Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

fumanstan
03-14-12, 03:33 PM
NBA Trade Deadlines are more fun then any other sport. :)

sleepyhead55
03-14-12, 03:38 PM
Fresh Lakers rumor:

"Sources confirm: Lakers, Wolves and Blazers discussing three-team deal. Michael Beasley to L.A., Jamal Crawford to Minnesota, Steve Blake to Portland. Other players and picks will likely be added to the LA-MIN-POR three-team deal. Those are just the names I'm hearing right now."

:lol: Portland looks like they're getting the short end of this trade.

Mr. Cinema
03-14-12, 03:40 PM
NBA Trade Deadlines are more fun then any other sport. :)
If the Lakers ship off Blake, they have to have another deal in the works for a PG. I know they have the 2 1st rounders and the trade exception from the Odom deal. I wonder if they have enough to get Beasley and still land someone like Sessions. That's not a bad starting 5.

Mr. Cinema
03-14-12, 03:41 PM
:lol: Portland looks like they're getting the short end of this trade.
Is Chris Wallace secretly making deals for Portland?

sleepyhead55
03-14-12, 03:52 PM
If the Lakers ship off Blake, they have to have another deal in the works for a PG. I know they have the 2 1st rounders and the trade exception from the Odom deal. I wonder if they have enough to get Beasley and still land someone like Sessions. That's not a bad starting 5.

I thought the first rounder was the holdup in the Sessions talk (ie Lakers don't want to give it up in a deep draft).

The Odom pick is Top 20 protected until 2017. Mavs currently at pick #17.

Mr. Cinema
03-14-12, 04:50 PM
Looks like the Howard drama isn't over.

Chris Mannix of SI tweeted the Magic are still looking for trade deals involving Howard.

fujishig
03-14-12, 05:57 PM
I don't think Howard guaranteed anything yet. He had a players meeting where he said he was "All in" for this season; I don't understand how writers extrapolate that to promising to be around next season.

Is Steve Blake just a really bad fit in Mike Brown's system? The guy was a serviceable point guard in the past, and if the trade rumors are true, Portland, at least, values him and wants him back... I don't see them giving up Crawford for a guy they don't expect to be starting, since their PG spot (and their coaching situation) is a mess. And yet he can't get the start over Fisher on a PG-deprived Lakers team?

dsa_shea
03-14-12, 07:58 PM
The Knicks are at least looking like an NBA team for a night after D'Antoni and his bench brother from the same mother walked away.

starman9000
03-14-12, 08:44 PM
I see in the box-score Crawford hasn't played. Is he on the bench?

hahn
03-14-12, 08:58 PM
good to see the Knicks doing well. sucks that it has to be against the Blazers though. ugh, what happened to the Blazers from the first month?

hahn
03-14-12, 09:05 PM
ugh. Woodson needs to talk to the players about sportsmanship. Showboating when you're up by 30+ is not cool.

hahn
03-14-12, 09:10 PM
I don't think Howard guaranteed anything yet. He had a players meeting where he said he was "All in" for this season; I don't understand how writers extrapolate that to promising to be around next season.

Is Steve Blake just a really bad fit in Mike Brown's system? The guy was a serviceable point guard in the past, and if the trade rumors are true, Portland, at least, values him and wants him back... I don't see them giving up Crawford for a guy they don't expect to be starting, since their PG spot (and their coaching situation) is a mess. And yet he can't get the start over Fisher on a PG-deprived Lakers team?
Howard is quite obviously trying to have it all. He wants to play the rest of the season with Orland and then walk to the Nets without the Nets having to give up anyone. Which would be a serious F*** you to the Orlando fans. He has no intention at all of sticking around another year.

I had a feeling we would regret trading Andre Miller away. Miller has intangible qualities beyond his numbers that Felton just lacks. Hope the Blazers get rid of Felton and Crawford. Though not in exchange for Blake, PLEASE.

Michael T Hudson
03-14-12, 09:24 PM
Lakers in OT again tonight.

DJariya
03-14-12, 09:48 PM
:thumbsup: Good win tonight by the Lakers. Back to Back OT wins.

Kobe and Bynum were great. It shouldn't have been this close though. The Hornets are pretty bad.

Quite a few Lakers fans in New Orleans after seeing him to talk to Mike Trudell.

Michael T Hudson
03-14-12, 09:48 PM
Another road win.

Decker
03-14-12, 09:52 PM
:thumbsup: Good win tonight by the Lakers. Back to Back OT wins.

Kobe and Bynum were great. It shouldn't have been this close though. The Hornets are pretty bad.

Um, they played a double OT game last night against a tough team. I figured they'd phone in this one in. They did for a half anyway.

Brown is going to run this team into the ground. Kobe has played literally 95 minutes in just over 24 hours. I'm amazed he can keep on going.

Maxflier
03-14-12, 09:54 PM
Wow, the Knicks DESTROYED Portland. Hard to judge anything from this game though because Portland was total garbage tonight.

DJariya
03-14-12, 10:04 PM
Lakers haven't won back to back OT games since November 2009

Decker
03-14-12, 10:05 PM
Lakers haven't won back to back OT games since November 2009

How about back-to-back road OT games, Elias?

Larry C.
03-14-12, 10:25 PM
Looks like the Heat is gonna drop 2 in a row on the road. :hairpull:

They just haven't looked the same since after the All-Star Game.

Cory02
03-14-12, 10:27 PM
The guys behind mlbtraderumors.com started hoopsrumors.com earlier this year. Pretty good site to keep up with things, especially with all the trade deadline craziness.

DJariya
03-14-12, 10:38 PM
How about back-to-back road OT games, Elias?

Those OT wins in November 2009 were road wins. vs. Thunder and vs. Rockets.

Schloob1
03-14-12, 11:20 PM
Great win by the Bulls tonight, no Rose and Lucas was playing like a man possesed. This is looking like a great preview of the conference finals.

starman9000
03-14-12, 11:25 PM
Sounds like that Crawford to MN, Beasley to LA, and a LA pick to Portland is pretty much a done deal. If that is what it ends up being, I wonder why LA didn't just send the pick to MN like was rumored earlier?

(yes, yes, I know it's because NBA trade rumors are about as made up as anything)

Decker
03-15-12, 01:09 AM
I'd rather the Lakers use that pick on Sessions. They need a PG way more than they need Beasley.

mcnabb
03-15-12, 08:38 AM
If that is what it ends up being, I wonder why LA didn't just send the pick to MN like was rumored earlier?

Usually when its a 3 team deal, there has to be something dealing with the salary cap to make everything work each team?

Arpeggi
03-15-12, 08:47 AM
Sounds like that Crawford to MN, Beasley to LA, and a LA pick to Portland is pretty much a done deal. If that is what it ends up being, I wonder why LA didn't just send the pick to MN like was rumored earlier?

(yes, yes, I know it's because NBA trade rumors are about as made up as anything)

$$$ The Lakers are on a tight budget for some reason.

Decker
03-15-12, 08:49 AM
It's 5 hrs until the trade deadline.

Apparently Dwight will sign a waiver of his opt out clause this morning to keep the Magic from trading him. I consider that a win for the team (if it really happens), though it does set up the identical scenario for the next season as well.

Mr. Cinema
03-15-12, 08:53 AM

Apparently Dwight will sign a waiver of his opt out clause this morning to keep the Magic from trading him. I consider that a win for the team (if it really happens), though it does set up the identical scenario for the next season as well.
If he does actually sign it, I wonder if the Nets will trade Williams.

LurkerDan
03-15-12, 09:49 AM

hard to know what to believe, as I read a story just last night saying that there was no way he'd sign that waiver! :lol:

starman9000
03-15-12, 09:58 AM
It would be great if Orlando turns around and trades him away as his "rental" value skyrockets.

Goat3001
03-15-12, 10:01 AM

Yeah but it also gives them a whole offseason to make the team better. Do the Magic have the cap room to make a play for Williams?

starman9000
03-15-12, 10:01 AM
6ers get Sam Young from the Grizzlies for a 2nd rounder.

Mr. Cinema
03-15-12, 10:03 AM
Chris Broussard was on The Herd a few minutes ago and said the Lakers have a good shot at getting Beasley and Sessions. The Beasley deal is supposed to be finalized this morning, according to a Portland writer.

Goat3001
03-15-12, 10:04 AM
Wow, the Knicks DESTROYED Portland. Hard to judge anything from this game though because Portland was total garbage tonight.

Not exactly a statement game since the Blazers just didn't show up last night but beating any NBA team by 42 points is impressive. And you couldn't ask for a better way to start off. Now they should have some confidence in a tough back to back against the Pacers.

Decker
03-15-12, 10:11 AM
Chris Broussard was on The Herd a few minutes ago and said the Lakers have a good shot at getting Beasley and Sessions. The Beasley deal is supposed to be finalized this morning, according to a Portland writer.

If they get both, even at the expense of both their first round picks, I think it makes this team a legit contender for the Western Conference crown. Not that they'll be a shoo-in at all, but it gives them a decent shot to win the West -- something they don't have as of today.

starman9000
03-15-12, 10:11 AM
Speaking of the Pacers, they got Leandro Barbosa from the Raptors.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/

wildcatlh
03-15-12, 10:35 AM
6ers get Sam Young from the Grizzlies for a 2nd rounder.

Specifically the trade was for Ricky Sanchez, who was their second rounder 5 years ago and will probably never play in the NBA. No future picks involved. So really a nothing trade.

starman9000
03-15-12, 10:44 AM
Yeah, i just saw the update too.

Mr. Cinema
03-15-12, 10:46 AM
If they get both, even at the expense of both their first round picks, I think it makes this team a legit contender for the Western Conference crown. Not that they'll be a shoo-in at all, but it gives them a decent shot to win the West -- something they don't have as of today.
It would provide a nice boost to the roster. They're playing pretty well lately and Beasley would give a much needed scoring spark off the bench. I think Artest stays in the starting lineup. He's also been playing much better lately.

If they do add Sessions, I expect him as well to come off the bench, but Fisher's minutes should drop some, I hope.

starman9000
03-15-12, 11:18 AM
If they do add Beasley, I can pretty much guarantee he'll score at least 30 on Friday against the Wolves.

fujishig
03-15-12, 12:25 PM
$$$ The Lakers are on a tight budget for some reason.

Everyone's on a tight budget, looking forward two years to when the new rules are fully in place. Adding Beasley for nothing would pretty much have them paying double his salary due to the luxury tax, and the rumor was that they didn't want to spend 18 mil a year (or whatever) on him.

fujishig
03-15-12, 12:27 PM
Gerald Wallace to the Nets. I guess they're moving on from the Howard talks? Anyone see an analysis from a cap perspective on the deal? And I'm a bit surprised that Portland didn't want Farmar considering their PG rotation.

Mr. Cinema
03-15-12, 12:53 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers have reached a deal to trade for point guard Ramon Sessions from the Cleveland Cavaliers, according to league sources.

The Lakers will send the Cavs their 2012 first-round pick and will also get the rights to swap picks next year with the Miami Heat's first round draft pick, which the Cavs' own. The Lakers will absorb Sessions with the $8.9 million trade exception they received from the Dallas Mavericks for Lamar Odom.

Larry C.
03-15-12, 12:53 PM
Gerald Wallace to the Nets. I guess they're moving on from the Howard talks? Anyone see an analysis from a cap perspective on the deal? And I'm a bit surprised that Portland didn't want Farmar considering their PG rotation.

Because Howard opted in for the rest of this year and next year.

Decker
03-15-12, 12:55 PM
Per that HoopsRumors site, the Lakers traded Luke Walton in the deal so they keep their trade exemption. Trade Exemption >> Luke Walton.

DJariya
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/antoine-walker-d-league-comeback-isn-t-going-201007150.html

A new Antoine Walker update just surfaced. Playing for the Idaho Stampede in the NBDL. Making roughly $25K, has no car, is about 40 pounds overweight, and living off cold cuts and fast food. Averages about 25 pts/game, but shooting under 40%.

Has Real Sports on HBO ever done a profile on Walker? I would love to see them to a piece on how this guy's career went down the shitter.

Mr. Cinema
Bucher is reporting a trade discussion of Richard Jefferson for Stephen Jackson.

Mr. Cinema
03-15-12, 12:57 PM
Love this tweet from Larry Coon: In other "what were they thinking" news, Luke Walton now receives a $594K trade bonus check from the Cavs.

DJariya
03-15-12, 01:02 PM
:thumbsup: to the Lakers getting Sessions and dumping Luke Walton and his sorry ass.

Does that automatically make Sessions the starter over Fish?

