View Full Version : 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

fumanstan
03-28-12, 07:56 PM
Holy crap, Knicks are crushing Orlando.

hahn
03-28-12, 08:02 PM
Holy crap, Knicks are crushing Orlando.
Don't think I've ever seen a game where there is absolutely 0% chance for a comeback by the middle of the 3rd quarter.

hahn
03-28-12, 08:03 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XdJYj2X_-wc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
:lol: I made the same slip up when I was talking about it with a friend. I wondered if any announcers would do the same. He must be relieved that his bulging dick is being treated non-surgically.

Goat3001
03-28-12, 08:22 PM
Knicks are finally back over .500 :up:

Hopefully they can start to some distance between them and .500.

dsa_shea
03-28-12, 09:24 PM
Knicks are finally back over .500 :up:

Hopefully they can start to some distance between them and .500.

I didn't get to watch any of the game as we had a banquet for the teachers tonight but I kept up with the ass kicking via sportscast on my phone. My brother texted me and said that Novak went apeshit in the first half. YES!!!

hahn
03-30-12, 12:04 AM
Dang. KD and Westbrook vs LBJ and DWade on April 4th is going to be epic.

Larry C.
03-30-12, 08:35 AM
Dang. KD and Westbrook vs LBJ and DWade on April 4th is going to be epic.

We just saw that game and it wasn't so epic at all.

hahn
03-30-12, 10:27 AM
We just saw that game and it wasn't so epic at all.
I'm sure wade and lebron will be a little hungrier this time. Hopefully anyhow.
Want to see a showdown like the twolves-thunder game.

Matt
03-30-12, 11:12 AM
Want to see a showdown like the twolves-thunder game.

Ugh. Not me. That one was plenty.

Jam Master Jay
03-31-12, 04:20 PM
Kobe shooting the lights out :lol:

Jam Master Jay
03-31-12, 04:49 PM
Man I feel bad for Monty Williams. He's too good of a coach to be saddled with such a crappy team

dsa_shea
03-31-12, 05:44 PM
Now that Lin is out for about 6 weeks and Stat is out for at least a few weeks I have to say that the Knicks chances of making the playoffs or going deep at all are slim at best.

fumanstan
03-31-12, 08:19 PM
Wow, probably the worst shooting night of Kobe's career. Crazy.

DJariya
03-31-12, 08:30 PM
:lol: I just saw that MSG video about Amar'e for the 1st time today. That was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!

LurkerDan
03-31-12, 10:38 PM
Now that Lin is out for about 6 weeks and Stat is out for at least a few weeks I have to say that the Knicks chances of making the playoffs or going deep at all are slim at best.

Are you kidding? This is just what Melo needs! :lol:

Seriously, he can win games singlehandedly, and unfortunately, it seems he only thrives most where that is what is needed.

dsa_shea
04-01-12, 11:05 AM
Are you kidding? This is just what Melo needs! :lol:

Seriously, he can win games singlehandedly, and unfortunately, it seems he only thrives most where that is what is needed.

He will not be able to beat Miami or the Bulls singlehandedly. The game last night with the Cavs was still in doubt until the last few minutes where the Knicks pulled away. And this was without Kyrie Irving and having just had their asses whipped at home the night before against the Bucks. I'm hoping against hope that the Knicks can still get it done but you have to be somewhat realistic.

fumanstan
04-01-12, 11:17 AM
The Knicks chances of going "deep" in to playoffs weren't affected at all. They were always going to be first round fodder.

LurkerDan
04-01-12, 11:56 AM
The Knicks chances of going "deep" in to playoffs weren't affected at all. They were always going to be first round fodder.

oh, absolutely. I didn't mean to imply that Melo alone could take them deep, just that he could take them to the playoffs.

Sweet Baby James
04-01-12, 12:34 PM

Agreed. People in this neck of the woods are still suffering from a case of Linsanity and are addicted to Novacaine.

starman9000
04-01-12, 01:29 PM
Man, I was taking some solace in the Wolves decline since Utah was in line to make the playoffs (giving up their pick), but now that is falling to crap too. :(

dsa_shea
04-01-12, 02:01 PM
I'm not 100% sold that the Knicks were first round "fodder" with a healthy roster. You also have to take into account that with their roster intact they could be as high as a 4th seed and would play one of any of the 4 lower seeded eastern conference teams that they have played competitively with this season. Now that they have so many injuries they will try and keep their 8th seed just to get in. They are still only a couple of games out of that 4th seed as I type this.

RayChuang
04-01-12, 07:45 PM
A thing to note as of today: I think both the Chicago Bulls and Oklahoma Thunder need to "slow down" and stop going for the best record in the NBA. I do fear that we're going to have a couple of "burned out" teams by the time the playoffs come around, especially since playoff basketball has more emphasis on the half-court game, which is a lot more physical style of basketball.

The Cow
04-01-12, 07:59 PM
A thing to note as of today: I think both the Chicago Bulls and Oklahoma Thunder need to "slow down" and stop going for the best record in the NBA. I do fear that we're going to have a couple of "burned out" teams by the time the playoffs come around, especially since playoff basketball has more emphasis on the half-court game, which is a lot more physical style of basketball.

I disagree on the Bulls. They have gotten where they are with good defense and playing pretty good 'all team' ball on offense. Time will tell, but that's how I think they separate from the sheer talent of Miami.

Decker
04-02-12, 10:37 AM
I went to the Lakers game last night -- my first time at Staples and my first live Lakers game since I moved from Indy nine years ago. Had great seats : tenth row, baseline. It was cool to see a game in person. My kids love Kobe, so it was cool to see him go for 40. This was the game Bynum sprained his ankle. Didn't really notice it at the time, though I did see him fall down awkwardly once. By the half, I noticed he hadn't played in a while, so I leaned forward to the guy in front of me and asked if Bynum got hurt. He said " I don't know". I told him there was nothing on the Internet about the injury yet, he said "Let me text the trainer", and he DID! Only in LA. :lol:
It was a pretty fun game, but man the Warriors are a low-wattage team without Steph Curry. The only starter I've even heard of was David Lee. It was impressive seeing tiny Nate Robinson flying around and drilling three after three. I remember him killing the Lakers in 2008. Seems like he could still be an impact player for a contender off the bench.

fumanstan
04-02-12, 10:44 AM
I'm not 100% sold that the Knicks were first round "fodder" with a healthy roster. You also have to take into account that with their roster intact they could be as high as a 4th seed and would play one of any of the 4 lower seeded eastern conference teams that they have played competitively with this season. Now that they have so many injuries they will try and keep their 8th seed just to get in. They are still only a couple of games out of that 4th seed as I type this.

I'm sold, I don't think they had any chance getting the 4th seed.

Mr. Cinema
04-02-12, 12:33 PM
I don't think the Thunder are capable of getting burned out. Westbrook and Durant are both machines that do not get tired, period. I think the Thunder definitely make it to the Finals this year. Those 2 players are just as dynamic as LeBron and Wade imo. Westbrook's game has gotten alot better and he's extremely dangerous in the open court. And having a starter in Harden leading the 2nd group doesn't hurt either.

RayChuang
04-02-12, 01:43 PM
I don't think the Thunder are capable of getting burned out. Westbrook and Durant are both machines that do not get tired, period. I think the Thunder definitely make it to the Finals this year. Those 2 players are just as dynamic as LeBron and Wade imo. Westbrook's game has gotten alot better and he's extremely dangerous in the open court. And having a starter in Harden leading the 2nd group doesn't hurt either.

I still have my doubts. Remember last season when the Thunder essentially was just about running on fumes in their series against the Maverick, a team with a lot more experienced players and were able to better pace themselves in the playoffs? Like I said earlier, playoff basketball is more a half-court game, and that tends to make it a lot more physically draining if you don't know how to pace yourself.

LurkerDan
04-02-12, 03:01 PM
A team with young players that have never won a title should not be pacing themselves. And I suspect that they'll listen to what Perk has to tell them about winning a title before they listen to DVDTalk.

The Cow
04-02-12, 03:17 PM
I still have my doubts. Remember last season when the Thunder essentially was just about running on fumes in their series against the Maverick, a team with a lot more experienced players and were able to better pace themselves in the playoffs? Like I said earlier, playoff basketball is more a half-court game, and that tends to make it a lot more physically draining if you don't know how to pace yourself.

Do you want them to lose more games?

The "playing together/experience" tends to matter most. You kind of mentioned that yourself. Oklahoma didn't run out of gas by any means. They were just new to the scene.

Specifically, what do you think the Bulls and Thunder should do different?

dsa_shea
04-02-12, 03:46 PM
A team with young players that have never won a title should not be pacing themselves. And I suspect that they'll listen to what Perk has to tell them about winning a title before they listen to DVDTalk.

Damn! And I was under the impression that what we think mattered to these young millionaires.

Matt
04-02-12, 04:10 PM
At this point, it's all about locking up home court advantage throughout the playoffs. And the Thunder are gonna need it, too, especially if they have to face the Spurs.

. . .they'll listen to what Perk has to tell them about winning a title. . .

Fisher, too.

LurkerDan
04-02-12, 04:24 PM
Fisher is garbage. ;)

LurkerDan
04-02-12, 05:24 PM
Reggie Miller is a hall of famer.

DJariya
04-05-12, 12:03 AM
Andrew Bynum is having a monster game tonight. Too bad the Lakers can't seem to hold a lead.

Cory02
04-05-12, 12:03 AM
Wow...Blake Griffin is abusing Pau Gasol tonight with 2 highlight reel dunks. :lol:

Decker
04-05-12, 12:11 AM
Wow...Blake Griffin is abusing Pau Gasol tonight with 2 highlight reel dunks. :lol:

And that's the headline on ESPN.com, as opposed to his 13 points Vs Bynum's 36. Because, of course, dunks >> points.

Arpeggi
04-05-12, 12:44 AM
Blake Griffin got shut down by Pau Gasol, of all people. Fuck his dunks.

fumanstan
04-05-12, 01:04 AM
Both of those dunks look like offensive fouls. An over the back, and then an off-arm push off. :)

coli
04-05-12, 06:48 AM
Watching the 76ers go from a 4th seed to a 7th seed has shown me why Doug Collins has never lasted more then a few years at his jobs in Chicago, Detroit, and Washington. The guy looks like he is ready for a nervous breakdown as he was asked last night in the post game press conference what he can do to get this team back on the winning track? He responded like he was on suicide watch, "I don't know anymore....."

