Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

mcnabb
02-01-12, 09:17 AM
Why would I use non-NBA standards? ;)

It was a dead weekend for sports, so Sportscenter needed to fill the clock with something the past couple of days. I think even they knew that a 20 minute segment talking about how this is the best, most intriguing, superbowl matchup of all time was stretching it.

The 2 stories they will milk (ala Brett Favre coming out of retirement or where will Lebron play next year...) will be "Will Peyton Manning retire?" and "Where will Dwight Howard go before the trade deadline?"

I remember reading during the NFL playoffs, ESPN mentioned Tim Tebow 163 times one day, and thats not counting reruns of Sportscenter!!

:lol:

starman9000
02-01-12, 09:25 AM
Oh, monday will also be pretty absurd no matter who wins or how they play. (something like, is Tom Brady the best of all time vs. is Eli better than his brother and is he top 5?)

Anyway, I'm loving this condensed season of basketball, it's much more watchable for me (well, that and the fact that the Wolves are at least fun for a change)

Goat3001
02-01-12, 09:29 AM
ESPN is bad for you. It's never too late to quit. I haven't watched Sportscenter in 2 years and I swear the grass is greener, the sky is bluer and the air is fresher.

starman9000
02-01-12, 09:50 AM
:lol: I know, I almost never watch it, but had flipped over just to see if they had anything on the Wolves game. Thankfully they at least put what they are going to talk about on the side now, so you can quickly verify how big a waste of time it will be to watch.

mcnabb
02-01-12, 10:25 AM
ESPN is bad for you. It's never too late to quit. I haven't watched Sportscenter in 2 years and I swear the grass is greener, the sky is bluer and the air is fresher.

I stopped watching Sportscenter a few years ago (Thanks to creation of the NBA, MLB, NFL and NHL Networks), but its still fun to peak at what they are talking about so I can get a chuckle :lol:

During the NFL Playoffs, I used to turn on ESPN, and say to myself, "I guarantee they are talking about Tebow." And I was right about 90% of the time as they would have two of their idiot pundits yelling at each other pro and con side of Tebow!

fumanstan
02-01-12, 10:25 AM
I know 5'11" might be little in NBA standards but c'mon... Little guy? :lol:

Let the hate go. ;)

You're really stretching there.

Goat3001
02-01-12, 02:16 PM
I stopped watching Sportscenter a few years ago (Thanks to creation of the NBA, MLB, NFL and NHL Networks), but its still fun to peak at what they are talking about so I can get a chuckle :lol:

During the NFL Playoffs, I used to turn on ESPN, and say to myself, "I guarantee they are talking about Tebow." And I was right about 90% of the time as they would have two of their idiot pundits yelling at each other pro and con side of Tebow!

The bars around me will have sportscenter on around midnight since they usually just leave the TV on after the game. We can't hear it, thank God, but thanks to the sidebar we always know what we're talking about. So if we're there we'll grab 4 or 5 napkins, write a topic on the napkin (based on what we know ESPN likes to annoy us with at the time) and choose one at random and that turns into our drinking game for the next hour. Anytime we see that topic being discussed we chug a beer during that segment.

We always get pissed when we blindly choose "hockey" as our topic.

Larry C.
02-01-12, 03:40 PM
You're really stretching there.

What am I stretching? Lucas?

That's how he is listed on the Bulls site.

fumanstan
02-01-12, 04:13 PM
What am I stretching? Lucas?

That's how he is listed on the Bulls site.

Nah, trying to argue against him being called a little guy.

The Cow
02-01-12, 09:57 PM
And the Sixers keep chugging along. 98-82 over the Bulls.

Decker
02-01-12, 10:40 PM
LeBron scores 24 in the first quarter and the Heat still lose to the Bucks. Strong work, Miami.

mcnabb
02-02-12, 06:51 AM
And the Sixers keep chugging along. 98-82 over the Bulls.

That was probably the biggest win by the 76ers in about 10 years. I still won't read too much into any single game in this compacted season schedule because the Bulls are playing the Knicks tonight. Rose, Boozer, and Noah didn't play one second in the 4th quarter last night, so they essentially waved the white flag when the 76ers led by 20 after 3 quarters. But its still great to beat an elite team in the NBA :)

Its funny for the past 5-6 years I have been talking about the 76ers in work, and nobody has either cared or laughed at me for following them during these down years. I always replied that you always appreciate a team more when their winning when you stick with them when they're bad. (Sort of the way it was being a Phillies fan in the 90's/early 00's before they started winning in 2007.) Now everyone came in to work this morning, "What a great 76ers game last night!"

They're bandwagon fans now, but I'll take it :)

starman9000
02-02-12, 12:19 PM
The Wolves improved defense really has been shitting the bed lately, Indiana was scoring at will last night.

LurkerDan
02-02-12, 12:46 PM
I'm glad that Doug Collins is finally getting some recognition for being a really good coach.

Larry C.
02-02-12, 02:07 PM
LeBron scores 24 in the first quarter and the Heat still lose to the Bucks. Strong work, Miami.

Let me tell you I was going crazy watching this. We were up by almost 20 and completely quit. It was complete BS and its the first time I can remember being really mad watching anything that wasn't a Dolphins game.

Decker
02-02-12, 02:58 PM
I'm glad that Doug Collins is finally getting some recognition for being a really good coach.

I loved this article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1184202/index.htm) on him from SI last April. Really gave me new respect for the guy.

I've copied it below. Warning : It's LONG

April 11, 2011
Sixer Fixer
Upstart Philadelphia's season has been filled with highs—which is good news for coach Doug Collins, who will remember every detail of it, whether he wants to or not
Michael Rosenberg

The 76ers are facing the Heat on a Friday in late March, and Philadelphia coach Doug Collins will remember this game forever. It won't even matter who wins or what happens. Collins remembers almost every game he has ever played or coached.

There are benefits to being a human DVR. The 59-year-old Collins has not asked his video coordinator, Monte Shubik, for a copy of a 76ers game all season. At a recent staff meeting one assistant coach mentioned a loss to the Hawks in which Philly guard Lou Williams missed a dunk, triggering an Atlanta rally. "There was 5:14 on the clock," Collins said matter-of-factly, then recited every play that occurred the rest of the game.

"I don't know why I'm still skeptical," Shubik says, but he was. And so, in the middle of the meeting, Shubik started watching that Hawks-Sixers game on his laptop.

Sure enough, there was 5:14 left when Philadelphia's defensive possession started. The rest happened exactly the way Collins said. The game had been played almost four months earlier.

If you own an NBA team and you want to be instantly relevant, you can either start dating a Kardashian or hire Collins as your coach. In his previous three stops Collins increased the team's wins in his first year by 10 (the Bulls, in 1987), 18 (the Pistons, in '96) and 18 (the Wizards, in 2002). These 76ers might be his finest work yet. They were 27--55 last season. At week's end, with basically the same roster, they were 40--37 and sixth in the Eastern Conference.

Five of their top eight players are 23 or younger, and a sixth, Williams, is 24. They don't have a scorer among the NBA's top 50 or a rebounder in the top 15. What they have is some promising talent, a great attitude and a coach who sees the game in slow motion. Collins has gone deep into his bench, built a tough defense around stopper Andre Iguodala and implored his players not to commit turnovers. Since losing 13 of their first 16 games, they are 35--23.

On this night in Miami, Collins is matched against Erik Spoelstra, 40, who must make do with a normal high-functioning brain. Spoelstra has prepared by watching the Heat's last game on his laptop, some footage from his team's last meeting with the Sixers and five games' worth of scouting video.

Collins does not use a computer. Before every game he watches two hours of the opposing team's defense, but that is pretty much it. "He is probably wasting his mind in this game," Spoelstra says with a laugh. "He could probably be saving a lot of lives in the world of science."

Collins doesn't remember every single play, and sometimes he gets small details wrong. But generally, his recall is uncanny. Collins's friends say he has a photographic memory. Actually, a videographic memory is more accurate, though that just tells you how he remembers all these games.

What really matters, with Doug Collins, is why.

Kathy Collins laughs and says sure, her husband of 37 years has total recall of every game he ever played, "but if I ask him to pick up a gallon of milk ..." Doug admits he forgets that stuff. Half the time, he can't remember what road he is on. Tell him to take a left at the gas station and a right at the Dairy Queen, and he might not notice either. But ask him about the third quarter in Milwaukee in 1977 and he'll take you there in a second.

Collins remembers the things that matter most to him: people, Bible verses and basketball games. Yes, he remembers his kids' basketball games, too. He could peacefully watch his daughter, Kelly, play volleyball and soccer in high school because he didn't understand the nuances of those sports well enough to etch every play in his brain. But ask him about a basketball game he watched Kelly play at Lehigh, or when Chris played for Duke against North Carolina State in 1996 and ... "Duke is down two," Doug says, without hesitation. "Coach K calls a timeout, calls a play: dribble-handoff. Chris is supposed to hand off. He keeps it and takes the shot, and it rattles around about five times and goes in, puts them up one. N.C. State drives down the court and misses a layup. Duke wins—their first conference win. They go on to win eight of 12 and get into the NCAA tournament."

Impressive, right? But you know what would be nice sometimes? The ability to stop remembering.

What if Collins could forget, just for a day, what happened in the 1972 Olympic gold medal game in Munich? That is when he discovered that the game he loved would not always love him back.

With the U.S. trailing 49--48 and seconds remaining, Collins, a 6'6" swingman from Illinois State, showed all the traits that should have made him an Olympic hero forever. Brains: He anticipated a Soviet Union pass and stole it. Toughness: He was undercut on his way to the hoop, landed hard, slid into the basket support and blacked out for a few seconds. Poise: He drained both free throws, even though the scorer's horn went off as he shot the second. The U.S. led 50--49.

What followed was the most famous raw deal in Olympic basketball history. The refs inexplicably gave the Soviets three chances to score as time expired. On the third try they succeeded. Collins spent the night walking around Munich in stunned silence. He and his teammates still haven't accepted their silver medals.

Collins did not know it then, but that moment would epitomize his career. He has led a basketball life full of almosts. When he was a freshman at Benton (Ill.) High, the varsity was loaded. ("We got beat on a last-second shot by Dale Kelley, our only loss of the year," he says. "Three of our guys got in foul trouble.") By the time he was a senior, the team was full of underclassmen, and he could only carry it so far. ("We lost to Mount Vernon in the sectional. I went 12 for 30.")

He played four years at Illinois State, then as the No. 1 pick in the 1973 draft joined the worst team in NBA history: the 9--73 Sixers. Almost immediately he broke his left foot. ("Missed 57 games, played the other 25 with a broken foot, and all I heard was that I was a bust.") In 1977--78, Philadelphia had the best record in the Eastern Conference (55--27) but lost to the 44-win Washington Bullets in the Eastern Conference finals. ("Wes Unseld tipped in a ball at the end to beat us.")