Mr. Cinema
03-15-12, 01:04 PM
:thumbsup: to the Lakers getting Sessions and dumping Luke Walton and his sorry ass.

Does that automatically make Sessions the starter over Fish?
I have a feeling Fisher will stay in the starting lineup.

Does anyone remember Walton's contract? And why he actually got an extension?

Now that Sessions is in town, will they flip Steve Blake for something?

fumanstan
03-15-12, 01:08 PM

Luke is due 5.8 mil next year, and thats it. I believe he signed a 5 year deal a little while ago, in the post Shaq era when the Lakers had nothing.

Mr. Cinema
03-15-12, 01:10 PM
Luke is due 5.8 mil next year, and thats it. I believe he signed a 5 year deal a little while ago, in the post Shaq era when the Lakers had nothing.
I originally thought it was a lifetime contract. Glad to see it does actually end.

Sessions has a $4.5 million player option next season.

Mr. Cinema
03-15-12, 01:17 PM
Lakers were previously working on a trade to get D.J. Augustine.

Just read this tweet from NBA writer: Lakers "closing in" on trade for Michael Beasley, according to Western Conference GM.

Mr. Cinema
03-15-12, 01:25 PM
Looks like Richard Jefferson for Stephen Jackson is a done deal. Also, Blazers send Marcus Camby to the Rockets.

sleepyhead55
03-15-12, 01:34 PM
Looks like Richard Jefferson for Stephen Jackson is a done deal. Also, Blazers send Marcus Camby to the Rockets.

The Spurs have been trying to trade Jefferson for the past year and a half. Glad they finally found a taker. I still think Jefferson is overpaid but he'll probably flourish more in the open court style of GS than SA where he was basically a spot up 3 point shooter.

Blazers are just tearing it down and rebuilding around Aldridge and Batum.

Decker
03-15-12, 01:37 PM
Rockets get Camby from the Blazers for Johnny Flynn and Hasheem Thabeet (aka two cautionary tales from recent NBA drafts). That's a nice pick up for Houston.

DJariya
03-15-12, 01:40 PM

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

According to this, Luke is signed through next season and will be paid $6.1M next season.

Sessions has a player option for next season at $4.5M

Mr. Cinema
03-15-12, 01:40 PM
I know Luke Walton is useless, but I think Thabeet tops him.

sleepyhead55
03-15-12, 01:42 PM
Oh definitely, even Michael Olowakandi was better than Thabeet.

starman9000
03-15-12, 01:43 PM
Jason Kapono was also included by the Lakers for Sessions.

Mr. Cinema
03-15-12, 01:48 PM
I see a trend in Laker land. They're trading all of their white guys. :lol:

Mr. Cinema
03-15-12, 01:50 PM
Uh oh. Now latest news is the Beasley deal is "dying". And the 3pm deadline can be extended if teams are close to a deal.

fumanstan
03-15-12, 01:54 PM
I see a trend in Laker land. They're trading all of their white guys. :lol:

McRoberts and Blake should be wary.

Mr. Cinema
03-15-12, 01:59 PM
If Beasley does get traded to the Lakers, I wonder what number he would get? Currently, he wears #8 for the Wolves.

devilshalo
03-15-12, 02:04 PM
Sorry to see Kapono go, but Lakers never used him correctly in the few games he played.

starman9000
03-15-12, 02:04 PM
He was #30 at K State and Miami.

starman9000
03-15-12, 02:05 PM
Derek Fischer and a 1st rounder to the Rockets for Jordan Hill.

Decker
03-15-12, 02:06 PM
Seems unlikely now we'll get Beasley, which sucks since it was supposed to be a done deal. Of course we Laker fans have heard that before.

The Lakers Blog Kamenetzky brothers on ESPN LOVE the trade for Sessions:

ESPN.com's Brian Windhorst reports the Lakers have acquired point guard Ramon Sessions from the Cavs in exchange for their first round pick in 2012. The Lakers will also receive second year wing player Christian Eyenga, and in addition to the pick will send out Luke Walton and his Everlasting Gobstopper contract to Cleveland.

This, people, is a very, very good deal, for the following reasons:

Sessions is a major upgrade for the Lakers at point guard. He's averaging 10.5 points and 5.2 assists per game in only 24.5 minutes. To this point in the season, L.A.'s PG's have averaged 12 points a game as a group, the lowest figure in the NBA. Needless to say this sort of production makes a huge difference. More importantly, he has a skill set badly needed by the Lakers, namely an ability to run the pick and roll, penetrate from the wing, and finish from the basket. Derek Fisher and Steve Blake average about one shot a game at the rim between the two of them. Even when they're in the paint, they're not a threat to score. Sessions absolutely is, which will change the way defenses have to address Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol down low.
The Lakers preserved their trade exception. Meaning whether now or down the line, the can find a player (or players) able to upgrade the roster at other positions. They also retain another pick in this year's draft, which they can either use or flip as needed. Moreover, by moving Walton, they're able to absorb Sessions' salary this year and next, should he decide to pick up his $4.5 million player option.
They've taken pressure off Kobe Bryant. By having another player on the floor who can reliably direct the offense, distribute to the bigs, and is a threat to score, Mike Brown and Co. will have much more freedom to move him away from the ball, creating better and more efficient shot opportunities. Meanwhile, you can still run the Bryant/Gasol/Bynum pick-and-roll sets that have been so effective for the Lakers this season.

Questionable outside shooting (until this season, at least) and an underwhelming defensive profile mean Sessions isn't an elite level point guard. If he was, a first round pick and Luke Walton wouldn't have brought him here. Except the Lakers don't need that. On a per minute basis, Sessions has always been a very productive player, and even if he's merely league-average he will elevate the rotation in tangible ways.

There are a few potential issues. If the Lakers end the day with both Blake and Fisher still on the roster, Brown will have to figure out how to work his rotation. From a pure basketball standpoint, Sessions would receive the bulk of the minutes backed up by Blake, and Fisher would pile up DNP's more nights than not. On the Lakers, that presents a few political problems that could impact the team dynamic. But this is the sort of thing that can be worked out. Brown will also have to get Sessions up to speed defensively very quickly. Again, that's something that can be done.

The bottom line is this: The Lakers, without giving up any truly significant assets and retaining the significant advantage provided by two immensely skilled seven footers inside have improved themselves at their greatest weak spot. If Sessions performs as expected, he pushes them very near the top of the Western Conference. Are they better than Oklahoma City? I'd still say no . . . but they're a lot closer, and have given themselves a legitimate chance to make a run this postseason.

Well played.

DJariya
03-15-12, 02:08 PM
I guess Sessions is officially the new Lakers starting PG.

Fish was a really good guy and made alot of great contributions to the Lakers in their championship heyday, but it was time for him to go. Surprised Houston is taking him.

sleepyhead55
03-15-12, 02:09 PM
I think they're trading for the 1st round pick which was acquired in the Lamar Odom trade.

starman9000
03-15-12, 02:10 PM
I'd have taken him too, with that first round pick included.

Decker
03-15-12, 02:10 PM
Derek Fischer and a 1st rounder to the Rockets for Jordan Hill.

Wow. Guess Sessions does start. I bet Fish thought he and Kobe were the only Lakers players who were safe. Guess not.

Don't know much about Hill since he left Arizona. Seems to be averaging 5.0 PPG. Would have much rather gotten Beasley obviously, but there wasn't room for Fish, Blake and Sessions, so maybe this was a deal out of necessity. Kobe's gonna be pissed though.

Mr. Cinema
03-15-12, 02:14 PM
I am stunned that Fisher was traded, and I bet Kobe won't be too happy either. Probably will make him hate Jim Buss even more.

starman9000
03-15-12, 02:18 PM
I wonder how long before we start hearing stories about how Kahn is hard to work with and killed any chance of the Wolves improving.

DJariya
03-15-12, 02:35 PM
Clippers just got Nick Young from the Wizards

Decker
03-15-12, 02:43 PM
ESPN radio is saying Wizards trade away Javail Mcghee and acquire Nene. That's a major coup for them. That sceams of Denver having buyer's remorse.

DJariya
03-15-12, 02:46 PM
Blazers just canned Nate McMillan as head coach

dsa_shea
03-15-12, 03:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/antoine-walker-d-league-comeback-isn-t-going-201007150.html

A new Antoine Walker update just surfaced. Playing for the Idaho Stampede in the NBDL. Making roughly $25K, has no car, is about 40 pounds overweight, and living off cold cuts and fast food. Averages about 25 pts/game, but shooting under 40%.

Has Real Sports on HBO ever done a profile on Walker? I would love to see them to a piece on how this guy's career went down the shitter.

I watched one of their games just the other day and it looks like he and Michael Sweetney have been hanging out a bit too often.

mcnabb
03-15-12, 03:30 PM
The guys on NBA Network were making fun of Dwight Howard and his constant flip-flopping on whether he was staying with the Magic or not: Lebron had 'The Decision' and now Dwight Howard is having 'The In-Decision.'

Decker
03-15-12, 03:31 PM
Here's the Laker Blog analysis of the Fisher trade:
Wow. Didn't see this one coming.

The Lakers have traded Derek Fisher to Houston for forward Jordan Hill. In addition, they will send the pick acquired from Dallas in the Lamar Odom deal to the Rockets. The eighth pick in the '09 draft, Hill is an athletic 4/5 who can finish on the break, rebound, and block shots, but doesn't create his own offense or stretch the floor. He's a young asset for sure and in his third season has had some strong moments in the league. How he fits into the rotation is an open question, though he certainly could see minutes backing up both Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum and could prove a handy fellow to have around.

But he's not the news, here.

Derek Fisher hasn't been productive for a while now, and with the acquisition of Ramon Sessions becomes completely superfluous, and even a potential political problem in the Lakers locker room. L.A.'s ideal rotation at the point would have Sessions playing starters minutes with Steve Blake backing him up. That would leave Fisher on the bench, a place where he (understandably) wouldn't be happy. It would be a horrible setup, very difficult for Mike Brown to manage effectively. In the cold business of the NBA, you trade guys who can't help you but still cost money now and down the line, and that's what this is. The Lakers have no obligation to Hill next season, but would have owed Fisher over three million.

It's something that probably had to happen, but nonetheless feels strange.

On the court, frankly the Lakers lose very little losing Fisher. The transition comes is in the locker room. Beyond being Kobe Bryant's most trusted ally, Fisher was the ballast to Kobe incredibly strong personality. With Fisher gone, it will be interesting to see how Kobe changes his leadership style to accommodate the change, and who steps up into the leadership void. The natural candidate is Gasol, who moves up a rung on the locker room ladder. How this impacts their dynamic will be something interesting to watch.

The bottom line is the Lakers, on a day where they have improved themselves significantly on the floor, also have set themselves up for a major adjustment off it.

And for Non-Insiders, here's a cut-and-paste of the Hollinger's Trade Report Cards for the deals today (I'll update when the Fisher trade and Nene trade get posted):

Hollinger's grades: Deadline deals
Originally Published: March 15, 2012
By John Hollinger | ESPN.com

March 15: Sessions headed to the Lakers

Lakers trade Luke Walton and 2012 first-rounder to Cleveland for Ramon Sessions and Christian Eyenga.

Cleveland: D

If Dan Gilbert is paying attention, he should ask David Stern to void this trade for "basketball reasons."

First, let's follow the dead money. Walton makes $6.1 million next year with his trade kicker; Eyenga makes $1.1 million; neither or them are likely to play much or do anything of consequence if they do. So Cleveland swallows $5 million in dead 2012-13 salary.

For the privilege, they get a first-round pick from L.A. that will likely be in the 20s. The interesting part here is that when teams have done cash-for-late-first-rounder deals, they've typically valued the pick in the $3-4 million range. At best, the Cavs slightly overpaid on this part of the equation.

But wait, they also gave up a really good point guard! The Lakers essentially got Sessions for free; it was a fair deal just to give them a first-rounder to take Walton off their hands.

And there's more, although it's of lesser value. The Cavs also sent L.A. the right to swap first-round picks with Miami in 2013; the Cavs currently own the Heat's pick that year.

L.A. Lakers: A-

The only reason I put a "minus" here is my one misgiving about Sessions' fit into the Lakers' offense. He's a slashing, pick-and-roll point guard who needs the ball in his hands; spacing the floor for Kobe isn't really his thing. He'll likely be at his best when Bryant is off the floor, as the catalyst for the second unit.

With that said, Sessions is such a huge upgrade on the Lakers' current point guard mess it's not even funny, and it will likely take much of the strain off their three stars to play 40 minutes a game and take all the shots.

