Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Samsung BD-D6500/5500

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Samsung BD-D6500/5500

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-11, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Samsung BD-D6500/5500

I need help proving that the Samsung BD-D6500/5500 machines have troubles:
(1) Playing back "CARS 2/3D"
(2) "APPS UPDATER" is deleting installed apps!
(3) The setting for 3D => 2D does not work (this is a setting in firmware that should allow 3D disc's to play back on a non-3D set.

If you can video these errors and post them in a public viewing area where I can have the Samsung Tech's view these errors in action it will help all...

The more people that post the better.

I know that a hardware reviewer for "Digital Trends" has posted in his review of the BD-D6500 the "APPS UPDATER" error.

avid
Old 12-28-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: Samsung BD-D6500/5500

Originally Posted by DEC29111
(3) The setting for 3D => 2D does not work (this is a setting in firmware that should allow 3D disc's to play back on a non-3D set.

If you can video these errors and post them in a public viewing area where I can have the Samsung Tech's view these errors in action it will help all...

I know that a hardware reviewer for "Digital Trends" has posted in his review of the BD-D6500 the "APPS UPDATER" error.

avid
Sorry mr. Smiley-Face Avid I have a Sony but good luck with this.
Old 12-28-11, 11:07 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

avid
Wait, what?

Making a 3D disc play in 2D?
Old 12-28-11, 11:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah, OP you may want to check the manual regarding the 3D options. More than likely it has the capability to convert 2D to 3D.
Old 12-29-11, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Yeah, OP you may want to check the manual regarding the 3D options. More than likely it has the capability to convert 2D to 3D.
Yes the firmware has an option to where if the player is connected to a non-3D TV you could play back a 3D disc as if it was a 2D disc...

From what I understand it should play back just the left image.

avid
Old 12-29-11, 08:21 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Looking up the firmware updates on the Samsung site, there is only this:

< BD-D6500 Firmware >

This Firmware update provides the following benefits:

Ver.1020.5 Dec.20.2011
- Improved specific BD title''s playback compatibility

Ver.1018.1 Oct.19.2011
- Improved ''Vudu'' compatibility

Ver.1015.5 Aug.31.2011
- OSD modification

Ver.1008.1 Apr.01.2011
- Improved Widget compatibility

All I can say is....good luck! Sounds like you want your player to do something it can't do.
Old 12-29-11, 09:34 AM
Suspended

Yeah, that does not make much sense. Why would you want it to anyway? When you buy the 3D Disc, you get a 2D Disc (or the 2D Copy is playable on the 3D Disc). Just...watch that one.
Old 12-29-11, 07:41 PM

Why:

(1) Because I can not return it... it is past the return time frame...

(2) I have purchased a replacement "Sony" machine and just want this Samsung that I purchased in May'2011 to work correctly!!

(3) There are 3D disc's being sold with out the BluRay/DVD disc's and once this Samsung machine get fixed it is going into my home office and it only has a 22" TV.

(4) The "App Error" did not start till Samsung updated the App Software in Oct

(5) The machine was sent for repair and returned un-repaired!!.. and two days after return Samsung released the firmware on 12/22/11 which fixed two of my troublesome disc's.

: David
Old 12-29-11, 08:48 PM
Suspended

I still don't understand this.

Just buy the 2D version of the films and...watch them in 2D. You know you can play 2D Discs in this machine, right?
Old 12-29-11, 09:38 PM

Gizmo:

If you purchased any device with an advertised feature and the advertised feature did not work would you not complain?

I bet you buy the Language & Image Edited for TV, 4X3 standard format DVD's.. because they will play back on your DVD player just fine.. ..not the 16X9 unrated Director cuts..

I purchased for a feature that is not working!!

PS: If I remember correctly you are the same "GIZMO" that complained loudly about DVD's not being 16X9 and being FLAT MATTED 3X4 widescreen... the the DVD's packaging stated "Widescreen"..
Also I have a 'Sony' 3D player that I purchased when I sent my Samsung in for repair that if I had known that it was such a much better machine in May 2011 I would of purchased it first, so when things get working correctly the Samsung will be used as a back up or in my office or if they start making smaller 3D sets I might upgrade my office TV.
Old 12-29-11, 09:43 PM
Suspended

Gizmo:

If you purchased any device with an advertised feature and the advertised feature did not work would you not complain?

I bet you buy the Language & Image Edited for TV, 4X3 standard format DVD's.. because they will play back on your DVD player just fine.. ..not the 16X9 unrated Director cuts..

I purchased for a feature that is not working!!