Collins could have been a three-point threat, but the NBA didn't add the arc until his career was about to end. He took only one three, and he missed it. ("It was a hoist at half-court to beat the shot clock.") A knee injury forced him to retire at 29. Two years later, when he should have still been in his prime, the 76ers won the title.

He turned to coaching, and after just three seasons as an assistant at Penn and Arizona State, took over a Chicago team with third-year guard Michael Jordan. Collins was 34. No matter. He was ready.

He would crouch in huddles late in games, loudspeakers blaring overhead, game on the line, and ... improvise. Assistant coaches were in awe. It is a form of genius, but as his longtime friend and assistant, Johnny Bach, says, "That strains the team, too. He is asking them to keep pace with the machine-gun mind."

In Collins's head, games never ended; they kept playing on an endless loop. "Once I started coaching, I couldn't sleep. My mind just wouldn't shut off."

His passion for the game, for his players—for everything—was uncontainable. Collins gave and gave. On the road he took his whole staff to dinner—coaches, video guys, everybody—and picked up the tab. After his Pistons lost in the first round of the 1997 playoffs, Collins called video coordinator George David into his office and wrote him a personal check for roughly $5,000, with no explanation. David demurred. Collins insisted: Take the check. Weeks later David realized Collins had given him a full playoff share out of his own pocket.

One Christmas, Collins decided to thank his lawyer John Langel for being such a good friend. He endowed a full scholarship at Temple's law school in Langel's name. When Collins runs a basketball camp, he knows the names or nicknames of all 250 kids by the second day.

"I want them to feel important," he says.

In Chicago and Detroit, giving was his problem. He couldn't stop. After losses, he would gather his team, pull up a chair and give a detailed breakdown on how it went wrong. Collins was not a big yeller, but as his former player (and current Sixers assistant) Michael Curry says, "It's not so much the yelling as the constant reminding. I think that wears on a guy."

Players would tune him out, and Collins was hurt. If he was so desperate to give, why were they so reluctant to take?

"It's not necessarily reflective of me," he says. "But when you're a fixer ... I think I'm a wound healer. If my wife were to not be happy on a particular day, I immediately think, Is it something that I've done? I always wanted players to be engaged. I want guys to be happy. I want people in my life to be happy. That makes me happy. And when people aren't happy, it's like, Well, how can I help them be happy?"

Collins's need to make everybody happy all the time meant that in the end, nobody ever really was. The year before he took over the Bulls, they had won 30 games. By his third season they were in the conference finals. Then they fired him. "I think they felt my style and my intensity, I guess my emotion ... that I [am not] the man they need to coach this team now," he said at the time.

In 1995 Collins took over the Pistons. After he led them to 46 wins, their second-leading scorer, shooting guard Allan Houston, left as a free agent, and they figured to take a step back. Instead, Detroit won 54 under Collins. By the middle of the next season, with the team reeling at 21--24, he was fired again.

Meanwhile, the man who replaced him in Chicago—his former assistant Phil Jackson—would win six championships with his old team. Collins started telling people that if he ever wrote an autobiography, he'd call it, Always a Winner, But Never a Champion.

Still, he gave. He was vacationing on Hilton Head Island when the 76ers won the title. He cheered. His family didn't ask him much about the Olympics "because it's too hurtful," Chris says. "There's anger there." But every four years reporters would want to talk to him about it, and every four years Collins would answer their questions. When he was an announcer on Bulls playoff broadcasts, he told viewers that Jackson was the perfect coach for that team.

For 20 years he was one of the great color commentators in sports, appealing to both casual fans and experts. (Spoelstra says even coaches learned about the game from listening to Collins.) Two years ago Collins was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame—as a broadcaster. It was well-deserved, and also fitting. They did not induct him for his playing career or his coaching record. They inducted him for his ability to see the game.

When the 76ers called Collins last summer, Kathy and the kids told him they would support him if he took the job, under one condition: He had to enjoy it.

And he has. Collins loves his team. He has not had to fine anybody for being late to a practice or bus ride the entire year. "Unheard of," he says. Chris was worried about him coaching such a young group, but Doug prefers it. It gives him a chance to teach players before bad habits become ingrained.

He delegates almost all the defensive strategy to his assistants—they tell him the plan, and he gives his approval.

"Maybe one or two times has he kind of overrode it the whole season," Curry says.

Collins says his assistants have "taken half the workload off of my plate," but really, he shoved half his workload onto theirs. He doesn't want his players overdosing on Doug Collins.

"When I need to say something, I say it," he said. "When they hear my voice, I want it to be important. And I don't want them to hear it too much."

Collins inherited a 20-year-old point guard, Jrue Holiday, who admits, "There was a period where I was just throwing the ball away." Collins harnessed Holiday without slowing him down. Now Collins sees Holiday as a future All-Star, and Holiday says, "There's been times when we've messed up and he handled it well. He says if he was younger, then he would have just killed us. My career is going in the right way because of him, because he's here."

Collins is still a wound healer at heart. He says his team should be a "sanctuary" for his players. He frets about keeping 23-year-old center Marreese Speights on the bench—not so much because of Speights's skills but because "I find him to be one of the nicest guys, one of the most engaging guys, and I don't have the minutes I'd like to get him. Mo Speights is a hell of a guy."

But he also says, "I've learned the one thing you can't do. As much as you would like to be able to change people, you can't. They have to be willing to change themselves."

He changed himself. Oh, his mind is as active as ever—in the summer he does 10 crosswords a day—and losses still chew him up. But now he vents to his coaches instead of his players.

Collins has a reputation as a perfectionist. It isn't quite accurate. "I'm an idealist," he said. "I want things to be right." A perfectionist needs every play to end successfully. An idealist needs every play run properly, to the best of the team's ability—regardless of outcome. Collins can live with missed shots or getting outplayed, but he can't accept a lack of effort and teamwork.

Fans still see the guy with sweat on his brow and anguish on his face. They don't see his favorite Bible verse (Prov. 3:5--6) tattooed on his right breast or the names of his four grandchildren tattooed over his heart, twin reminders of what matters even more than the games. In American sports culture a man is his résumé, but Collins no longer defines himself by what he hasn't accomplished. Now he is comfortable with who he is: never a champion, but always a winner. He says, "The game has been good to me."

When Chris Collins was a boy, his father told him before they played one-on-one, "I will never let you win." Wins were something you earned, and Doug would not cheapen the experience. Doug would beat Chris in driveway games, and Chris would go to his room crying. Chris would come back, and Doug would beat him again.

"I'm so fortunate for that," says Chris, 36, who is now an assistant at Duke. "When I did win, how good that felt."

He smiled.

"And then we never played again."

Now they talk on the phone every day. Doug watches the Blue Devils on TV, calls Chris afterward and runs through every important play, in order, from memory. And when Doug made the Hall of Fame as a broadcaster, Chris was there with a surprise. Chris had worked on Mike Krzyzewski's staff at the 2008 Olympics, and USA Basketball had given all the staffers gold medals. At a family dinner, Chris gave his medal to his father.

"Really, more than anything, that's what's belonged in our house all these years," Chris says. "Because that's something he did earn. He was cheated. That may be the proudest thing I've ever done."

The gold is in Doug's home office, along with the six watches that Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf gave him after each Bulls championship. As it turns out, Collins is not the only one who remembers. The Bulls fired him, but in 2008 they nearly rehired him. (He and Reinsdorf decided not to risk their friendship by working together again.) The Pistons fired him, but in 2009 they nearly hired him again. Jordan supposedly tired of Collins's overbearing ways, but in 2001 he hired Collins to coach him in Washington. Now the 76ers, Collins's old team, gave him a four-year contract to revitalize the franchise.

"I honestly believe there is something far greater than basketball that brought me back here," he says. "I don't know what it is yet."

Maybe it's the chance to live near his daughter and her husband and two sons. Maybe he is supposed to reconnect with the city where he played.

Maybe he is there to watch his young 76ers lead the Heat for most of a Friday night in late March, only to lose to a more talented team.

Or maybe the answer came when Philadelphia started 3--13. It was a brutal stretch, as Collins would be the first to tell you. There was a loss to the Thunder: "We're within three. We give up a lob to [Russell] Westbrook with one second on the shot clock, with 2½ minutes to go in the game." To the Wizards: "We give up a three, and they go ahead and beat us in overtime." To Washington again: "We're up three, miss two free throws, we foul them shooting a half-court three, they make all three, we lose in overtime." To the Raptors: "It's a tie game, [Andrea] Bargnani scores to put 'em up two. We go dead in the water and can't score."

Down in Durham, N.C., Chris was thinking, "Man, I don't know how much of this he'll be able to take." But in Philadelphia, Doug decided the 76ers were playing winning basketball. They just weren't winning. He slept well.

JumpCutz
02-02-12, 07:15 PM
Without hyperbole, Shaq is the worst NBA analyst I've ever seen or heard in my life. Horrendous. :eek:

fumanstan
02-02-12, 07:50 PM
No surprise, but the NBA All-Star starters.

Eastern Conference
F -- Carmelo Anthony, New York
F -- LeBron James, Miami
C -- Dwight Howard, Orlando
G -- Derrick Rose, Chicago
G -- Dwyane Wade, Miami
Head coach: TBD
Western Conference
F -- Blake Griffin, L.A. Clippers
F -- Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City
C -- Andrew Bynum, L.A. Lakers
G -- Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers
G -- Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers

So... who are your reserves?

starman9000
02-02-12, 07:54 PM
The nerve of Kevin Durant. :mad:

Decker
02-02-12, 08:08 PM
No surprise, but the NBA All-Star starters.

Eastern Conference
F -- Carmelo Anthony, New York
F -- LeBron James, Miami
C -- Dwight Howard, Orlando
G -- Derrick Rose, Chicago
G -- Dwyane Wade, Miami
Western Conference
F -- Blake Griffin, L.A. Clippers
F -- Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City
C -- Andrew Bynum, L.A. Lakers
G -- Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers
G -- Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers

So... who are your reserves?
West:
Russell Westbrook, G, Oklahoma City
Ricky Rubio, G, Minnesota
Tony Parker, G, San Antonio
Dirk Nowitzki, F, Dallas
Kevin Love, F, Minnesota
LaMarcus Aldridge, F, Portland
Marc Gasol, C, Memphis

I don't follow the East nearly as closely.

fujishig
02-02-12, 08:13 PM
It's still amazing to me how popular Griffin is, that he'd supplant guys like Dirk.. I wonder if he would've beat Carmelo if Carmelo was still in the West.