Defensively, he's kind of a sieve, and so he won't cure the vulnerability to quick point guards that has bedeviled the Lakers for years. But he's a good rebounder and, again, his ability to create off the dribble gives them a dimension that was badly lacking.

Sessions is also a free agent after the season, potentially; he has an opt-out in his contract. The nice thing about being the Lakers, however, is that nobody is a flight risk. If the Lakers want to keep him, they almost certainly can.

March 15: Grizzlies trade Sam Young to Philadelphia

Grizzlies trade Sam Young to Philadelphia for rights to Ricky Sanchez.

Memphis: C-

While championship fortunes do not hinge on the likes of Sam Young, the Grizzlies wouldn't have had to give him away if they had just planned their cap a bit better. Instead, they were $612,101 over the line and had to dump Young on the Sixers to get under it. Young wasn't playing and wasn't really happy about it, so I don't want to oversell the impact, but he still had some value for depth purposes. The rights to Sanchez are worthless and included only because the league mandates both sides must give up something in a trade; this was a straight salary dump.

Philadelphia: B+

A free player! You can't argue with that. Philly used its trade exception from its earlier deal for Marreese Speights to get Young and cement its wing depth. He's not a great fit because he's a poor long-range shooter, plus his physical, one-on-one style doesn't mesh well with Philly's pass-cut-jumper, don't-ever-turn-it-over approach. Still, it's tough to beat free, and he's a restricted free agent who could have some sign-and-trade value this summer.
March 15: Raptors trade Leandro Barbosa to Indiana

Raptors trade Leandro Barbosa and Anthony Carter to Indiana for a second-round pick.
Indiana: B

I'm not crazy about Barbosa in Indy, because he's another blind gunner on a team that already has too many of them. But I can see the logic here, too. It's another beggars-can't-be-choosers deal, as the Pacers basically use their cap space to get a free player. In fact, Indiana was below the league minimum and was either going to be paying Barbosa or giving the money to all the other players on the roster to make up the difference.

He'll upgrade their backup shooting guard spot too, as Lance Stephenson has been a failure and Dahntay Jones up and down. He's an expiring deal and I'll be shocked if Indy keeps him beyond this season, but as a rental shooting guard, this was about as good as they could hope for.

Toronto: B

You knew Barbosa wasn't long for Toronto when it used Gary Forbes as the backup point guard against Cleveland two nights ago. The Raps unload their financial obligation for the rest of this season, open more minutes for the likes of Forbes and Jerryd Bayless in the backcourt, and can start seeing how everyone meshes with the recently returned Andrea Bargnani heading into this summer. We don't know the details on the pick but at best it will be in the 50 range, so that part has limited value at best.

March 15: Wallace coming to New Jersey

Nets trade Shawne Williams, Mehmet Okur and a first-round pick to New Jersey for Gerald Wallace.

Portland: A

The Blazers are flailing, but this was absolutely the right move for them -- a means to a quickie rebuilding project that can have them back in the West's upper crust while LaMarcus Aldridge is still in his prime. Or so they hope.

The top-3 protected draft choice from the Nets is the key. It's likely to fall in the 6-to-10 range, giving the Blazers a shot at a high lottery pick.

There are two other angles here. First, they are assured that Wallace won't opt in for $9.5 million next year and screw up their cap situation; instead they're locked into $3.1 for Williams and roughly $2.5 for the first-round pick. If they also deal Jamal Crawford (or if he opts out, which seems likely), they'll be $25 million under the cap next summer, which means they have the wherewithal to re-sign Nicolas Batum and plunge into the free-agent market.

Second, while Williams was useless in New Jersey as a 3, he's had some success as a 4 off the bench. That could be his role in Portland, since Wallace had effectively taken over as the backup power forward. Alternatively, the trade could open playing time for Luke Babbitt -- who has played well in recent garbage-time stints -- or the scandalously underutilized Craig Smith.

Finally, this clears up a perimeter jumble for Portland. Batum gets to start at the 3, his natural position, and if Crawford goes it appears Wes Matthews and Elliot Williams can share the shooting guard spot.

New Jersey: D+

The Nets made a reckless gamble at the trade deadline for the second year in a row; last year it was Williams, this year it's trading a lottery pick for Wallace.

I put a "+" on their D for one reason: Wallace was one of the players Orlando coveted in earlier Dwight Howard trade scenarios, which means the Nets maintain a stockpile of players that could be converted into Howard on draft day or early this summer.

If Wallace stays, that is, which is by no means certain. He can opt out after the season and become an unrestricted free agent, although New Jersey may wiggle an extension in front of him and see if he bites. I'm not sure that's a great outcome either, though, since Wallace turns 30 in July and is visibly less athletic than in his Charlotte days.

So basically, the Nets gave up a lottery pick for a mid-tier starter who can leave as a free agent. If he stays New Jersey is still in pretty good shape cap-wise; the Nets would have enough cap room to re-sign Kris Humphries and Brook Lopez and could go after a big-time free agent even if Deron Williams leaves.

And one can see what they're trying to do, at least: sell Williams on a starting five with MarShon Brooks, Wallace, Humpries and Lopez, with Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmar and Gerald Green off the bench. That's a pretty good team, right? But I'm not sure "pretty good" is enough of a lure when the siren song of a Dallas homecoming is calling.

March 15: Camby on the way to Houston

Blazers send Marcus Camby to Houston for Hasheem Thabeet, Jonny Flynn and Minnesota's second-round pick.

Portland: B-

It makes sense for Portland to start moving players it won't have after this season, and they get a free look at Thabeet and Flynn to see if they can be a part of the solution going forward. Alas, watching Flynn for any length of time may give Blazers fans a new appreciation for Raymond Felton.

Trading Camby also may force Portland to stumble into a much better arrangement: Playing LaMarcus Aldridge at center. They can use Craig Smith, Luke Babbitt and recently acquired Shawne Williams at the 4, space the floor, and perhaps rediscover some of the vibrancy they showed earlier this season.

Houston: B+

It's not deadline day until Daryl Morey makes a deal involving a second-round pick. In this one, the Rockets used their expiring contracts to get a better player who is also on an expiring contract; this barely affects their long-term strategy at all but it does give them a leg up in their playoff push. Expect Camby to take minutes as the backup center, and in the big picture he provides more quality size for a team that could really use some.

March 15: Jackson for Jefferson swap

Warriors send Stephen Jackson to San Antonio for Richard Jefferson and a first-round pick.

Golden State: D+

Golden State gets the better player in Jefferson, and he may help them with their playoff run. But wait, aren't they trying to tank? Wasn't that half the reason for the Monta Ellis trade? My brain hurts.

At any rate, this is a bad trade for completely different reasons -- Jefferson has one more year left than Jackson, one in which he makes $11 million. Having already taken themselves out of the free-agent race in 2012 with the original trade for Jackson two days ago, the Warriors now have punted on 2013 by taking on Jefferson; add an extension in the $10 million range for Stephen Curry and they're capped out with Curry, Jefferson, David Lee, Andris Biedrins and Andrew Bogut, and they've already used their amnesty.

By 2013-14 the Warriors are likely to be swashbuckling with the luxury tax, and that will be a much more punitive monster that season than it is now. All this might make sense if they were locking in a championship contender, but they've basically committed long-term to a fairly uninspiring nucleus. The absolute best-case scenario is that they're the West Coast Atlanta Hawks.

They also got a first-rounder from San Antonio, but it will be a very late one in all likelihood. Plus, nobody pays $11 million for first-round picks. Well, except Cleveland I guess.

San Antonio: B

It's an odd trade for a team in the championship race to make, since Jefferson-for-Jacko is a slight downgrade at this point in their respective careers. But the long-term savings were simply too good to pass up; San Antonio now has massive cap flexibility in the summer of 2013.

Additionally, one can argue it made a potentially difficult move much easier. The Spurs were likely going to have to bench Jefferson, who has started all 41 games but has by far the worst PER of San Antonio's 10 rotation players. With Kawhi Leonard playing well and Manu Ginobili likely to return soon, they sidestep a potentially sticky problem and can bring Jackson off the bench in a more limited role.

fumanstan
03-15-12, 03:33 PM
The guys on NBA Network were making fun of Dwight Howard and his constant flip-flopping on whether he was staying with the Magic or not: Lebron had 'The Decision' and now Dwight Howard is having 'The In-Decision.'

I wonder how Magic fans are reacting. Should they be happy that he's fully committed for at least this year and would like him to stay hoping the Magic can do something in the offseason? Or just sick of it and having to deal with the same crap when the season ends?

He's still not nearly as hated as Lebron though :)

sleepyhead55
03-15-12, 03:35 PM
The Wizards made out pretty good in the trade. Trading two potential free agents for Nene . Clips got another scorer (albeit a high volume shooter). Nuggets save salary space I guess.

starman9000
03-15-12, 03:37 PM
Blazers just canned Nate McMillan as head coach

something had to give when they couldnt dump Crawford and Felton I guess.

sleepyhead55
03-15-12, 03:40 PM
Man there's another stupid Blazer move. Trading Andre Miller for Raymond Felton during the off season.

WallyOPD
03-15-12, 05:14 PM
Nets trade Shawne Williams, Mehmet Okur and a first-round pick to New Jersey for Gerald Wallace.

That's an interesting accomplishment.

fumanstan
03-15-12, 05:27 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7692811/source-portland-trail-blazers-waive-former-no-1-overall-pick-greg-oden

Oden waived.

Decker
03-15-12, 05:29 PM
Blazers waive Greg Oden to make roster space. Think they'd like a Do-over of the 2007 draft?

Here's the Hollinger Insider analysis of the Nene trade. I'm really surprised that he liked it for Denver more than Washington. I thought it was a no-brainer that the Wizards got the better end of the deal.

March 15: Clippers, Nuggets and Wizards strike a deal

Nuggets have agreed to trade Nene to the Wizards in exchange for JaVale McGee and Ronny Turiaf. The Clippers, acting as a facilitator, agreed to send Brian Cook and a future second-round pick to the Wizards in exchange for shooting guard Nick Young.

Denver: B

McGee has become a YouTube sensation for all the wrong reasons, making a colossal mental error at least once a game. I may need to move to Denver just to watch George Karl's reaction to coaching him.

And yet I like this. I know how weird this looks, but hear me out. The Nuggets had buyer's remorse on Nene from almost the day the contract was signed, as he's been unwilling to play through minor injuries and his on-court performance has slipped. I had heard the same reports others have that the Nuggets offered him to Sacramento for DeMarcus Cousins in the opening weeks of the season; in fact I was told it was the first call the Kings got after the Cousins-Westphal brouhaha.

Nene is 29 years old and relies heavily on his athleticism, and at $13 million a year for each of the four years after this one makes him a major risk, especially since the Nuggets have a lot of other young, talented players who will need to be paid over the next three years.

McGee, on the other hand, is 24 years old and hugely productive. He's Nene's equal as a finisher and scorer, and a much better rebounder and shot-blocker. He makes dramatically less than Nene right now, and while that gap will close this summer, the chill of restricted free agency should still allow the Nuggets to keep him for much less than the four years, $52 million owed Nene.

Additionally, the Nuggets will get a huge trade exception out of this. If my cap math is right, they can slot both Turiaf and McGee just inside the $7 million exception left over from the Raymond Felton deal (seriously, how giddy must the Nuggets be about that trade?), and thus can do a straight deal of Nene into a $13 million exception.

Basically, they amnestied Nene and got players back.

So while I'd rather have Nene than McGee today, I'm not sure that's true three years from now. And when you look at all the other cap management considerations, this is a nice deal for Denver.

Washington: C-

I get why they did it -- Washington didn't want to pay for McGee and had no interest at all in keeping Nick Young. That said, I can't help thinking this is the classic Ernie Grunfeld maneuver, making a deal as if his team is one player away from contending for the title regardless of where they actually stand. While this might not be quite as bad as going "all in" for Randy Foye and Mike Miller two years ago, the Wizards gained five years and considerable dollars at the center position, and it's not clear if they gained at all in the talent department.

Washington is still far enough below the cap that the dollars may not matter much, particularly if they amnesty Rashard Lewis this summer. Nonetheless, I think they overreacted to McGee's agent's contract demands heading into this summer -- again, NBA teams have been amazingly slow to realize how much leverage they have in restricted free agency. They do at least get a high second-round pick belonging to the Hornets in return for Young, who was gone after the season otherwise.

