Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Switched At Birth (ABC Family) - Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-30-11, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone is watching Switched At Birth? How is it?

I was looking over ITunes and noticed that the current episode was at the top of the bestselling tv episodes, even outselling the latest Breaking Bad episode. I was quite surprised.
Old 07-30-11, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Switched At Birth (ABC Family) - Series Thread

I love this show! It's my favorite new show of the summer. Gets better every week too. Surprised there hasn't been too much discussion here, but probably the wrong demographic. I think it's a really good family show, definitely the best show on ABC Family now.
Old 07-30-11, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I watch it every week. It's really good. I'm especially glad that Constance Marie is getting a good dramatic part outside of George Lopez. Probably one of the best new family dramas I've watched. I've shyed away from talking about it here since this forum is way out of it's demographic.

I bet that 99.9% of the lurkers/posters who are clicking on this thread have no clue what this show is and are probably assuming your talking about some NBC or Lifetime Movie of the week starring Jaclyn Smith or Mare Winningham.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-30-11 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-30-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm watching and think it is easily ABC Family's best show (since Greek is no longer with us). I was skeptical at first but the show has really won me over with it's likeable cast.
Old 07-30-11, 01:51 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I watch it every week. It's really good. I'm especially glad that Constance Marie is getting a good dramatic part outside of George Lopez. Probably one of the best new family dramas I've watched. I've shyed away from talking about it here since this forum is way out of it's demographic.

I bet that 99.9% of the lurkers/posters who are clicking on this thread have no clue what this show is and are probably assuming your talking about some NBC or Lifetime Movie of the week starring Jaclyn Smith or Mare Winningham.
It's decent enough. We do discuss PLL, So a Switched at Birth thread might work. It should be renewed any day now, while Kloe King gets canned (.3 last week...while SaB was a 1.3!).
Old 07-30-11, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This has become one of my favorite shows on the network. I'm surprised Luke's daughter can actually act.

I have absolutely no idea why I'm still watching Chloe King. I guess my need for teen melodrama is that damn strong.
Old 07-30-11, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
This has become one of my favorite shows on the network. I'm surprised Luke's daughter can actually act.

I have absolutely no idea why I'm still watching Chloe King. I guess my need for teen melodrama is that damn strong.
She was pretty good on Dexter, too.

I wanted to catch this show, but missed the first two or three episodes, and figured i would be lost so haven't watched.

I hope for a marathon or something to catch up, and am glad to see it may be worth seeing.
Old 07-30-11, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
She was pretty good on Dexter, too.

I wanted to catch this show, but missed the first two or three episodes, and figured i would be lost so haven't watched.

I hope for a marathon or something to catch up, and am glad to see it may be worth seeing.
You are in luck. There is a marathon on Monday August 8th starting at 11am for the 1st 9 episodes leading into the summer finale.

I'm surprised that ABC Family hasn't ordered the back 10-12 episodes of the season yet since it's so close the the finale. This is their highest rated scripted show of the year. It's even overtaken Pretty Little Liars.
Old 07-30-11, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are in luck. There is a marathon on Monday August 8th starting at 11am for the 1st 9 episodes leading into the summer finale.

I'm surprised that ABC Family hasn't ordered the back 10-12 episodes of the season yet since it's so close the the finale. This is their highest rated scripted show of the year. It's even overtaken Pretty Little Liars.
Thanks for the heads up.

I have to admit i was completely unaware it was doing this well or this popular. I am really looking forward to this, now.
Old 07-30-11, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Just got caught up with the last 2 episodes.

Really great stuff. Lots of dramatic tension now with the reveal about Regina.

I'm not a big fan of Bay and Emmett as a couple. It seems to me that he's only pursuing Bay to subliminally make Daphne jealous or something.
Old 07-31-11, 10:17 AM

I'm also glad that Constance Marie is on this show. She is a great actress who can do well with both comedy and drama. She was only cast member on George Lopez that could act.
Old 07-31-11, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I love this show! It's my favorite new show of the summer. Gets better every week too. Surprised there hasn't been too much discussion here, but probably the wrong demographic. I think it's a really good family show, definitely the best show on ABC Family now.
I'm definitely out of the demographic, but I do enjoy this show. I still don't know why I watch American Teenager, but the cast's acting is improving a bit (or maybe it's the dialogue).

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It's decent enough. We do discuss PLL, So a Switched at Birth thread might work. It should be renewed any day now, while Kloe King gets canned (.3 last week...while SaB was a 1.3!).
as well it should.
Old 08-01-11, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did this show change showrunners or anything after the first 1-2 episodes by any chance?

The reason I ask is that it is a rare show that is getting better from its pilot episode. I actually enjoyed the pilot, but they have really done wonders since then: mainly making Bay more likable as well as filling in her real mom's story (one of my earlier criticisms was that she did not seem as interested in getting to know Bay but now they have explained that by revealing she already knew about her.)

They also completely changed the love interests around. They dispatched Bay's boyfriend Liam pretty quickly as a love interest for Daphne and also completely wrote the other guy out by sending him to the Army.