From http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7480261/los-angeles-lakers-los-angeles-clippers-dominate-all-star-voting:
The Clippers have had only four All-Stars since 1987: Griffin (2011), Chris Kaman (2010), Elton Brand (2002, 2006) and Danny Manning (1993, 1994). They have never had two in the same year and have not had an All-Star starter since World B. Free in 1980.

7 reserves, right?
West:
Westbrook
Nash (leads the league in assists)
Love
Gasol
Dirk (his current stats are horrid for him, but I can't imagine him not getting picked)
Aldridge

Not sure who the 7th is (maybe Nene or Gasol), but man where are the SGs?

East:
Deron
Rondo
Bosh
a 76er, but which one?
a Hawk, but which one (Johnson? Smith?)
I would think at least one of the other 'big 4' in Boston, but maybe not
Amare?

I dunno, the East is a lot hazier to me. Man that USA Olympics roster is going to be a killer to get on.

koops
02-02-12, 08:16 PM
Best of LA vs Eastern seaboard... yawn.

mcnabb
02-02-12, 08:39 PM
Without hyperbole, Shaq is the worst NBA analyst I've ever seen or heard in my life. Horrendous. :eek:

Every week, Charles and Kenny just shake their heads at some of his opinions. Shaq listed his reserves and had Mo Willaims over Russell Westbrook in the West, and even Ernie Johnson was looking at him like, 'Are you serious???"

It was funny tonight when Barkley called out Lebron's hairline. "Lebron, ya know I love ya, but that headband aint hiding the fact that you're growing bald!" Then Kenny Smith said that the headband gets bigger and bigger every year!

Best sportshow on TV :)

Decker
02-02-12, 09:14 PM
Plus C Webb seems to have taken Larry David's advice about glasses to heart. :up:

Decker
02-02-12, 10:09 PM
It's a joy to watch Derrick Rose play basketball.

Goat3001
02-02-12, 10:14 PM
It's a joy to watch Derrick Rose play basketball.

He's unreal. Knicks playing well tonight, which is nice. But Rose is playing like Derrick Rose. It's not fair.

dsa_shea
02-02-12, 11:04 PM
Knicks need a PG and likely win tonight's game with a decent one.

LurkerDan
02-02-12, 11:30 PM
when does Baron Davis start playing? And will he be decent when he does? :lol:

Goat3001
02-03-12, 10:17 AM
Knicks need a PG and likely win tonight's game with a decent one.

I agree. But if the Knicks can play like that every night they'd be a top 5 team in the east. They'd beat up on the lesser teams and play the good teams tough, which is where most of us expected them to be this season.

fumanstan
02-03-12, 03:08 PM
Clippers look like they're getting Kenyon Martin.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7537443/los-angeles-clippers-agree-kenyon-martin-source-says

Seems like a good move for a decent backup.

JumpCutz
02-03-12, 09:23 PM
76ers get crushed at home by the Heat. 99-79. They don't have enough to play with the big boys in the East. Just yet. Still could probably be a top 4 seed though.

starman9000
02-03-12, 10:07 PM
Why is Howard OK with going to the Nets?

JumpCutz
02-03-12, 11:25 PM

New arena in Brooklyn, uber rich owner, Deron Williams, huge market, Jay-Z, -wink-....
Even with Dwight/Deron they are a couple of players away from competing for a title though.

fumanstan
02-03-12, 11:44 PM
Hubie Brown sucks.

Arpeggi
02-04-12, 12:04 AM

Because he's a frontrunning loser.

Mark my words: Dwight Howard will never win an NBA championship.

fumanstan
02-04-12, 01:00 AM
How would the Nets be front running?

fumanstan
02-04-12, 01:15 AM
I love the video review of the out of bounds play when its clear that Nene is fouling Bynum over and over. Or the play before where the ball is out of bounds on Kobe but Aflalo is running him over. A couple of tipped balls that favored Denver too that I thought should have been Laker ball. :mad:

Big win on the road though for the Lakers.

devilshalo
02-04-12, 02:26 AM
Refs tried their best to give the game to the Nuggets.

mcnabb
02-04-12, 07:55 AM
76ers get crushed at home by the Heat. 99-79. They don't have enough to play with the big boys in the East. Just yet. Still could probably be a top 4 seed though.

Yeah, they were hanging with the Heat for 3 quarters (down by 4 after 3 quarters), and then Lebron/Wade took over in the 4th and we didn't have an answer.

It will always be a superstar league, and in crunchtime superstars take over the game. I will continue to believe its the Heat and Bulls in the East and then everyone else, as I see my 76ers as a 3,4,or 5 seed. I originally said before the season as long as they win a round I'll be happy, and haven't changed my expectations :)

dsa_shea
02-04-12, 11:51 AM
Rumor is that Dolan will fire D'Antoni before Super Bowl Sunday. I guess we will see if that rumor is true. It is also expected that Woodson will take over from the bench.

Dean Kousoulas
02-04-12, 11:57 AM
If the Nets beat the Knicks tonight, I would consider him a goner too.

JumpCutz
02-04-12, 12:42 PM
Speaking of Howard, according to Hoopsworld, the Lakers have been told they are out and Dwight is forcing his way to the Nets.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-howard-forcing-his-way-to-nets?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nba-pm-howard-forcing-his-way-to-%20nets

Decker
02-04-12, 01:48 PM
That might be the nail in the Lakers' coffin.

Arpeggi
02-04-12, 02:59 PM
Speaking of Howard, according to Hoopsworld, the Lakers have been told they are out and Dwight is forcing his way to the Nets.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-howard-forcing-his-way-to-nets?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nba-pm-howard-forcing-his-way-to-%20nets

:up:

dsa_shea
02-04-12, 03:46 PM
Howard is proving more and more each game that he is less of a team player and more about his game.

The Cow
02-04-12, 04:33 PM
That might be the nail in the Lakers' coffin.

The Lakers need a decent PG more, they don't need Dwight.

DJariya
02-04-12, 06:15 PM

Unfortunately they aren't going to get one the rest of this season. They are stuck with Fish until he hangs up his sneakers (hopefully at the end of this season)

Goat3001
02-04-12, 10:17 PM
Jeremy Lin just saved D'Antonis job for one more night.

Goat3001
02-04-12, 10:21 PM

I think Howard will be a Net eventually but Otis Smith should ask for a Godfather offer here. Don't let the Nets lowball you. Even as a Knicks fan I didn't like what Melo did or what CP3 did. Stand up to these players. Let him go to the Nets but only if you're happy with what you get in return. If you don't like it than make Dwight leave 30 mil on the table.

dsa_shea
02-04-12, 10:26 PM
Jeremy Lin just saved D'Antonis job for one more night.

Hope not! Good job Lin and hopefully bye, bye for D'Antoni. I'm still wondering why they haven't changed the Nets name to the New Jersey Williams.

PopcornTreeCt
02-05-12, 10:59 AM
Howard is more about moving to a big market and expanding his brand than he is about winning. I also think he's handled this whole thing classless. Everyone rips on Lebron but looking back on it he did it better than both Carmelo and Dwight. I also think Orlando should likely not trade him for anyone on the Nets. Just free up the cap space and working on rebuilding and getting new players with the money you save.

fumanstan
02-05-12, 11:06 AM
I don't see how Lebron did anything better.

Mr. Cinema
02-05-12, 12:44 PM
They should trade for Chris Paul. Oh wait....

PopcornTreeCt
02-05-12, 02:01 PM
I don't see how Lebron did anything better.

He never told his team he wanted to stay.

fumanstan
02-05-12, 02:07 PM
He never told his team he wanted to stay.

Instead he just led them to believe they had a chance and then embarrassed the team and city on TV, leaving Cleveland with nothing. Yeah, much better :lol:

PopcornTreeCt
02-05-12, 04:38 PM
In my eyes it is better. Holding a team ransom, telling them that they will only sign with x teams is really, really shitty. At least Lebron put all the negativity on himself whereas Dwight still wants to remain chummy with Orlando fans and put the blame on the Magic. That's why I think Lebron did it better. He made himself the bad guy and Cleveland management didn't get blamed.

fumanstan
02-05-12, 04:48 PM
I don't think he's holding the team ransom at all, its his right to be a free agent at the end of the year, and its his right to not sign an extension with a team he doesn't care for. It's the Magic's choice then on what to do with him, and other team's choice if they want to take the risk and trade for him anyway. I think it's far better knowing ahead of time that he won't re-sign so that Orlando has options. Free agency is a good thing :shrug:

I don't really see how Orlando's management is getting blamed for anything, other then not getting better players to surround Dwight, which is no different from the situations in Cleveland, Denver, or New Orleans.

dsa_shea
02-05-12, 05:39 PM
Or you could be like Pujols and say that you love the town you play in to then bolt over a few million dollars more and some guy you just met rubbing your back and stroking your ego until it spurts.

PopcornTreeCt
02-05-12, 11:07 PM
I don't think he's holding the team ransom at all, its his right to be a free agent at the end of the year, and its his right to not sign an extension with a team he doesn't care for. It's the Magic's choice then on what to do with him, and other team's choice if they want to take the risk and trade for him anyway. I think it's far better knowing ahead of time that he won't re-sign so that Orlando has options. Free agency is a good thing :shrug:

I don't really see how Orlando's management is getting blamed for anything, other then not getting better players to surround Dwight, which is no different from the situations in Cleveland, Denver, or New Orleans.

I see what you're saying but right now he's still on the Magic and publicly speaking about other teams he would rather be playing, it's killing Orlando's season. None of his teammates are listening to him now.

starman9000
02-06-12, 01:08 PM
Love is suspended for 2 games for his stomping of Scola.

Sucks that it's in 2 games that they'd have a shot at winning, just when they finally got back to .500.

DJariya
02-06-12, 01:10 PM
Mike Brown is suspended for tonight's game vs the 76ers.

I'm guessing that John Kuester will be coaching tonight since he has NBA Head Coaching experience.

Goat3001
02-06-12, 01:12 PM
Unfortunate loss for the Stoudemire family. Amar'e won't be at tonight's game.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7546146/brother-new-york-knicks-amare-stoudemire-dies-car-crash

Apparently neither Stoudemire brother can drive.

fujishig
02-06-12, 01:40 PM
I see what you're saying but right now he's still on the Magic and publicly speaking about other teams he would rather be playing, it's killing Orlando's season. None of his teammates are listening to him now.

It's still early, but let's look at the teams:

The Shaq(Orlando)/Lebron way:
Old team gets a final year as a top team before their big guns leave for free agency. The player's new teams become instant championship contenders, while the old teams become a shell of their former shelf (1st round loss for Magic, worst team in the league for Cleveland).

