Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Gas gift cards on eBay, am I missing something here?

Jason
01-01-12, 06:49 PM
So I saw this auction and was a bit dumbfounded:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Sheetz-Gas-Gift-Card-/160707008321?pt=US_Gift_Cer

Basically, it's a $50 gas card that sold for $52.51. I noticed in the eBay links above the auction that there were other gas cards going for over their face value. It seems to only be gas cards. The Best Buy cards I saw the other day went for 90%+ of face value, but not over it. Why would anyone pay more than the face value here?

kvrdave
01-01-12, 07:03 PM
Sometimes you do whatever it takes to win.

cungar
01-01-12, 07:06 PM
Sometimes you do whatever it takes to win.

Even if it means being an idiot.

riotinmyskull
01-01-12, 07:13 PM
are there such things as ebay gift cards? i'm thinking maybe someone might have received one as a gift and is trying to buy something useful with it even if it means spending a couple extra bucks.

Thunderball
01-01-12, 07:18 PM
There are eBay gift cards, yes.

The Cow
01-01-12, 07:24 PM
Buyers with stolen credit cards (and/or hacked Paypal accounts).

TheBigDave
01-01-12, 07:30 PM
Or maybe the buyer has a bunch of eBay Bucks credits.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/ebay-bucks.html

Nick Danger
01-01-12, 10:51 PM
Money laundering. People selling stuff back and forth to build up good feedback ratings. Hacked PayPal accounts. Or just plain stupid bidders.

JTH182
01-01-12, 11:58 PM
Must be for the reasons listed above... I've seen cards fo for more than face, but I was able to get $300 of DELL cards for $230 :D

Rex Fenestrarum
01-02-12, 01:38 AM
I gave up on "eBay logic" with the first Halo novel. I was all about the video game at the time, and saw a used copy of the book on eBay for $1. Keep in mind that the book wasn't at all rare: almost any decent bookstore in the US carried it at the time. Anyway, I gave up when the book hit $3 (shipping was $2, and I could buy the book new at a B&M store for $6.99). I kept up with the auction, though, and some dumbass ended up paying $10.85 + $2 shipping for a used book I bought new for something like $7.50 with tax.

rexinnih
01-02-12, 12:08 PM
The gas station wouldn't accept the $1,000,000 bill.

Th0r S1mpson
01-02-12, 01:02 PM
When you use a gas card the gas is more refined and gets better mileage so $53 of gas card gas actually drives further than $50 of gas with a debit or credit card.

DeputyDave
01-02-12, 02:28 PM
I gave up on "eBay logic" with the first Halo novel. I was all about the video game at the time, and saw a used copy of the book on eBay for $1. Keep in mind that the book wasn't at all rare: almost any decent bookstore in the US carried it at the time. Anyway, I gave up when the book hit $3 (shipping was $2, and I could buy the book new at a B&M store for $6.99). I kept up with the auction, though, and some dumbass ended up paying $10.85 + $2 shipping for a used book I bought new for something like $7.50 with tax.

I received a free Chiefs Jersey that I put on eBay. I started the auction at $.01 with $3.00 shipping. It was free so whatever I made was going to be gravy. In the photo I clearly showed the new price tag from a local Sports Authority shop with a price of $39.95. The Chiefs were on a winning run at the time so a bidding war starts. The winner paid over $70 for it. This was not a rare or valuable jersey. It was the type you can find at any Wal-Mart and of the most common and popular Chiefs player.. The kicker was when I got the shipping information to mail it off the winner turned out to be here in San Diego where the tag clearly showed the jersey was bought for almost half what he paid for it.

Jason
01-02-12, 02:39 PM
I did some research and found this gem on a $100 Shell gas card that sold for $120

Beat inflation...No expiration and no dormancy fees...Buy now and use a year from now when gas is .25 cents more per gallon.

Is it any wonder so many people are drowning in debt?

It's not like the seller is making much on it. After ebay/paypal fees, he's only making $5.58 (assuming he actually bought the card).

Gizmo
01-02-12, 02:54 PM
eBayers are dumb. Nuff said. They regular overpay for shit that is cheaper on Amazon.

It's alright, it makes me money.

Goat3001
01-02-12, 03:44 PM
Does anyone have one of those gas stations around them? Maybe they have some sort of deal where if you use a gift card you get something like a nickel a gallon off the price?

crankyman
01-02-12, 04:08 PM
some people only have paypal accounts and no bank accounts. so they overpay for gift cards for everyday things to buy locally. i think that was the reasoning the last time this weirdness popped up here.

Gizmo
01-02-12, 05:51 PM
some people only have paypal accounts and no bank accounts. so they overpay for gift cards for everyday things to buy locally. i think that was the reasoning the last time this weirdness popped up here.

