Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ps3 or xbox 360 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-11, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ps3 or xbox 360 ?

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of buying a video game console this week. I know i am to late in getting one. I Would like anybody opinion. Which one should i get a PS3 or Xbox 360 ? I know it all comes down to personal choice. Once again I would like to hear Opinions. Another thing is it worth buying either one now ? or should i wait until the so called PS4 or Xbox 720 to be released ? Thank you very much and Happy new year.
Old 12-31-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Ps3 or xbox 360 ?

This question comes up so often. If we had a decent mod around here he could merge the 20 other threads like this into one and sticky it. [runs and hides behind dusty Wii]
Old 12-31-11, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by edstein
This question comes up so often. If we had a decent mod around here he could merge the 20 other threads like this into one and sticky it. [runs and hides behind dusty Wii]
I am so sorry for making another thread about this topic. I'm new here this is my first official thread lol
Old 12-31-11, 02:13 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you have unofficial threads?

To answer your question, there is no sign of a PS4 or XBox 720, so don't wait for those. The PS3 is a decent BluRay player, so if you need one of those, consider the PS3. There are also a few exclusive games for both platforms (Gears of War on the 360 for example, and Uncharted on the PS3), so if any of those games have really captured your imagination, factor that in. Otherwise, while the 360 has a somewhat better/more active online community, it really comes down to what clicks with you. I'd recommend going to a Best Buy and playing around with both, see which controller feels better in your hands, and just get a feel for both systems. But at this point, it's more or less a coin flip.
Old 12-31-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
A sticky is a great idea
Old 12-31-11, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
Do you have unofficial threads?

To answer your question, there is no sign of a PS4 or XBox 720, so don't wait for those. The PS3 is a decent BluRay player, so if you need one of those, consider the PS3. There are also a few exclusive games for both platforms (Gears of War on the 360 for example, and Uncharted on the PS3), so if any of those games have really captured your imagination, factor that in. Otherwise, while the 360 has a somewhat better/more active online community, it really comes down to what clicks with you. I'd recommend going to a Best Buy and playing around with both, see which controller feels better in your hands, and just get a feel for both systems. But at this point, it's more or less a coin flip.
Thank you for you opinion i appreciate it.
Old 12-31-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you're going to play online I would consider what console your friends have. Gaming with friends is much better than random Internet asshats.
Old 12-31-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Dreamcast.
Old 12-31-11, 09:58 PM

Need a poll
Old 12-31-11, 10:00 PM

I have both systems.

I prefer the 360 for Live experience and online gaming. You pay for Live, but it's only between $30-$40 a year when you find a deal. The overall game library is better as well. The controller is much more comfortable than its rival.

I prefer the PS3 for its media capabilities, streaming, etc. And, of course, the ability to play Bluray. Online play is free, but subject to weird lag at times.
Old 01-01-12, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Dreamcast.
omg i forgot to add the Dreamcast as an option also. Thats one of the greatest console ever created. No wonder its up there with ps3 and 360. lmao ha ha ha
Old 01-01-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you wanna do either/or when it comes to PS3 and 360, I'd recommend just looking at the exclusive franchises for each and deciding which appeal to you more...
Old 01-01-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In addition to the above you really should try out each controller. That PS3 controller is just to small for me.
Old 01-02-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I just got an Xbox 360 with Kinect, largely so my wife could play Dance Central. Kinect games are great for parties, with people jumping in and out of quick games. Fruit Ninja was made for the Kinect.
Old 01-02-12, 08:23 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a 360 owner. I have had a 360 since launch back in November 2005...man has it been that long? I love it.
Old 01-02-12, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
I am a 360 owner. I have had a 360 since launch back in November 2005...
The same one?
Old 01-02-12, 08:42 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The same one?
no, i have had the RRoD 4 times. however this one has been going strong for the past 3 years. knock on wood.
Old 01-02-12, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was a Playstation fanboy until the 360 came along. Whenever I bought a cross-platform game it was always the 360 version. All of my online friends were on Live and most of my "real" friends had xboxes so it made perfect sense. Then Valkyria Chronicles came out, it was a game changer for me. I realized that Sony was releasing the exclusives that I was after: Uncharted, LBP, MGS, etc. I began to ignore my 360 more and more, and then I ran into all these douchebags over in the weekly Warhawk game. After a few weeks with those retards I knew I was never going back to the XBOX for anything except the music games.

