DVD Talk
Anybody have success with data recovery companies? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have success with data recovery companies?

Lateralus
12-29-11, 10:17 AM
A coworkers external hard drive has died and it won't even spin up, have anybody have any success at companies that do data recovery?

There seems like there is a ton of companies out there, I'm looking for a good recommendation.

Thanks!

fumanstan
12-29-11, 10:33 AM
I have, although I imagine it will be hard for a specific recommendation based on your location. It costs a few grand, but the few times we've had to bring a drive in at work they were able to recover everything we needed.

Lateralus
12-29-11, 10:40 AM
I have some data recovery tools here and I will try it out first, but the way the end user is talking the drive does not even spin up; if the electronics are dead that is past my ability for recovery.

I'm in Pennsylvania, and the end user already has a quote from Seagate for $1200.

stevevt
12-29-11, 05:41 PM
Freezer trick!

(Use the Google.)

4KRG
12-29-11, 06:51 PM
I thought at one point seagate owned ontrack or something like that, so if he has a quote from seagate, this may ultimately be the same company :)

http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/

Use them all the time due to people being too lazy/stupid to backup their data. Maybe 1 out of 100 they are not able to recover ALL the data, but they always get something ;) Very pricey though.

X
12-29-11, 07:47 PM
Freezer trick!

(Use the Google.)Yeah, especially for no-spinup. Maybe the oven trick or the kick trick if the freezer doesn't work.

I'd sure take it out of the enclosure first and see if it works in another one.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0