Does eBay allow EBT or welfare cards? If so that's probably why.

crankyman
01-02-12, 07:19 PM
why the fuck are you asking me? is it because i live in georgia? huh?? not everybody in georgia is on wellfare and lives in a trailer and has tires in the front yard that his toothless wife planted some plastic flowers in. the ignrance here is astounding. the flowers happen to look really nice.

Dean Kousoulas
01-02-12, 07:40 PM
This thread's all the proof I need to quit my job and make a living selling gas gift cards on eBay.

cungar
01-02-12, 08:30 PM

So it's easier to buy a card in an online auction and wait for it to arrive than go to an ATM and pick up some cash?

logrus9
01-02-12, 08:58 PM
They're collectibles! They'll go for 10X as much when the market goes up.

crankyman
01-02-12, 09:09 PM
So it's easier to buy a card in an online auction and wait for it to arrive than go to an ATM and pick up some cash?

dunno. they could also have a paypal account that doesn't come with any debit/credit cards or whatever.

Gizmo
01-02-12, 11:58 PM
why the fuck are you asking me? is it because i live in georgia? huh?? not everybody in georgia is on wellfare and lives in a trailer and has tires in the front yard that his toothless wife planted some plastic flowers in. the ignrance here is astounding. the flowers happen to look really nice.

You went crazy. Wasn't asking you a question. Calm down. Breathe. Shhhh.

asabase
01-03-12, 06:18 AM
People (bidders) are/were getting cashback through things like Bing and credit card reward promos. Enough to justify overpaying.

Venusian
01-03-12, 07:41 AM
A while ago there was some deal where you got cash back for buying on ebay like 20% back (i think it was through bing) so people were buying a lot of stuff that was equivalent to cash (gift cards) even if it was more than face value to cash in on the deal

crankyman
01-03-12, 08:42 AM
You went crazy. Wasn't asking you a question. Calm down. Breathe. Shhhh.

and now you're telling me to calm down??? are you my toothless, plastic flower planting wife?? NO. YOU ARE'NT. SO WHY DON'T YOU CALM DOWN???

Gizmo
01-03-12, 09:15 AM
and now you're telling me to calm down??? are you my toothless, plastic flower planting wife?? NO. YOU ARE'NT. SO WHY DON'T YOU CALM DOWN???

Well, you certainly don't help that "Georgian" stereotype. Do you play the scratchers a lot?

crankyman
01-03-12, 09:21 AM
uhhhh. yeah. i play the birthdates of my daughters, condoleezza marie, gummy sue (i got to cut her umbrellica cord!) and rubella scabies. why?

d2cheer
01-03-12, 11:55 AM
Money laundering.

First thing that came to mind for me.

Tom Creo
01-03-12, 12:01 PM
I'm stupid. Who's the one doing the money laundering? The Buyer or the seller?

JTH182
01-03-12, 01:34 PM
A while ago there was some deal where you got cash back for buying on ebay like 20% back (i think it was through bing) so people were buying a lot of stuff that was equivalent to cash (gift cards) even if it was more than face value to cash in on the deal

God those were good times... that was just free money from Microsoft!

JTH182
01-03-12, 01:35 PM

You could try looking it up in the dictionary.

d2cheer
01-03-12, 03:22 PM

I was thinking the buyer and possibly sending cash for it. Might seem small but if they did enough auctions...then resell the card for clean cash. Or use it and get cash back on a small purchase.

adrenaline78
01-03-12, 07:10 PM
eBayers are dumb. Nuff said. They regular overpay for shit that is cheaper on Amazon.

It's alright, it makes me money.

Well right.. People do what it takes to WIN... not to spend as little money as possible.. which is ridiculous cause they then spend more $ than they intended. But at least they won. Idiots.

To me it doesn't matter when you bid on the auction, come up with a price you want to pay, bid that amount. and if you win great, if not there will be more of the same item.

And I would never buy a gift card on ebay. I bet the majority of them are bought with stolen cc#'s, and then you are taking the risk on receiving stolen items and then using stolen item that can be tracked.

Wazootyman
01-04-12, 04:12 AM
Also does this for PSN cards. Recently, the $20 ones were on sale for $19 at Target. With my employee discount, that brought them to about $16.25, so I purchased one, redeemed it and almost immediately regretted it. "Ebay, of course!" I scolded myself. But then I searched and every single one listed (about 20 of em) were all hovering around $22. I contemplated getting into the PSN flipping business but realized there's far too much effort to do that.

SuperJim88
01-05-12, 04:32 PM

The dry cleaner.