L.A. Clippers: B+

There are a lot of things I don't like about Nick Young as a player -- he doesn't pass, he takes too many long 2s, and he doesn't try that hard on defense. But it's tough to argue with "free" as a price point, or in this case, virtually free. The Clippers only gave up Brian Cook's dead weight and a second-round draft pick, slotting Young just inside the trade exception they had from the Eric Gordon deal earlier this year.

Young waived his Bird Rights to agree to this deal, most likely because he's from L.A., and likely can take over as the starting shooting guard. His ability to space the floor and post up small 2s for mid-range jumpers gives the Clippers a weapon they've been missing since Chauncey Billups was lost for the year. They probably won't be able to bring him back, but this was probably the best rental move any team made on Thursday.

Still no score up for the Fisher trade.

DJariya
03-15-12, 05:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7692811/source-portland-trail-blazers-waive-former-no-1-overall-pick-greg-oden

Oden waived.

And his NBA career officially comes to an end. Pretty sad. I hope he will bounce back and do something productive with his life after this.

fujishig
03-15-12, 05:45 PM
And his NBA career officially comes to an end. Pretty sad. I hope he will bounce back and do something productive with his life after this.

The only thing left is for Roy to make a comeback and Oden to sign with someone else and have at least one of them win a championship... :)

I wonder if Stern is going to keep a close eye on Golden State, since it looks like they'll start tanking to protect that pick from going to Utah next year.

Goat3001
03-15-12, 05:58 PM
That's an interesting accomplishment.

In mother Russia, teams trade with themselves.

Arpeggi
03-15-12, 07:22 PM
Woohoo Fisher gone!

fujishig
03-15-12, 07:48 PM
Woohoo Fisher gone!

I thought you would be more excited about Walton being gone...

Arpeggi
03-15-12, 08:11 PM
Unlike Fisher, Walton wasn't playing so he wasn't costing us games. I'm really excited about both leaving though. Return to glory.

Mr. Cinema
03-15-12, 08:16 PM
Happy the Lakers got Sessions, but really wished they could have landed Beasley. The 2nd unit is still really weak.

Didn't realize Jordan Hill was the #8 pick a few years ago. He'll at least provide some up front depth. I'm glad Fisher was traded. He was not giving the Lakers anything on offense or defense. Purely dead weight.

hahn
03-15-12, 08:35 PM
The Blazers. Whoa. Whoa. WHOA.

They probably needed the reset but I liked Nate McMillan. :( Wish they would have dumped Crawford and Felton instead.

Man, every team I like or grow to like sucks.

nickdawgy
03-15-12, 08:40 PM
Unlike Fisher, Walton wasn't playing so he wasn't costing us games. I'm really excited about both leaving though. Return to glory.

Fisher won alot of games for the Lakers. Don't forget that.

Sure, if he wasn't the starter they might have gone <s>82</s> 66-0!!!!!!!!!

nickdawgy
03-15-12, 08:41 PM
Happy the Lakers got Sessions, but really wished they could have landed Beasley. The 2nd unit is still really weak.

Didn't realize Jordan Hill was the #8 pick a few years ago. He'll at least provide some up front depth. I'm glad Fisher was traded. He was not giving the Lakers anything on offense or defense. Purely dead weight.

I keep reading that as Jonah Hill :lol:

Arpeggi
03-15-12, 10:37 PM
Fisher won alot of games for the Lakers. Don't forget that.

By that logic, let's sign Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul Jabbar, they won tons of games too.

hahn
03-15-12, 10:41 PM
By that logic, let's sign Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul Jabbar, they won tons of games too.
Magic Johnson for Fisher? That would actually be tempting. :p

davidh777
03-15-12, 11:57 PM
Surprised by the McMillan move. Seems like it'd be hard to win with the talent they've lost.

hahn
03-16-12, 12:33 AM
Surprised by the McMillan move. Seems like it'd be hard to win with the talent they've lost.I don't think the intention is to win. In fact, I suspect the aim is to place as low as possible to increase their odds of getting a top 3 pick. Since they also got a first round pick from the Nets, I'd imagine that Allen wants to start over with a fresh young team. Hopefully the intent is to build around Aldridge and Batum.

I can't figure out the purpose of Camby going to Houston though unless there was some sort of political thing going on and they just simply wanted to be rid of him.

Decker
03-16-12, 10:10 AM
I've been a Bill Plaschke fan since I began reading him in the LA Times some twenty years ago. Never have I seen him more out of touch than today's article where he laments the trade of D Fish like it's the end of the franchise. Seriously, the guys at the Indianapolis Star didn't write this way about the Colts cutting Peyton Manning. Sure Fish was a great guy and a born leader, but it's also worth noting he was the worst starting point guard in the league -- by a large margin.
Anyway, here (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-plaschke-lakers-20120316,0,4601319.column)'s the article:
latimes.com

BILL PLASCHKE

Lakers miss the point in trading Derek Fisher

Fisher has lost more than a step on the court, but he was one of the Lakers' leaders in the clubhouse and a buffer between Kobe Bryant and the rest of the team.

Bill Plaschke

7:25 PM PDT, March 15, 2012

Responding to the pleas for a blockbuster trade, the Lakers answered their critics Thursday with a whopper.

They traded their soul.

The Lakers traded Derek Fisher, and if you are having trouble swallowing those five words, say them in point-four seconds and you'll really choke on it.

The Lakers traded Derek Fisher, and it feels so wrong, it feels so cheap, and I don't care if he was aging, and slowing, and sliding toward the end of the bench.

He was still Derek Fisher. He was still the guy who could turn final seconds into lasting memories. He was still the coolest guy on the floor and the smartest guy in the room.

He wasn't just the Lakers point guard, he was their conscience, the only guy who ever stole a sideline huddle from Phil Jackson, the only player who others respected enough to treat like a coach.

He wasn't just Kobe Bryant's keeper, he was his buffer, constantly stepping between the Manic Mamba and misunderstandings with the rest of the team, protecting new guys from Bryant's wrath, protecting Bryant from himself.

He was still Derek Fisher, still capable of making plays like the one in late December against the Denver Nuggets. He missed a potential go-ahead three-point shot in the final two minutes and then raced across the floor and dove between two Nuggets and came up with the loose ball.

The Lakers eventually won that game, and afterward I thanked him for allowing us to experience, however briefly, what it was like to watch an old-school Laker.

"We have to make sure nobody forgets, right?" he said with a grin.

With five championship rings, he equaled Bryant and Magic Johnson. With 13 Lakers seasons, he played here one year longer than James Worthy and only one year shorter than Jerry West.

More than anyone, even Bryant, in this current organization, Fisher was the calm connection between the uncertain Lakers present and the championship Lakers past. Fisher ran the locker room. Fisher ran the bench. Fisher called the team meetings. Fisher ended the team meetings. Even when his sprint had slowed to a jog, Fisher was the quiet caretaker of the Lakers culture.

The Lakers traded Derek Fisher, and for what?

Officially, he was traded to the Houston Rockets for Jordan Hill, an awkward big man who, despite being a lottery pick three years ago, has been unable to stay on the floor more than 15 minutes a game this season.

Unofficially, Fisher was traded because the Lakers no longer wanted to worry about his future salary $3.4 million guaranteed next season or his future attitude.

The money dump is obvious. It's the same thing that Jim Buss did to Lamar Odom. For the first time ever, the Lakers are clearly being guided by economics, one of the greatest franchises in sports suddenly reduced to tripping over relative pennies.

It's the attitude dump that is strange. It turns out, many feared that with the acquisition Thursday of decent Cleveland point guard Ramon Sessions, Fisher would balk at his new place at the end of the bench. His new job would be as a third-stringer behind Sessions and Steve Blake.

There were worries that Fisher would use his command presence to cause quiet chaos. Some felt he could make things uncomfortable for everyone, particularly Coach Mike Brown, by using the same sort of political savvy that helped him serve as the union boss during the recent lockout.

Certainly, any time a local legend is benched, those are legitimate worries. But at this advanced stage of his career, Fisher was more accepting of his eventual fate. He repeatedly told me that he knew his diminished minutes were coming, and that he would accept the demotion if it would help the team.

"Where I'm at in my life, it's about more than minutes for me," he once said. "It's about still having an impact on this team."

At 37, Fisher just wanted to be part of the Lakers as long as they would have him, and then retire in the city where he began as a rookie in the same summer of 1996 that also featured the arrival of Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal.

He wouldn't have caused trouble, unless it was for the opposing team in the final seconds, like with the three-pointer he sank to beat the Dallas Mavericks two months ago.

He wouldn't have brought dramatics, unless it was the playoffs and he was hitting that point-four shot against San Antonio or pulling off a coast-to-coast drive against Boston.

He could have remained here for the rest of the season just being Derek Fisher, and then the Lakers could have worked out some sort of buyout and allowed him to retire with dignity, retire as a Laker.

Maybe Fisher will simply retire now, sadly in some Westside hotel ballroom, sadly on his own. Or maybe he'll embrace this trade as a chance to mentor young and rising players as he once did here.

Houston obviously thinks he is still worth something. It's breathtaking to realize that the Lakers don't.

And for a different viewpoint, here's the Insider article John Hollinger wrote about the Lakers' deals yesterday. He thinks it makes them instantly into condenders.

Thursday, March 15, 2012
Updated: March 16, 7:53 AM ET
Lakers now a threat out West--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By John Hollinger
ESPN.com

Soooo ... now what do we think of the Los Angeles Lakers?

Calling them the "new look" Lakers might be a bit much -- this is still the outfit led by Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol, and the other guys are still mostly filler.

But with two trades on Thursday, L.A. dramatically altered both its present and its near future, while once again shipping out more money than it took back.

At least this time it was about more than just money; the Lakers got back two players who are going to help them more than a lot of people realize. More on that in a minute.

First, though, the Lakers are once again cutting dollars. They didn't use their $8 million trade exception from the Lamar Odom deal; instead, they used both of their first-round draft picks this June to pay other teams to take unproductive secondary players. One went to the Rockets to pay them to take Derek Fisher, owed $3.4 million after this season, and one went to the Cavaliers so they would take Luke Walton, owed $6.1 million next season when you factor in his trade kicker. The latter figure was partially offset by the returning salary of Christian Eyenga from Cleveland, owed $1.1 million, but there was still a net savings of $5 million in deadweight money.

And remember, those savings double because the Lakers are deep into the luxury tax. So unloading Fisher and Walton realizes an actual savings of $16.8 million next season.

(Since I'm writing about the Fisher deal at length here instead of my usual grades file (Click here for more grades), let me note that Houston gets a nice solid B-plus for landing a short-term backup point guard and purchasing a first-round draft pick in 2014 for $3.4 million. And let us also note the night-and-day difference in valuations on first-round picks today. Golden State and Cleveland paid an effective price of nearly $10 million for theirs, which is why I graded each of them so harshly.)

The crazy part is that L.A. actually got usable players in these deals. The Lakers would have gladly given away the first-rounders just to get rid of Walton's contract, but getting players back in the deals significantly improves their prospects. From Houston, the Lakers get Jordan Hill, a serviceable backup big man who can run the floor, rebound, block shots and generally be a much better option off the bench than Troy Murphy or Josh McRoberts.

And from Cleveland, the Lakers get Ramon Sessions, a dynamic pick-and-roll point guard who provides a sizable upgrade on the pathetic Fisher-Steve Blake combination that the Lakers had been trotting out. Sessions has defensive shortcomings and can't space the floor well for the Lakers' three stars, but L.A. was so desperate for another dynamic offensive player to create easy shots that he'll still be a major shot in the arm.

This is where we get back to my BAD rating. BAD stands for "Below Average Dependency," and it's my tool for determining how big a chunk of a team's minutes is squandered on bad players.

The Lakers, despite owning the league's sixth-best record, lead the league in BAD. They are top-heavy in the extreme, with three All-Stars, one half-good reserve (Matt Barnes) and a roster full of replacement-level filler.

Some of the filler have big names -- Fisher and Metta World Peace, for instance -- but at this point in their careers they shouldn't be starting for good teams. In fact, they should hardly be playing at all.

And that explains why L.A. is third in the West, and not first, even though it has the best three-man core this side of Miami and Bryant, Bynum and Gasol haven't missed a single game because of injury.

In turn, that explains why getting players like Hill and Sessions -- who would do little for the bottom line of several teams -- is likely to make this club a lot stronger. Basically, the Lakers' secondary players were so bad that even replacing them with mediocre ones is going to dramatically improve the team.

I understand the sentiment in L.A. regarding Fisher's departure, and you wish it could have been handled more delicately. But in terms of the business side, this was a no-brainer. Fisher has a player efficiency rating (PER) of 9.01 and Blake's is 8.87; among point guards with at least 750 minutes, only Orlando's ridiculous Chris Duhon has been worse. Fisher barely scores half as often as he did in 2007-08, his first season back in L.A., and with a lower true shooting percentage and more turnovers. His 3-point shooting, his "specialty," has also fallen to 32.4 percent.

