featuring the 7-on-7 wide-open gameplay of the original arcade hit.Two minute quarters, 30 yards for a first down, no penalties, exciting tackles and, of course, players ON FIRE!
•Blitz in HD: For the first time in franchise history, Blitz hits the gridiron in high definition. Take to the field with top players from each of the 32 NFL teams, play in all 31 NFL stadiums and battle bosses from the Gauntlet at the Blitz Coliseum.
•Ultra-Responsive Controls: Running at 60fps/60Hz, the pick-up-and-play controls perfectly replicate the twitch arcade experience. Disrupt the opposition with stiff arms, knock down receivers before a catch, dive to tackle ball carriers, and hurdle pass for the big play…all with the touch of a button.
•Blitz Battles: Challenge the competition online in head-to-head matches or team up (on a single console or online) 2-on-2, ranking up local, regional, and national Battle Boards - all the way to the Blitz Hall of Fame.
•Blitz Gauntlet: The ultimate single-player challenge! Battle through a multi-tiered Gauntlet, taking on NFLteams and exclusive fantasy character bosses in the Blitz Coliseum. Take down the fantasy character bosses to unlock them for use in all modes.
•Elite League: Join the Elite League and strive to create the perfect squad of ultimate players. Purchase card packs using Blitz Bucks earned through online games to collect players to customize your lineup. Collect an entire NFL team of players to unlock powerful Pro and Ultimate players that give your team the competitive edge. Change the game in unique ways by acquiring and using Power Ups to further your advantage on the field. For the ultimate rush, risk one of your valuable players in a winner-takes-all Risk and Reward game.
•Online Co-op: Grab a teammate on the couch or join a friend online and crush the competition in classic Blitz 2-on-2 style. Track your records against friends to show who owns the Blitz gridiron.
•Blitz Store: Earn Blitz Bucks in every online game mode, then head to the Blitz Store to purchase a ton of intense content. Build your Blitz Elite League team by purchasing card packs and power-ups. Customize your Blitz Battles team with new logos and banners. Take the Blitz experience to the next level with a slew of gameplay and visual cheats. Go behind the scenes and unlock concept art and the famous Blitz cheerleaders.
•Blitz Booth Commentary: The two-man booth includes past NFL Blitz play-by-play announcer, Tim Kitzrow, along with actor Brian Haley. The perfect pair to voice NFL Blitz, Kitzrow and Haley's humorous commentary augments the over-the-top arcade football experience.
According to the e-mail I got, it's 1200 points for XBox Live. I think I might download it later. I liked the old NFL Blitz games from the past alot.
Old 01-04-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: NFL Blitz -- XBox Live or PSN -- January 3, 2012

Didn't know it was out. I'll download it tonight. I loved Blitz back in the day.
Old 01-04-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting the demo now on 360
Old 01-04-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

Wonder how it differs from NFL Arcade that came out two years ago (besides the updated rosters).
Old 01-05-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Just finished the demo, it's exactly the NFL Blitz I remember, right down to the same playbook. However, you can't smash people on the ground once you tackle them, like you could in the past.

Not sure if it's worth $15 though, unless I find out it has a good online community.
Old 01-05-12, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did not enjoy the demo and lack of post release support for NBA Jam made the decision to not buy Blitz very easy.
Old 01-05-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought it and enjoyed it. I only had a chance to play a couple of single player matches.

Only had 1 question. It's been a while, but I remember blitz playing faster. Is that just me?
Old 01-05-12, 04:14 PM

IGN's Review

Closing Comments

The lack of late hits and the inability to change the length of games don’t take away from the fact NFL Blitz is a whole lot of fun. Compounded by the fantastic announcers and ongoing unlocks, NFL Blitz is a great sports experience folded into a downloadable package.