I think Doug Collins passion is his greatest quality and probably his worst quality. It wouldn't suprise me if he is in the TNT booth next year as he just takes loses too hard and I think it wears on him on the long run.

starman9000
04-05-12, 07:13 AM
Wolves blow a 20 point home lead to a Golden State team that isn't even trying.

Utah blows another one too. :(

Nefarious
04-05-12, 08:22 AM
Both of those dunks look like offensive fouls. An over the back, and then an off-arm push off. :)

I'll give you the over the back but I don't think he was pushing off with his arm as much as he was shielding himself.

Mr. Cinema
04-05-12, 08:46 AM
And that's the headline on ESPN.com, as opposed to his 13 points Vs Bynum's 36. Because, of course, dunks >> points.
Does Griffin do anything besides dunk?

Lakers have now won 4 in a row and Sessions has been playing great lately.

starman9000
04-05-12, 08:59 AM
You mean Dunking isn't the goal of the NBA?

Decker
04-05-12, 10:28 AM

I was a huge fan of Griffin during his college days and still like him and am happy for the success he brought the Clippers. But when you look how his game has evolved versus K-Love, and it's not even close. Blake Griffin is way overrated as a player.

fumanstan
04-05-12, 10:38 AM
I was a huge fan of Griffin during his college days and still like him and am happy for the success he brought the Clippers. But when you look how his game has evolved versus K-Love, and it's not even close. Blake Griffin is way overrated as a player.

I don't think that's quite fair yet, Love is in his 4th year and his first 2 years were unimpressive. Griffin is only in his second full year. I think he should get a couple more years to decide if he's just another Amare Stoudamire.

starman9000
04-05-12, 10:44 AM
Yeah, but Griffin hasn't had to deal with Kurt Rambis as a coach either. ;)

Burgundy LaRue
04-05-12, 10:45 AM
Yeah, but Griffin hasn't had to deal with Kurt Rambis as a coach either. ;)

No, he has Del Negro. :D

coli
04-05-12, 11:37 AM

I don't get to see alot of him because the games are on at 10:30 ET here, but he looks like he has a 10 foot jump shot if he can't get to the post. He really doesn't have any moves to the post, but if he gets that open 10 footers he can hit that every now and then.

I will say that when it is crunch time that is when its Chris Pauls team, as he seems to be the go-to guy at the end of the game.

Larry C.
04-05-12, 11:44 AM
The OKC/HEAT game was great to watch. I love physical basketball. I didn't feel the Westbrook foul on Lebron was too bad but he didn't go for the ball.

Perkins on the other hand is a little bitch thats needs a message sent to him.

fujishig
04-05-12, 12:08 PM
Well, Griffin is also a terrible FT shooter, so that takes away from his looks at the end of close games, I would think. Also, i thought Paul early on was too tentative in setting up his own shot, so it's actually good news for the Clips if he's taking over late in games (haven't seen a Clips game in a while). Love and Griffin are almost at two totally opposite ends of the PF spectrum, at least on the offensive end; on defense they're pretty much a wash.

Mr. Cinema
04-05-12, 12:08 PM
The OKC/HEAT game was great to watch. I love physical basketball. I didn't feel the Westbrook foul on Lebron was too bad but he didn't go for the ball.

Perkins on the other hand is a little bitch thats needs a message sent to him.
I loved Perkins hard foul on the biggest punk in the league. I'd also like to see someone deck Mario Chalmers, who is the queen bitch in the league. Always running his mouth as if he's an all-star.

Larry C.
04-05-12, 12:15 PM
I loved Perkins hard foul on the biggest punk in the league. I'd also like to see someone deck Mario Chalmers, who is the queen bitch in the league. Always running his mouth as if he's an all-star.

Sorry I don't understand your post it all reads blah blah blah blah blah blah.

starman9000
04-05-12, 12:21 PM
on defense they're pretty much a wash.

And not in a good way.

LurkerDan
04-05-12, 12:32 PM
I haven't watched him much, but from what I have read, Love's defense has improved quite a bit, although he's never going to be mistaken for KG.

As for Griffin, I think he'd improve a lot if he had a coach.

fumanstan
04-05-12, 03:29 PM
Van Gundy says Dwight wants him out.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7778991/orlando-magic-stan-van-gundy-dwight-howard-wants-fired

This is bizarre.

"I was told it was true by people in our management," Van Gundy said Thursday, just hours before the Magic hosted the New York Knicks. "So right from the top."

In what had to be one of the most bizarre game-day scenes in NBA history, Van Gundy confirmed a WKMG-TV report that Howard is pushing for his ouster, and did so right before the center walked through a circle of news media members and embraced his coach.

LurkerDan
04-05-12, 04:07 PM
yeah, that is bizarre. even if 100% true, why would you announce it to the media?

Goat3001
04-05-12, 04:24 PM
It's a little short sighted but I'm guessing SVG knows he's on his way out of town and is pissed enough about it to throw Howard under the bus for it. Won't look good to future employers but I can see why the man is pissed.

JumpCutz
04-05-12, 08:56 PM
This is ugly. Dwight Howard is the biggest douchebag in the NBA. Good on SVG for exposing this piece of shit.

fumanstan
04-05-12, 09:11 PM
This is ugly. Dwight Howard is the biggest douchebag in the NBA. Good on SVG for exposing this piece of shit.

A lot of players have asked for their coaches to be fired :shrug:

Maxflier
04-05-12, 10:18 PM
They should have dealt that cancerous asshole and been done with it.

LurkerDan
04-06-12, 10:08 AM

yeah, I don't really fault Dwight if he did that, it's not that big a deal. But SVG saying it to the media while still the coach, that's freaking weird. It's the kind of thing you reveal after you've been fired.

coli
04-06-12, 11:44 AM

Exactly, didn't Magic Johnson get Paul Westhead fired in the middle of the 1980-81 season even though they won the title the year before? I'm pretty sure Jordan got Doug Collins fired in 1989 too.

This practice has been going on forever in the NBA, the problem is that Dwight Howard talked out of both sides of his ass all year in terms of the coach, whether he wanted to be traded, whether he was re-signing with the Magic. The guy is trying so hard not to be Lebron if he ever leaves (meaning being the bad guy), he looks worse when he waffles and plays both angles.

fumanstan
04-06-12, 12:55 PM
Exactly, didn't Magic Johnson get Paul Westhead fired in the middle of the 1980-81 season even though they won the title the year before? I'm pretty sure Jordan got Doug Collins fired in 1989 too.

This practice has been going on forever in the NBA, the problem is that Dwight Howard talked out of both sides of his ass all year in terms of the coach, whether he wanted to be traded, whether he was re-signing with the Magic. The guy is trying so hard not to be Lebron if he ever leaves (meaning being the bad guy), he looks worse when he waffles and plays both angles.

Agreed. He's making himself look really bad, when he should have just shut up. Melo did the same thing last year, but honestly Melo ducked pretty much all the questions even though everyone knew where he wanted to go, if I recall correctly.

I don't think Dwight's an asshole for all of it though, no more so then Lebron, Paul, or Melo in recent years.

hahn
04-06-12, 09:43 PM
yeah, I don't really fault Dwight if he did that, it's not that big a deal. But SVG saying it to the media while still the coach, that's freaking weird. It's the kind of thing you reveal after you've been fired.

Hmm, maybe it was a pre-emptive strike - to publicize it so that there would be an outcry and then the front office might be pressured NOT to fire him. Though if it's true that Dwight said something, the situation is untenable - one of them would HAVE to go and since Dwight just committed...

hahn
04-06-12, 10:03 PM
Man, the ref-ing job in this Blazers-Mavs game is just terrible. If the Blazers lose this, I'm going to be PISSED. Marion was CLEARLY the last person to touch the ball going out and yet, even after slow-mo review they still gave it back to the Mavs. Even the Mavs announcers were shocked.

Update: YES! LA with the game winner! Ball don't lie! (The refs still suck)

shadowhawk2020
04-06-12, 10:40 PM

A lot of players have done it over the years. But that doesn't mean it is right. But it is a superstar league.

Stan knows he is on the way out, he had to deal with all the Howard trade talk all year. He finally gets that behind them and Dwight can't keep his mouth shut long enough for the season to end so the Magic can limp to the end of the season without more drama. I think Stan finally had enough.

He will have another job next year if he wants one.

bigsoos
04-06-12, 11:35 PM
Bynum is an idiot :lol:

dsa_shea
04-08-12, 05:32 PM
The Knicks with a big win today over the Bulls! Melo came through when it mattered most.

dsa_shea
04-08-12, 05:55 PM
Larry Johnson is now working for the Knicks! I loved him as a player and I'm looking forward to seeing him involved with the franchise again. Here is a link to his introductory interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idqkysU43Og

Decker
04-09-12, 10:35 AM
The Mavs are parting ways with Lamar Odom immediately, without actually releasing him. From 6th Man of the Year to unwanted rubbish in less than a year. Wow. Should make for some entertaining viewing on Keeping Up With the Kardashians, I suppose.

story (http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7791431/dallas-mavericks-lamar-odom-sever-ties-immediately)

Mordred
04-09-12, 11:05 AM
The Mavs are parting ways with Lamar Odom immediately, without actually releasing him. From 6th Man of the Year to unwanted rubbish in less than a year. Wow. Should make for some entertaining viewing on Keeping Up With the Kardashians, I suppose.

story (http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7791431/dallas-mavericks-lamar-odom-sever-ties-immediately)And to think it looked like the steal of the offseason. The Mavericks are old and terrible this year. I'll be shocked if they get out of the first round. Hopefully they can reload in the offseason with all that cap space Cuban sacrificed this season for.

LurkerDan
04-09-12, 11:11 AM

story (http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7791431/dallas-mavericks-lamar-odom-sever-ties-immediately)

I'm not a Mavs fan (though I enjoyed their run last year), but fuck Lamar Odom. What a goddam whiny bitch. If I was a Mavs fan, I'd be even more pissed! :lol:

Apple Gooncha
04-09-12, 08:20 PM
Can the Bobcats get a round of applause for losing by 28 at home against the Wizards?

Seriously, they may win another game or two this year, but they are about as bad as any NBA team in my lifetime. I'd take the 12-70 Nets of a couple of years ago over this collection of garbage.