Replacing that dynamic duo with a point guard with a 16.44 PER provides a massive shot in the arm. Per minute Sessions averages nearly twice as many points and provides huge advantages in assists and rebounds too. There's no way this won't translate to the Lakers' win total, even if he is less productive in their system than he was in Cleveland.

Similarly, Hill isn't exactly going gangbusters -- he gets pushed around on defense pretty easily and he is often out of position. Big picture, he's something of a "4.5" who lacks the skill for a 4 or the beef to play 5.

But compared with Murphy, this guy will look like Bill Russell. Hill averages 13 points per 40 minutes, nearly double that of Murphy or McRoberts, and his 13 boards per 40 minutes is also an improvement of more than 50 percent. Playing off the ball, running and finishing -- he can do those things, and likely won't have a major adjustment coming to the Lakers.

So how big an improvement are we talking about? Well, factor in 30 minutes or so with a seven-point PER jump at the point, and another 20 minutes with a five-point jump for the third big man. Even if you water down Sessions' numbers because he doesn't fit perfectly in L.A.'s offense, it will still make a bigger impact than people realize.

Sum it up and the numbers say it's worth about six wins over an 82-game season -- a jump as big as one the Lakers would make by trading a halfway decent starter for an All-Star. That would have had us writing 3,000-word epics for days, but this more subtle move was what the Lakers' situation required. With a real backup big and a decent point guard joining their three studs, the Lakers can make a much more coherent case for being contenders.

They're not favorites, mind you, and they still are very fragile -- if one of the three stars goes down, forget it. But in a Western Conference where everybody save Oklahoma City has shown considerable warts, these moves make the Lakers a legitimate threat to reach the Finals. I'm not sure I could have said that with a straight face 24 hours ago.

dsa_shea
03-16-12, 07:48 PM
The Knicks are playing some good ball so far tonight. The only thing that has went wrong is that Baron hurt his leg.

Goat3001
03-16-12, 08:57 PM
Hopefully that Baron injury isn't too bad but those hamstrings can be pesky.

So this is how the Knicks look when they actually show up? Impressive.

dsa_shea
03-16-12, 09:06 PM
Nice win tonight for the Knicks over the Pacers. Now, get it done again tomorrow night and they'll be rolling.

hahn
03-16-12, 09:08 PM
Well, well, well...looks like the Knicks CAN play defense when they feel like it. Maybe Woodson is actually threatening to bench anyone who doesn't put in effort on D. Happy for them and hope it continues for the last stretch of the season.

hahn
03-16-12, 09:15 PM
Good game going on between Portland and Chicago as well. I'm shocked. With the loss of Camby and Wallace, I figured Portland was in for a thrashing worse than the one they got from New York.

Cool...Portland just closed it out. Now I just want the Suns to take out the Pistons and it'll be a pretty great night for me! Not sure the last time I saw all 3 of my fav teams win on the same night.

dsa_shea
03-16-12, 09:36 PM
Wow! Portland blasted the Bulls after getting thrashed by the Knicks! I sure wish the Knicks would have played tighter defense until the end and kept the Pacers under 90. However, it was still a quality win by a nice margin and I hope they can do it again tomorrow.

Arpeggi
03-16-12, 09:36 PM
I've been a Bill Plaschke fan since I began reading him in the LA Times some twenty years ago. Never have I seen him more out of touch than today's article where he laments the trade of D Fish like it's the end of the franchise. Seriously, the guys at the Indianapolis Star didn't write this way about the Colts cutting Peyton Manning. Sure Fish was a great guy and a born leader, but it's also worth noting he was the worst starting point guard in the league -- by a large margin.
Anyway, here (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-plaschke-lakers-20120316,0,4601319.column)'s the article:
latimes.com

BILL PLASCHKE

Lakers miss the point in trading Derek Fisher

Fisher has lost more than a step on the court, but he was one of the Lakers' leaders in the clubhouse and a buffer between Kobe Bryant and the rest of the team.

Bill Plaschke

7:25 PM PDT, March 15, 2012

Responding to the pleas for a blockbuster trade, the Lakers answered their critics Thursday with a whopper.

They traded their soul.

The Lakers traded Derek Fisher, and if you are having trouble swallowing those five words, say them in point-four seconds and you'll really choke on it.

The Lakers traded Derek Fisher, and it feels so wrong, it feels so cheap, and I don't care if he was aging, and slowing, and sliding toward the end of the bench.

He was still Derek Fisher. He was still the guy who could turn final seconds into lasting memories. He was still the coolest guy on the floor and the smartest guy in the room.

He wasn't just the Lakers point guard, he was their conscience, the only guy who ever stole a sideline huddle from Phil Jackson, the only player who others respected enough to treat like a coach.

He wasn't just Kobe Bryant's keeper, he was his buffer, constantly stepping between the Manic Mamba and misunderstandings with the rest of the team, protecting new guys from Bryant's wrath, protecting Bryant from himself.

He was still Derek Fisher, still capable of making plays like the one in late December against the Denver Nuggets. He missed a potential go-ahead three-point shot in the final two minutes and then raced across the floor and dove between two Nuggets and came up with the loose ball.

The Lakers eventually won that game, and afterward I thanked him for allowing us to experience, however briefly, what it was like to watch an old-school Laker.

"We have to make sure nobody forgets, right?" he said with a grin.

With five championship rings, he equaled Bryant and Magic Johnson. With 13 Lakers seasons, he played here one year longer than James Worthy and only one year shorter than Jerry West.

More than anyone, even Bryant, in this current organization, Fisher was the calm connection between the uncertain Lakers present and the championship Lakers past. Fisher ran the locker room. Fisher ran the bench. Fisher called the team meetings. Fisher ended the team meetings. Even when his sprint had slowed to a jog, Fisher was the quiet caretaker of the Lakers culture.

The Lakers traded Derek Fisher, and for what?

Officially, he was traded to the Houston Rockets for Jordan Hill, an awkward big man who, despite being a lottery pick three years ago, has been unable to stay on the floor more than 15 minutes a game this season.

Unofficially, Fisher was traded because the Lakers no longer wanted to worry about his future salary $3.4 million guaranteed next season or his future attitude.

The money dump is obvious. It's the same thing that Jim Buss did to Lamar Odom. For the first time ever, the Lakers are clearly being guided by economics, one of the greatest franchises in sports suddenly reduced to tripping over relative pennies.

It's the attitude dump that is strange. It turns out, many feared that with the acquisition Thursday of decent Cleveland point guard Ramon Sessions, Fisher would balk at his new place at the end of the bench. His new job would be as a third-stringer behind Sessions and Steve Blake.

There were worries that Fisher would use his command presence to cause quiet chaos. Some felt he could make things uncomfortable for everyone, particularly Coach Mike Brown, by using the same sort of political savvy that helped him serve as the union boss during the recent lockout.

Certainly, any time a local legend is benched, those are legitimate worries. But at this advanced stage of his career, Fisher was more accepting of his eventual fate. He repeatedly told me that he knew his diminished minutes were coming, and that he would accept the demotion if it would help the team.

"Where I'm at in my life, it's about more than minutes for me," he once said. "It's about still having an impact on this team."

At 37, Fisher just wanted to be part of the Lakers as long as they would have him, and then retire in the city where he began as a rookie in the same summer of 1996 that also featured the arrival of Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal.

He wouldn't have caused trouble, unless it was for the opposing team in the final seconds, like with the three-pointer he sank to beat the Dallas Mavericks two months ago.

He wouldn't have brought dramatics, unless it was the playoffs and he was hitting that point-four shot against San Antonio or pulling off a coast-to-coast drive against Boston.

He could have remained here for the rest of the season just being Derek Fisher, and then the Lakers could have worked out some sort of buyout and allowed him to retire with dignity, retire as a Laker.

Maybe Fisher will simply retire now, sadly in some Westside hotel ballroom, sadly on his own. Or maybe he'll embrace this trade as a chance to mentor young and rising players as he once did here.

Houston obviously thinks he is still worth something. It's breathtaking to realize that the Lakers don't.

And for a different viewpoint, here's the Insider article John Hollinger wrote about the Lakers' deals yesterday. He thinks it makes them instantly into condenders.

Thursday, March 15, 2012
Updated: March 16, 7:53 AM ET
Lakers now a threat out West--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By John Hollinger
ESPN.com

Soooo ... now what do we think of the Los Angeles Lakers?

Calling them the "new look" Lakers might be a bit much -- this is still the outfit led by Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol, and the other guys are still mostly filler.

But with two trades on Thursday, L.A. dramatically altered both its present and its near future, while once again shipping out more money than it took back.

At least this time it was about more than just money; the Lakers got back two players who are going to help them more than a lot of people realize. More on that in a minute.

First, though, the Lakers are once again cutting dollars. They didn't use their $8 million trade exception from the Lamar Odom deal; instead, they used both of their first-round draft picks this June to pay other teams to take unproductive secondary players. One went to the Rockets to pay them to take Derek Fisher, owed $3.4 million after this season, and one went to the Cavaliers so they would take Luke Walton, owed $6.1 million next season when you factor in his trade kicker. The latter figure was partially offset by the returning salary of Christian Eyenga from Cleveland, owed $1.1 million, but there was still a net savings of $5 million in deadweight money.

And remember, those savings double because the Lakers are deep into the luxury tax. So unloading Fisher and Walton realizes an actual savings of $16.8 million next season.

(Since I'm writing about the Fisher deal at length here instead of my usual grades file (Click here for more grades), let me note that Houston gets a nice solid B-plus for landing a short-term backup point guard and purchasing a first-round draft pick in 2014 for $3.4 million. And let us also note the night-and-day difference in valuations on first-round picks today. Golden State and Cleveland paid an effective price of nearly $10 million for theirs, which is why I graded each of them so harshly.)

The crazy part is that L.A. actually got usable players in these deals. The Lakers would have gladly given away the first-rounders just to get rid of Walton's contract, but getting players back in the deals significantly improves their prospects. From Houston, the Lakers get Jordan Hill, a serviceable backup big man who can run the floor, rebound, block shots and generally be a much better option off the bench than Troy Murphy or Josh McRoberts.

And from Cleveland, the Lakers get Ramon Sessions, a dynamic pick-and-roll point guard who provides a sizable upgrade on the pathetic Fisher-Steve Blake combination that the Lakers had been trotting out. Sessions has defensive shortcomings and can't space the floor well for the Lakers' three stars, but L.A. was so desperate for another dynamic offensive player to create easy shots that he'll still be a major shot in the arm.

This is where we get back to my BAD rating. BAD stands for "Below Average Dependency," and it's my tool for determining how big a chunk of a team's minutes is squandered on bad players.

The Lakers, despite owning the league's sixth-best record, lead the league in BAD. They are top-heavy in the extreme, with three All-Stars, one half-good reserve (Matt Barnes) and a roster full of replacement-level filler.

Some of the filler have big names -- Fisher and Metta World Peace, for instance -- but at this point in their careers they shouldn't be starting for good teams. In fact, they should hardly be playing at all.

And that explains why L.A. is third in the West, and not first, even though it has the best three-man core this side of Miami and Bryant, Bynum and Gasol haven't missed a single game because of injury.

In turn, that explains why getting players like Hill and Sessions -- who would do little for the bottom line of several teams -- is likely to make this club a lot stronger. Basically, the Lakers' secondary players were so bad that even replacing them with mediocre ones is going to dramatically improve the team.

I understand the sentiment in L.A. regarding Fisher's departure, and you wish it could have been handled more delicately. But in terms of the business side, this was a no-brainer. Fisher has a player efficiency rating (PER) of 9.01 and Blake's is 8.87; among point guards with at least 750 minutes, only Orlando's ridiculous Chris Duhon has been worse. Fisher barely scores half as often as he did in 2007-08, his first season back in L.A., and with a lower true shooting percentage and more turnovers. His 3-point shooting, his "specialty," has also fallen to 32.4 percent.

Replacing that dynamic duo with a point guard with a 16.44 PER provides a massive shot in the arm. Per minute Sessions averages nearly twice as many points and provides huge advantages in assists and rebounds too. There's no way this won't translate to the Lakers' win total, even if he is less productive in their system than he was in Cleveland.

Similarly, Hill isn't exactly going gangbusters -- he gets pushed around on defense pretty easily and he is often out of position. Big picture, he's something of a "4.5" who lacks the skill for a 4 or the beef to play 5.