IGN Ratings for NFL Blitz (X360)
Rating Description
out of 10 Click here for ratings guide
9.0 Presentation
The NFL returns to Blitz in a good way, and the crazy unlocks and catching on fire make it fun.
8.5 Graphics
NFL Blitz is a good-looking downloadable game with animations reminiscent of the old arcade days.
9.0 Sound
The announcers are stupendous.
8.5 Gameplay
While you can’t change how long you play or customize games, the playing is mighty fun.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
If NFL Blitz can keep an active online community, it’ll be a fun competition going into the future, and for battles of 4-player local co-op.
OVERALL

Great

(out of 10)

<object id="vid_5aeab0c4ce750d5eb5d80974746fe574" class="ign-videoplayer" width="480" height="270" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/01/04/nfl-blitz-video-review"/></object>

I haven't tried the demo yet. Will do so tonight. Will likely wait for a sale or something. Looks like fun, but I think I only played Madden Arcade like twice, so don't feel the need to buy this right away.
Old 01-05-12, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by thelwig14
Did not enjoy the demo and lack of post release support for NBA Jam made the decision to not buy Blitz very easy.
Yeah, the lack of an updated roster on NBA Jam On Fire -- a game that's only a few months old -- is ridiculous. This is the first NBA season since the game came out during the lockout and we still don't have an active roster to play yet. There's no excuse for that. If ever there were a team made for NBA Jam, (besides Kobe & Shaq, which was almost not sporting to play back in the day) it would be CP3 and Blake Griffin. Why the hell can't I play them together????
Old 01-05-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by boogieman03
I bought it and enjoyed it. I only had a chance to play a couple of single player matches.

Only had 1 question. It's been a while, but I remember blitz playing faster. Is that just me?
One of my biggest complaints...it is definitely on the slower end for Blitz.
Old 01-05-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, the lack of an updated roster on NBA Jam On Fire -- a game that's only a few months old -- is ridiculous. This is the first NBA season since the game came out during the lockout and we still don't have an active roster to play yet. There's no excuse for that. If ever there were a team made for NBA Jam, (besides Kobe & Shaq, which was almost not sporting to play back in the day) it would be CP3 and Blake Griffin. Why the hell can't I play them together????
It makes it worse that they actively advertised roster updates to get people to buy it originally. Classy.
Old 01-16-12, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks. I was hoping there would be good reviews on this.
Old 01-17-12, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by edytwinky
That sucks. I was hoping there would be good reviews on this.
I strongly question your comprehension skills if that's what you are taking away from the comments in this thread.
Old 01-17-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by thelwig14
It makes it worse that they actively advertised roster updates to get people to buy it originally. Classy.
I was going to say why would you expect roster updates on a $15 XBLA or PSN title, but if they advertised them, then you have a beef. Personally, I think NBA Jam is easily worth $15 (or $10 on PSN right now).
Old 01-17-12, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I was going to say why would you expect roster updates on a $15 XBLA or PSN title, but if they advertised them, then you have a beef. Personally, I think NBA Jam is easily worth $15 (or $10 on PSN right now).
Even if they didn't advertise the roster updates (which they in fact did), I would still expect them here since this game came out just before the scheduled start of this NBA season and I can't think of any league and player's association licensed sports game that didn't have an accurate roster in place for at least one season. Even that dreadful, now-delisted NBA game on XBLA had an accurate roster at time of release.
Old 01-18-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

From yesterday:

Kotaku: NBA Jam: On Fire Edition Will Get Roster Updates, EA Sports Says

EA Sports has confirmed to Kotaku that NBA Jam: On Fire Edition will be getting a roster update. The publisher's preceding silence on the subject had led some to believe it had abandoned post-release support for the 2-on-2 arcade basketball game.

Responding to a Kotaku request for comment, an EA Sports spokeswoman said that's not the case. "We will be providing roster updates for NBA Jam: On Fire Edition this season." She didn't say when or how many, specifically, adding only "more information to come."

NBA Jam: On Fire Edition shipped Oct. 4, two months before the end of a lockout that had essentially frozen video game rosters at their 2010-11 season makeup, without any rookies from the June draft. A frenetic free agency period has rearranged the top stars on many teams, while Jam's rosters have remained static to this point.