Matt
04-09-12, 11:03 PM
Serge Ibaka with the Congo Death Grip on Mike Dunleavy tonight in Milwaukee

http://gifsoup.com/view6/3601768/dunleavy-slap-h.gif

:lol:

dsa_shea
04-10-12, 10:44 PM
When did the Bulls sign one of Rik Smits relatives?

Sonny Corinthos
04-11-12, 06:45 PM
Barkley: Lamar Odom's pay 'a joke'

DALLAS -- The only explanation Charles Barkley can come up with for Lamar Odom's short stint in Dallas is the 13-year veteran never got over his divorce with the Lakers. But it disgusts Barkley the Mavericks are on the hook for the remainder of Odom's salary.

Charles Barkley says Lamar Odom didn't earn his money with the mavs. He also confirms that Father Time remains undefeated and that Dirk Nowitzki is the latest victim.

"I always pull for the players, but the fact that they've got to pay him, I think is a joke," Barkley said during his Wednesday appearance on ESPN Dallas 103.3's Galloway & Co. "I mean, because he didn't earn his salary. He didn't earn it at all.

"I like Lamar as a person, but I'm disappointed about everything that happened in Dallas. And it's a shame that the Mavs got to pay him, to be honest with you, because he doesn't deserve to get paid for what he put out there this year. He doesn't deserve it, plain and simple."

The Mavs finally had enough of Odom's sulking, lack of effort and habitual tardiness and banished him from the team Sunday, less than 24 hours after a heated halftime confrontation where owner Mark Cuban questioned Odom's commitment.

Odom presumably will return to Los Angeles. Odom, who averaged career lows in almost every category, will make almost $1 million the rest of the season and is due a $2.4 million buyout payment in June.

"To sit at home and make that kind of money really pisses me off, to be honest with you, for the effort that he put out there," Barkley said. "He's going to make hundreds of thousands of dollars these next two paychecks. ... That's not fair to the Mavs. It's not fair to the game of basketball.

"I'm just disappointed in Lamar."

I agree, it's a joke the Mavs are on the hook for Lamar's pay. He's acted like a baby ever since the Lakers first wanted to trade him and Gasol to NO for CP3. The Lakers did him a huge favor by trading him to Dallas. They should have sent his whiny ass to the Bobcats for a gallon of Gatorade.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7802095/joke-dallas-mavericks-pay-lamar-odom-charles-barkley-says

fujishig
04-11-12, 07:32 PM
So what is Barkley arguing for, voidable contracts? Hey, I'm sure the owners are all for that.

What I'm confused about is this: the CP3 trade didn't go through, and then Odom asked for a trade out of Los Angeles and was granted it. If he didn't want out of LA, why did he do that?

Barth
04-11-12, 08:39 PM
I'm not a big Barkley fan but in this case I think he's right. Odom has learned well from his wife on how to do nothing and still get paid for it. I wish there could be a laziness clause in contracts but not sure how you would write it. If they ever come up with one they could call it the "odom clause".

fumanstan
04-11-12, 09:25 PM
So what is Barkley arguing for, voidable contracts? Hey, I'm sure the owners are all for that.

What I'm confused about is this: the CP3 trade didn't go through, and then Odom asked for a trade out of Los Angeles and was granted it. If he didn't want out of LA, why did he do that?

I think he was going to suck regardless if he stayed with the Lakers or went elsewhere, but it would have been even worse if he was in LA still and the request was out of rash emotion above anything else.

It's funny, because I remember Lamar years ago say how he felt good about getting traded because it was for Shaq. It doesn't seem like it would be too bad to be traded for the best PG in the game.

Michael T Hudson
04-11-12, 09:48 PM
Lakers beat the Spurs. :thumbsup:

Decker
04-11-12, 10:06 PM
Lakers beat the Spurs. :thumbsup:

Bynum pulls down 30(!) boards and the Kobe-less Lakers trounce the Spurs in San Antonio 98-84. I can't get a read on this team at all, but they sure look like contenders on some nights.

fujishig
04-12-12, 11:48 AM
I think he was going to suck regardless if he stayed with the Lakers or went elsewhere, but it would have been even worse if he was in LA still and the request was out of rash emotion above anything else.

It's funny, because I remember Lamar years ago say how he felt good about getting traded because it was for Shaq. It doesn't seem like it would be too bad to be traded for the best PG in the game.

Well, traded for Shaq to the Lakers is a bit different than being traded for CP3 and having to go to the Hornets.

Lakers beat the Spurs (without Kobe and after the Spurs big 3 were rested up) and the Clippers beat the Thunder. And tonight is Heat vs. Bulls.

LurkerDan
04-12-12, 01:03 PM
having to go to the Hornets.

I realize I'm no NBA player, but getting to live in New Orleans is a ton better than most NBA cities.

Larry C.
04-12-12, 01:11 PM
Well, traded for Shaq to the Lakers is a bit different than being traded for CP3 and having to go to the Hornets.

Lakers beat the Spurs (without Kobe and after the Spurs big 3 were rested up) and the Clippers beat the Thunder. And tonight is Heat vs. Bulls.

Don't remind me. The Heat have been playing like complete utter doo doo. Bosh has turned into the invisible man. I know Wade has been banged up but that's no excuse.

At least Mike Miller is back and playing well.

Apple Gooncha
04-12-12, 07:59 PM
And the Bobcats are down by 30 after 3 quarters at home against Detroit. :lol:

Schloob1
04-12-12, 11:06 PM
Solid game by the Bulls bench tonight. Thibs almost blew it by putting Rose back in the 4Q with just over 3 minutes left in regulation. Thankfully in the end they pulled it out after almost giving it away there at the end of regulation. Playoffs are just around the corner, let the real games begin already.

argh923
04-13-12, 02:36 PM
I honestly think we can beat Miami...I really do. As long as we get people stepping up like Boozer/CJ did last night.

Schloob1
04-13-12, 02:43 PM
I honestly think we can beat Miami...I really do. As long as we get people stepping up like Boozer/CJ did last night.

We can definitely beat Miami as long as we do not turn into the 1-man show again like we did last year against them. As long as everyone plays like they have this year and Rose gets back to form the Bulls can definitely win the title, not just beat Miami. Miami seems to think/hope they can just flip the switch and turn it on come playoff time, but that might bite them in the end. At least that is how it is looking to me right now. That will not work against this Bull's team IMO with the bench both teams have. The Bulls play physical D and that is the one thing that throws Miami off, and they are able to get back on transition much better than any team in the league as well.

dsa_shea
04-13-12, 06:43 PM
I'm actually starting to believe that the Bulls are an overall better team without Rose than with him. I know that seems sacrilegious but I am starting to believe it.

Maxflier
04-13-12, 08:33 PM
Knicks destroying the Wizards.
I really hope they give the job to Woodson for good after the season.

FanofComedy
04-13-12, 10:10 PM

Because it's hard to play for a team knowing they were trying to get rid of you on the sneak tip. How can you really give your all to a team who actually tried to ship you away after you just played a huge role in helping them win a title in 2010?

FanofComedy
04-13-12, 10:12 PM
Knicks destroying the Wizards.
I really hope they give the job to Woodson for good after the season.

I think the only way he gets the job is if the Knicks make the playoffs and win a couple of games. I don't think they need to make the second round but can't be swept by the Heat or Bulls.

davidh777
04-14-12, 01:25 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/18531680/mayor-kevin-johnson-sacramento-arena-deal-absolutely-dead

Posted: 5:01 pm April 13, 2012
Mayor Kevin Johnson: Sacramento arena deal 'absolutely' dead

By Ben Golliver | NBA Blogger

Sacramento's arena deal has blown up and Mayor Kevin Johnson is not happy about it.

After a whirlwind 24 hours that saw emotional statements from all involved parties, the framework of a deal struck in February between the NBA, the city of Sacramento and the Maloof famiy, owners of the Kings, to construct a new arena in Sacramento to house the team has fallen apart.

Ken Berger of CBSSports.com reported from New York on Friday afternoon that Johnson said the deal is "absolutely" dead and that the Maloofs have not "honored their commitment" to the agreement after talks fell apart on Friday.

"I am still baffled to say the least how we got here," Johnson admitted. "We had a win-win-win. If someone doesn't want to honor that agreement and partnership, we as a community have to say, 'No, thank you.'"

Johnson said the deal fell apart because of a decision by the Maloofs to back out.

"For us, a deal's a deal," Johnson said. "The only ones who questioned the viability of the project was the Kings... This is about trust and accountability from my standpoint... They are now saying they don't want to do the deal, which is essentially saying they don't want to be in Sacramento."

The Kings confirmed that arena deal talks have broken off in a statement released on Friday afternoon and published by KXTV .

Despite best efforts to negotiate an agreement with the City of Sacramento, and at the conclusion of a meeting this afternoon with Mayor Johnson, he advised us that there is nothing to be gained by continued discussions at this time.

We are committed to remaining the Sacramento Kings.

We only received a non-binding term sheet regarding a complex $400 million transaction 8 days before the Mayor's deadline of March 1st. From the moment we received it, we expressed our serious concerns with many of the proposed terms and conditions. Even now, these concerns have yet to be addressed by the City.

In response to statements made by Kings co-owner George Maloof during an emotional Friday morning press conference, Johnson cut to the chase.

"It felt like they were coming up with reasons not to do the deal," he said. "That's what it felt like to me."

Also on Friday morning, Maloof raised the possibility of renovating Power Balance Pavilion rather than proceeding with a new arena.

"We as a city are not interested in doing that," Johnson said.

Many have speculated that the Maloofs' hesitation in proceeding with the arena plan is a result of financial difficulties that are facing the family.

"Whether Maloofs have the financial resources or not, I don't know," Johnson said.

Johnson's statement comes less than 24 hours after he published a letter to the Maloofs on Thursday evening, calling on them to honor the agreement reached during 2012 All-Star Weekend in Orlando.

"The best - and only - way to demonstrate that commitment is to honor the 'fair deal' as all other parties have done," Johnson wrote to the Maloofs. "Your handshake is your handshake. Your promise is your promise."

On Friday morning, George Maloof said the deal required more negotiation or it was dead in the water.

"If the mayor says he's not negotiating then he killed the deal, it's over," Maloof said. "It's over."

