DVD Talk
new ipad...what do i need and what do i need to know? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : new ipad...what do i need and what do i need to know?

chino77
12-20-11, 03:51 AM
i got the girlfriend an ipad2 for xmas. i got all the accessories (case, stand, keyboard, connecting kit, ect). now i just need to know the basics and must haves to set it up. one big thing though...we will be at my moms house for xmas and she doesnt have internet. tmobile is horribly slow in her town so even though i can tether it is almost useless.

so what can i do to prepare ahead of time? i'll be taking my laptop (with vista and itunes already loaded). im not looking to get deep into it and spend hours messing with it...just wanna put some music, books, movies on it, play with some apps, ect. is there a way to download apps and games at home then add them when i am there?

i already have some books and movies and music. will itunes convert the books and movies to be useable on the ipad? or do i need a program to convert them.

any tips for when we first use it or for setting it up? basically tell me what i need to know..i pretty much dont know a thing about ipads.

Mr. Salty
12-20-11, 04:33 AM
is there a way to download apps and games at home then add them when i am there?
Typically you download apps directly to the iPad, so do that while you're at your house via Wi-Fi. Otherwise, download them to your laptop, then they'll sync to the iPad when it's plugged into your laptop. I don't much see the point of downloading apps then waiting until you're somewhere else to transfer them to the iPad.

When you're at the App Store look at Apple's app starter kit (scroll down toward the bottom of the page). What you get is up to you. Surely you have some idea of what kinds of games, etc., you're interested in.

i already have some books and movies and music. will itunes convert the books and movies to be useable on the ipad? or do i need a program to convert them.
I don't know since I have no idea what format they're in now. If the books are Kindle format, just get the free Kindle app for the iPad.

chino77
12-20-11, 06:35 AM
I don't much see the point of downloading apps then waiting until you're somewhere else to transfer them to the iPad.

I don't know since I have no idea what format they're in now. If the books are Kindle format, just get the free Kindle app for the iPad.

because we will be gone for a week. im sure she will want to play around with it...and i have no idea what comes installed standard on an ipad. i dont see the point of waiting a week if i can download them now and install them there after she opens it.

i have epub, mobi, and pdf. the video files are avi.

Sdallnct
12-20-11, 09:16 AM
I'd open the thing up and do a full set up for her and than rebox it. That way she can open and play. This way you can at least put on her music, and movies, video's etc. and (gulp) Angry Birds and all set to go when she un-wraps.

Then you and her can make little coffee runs to Starbucks and let her get whatever she wants.

Edit, by your tone in your above response, I'll ask. You do know how to do this, don't you? You guys have an iPhone, iPod or something else that uses iTunes, yes?

If not, I suggest you go back to the Apple store with the device and see if they will help you with set up. I'm sure they will it will just be a timing thing now depending on how busy they are.

chino77
12-20-11, 10:10 AM
i really dont have a chance with her not being around to open it and install stuff on it.

i didnt think of getting free wifi from somewhere, good idea.

im good with tech so i have no reason to go to the apple store and have them do it for me. plus i would rather learn how to. i just dont have a lot of time this week to be searching all over online for must have apps, tricks, tips, ect. i was hoping some people here could share.

we have zero apple products...though i used to have a 4th gen original ipod so i somewhat know how to use itunes. no idea how to use the store, though im sure its not hard...im not worried about that.

is there some sort of problem that could arise if i download apps to my laptop and install them on the ipad at a later date? not sure what the concern is.

BMAG
12-20-11, 10:29 AM
http://forums.ilounge.com/ipad/269635-free-ipad-2-buyers-guide-ilounge.html

chino77
12-20-11, 11:41 AM
http://forums.ilounge.com/ipad/269635-free-ipad-2-buyers-guide-ilounge.html

cool thanks

cerial442
12-20-11, 11:42 AM
There won't be a problem with downloading apps and installing them later. Are you taking your laptop with you? You can sync it then and she can use some apps until you get home.

BTW, you can't even view a home screen on the iPad until you hook it up to iTunes to sync it.

Your PDF books will work with the free iBooks app.

Kdogg
12-20-11, 11:50 AM
we have zero apple products...though i used to have a 4th gen original ipod so i somewhat know how to use itunes. no idea how to use the store, though im sure its not hard...im not worried about that.

The App store is just like the iTune store. Fire up iTunes on your pc, download as many apps as you like and sync with the iPad after she opens it. Just make sure you have the latest version of iTunes.

edstein
12-20-11, 01:49 PM
I'd make sure it's updated with iOS 5 first before doing anything else.

Jay G.
12-20-11, 03:15 PM
I'd make sure it's updated with iOS 5 first before doing anything else...
...unless you want to jailbreak it. In that case, best to leave it on iOS 4 for now.

Shazam
12-20-11, 03:59 PM
Wearing Ed Hardy shirts now makes you less of a douche.

chino77
12-20-11, 05:19 PM
Wearing Ed Hardy shirts now makes you less of a douche.

what the hell is that about?

not sure if i want to jailbreak it. can i roll back to 4 if i wanted to? and yes im taking my laptop with me.

what formats do the ipads book/magazine reader recognize? i would rather have everything be on it and not spread across 5 dif apps. i can just convert each one to use with ibook or whatever its called. unless there is a better free reader available.

