Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : iTunes - How to sync both iPod *and* iPhone?

Joxer
12-30-11, 12:38 AM
I have both an iPod Touch 2G and and iPhone 4. I had somehow set both of my devices to use my same log in with the app store (even though I have them logged in to separate apple IDs in Settings->Store) I'm guessing the apple ID and the app store log ins are different. So here's the problem I'm having. I have had to reset my ipod touch and now, after the reset, it's currently syncing all of my *iphone* apps to my ipod. I am wanting my two devices to be completely separate on my computer each with their own apps and music. I'm sure there's an easy way to do this that I am just missing.

Supermallet
12-30-11, 05:45 AM
In iTunes, when you have the iPod plugged in, disable the automatic syncing of new apps. Then, in the apps tab, you can choose which apps you want to have on the iPod manually.

You can still do the manual part without disabling automatic sync, but if you don't disable sync then any time you download something on your phone it will try to load that on your iPod the next time you go to the App Store.

Joxer
12-30-11, 11:41 AM
Ok, I plugged in my ipod and went to the Apps section of it. I unchecked Sync Apps but that brought up a warning window that said "Are you sure you do not want to sync apps? All existing apps and their data on the ipod "Ipod Name" will be removed." I do have apps on my ipod that I want, so does that mean I will have to remove all of my apps and re-download the ones I want?

RoboDad
12-30-11, 12:15 PM
That's not the setting you want to change. On the Apps tab, down below the apps list, there is a checkbox marked "automatically sync new apps". Uncheck that setting, and you can then select the apps you want to sync from the list.

Joxer
12-30-11, 01:01 PM
Ah, ok I found it. Now, does this mean if I do a manual sync (Clicking the Sync button) these apps will still be installed? or should I just manually move each app onto my ipod that I want?

You would think that my two devices could have their own profiles in itunes seeing as they are named differently.

RoboDad
12-30-11, 09:08 PM
It means that only the apps that have a check mark in the list will be considered for synchronization, whether a sync is automatic or manual.

As for having two profiles, have you tried logging out of iTunes (assuming it is connected using the ID from your phone), and logging back in using the ID that is on your iPod? I admit I am kind of fishing here, since I have never had two devices with different Apple IDs connected to the same PC before. However, my assumption is that the ID used in iTunes overrides the settings on the device, and assumes that it is the one that is authorized for the device. How you were able to have it behave differently before is a puzzle to me.