Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : HP Touchpad - can I change the OS?

kayak99
12-20-11, 07:46 AM
My wife finds too many issues with an iPad so that's now out as a gift, for now. I gave her an HP touchpad I bought when they were $99 so she has a tablet to experiment with for the time being and still some issues. Apparently such is life with tablets.

Is it possible to change the operating system on this HP Touchpad tablet to an Android system? She'd like to Skype (or Facetime) but I can't seem to find an HP download for this type of communication.

Suggestions? Thanks!

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
12-20-11, 08:51 AM
My wife finds too many issues with an iPad so that's now out as a gift, for now. I gave her an HP touchpad I bought when they were $99 so she has a tablet to experiment with for the time being and still some issues. Apparently such is life with tablets.

Is it possible to change the operating system on this HP Touchpad tablet to an Android system? She'd like to Skype (or Facetime) but I can't seem to find an HP download for this type of communication.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Skype works in webos. It is in the phone app. You set up your skype account there. If you want android, there is an android port. It is an alpha release, but still usable. It allows for dual booot. http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10121-releasealpha35cyanogenmod-touchpad/

kayak99
12-20-11, 09:35 AM
Skype works in webos. It is in the phone app. You set up your skype account there.

I'm at work, the touchpad is at home. Is that phone app in the HP app store?

The Android desire was more to get something with more flexibility such as app selection. Being more familiar with Windows I am hoping that Win 8 OS will be good and something I can consider loading onto these tablets.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
12-20-11, 12:36 PM
I'm at work, the touchpad is at home. Is that phone app in the HP app store?

The Android desire was more to get something with more flexibility such as app selection. Being more familiar with Windows I am hoping that Win 8 OS will be good and something I can consider loading onto these tablets.

The phone app is installed by default into the touchpad. I believe that I is in the second app screen.

I agree that the android market has a much better selection.

Kdogg
12-20-11, 04:37 PM
You can dual boot it with WebOS and Android. My brother has a HP Touchpad and did it without any trouble. He claims Android runs faster than WebOS. You can google step by step instructions.

kefrank
12-20-11, 04:46 PM

Perhaps this is off-topic, but I'm curious what issues she has with each?

RoboDad
12-20-11, 07:02 PM
I'm curious as well.

Cardiff Giant11
12-20-11, 07:13 PM
Ha I have a touchpad and am thinking about selling it and using the money towards an iPad so different strokes I guess :)

The Cow
12-20-11, 07:22 PM
Yes you can put a version of Android on it. I did it to one of ours, it's very easy, and you can still boot to webOS (just don't update the webOS after or it will wipe out the Android side).

It works very well, I think it's a lot better than webOS, although not as intuitive if you are not already familiar with Android.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/3477-releasealpha2discussion-cyanogenmod-team-touchpad-port/

crankyman
12-21-11, 12:19 AM
yup and it runs really, really well.

http://i.imgur.com/LZL6l.jpg

kayak99
12-21-11, 08:13 AM
Perhaps this is off-topic, but I'm curious what issues she has with each?

The inability to do some of her accounting work and printing wirelessly from tablets are a couple issues. Rather than to go out and buy a new iPad, which is what I suggested. we have the HP so I am trying to get it to a point she likes. She won't be able to work from it but at least she can enjoy it.

kd5
12-21-11, 08:18 AM
Just curious, if she's going to be doing that kind of work, why not just get her a laptop? It would seem to solve a multitude of problems... -kd5-

al_bundy
12-21-11, 08:37 AM
Just curious, if she's going to be doing that kind of work, why not just get her a laptop? It would seem to solve a multitude of problems... -kd5-

that would be too easy

kefrank
12-21-11, 05:21 PM
The inability to do some of her accounting work and printing wirelessly from tablets are a couple issues. Rather than to go out and buy a new iPad, which is what I suggested. we have the HP so I am trying to get it to a point she likes. She won't be able to work from it but at least she can enjoy it.
Maybe I should ask a different question. What does she want a tablet for?

Also, Google Cloud Print (http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/) would possibly solve the latter issue.

kayak99
12-21-11, 06:37 PM

We have a few laptops. She liked the concept and look of a tablet along with the weight and size.

Maybe I should ask a different question. What does she want a tablet for?

Also, Google Cloud Print (http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/) would possibly solve the latter issue.

She's a female, I am sure she'd like it to do everything, including miracles! -pray- rotfl

Cardiff Giant11
12-26-11, 04:09 PM
So after getting some Apple related stuff for Christmas (new iPod nano, iTunes giftcard, and apparently another new nano enroute to replace the 1st gen one that was recalled) I think I've decided that I want to be able to use all my Apple stuff on my tablet so I'm going to probably be selling the 16gb touchpad, HP Case, Targus Truss Case, Touchstone, and HP Bluetooth Keyboard and using the money towards and iPad 2.

Any idea 1)where the best place to sell it is and 2) what would be a fair amount for everything? I have an idea in my head but not 100% sure.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
12-26-11, 04:43 PM
Check for what things are going for on your local craigslist.

Tracer Bullet
12-27-11, 08:57 PM
MacBook Air?