TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Full Metal Jousting - new show coming to the History Channel

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-12, 04:40 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Full Metal Jousting - new show coming to the History Channel

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3z9ZX2fagho?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://pilgrimstudios.com/casting/jousting/
Old 01-03-12, 05:57 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Full Metal Jousting - new show coming to the History Channel

Follow on from Knights of Mayhem ? that was pretty cool
Old 02-12-12, 08:30 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

this is on 10PM tonight (with multiple re-airings after)
Old 02-13-12, 07:10 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

anyone watch? I thought it was pretty good...
Old 02-13-12, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate History Channel. I don't understand what most of the shows have to do with history anymore. I know jousting is a historical sport, but still just a stupid reality show.
Old 02-13-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Thy game is over.
Old 02-13-12, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shady12
I hate History Channel. I don't understand what most of the shows have to do with history anymore. I know jousting is a historical sport, but still just a stupid reality show.
I might be totally off base, but I'm guessing that The History Channels "history related" shows aren't very highly rated. My guess is that their stupid reality shows are the only things anybody watches on that channel.

And for the record, I agree with you. I hate all that stupid crap. Alligator People, Shipping Wars, Swamp People, Logger Dudes, etc, etc, etc, etc, but unfortunately that's the only swill that people seem to watch nowadays.

When 20,000 people tune in to something about WWII, but 1 million watch Bayou Billionaires, what do you think the powers that be are going to focus on.

And by the way, I assume that many of the shows I listed are on different networks, but I don't care enough to actually look them up. I do know that The History Channel has a ton of these non history reality shows though.
Old 02-13-12, 03:03 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

so, anyone actually watch it? or are y'all just talkin' out your ass?
Old 02-13-12, 03:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I watched it. Sort of OK. I'll probably watch another episode before deciding if I like it or not. Of course, by then I'll get sucked in to the "drama" I suspect will take place. OK, but wouldn't be my first choice for entertainment. Of course, I'm never really choosy when I watch something on TV.
Old 02-13-12, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't watch the show, but one of the previews for it bothered me.

The jouster said "Jousting may be the only sport that has no defense"

OK, first, bowling and golf have no defense. I guess you could say they aren't sports, but there's no defense. Second, jousters carry shields! A shield is a textbook definition of DEFENSE!

As for History and their programming, the main History Channel is basically slipping down the MTV path. MTV looks nothing like it did 30 years ago, and has next to nothing to do with music. MTV started shifting their more music driven programming to MTV 2 and then the MTV video specific channels and VH1 Classic.

History has shifted much of it's historical programming to H2, which until recently was called History International. Of course H2 isn't completely free of the main channel's plague. H2 will be the home of Top Guns, which is a spin-off of History's Top Shot. Top Guns will be focusing on the fire arms, giving a more in depth look at them. So in that case, it's more historical than Top Shot, which is just the competition.

H2 is also the new home of Modern Marvels, and stuff like How The States Got Their Shapes has been moved there as well.
Old 02-14-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caught the rerun last night, can't say I was very drawn in, I'll give it another shot but I don't think the lead guy has what it takes to pull this off. The joust itself was pretty boring too, but presumably that should improve over time. Hopefully some interesting characters start standing out soon.

I'm not sure why, but it irritated the hell out of me the way they said "grand guard" over and over.
Old 02-14-12, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I caught this last night. Better than Knights of Mayhem IMO since it's a competition show rather than a basic reality show. I find it strange that two channels come out with completely different shows about jousting so close to each other.
Old 02-14-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I might be totally off base, but I'm guessing that The History Channels "history related" shows aren't very highly rated. My guess is that their stupid reality shows are the only things anybody watches on that channel.

And for the record, I agree with you. I hate all that stupid crap. Alligator People, Shipping Wars, Swamp People, Logger Dudes, etc, etc, etc, etc, but unfortunately that's the only swill that people seem to watch nowadays.

When 20,000 people tune in to something about WWII, but 1 million watch Bayou Billionaires, what do you think the powers that be are going to focus on.

And by the way, I assume that many of the shows I listed are on different networks, but I don't care enough to actually look them up. I do know that The History Channel has a ton of these non history reality shows though.
I agree, I'm sure that's why. Last thing I remember watching was WWII in HD actually, which was awesome.
Old 03-03-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

getting caught up now
having read the S.M. Stirling's emberverse books this interests me as there was jousting combat in some of the books. Although in the books they weren't using blunted lances at a specific target, they were fighting to kill and trying to get their lance past the other's shield

this show has potential for some entertainment