Orlando became a middling team led by a broken down Penny, then a broken down Grant Hill + Tmac, and it took the luck of the lottery to get them out of that. Cleveland also got the luck of the lottery by trading with the Clippers but will still be years away from contention.

The Melo method:

After half a year of distraction, Denver got back enough from New York that they're actually better than they were before the trade ,and you could argue New York is a little worse right now.

So I still think as a fan of the team you want to get something back for Howard, both because it will help your team and because it will hinder Howard from winning right away... :)

Michael T Hudson
02-06-12, 08:21 PM
I figured Kobe would pass Shaquille tonight I just did not think it would be in the first half. :lol:

nickdawgy
02-06-12, 09:24 PM
So the Lakers were up by 7 with three minutes left and lose by 5?

Wow.

mcnabb
02-06-12, 09:28 PM
Big win for my 76ers over the Lakers tonight! Although Bynum was a beast on the boards against us tonight, as he had to have around 20 rebounds! Kobe went off in the first half with 25 points, but was quiet in the 2nd half.

We're 4-1 so far on our '7 games against 7 elite teams' swing, so if we can split against the Spurs and Clippers, I will be very happy with a 5-2 record.

And I haven't heard the 76ers fans cheering 'Beat LA' since the early 80's :)

Michael T Hudson
02-06-12, 09:36 PM
So the Lakers were up by 7 with three minutes left and lose by 5?

Wow.

SCORING
Lead Changes: 16
Times Tied: 9

It was a tight game.

Goat3001
02-06-12, 11:09 PM
If Jeremy Lin isn't proof positive how awesome it is to be a Knick than I don't know what is.

fumanstan
02-06-12, 11:14 PM
Kobe shot the Lakers out of the game :sad:

:up: to Lin. Go asian american! :)

bootsy
02-07-12, 12:03 AM
Big win for my 76ers over the Lakers tonight! Although Bynum was a beast on the boards against us tonight, as he had to have around 20 rebounds! Kobe went off in the first half with 25 points, but was quiet in the 2nd half.

We're 4-1 so far on our '7 games against 7 elite teams' swing, so if we can split against the Spurs and Clippers, I will be very happy with a 5-2 record.

That was real nice brought back memories to the 80s and those battles with the Lakers and Celtics. Iggy's defense on Kobe was also nice in the 2nd half. I'll also take 5-2 because that was above what I expected of 4-3. As good as we are playing we should beat both the Spurs and Clippers.

anxi80
02-07-12, 01:02 AM
Being reported that Billups may have tore his Achilles. MRI tomorrow. It's already being questioned if this is a career ender (35 y/o).

CBS Sports: Chauncey Billups tore Achilles, done for season? (http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/34734624?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001)

PopcornTreeCt
02-07-12, 02:27 AM
The Sixers look for real this season.

JumpCutz
02-07-12, 03:03 AM
The Sixers look for real this season.

Yup, they look good enough to lose in the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals. :thumbsup:

davidh777
02-07-12, 03:11 AM
duplicate

davidh777
02-07-12, 03:11 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017426859_arena05m.html

Originally published February 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Seattle sports-arena talks well under way, documents show

Emails and documents released by the city show that there's a far more focused effort to bring an NBA team back to Seattle and build a new arena than previously known.

By Steve Miletich and Lynn Thompson

Seattle Times staff reporters

A wealthy San Francisco hedge-fund manager and officials in the Seattle mayor's office have been working behind the scenes for eight months to bring an NBA team back to the city as early as next fall and build a new arena, according to emails and documents that reveal a far more concerted effort than previously known.

A Dec. 13 agenda for a meeting between the parties shows they were talking about details such as a "Review of Basic Deal Structure," "Financing Issues," including "City Debt Capacity," and "Security for Public Financing."

The documents, released Friday to The Seattle Times under a public-disclosure request, also provide the first glimpse of how the largely unknown hedge-fund manager, 44-year-old Seattle native Christopher Hansen, approached the city about his desire to buy an NBA team and build an arena south of Safeco Field.

In an initial email laying out his vision, Hansen told city officials an arena could be built with minimal impact on taxpayers.

"Thanks for spending the time today guys," Hansen wrote in a June 16 email to Julie McCoy, chief of staff to Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn, and Ethan Raup, the mayor's director of policy and operations.

"I really appreciate it and look forward to making this happen in Seattle," wrote Hansen, a multimillionaire who built a fortune in the private investment world. "I genuinely mean that and am confident that with a little effort and creativity we can find a solution that meets our needs and the City's /State's desire to get a team back to Seattle without a large public outlay."

Hansen offered to provide information on "recent municipal arena deals that have been put together and some of the direct and indirect contributions that the city can make that don't require incremental taxes or direct public funding."

Those issues were on the table at the key Dec. 13 meeting, which was attended by McCoy and Raup and set up by Carl Hirsh, a New Jersey arena consultant hired by the city in July.

It was held at the law offices of Foster Pepper, one of Seattle's prominent law firms. An attorney with the firm, Hugh Spitzer, had been hired by the city in September to provide advice on selling construction bonds.

The agenda also included discussion of KeyArena, where the Seattle Sonics played before owner Clay Bennett moved the team to Oklahoma City in 2008 after failing to secure a new arena. Bennett said KeyArena lacked amenities to support an NBA franchise.

No details were listed on the agenda, but KeyArena could be used as a temporary home for a new team with the permission of the NBA, which considered it an unsuitable permanent venue even before the Sonics departed.

Kings up for grabs?

Although the documents don't mention how Seattle would obtain a team, they show the city has been following developments in Sacramento, which is under a March 1 deadline to come up with a viable proposal to build an arena for the Sacramento Kings. In September, Hirsh emailed a copy of an Associated Press story to Raup that outlined the Sacramento situation.

If Sacramento fails, the Kings could be playing in Seattle next fall if the city and Hansen reach an agreement, according to a Seattle City Hall source who has been briefed on the matter.

In addition, National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman has expressed a strong interest in placing a team in Seattle, leading to widespread speculation that the financially struggling Phoenix Coyotes could be moved here.

Bettman, speaking after a board of governors meeting in Ottawa last week, said the league hopes to find a buyer before the end of the season to keep the Coyotes in the Phoenix area, according to news reports. "I don't see any reason to discuss a Plan B at this point," he said.

But, according to ESPN.com, Bettman said, "There are a lot of people who think Seattle would be a great place to have a team. The Pacific Northwest, the natural rivalry with Vancouver, another team in the Pacific time zone ... but there's no building."

Seattle has been mentioned as an NHL destination along with Kansas City and Quebec City.

While many observers consider an NHL team, as well as concerts and entertainment events, to be a crucial component for the financial success of a new arena, the documents obtained by The Times focus on basketball.

The last item listed on the Dec. 13 agenda was, "Terms for Consideration from Development Team."

No final offer from Hansen's group has been presented to the city. Hansen heads Valiant Capital Management LLC, but his effort is said to be a personal endeavor.

McGinn said Saturday he is taking the proposal "very seriously," but doesn't want the city to be left "holding the bag."

He said he couldn't predict the timing for the next step.

"It's a pretty substantial commitment that would have to be made by the investors," McGinn said, emphasizing that the city budget can't be tapped to fund an arena.

Voters have spoken

McGinn said the offer also must honor the will of Seattle's voters, who in 2006 overwhelmingly approved an initiative that says the city must make a profit on any investment it makes in a sports arena. McGinn noted that he voted for the initiative.

Hansen, a 1986 graduate of Roosevelt High School with deep roots in the city, has not publicly spoken about his plans.

But in his June 16 email, Hansen referred Seattle officials to an aide who would be willing to talk about arena deals in other cities, identifying the representative as Dave Perez.

On June 18, Perez wrote to McCoy and Raup that he was "eager to spend some time with you guys discussing recent PPP solutions that have been used to deliver sports facilities," an apparent reference to public-private partnerships.

The documents don't provide a breakdown of how the partnership would work, but the public end could include admission taxes and increased tax collections tied to a boost in Sodo property values. Some fiscal-analysis materials were withheld from The Times by the city as confidential. McGinn said no new tax source would be used to fund an arena, while acknowledging the city already collects admissions and property taxes.

Hansen has acquired property south of Safeco Field's parking garage, between South Massachusetts and South Holgate streets east of First Avenue South, records show.

While sources have previously said at least one business owner has declined to sell, the issue of the city using its power of eminent domain to acquire the land is no longer a concern of Hansen's group, Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes said during a recent interview with The Times editorial board.

Holmes did not elaborate, but his comments suggest Hansen's representatives have reached some sort of agreements.

Hirsh, managing partner of Stafford Sports LLC, who has extensive experience with arena deals, has estimated the cost of building a state-of-the art facility at about $400 million.

City Councilmember Richard Conlin said intense public scrutiny would be given to any arena proposal and that the investment group must be willing to vet its plans with the public.

"They're going to have to expect a lot of publicity in the final stages," Conlin said.

Councilmember Nick Licata, a vocal critic of previous stadium deals that involved public financing, said he'd support a plan to build a new arena that provided the city with a return on its investment as required by the 2006 initiative.

McGinn has said that once the city receives a firm proposal, it will open discussions with the City Council.

Eyes on Sacramento

What happens in Sacramento could drive the process.

Sacramento is attempting to secure the financing to build a new downtown arena for the Kings, who have played since 1988 in what is now known as Power Balance Pavilion, formerly Arco Arena. At 17,317 capacity, it is the smallest arena in the NBA and is also one of the oldest, and lacks many of the revenue-generating amenities of new arenas.

The Kings are owned by Joe and Gavin Maloof, who have run into some well-documented financial issues in recent years, specifically concerning their investment in the Palms Casino in Las Vegas, and they are pressing for a new arena to be built immediately or to relocate the team somewhere it will make more money.

The Kings almost moved to Anaheim last season before NBA Commissioner David Stern stepped in and said the city should be allowed more time to try to keep the team. Given that the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers already play in the Southern California market, the owners of those teams might balk at a competitor.

The Kings are an original member of the NBA, which dates to 1949, and are one of the most well-traveled, having played in Rochester, N.Y.; Cincinnati; and Kansas City-Omaha before Sacramento.

Under the NBA's March 1 deadline for Sacramento to present a viable financing plan, a new arena would be located at the downtown rail yards at a cost of roughly $400 million. The city has proposed to raise about $200 million by leasing the rights to the city's parking spaces for 50 years.

On Friday, the city announced the names of 13 companies that have submitted proposals to win those rights. The city is expected on Feb. 14 to present to the City Council the proposals it considers the most viable. It also has been expected that a proposed arena builder would donate roughly $50 million to the project.