But compared with Murphy, this guy will look like Bill Russell. Hill averages 13 points per 40 minutes, nearly double that of Murphy or McRoberts, and his 13 boards per 40 minutes is also an improvement of more than 50 percent. Playing off the ball, running and finishing -- he can do those things, and likely won't have a major adjustment coming to the Lakers.

So how big an improvement are we talking about? Well, factor in 30 minutes or so with a seven-point PER jump at the point, and another 20 minutes with a five-point jump for the third big man. Even if you water down Sessions' numbers because he doesn't fit perfectly in L.A.'s offense, it will still make a bigger impact than people realize.

Sum it up and the numbers say it's worth about six wins over an 82-game season -- a jump as big as one the Lakers would make by trading a halfway decent starter for an All-Star. That would have had us writing 3,000-word epics for days, but this more subtle move was what the Lakers' situation required. With a real backup big and a decent point guard joining their three studs, the Lakers can make a much more coherent case for being contenders.

They're not favorites, mind you, and they still are very fragile -- if one of the three stars goes down, forget it. But in a Western Conference where everybody save Oklahoma City has shown considerable warts, these moves make the Lakers a legitimate threat to reach the Finals. I'm not sure I could have said that with a straight face 24 hours ago.

Plaschke is an embarrassment to LA but Hollinger is an embarrassment to mankind. Both are douches.

Decker
03-16-12, 10:17 PM
Watching Sessions run the floor for LA. It's so weird seeing a quick Lakers PG. it'll take some getting used to, but so far I like it. :up:

hahn
03-16-12, 10:41 PM
Watching Sessions run the floor for LA. It's so weird seeing a quick Lakers PG. it'll take some getting used to, but so far I like it. :up:

How are you watching it? There's only an audio option on my League Pass.

Decker
03-16-12, 10:58 PM
Fox Sports West

Decker
03-16-12, 11:55 PM
Adelman calls a time out after a made Lakers basket, down 8 with 10 seconds left. Really, Rick?

Lakers run their win streak against the T-Wolves to 19. Sorry, starman.

DJariya
03-17-12, 12:05 AM
7 points, 4 rebs, 5 assists for Sessions in roughly 19 minutes.

Not bad for his debut in limited minutes.

Fisher wouldn't even deliver 5 assists in 30+ minuts of play.

hahn
03-17-12, 01:22 AM
7 points, 4 rebs, 5 assists for Sessions in roughly 19 minutes.

Not bad for his debut in limited minutes.

Fisher wouldn't even deliver 5 assists in 30+ minuts of play.
I've never really viewed Fish as a true point guard. He doesn't really facilitate plays and I think he averages well under 5 APG over his career. He's only made a name for himself with clutch 3 point shots. I think the Lakers may have been the biggest winner of this trade. All they really needed was a halfway competent point guard to put them over the edge. It'll be interesting to see how they match up with OKC in a couple of weeks.

starman9000
03-17-12, 08:18 AM
Lakers run their win streak against the T-Wolves to 19. Sorry, starman.

:lol: I knew better than to even tune in. If Kahn and the players gave up after Rubio got hurt, I don't know why the fans should bother.

Arpeggi
03-17-12, 09:02 AM
I've never really viewed Fish as a true point guard. He doesn't really facilitate plays and I think he averages well under 5 APG over his career. He's only made a name for himself with clutch 3 point shots. I think the Lakers may have been the biggest winner of this trade. All they really needed was a halfway competent point guard to put them over the edge. It'll be interesting to see how they match up with OKC in a couple of weeks.

This is true.

Fisher had negative value to the team.

dsa_shea
03-17-12, 09:02 PM
The Knicks!

hahn
03-17-12, 09:39 PM
Woohoo! Linsanity is back with 19 pts, 7 reb, 6 assists. Looks like he's entertaining the idea of getting a triple double before the season's over. Should've easily been 10 assists except for a few failed finishes.

Actually, I'm not actually sure it ever went away. Looking down his stat sheet, he's actually been pretty solid with the one glaring exception of the Heat game. But his buckets and passing looked awfully pretty tonight so he was a lot more noticeable.

dsa_shea
03-18-12, 10:51 AM
If the Knicks keep playing winning ball then they have a legitimate shot to make it all the way up to the 4th spot in the East. However, they could just as easily slide and end up 10th or 11th. They just need to keep playing the way they are now and things will work out for them.

Decker
03-18-12, 06:00 PM
Bought my family tickets to an upcoming Laker game here in a couple of weeks. Figured if I was finally seeing a game at Staples for the first time, I was going to do things right. According to the Staples seating charts, here's the view from our seats:
http://www.nba.com/media/lakers/sect.109.jpg

Can't wait!

dsa_shea
03-18-12, 06:05 PM
I don't understand why the Rockets have to buyout Fisher when he basically decided himself that he didn't want to show up. Why should he benefit financially when it was his decision to not want to be there?

sleepyhead55
03-18-12, 06:17 PM
They need or want the roster spot is my thinking. Fisher can't play for the Lakers anyway if he is bought out. That was put in the new CBA. That trade was for the first round pick anyway.

dsa_shea
03-18-12, 06:59 PM
They need or want the roster spot is my thinking. Fisher can't play for the Lakers anyway if he is bought out. That was put in the new CBA. That trade was for the first round pick anyway.

I know he can't return to the Lakers but it is sad that he has turned into a little bitch about the whole deal. Hell, he was allowed to leave the Jazz to return to the Lakers because of his daughter's illness. He basically reaped the rewards of returning by winning a couple more titles. Now he doesn't even want to play ball when traded and he was the player's rep during the bargaining negotiations. Way to show your fellow league players the right way to do things.

fumanstan
03-18-12, 07:27 PM
It's possible the Rockets were going to buy him out anyway, or don't care about letting him go. So you might be making some incorrect assumptions :shrug:

dsa_shea
03-18-12, 09:15 PM
Maybe you are right but it didn't seem like he was in a hurry to continue his career as a Rocket.

Mr. Cinema
03-19-12, 08:32 AM
Kobe was 3-20 shooting last night. Holy shit.

Trevor
03-19-12, 08:36 AM
Kobe was 3-20 shooting last night. Holy shit.
I thought he was that every night? That and 18-20 on touch-foul FTs.

starman9000
03-19-12, 08:43 AM
Hornets fans (are there any?) have to be happy to see the Wolves lose to another bad team and fighting with each other on the bench.

Mr. Cinema
03-19-12, 09:54 AM
Those FT numbers are Dwayne Wade's, not Kobe's.

fumanstan
03-19-12, 10:43 AM

That's stupid.

dsa_shea
03-19-12, 11:16 AM
It's possible the Rockets were going to buy him out anyway, or don't care about letting him go. So you might be making some incorrect assumptions :shrug:

However, if it is true that the Rockets extended their deadline for him to show up then that tells me that they would have liked for him to play for them and not just bail out. Whatever the truth is it is obvious that Fisher is not the best person to represent the rest of the players and "doing the right thing".

davidh777
03-19-12, 12:08 PM
That's stupid.

But funny :)

davidh777
03-19-12, 12:16 PM
Bought my family tickets to an upcoming Laker game here in a couple of weeks. Figured if I was finally seeing a game at Staples for the first time, I was going to do things right. According to the Staples seating charts, here's the view from our seats:
http://www.nba.com/media/lakers/sect.109.jpg

Can't wait!

Sweet

dsa_shea
03-19-12, 12:18 PM
Looks like Fisher is wanting to play for a contender. Don't they all? They might be a contender when he gets there but will they remain that way once he is there? That is the question.

davidh777
03-19-12, 12:22 PM
Seriously. Which contender is going to give Fisher any kind of PT?

fumanstan
03-19-12, 12:27 PM
However, if it is true that the Rockets extended their deadline for him to show up then that tells me that they would have liked for him to play for them and not just bail out. Whatever the truth is it is obvious that Fisher is not the best person to represent the rest of the players and "doing the right thing".

It doesn't tell me anything; they might have needed the extra time to work out the buyout figures. I don't think that really affects any of the labor stuff :shrug:

dsa_shea
03-19-12, 12:28 PM
It doesn't tell me anything; they might have needed the extra time to work out the buyout figures. I don't think that really affects any of the labor stuff :shrug:

Is that you Mr. Fisher?

sleepyhead55
03-19-12, 12:35 PM

Kobe has been a chucker extrodinaire this year. Lots of bad shooting games.

Seriously. Which contender is going to give Fisher any kind of PT?

Miami, maybe?

fumanstan
03-19-12, 12:49 PM
Is that you Mr. Fisher?

You're the one that keeps badgering on and on about him :shrug:

dsa_shea
03-19-12, 01:14 PM
You're the one that keeps badgering on and on about him :shrug:

And you keep protecting him but oh well.

fumanstan
03-19-12, 01:46 PM
And you keep protecting him but oh well.

But again, only because you seem to have a lot of random harsh words for the situation. :)

Larry C.
03-19-12, 01:50 PM
But again, only because you seem to have a lot of random harsh words for the situation. :)

Freakin Knicks:bmonkey: fans. -ohbfrank-

:eyebrow:

Decker
03-19-12, 01:59 PM
Miami, maybe?

That was my thought as well. They could use his leadership.

If nobody wants to sign him, I wonder if he could, hypothetically, come back to the Lakers as a coach. I know he's prohibited from playing for them, but don't know if he retires if he would be prohibited from taking a coaching job there.

I've also wondered if Houston wanted him instead of Blake in the trade not for what he would bring their team, but rather to see what subtracting him from the Lakers would do to theirs. If so, that might have been a smart move for a conference rival.

fumanstan
03-19-12, 02:09 PM
Miami supposedly wanted him before he re-signed with the Lakers a couple years ago.

Arpeggi
03-19-12, 10:27 PM
Fisher is beyond garbage and I'd be happy for him to sign with a contender and take away playing time from a real NBA player.

DJariya
03-19-12, 11:36 PM
I read a blurb in today's paper about Mike Brown's plans with the Lakers new additions.

He said for the foreseeable future, Steve Blake is the starting PG and Sessions is the backup.

He also said that Jordan Hill will not get any PT in the near future. He said that he's behind McRoberts and Murphy in the depth chart and would only come in for injury or garbage time.

LurkerDan
03-19-12, 11:46 PM
I read a blurb in today's paper about Mike Brown's plans with the Lakers new additions.

He said for the foreseeable future, Steve Blake is the starting PG and Sessions is the backup.

He also said that Jordan Hill will not get any PT in the near future. He said that he's behind McRoberts and Murphy in the depth chart and would only come in for injury or garbage time.

That makes sense for new additions who aren't obvious starters. The second unit could use Sessions' scoring. And Hill is young and inexperienced, there's no rush.

sleepyhead55
03-20-12, 02:25 AM
byBqrtB8Kow

Wow. The Warrior fans gave the owner the full heel treatment here. Are they still upset about Monta Ellis being traded?

WWE can't write stuff as good as this.:lol:

Arpeggi
03-20-12, 07:29 AM
Classless fans.

Mr. Cinema
03-20-12, 08:10 AM
Andrew Bynum has been on a tear of late. Season averages are now up to 18.1/12.9/2.0

Last 5 games, he's averaging 26/14.6

Decker
03-20-12, 08:38 AM
Andrew Bynum has been on a tear of late. Season averages are now up to 18.1/12.9/2.0

Last 5 games, he's averaging 26/14.6

Please don't use the words "Andrew Bynum" and "tear" in the same sentence. You scared me for a second. But yeah, he's been great this year and is a much more effecient scorer than that other Lakers All-Star starter.

Jam Master Jay
03-20-12, 01:28 PM
Trade away a star guard and a young promising PF for a injury prone center (who probably won't play this season) they have every right to boo. Didn't help with Lacob and Rick Barry egging on the crowd either. "Now that we got that out of the way" Should have taken a page out of the David Stern play book and sit there and lets the boos reign down while he has that stupid looking smile on his face.

Decker
03-20-12, 03:28 PM
Classless fans.

Yeah. I'm sorry, but no way are those "The Best Fans in the World".

fumanstan
03-20-12, 04:02 PM
Yeah. I'm sorry, but no way are those "The Best Fans in the World".

My pet peeve! :)

sleepyhead55
03-20-12, 04:15 PM
Derek Fisher close to signing with OKC. Good move for them as they needed another PG after Maynor blew out his knee. And it gives Brooks another late game option when Westbrook feels like going one on one and chucking up shots.

Matt
03-20-12, 04:42 PM
And it gives Brooks another late game option when Westbrook feels like going one on one and chucking up shots.