Jay G.
12-20-11, 05:51 PM
not sure if i want to jailbreak it. can i roll back to 4 if i wanted to? and yes im taking my laptop with me.
There's a program that will downgrade a GSM iPad 2 to iOS 4, but not any other iPad 2, like the wifi-only one you have:
http://www.redmondpie.com/downgrade-ipad-2-and-iphone-4-from-ios-5-to-ios-4.3.3-with-tinycfw-for-untethered-jailbreak-how-to-tutorial/

Keep in mind that if you sync the iPad 2 with your laptop, your GF will have to use your laptop everytime she wants to sync it thereafter. Otherwise, if she changes the computer it syncs with, the iPad 2 will basically be wiped and she'll have to start over customizing it and loading it with apps and data.

what formats do the ipads book/magazine reader recognize? i would rather have everything be on it and not spread across 5 dif apps. i can just convert each one to use with ibook or whatever its called. unless there is a better free reader available.
You can apparently import PDFs and ePub files to it, provided they don't have DRM:
http://ismashphone.com/2011/05/how-to-import-pdf-to-ibooks-ipad-iphone-ipod-touch.html
http://ismashphone.com/2011/05/how-to-import-pdf-to-ibooks-ipad-iphone-ipod-touch.html

I prefer Amazon's Kindle reader, since it's much more cross-platform compatible. iBooks is only ever going to work with Apple products, you can't use it on any other platform, including Windows. Kindle has reading apps for Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, and Blackberry, as well as a "Cloud Reader" for any compatible web browser.

TheBang
12-20-11, 06:08 PM
Make sure you download the iBooks app, as it is not included by default with the iPad.

iBooks supports ePub books and PDF's. Just add them to iTunes, and then you'll be able to sync them to the iPad and read them with iBooks. Here's more info about iBooks:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4059

For your Mobi books, I don't believe iBooks supports them, but the Amazon Kindle app should, so make sure you download that one too.

The iPad (and iTunes) will not play your .avi movies. You will need to convert them to a specific MPEG-4 format. Probably the easiest way for you to accomplish this is to use Handbrake:

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Just load up all your videos, select one of the iPad presets, and add them all to the batch processing queue, and then wait a few hours or days until they're all converted. Once they've all been converted to iPad-friendly format, you'll be able to add them to iTunes, and then from there, sync them to your iPad.

Your audio files should all be fine.

Jay G.
12-20-11, 06:14 PM
Your audio files should all be fine...
Unless they're Ogg, FLAC or WMA.

RoboDad
12-20-11, 06:58 PM
Keep in mind that if you sync the iPad 2 with your laptop, your GF will have to use your laptop everytime she wants to sync it thereafter. Otherwise, if she changes the computer it syncs with, the iPad 2 will basically be wiped and she'll have to start over customizing it and loading it with apps and data.

There isn't really any compelling reason to sync it with the laptop anyway. As long as you use the same Apple ID on the iPad (in Settings->Store) that you used in iTunes, any apps you purchase or download to the laptop will be visible in the App Store app on the iPad itself (on the Purchased tab).

Shazam
12-21-11, 11:48 AM
There's a ton of apps that allow you to watch various video formats on the iPhone/Pad. Pointless to convert them.

twikoff
12-21-11, 01:53 PM
plants vs zombies!

doesnt matter if you have ever played it on a smartphone, computer, of xbox.. this game was made for a tablet, and thats where its most fun!

Mr. Salty
12-21-11, 03:12 PM
The iPad (and iTunes) will not play your .avi movies.

iTunes won't but the iPad will with the right app. I like Azul and CineXPlayer.

chino77
12-21-11, 03:29 PM
thanks for all the info so far. its exactly what i was looking for.

chino77
12-21-11, 03:32 PM
iTunes won't but the iPad will with the right app. I like Azul and CineXPlayer.

how do you put the file on the ipad? im assuming i cant use itunes for an unsupported video. i got her the camera connect kit...can i use that to transfer files? or just pictures?

Shazam
12-21-11, 04:35 PM
I use Flex Media. It lets you download from a network share.

Mr. Salty
12-21-11, 05:25 PM
how do you put the file on the ipad? im assuming i cant use itunes for an unsupported video. i got her the camera connect kit...can i use that to transfer files? or just pictures?

When the iPad is connected to a computer, go to iTunes, click on the iPad, then on the Apps tab. Scroll down and you'll see a list of apps that support file transfer. Click on the video app, then Add. From there you browse just like you would look for any file on a computer.

fujishig
12-21-11, 05:28 PM

I thought the players that play avis have their own space to store videos that you can sync up through itunes.

I have the camera connect kit, but haven't really needed it all that much. I actually regret purchasing it.

al_bundy
12-21-11, 06:05 PM
You do it via iTunes into the app that supports that file