On Friday afternoon, NBA commissioner David Stern said that he was "not optimistic" the deal could be saved during a press conference from the league's Board of Governors meetings.

"I am extremely disappointed, on behalf of both the Maloofs and the city of Sacramento, but I think that there's nothing further to be done," Stern said. "This is a situation the Maloofs will have to make judgments on and the city will have to make judgments on. I think we've done as much as we can do."

Stern also defended the Maloofs' right to walk away from the arena deal.

"We had an agreement in principle, a framework, a deal, you can call it anything you want," Stern said. "In my view it was always subject to any party saying they didn't want to do it. It was always non-binding. I think it's fair that the Maloofs to say they don't want to do it. If they had done that a little simpler, a little earlier and a little more directly, it could have saved a lot of angst and trouble."

Schloob1
04-15-12, 03:46 PM
I'm actually starting to believe that the Bulls are an overall better team without Rose than with him. I know that seems sacrilegious but I am starting to believe it.

Get out of our forum space Skip Bayless :lol: They are not, the Bulls are going to need Rose in order to win it all. He had been gone for almost a month and is simply rusty.

FanofComedy
04-15-12, 04:06 PM
I think the Bulls play better without Rose because they all know it's a temporary thing. If rose had been injured in game 3 of the season and the Bulls were forced to play without him then I don't think you would see the same type of play from them.

dsa_shea
04-15-12, 04:58 PM
I think the Bulls play better without Rose because they all know it's a temporary thing. If rose had been injured in game 3 of the season and the Bulls were forced to play without him then I don't think you would see the same type of play from them.

The bottom line is that the team seemingly performs better game to game without him in there than when they have him. I'm not saying that he is not a great player but I think he affects their "well-roundedness" more negatively that positively.

Pharoh
04-15-12, 05:46 PM
The bottom line is that the team seemingly performs better game to game without him in there than when they have him. I'm not saying that he is not a great player but I think he affects their "well-roundedness" more negatively that positively.

Granted, not a huge sample size, but what is their winning percentage with and without Rose?

They're better with Rose, albeit a healthy one.

On the other hand, I am convinced that Miami is better without Wade. Could just be his horrible on the ball and gambling defense, or his poor play over the last few weeks coloring my assessment, but the Miami plays worse with him.

Michael T Hudson
04-15-12, 05:46 PM
Lakers win again.

FanofComedy
04-15-12, 05:54 PM
I can't figure teams out in the NBA anymore and have to say this has been one weird NBA season. Lakers beating the Mavs and Spurs with Kobe is just mind boggling.

Pharoh
04-15-12, 07:03 PM
I can't figure teams out in the NBA anymore and have to say this has been one weird NBA season. Lakers beating the Mavs and Spurs with Kobe is just mind boggling.

Perhaps the Lakers are better without Kobe shooting 10 for 30?
;)

I agree it is a very strange season, one you can't read too much into by looking at a few games.

FanofComedy
04-15-12, 07:19 PM
Perhaps the Lakers are better without Kobe shooting 10 for 30?
;)

I agree it is a very strange season, one you can't read too much into by looking at a few games.

I guess I was more surprised at Gasol playing the role of Dirk today and hitting two 3 pointers in overtime. Because it was actually a awful shot selection by him but he just happened to make it which made everything ok. But I can't blame Dallas for giving him a open 3 pointer because how often does gasol take a shot like that?

JumpCutz
04-15-12, 07:34 PM
One thing I do know about this crazy NBA season...Lakers will not win another title.

So there's always that. :)

FanofComedy
04-15-12, 07:38 PM
The Celtics continue to win and move closer to winning the Atlantic division. Garnett and Pierce sat out tonight against the Bobcats

chess
04-15-12, 09:02 PM
Ramon Sessions is rapidly becoming my favorite Laker, and their small forwards are both playing amazingly well.

It's also kind of ironic that "Superman" is laid up with a herniated disk, while Andrew Bynum is beasting. Script flipped.

FanofComedy
04-15-12, 09:05 PM
Ramon Sessions is rapidly becoming my favorite Laker, and their small forwards are both playing amazingly well.

It's also kind of ironic that "Superman" is laid up with a herniated disk, while Andrew Bynum is beasting. Script flipped.

I still can't take Bynum seriously because he looks so goofy in the low post with his triple and quadruple fake pumps-lol And i hope superman is back by the 28th or the Magic will probably be swept by Indiana

fumanstan
04-15-12, 11:00 PM
Kobe's games after his 3/21 debacle before sitting out with injury were 16/28, 10/16, 13/19, and 8/20 :) It's funny, because Bynum has been shooting like shit since Kobe went out. No more easy looks for him with just him and Gasol, as he's been 10/27, 7/17, 7/20, (one good game at 11/19) and then 9/24. As good as he can be, I don't think he can carry a team without Kobe drawing away the double teams.

The Spurs was the only surprise win for the Lakers, given they won easily. They've had really close games to beat the Hornets, Nuggets, and Mavs that could have gone either way so yeah, its great to see but its nothing to make a fuss about.

Decker
04-16-12, 10:57 AM

Big article today on ESPN by J.A. Adande about how Bynum is passing Howard this season (including playing in more games than Howard, which is totally the opposite from what we usually see). I don't agree with all of it, but it does make for an interesting narrative.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7817335/nba-andrew-bynum-shows-one-step-superman

Larry C.
04-16-12, 11:35 AM
One thing I do know about this crazy NBA season...Lakers will not win another title.

So there's always that. :)

I hope they go deep if only because this thread is all Lakers fans and it would become a ghost town here if it weren't for the Lakers talk.

FanofComedy
04-16-12, 01:22 PM
I hope they go deep if only because this thread is all Lakers fans and it would become a ghost town here if it weren't for the Lakers talk.

So it's only Lakers fans on this board?

Larry C.
04-16-12, 02:07 PM
So it's only Lakers fans on this board?

No but the vocal majority of the NBA threads. Not saying its an awful thing just reality.

argh923
04-16-12, 02:21 PM
We can definitely beat Miami as long as we do not turn into the 1-man show again like we did last year against them. As long as everyone plays like they have this year and Rose gets back to form the Bulls can definitely win the title, not just beat Miami. Miami seems to think/hope they can just flip the switch and turn it on come playoff time, but that might bite them in the end. At least that is how it is looking to me right now. That will not work against this Bull's team IMO with the bench both teams have. The Bulls play physical D and that is the one thing that throws Miami off, and they are able to get back on transition much better than any team in the league as well.

Agreed 100%. Our bench is actually better than it was last year, with the additions of JL3 and Butler. The team is more rounded, and I really, really think we can take Miami this year. I do think Rip has to be ready to go though.

argh923
04-16-12, 02:22 PM
Big article today on ESPN by J.A. Adande about how Bynum is passing Howard this season (including playing in more games than Howard, which is totally the opposite from what we usually see). I don't agree with all of it, but it does make for an interesting narrative.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7817335/nba-andrew-bynum-shows-one-step-superman

Adande is a moron. Between he, Hollinger, and Broussard, ESPN has the market cornered on NBA "analysts" who know nothing and have ridiculous opinions on things.

Larry C.
04-16-12, 02:27 PM
Agreed 100%. Our bench is actually better than it was last year, with the additions of JL3 and Butler. The team is more rounded, and I really, really think we can take Miami this year. I do think Rip has to be ready to go though.

It would be a great series. I have to say the way they have played since the break has me extemely concerned. If the Heat do get pass the Bulls this year it won't be in 5 games.

fumanstan
04-16-12, 03:12 PM
No but the vocal majority of the NBA threads. Not saying its an awful thing just reality.

Yup, unfortunately no one else cares about their teams :( :)

Mr. Cinema
04-16-12, 03:19 PM
Bynum's numbers are almost identical to Howard, and Bynum has Kobe taking a ton of shots and Gasol is still heavily involved on offense. He's clearly better than Howard offensively, and his 12 rebs per game is close to Howard's 14. Howard probably gets a few more chances because the Magic chuck so many 3s.

Obviously Howard has been the more consistent pro. Bynum's involvement in the offense was less in the past, and he's battled knee issues. But looking at this season, I wouldn't say Howard has been the clear #1 center in the league. Bynum is right there. And he's not an enormous liability on the foul line either.

Mr. Cinema
04-16-12, 03:24 PM
In non NBA news. I noticed on ESPN.com's front page the WNBA draft was the main headline. Is David Stern secretly pumping money to keep that league afloat? If not, then why does it still exist? I was just wondering if the league will finally go away as soon as Stern retires from the NBA.

Decker
04-16-12, 04:17 PM
Bynum's numbers are almost identical to Howard, and Bynum has Kobe taking a ton of shots and Gasol is still heavily involved on offense. He's clearly better than Howard offensively, and his 12 rebs per game is close to Howard's 14. Howard probably gets a few more chances because the Magic chuck so many 3s.

Obviously Howard has been the more consistent pro. Bynum's involvement in the offense was less in the past, and he's battled knee issues. But looking at this season, I wouldn't say Howard has been the clear #1 center in the league. Bynum is right there. And he's not an enormous liability on the foul line either.

It's not just Andande at ESPN. In this (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-120416/nba-best-best) 5-On-5 piece today, they ask five of their True Hoops bloggers who had a better year among the top players at each position and Bynum won 4-1 over Howard. It's been a weird collection of things, with Bynum getting much better this year and Howard really acting poisonous to his team, but it's hard not to at least conclude that the gap has closed considerably since the All-Star Break. I'm not sure that the Magic yet regret passing on a Bynum-for-Howard swap, but if nothing else, I'm sure Lakers management is content with the fact that it didn't happen and Howard stayed in the East.

fujishig
04-16-12, 06:49 PM
So far this season, the Knicks are better without Carmelo (and Amare), the Heat are better without Wade, the Lakers are better without Kobe and the Bulls are better without Rose. Well, at least according to talk radio fodder. Oh and the Spurs are pretty good despite limiting the minutes of their big 3. Time for an Orlando run? :)

FanofComedy
04-16-12, 09:39 PM
So far this season, the Knicks are better without Carmelo (and Amare), the Heat are better without Wade, the Lakers are better without Kobe and the Bulls are better without Rose. Well, at least according to talk radio fodder. Oh and the Spurs are pretty good despite limiting the minutes of their big 3. Time for an Orlando run? :)

Yeah the Magic has won 2 in a row without Dwight. Not sure if it will last in the playoffs

dsa_shea
04-17-12, 08:18 AM
Actually, the Knicks are not better without the Melo that we have seen play of late. Without him we would be watching Fields miss shots two feet from the rim and Davis and Smith launching three pointers at a record pace.