This was in my Twitter timeline, just today:

Royce Young ‏ @dailythunder
Fun fact: In the clutch, Russell Westbrook is shooting 47.2 percent from the field. Durant is shooting 41.6 percent.

hahn
03-20-12, 09:01 PM
These Knicks blowouts are hurting Lin's numbers. :D

Goat3001
03-20-12, 09:15 PM
Knicks looked great again. :up:

Hopefully they can keep on rolling in a tough game against the Sixers tomorrow.

Mike Breen said it tonight and I agree with him. The Knicks can absolutely sustain this level of play since no one player is playing far above their head. BUT this is very possibly just the "honeymoon" period after a coaching change. He equated it to the 13 wins in a row the Nets had a few years back when Lawrence Frank took over. Hopefully that's not the case, but I'm a Knicks fan, it's hard to be optimistic.

hahn
03-20-12, 09:23 PM
Knicks looked great again. :up:

Hopefully they can keep on rolling in a tough game against the Sixers tomorrow.

Mike Breen said it tonight and I agree with him. The Knicks can absolutely sustain this level of play since no one player is playing far above their head. BUT this is very possibly just the "honeymoon" period after a coaching change. He equated it to the 13 wins in a row the Nets had a few years back when Lawrence Frank took over. Hopefully that's not the case, but I'm a Knicks fan, it's hard to be optimistic.
That's the amazing thing is that they're getting these blowouts with a really well balanced attack. I've noticed that it's not always Lin bringing the ball up the floor now either, which was smart. Having Lin control the ball on virtually every play gives the other team a focal point for defense. eg shutdown Lin and you shutdown the entire offense. It's like sacking the quarterback. This spreading the ball around even when just bringing it up the court relieves the pressure from Lin whose TO's have noticeably dropped as a result. It looks like a problem defending the Knicks now. Will be interested to see them playing Philly tomorrow who's more of true test for Woodson than the last 4.

And defense! It's like night and day. I'm like well shit, Melo IS actually capable of defense! Stoudemire is still just a statue, but at least he's rebounding again.

LurkerDan
03-20-12, 10:32 PM
Melo is definitely capable of playing defense, he just needs to be active and focused.

Mr. Cinema
03-21-12, 08:33 AM
Lakers blow a double digit lead and another loss on the road. Bynum ejected in the 3rd. From what I read, Ramon Sessions had the offense flowing in the 4th, and then after Kobe entered, it....stalled. Sessions had 14 and 4 in 29 minutes. Steve Blake started but played only 19 minutes. I think in a few more games, we'll see Sessions in the starting lineup.

LurkerDan
03-21-12, 10:22 AM
I don't know if Sessions will start; he may end up being one of those guys who plays more minutes but doesn't start. Because he helps the second unit more than Blake does.

Matt
03-21-12, 10:34 AM
Derek Fisher is in OKC and will be signing with the Thunder later today.

Larry C.
03-21-12, 01:11 PM
Derek Fisher is in OKC and will be signing with the Thunder later today.

He's gonna get a ton of splinters riding the pine.

Matt
03-21-12, 01:43 PM
I think the idea is he'll be a better backup for Westbrook come playoff time than the rookie backing him up now.

Larry C.
03-21-12, 01:46 PM
Yes you got a point.

Can't wait for the OKC/HEAT gm this weekend!

Matt
03-21-12, 01:54 PM
Can't wait for the OKC/HEAT gm this weekend!

I just hope OKC shows up to play. Playing like shit this month. 5-5 in the last ten.

hahn
03-21-12, 07:13 PM
Knicks are looking like the team they SHOULD be with the talent they have. Stoudemire finally finding his inner beast - you don't want to be standing in front of him when he decides to attack the rim now. Philly having short comebacks, but the way they're playing Knicks are going to blow this game wide open in the second half just like the last 4.

dsa_shea
03-21-12, 07:36 PM
I like how the refs basically let the other teams molest Lin up and down the court and call very few fouls on it.

hahn
03-21-12, 07:59 PM
I like how the refs basically let the other teams molest Lin up and down the court and call very few fouls on it.
To be fair, they're not really calling many fouls for anyone. Kind of weird game. You don't often see a game with this much physicality and no fouls being called.

dsa_shea
03-21-12, 08:01 PM
To be fair, they're not really calling many fouls for anyone.

I see that but it has been commonplace for the past few weeks to just let teams ride Lin up and down the court. However, if you did that to Rose or Lebron you would get called for a foul more often than not. Lin has to basically get the shit knocked out of him to get a foul and even then they sometimes turn the cheek.

hahn
03-21-12, 08:20 PM
I see that but it has been commonplace for the past few weeks to just let teams ride Lin up and down the court. However, if you did that to Rose or Lebron you would get called for a foul more often than not. Lin has to basically get the shit knocked out of him to get a foul and even then they sometimes turn the cheek.I chalk it up to backlash. Whenever you start out with that much hype, there's bound to be backlash, from critics, players, and yes, even refs. It's okay though. Jeremy's tough and he'll get through it. When he keeps up this level of play, those calls will come. Besides, you have to admit, he was getting superstar protection from the refs during the Linsanity phase.

Update: 4th quarter, Lin's getting his revenge. Though running into Elton Brand must be kinda like running into a brick wall.

Update: Stoudemire's block on Brand's dunk attempt. :jawdrop:

dsa_shea
03-21-12, 08:43 PM
Knicks win again!

DJariya
03-21-12, 09:02 PM
:lol: at D-Fish's jersey number with the Thunder "37" which is his age. Trying to prove a point?

chess
03-21-12, 09:34 PM
Lakers look like a different team with Sessions in the game. They started sluggish with lots of contested jumpers, and when he came in...lots of crisp passes and open looks.

Kid looks good.

How do you trade for him and get rid of Luke Walton in the deal? Doesn't even seem fair.

hahn
03-21-12, 11:16 PM
Hmm...Lakers looking pretty good. The whole playoffs are going to be veeeeery interesting I think. Lots of really really great teams contending. Now I'm REALLY excited to see OKC vs LA.

Decker
03-21-12, 11:37 PM
Speaking of the Lakers, I have my own "LA Story" anecdote : When I bought my tickets to an upcoming game from Stub Hub, I noticed that they apparently came with a parking pass. I wasn't looking for that in the offer, but it was a nice bonus. The tickets arrived from Fed Ex yesterday : Four baseline tickets, and FOUR parking passes. Only in Los Angeles! :lol:

JumpCutz
03-21-12, 11:42 PM
The whole playoffs are going to be veeeeery interesting I think. Lots of really really great teams contending.

:lol:

Yes, the playoffs will be entertaining and there will be some competitive match-ups... but I think it's a bit hyperbolic to classify these squads as really really great.

I love ya Hahn, and I'm excited about these potential playoff series, but lets try to keep it real. -wink-

hahn
03-21-12, 11:51 PM
:lol:

Yes, the playoffs will be entertaining and there will be some competitive match-ups... but I think it's a bit hyperbolic to classify these squads as really really great.

I love ya Hahn, and I'm excited about these potential playoff series, but lets try to keep it real. -wink-
I think they're pretty great. Why would you say they're not? Before the All-Star break, I would have said it was a shoe-in to be a Thunder-Heat finals. Watching everyone play now, I'm not so sure that's necessarily automatic anymore. What's not real about it?

(Love ya too ;))

Mr. Cinema
03-22-12, 07:53 AM
It was a breath of fresh air to see Sessions in the game running the offense. A fast point guard in a Lakers uniform moving the ball quickly and efficiently. I never thought I'd see that ever again.

Goat3001
03-22-12, 08:28 AM
Knicks win again!

And it was a game they would have lost by 20 under D'Antoni. Stat played well but the rest of the Knicks couldn't find their shot all night. Under D'Antoni they would give up and let the Sixers take over. Now they're still hounding on defense and attacking the boards. As ugly as the game was it's good to see them scratch out a win this way.

Since the start of Linsanity the Knicks have won 7 in a row. Traded losses and wins over the next 6. Then lost 6 in a row. Then won 5 in a row and counting. And not once have they climbed over .500. Crazy. Now with upcoming games against the Raptors and Pistons they might finally get there before a big game against the Bucks at home.

19 games left and if they keep playing at this level they have enough time to leapfrog both the Sixers and Celtics and take the division giving them the 4th seed. Now let's just see if they can keep this up or if they're headed for another downward spiral and the lottery.

mcnabb
03-22-12, 09:23 AM
Now they're still hounding on defense and attacking the boards.

As a 76ers fan, that is the first thing I noticed about the Knicks last night, they really played tough defense compared to that same Knicks team we beat a few weeks ago.

Decker
03-22-12, 10:24 AM
It's Woodsonity!!!!

Jam Master Jay
03-23-12, 11:55 AM
Here's a video of the Jason Smith flagrant foul on Blake Griffin from last night. A suspension probably coming. Blake did a really nice job of milking it though that's for sure...and :lol: at the fake tough guy act by Chris Paul going after Smith like he's going to do something.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zQmV7ETxj2I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Goat3001
03-23-12, 11:59 AM
As bad as that foul was the commentators were acting like Jason Smith just killed a puppy. He just got checked, relax.

dsa_shea
03-23-12, 12:43 PM
For all the showboating that Griffin does he should have known that it was coming sooner than later. He just got body checked anyways.

fumanstan
03-23-12, 12:47 PM
Way to sell it Blake :lol:

I don't know, getting checked like that running full speed is pretty rough, IMO.

Mr. Cinema
03-23-12, 01:23 PM
Here's a video of the Jason Smith flagrant foul on Blake Griffin from last night. A suspension probably coming. Blake did a really nice job of milking it though that's for sure...and :lol: at the fake tough guy act by Chris Paul going after Smith like he's going to do something.

It's too bad Paul didn't pull a pussy sucker punch like Melo did a few years back.

dsa_shea
03-23-12, 03:01 PM
It's too bad Paul didn't pull a pussy sucker punch like Melo did a few years back.

That was in a game against the Knicks, right?

Mr. Cinema
03-23-12, 03:28 PM
That was in a game against the Knicks, right?
I think it was.

Mr. Cinema
03-23-12, 03:28 PM
Mike Brown said today he is starting Sessions tonight. That didn't take long.

Mr. Cinema
03-23-12, 03:29 PM
:lol: at D-Fish's jersey number with the Thunder "37" which is his age. Trying to prove a point?
Could be representing his shooting %.

dsa_shea
03-23-12, 07:58 PM
Most pathetic shooting performance as a team tonight by the Knicks. Terrible!

starman9000
03-23-12, 09:32 PM
Love just hit 50 in OKC.

fumanstan
03-23-12, 09:34 PM
Love just hit 50 in OKC.

That's awesome. 7/10 from downtown. I love how he has improved his game rather then just being what looked like an unathletic big white guy coming out of college :p

starman9000
03-23-12, 09:44 PM
They blew it to end the 1st OT, up 5. Durant with the three to tie it (Love hit one at the end of regulation).

I think the Wolves missed their chance and don't like their odds in this 2nd OT, but who knows.

starman9000
03-23-12, 09:53 PM
:lol: Wolves announcers saying this is one of the greatest performances in Wolves history...and they are going to lose.

starman9000
03-23-12, 09:59 PM
Love walks off the court thinking about how fun it will be to sign with OKC in 3 years.

nickdawgy
03-24-12, 03:01 AM
So I guess Sessions was the first Laker PG to get a double double in over three years :lol:

That's so sad but funny :lol:

He looks good, though, and from highlights it looks like the team is having fun out there.

dsa_shea
03-24-12, 11:59 AM
I still don't understand why teams trade good players to the Lakers for scraps.

JumpCutz
03-24-12, 12:52 PM
John Hollinger tweet:

"Amazing OKC-Min footnote: In a game that ended 149-140, both starting shooting guards went scoreless".

That's mind-blowing. :eek:

dsa_shea
03-24-12, 12:58 PM
John Hollinger tweet:

"Amazing OKC-Min footnote: In a game that ended 149-140, both starting shooting guards went scoreless".

That's mind-blowing. :eek:

How is that even possible? lol!

starman9000
03-24-12, 01:15 PM
It's called Wes Johnson....but we didn't need Crawford or any other 2 to help this team compete. Nope.

fumanstan
03-24-12, 03:37 PM
I still don't understand why teams trade good players to the Lakers for scraps.

Sessions didn't seem to be valued very highly given that the Lakers are his 4th team in 5 years.

starman9000
03-24-12, 04:21 PM
Yeah, Sessions will get hyped heavily because he landed at the Lakers (both because it's the Lakers, and because they needed a PG so bad), but it's not like it was some heist.