It just made me wonder if the show was deliberately tinkered with after a few episodes, or if it was the plan all along.
Old 08-01-11, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Did this show change showrunners or anything after the first 1-2 episodes by any chance?

The reason I ask is that it is a rare show that is getting better from its pilot episode. I actually enjoyed the pilot, but they have really done wonders since then: mainly making Bay more likable as well as filling in her real mom's story (one of my earlier criticisms was that she did not seem as interested in getting to know Bay but now they have explained that by revealing she already knew about her.)

They also completely changed the love interests around. They dispatched Bay's boyfriend Liam pretty quickly as a love interest for Daphne and also completely wrote the other guy out by sending him to the Army.

It just made me wonder if the show was deliberately tinkered with after a few episodes, or if it was the plan all along.
I think it's one of the show where they saw a good product and adjusted as they went along to make it better. And I agree Bay has grown into a really likeable character as well as Daphne.

As for Ty (Bay's love interest who joined the army) Blair Redford is a lead on the new ABC Family show "The Lying Game" which premieres in a few weeks.
Old 08-01-11, 09:32 AM
Suspended

Picked up for another 22 episodes. This, with the first 10, will be the "First" Season.

Cloe will likely get the axe next week after it's Finale. shocked? Not me. I have 4 episodes on the DVR. Delete time.
Old 08-01-11, 09:39 AM
Suspended

As for Ty (Bay's love interest who joined the army) Blair Redford is a lead on the new ABC Family show "The Lying Game" which premieres in a few weeks.
That's right. He went from 90210, to SaB, to some new show. Poor guy.

What's coming on before/after Lying Game? Seems odd for it to be all alone.
Old 08-01-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's right. He went from 90210, to SaB, to some new show. Poor guy.

What's coming on before/after Lying Game? Seems odd for it to be all alone.
Yeah hes move quite a bit - although not to a new night as all three of those shows are on Monday nights
(well 9020 is now moving to Tuesdays but when he was on the show it was on Monday nights) - also his
ABC Family ones just happened to be on at the same time.

On August 15, a new episode of "Secret Life Of An American Teenager" airs before it at 8:00 pm ET.
Then the premiere episode of "The Lying Game" repeats at 10:00 pm ET. My guess come August 22,
the new 8:00 pm ET episode of "SLOAAT" will be repeated at 10:00 pm ET.

LB...

Last edited by LaxBandit; 08-01-11 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-01-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Picked up for another 22 episodes. This, with the first 10, will be the "First" Season.

Cloe will likely get the axe next week after it's Finale. shocked? Not me. I have 4 episodes on the DVR. Delete time.
Wow, a 32 episode 1st season. That's unheard of these days since the old 90210 and Melrose Place got those kind of episode orders.

I'm happy the show is good. The writers have alot of time until they put together the back half of the season.
Old 08-01-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

I seriously doubt they will be able to run 22 weeks in a row when the show returns in 2012.

I think they will do a 10-12 week Spring run and then a 10-12 week Summer 2012 run.

The DVD release for this show is going to be confusing. I assume these 1st 10 episodes will come out at some point and they will call it "Season 1 Volume 1" or some bullshit like that.
Old 08-02-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Just watched last night's episode.

Man, this show is so good. Some really sweet and poignant moments.

I really liked the birthday party scene, although it was so short. Kathryn's speech was very moving.

I'm glad that Daphne and Regina made up. at how she dissed Regina's birthday gift.

I hated DW Moffett on Friday Night Lights, but I like John on this show. He's been solid playing the father. Daphne and Bay are 2 very lucky girls to both get cars on their birthdays.

It was bound to happen sooner or later that Daphne would realize she's in love with Emmett. I liked Bay's reaction to her revelation.

That Deafenstein DVD was hilarious.

If you haven't seen this show and are interesting in checking it out, they are airing a 9 episode marathon next Monday starting at 11am. The summer finale is afterwards (episode 10). If any of you here are fans of the show Parenthood, I think this would be up your ally.
Old 08-03-11, 03:53 AM

I want a Deafenstein release on Blu-ray, pronto.
Old 08-09-11, 02:56 PM

I thought the latest episode was pretty good, as well. I guess that was the 10th episode and the Summer Finale. The show doesn't return until apparently January 2012, but is supposed to come back with 22 additional episode, making the total number of episodes for Season 1 to be a whopping 32.
Old 08-09-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I cried when Emmet spoke to Bay. Wow. That was amazing.
Old 08-10-11, 04:02 AM

I knew exactly what he was gonna say, it was pretty cliché... but I'd be lying my ass off if i say that didn't surprise the shit outta me.
Old 08-10-11, 09:23 AM
Suspended

I cried when Emmet spoke to Bay. Wow. That was amazing.
Finally. Sorry, but if he could talk, he should talk. He expects everyone else to learn Sign but refuses to speak to them when it gets 'tough' (i.e. they don't understand him).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.