Decker
04-17-12, 04:25 PM
Apparently, Dwight Howard might miss the rest of the regular season and into the Playoffs with his back injury.

If he can't go for the Olympics, is it too late to add Andrew Bynum to the Olympic squad? I know he wasn't on the list of 20 finalists (http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/2012MOLYroster.html), but don't know if that means he's ineligible now. The US team still needs a real center (sorry, Tyson Chandler).

LurkerDan
04-17-12, 04:35 PM
Tyson Chandler isn't a real center?

FanofComedy
04-17-12, 04:40 PM
Celtics clinch the Atlantic Division tonight with a win over the Knicks and a loss by the Sixers.

WallyOPD
04-17-12, 04:41 PM
Chandler seems like an ideal C for London, given the likely plethora of scorers on the Olympic team.

Decker
04-17-12, 04:44 PM
Well, he is as far as height, but he's kind of lanky and not the dominant offensive force Howard or Bynum are. He's listed at 240, as opposed to Howard's 265 and Bynum's 285. We need at least one of those big guys to clog the middle and score at will in the post. I don't think that's Tyson's strength, though he's a heck of a defender and was probably the main reason the Mavs won the Championship in 2011.

In any case, it was our weakest position before Howard's injury. I'm not at all suggesting you don't bring Tyson, but if Howard is really unable to go to London, I'd rather have Bynum as one of the other 11 guys on the roster than yet another talented but unremarkable guard or small forward (Iguodala, Rudy Gay, Eric Gordon).

LurkerDan
04-17-12, 05:03 PM
Chandler is a true center, he's just not a scoring center. A center need not be a dominant offensive force to be very effective (see Russell, Bill).

They'll be fine without Bynum.

fumanstan
04-17-12, 11:10 PM
Spurs turning the tide on the Lakers this time :(

TNT announcing crew using the word "girth" repeatedly :lol:

Maxflier
04-18-12, 10:10 AM
Chandler seems like an ideal C for London, given the likely plethora of scorers on the Olympic team.

Exactly. And Chandler has the best shot percentage in the league because of the easy dunks he gets due to the the threats the Knicks have, just imagine with nothing but all-stars around him for the other countries to worry about.

DJariya
04-18-12, 02:09 PM
I haven't paid any attention to them this season, but I just looked at the standings and damn the Charlotte Bobcats are fucking horrible. 7 wins and 17 straight losses. And this team actually made the playoffs 2 years ago.

I just took a look at their roster and it's garbage. Jordan turned his team into shit in 2 years. :lol: and I seriously doubt any player from Kentucky will make them better in the draft. What free agent would want to sign with this team?

Apple Gooncha
04-18-12, 08:06 PM
I haven't paid any attention to them this season, but I just looked at the standings and damn the Charlotte Bobcats are fucking horrible. 7 wins and 17 straight losses. And this team actually made the playoffs 2 years ago.

I just took a look at their roster and it's garbage. Jordan turned his team into shit in 2 years. :lol: and I seriously doubt any player from Kentucky will make them better in the draft. What free agent would want to sign with this team?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that down by 31 in the 4th right now, we can go ahead and make that 18 straight losses.

FanofComedy
04-18-12, 08:12 PM
The Bobcats should be kicked out the league

Decker
04-18-12, 11:10 PM
I seriously doubt any player from Kentucky will make them better in the draft. What free agent would want to sign with this team?
I agree that Anthony Davis would have to block a hell of a lot of shots to make up for the scoring ineptitude of this team. There hasn't been a single draft-entering player who has been skilled enough to make a bad team into a contender since the 2003 draft of LeBron and Dwayne Wade.

Decker
04-19-12, 12:03 AM
Pacific Division will come right down to the end. Lakers have a half game lead and own the tie break, but have to play the Spurs in San Antonio and host OKC before closing at Sacramento for the second straight season with their teary fans wondering if it's the Kings' final game there, while the Clips play @ Phoenix, host the worst team in the conference (NO), then close at Atlanta and then in MSG. I can easily see the Clippers taking the division.

JumpCutz
04-19-12, 12:46 AM
Sure it's within the realm of possibility, but I'd be surprised if the Lakers don't win the division.

fujishig
04-19-12, 11:42 AM
I agree that Anthony Davis would have to block a hell of a lot of shots to make up for the scoring ineptitude of this team. There hasn't been a single draft-entering player who has been skilled enough to make a bad team into a contender since the 2003 draft of LeBron and Dwayne Wade.

? What about Howard in 2004? Deron and Paul in 2005? Durant in 2007 and Rose in 2008?

about the bobcats, I thought this was interesting (from Bill Simmons a few days ago, http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7809914/absurd-tanking-knicks-surging-miami-madness):

1. Do you realize Charlotte has a chance to finish with the NBA's worst winning percentage ever? The '73 Sixers own the worst 82-game record (9-73); the '99 Grizzlies own the worst strike-shortened record (8-42); and the '48 Providence Steamers set the records for fewest wins (they went 6-42) and most times someone said, "They put a team THERE?" (215,563 times and counting). The Bobcats have blown 50 of their 57 games for a remarkable winning percentage of … (wait for it) … .123.

.123!!!!!!

They could win one more game and still set the record (.121), but if they blow their last nine and finish 7-59, that drops them to an unfathomable (and record-setting) .108. Even better, that means Michael Jordan would have direct ties to the best regular-season team ever (the '96 Bulls) and the worst regular-season team ever (the '12 Bobcats). Stay classy, MJ.

2. Sorry, we have to run the Bobcats back because you won't ever witness a more worthless professional basketball team. You can't even call them shitty because it's an insult to shit. It seems impossible that an NBA team could finish with a point differential of negative double digits (even the 8-42 Grizzlies finished -8.94 in 1999), but Charlotte's opponents have outscored them by a staggering 13.3 points per game. The Bobcats have lost 31 games by 10 points or more. They're 2-30 against teams .500 or better. They're 4-23 at home. They've had losing streaks of 15 and 14 (the current one). They tied a record this week by losing their third straight home game by 20 points or more. They don't have a single player averaging more than 15 points, 6.5 assists or 5.6 rebounds. Their three best players (Kemba Walker, Gerald Henderson and Byron Mullens) wouldn't play a lick for ANY of the league's 10 best teams.

Did I mention that the most homicidally competitive athlete of our lifetime owns this franchise? What the hell? How can Michael Jordan live with himself? And how can we reward this putridity (is that even a word?) by giving them the 'Brow in two months? That reminds me …

Mordred
04-19-12, 01:24 PM
I liked this one from that same column:
Why did so many media people (including Charles Barkley, which amazed me) temper their recent Odom criticisms by telling us what a good guy he is? As in, "Look, I like Lamar a lot, but " What's to like? He stole $8.9 million from the Mavericks this season, openly mailed in games, crapped on his teammates and waved a giant middle finger to their entire fan base while FILMING A REALITY SHOW AS IT WAS HAPPENING. This wasn't one of the most egregious cases of player malpractice in recent sports history? I know he was going through some personal issues, but if that's the case, take an unpaid leave of absence and get yourself together. Don't keep cashing the checks! You know things are bad when even Vince Carter thinks you're quitting on the team that's like Lindsay Lohan looking down on Amanda Bynes's latest DUI.

Apple Gooncha
04-19-12, 04:36 PM
? What about Howard in 2004? Deron and Paul in 2005? Durant in 2007 and Rose in 2008?

about the bobcats, I thought this was interesting (from Bill Simmons a few days ago, http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7809914/absurd-tanking-knicks-surging-miami-madness):

Unfortunately, Bill's numbers are a little off there. A .121 winning percentage would be better than the 1972 76ers (who went 9-73, which is a .10975 winning percentage), so, if the Bobcats win 1 of their last 5, they will not finish with the worst win% ever.

Also, if they do finish 7-59, their win percentage would be .10606, not .108.... not a big deal, but I'm a little anal about these things, and as soon as I read this article a few days ago I immediately knew his math was wrong.

devilshalo
04-19-12, 04:52 PM
Sure it's within the realm of possibility, but I'd be surprised if the Lakers don't win the division.
I don't know about that. If teams are playing into strengths and weaknesses of playoff seeding, maybe it would be better for the Lakers to have the Clippers ahead of them if the Spurs win the #1 seed. Way too many probabilities with only a handful of games left, but seeding has to be in their mind. Winning without Kobe was sort of unexpected, so maybe they were fine with 4th or 5th spot. Spurs have 5 games: the Lakers, Cleveland, Portland, Phoenix and Golden State left. OKC has only 4: Sacto, Lakers, Sacto and Denver. I think it's highly possible that the Spurs finish at the top of the West.

If that were the case, then the Lakers' road would most likely be Memphis, San Antonio, OKC. Better to face OKC in the WCF than earlier. Then one would hope they'll tire from facing Denver and the Clippers.

koops
04-19-12, 09:37 PM
Dwight's done for the season. Good Riddance!
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7834605/orlando-magic-dwight-howard-back-surgery-miss-rest-season

Decker
04-20-12, 01:25 AM

I'll give you Paul -- he did carry that Hornets team single-handedly into contention in just a few years. Howard got there eventually, but he was very raw initially and it took years for him to develop his offensive game. Durant is amazing, but he's hardly a one-man show; some folks don't even think he's the best player on his own team. Regardless, being paired with an All-Pro PG helps a lot. Rose has a lot of help as well - he's a wonderful, brilliant player on a great, talented team that's impeccably coached. It's impressive and I admire the hell out of the guy, but it's hardly LeBron in Cleveland or Shaq in Orlando. Deron? I'd hardly call either the Jazz or the Nets "contenders" and he's been in the league for seven seasons now.

Clippers lose a tough one to Phoenix. They drop a game back of the Lakers (that's really two back because of the tie-breaker). If the Lakers split the next two doozies (@Spurs, vs OKC), they should be good. Lose them both and it's a first round meeting with the Grizz. Not an easy first round opponent at all there.

fumanstan
04-20-12, 02:11 AM
I'd say Paul, Durant, Howard, and Rose are all right up there with Wade. Lebron's the only one of a kind talent though (well, through 3 quarters anyway)

starman9000
04-20-12, 06:45 AM
Wolves win their first game in April since 2009. :up:

This season really turned south in a hurry after Rubio went down.

