Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite Trailers 2011?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Favorite Trailers 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Favorite Trailers 2011?

There have been some great trailers this year. But my favorite is the first Trailer for "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WVLvMg62RPA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The other ones i really liked:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5NYt1qirBWg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sftuxbvGwiU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-25-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Favorite Trailers 2011?

Yeah, the first GWDT trailer was terrific. One of the better trailers I've seen recently.

Seen more bad trailers than good this year, though.

The one for the horrible Taylor Lautner movie was laughably bad. War Horse was pretty terrible. I thought Hugo looked bad because of the trailer although it turned out to be a fine film.

I'd say 'Prometheus' confuses me more than most. I know he changed his mind and decided to do this instead of the Alien prequel but this still looks like an Alien prequel in a number of scenes in this movie. Even the way the name of the film comes up on the screen is like Alien. Weird. Did I miss something?
Old 12-25-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Worst: Columbiana

Best: Probably the first Dragon Tattoo one.
Old 12-25-11, 12:23 PM
Banned

BEst trailers:
Tree of LIfe
HAnna
Girl with Dragon Tattoo
Anonymous (really wish this movie woulda came near me. Still really wanna see it.)
Prometheus

Worst :
TINTIN
the Help
Apollo 18
Three Stooges (one of the worst 2 minutes of video I have seen in a long time)
Shark Night
Old 12-25-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best: Dark Knight Rises Teaser

Worst: Dark Knight Rises Full Trailer
Old 12-25-11, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The red-band trailer for The Raid looks fucktastic!

Also, I'd agree with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo music video and I'll even add the Muppets spoof of said trailer.
Old 12-25-11, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Best: Dark Knight Rises Teaser

Worst: Dark Knight Rises Full Trailer
This should be reversed.
Old 12-25-11, 02:55 PM
Banned

Best: Dark Knight Rises Trailer

Worst: Dark Knight Rises Full Teaser
This should be reversed. I'll take care of that for you.
Old 12-25-11, 03:03 PM
Banned

Not The Dark Knight Rises, that's for sure.

One of the most disappointing trailers EVER.
Old 12-25-11, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd put TDKR in the middle. It doesn't surprise or disappoint. It makes it's presence known and doesn't give much detail.

TDKR sure as hell isn't as bad as that 1st Hugo trailer. Jesus. I still wonder who edited that bitch w/ the song in there. That was a bad decision all around. TDKR isn't anywhere near that bad on a technical level. Subjectively...maybe. But that's subjectively. Objectively...nowhere as bad as Hugo.

Originally Posted by foofighters7

I'd say 'Prometheus' confuses me more than most. I know he changed his mind and decided to do this instead of the Alien prequel but this still looks like an Alien prequel in a number of scenes in this movie. Even the way the name of the film comes up on the screen is like Alien. Weird. Did I miss something?
...It's not really confusing. It's main premise is bolder than Alien. It's much more discussed in that film's thread. It's an Alien prequel...but won't (at least it sure as hell hasn't shown us) have the Xenomorph...at least yet (I want to know more about wtf happened to the Space Jockey). Which...to me..is sure as hell more interesting than having another Alien film. Same world. Same Locale. But we get to see wtf happened before all that.

--------------------------------------

best for me: GWTDT (first one) or....Prometheus.

worst..man...that Lautner film or Hugo.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-25-11 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-25-11, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Not The Dark Knight Rises, that's for sure.

One of the most disappointing trailers EVER.
I don't get this. What was so disappointing about and what the hell were you expecting. That trailer was awesome.
Old 12-25-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

The Hunger Games. Almost like a mini movie in itself
Old 12-25-11, 07:38 PM

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Loved the trailer and can't get the music out of my head!

The Avengers - So much eye candy set to a great NIN song. A bit forced, but fun.
Old 12-25-11, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I'd put TDKR in the middle. It doesn't surprise or disappoint. It makes it's presence known and doesn't give much detail.

TDKR sure as hell isn't as bad as that 1st Hugo trailer. Jesus. I still wonder who edited that bitch w/ the song in there. That was a bad decision all around. TDKR isn't anywhere near that bad on a technical level. Subjectively...maybe. But that's subjectively. Objectively...nowhere as bad as Hugo.

...It's not really confusing. It's main premise is bolder than Alien. It's much more discussed in that film's thread. It's an Alien prequel...but won't (at least it sure as hell hasn't shown us) have the Xenomorph...at least yet (I want to know more about wtf happened to the Space Jockey). Which...to me..is sure as hell more interesting than having another Alien film. Same world. Same Locale. But we get to see wtf happened before all that.

--------------------------------------

best for me: GWTDT (first one) or....Prometheus.

worst..man...that Lautner film or Hugo.
Ahh I see. I haven't paid much attention to this film yet. So it is a prequel in a way. You know, when watching it I thought what you said could be a possibility but didn't look into it. Glad it's that.

Yeah, I agree that I would be much more interested in the Space Jockey compared to what are/where the xenomorphs came from.

That's good news. Makes more sense now!
Old 12-25-11, 08:37 PM

The Sherlock Holmes 2 trailor
Old 12-25-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S3QgNYEsyjE?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S3QgNYEsyjE?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T0ehK7BG7KM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T0ehK7BG7KM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uWlmhMSnVdM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uWlmhMSnVdM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 12-25-11, 09:12 PM

Like several others, I have to go with the teaser for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'd usually scoff at a cover of a Zeppelin song, but that one is all kinds of awesome with the way the trailer is cut. Trailers for Fincher films have been my favorite two years running now. The trailer for The Social Network with the choral cover of Radiohead's "Creep" was easily my top last year.
Old 12-25-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bootsy
This should be reversed. I'll take care of that for you.
Disagree. Teaser hinted at an incredible showdown of Bane breaking Batman. The full trailer brought us full on Hines Ward cheese and an OWS protestor slowly dancing with Bruce Wayne.
Old 12-25-11, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Saw both this weekend before MI:4:

Act of Valor (me and my son are geeks for anything special forces related) and GI Joe 2.

The Joe trailer is one of the coolest trailers I've ever seen, in fact.
Old 12-26-11, 01:30 PM
Banned

Disagree. Teaser hinted at an incredible showdown of Bane breaking Batman. The full trailer brought us full on Hines Ward cheese and an OWS protestor slowly dancing with Bruce Wayne.
The teaser wasn't the worst. I was having a little fun with that but it was just a teaser with very little new footage. I don't know how anyone would think that was something special.

The football field scene plays exactly into the plot of the film obviously and it is actually footage from the movie and not something recycled. I don't get the big deal why the trailer is so bad for you. In the end it isn't gonna indicate how good or bad the movie is. I sometimes like to go back and look at a trailer after having seen a movie. I did this with Drive and that trailer gave away from too much of the plot of the movie. It was a good trailer but looking back on it a lot of things were given away in that trailer.

Last edited by bootsy; 12-26-11 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-26-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Worst: Columbiana
"NEVER FORGET WHO YOU ARE!"

So what trailers are the Duly-Appointed Federal Marshals™ this year? You know, the ones that got overplayed so much you know the whole script backwards and forwards without trying? I think they played Immortals on everything.