What I'm saying is: buy the system that has the exclusives you want. If it's Halo, Gears of War, etc you owe it to yourself to pick up that XBOX. If you want games like Uncharted, Little Big Planet, etc then run out and snag that PS3. Either way I see a win-win situation. Happy gaming!
Old 01-03-12, 11:06 PM

wow thank you all for your opinions and Im leaning towards the PS3.
Old 01-04-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I have both and prefer the 360 controler, so if I get a game I am going to play a lot like Skyrim, it is going to be on 360. OTOH, I gameshare on the PS3 and have gotten a ton of games for really cheap in the time that I have owned it. 360 handles system and game updates much better than ps3. You can upgrade your hard drive on the PS3 to 750 GB easily and cheaply (if/when hard drive prices come down) with an off the shelf laptop HDD. I think that PS+ has been having better sales as of late. In the end, either one is pretty great. If I had to only have one, I would choose the PS3 just because of all the games I have gotten thanks to gamesharing. Now that gamesharing has been nerfed, if you want the cheapest console (games, periferals and the like), then 360 is the better choice (easier to get stuff like RB guitars, microphones and other things on clearance).
Old 01-04-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I've had a PS3 since launch...it's now back in the box because I got a 360 for Christmas and LOVE it. The PS3 is fine if you don't plan to do anything online, but if you do, their online server is the WORST. It's slow, is often down, and I probably don't have to tell you about the security breaches they've had.

Since getting my 360, I've been online practically every day, and their server (and services offered) are far superior from what you'll get from Sony.

The only advantage I can see to the PS3 is that it can play Blu-rays...that was a big deal five years ago, but now Blu-ray players are so cheap, it shouldn't even be a consideration.

Get a 360!
Old 01-04-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Did Sony and Microsoft get dedicated online servers for all of their games or something? What on the PS3 was slow or often down? I'd think that it would have to do with individual titles and not necessarily the systems. That being said, I have bought the majority of my multiplayer titles on 360 because, like others, that's what my friends have.

Various things to consider:

Exclusives, of course. Halo/Gears of War/Fourza/Fable vs. Uncharted/Ratchet and Clank/Demon's Souls/Gran Turismo/Little Big Planet
If you want to play with your friends, what do they have? Do you play online enough to justify a Live Gold sub?
Kinect vs. Move.
HDD space. The PS3 is upgradeable with a laptop drive, the 360 will force you to buy a proprietary drive (which is weird considering how much Sony loves proprietary storage formats)
XBLA vs. PSN. There are also exclusives to each. There is a demo for every XBLA game, something that Sony has for some reason yet to implement. Sony does have some PS1 and PS2 games to download, however

The 360 handles updates to games and the system much smoother. While it's gotten a lot better, PS3 updates still take a lot longer. And there are often mandatory installs to the PS3 hard drive for games, so there are times when you want ot pick up and play a new game but have to wait 30 minutes or longer the first time you put a game in.

There are some games that just work better on one platform or another. Usually, that's the 360, but not always. Sometimes the PS3 version doesn't need disk swapping.
Old 01-04-12, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I've had a PS3 since launch...it's now back in the box because I got a 360 for Christmas and LOVE it. The PS3 is fine if you don't plan to do anything online, but if you do, their online server is the WORST. It's slow, is often down, and I probably don't have to tell you about the security breaches they've had.

Since getting my 360, I've been online practically every day, and their server (and services offered) are far superior from what you'll get from Sony.

The only advantage I can see to the PS3 is that it can play Blu-rays...that was a big deal five years ago, but now Blu-ray players are so cheap, it shouldn't even be a consideration.

Get a 360!
Im not really a gamer but my nephew has a PS and i love the mlb the show 11 game and Nba 2k11 game madden etc. I have a Blu-ray player already. I have asked people and alot have told me Xbox 360. I have notice the ps3 online server to be kind of slow. I have never tried the Xbox online server.
I was playing MLB 2k11 the other at game stop on Xbox live and i found the control to be a pain in the ass. But when i played WWE all stars the control was smooth. I guess it depends on the game.
Old 01-04-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got both, but only just recently picked up a 360. I wanted access to Halo, Gears of Wars, Mass Effect 1, Alan Wake, etc. I still plan on buying most multiplatform games on PS3, but when one of them is supposed to be much better on 360 (Bayonetta), then I'll go with that version...
Old 01-05-12, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It isn't too late to get into this generation of games, the systems are cheap and the games are plenty. The 360 has already exceeded the life span of the original XBox and the PS3 has strongly rebounded from what I considered a fairly awful first year.
To echo what has already been said, if you have friends that play online, get whatever system they have(which I would guess would be the 360). I think the 360 is the better gaming system as more people have them, I believe there is a better overall catalog and Live "just works". I hate having to pay for Live, but it has been a relatively problem-free service since I was using it at launch on the Xbox, something I cannot say for PSN.
For multi-platform games, I always go 360 for games with a heavy multiplayer component and will only consider the PS3 version if it gets better reviews, as I prefer the 360 controller.
I have my entire movie/TV catalog backed up and available to stream wired to any room of the house, not to mention Netflix. Both systems are capable media extenders, but the PS3 has been better in this regard. I also prefer the Bluetooth PS3 remote over the IR remote of the 360.