Arpeggi
03-25-12, 12:34 AM
I don't think Sessions is anything special. He looks good so far but any average player would look good compared to the garbage travesty that was Fisher. That guy was a disgrace to decent basketball. The Lakers are now playing 5 on 5.

hahn
03-25-12, 12:52 AM
I don't think Sessions is anything special. He looks good so far but any average player would look good compared to the garbage travesty that was Fisher. That guy was a disgrace to decent basketball. The Lakers are now playing 5 on 5.
We still don't know how you really feel about Fisher. You're being far too coy. :)

Knicks with a snoozer of a win. I feel bad for the Pistons. Didn't seem like that long ago that they won a championship in rather impressive fashion - with no superstars. Oh how far they've fallen.

nickdawgy
03-25-12, 06:28 AM
Arpeggi is a Fisher hater. Fish was garbage on defense, but he hit some big shots. He was a leader, too.

fujishig
03-25-12, 11:52 PM
Yeah, Sessions will get hyped heavily because he landed at the Lakers (both because it's the Lakers, and because they needed a PG so bad), but it's not like it was some heist.

They got rid of Walton and landed Sessions. It was a heist.

chess
03-26-12, 06:56 AM
Sessions should have had 10-12 assists last night, but Kobe and Pau couldn't hit anything. Terrible.

Larry C.
03-26-12, 08:55 AM
Sorry to break up all the damn Lakers Talk. But did the Heat look like shit last night or what? Kudos to OKC and specially Durant. Damn I like that kid. If the Heat don't win it this year I sure hope OKC does.

devilshalo
03-26-12, 12:18 PM
Sessions should have had 10-12 assists last night, but Kobe and Pau couldn't hit anything. Terrible.

They still run too many isolation plays for Kobe. And wtf Mike Brown, leaving Kobe on the bench for so long in the 4th. He had some wacky line ups in the game that no one got into any rhythm.

Mr. Cinema
03-26-12, 12:36 PM
They still run too many isolation plays for Kobe. And wtf Mike Brown, leaving Kobe on the bench for so long in the 4th. He had some wacky line ups in the game that no one got into any rhythm.
I can't believe Bynum played 41 minutes and only had 4 rebounds.

Mr. Cinema
03-26-12, 12:55 PM
We still don't know how you really feel about Fisher. You're being far too coy. :)

Knicks with a snoozer of a win. I feel bad for the Pistons. Didn't seem like that long ago that they won a championship in rather impressive fashion - with no superstars. Oh how far they've fallen.
Dumars is an idiot GM, imo, and is partly the reason for their slow rebuilding. They have 2 toxic contracts in Gordon and Villanueva.

They do have some nice young core players to build around in Monroe, Stuckey, and Knight. And they'll have a high 1st rounder in a deep draft this year.

fujishig
03-26-12, 01:25 PM
Dumars is an idiot GM, imo, and is partly the reason for their slow rebuilding. They have 2 toxic contracts in Gordon and Villanueva.

They do have some nice young core players to build around in Monroe, Stuckey, and Knight. And they'll have a high 1st rounder in a deep draft this year.

I still have no idea what he was thinking or who he thought he was bidding against to get his "big 2." And to land both in the same FA year, only to have them be out of the rotation and continually hurt ever since...

JumpCutz
03-26-12, 05:25 PM
Amare and Lin out for the Knicks tonight.

AS has a bulging disc and might not be ready for the playoffs.

fumanstan
03-26-12, 05:40 PM
https://p.twimg.com/Ao7_JQ9CQAATEUX.jpg

Decker
03-26-12, 06:47 PM
That would be funnier if Kobe had the ball.

starman9000
03-26-12, 07:04 PM
Must be a good strategy, as they haven't lost to the Wolves in approximately 3,979 consecutive games.

hahn
03-26-12, 08:36 PM
Wow, this Knicks-Bucks game is the ugliest game I've watched in awhile. Embarrassing misses by both teams. Melo sitting. I bet he's pulled that groin again. Was hard to believe he was back after only 7 games from the last one. And that's an easy one to re-injure if you don't take the time to let it heal properly. Not sure the Knicks are going to do as well without Melo and Stat this time around.

Update: can't believe they let Melo back in. You can tell the groin is bothering him. It might be brave but it's not smart. I bet he doesn't play the next game.

hahn
03-26-12, 08:45 PM

Let's be fair to Dumars. The Pistons made it to the Eastern Conference finals 6 years in a row under him. A couple of bad years shouldn't discount everything else he's done.

hahn
03-26-12, 08:49 PM
Sorry to break up all the damn Lakers Talk. But did the Heat look like shit last night or what? Kudos to OKC and specially Durant. Damn I like that kid. If the Heat don't win it this year I sure hope OKC does.
When the Heat are winning, they're dominating. But their one weakness seems to be psychological toughness. Every team has off nights, but the great teams tough it out and hang in there. The Heat look like they just give up.

Damn you Durant. What could have been if you were a Blazer with Roy and Aldridge. Sigh.

fumanstan
03-26-12, 09:39 PM
Let's be fair to Dumars. The Pistons made it to the Eastern Conference finals 6 years in a row under him. A couple of bad years shouldn't discount everything else he's done.

But how long does a bunch of good years continue to justify the bad ones?

When the Heat are winning, they're dominating. But their one weakness seems to be psychological toughness. Every team has off nights, but the great teams tough it out and hang in there. The Heat look like they just give up.

Probably because they follow the behavior of Lebron, who exemplifies those characteristics.

Decker
03-26-12, 09:57 PM
Speaking of OKC, I just came back from a weekend there. The civic pride for that team is really remarkable. Everywhere you see Thunder decorations. I wanted to go to the T-Wolves game on Friday, but couldn't get out of a rehearsal dinner. I hit a couple of bars afterwards and EVERYONE was glued to the game (which went to double OT). You'd never see that in LA before the playoffs.
The coolest thing was that so many people were walking around wearing Thunder jerseys and shirts -- and they weren't all #35. People had Westbrook, Harden, Perkins and even Ibaka jerseys on. In Indy, even during the peak Pacers turn-of-the-century teams, you'd never see anything but 31 Miller jerseys. And in LA, of course, they're all 24. I just thought that was so cool and if the Lakers can't win (and barring a lot of dumb luck, they can't), then I want the Thunder!

Oh, and the downside of blind Thunder pride -- The folks there are actually happy about their newest acquisition. When folks found out I'm a Laker fan, they grin and said "We've got Fisher now!". I told them "Enjoy". :lol:

fumanstan
03-26-12, 09:59 PM
And in LA, of course, they're all 24.

I disagree with that; I haven't been to a game this year, but the last few years i'd go to a few games ever year as well as a bunch of playoff games, and I'd see plenty of Gasol and Odom jerseys at the time.

dsa_shea
03-26-12, 10:28 PM
I disagree with that; I haven't been to a game this year, but the last few years i'd go to a few games ever year as well as a bunch of playoff games, and I'd see plenty of Gasol and Odom jerseys at the time.

So you would only see the different jerseys at the games? :)

I am a Knicks fan first and foremost but I am glad to see the Thunder doing well. I want them to win the title if the Knicks have no shot at doing so and with the injuries the Knicks are now dealing with their slim chances are likely going by the wayside.

chess
03-26-12, 11:55 PM

I turned it off just a bit into the 4th once I could tell they weren't going to get it together. Bottom line is simply that they couldn't make shots and weren't hustling.

Sessions makes me hopeful, but only to the extent that Kobe lets him run the offense. And I'm not in any way sold on Brown as a coach. I can't help but think of all those years where Cleveland dominated the regular season, and he was badly outcoached in the playoffs. Sure, Lebron is a choke artist, but there was more to it than that.

anxi80
03-27-12, 12:05 PM
And in LA, of course, they're all 24.

Not true, I still see plenty of fans wearing the #8 jersey. :D

Decker
03-27-12, 12:11 PM
Not true, I still see plenty of fans wearing the #8 jersey. :D

Cheap ass bastards.
I remember years ago at Kobe's youth basketball camp he had a note sent out to the parents of the participants that he would only sign #24 jerseys, no #8s. This was like the year or so after he made the switch. Classy guy.

fumanstan
03-27-12, 11:39 PM
So you would only see the different jerseys at the games? :)

I live in Orange County, and in Southern California not that many people wear jerseys casually. Not sure when else you expect to see a lot of jerseys.

devilshalo
03-27-12, 11:51 PM
Why is Bynum on the bench?

fumanstan
03-27-12, 11:53 PM
Why is Bynum on the bench?

He pulled up for a 3 out of nowhere and Brown benched him. When he got put back in the game, he wasn't very into it at all so they took him out and left him out.

devilshalo
03-27-12, 11:56 PM
This is why they needed a coach other than Mike Brown. They really expected him to garner any respect?

fumanstan
03-27-12, 11:58 PM
This is why they needed a coach other than Mike Brown. They really expected him to garner any respect?

I agree with his decision. :shrug:

devilshalo
03-28-12, 12:03 AM
It's not the decision to sit Bynum, but that Brown just doesn't command respect. Like he had any with LeBron? I doubt Bynum would have done that under Phil. Looking at Bynum, he doesn't care at this point and his head just gets bigger.

fumanstan
03-28-12, 12:20 AM
It's not the decision to sit Bynum, but that Brown just doesn't command respect. Like he had any with LeBron? I doubt Bynum would have done that under Phil. Looking at Bynum, he doesn't care at this point and his head just gets bigger.

I disagree, Bynum's shown immaturity his whole career, including under Phil. Just see the forearm to Barea last year.

Decker
03-28-12, 01:03 AM
Ramon Sessions with 7 points and 4 assists. Now that's the kind of production that Lakers fans expect from their starting Point Guard!

devilshalo
03-28-12, 01:21 AM
The forearm to Barea came at the last game of their series in which the whole team was playing like shit and the frustrations came out. Plus it was Phil's last game as coach.

fumanstan
03-28-12, 01:59 AM
The forearm to Barea came at the last game of their series in which the whole team was playing like shit and the frustrations came out. Plus it was Phil's last game as coach.

How about the forearms to other guys, like Gerald Wallace? Really, i'm not sure how anyone can say Bynum hasn't been immature his entire career. Hell, the guy goes around parking in handicap spaces.

fumanstan
03-28-12, 02:00 AM
Ramon Sessions with 7 points and 4 assists. Now that's the kind of production that Lakers fans expect from their starting Point Guard!

Those numbers are still higher then Derek Fisher's averages.

starman9000
03-28-12, 07:07 AM
How about the forearms to other guys, like Gerald Wallace? Really, i'm not sure how anyone can say Bynum hasn't been immature his entire career. Hell, the guy goes around parking in handicap spaces.

Yeah, he took out Beasley last year too.

Mr. Cinema
03-28-12, 08:40 AM
And they won. :shrug:

No one expects him to put up 20 and 10 every night.

Mr. Cinema
03-28-12, 08:43 AM
I agree with his decision. :shrug:
I agree as well. I like that Brown isn't afraid to upset his stars. If Bynum is going to be the key piece for the future, and to land another long extension, he needs to finally just grow up and be a professional.

devilshalo
03-28-12, 08:53 AM
Hard, reckless fouls are one thing, but taking a 3 for the hell of it (probably because he just made one in the Memphis game, doesn't help that Pau has added it to his arsenal, either) and then being a total ass about it after being benched, is another. When the camera panned back to him on the bench, he's staring right into it pointing at the scoreboard when they lost the lead. I don't remember that kind of defiance from him under Phil, that was Kobe. It doesn't help that Fisher is now out of the picture, too. His sense of entitlement has jumped leaps and bounds this year having had his best career averages increase and his first All-Star game.

fumanstan
03-28-12, 10:12 AM
Believing that behavior has anything to do with Mike Brown is just letting whatever other Mike Brown dislike you have get to you :shrug:

Aphex Twin
03-28-12, 05:55 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XdJYj2X_-wc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fumanstan
03-28-12, 06:14 PM
Good reason to keep him out, I suppose :lol:

argh923
03-28-12, 07:44 PM
Bynum's remarks to reporters were even more ridiculous last night. He said that Brown was upset about the three, and didn't want him shooting 3's. A reporter asked if he was going to keep shooting 3's, and he said "Yeah, definitely, I'd like to. Expand my game."

What? So basically you openly defy your coach? Wilbon had it dead on...he shoots another three, bench him for the season. Not to mention Kobe said he "understood" Bynum. Brown is a dead man walking already, and it's pathetic.