DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Games bleeding into real life - study

RocShemp
12-27-11, 10:53 PM
Games bleeding into real life - study (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-21-games-bleeding-into-real-life-study)

For some, a video game doesn't stop when the power is turned off - their gaming experiences are bleeding into their day-to-day lives.

This can lead to video game-like reactions to real-life situations, Nottingham Trent University and Stockholm University have discovered.

It's called Game Transfer Phenomena.

The study - Game Transfer Phenomena in Video Game Playing: A Qualitative Interview Study - interviewed 42 "frequent" gamers aged between 15 and 21 years old. "Many" of the subjects "appeared to integrate elements of video game playing into their real lives".

The full study must be bought for $30. One amusing excerpt reported on The Metro website describe a 15 year-old boy wanting to use a gravity gun from Half-Life 2 to fetch something from the fridge. And why not?

One 19-year-old Price of Persia: Sands of Time enthusiast dropped his sandwich and immediately his finger used to press the rewind-time button twitched. A natural response.

Another 19-year-old thought he could use World of Warcraft's search function to locate his brother in a crowd. What a good idea.

Apparently half of the gamers interviewed said they'd looked for something from a video game to solve a real-life issue. One interviewee apparently saw a menu of topics available for him to think about (Heavy Rain?); another formulated a list of possible responses after being insulted (Mass Effect 2?).

Of course, there is a darker side to all of this. Use of aggressive, criminal and/or violent fantasies as solutions to real-life problems were reported by "a few" of the players.

The Daily Mail focused on one particular 15-year-old who said that "sometimes" he wants to be able to get a gun and "shoot down" people. "Irritating people", mind you.

"A recurring trend suggests that intensive gaming may lead to negative psychological, emotional or behavioural consequences," concluded report author professor Mark Griffiths, "with enormous implications for software developers, parents, policy makers and mental health professionals."

This research is being followed up by a study of 2000 gamers.

The Game Transfer Phenomena report hits headlines a day after Grand Theft Auto was linked to a shooting spree and eventually a murder onboard a Royal Navy submarine.

I stumbled upon this odd little article. I gotta say the only time I've ever done anything similar is when I plotted out in my head how to get something from my roof. My immediate thought was to figure out the best way to scale the building when simply getting the ladder from the closet in the garage would have been easier. :lol:

PopcornTreeCt
12-28-11, 12:10 AM
I have to admit to some of this... playing first person shooters made me a much better shot at the firing range. I know that sounds dumb but I was hitting all bullseyes while my friends watched in disbelief. When visiting old churches or other buildings, I've caught myself imagining how Altair/Ezio would climb it.

It's mostly just little things but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Liver&Onions
12-28-11, 12:15 AM
Every time I go to the zoo I wait and watch the alligators to see if I can time my leap across their pit with their yawning.

Groucho
12-28-11, 12:43 AM
I once took an arrow to the knee.

JasonF
12-28-11, 01:57 AM
I once took an arrow to the knee.

:lol:

When I play enough Assassin's Creed or Crackdown, I wind up mentally sizing up every building I see to determine how I would climb up to its roof.

pinata242
12-28-11, 02:06 AM
My neighbors don't let me look for medicine and petty cash in their dressers and pots like I feel they should.

RocShemp
12-28-11, 07:36 AM
When visiting old churches or other buildings, I've caught myself imagining how Altair/Ezio would climb it.

:lol:

When I play enough Assassin's Creed or Crackdown, I wind up mentally sizing up every building I see to determine how I would climb up to its roof.

I do that all the time. :lol:

Michael Corvin
12-28-11, 08:39 AM
*yawn* another "video games incite violence" study under the guise of comical anecdotes.

atxbomber
12-28-11, 08:47 AM
I've never really had those muscle memory/problem solving reactions with video games... but I have had similar with Adobe CS products. Anytime I'm doing a project and spending any length of time in say Photoshop or Illustrator and then go back to painting or drawing something with traditional media, if (when) I make a mistake I've more than a few times found myself going for the history before catching myself. :lol:

The Daily Mail focused on one particular 15-year-old who said that "sometimes" he wants to be able to get a gun and "shoot down" people. "Irritating people", mind you.