Mr. Cinema
04-20-12, 09:05 AM
I'd say Paul, Durant, Howard, and Rose are all right up there with Wade. Lebron's the only one of a kind talent though (well, through 3 quarters anyway)
LeBron has his struggles in crunch time, but he is definitely in a league of his own as far as physical talent goes. Probably the only player in the league who could effectively play all 5 positions on offense or defense.

Larry C.
04-20-12, 09:25 AM
Damn the Heat were chippy last night. I like it!!!! You can tell its getting close to playoff time. At first when I saw Wade throw Hamilton to the floor I was like what the hell are you doing??? But then saw Hamilton pushed off Wade and guess Wade wasn't having it yesterday.

I kinda cheered when Jones pushed Noah. Even though it wasn't right. I can't stand that guy.

Sonny Corinthos
04-20-12, 10:17 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/36533_324557424278402_142422915825188_804254_1855537413_n.jpg

:lol: The many headbands of Lebron. Just give it up dude, the whole world knows you are going bald. There's no shame in that.

Larry C.
04-20-12, 10:45 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/36533_324557424278402_142422915825188_804254_1855537413_n.jpg

:lol: The many headbands of Lebron. Just give it up dude, the whole world knows you are going bald. There's no shame in that.

:lol:

coli
04-20-12, 12:09 PM

Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith rip on Lebron every week about admitting that he's going bald and getting rid of the headband.

The funniest on the TNT show was a segment they did like 'The Decision' with Ernie Johnson doing a fake interview with Lebron about when he was going to shave his head.

fujishig
04-20-12, 01:18 PM
I'll give you Paul -- he did carry that Hornets team single-handedly into contention in just a few years. Howard got there eventually, but he was very raw initially and it took years for him to develop his offensive game. Durant is amazing, but he's hardly a one-man show; some folks don't even think he's the best player on his own team. Regardless, being paired with an All-Pro PG helps a lot. Rose has a lot of help as well - he's a wonderful, brilliant player on a great, talented team that's impeccably coached. It's impressive and I admire the hell out of the guy, but it's hardly LeBron in Cleveland or Shaq in Orlando. Deron? I'd hardly call either the Jazz or the Nets "contenders" and he's been in the league for seven seasons now.

I guess it depends what you mean by contenders. Deron's Jazz team made it further than Paul's Hornets teams, IIRC, though the Jazz teams had more talent. But if you mean a single rookie bringing a team to championship contention all by himself, with arguably no other stars around them, then that's tough, even in league history. Shaq had a pre-injury Penny, remember. Duncan had a returning-from-injury David Robinson. Even Jordan didn't win anything without Pippen, and Magic and Bird had loaded teams. Wade had Shaq, and then the Heat had that awful season when he was by himself before Lebron and Bosh joined him. The only one in recent history I can think of other than Lebron who took an otherwise crappy team (built around their star) to the Finals was Iverson...

FanofComedy
04-20-12, 01:26 PM
Even though the Heat won last night it's too little too late for them to catch the Bulls because it's not enough games left and they should have beat the Bulls when it counted back in March.

bootsy
04-20-12, 01:42 PM

Clippers lose a tough one to Phoenix. They drop a game back of the Lakers (that's really two back because of the tie-breaker). If the Lakers split the next two doozies (@Spurs, vs OKC), they should be good. Lose them both and it's a first round meeting with the Grizz. Not an easy first round opponent at all there.

Paul didn't singlehandedly carry the Hornets to jack. While he was there he got past the 1st round once in 07-08 where they lost to the Spurs in 7 games in the 2nd round at home. He's been to the playoffs 2 other times losing in the 1st round. It didn't hurt that he had David West playing alongside him. So no Paul didn't carry the Hornets to anything special and definitely not singlehandedly.

As for Deron, he's been the Conference Finals once winning a Game 7 on the road against the Rockets in 06-07 and past the 1st round two other times. So saying dismissing Deron while praising Paul doesn't quite add up.

Larry C.
04-20-12, 01:55 PM
Even though the Heat won last night it's too little too late for them to catch the Bulls because it's not enough games left and they should have beat the Bulls when it counted back in March.

That's ok. The Heat got swept by the Bulls last regular season and finished with the 2nd seed.

How did that work out for the Bulls?

fujishig
04-20-12, 01:58 PM
What happened to David West? Was it the injury, or the Pacers style of play, or did Paul just make him look better than he really was? And speaking of Paul, statistically what happened to his assists down in lob city?

argh923
04-20-12, 02:55 PM
I don't know about that. If teams are playing into strengths and weaknesses of playoff seeding, maybe it would be better for the Lakers to have the Clippers ahead of them if the Spurs win the #1 seed. Way too many probabilities with only a handful of games left, but seeding has to be in their mind. Winning without Kobe was sort of unexpected, so maybe they were fine with 4th or 5th spot. Spurs have 5 games: the Lakers, Cleveland, Portland, Phoenix and Golden State left. OKC has only 4: Sacto, Lakers, Sacto and Denver. I think it's highly possible that the Spurs finish at the top of the West.

If that were the case, then the Lakers' road would most likely be Memphis, San Antonio, OKC. Better to face OKC in the WCF than earlier. Then one would hope they'll tire from facing Denver and the Clippers.

I love how you pencil in the Lakers as getting to the WCF. I don't think they even get past Memphis in your scenario.

That's ok. The Heat got swept by the Bulls last regular season and finished with the 2nd seed.

Regular season series is irrelevant. Means nothing in either case. I'm confident Chicago can beat Miami in a 7 game series.

What happened to David West? Was it the injury, or the Pacers style of play, or did Paul just make him look better than he really was? And speaking of Paul, statistically what happened to his assists down in lob city?

As far as West goes, I think it's a little bit of all three, to be honest. He's filling a role in Indiana instead of being an All-Star. That said, look at the Pacers this year - it's obviously working.

Larry C.
04-20-12, 03:43 PM
I love how you pencil in the Lakers as getting to the WCF. I don't think they even get past Memphis in your scenario.

Regular season series is irrelevant. Means nothing in either case. I'm confident Chicago can beat Miami in a 7 game series.

As far as West goes, I think it's a little bit of all three, to be honest. He's filling a role in Indiana instead of being an All-Star. That said, look at the Pacers this year - it's obviously working.

Nice I feel a bet coming on....

Shall we say if they meet the loser has to do a Taran-tebow with the opposite teams jersey?

fujishig
04-20-12, 04:49 PM
Nice I feel a bet coming on....

Shall we say if they meet the loser has to do a Taran-tebow with the opposite teams jersey?

So you mean no matter who wins, the loser has to do nothing?

FanofComedy
04-20-12, 04:53 PM

I agree, the Heat don't need the HCA because they didn't have it last year and still won. I was just pointing out that they don't have enough time to catch the Bulls for the best record in the East

Schloob1
04-20-12, 06:08 PM
I agree, the Heat don't need the HCA because they didn't have it last year and still won. I was just pointing out that they don't have enough time to catch the Bulls for the best record in the East

They're only 1 game back in the loss column and the Bulls have 3 games left/the Heat 4 games. Our Bulls don't have a cupcake schedule left. They have the Mavs who are fighting for position and the Pacers who will not be easy either. Miami can very easily go 4-0 the last games, although they should hopefully trip up against Boston unless they want to prove a point.

Because the Bulls blew that game against Washington the other night they help leave that window open. Whether the Heat want it might be another story since as pointed out they do not neccesarily need it against the Bulls.

FanofComedy
04-20-12, 06:15 PM
They're only 1 game back in the loss column and the Bulls have 3 games left/the Heat 4 games. Our Bulls don't have a cupcake schedule left. They have the Mavs who are fighting for position and the Pacers who will not be easy either. Miami can very easily go 4-0 the last games, although they should hopefully trip up against Boston unless they want to prove a point.

Because the Bulls blew that game against Washington the other night they help leave that window open. Whether the Heat want it might be another story since as pointed out they do not neccesarily need it against the Bulls.

The Mavs and Pacers have already locked things up playoff wise and will probably be resting players like the celtics are doing tonight against the hawks. The Pacers know they will be the 3 seed and the Mavs know they will be the 6th seed and clinched a playoff spot last night when the Rockets lost. So I don't think you will see a Mavs team with their starters tomorrow or the Pacers.

Schloob1
04-20-12, 06:39 PM
The Mavs and Pacers have already locked things up playoff wise and will probably be resting players like the celtics are doing tonight against the hawks. The Pacers know they will be the 3 seed and the Mavs know they will be the 6th seed and clinched a playoff spot last night when the Rockets lost. So I don't think you will see a Mavs team with their starters tomorrow or the Pacers.

They do? That's news to me. Playoffs might be locked up but their position definitely is not. The Pacers you probably will not see all their starters or at least not full minutes, but they will still be tough.

FanofComedy
04-20-12, 06:46 PM
They do? That's news to me. Playoffs might be locked up but their position definitely is not. The Pacers you probably will not see all their starters or at least not full minutes, but they will still be tough.

The Bulls play the Cavs at home in their final game of the season so I expect them to wrap up the number 1 seed with no problem. I think 5 members from this website can beat the Cavs in a basketball game.

JumpCutz
04-20-12, 07:12 PM
I'm confident Chicago can beat Miami in a 7 game series.

Hmm.... even with a banged up Rose?

Albeit their inconsistency, I think Miami beats Chicago.

devilshalo
04-20-12, 07:12 PM
I'm just putting down the road that looks easier for the Lakers. Whether they do it or not is irrelevant. Memphis will be a struggle, but I'm not so sure the Griz can survive a 7 game series.

Sure, a Dallas first round could be easy (given they were swept in the regular season), but to possibly meet OKC in the second round, I think the Lakers would fare much worse than if facing the Spurs.

outcastja
04-20-12, 07:52 PM
Hmm.... even with a banged up Rose?

Albeit their inconsistency, I think Miami beats Chicago.

Yeah, I think Lebron will just go all out like last year and will be exhausted by the finals and lose.

Larry C.
04-20-12, 09:16 PM
So you mean no matter who wins, the loser has to do nothing?