The Kings are struggling on the court, with a losing record, and attendance has suffered, with its average of 14,267 per game through Feb. 3 ranking 26th among 30 teams.

mcnabb
02-07-12, 06:54 AM
Yup, they look good enough to lose in the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals. :thumbsup:

As a 76ers fan I would have to agree with you, I just dont see this team beating the Bulls or Heat in a 7 game series in the Conference Semifinals. They definitely match up with the Bulls better as they have beaten them 3 out of the last 4 games, but they can't beat the Heat at all as they lost in 5 games last year in the playoffs, and lost both games this year.

PopcornTreeCt
02-07-12, 10:43 AM
But none of the teams look as good as the Heat so that's okay.

Decker
02-07-12, 11:08 AM

They weren't cheering that when they played the Lakers in the Finals in 2001? Did they just know that they had no shot of winning a game at home?

CRM114
02-07-12, 11:11 AM

I had to explain that chant to my daughter.

mcnabb
02-07-12, 11:32 AM
They weren't cheering that when they played the Lakers in the Finals in 2001? Did they just know that they had no shot of winning a game at home?

We won Game 1 and lost game 2 in LA and then the Lakers took all 3 at Philly to clinch the title.

We never had a chance to chant it cause we never lead in Game 3, 4, 5

:(

DJariya
02-07-12, 01:26 PM
Really sucks what happened to Chauncey Billups last night. Luckily the Clippers still have Mo Williams.

fujishig
02-07-12, 02:34 PM
Really sucks what happened to Chauncey Billups last night. Luckily the Clippers still have Mo Williams.

Who's going to start at SG?

DJariya
02-07-12, 06:31 PM
Chauncey Billups is officially done for the season with a ruptured Achilles.

mcnabb
02-07-12, 06:37 PM
Really sucks what happened to Chauncey Billups last night.

Is this the Clippers Curse again?

bootsy
02-07-12, 07:41 PM

If they do fine. That's a step in the right direction. I'd be more than happy with that at this stage. A playoff series win. The Sixers are a very young team and should get better. Anything beyond the ECSF will be an added bonus.

bootsy
02-07-12, 07:41 PM

And this has what to do with last night.-rolleyes-

The Cow
02-07-12, 07:50 PM
And this has what to do with last night.-rolleyes-

They were chanting "Beat LA" when they played. He was wondering why they didn't chant that when they met in the finals in 2001. Try and keep up.

bootsy
02-07-12, 08:28 PM
They were chanting "Beat LA" when they played. He was wondering why they didn't chant that when they met in the finals in 2001. Try and keep up.

Really I had no idea.-rolleyes- I know what he meant. A little special aren't we. My point is 2001 has nothing to do with last night. Should I go back to 1983 NBA Finals too. Hopefully you are able to figure out what I'm typing in this post so I don't have to break it down for you anymore. Got it now? I think you're the one that needs to keep up.

fujishig
02-07-12, 08:31 PM
Just for bootsy, since he's too lazy to go back a page:

We won Game 1 and lost game 2 in LA and then the Lakers took all 3 at Philly to clinch the title.

We never had a chance to chant it cause we never lead in Game 3, 4, 5

:(

The Cow
02-07-12, 08:38 PM
Really I had no idea.-rolleyes- I know what he meant. Good Lord. My point is 2001 has nothing to do with last night. Should I go back to 1983 NBA Finals too. Hopefully you are able to figure out what I'm typing in this post so I don't have to break it down for you anymore. Got it now?
Somebody said they hadn't chanted that since the 80s, he was wondering why as they did meet in the Finals previously. It was came up because they did chant in the last game with LA because and they haven't done it in so long, so it was a discussion point. He was just simply asking a question why they didn't in the finals, which was nicely answered.

He didn't say they were relevant game-wise, like you seem to be implying.

bootsy
02-07-12, 08:51 PM
Somebody said they hadn't chanted that since the 80s, he was wondering why as they did meet in the Finals previously. It was came up because they did chant in the last game with LA because and they haven't done it in so long, so it was a discussion point. He was just simply asking a question why they didn't in the finals, which was nicely answered.

He didn't say they were relevant game-wise, like you seem to be implying.

OMG dude, give it up already. I understood what he meant. I was watching the game last night. My point was 2001 had nothing to do with the chant last night and beating the Lakers. It just sounded like sour grapes to bring up a Finals 1 years ago. Again should I go back to 1983 Finals.

The Cow
02-07-12, 08:52 PM

Nobody said it did have anything to do with the 2001 Finals.

If you read sour grapes into that, that's on you.

bootsy
02-07-12, 08:57 PM

Nobody said it did have anything to do with the 2001 Finals.

If you read sour grapes into that, that's on you.

Really? You are clueless and have been from the very beginning.

bootsy
02-07-12, 09:00 PM
Just for bootsy, since he's too lazy to go back a page:

I read all that why do you think I responded to it. Again another person that needs to practice what they preach about being too lazy. That would fit you. You and your buddy The Cow getting your panties in a bunch over nothing.

The Cow
02-07-12, 09:01 PM
Really? You are clueless and have been from the very beginning.
He was wondering why they didn't chant in 2001, what's wrong with that?

He didn't say it had anything to do with the recent game. He asked a question that came up because of the discussion of the recent game. Not seeing the sour grapes, sorry.

bootsy
02-07-12, 09:05 PM
He was wondering why they didn't chant in 2001, what's wrong with that?

He didn't say it had anything to do with the recent game. He asked a question that came up because of the discussion of the recent game. Not seeing the sour grapes, sorry.

I don't care, I really don't. I'm glad the Sixers won in 2012. Move on.

The Cow
02-07-12, 09:06 PM
Jamison having a good game so far tonight against Miami. :up:

fumanstan
02-07-12, 09:24 PM
I don't think bootsy gets it.

WallyOPD
02-07-12, 09:35 PM
:lol: No kidding, that was a pretty normal conversation that flowed naturally. Not sure why he got all bent out of shape about it.

Decker
02-07-12, 10:11 PM
Wow, I go out to dinner and bootsy has some sort of a brain aneurism over my post. Thanks to Cow and fugishig for explaining exactly why I posted what I did. Bootsy, I'm glad that you're happy that the Sixers won last night. Beating the Lakers away from Staples in the 2012 season puts them in the elite company of Sacramento, Utah and Milwaukee. Congratulations.

Goat3001
02-07-12, 11:05 PM
^where did you go to dinner?

PopcornTreeCt
02-08-12, 12:17 AM
Monta Ellis has 40 through 3 quarters. I'd love a Howard for Ellis and Curry deal.

Decker
02-08-12, 01:56 AM
^where did you go to dinner?
Carl's, Jr. My son's request there.
Monta Ellis has 40 through 3 quarters. I'd love a Howard for Ellis and Curry deal.

I know that was discussed, at least online, in theory but for the life of me I can't see why anyone associated with the Warriors would want to destroy their team and ruin their future for a few months of Dwight Howard. No way that happens, right?

JumpCutz
02-08-12, 03:35 AM
Destroy the Warriors? rotfl :lol:

I'm a Warrior fan.....this team is dreadful. They will never win anything with the roster as presently constituted. But yeah... trading for Howard would be another in a series of bad moves this franchise has made in the last 30+ years. Our big 3 of Curry/Ellis/ Lee won't even get us an 8th seed out West.
New ownership (Lacob/Guber) are fucking clueless. The fan support is unparalleled out here in the Bay Area, but we're grabbing our dick hoping for some visionary to shape our future. Jerry West is on the payroll, yet apparently ownership ignores his input and thinks they "got this". -ohbfrank-

starman9000
02-08-12, 08:04 AM
I was dying for the Wolves to make a deal for Ellis before the draft, I had heard rumors, but have no clue if they were really close.

Sadly, now they really don't have much for trade-able assets. If only we had taken Curry instead of Flynn :(

Anyway, glad they got the win without love last night. Pekovic has really been coming on strong. He really has a soft touch for a big guy. Still, they pretty much shit the bed in the 2nd half and could have easily blown that.

fumanstan
02-08-12, 11:08 AM
Warriors should really trade either Curry or Ellis already. They seem injury prone and not going anywhere with them together.

fujishig
02-08-12, 01:04 PM
Heard the Kobe interview a few days ago where he pretty much said that he's not going to be asking for a trade to chase a ring, if he's going to win another championship it'll be with the Lakers. While anything can happen, that would make him one of the few star players in this era to stay with his team throughout his career. I can see him, Duncan, Nowitski, and eventually Wade doing that. They're already talking about getting rid of Pierce in Boston. Anyone else?

Larry C.
02-08-12, 09:17 PM
Damn the Heat done in by Ryan Anderson and Dwight Howard.

dsa_shea
02-08-12, 09:34 PM
According to reports Dwight Howard didn't even greet the 85 year old owner of the Magic when he came into the locker room. Sad if you ask me.

fumanstan
02-08-12, 09:39 PM
There's a small rumor out there about the Celtics and Lakers swapping Rondo for Gasol....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/NBA-scoop-du-jour/celtics-rajon-rondo-headed-lakers-141626777.html;_ylt=Al8zJMMb2iAgvmvjoq95Etm8vLYF

I emphasize small rumor since I imagine its just speculation, nothing to be taken seriously (yet? :p)

WallyOPD
02-08-12, 09:42 PM
Jeremy Lin for President!

fumanstan
02-08-12, 09:47 PM
Lin :up:

TimeandTide
02-08-12, 10:06 PM
Jeremy Lin for President!

:thumbsup:

Three games in a row of 20+ and a career high 10 assists tonight.

Great story.

dsa_shea
02-08-12, 10:11 PM
Jeremy Lin is singlehandedly helping the Knicks turn their season around without the two superstars.

fumanstan
02-08-12, 11:32 PM
"I'm an easy target; if someone wants to get a point across -- just throw Lebron's name in there," James said. "You could be watching cartoons with your kids and you don't like it, you say, 'Blame it on LeBron.' If you go to the grocery store and they don't have the milk that you like, you just say, 'It's LeBron's fault.' "

I'm ok with this. I blame LeBron for my hernia.

Maxflier
02-09-12, 01:19 AM
Linsanity is sweeping the nation.
All this time the key to the Knicks offensive success has been right under everyone's noses. Aside from his lack of a 3 point shot the guy is perfect for Dantoni's system.

JumpCutz
02-09-12, 02:07 AM
Did Jeremy Lin suddenly get 100x better, or are the Knicks having fun against bad teams w/out their two offensive black holes? :lol:

Lin will come crashing back down to earth real soon. Trust me. -wink-

I watched this turd play with with the Warriors. Enjoy him while you can Knick fans.

fumanstan
02-09-12, 03:20 AM
Turd? Seems pretty harsh for an undrafted rookie that didn't get that much time. Even if you argue the Knicks were playing against bad teams, to put up those numbers in the NBA itself is pretty impressive, let alone in three straight games.

mcnabb
02-09-12, 06:40 AM
I'm ok with this. I blame LeBron for my hernia.

