Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie Sequel News Including MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 5, PINEAPPLE EXPRESS 2 and GREMLINS 3

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Sequel News Including MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 5, PINEAPPLE EXPRESS 2 and GREMLINS 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-11, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Let’s face it: the holidays are here and most people’s brains are already on vacation. Since it’s just too hard to come up with an original movie idea right now, a lot of talk has turned to potential sequels. Some franchises, like Gremlins and Mission: Impossible already have more than one movie in the books while others, such as Colombiana and Pineapple Express are open to sequels just because they can be. So we’ve ransacked the internets to find some updates on sequels you’ve been dying to see and others you never dreamed of being produced. Hit the jump to check them out.

First up comes the most plausible of the above-mentioned sequels, Mission: Impossible 5. While the current iteration, Mission:Impossible 4 – Ghost Protocol, is now in theaters , MovieHole reports that Paramount is eager to go ahead with plans for the next installment. Anthony Marcoly, head of Paramount Pictures International had this to say:

“We are absolutely thrilled with the MIGP start internationally. The filmmaking team has provided us with an exceptionally playing film that moviegoers around the world are embracing. With two and a half weeks of school holidays still to come, we are positioned extremely well as the must see event over the Christmas season.”
Now, the rumor is that Skydance wants to move forward with both M:I-5 and, speaking of sequels, Top Gun 2 and that Paramount is on board for both. While I was originally under the impression that any future Mission:Impossible films would feature Jeremy Renner taking over the franchise from Tom Cruise, apparently that’s no longer the case. As Simon Pegg put it:

“I think that might have been the plan earlier on, but as the film progressed and we enjoyed it so much I think the idea of Ethan Hunt retiring fell by the wayside. Tom suddenly remembered why he loved doing these films so much and suddenly thought ‘well maybe I do want to do more?’ It’d be nice to see them go into a mission a little better equipped and prepared and have some things that actually work.”
As for director Brad Bird, it’s possible that he may be back for the next installment as well, if we can take his following quote seriously:

“Hey man, what a good idea! cross pollinating the bad robot films!”, Bird says of bringing Leonard Nimoy’s ‘Paris’ back from the classic series. “I’ll bring that up with JJ. I’ll be sure to discuss it.”
Now, for other sequel news, MovieHole also reports that Warner Bros. has renewed the domain for Gremlins3.com which, if nothing else, supports the studios interest in keeping the franchise alive. As to whether it would be a true sequel or, more likely, a reboot (owing to the advances in motion picture technology, ie CGI vs puppets), that has yet to be determined. For those keeping score at home, Warner Bros. also renewed GreenLantern2.com and TheHangover3.com.

In “news you probably never considered,” MovieWeb unearthed the possibility of a sequel when talking to Colombiana star, Michael Vartan, who was quoted as follows [with spoilers]:

Spoiler:
“I was joking with our director Olivier Megaton that this movie sets itself up nicely for a sequel. I’m not sure that would ever happen. But at the end, there are a lot of loose ends that have not been tied. It would be interesting to…Look, I was pushing the whole time to reveal my character as a villain at the end. I don’t know why he didn’t kill her if that was his assignment. He had many opportunities to do so. Who knows? That’s what writers are for. It felt like they did set this up for a sequel. I have never been part of a movie that allowed me to reprise a character. That in itself would be awesome. But it definitely felt like, if they wanted to, there was a lot of creative freedom there. It wouldn’t feel forced. A lot of times, a movie is written as this one time thing. I makes $300 million at the box office, and suddenly, everyone is going, “Sequel, sequel!” Then, when they make that sequel, you can tell that everyone is just forcing stories that clearly weren’t developed, or wouldn’t naturally happened. I think this one has a chance at a good sequel. So, let’s start a campaign!”
Not sure if any of you out there were asking Santa for a Colombiana sequel, but well, there it is…maybe.

Finally, E!Online has some interesting news on a potential reunion for Seth Rogen and James Franco in a sequel to Pineapple Express. Rogen laughingly gave E! the following quote:

“I don’t think it’s so precious that I wouldn’t want to ruin it with a sequel. So yeah, I would be [into it]. We talk about it. We joke around about it.”
Maybe Pineapple Express 2 has a real chance, or maybe Rogen’s just blowing smoke.
Old 12-23-11, 02:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Movie Sequel News Including MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 5, PINEAPPLE EXPRESS 2 and GREMLI

Pineapple Express barely had enough in it to sustain a single movie, let alone two.