PS: If I remember correctly you are the same "GIZMO" that complained loudly about DVD's not being 16X9 and being FLAT MATTED 3X4 widescreen... the the DVD's packaging stated "Widescreen"..
Also I have a 'Sony' 3D player that I purchased when I sent my Samsung in for repair that if I had known that it was such a much better machine in May 2011 I would of purchased it first, so when things get working correctly the Samsung will be used as a back up or in my office or if they start making smaller 3D sets I might upgrade my office TV.
No where on the box does Samsung state you can make 3D Discs work in 2D players. Period. My Blu-ray player does not make me Sushi, no matter how much I want it too. You should either sell this Blu-ray player or continue enjoying the Blu-ray 2D Discs. What you are saying is, as far as I know, impossible. You are the only person I've ever heard of who actually thinks this is possible. Something you've never even done before. So feel free to post up a screenshot of where you read this "advertised feature".

You are remembering incorrectly on the PS part. I have no idea what you are trying to say, and before this thread, never even knew you existed. Maybe 8-10 years ago? Possible. I was doing a lot of crack and such back then so that's all very possible.
Old 12-29-11, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No where on the box does Samsung state you can make 3D Discs work in 2D players. Period. My Blu-ray player does not make me Sushi, no matter how much I want it too. You should either sell this Blu-ray player or continue enjoying the Blu-ray 2D Discs. What you are saying is, as far as I know, impossible. You are the only person I've ever heard of who actually thinks this is possible. Something you've never even done before. So feel free to post up a screenshot of where you read this "advertised feature".

You are remembering incorrectly on the PS part. I have no idea what you are trying to say, and before this thread, never even knew you existed. Maybe 8-10 years ago? Possible. I was doing a lot of crack and such back then so that's all very possible.
The may not be on the box..
But I always read the manual online or in the store before purchase:
PDF Manual link:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...NG-BM-0915.pdf
Page 30 of the manual:

3D Blu-ray Playback Mode
3D Blu-ray Discs are available in two formats: Bluray
3D and 3D only. You can choose to watch a
Blu-ray 3D disc in 3D or 2D mode before playing
the disc.
• Auto : Automatically detect if a connected TV
has 3D capability and play a Blu-ray 3D disc in
3D or 2D accordingly or a 3D only disc in 3D if
the TV supports 3D.
3D only discs will not be played if your TV does
not support 3D.
• 3D  3D : Play 3D only and Blu-ray 3D discs in
3D mode at all times.
• 3D  2D : Play Blu-ray 3D discs in 2D mode at
all times.
Old 12-29-11, 10:19 PM
Suspended

That means if the disc has both the 3D and 2D 'copy' on the same disc, you can tell the player what 'copy' it could play. i.e. it always defaults to the 3D version or defaults to the 2D version. It even says "3D BLU-RAY PLAYBACK MODE" at the top. Yes, i'm looking at the PDF. Here:

3D Blu-ray Discs are available in two formats: Blu- ray 3D and 3D only. You can choose to watch a Blu-ray 3D disc in 3D or 2D mode before playing the disc

3D  2D : Play Blu-ray 3D discs in 2D mode at
all times.

Notice it does not say "only". It's referring to the 3D and 2D being on the same disc. I can see how it can be confusing...they don't really word it properly.

Have you heard of anyone being able to do this on this player? I know it's possible with certain programs on PCs (we've seen screen caps)

But again....why? If you have the 3D Disc, you should have the 2D Disc. Just watch the 2D Disc.
Old 12-29-11, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
But again....why? If you have the 3D Disc, you should have the 2D Disc. Just watch the 2D Disc.
Again this player will be connected to my office TV which is not 3D and only a 22" VISIO.. I would not even have room for the smallest 3D TV on the market which is a Samsung 43"..
And I have purchased a number of Disc's that are 3D only both retail "Drive Angry 3D" and from eBay...

While we have focused on just one part of my machine errors, the APP Updater likes to delete the APP's and update every day and the fact that the CARS 2/3D disc skips, jumps, and replays..

Last edited by DEC29111; 12-29-11 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-29-11, 10:34 PM
Suspended

Again this player will be connected to my office TV which is not 3D and only a 22" VISIO.. I would not even have room for the smallest 3D TV on the market which is a Samsung 43"..
And I have purchased a number of Disc's that are 3D only both retail "Drive Angry 3D" and from eBay...

While we have focused on just one part of my machine errors, the APP Updater likes to delete the APP's and update every day and the fact that the CARS 2/3D disc skips, jumps, and replays..
Well, aside from those few 3D only discs, just buy them in 2D. As far as I know, what you want to do isn't possible.

As for the Apps, yeah, it happens. I have a Samsung 69xx, and it "updates" often and deletes Apps. Sucks, but sometimes they lose the rights and/or the Apps go dead. i.e. Napster.

I'll be dumping it soon. No firmware update in over a year. Screw that. Back to LG I go.
Old 01-03-12, 10:26 AM

Not sure about the other issues, but I am having the Cars 2 3D problem. I have contacted them on the phone, web chat and Twitter about that. The new firmware update from Dec 20 did not fix the problem either.
Old 03-14-12, 09:34 AM

Just a bump to say that I downloaded the latest firmware for the player and now can play Cars 2 in 3D without any problem.