I blame Lebron for Giselle blaming Welker for not catching that ball that Brady threw in the 4th Quarter of the Superbowl!

starman9000
02-09-12, 08:45 AM
Had flashbacks of the previous 5 years with the wolves last night. I mean, Memphis played awful and the Wolves still weren't even close to being competitive.

Arpeggi
02-09-12, 09:03 AM
There's a small rumor out there about the Celtics and Lakers swapping Rondo for Gasol....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/NBA-scoop-du-jour/celtics-rajon-rondo-headed-lakers-141626777.html;_ylt=Al8zJMMb2iAgvmvjoq95Etm8vLYF

I emphasize small rumor since I imagine its just speculation, nothing to be taken seriously (yet? :p)

I'd love a Gasol and crap (crap meaning any player on the roster aside from Kobe and Bynum) for Rondo and Bass trade

mcnabb
02-09-12, 09:11 AM
)

This just doesn't make sense to me, as Gasol is 31 years old? Why the would Celts trade their one young star left for a guy who is over 30?

The only trade rumor I heard before the season was Rondo for Chris Paul.

dsa_shea
02-09-12, 09:14 AM

And that one was destined to stay just a rumor.

Goat3001
02-09-12, 10:07 AM
Right now I'm hearing a lot of rumors on Jeremy Lin for Lebron and Wade. I hope this doesn't happen. Knicks would be getting robbed.

fumanstan
02-09-12, 11:11 AM
This just doesn't make sense to me, as Gasol is 31 years old? Why the would Celts trade their one young star left for a guy who is over 30?

Rondo seems to be in trade rumors every year, so they don't seem interested in building around him. The idea is just one last attempt with their veterans until Pierce is done, I imagine.

Larry C.
02-09-12, 11:46 AM
Right now I'm hearing a lot of rumors on Jeremy Lin for Lebron and Wade. I hope this doesn't happen. Knicks would be getting robbed.

I really hope it happens we'll even throw in Bosh and Chalmers.

So Lin for

Lebron
Wade
Bosh
Chalmers

But you have to take Curry back....... :lol:

fujishig
02-09-12, 07:15 PM
Western all-star reserves:
Kevin Love
LaMarcus Aldridge
Russel Westbrook
Dirk Nowitzki
Tony Parker
Steve Nash
Marc Gasol

So Marc over his brother, and Dirk makes it despite his (valid) protests.

East:
Chris Bosh
Joe Johnson
Roy Hibbert (really?)
Paul Pierce
Deron Williams
Luol Deng (what?)
Andre Iguodala (I guess they needed a 76er, but 13 ppg?)

No Rondo (or did they figure he wants to rest anyway)? Amare's going to be back before the All Star game, right, so he wasn't snubbed because of injury... I'm surprised he didn't take the center spot over Hibbert.

I'll say this for the East... they lack in scoring but that's a great defensive team. Too bad this is the All Star game.

Also end of an era for guys like Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett.

fumanstan
02-09-12, 09:11 PM
The East team definitely seems weak at a glance. There definitely seems to be more borderline guys then there have been before. Go Western Conference!

Michael T Hudson
02-09-12, 10:29 PM
OT n Boston. Nice scoring mix for the Lakers tonight.

The Cow
02-09-12, 10:41 PM
Boston ball with about 6 seconds down by 1.

Edit: Lakers win.

Michael T Hudson
02-09-12, 10:45 PM
Nice block by Gasol to end it.

Decker
02-09-12, 10:49 PM
Nice block by Gasol to end it.

Agreed. That was a VERY heads-up play. So often NBA players will just stand around and watch to see if the shot goes in; it was nice to see Gasoline hustle on defense like that. Almost redeems himself for missing a wide-open, uncontested 8 foot jumper after a great pass from Kobe with about 2 min left in OT. We may never see Kobe pass a ball in crunch time again.

Apple Gooncha
02-10-12, 04:39 AM
:dance: The Kings have won 4 of 5.

They still stink! -smile-

Mr. Cinema
02-10-12, 09:27 AM
OT n Boston. Nice scoring mix for the Lakers tonight.
When Bynum and Gasol are both clicking, they're tough to beat. A better bench and a decent PG would make the Lakers contenders. But those are still glaring weaknesses.

fujishig
02-10-12, 12:18 PM
So Lakers vs. Linsanity tonight. Lin's got a shot at continuing his streak because
a) The Lakers still stink on the road
b) The Lakers still stink at guarding point guards

I mean, at some point, he's gotta come back down to Earth, at least for a game or two, right, it's just a matter of if it's because an elite pg shuts him down or because melo comes back and halts all ball movement.

starman9000
02-10-12, 12:25 PM
It will be interesting to see what the reaction is if that melo scenario does happen. Wolves get the Knicks tomorrow and Rubio is a pretty good defender, but they always seem to let someone have a huge game on the outside (usually a 2/3) has Lin be scoring by driving or all over the court?

superdeluxe
02-10-12, 05:16 PM
http://oi39.tinypic.com/f1xnvd.jpg

superdeluxe
02-10-12, 05:20 PM
Did Jeremy Lin suddenly get 100x better, or are the Knicks having fun against bad teams w/out their two offensive black holes? :lol:

Lin will come crashing back down to earth real soon. Trust me. -wink-

I watched this turd play with with the Warriors. Enjoy him while you can Knick fans.

http://www.thehotglove.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/golden-state-u-mad-597x336.jpg

superdeluxe
02-10-12, 05:23 PM
It will be interesting to see what the reaction is if that melo scenario does happen. Wolves get the Knicks tomorrow and Rubio is a pretty good defender, but they always seem to let someone have a huge game on the outside (usually a 2/3) has Lin be scoring by driving or all over the court?

Dude plays like a young asian Steve Nash. Most of his points are coming off dribble drive penetration.

Larry C.
02-10-12, 05:58 PM
http://oi39.tinypic.com/f1xnvd.jpg

:lol: thats pretty sweet.

bootsy
02-10-12, 05:59 PM
Western all-star reserves:
Kevin Love
LaMarcus Aldridge
Russel Westbrook
Dirk Nowitzki
Tony Parker
Steve Nash
Marc Gasol

So Marc over his brother, and Dirk makes it despite his (valid) protests.

East:
Chris Bosh
Joe Johnson
Roy Hibbert (really?)
Paul Pierce
Deron Williams
Luol Deng (what?)
Andre Iguodala (I guess they needed a 76er, but 13 ppg?)

No Rondo (or did they figure he wants to rest anyway)? Amare's going to be back before the All Star game, right, so he wasn't snubbed because of injury... I'm surprised he didn't take the center spot over Hibbert.

I'll say this for the East... they lack in scoring but that's a great defensive team. Too bad this is the All Star game.

Also end of an era for guys like Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett.

Rondo didn't deserve to make it over DWill. You have to look at what position's are needed and DWill is having a better year than Rondo and Rondo also missed games. I like Rondo but he has never been a better point guard than DWill.

Amare (let me flip this around on you, REALLY?), he has been awful this season. What the heck makes you think he deserves to the make the team. He has played below expectations this year along with his team. If you are going to gripe about Hibbert making it Josh Smith or Tyson Chandler would have been a better example. if you are going to use Rondo and Amare as two examples that got snubbed then the players that made it deserved to make it. Deng, Iggy, Hibbert have all played well on good teams and deserve to be there.

Decker
02-10-12, 08:55 PM
Anyone who thought the Lakers could play well (or even competitively) on back-to-back road games was obviously mistaken.

nickdawgy
02-10-12, 09:07 PM
I bet Kobe knows who Lin is now.

Pharoh
02-10-12, 09:07 PM
Anyone who thought the Lakers could play well (or even competitively) on back-to-back road games was obviously mistaken.

It is out of their hands.

It's Linsanity!

Pharoh
02-10-12, 09:09 PM
Rondo didn't deserve to make it over DWill. You have to look at what position's are needed and DWill is having a better year than Rondo and Rondo also missed games. I like Rondo but he has never been a better point guard than DWill.

Amare (let me flip this around on you, REALLY?), he has been awful this season. What the heck makes you think he deserves to the make the team. He has played below expectations this year along with his team. If you are going to gripe about Hibbert making it Josh Smith or Tyson Chandler would have been a better example. if you are going to use Rondo and Amare as two examples that got snubbed then the players that made it deserved to make it. Deng, Iggy, Hibbert have all played well on good teams and deserve to be there.

I'm biased, but Varejao is the worst omission.

VinVega
02-10-12, 09:16 PM
So far Lin is on fire in the first half. The kid is so humble it's really a great story. The Knicks playing team ball with Amare and Melo out is troubling though.

starman9000
02-10-12, 09:25 PM
Wolves have been pretty awful for about 8 straight quarters, Lin could easily keep rolling tomorrow.

fumanstan
02-10-12, 09:27 PM
I was hoping Lin would have a great game but the Lakers would still win. Doesn't seem likely :sad:

fumanstan
02-10-12, 10:26 PM
Lin is such a turd!

Pharoh
02-10-12, 10:26 PM
Linsanity! Again!

Decker
02-10-12, 10:29 PM
All he does is Lin, Lin, Lin.

He's Linvincible!

Maxflier
02-10-12, 10:52 PM
I bet Kobe knows who Lin is now.

:thumbsup: rotfl
Being a Knicks fan hasn't been this exciting in a looooong time.

stevevt
02-10-12, 10:54 PM
"Yellow Mamba" sign at MSG. Too far?

nickdawgy
02-10-12, 10:57 PM
The last time Kobe played at MSG didn't he break a record? Or was that two years ago?

Anyhow, it seems like the Lakers will win two here, lose two there, win two here lose three here.

I think they make the playoffs but I don't see them going too far without a pick up or two.

Fisher has got to go as the starting PG. Love the guy, but he needs to be coming off the bench.

fujishig
02-10-12, 11:13 PM
I'm biased, but Varejao is the worst omission.

Jeremy Lin is the worst omission. C'mon Stern, injury substitution.

About the Eastern Conference All Star reserves: I admit I haven't followed that conference all that closely (unless I have a player on my fantasy team), so a lot of Rondo/Amare has to do with history and statistics, without the benefit of seeing them play.

Rondo's ppg aren't great but he's second in the league in assists; as for position, the Western Conference chose two pgs as backups, so I don't see what the issue is (Jennings also deserved some consideration). I guess most of my shock is that Hibbert, Deng, and Iggy are averaging 14, 16, and 13 a game, rounding up; just with great defensive numbers (I know Nash and Gasol are both at 15, but Nash leads the league in assists and guard shooting %, and Gasol I don't necessarily agree with either).