As for Gremlins, Dante has said repeatedly that he would do it, but only if it can be done without CGI, and WB doesn't want to spring for the budget that would entail.
Old 12-23-11, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Movie Sequel News Including MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 5, PINEAPPLE EXPRESS 2 and GREMLI

That youtube from the dude in France shows how relevant the puppeteeering can be in making the film nowadays. WB should definitely take Dante up on it if he's able to make a good film.
Old 12-23-11, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just mix CGI & puppets for Gremlins. Use puppets for upper body shots & heads but if they want a bunch of gremlins running down a hall totally in the shot, use cgi.

I'd be up for MI5. How about keep the same team this time. Each movie has a new team with Ethan being the constant.
Old 12-23-11, 08:12 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was pretty sure M:I 5 would happen that franchise prints money for Paramount. I'd rather have The Green Hornet 2 over Pineapple Express 2 if I had to chose. Neither really deserve sequels though.
Old 12-23-11, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Yes, No, No.
Old 12-23-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

No CGI + Phoebe Cates = Gremlins 3
Old 12-23-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Yes, No, No.
What he said. I don't need PE2, and I definitely don't need to see a Gremlins 3 CGI shitfest.
Old 12-23-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you guys are kidding

been waiting for gremlins 3 for 20 years

bring it on
Old 12-23-11, 01:50 PM
Banned

It's about Goddamn Time!!!
Old 12-23-11, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
you guys are kidding

been waiting for gremlins 3 for 20 years

bring it on
Yes, listen to this guy: DON'T DO IT.
Old 12-23-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm all for a new GREMLINS movie, provided it's dark like the original GREMLINS, and not some "let's parody everything we can think of" mash-up like GREMLINS 2. In other words, if they announce GREMLINS GO LAS VEGAS, I'll be staying home.
Old 12-23-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ You're crazy... Gremlins 2 is the superior of the two.
Old 12-23-11, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
I beg to differ. GREMLINS is a classic B-horror movie (or at the least, a homage to them). GREMLINS 2 is Joe Dante just taking all these "cute" ideas he has and throwing them at us...it's like an SNL version of GREMLINS - a bunch of skits, but no cohesive storyline.
Old 12-23-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'd see Mission: Impossible 5 and probably Gremlins 3 for sure. Pineapple Express 2...meh. The first one is an okay stoner movie to watch once but it's not something that needs a sequel.
Old 12-23-11, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'd see Mission: Impossible 5 and probably Gremlins 3 for sure. Pineapple Express 2...meh. The first one is an okay stoner movie to watch once but it's not something that needs a sequel.
I haven't even seen the first one.
Old 12-23-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 12-23-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I beg to differ. GREMLINS is a classic B-horror movie (or at the least, a homage to them). GREMLINS 2 is Joe Dante just taking all these "cute" ideas he has and throwing them at us...it's like an SNL version of GREMLINS - a bunch of skits, but no cohesive storyline.
Old 12-23-11, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I enjoy Gremlins 2 more just because there isn't much setup needed for the story.
Old 12-23-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Gremlins 2 was awesome! I never understood why they stopped making more. It could've been an awesome franchise. Did the sequel tank really bad at the box office?
Old 12-23-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I prefer the first movie. None of the crazy stuff that was in the second movie.
Old 12-23-11, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Match

I prefer the first movie. None of the crazy stuff that was in the second movie.
Daffy (mogwai pictured) was the reason why I loved the sequal. The scene where he's throwing food had me in tears laughing so hard.
Old 12-23-11, 09:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gremlins 2 is a great live action, feature length Looney Tunes. And that is exactly why it's my favorite.
Old 12-25-11, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Gremlins 2 is a great live action, feature length Looney Tunes. And that is exactly why it's my favorite.
I'm with you on that one. It is a live action Looney Tunes movie (circa 1946 or so).
Old 12-25-11, 11:10 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Gremlins 1....2...I don't give a shit. Just give me a 3. For fucks sake it could be 3D. C'mon Warner, 3 and 3D. It's like fucking jelly to peanut butter. It's all set up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.