Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

1980's Trivia Show

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-11, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980's Trivia Show

Hey!!

I was hoping you all could help -- I've been looking off and on on the internets for information on this show, but really don't know what I'm searching for ... Thought I would throw it out here...

a couple of hints:

The first episode had like maybe 1000 contestants, a question was asked and the people playing would run to a large 'yes/no or true/false' circle ... if you were wrong - ELIMINATION!!

later on as the episodes moved on and contestants were eliminated, the players got to go to Europe (?), but only half got to board the plane - you had to beat 'the other guy 'at rock,paper scissors' to get on the plane ..

anyway, I just want to know someone else remembers this!
Old 12-28-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: 1980's Trivia Show

Never heard of this one. Doesn't even sound familiar.
Old 12-29-11, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

This sounds like a Japanese game show. Didn't it come down to an elimination contest between two people on top of the world trade center in the summer, trapped in sweaty plastic boxes while women in bikinis paraded around with pitchers of ice cold beer?
Old 12-29-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Never seen this either - in the 80's you only had 13 channels to choose from - so a game show like this with 1,000 contestants would be memorable.

One would assume it would be a network TV show that would be able to get that many people - so now we are down to 5 or so channels... sorry nothing is coming to mind.

Where did you see this? what part to of the country / state -- could this have been a local affiliate type of show?
Old 12-29-11, 07:54 PM

I grew up in Oklahoma City, with the big 3 and 3 independent channels (and PBS) ... I remember it being on one of the networks (and almost positive in the summer). I was maybe 8-12 years old, so maybe 1980-84..

It may not have been trivia, maybe just randoms challenges? -- anyway, no one I know remembers this, either (but I'm surprised how many 40-50 years old fools that I know don't remember the Battle of the Network Stars!!) -- and all I remember were those two parts. I thought it was cool so many people got chance to be in the game show.

anyways, thanks guys for at least responding and not leaving my post hanging!!

**After writing my post, I thought I would check Wiki, didnt realize they have all the network fall/spring and summer schedules for each year -- guess I'll check it out!**

Last edited by Chembree; 12-29-11 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Wiki is my friend!
Old 12-31-11, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

do you remember any more episodes or tasks? Maybe it was a contest? Sometimes the local news station would run contests for trips to Europe or some wacky prizes and get lots of people.
Old 12-31-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Weird, I also vaguely remember seeing this show when I was a kid but I've never come across the name of it. It started out with tons of contestants and got narrowed down. Definitely early 80's. Wasn't there also something with lots of balloons getting released too? Be great to know the name of it.
Old 01-03-12, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Ok Chembree we got an answer. I asked about this at the GSN boards where the game show savants hang out. I knew they wouldn't let us down.

http://www.gsn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3672

The show was called "All American Ultra Quiz" hosted by Rowan & Martin and based on the Japanese show called Trans America Ultra Quiz. There was also a British version.

All American Ultra Quiz aired in 2 parts in November 1981 on NBC, according to this newspaper article.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5954,2190913

It started off in L.A.'s Dodger Stadium with 2,000 contestants that were whittled down by guessing if a parachutist would land on a 30 inch circle. Finalists took off for Europe to go head to head for a grand prize of $100,000.

It's funny, for years I thought this had the word "quiz" in the title. I was always reminded of the 80's handheld game "Quiz-Wiz" when this show crossed my mind.
Old 01-03-12, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea going to GSN. Nice work.
Old 01-03-12, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

God bless the internet!
Old 01-03-12, 06:46 PM

Many, Many Thanks Philo...Great idea with the GSN forums, and I appreciate the extra effort in posting over there to get an answer!

That is exactly the show I was thinking of, I remember Rowan & Martin now that you mention it!

you totally rock -- I'll buy you a soda pop one day!