I guess it's a weird season, with the shortened schedules, the injuries, and the often uneven play due to fatigue.

Goat3001
02-10-12, 11:22 PM
"Yellow Mamba" sign at MSG. Too far?

Really racist. I'm surprised ESPN showed that. They did pan away from it very quickly.

:thumbsup: rotfl
Being a Knicks fan hasn't been this exciting in a looooong time.

:up: it's been a joy. I'm afraid to see how it'll play out when Melo comes back though. Will Melo completely kill the ball movement or will Lin elevate his play like he's done with everyone else? I'll stay cautiously optimistic, but after watching the Knicks for the last 10 years it's hard to.

RayChuang
02-11-12, 12:36 AM
It's the Tebow effect all over again but with an actually GOOD player. I think Knicks fans are kind of cringing at the thought of Melo and/or Amare returning and ruining all this.... -rolleyes-

WallyOPD
02-11-12, 12:50 AM
I don't think Amare has to ruin anything. He played just fine with Steve Nash for years. Carmelo is a black hole on offense, though.

ComedyTVGuy
02-11-12, 12:56 AM
I don't think Amare has to ruin anything. He played just fine with Steve Nash for years. Carmelo is a black hole on offense, though.

Yes, a guy who refuses to pass and prefers to take all the shots. I believe Melo is returning the next game.

Arpeggi
02-11-12, 01:20 AM
Fuck Derek Fisher.

hahn
02-11-12, 02:55 AM
Wow. Okay, I've been following Lin since he graduated from Harvard and there was a write-up of him in the NY Times and I knew he could be good if given the opportunity, but...this??? Dropping 38 on the Lakers is just unreal, with 7 assists! What's really interesting is that he seems to get better every game. And he keeps proving everyone's criticisms wrong. First, it was that he couldn't defend. Then it was that he couldn't go left. Then it was that he couldn't shoot from mid-range. Then it was that he couldn't hit the 3's. And to top it all off, he keeps composed from the first to the last second of the game. Has ANY NBA player had a comparable first week?

Arpeggi
02-11-12, 09:25 AM
There is nothing jawdropping about dropping 38 on a garbage player like Fisher.

mcnabb
02-11-12, 10:39 AM
I don't watch ESPN anymore, but I GUARANTEE the 'Lin-Sanity' story is the new Tebow story as they will milk this story to death in hyperbole that he is the next Magic Johnson.

And CP3 put a daggar in 20,000 76ers fans last night with his game winning shot!

TimeandTide
02-11-12, 10:45 AM
Has ANY NBA player had a comparable first week?

Read last night that Lin's point total through four games are the most in a player's first four starts since the NBA/ABA merger.

TimeandTide
02-11-12, 10:49 AM

Agreed that Fisher (and Blake on occasion) were way over-matched by Lin, but 38 points in his fourth career start? That's jaw dropping regardless of the opponent.

davidh777
02-11-12, 11:38 AM
^NBA TV said the same thing about the merger, though they said it was for his first three starts (scored 25 off the bench in his first game). Regardless, it's :eek:

hahn
02-11-12, 12:02 PM

So there must be plenty of other PG's who have done it then, like...?

Let's also not forget that Lin was double-teamed for much of the second half, in which he scored 20 and Kobe guarded Lin for the last 6 minutes, during which Lin scored 8. Oh yeah, and that 3 pointer with 7 foot Gasol guarding him. :lol:

dsa_shea
02-11-12, 12:45 PM
I wasn't able to come and gloat a bit last night about the Knicks victory as I had to take my debaters to a tournament but I followed the score on my cell. All I can say is that I am thankful that the Knicks have Lin and that D'Antoni finally let him play a bit and prove himself. It would have been a disaster if the Knicks cut him like they were planning to do before giving him the opportunity. Just a few games under .500 now and I hope that Melo doesn't come back and ruin what is going on.

starman9000
02-11-12, 01:32 PM
I'll only be impressed if Lin scores 70 against the Wolves.

VinVega
02-11-12, 01:45 PM
I wasn't able to come and gloat a bit last night about the Knicks victory as I had to take my debaters to a tournament but I followed the score on my cell. All I can say is that I am thankful that the Knicks have Lin and that D'Antoni finally let him play a bit and prove himself. It would have been a disaster if the Knicks cut him like they were planning to do before giving him the opportunity. Just a few games under .500 now and I hope that Melo doesn't come back and ruin what is going on.
:up:

Melo coming back is going to put quicksand into what is a ball moving and penetrating/kick out offense right now.

"Lin passes to Anthony...4 defenders close on Anthony, he takes the shot and oh just off the rim!"

starman9000
02-11-12, 01:49 PM
You'll feel better about Anthony after watching Beasley do the same thing with even less success. Rubio will hit him for a wide open shot, and he always does this stupid half fake shot and then moves in a direction that doesn't make sense and makes the shot harder and rims it.

starman9000
02-11-12, 02:17 PM
Doh, just realized the Wolves game isn't even airing here (college hockey FTW), so I guess I'll still just have to depend on this thread for my Linsanity news. :lol:

hahn
02-11-12, 02:19 PM
Is the Twolves-Knicks game on any station at all or League Pass only?? Would've thought the TV stations would be scrambling to cover the game now.

starman9000
02-11-12, 02:21 PM
NY has it I'm sure, but foxsportsnorth, which airs the Wolves games here, tends to stick with the Wild and Gophers if there is a conflict and don't have all the games this year, even with an alternate channel. Hell, I think the last game they didn't televise had college girls BBall on. :( Unfortunately, I don't think the NBA allows for other networks to take up available games.

Not that I blame really FSN. I think they were averaging an absurdly low number of people watching the past few years. Like a couple thousand.

VinVega
02-11-12, 03:09 PM
Doesn't look like the Timberwolves-Knicks game is on, other than the NBA League Pass. The one sweet thing about the Knicks being a big market team is almost 50% of their games are on national TV of some sort (NBA channel, ESPN, or TNT). There's no reason why I would ever get the League Pass.

Goat3001
02-11-12, 03:22 PM
And us Time Warner customers are fucked anyway. Thanks Dolan and Time Warner Cable!

Mr. Cinema
02-11-12, 04:40 PM
The last time Kobe played at MSG didn't he break a record? Or was that two years ago?

Anyhow, it seems like the Lakers will win two here, lose two there, win two here lose three here.

I think they make the playoffs but I don't see them going too far without a pick up or two.

Fisher has got to go as the starting PG. Love the guy, but he needs to be coming off the bench.
Fisher and Artest both need canes out there.

PhantomStranger
02-11-12, 04:59 PM
Don't get too excited about Lin yet. Once there is good tape available of him and he's been around the league a couple of times, teams will prepare to defend him and be much better equipped to stop him.

davidh777
02-11-12, 05:01 PM
Could Lin, assuming he's for real, start for LAL? Wiki said that they're one of the few teams that had offered him a contract out of the summer league but he went with GS since he grew up on NoCal after being born in SoCal.

dsa_shea
02-11-12, 07:15 PM
Don't get too excited about Lin yet. Once there is good tape available of him and he's been around the league a couple of times, teams will prepare to defend him and be much better equipped to stop him.

Just like they do against all the other really good players that somehow remain good players despite having tons of tape available. At some point I would like to believe that this guy is good rather than saying well he will get his soon enough just you wait. Can't this guy be good like some of the other stars in the league or are some of you hoping that it doesn't happen because of your hatred of the Knicks?

PopcornTreeCt
02-11-12, 10:13 PM
Just like they do against all the other really good players that somehow remain good players despite having tons of tape available. At some point I would like to believe that this guy is good rather than saying well he will get his soon enough just you wait. Can't this guy be good like some of the other stars in the league or are some of you hoping that it doesn't happen because of your hatred of the Knicks?

Pretty sure that tape bullshit only works in the NFL. I'm not a Knicks fan but I like Lin and all the hype that has been generated.

starman9000
02-11-12, 10:25 PM
Horrible end to the game by the Wolves. What in the hell were Rubio, Ridnour and Barrea doing on the floor for so long?

blech.

dsa_shea
02-11-12, 10:28 PM
Knicks win another one. You can tell that Lin is tired but he hung in there and the Knicks got it done where they usually blow it.

Dean Kousoulas
02-11-12, 11:44 PM
NY has it I'm sure, but foxsportsnorth, which airs the Wolves games here, tends to stick with the Wild and Gophers if there is a conflict and don't have all the games this year, even with an alternate channel. Hell, I think the last game they didn't televise had college girls BBall on. :( Unfortunately, I don't think the NBA allows for other networks to take up available games.

Not that I blame really FSN. I think they were averaging an absurdly low number of people watching the past few years. Like a couple thousand.

Wow, is it really that bad over there? Over here the Nets and Yankees share a network, and as soon as their season starts I can kiss the Nets games goodbye, (not that I care, our seasons usually end in January) but to have games kicked off for women's basketball? Ouch.

PhantomStranger
02-12-12, 02:47 AM
Just like they do against all the other really good players that somehow remain good players despite having tons of tape available.
I like Lin, but his physical talent is not on par with the great players in the league. His best attributes appear to be good body control around the rim and an ability to absorb physical contact on offense. Lin is a poor man's version of Chauncey Billups, which can be an effective player.

For Lin to stick around for a long time, he needs to learn to run an offense better. I do think he has a good shot to learn, coming from Harvard.

dsa_shea
02-12-12, 11:17 AM
I like Lin, but his physical talent is not on par with the great players in the league. His best attributes appear to be good body control around the rim and an ability to absorb physical contact on offense. Lin is a poor man's version of Chauncey Billups, which can be an effective player.

For Lin to stick around for a long time, he needs to learn to run an offense better. I do think he has a good shot to learn, coming from Harvard.

Actually, I'm starting to think that Lin plays very much like Nash. He has a leaner frame but is not afraid to slash to the basket for the shot or dish it off while around the lane.

starman9000
02-12-12, 11:33 AM
So if Lin keeps up a very good pace, what happens to him? There isn't much the Knicks could do to free up cash to sign him to an extension during the season right?

dsa_shea
02-12-12, 11:36 AM
So if Lin keeps up a very good pace, what happens to him? There isn't much the Knicks could do to free up cash to sign him to an extension during the season right?