:lol: Only after much hazing by the community.

fumanstan
04-20-12, 10:58 PM
Stupid Spurs :(

FanofComedy
04-21-12, 08:04 PM
I;m annoyed by the recent play of the Cavs and Wizards. For some reason these two teams want to play hard and care about winning now that the season is about to end. Where was all this effort in January? So if the Wizards beat Miami tonight that means what?

JumpCutz
04-21-12, 08:13 PM
So if the Wizards beat Miami tonight that means what?

It means that if the Bulls take care of business against Dallas tonight, they are pretty much assured of the one seed.

FanofComedy
04-21-12, 08:40 PM
It means that if the Bulls take care of business against Dallas tonight, they are pretty much assured of the one seed.

They were going to win the number 1 seed anyway because the Bulls play the Cavs at home the last game of the season

JumpCutz
04-22-12, 01:32 AM
They were going to win the number 1 seed anyway because the Bulls play the Cavs at home the last game of the season

Okay. It means the Bulls will not win the NBA title with that offensive offense. :)

starman9000
04-22-12, 08:10 AM
Big game on Tuesday with Utah and Phoenix.

Decker
04-22-12, 10:33 AM
Lakers have a big game today against the Thunder. Trying to hold off the Clips for the Pacific crown to keep the 3 seed (and avoid the Grizz in round one), plus trying to avoid a season sweep by the Thunder that would be an ominous sign heading into the Playoffs. Plus a half-hearted battle for the scoring title between Kobe and Durant. Looking forward to this game.

Apple Gooncha
04-22-12, 02:04 PM
Damn, I thought the Knicks-Hawks game went final, but it's only the end of 3 quarters. Score 94-93 :lol:

hahn
04-22-12, 02:49 PM
Damn, I thought the Knicks-Hawks game went final, but it's only the end of 3 quarters. Score 94-93 :lol:That's what happens when Chandler sits out. That was a close finish. Thought the Knicks were gonna blow it when Stoudemire allowed Williams to slip by him. Waiting for some idiot on Bleacher Report now to claim that the Knicks are better off without Chandler.

hahn
04-22-12, 02:53 PM
KD is ridiculous.

FanofComedy
04-22-12, 03:37 PM
The Knicks are the "Orlando magic" of the Northeast

If their jumpshots are not falling, they LOSE

FanofComedy
04-22-12, 03:39 PM
The old Ron Artest is back and has been ejected . Probably will be suspended 2 or more games

fumanstan
04-22-12, 03:40 PM
Mike Breen sounds like he's overreacting to me, it looks like World Peace is celebrating more then intentionally throwing an elbow. He's not even looking at Harden when he swings his arms, and had no reason to elbow Harden intentionally.

hahn
04-22-12, 03:43 PM
Um, no. That was clearly intentional and he knew exactly where Harden was. No one outside of LA would agree with you.

FanofComedy
04-22-12, 03:43 PM
Mike Breen sounds like he's overreacting to me, it looks like World Peace is celebrating more then intentionally throwing an elbow. He's not even looking at Harden when he swings his arms, and had no reason to elbow Harden intentionally.

It looks like he did it on purpose to me going by the replay

Sweet Baby James
04-22-12, 03:44 PM

I have to disagree. WP definitely felt Harden's arm and then he threw the elbow. He knew that someone was there before he flung his elbow.

gotrice487
04-22-12, 03:45 PM
Meta World Peace...next UFC champ?

fumanstan
04-22-12, 03:45 PM
I think it was a elbow shove to get him out of the way, but I disagree it was a malicious elbow trying to knock out a guy. Or disgraceful like Breen was repeating.

Sweet Baby James
04-22-12, 03:48 PM
That's some shove.:lol:

FanofComedy
04-22-12, 03:49 PM
Why was Harden standing there anyway?

hahn
04-22-12, 03:49 PM
I think it was a elbow shove to get him out of the way, but I disagree it was a malicious elbow trying to knock out a guy. Or disgraceful like Breen was repeating.Re-watch that play in slow motion. He knew exactly where Harden was because they were already in contact. And that was NOT a shove. He threw his elbow backwards. HARD. And then reacted to his hit with a roar as if he were a WWF wrestler. I get that you're a Lakers fan, but your defense of him is just plain wrong. SMH.

fumanstan
04-22-12, 03:50 PM
That's some shove.:lol:

I guess, but think about the context of the game if you're watching it. There hasn't been any really chippy, tense play. Artest just throws down a big dunk, is clearly celebrating as he bumps into Harden, and shoves him out of the way. Like I said, he's not even looking at Harden, he's just moving him out of the way like players do quite often as they bump into guys.

I'm not disagreeing that he should get ejected and suspended, but does anything in the course of the game make it seem like he would just attack a guy?

hahn
04-22-12, 03:54 PM
I guess, but think about the context of the game if you're watching it. There hasn't been any really chippy, tense play. Artest just throws down a big dunk, is clearly celebrating as he bumps into Harden, and shoves him out of the way. Like I said, he's not even looking at Harden, he's just moving him out of the way like players do quite often as they bump into guys.

I'm not disagreeing that he should get ejected and suspended, but does anything in the course of the game make it seem like he would just attack a guy?You KNOW about Ron Artest, right? Does the Artest we know need a rational reason for doing what he does?

Sweet Baby James
04-22-12, 03:55 PM
Because that is his nature(the scorpion and the frog comes to mind).

fumanstan
04-22-12, 03:56 PM
Re-watch that play in slow motion. He knew exactly where Harden was because they were already in contact. And that was NOT a shove. He threw his elbow backwards. HARD. And then reacted to his hit with a roar as if he were a WWF wrestler. I get that you're a Lakers fan, but your defense of him is just plain wrong. SMH.

You KNOW about Ron Artest, right? Then why do you need a rational explanation for why he would do something like that on purpose?

I've been watching this whole game and every replay they've shown. He was already roaring with excitement after the dunk, not specifically from the hit.

Even Brousaard right now in half time said there wasn't any eye contact and didn't think it was necessarily malicious.

I understand the precedent of Artest, but he's behaved himself for years. I don't think that alone means he's out there intentionally elbowing guys in the head just because. Even the palace fight was in reaction to something specific. I don't think this was, hence I don't think he's there to fuck guys up just because.

Don't get me wrong, he deserves whatever penalty he does, I just disagree that's he's deliberately out to fuck guys up.

hahn
04-22-12, 04:11 PM
Here's the replay for those who missed it <br /><iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PYVDsZh4LiU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Best comment: "Metta World War"

fumanstan
04-22-12, 04:16 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1076137/elbow.gif

davidh777
The Knicks are the "Orlando magic" of the Northeast

If their jumpshots are not falling, they LOSE

Shouldn't that be "Duke"?

Apple Gooncha
Whether he intended to hit someone that hard in the head is debatable, but I think he clearly knew he was trying to knock someone out of the way.

FanofComedy
04-22-12, 04:21 PM
Shouldn't that be "Duke"?

Or Princeton LOL

davidh777
04-22-12, 04:28 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1076137/elbow.gif

Maybe he was trying to thump his chest and missed

Decker
04-22-12, 04:56 PM
Whether he intended to hit someone that hard in the head is debatable, but I think he clearly knew he was trying to knock someone out of the way.

That's kind of where I stand on it too. He was certainly clearing space and knew someone was too near him, but I really don't think he intended to injure or hit as hard as he did to the head. Every NBA cheap shot I've seen over the years, from Kermit Washington to John Starks to Andrew Bynum -- they all looked at the guy they connected with. Artest didn't look that direction before or after the contact. I think that makes it pretty clear he didn't intend or realize what a vicious blow it was.
That said, if it's a few game suspension for the contact, that's understandable. Good news for Lakers fans -- now we have a convenient scapegoat to spit venom at when the season ends prematurely in the playoffs (besides Mike Brown who I think doesn't come back next year in any case).

fumanstan
04-22-12, 05:04 PM
That's kind of where I stand on it too. He was certainly clearing space and knew someone was too near him, but I really don't think he intended to injure or hit as hard as he did to the head. Every NBA cheap shot I've seen over the years, from Kermit Washington to John Starks to Andrew Bynum -- they all looked at the guy they connected with. Artest didn't look that direction before or after the contact. I think that makes it pretty clear he didn't intend or realize what a vicious blow it was.
That said, if it's a few game suspension for the contact, that's understandable. Good news for Lakers fans -- now we have a convenient scapegoat to spit venom at when the season ends prematurely in the playoffs (besides Mike Brown who I think doesn't come back next year in any case).

Yeah, pretty much what I was getting at. Yet people are shaking their heads at me :(

fumanstan
04-22-12, 05:08 PM
Meanwhile, nice come back by the Lakers.

Schloob1
04-22-12, 05:09 PM
Not sure he knew it was Harden or not, but certain he knew it was "someone" on the Thunder because when I watch the replay after the dunk coming down he can see the "receiver" of said elbow in his view before turning away from him and starting to head down the court and delivering the elbow.

FanofComedy
04-22-12, 05:11 PM
The Thunder are so good in giving away leads. How the hell did they give up a 15 point lead with 4 mins to go?

Decker
04-22-12, 05:25 PM
Double OT!

FanofComedy
04-22-12, 05:29 PM
Anyone know why the bipolar man...."Andrew Bynum" is not in the game????

hahn
04-22-12, 05:36 PM
Whoa, you go away for a couple of short errands and the game completely changes. How the hell?

chess
Kobe. :jawdrop:

fumanstan

Because the Laker come back was without him, so Mike Brown is going with whats been working. Probably nothing more to it then that.

FanofComedy
04-22-12, 05:37 PM
Whoa, you go away for a couple of short errands and the game completely changes. How the hell?

I think Steve Blake is the main reason the Lakers came back and now will probably win. He hit a lot of big 3 pointers during regulation and hit a big 3 in the 2nd overtime.

Decker
04-22-12, 05:40 PM

I wondered about him and Sessions. But whatever, this super- weird rotation is clearly working today.

Mr. Cinema
04-22-12, 05:44 PM
What a great, gutsy win by the Lakers. They were left for dead after the 3rd quarter and based on the past few games, I thought they'd give up in the 4th. Nice to see some big contributions from Blake, Ebanks, and Hill.