Since people were shooting each other up before there was even an idea of video games, could it just be this individual is disturbed and needs help? Not that he's played too many games/seen too many movies/listened to too much rock music/has a demon inside him?

mhg83
12-28-11, 12:38 PM
This explains why I go looking to pick up hookers and trannies at the train station. Damn you GTA!

glassdragon
12-28-11, 12:45 PM
This explains why I go looking to pick up hookers and trannies at the train station. Damn you GTA!

Unless you kill them afterwards I don't think you can blame GTA for that

Sometimes I go outside on a sunny day and think "Who the fuck turned the bloom back on?"

Drexl
12-28-11, 12:56 PM
When visiting old churches or other buildings, I've caught myself imagining how Altair/Ezio would climb it.

And several years before that, I would think "this place would be a good Tony Hawk level."

I wish I had a Pip-Boy.

DaveyJoe
12-28-11, 01:03 PM
*yawn* another "video games incite violence" study under the guise of comical anecdotes.

This is the same impression I got. They're really reaching here too, one 15 year old sometimes wants to shoot people? Better ban video games! -rolleyes-

dvdsteve2000
12-28-11, 01:56 PM
I always wonder what kinds of plants and flowers would make a good potion.

Wazootyman
12-28-11, 02:01 PM
A study of 42 gamers? What a great sample size!

JTH182
12-28-11, 02:31 PM
I ate a mushroom and doubled in size once. True story.

pinata242
12-28-11, 02:38 PM

Well, it is the answer...

RocShemp
12-28-11, 05:03 PM
I ate a mushroom and doubled in size once. True story.

You post in DVDtalk and actually need "physical enhancements"? :rolleyes:

Supermallet
12-28-11, 07:24 PM
I once did something influenced by a video game.

Once.

TheKing
01-01-12, 06:35 PM
Often when eating I'm haunted by the idea that there might be ghosts around the corner trying to kill me.

But then I eat something a little bigger and I feel like I could just eat those ghosts too! mmmmmmm ghosts with a cherry on top...

Obi-Wan Jabroni
01-01-12, 06:41 PM
I've been playing Uncharted 2 online lately and trying to get the trophy for BBQ kills. I drove by a gas station yesterday which had propane tanks for sale out front, and I was overcome with a desire to shoot them ;)

dsa_shea
01-01-12, 07:03 PM

Likely 42 people that know each other somehow and think that real gamers are suckers and willing to pay 30 bucks to read this "full" report.

nickdawgy
01-02-12, 09:45 PM
I played a baseball game and then went outside and did it as well.

People were mortified.

Dragon Fly
01-02-12, 11:20 PM
Sometimes when I walk into a new place I plan my escape from Glados with a Portal gun. Sadly the cake is always a lie. :-(

DonnachaOne
01-02-12, 11:41 PM
The Daily Mail article, because it's the Daily Mail, is only as credible as your average lie.

Abob Teff
01-02-12, 11:41 PM
The only beleivable "bleed from video games to real life" I saw in the article was "The full study must be purchased for $30." Release a demo of the first level for free; charge $30 - $60 for the full thing.

Also, by the way the article read I'm sssuming the author didn't buy the full study either.

Does anybody else get an urge to swing a hammer and jump over barrels when you walk by a monkey on a scaffold?

TheKing
01-03-12, 12:02 AM
The only beleivable "bleed from video games to real life" I saw in the article was "The full study must be purchased for $30." Release a demo of the first level for free; charge $30 - $60 for the full thing.

Also, by the way the article read I'm sssuming the author didn't buy the full study either.

Does anybody else get an urge to swing a hammer and jump over barrels when you walk by a monkey on a scaffold?

If he had my girlfriend then yes.

RichC2
01-03-12, 10:51 AM
Reminds me of something out of Serial Experiments Lain.

RocShemp
01-03-12, 01:46 PM

Only if you had to pay $5 - $10 per each missing paragraph.