I'm not sure what kind of rights you get when you pickup someone that has been cut. However, I don't see any teams throwing tons of cash at him just yet so I'm sure the Knicks could lock him up for a couple of years at a few million per. He is still in some ways a rookie as he has seen very little court time throughout his short career. I also thinks he likes playing in New York and appreciates the opportunity they gave him so in my opinion he would stay there anyways. His hometeam of Golden State had already cut him so I'm not sure I would see him running back if the door opened again. New York is the perfect place for a guy like this that is becoming an international sensation. Golden State not so much.

Jeremy517
02-12-12, 01:13 PM

http://knickerblogger.net/the-contract-statuses-of-jeremy-lin-and-landry-fields/

DJariya
02-12-12, 03:45 PM
Whew, the Lakers barely got by today. You know it's a tough season when they barely beat the shitty Raptors. Kobe's shooting has been horrendous. 9-23 today.

Jam Master Jay
02-13-12, 02:43 PM
Gilbert Arenas huh? Lakers must be getting desperate.

DJariya
02-13-12, 02:46 PM
If they can sign him for the Veterans minimum, then I would say go for it. I would not touch him if his Washington/Orlando contract is still intact.

Trance97
02-13-12, 02:47 PM
MN wolves FTW!

Mr. Cinema
02-13-12, 02:55 PM
If they can sign him for the Veterans minimum, then I would say go for it. I would not touch him if his Washington/Orlando contract is still intact.
Absolutely. He can't be any worse than Fisher. Supposedly he's leaner and in shape. Maybe he can provide a much needed spark off the bench. I'm not sure he'd start though. Brown probably would rather him lead the 2nd unit.

starman9000
02-13-12, 02:57 PM
Really working hard to be able to post pictures are we?

fumanstan
02-13-12, 03:06 PM
Lakers are definitely desperate. :(

Mr. Cinema
02-13-12, 03:09 PM
They used their MLE on McRoberts and he's not even getting in the games lately.

DJariya
02-13-12, 03:33 PM
Lakers are definitely desperate. :(

So would you have an issue if they manage to sign Arenas? Yeah he has kind of a thug reputation and isn't the 25+ PPG scorer as he was with Washington, but for the Veterans minimums and if he can provide 10-12 PPG, that would be way better than what Fisher is doing now.

On the downside, I don't know if his style of play would work under Brown's system. The Lakers offense this season has been anemic.

fumanstan
02-13-12, 03:44 PM
Nope, I welcome an Arenas signing. He certainly can't be worse then Fisher and Blake, and worst case is they can just release him if he really sucks and does nothing. I'm happy if he can just come out and score.

I actually thought Goudelock was playing really well when Blake was out, so I'm disappointed his playing time is gone now that Blake is back.

Maxflier
02-13-12, 04:12 PM
It should come as no surprise, but Jeremy Lin has been named Eastern Conference Player of the Week. :thumbsup:

dsa_shea
02-13-12, 06:27 PM
It should come as no surprise, but Jeremy Lin has been named Eastern Conference Player of the Week. :thumbsup:

On and poppin Yes!

starman9000
02-13-12, 06:31 PM
He should be the stock market player of the week too, as MSG shares have risen 13% since he began starting games. :lol:

dsa_shea
02-13-12, 06:37 PM
Has anyone ever cam off the bench 1/3 of the way through a season to win MVP?

fumanstan
02-13-12, 07:49 PM
Poppin?

hahn
02-13-12, 09:52 PM
Sweet. In spite of all the haters, well-earned.

starman9000
02-13-12, 10:37 PM
In spite of all the haters? :lol:

hahn
02-13-12, 10:45 PM
In spite of all the haters? :lol:Not a lot I know, but they're the most vocal online - Twitter, forums, and article discussions. Things get especially nasty on Twitter. Some people just HAVE to rain on everyone else's parade.

Arpeggi
02-13-12, 11:03 PM
Nope, I welcome an Arenas signing. He certainly can't be worse then Fisher and Blake, and worst case is they can just release him if he really sucks and does nothing. I'm happy if he can just come out and score.

I actually thought Goudelock was playing really well when Blake was out, so I'm disappointed his playing time is gone now that Blake is back.

Why the fuck is that fucking loser garbage trash Fisher playing? Lakers should start Blake and have Goudelock/Arenas as backup PG.

Maxflier
02-14-12, 10:57 AM
http://i.imgur.com/D5iTH.jpg

starman9000
02-14-12, 11:30 AM
Happy VaLINtinesday!

Decker
02-14-12, 11:35 AM
He bumped Kate Upton?

fujishig
02-14-12, 04:05 PM
He bumped Kate Upton?

He's on the swimsuit issue too? Okay, he is getting overexposed...

hahn
02-14-12, 08:17 PM
Raptors looking much better than their record would suggest. Jeremy Lin having a mediocre first half, but it did seem like he was trying too hard to get the ball to Stoudemire.

davidh777
02-14-12, 08:59 PM
Lin is banging Kate Upton?

fumanstan
02-14-12, 09:05 PM
Amare has killed Linsanity!

hahn
02-14-12, 09:19 PM
Not yet! Stoudemire heating up! Lin hooked him up with a couple of assists as well. Now if Chandler could only keep out of foul trouble - this seems to be a major problem for him.

hahn
02-14-12, 09:37 PM
Nice finish by Lin to tie it up!

PopcornTreeCt
02-14-12, 09:39 PM
Linsanity!

fumanstan
02-14-12, 09:41 PM
Crazy :up:

Quack
02-14-12, 09:42 PM
To Linfinity and beyonnnnnd!

hahn
02-14-12, 09:43 PM
Hoooooly craaaaaap!!!!

dsa_shea
02-14-12, 09:48 PM
Amazing comeback for the Knicks tonight! Lin put it in!

Deftones
02-14-12, 10:21 PM
Amar'e is probably creaming himself, now that he has someone similar to Nash to get him the ball. Can't wait to see it all come crashing down to earth, though, when Carmelo comes back soon. :lol:

RayChuang
02-14-12, 10:21 PM
That's it. It's now the equivalent of Tebowmania but with a GOOD player.

starman9000
02-14-12, 10:46 PM
Their next 3 games are very winnable too so this is just going to get bigger. :lol:

Should be a ESPN poll soon "will the Knicks lose another game?"

superdeluxe
02-14-12, 10:46 PM
http://i.minus.com/iSweIaDaG3OfS.gif

superdeluxe
02-14-12, 10:47 PM
Funny thing, but they were on the road, can't tell from the crowd

hahn
02-14-12, 10:47 PM
I think I like Linfinity and Beyond even more than Linsanity.

hahn
02-14-12, 10:48 PM
Funny thing, but they were on the road, can't tell from the crowd
Playing in any city that has a large Asian population is going to be like playing at home. This will be a HUGE advantage for the Knicks.

starman9000
02-14-12, 10:51 PM
How insanely happy/fortunate is Stern about this development?

(I know Mayweather took a lot of heat for his comments, and rightfully so, but from a front office perspective, the combination of New York star, apparent non-thug, and Asian-American make for an insanely popular story)

nodoubt
02-14-12, 11:37 PM
i like lin and all but the guy's a turnover machine...

RayChuang
02-14-12, 11:51 PM

How about VERY? http://clicksmilies.com/s1106/grinser/grinning-smiley-002.gif

Not only is the timing great (just when the NFL season is over), but elevating the New York Knicks because of Lin's success means long-suffering fans of that team are richly rewarded and a successful Knicks team is great PR for the league as a whole.

WallyOPD
02-14-12, 11:54 PM
i like lin and all but the guy's a turnover machine...

:lol: He's made 5 starts in his career, I think he's allowed to have a few flaws in his game at this point.

JumpCutz
02-15-12, 12:08 AM
Just wait until Carmelo comes back. :lol: Oh it's going to be fun.

Maxflier
02-15-12, 12:11 AM
Wow, that was unbelievable.

mcnabb
02-15-12, 07:26 AM
Just wait until Carmelo comes back. :lol: Oh it's going to be fun.

Stop! (The Knicks offense comes to a Complete Stop as Melo isolates himself on the Floor)... Melo Time! You cant' touch this......

kefrank
02-15-12, 09:02 AM
Pretty happy. I normally don't care at all about the NBA, but this Lin story at least has me tuning in for highlights.

TimeandTide
02-15-12, 09:25 AM
How about VERY? http://clicksmilies.com/s1106/grinser/grinning-smiley-002.gif

Not only is the timing great (just when the NFL season is over), but elevating the New York Knicks because of Lin's success means long-suffering fans of that team are richly rewarded and a successful Knicks team is great PR for the league as a whole.

And it's another avenue into the super lucrative Chinese market. NBA took a bit of a hit overseas when Yao Ming got hurt

I don't see Carmelo's return necessarily being a bad thing for Lin. His scoring will drop, but his assists and shooting percentage should go up considerably. Plus, a spotlight on 'Melo (at least for the first few games), will lessen some of the pressure on Lin.

Goat3001
02-15-12, 10:40 AM
And it's another avenue into the super lucrative Chinese market. NBA took a bit of a hit overseas when Yao Ming got hurt

Lin is Taiwanese.

starman9000
02-15-12, 11:01 AM
He's American ;)

His grandma is Chinese and the Chinese consider Taiwan part of China still right? The WSJ says he's really popular over there.

fumanstan
02-15-12, 11:19 AM
Doesn't matter what the Chinese consider :p

starman9000
02-15-12, 11:22 AM
I'm just saying, I don't think being Taiwanese will prevent him from appealing to the Chinese market.

mphtrilogy
02-15-12, 11:41 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204792404577225010369633998.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

starman9000
02-15-12, 11:49 AM
I wonder just how far he would have run away with the all star ballot if this run had happened a month ago.

Mr. Cinema
02-15-12, 11:51 AM
Hey, the Lakers win and Kobe only scores 10. Never thought that was possible with this current group. Gasol has stepped it up as of late.

Mr. Cinema
02-15-12, 11:52 AM
I wonder just how far he would have run away with the all star ballot if this run had happened a month ago.
He could have the Yao effect. Play 10 games per season for the next few years and be voted in as the starter.

Cowherd was reading off some Lin names this morning. Super Lintendo was my favorite off the list.

HN
02-15-12, 12:12 PM
Cowherd was reading off some Lin names this morning. Super Lintendo was my favorite off the list.
Linderella sounded fitting.

hahn
02-15-12, 12:23 PM
Doesn't matter what the Chinese consider :p
Does it matter what Jeremy considers?

"I am really proud to be Chinese. I am really proud that my parents are from Taiwan" - Jeremy Lin

Decker
02-15-12, 01:57 PM
This morning I because officially sick of the Jeremy Lin coverage.

It's a great story being driven straight into the ground.

Goat3001
02-15-12, 02:15 PM
It's a great story being driven straight into the ground.

Ah, ESPN. Turning great stories into major annoyances since 1985.