FanofComedy
04-22-12, 05:46 PM
Well the Spurs will now be a full game ahead of the Thunder for the number 1 seed and will be a game and a half up since they play the cavs at home tonight

FanofComedy
04-22-12, 05:49 PM
What a great, gutsy win by the Lakers. They were left for dead after the 3rd quarter and based on the past few games, I thought they'd give up in the 4th. Nice to see some big contributions from Blake, Ebanks, and Hill.

It's easy to perform when you are "in the cleanup" role.

Decker
04-22-12, 05:55 PM
It's easy to perform when you are "in the cleanup" role.

It's easy to come back from an 18 point fourth-quarter deficit against one of the best teams in basketball in your sixth game with your team when you're had almost no playing time all season?

FanofComedy
04-22-12, 05:58 PM
It's easy to come back from an 18 point fourth-quarter deficit against one of the best teams in basketball in your sixth game with your team when you're had almost no playing time all season?

Yes because expectations for them were LOW and no one was expecting the Lakers to win. That's why they were in the game, just to play hard and show what they have and it ended up resulting in a win.

JumpCutz
04-22-12, 06:05 PM
When Kobe is in "that" zone...he's as good as Jordan ever was.

Easily the best clutch player since MJ.

hahn
04-22-12, 06:05 PM
Being a Blazers fan, naturally I hate the Lakers. But respect for the comeback against the Thunder. And at least most of the players involved in the comeback are players I don't totally hate. Except Kobe.

Decker
04-22-12, 06:10 PM
When Kobe is "that" zone...he's as good as Jordan ever was.

The stat guys are adamant that it's an illusion, that Kobe isn't as clutch as we think, and that he shoots worse late in close games. I know that to be true, and yet it's hard not to believe your own eyes. One thing is certain -- he's fearless to take the shot in crunch time with the game on the line. Win or lose, he'll live with the result and there's something to be said for that.

I often wonder how things would have played out had the CP3 trade been made (or rather had it not been un-made). Paul is certainly statistically the better "clutch" player, but he'd have to defer to Bryant, right? It would have been interesting to watch, that's for sure.

Sonny Corinthos
04-22-12, 06:11 PM
:dance: Huge comeback win by the Lakers! I have to admit, I pretty much thought it was over in the 3rd.

chess
04-22-12, 06:15 PM
I'm glad the Chris Paul trade didn't go down.

No way the difference between Paul and Sessions is greater than the loss of Pau Gasol. No way.

fumanstan
04-22-12, 06:20 PM
The stat guys are adamant that it's an illusion, that Kobe isn't as clutch as we think, and that he shoots worse late in close games. I know that to be true, and yet it's hard not to believe your own eyes. One thing is certain -- he's fearless to take the shot in crunch time with the game on the line. Win or lose, he'll live with the result and there's something to be said for that.

I think a lot of that is just because there are also enough bad Kobe games that offset the times when he looks great. It's one of those things where he can shoot you out of games, or shoot you back into them. You can see them in statistics, but it's a lot easier to remember the good games like this one or the game winners, versus the bad, so the overall feel is that he comes through. I'd like to think he comes through more often then he chokes though.

Larry C.
04-22-12, 06:21 PM

I often wonder how things would have played out had the CP3 trade been made (or rather had it not been un-made). Paul is certainly statistically the better "clutch" player, but he'd have to defer to Bryant, right? It would have been interesting to watch, that's for sure.

I heard on the radio that most of the clutch stuff is an illusion. That the highest shot % in the final shots in game is like 25% That's in games where the last shot determined the outcome of the game.

RayChuang
04-22-12, 07:32 PM
Unfortunately, there's going to be lurid interest on seeing how long Metta World Peace is suspended and fined. -rolleyes- My guess: ten games and US$75,000.

FanofComedy
04-22-12, 07:33 PM
Unfortunately, there's going to be lurid interest on seeing how long Metta World Peace is suspended and fined. -rolleyes- My guess: ten games and US$75,000.

It should be 2 games or less.

sinned
04-22-12, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he got suspended for 5 games.

FanofComedy
04-22-12, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he got suspended for 5 games.

If so it would only be because of his reputation in the past. That action is not a five game suspension

fumanstan
04-22-12, 08:04 PM
5 games seems possible to me as well.

FanofComedy
04-22-12, 08:06 PM
5 games seems possible to me as well.

For a elbow?

Deftones
04-22-12, 08:23 PM
That was obviously blatant. He deserves a 10 game suspension. Makes me even more mad that it happened to Harden.

The Cow
04-22-12, 08:26 PM
2 games seems about right for what the league dishes out these days. That Kevin Love face step only got 2 games. Bynum had that 5 gamer, but he pretty much took Barea out.

If it's more than 2, it's probably because of his past reputation.

WallyOPD
04-22-12, 08:27 PM
The fact that he didn't look at Harden is silly. He made contact with him and then threw an elbow back as hard as he could, and at head height. And then after his elbow clearly made serious contact he didn't even turn around to see what happened. Not looking at Harden was intentional.

outcastja
04-22-12, 08:30 PM
If Harden ends up with a concussion and can't play a few games as a result, I think the suspension may end up longer than 10 games.

Matt
04-22-12, 08:35 PM
If Harden ends up with a concussion and can't play a few games as a result

The Thunder beat writer confirmed that it is a concussion, and said that it will likely be a couple of days before Harden is cleared to play.

I'm guessing he'll sit out the last two games of the regular season and be ready to go by Game 1. Hopefully.

Decker
04-22-12, 08:37 PM
The Thunder beat writer confirmed that it is a concussion, and said that it will likely be a couple of days before Harden is cleared to play.

I'm guessing he'll sit out the last two games of the regular season and be ready to go by Game 1. Hopefully.

Guess again. There's only one more regular season game for the Lakers

outcastja
04-22-12, 08:38 PM

He was referring to Harden.

Matt
04-22-12, 08:39 PM

Talking about Harden, not Fuckhead.

The Cow
04-22-12, 08:39 PM

I think he's talking about Harden and his concussion.

fumanstan
04-22-12, 08:42 PM
For a elbow?

Yes, because I feel like the NBA tends to react based on the result of the action, not necessarily the action itself. If that hit a 7 footer in the chest and nothing happened, it would probably just be the ejection and a fine. On a smaller guy where it lands on the head, maliciously or not, much more serious.

Decker
04-22-12, 08:48 PM
Talking about Harden, not Fuckhead.

Oops, my mistake. :blush:

outcastja
04-22-12, 08:49 PM
With concussions being a big concern in sports lately, it wouldn't surprise me if Artest's first game back will be next season.

Decker
04-22-12, 08:56 PM
With concussions being a big concern in sports lately, it wouldn't surprise me if Artest's first game back will be next season.

That's why I think the fact Artest wasn't looking in Harden's direction is an important distinction. If he were looking at him, going for his head, that would be a really malicious hit and worthy of a long suspension. The way it happened, there's no way RonRon could have known he was hitting Harden in the head with his clearly spontaneous elbow thrusts. It's unfortunate for sure and warrants a suspension, but I think that has to be taken into consideration.

fumanstan
04-22-12, 08:58 PM
From Metta's twitter...

Metta WorldPeace ‏ @MettaWorldPeace Reply Retweet Favorite Open
I just watched the replay again..... Oooo.. My celebration of the dunk really was too much... Didn't even see James ..... Omg... Looks bad

Metta WorldPeace ‏ @MettaWorldPeace Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Hope James Hardin is ok... I remember when I hit by Marc Gasol the same way.. I was spitting up blood and a headache during the game...

WallyOPD
04-22-12, 08:59 PM
That's why I think the fact Artest wasn't looking in Harden's direction is an important distinction. If he were looking at him, going for his head, that would be a really malicious hit and worthy of a long suspension. The way it happened, there's no way RonRon could have known he was hitting Harden in the head with his clearly spontaneous elbow thrusts. It's unfortunate for sure and warrants a suspension, but I think that has to be taken into consideration.

How could he not know? He didn't cock the elbow until after they bumped and then he threw it at head height.

dsa_shea
04-22-12, 09:02 PM
When is he changing his name to Metta World War? Anyways, I really don't think it was intentional and it appears that he is genuinely sorry that it even happened. I didn't see the game or the play so I could be off but who really knows what is going on inside of this guy's head?

Barth
04-22-12, 09:05 PM
From Metta's twitter...

Way to try and cover yourself there Metta. It's so easy to apoligize on the net without telling someone in person. I didn't see it live but just caught the replays. IMO, if it's truly a concussion, miss a series of the playoffs, if not final game and 2 games of the series.

Decker
04-22-12, 09:07 PM
Who know with that guy. Whatever he gets, he gets and likely deserves. But I hope if they take his past behavior into the suspension, they also remember that he's been a pretty clean player for the Lakers for three seasons until today. I think if we're going to hold The Palace against him now, his Laker time (and 2010-2011 Sportsmanship Award) should be considered as well.

Deftones
04-22-12, 09:11 PM
If you are going to make a half-assed attempt to apologize to the guy on twitter, at least spell his name right. -ohbfrank-

Now that it's confirmed it's a concussion, I hope we don't see this dickbag playing another game this season.

Sweet Baby James
04-22-12, 09:17 PM
I've never in my life seen a player celebrate a dunk by flailing a wild elbow over his shoulder. Interesting.

Rypro 525
04-23-12, 12:27 AM
<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/so3TR0bcx9k?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/so3TR0bcx9k?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I love that the announcer is like "Ron Art errr World Peace"

RayChuang
04-23-12, 06:44 AM
I would be REALLY surprised if World Peace is suspended for the rest of the season, including playoffs. That's why my ten-game suspension and US$75,000 fine suggestion is probably the most accurate.

Jam Master Jay
04-23-12, 09:18 AM
I was thinking more like a 5 game suspension, that wasn't even the worse flagrant foul or dirtiest play I've seen before but I guess I could see 10 games given his track record. Karl Malone was suspended for 1 game for this elbow btw
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6bM-Y4UoiAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TomOpus
04-23-12, 11:15 AM
I've never in my life seen a player celebrate a dunk by flailing a wild elbow over his shoulder. Interesting.No kidding. His tweet said he never saw him but he bumped into him before he started the wind-up. The way he pulled back his elbow so far and the angle it took sure looks like it was aimed.

davidh777
04-23-12, 11:59 AM
From the animated gif, I thought he was posting up. Seeing the play in context makes it seem more like celebration than clearing out, but yeah, I've never seen anyone celebrate like that. Maybe if he was throwing both elbows back at the same time.