Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Blockbuster Video Used 3 for $14.99 Deals, Includes TV series

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-11, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blockbuster Video Used 3 for $14.99 Deals, Includes TV series

Have just been to my local Blockbuster Video a few times in the last week and they are running a 3 used dvd's (and Blu-Rays) for $14.99 sale that includes TV series! Inventory reduction time, but great deals as long as the individual item is price either at $14.99 or below. Picked up the first 3 seasons of 30 Rock for $14.99, then returned and picked up Band Of Brothers, and 24 season 6 and 7 for $14.99...the selection today included...remember these are previously rented discs.....

Lost season 1, 2, and 3
The Mentalist season 1
Bones season 1
Desperate Wives season 1 and 2
John Adams the HBO series
Sex and The City season 1,2 and 3....

well worth a trip to see what your local Blockbuster has!

Last edited by rkoradioman; 12-18-11 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-19-11, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Blockbuster Video Used 3 for $14.99 Deals, Includes TV series

They were doing this at my local store to. They literally took a post it note and put it over the "Gift Box" pricing with the lower prices.

Doesn't help that my store is for crap though. Only 2 games were under $14.99 and the blus were nothing appealing. There was an On Stranger Tides listed for $9.99 and would qualify, but it was missing the cover.
Old 12-23-11, 03:55 AM

I picked up some stuff at mine and overheard a worker telling someone on the phone that the store is closing. Both the manager and another employee confirmed that the store is closing and having its liquidation sale next month. Not only that, but the manager let me know that pretty much every store in the Dayton area is closing, most likely next month.

Oddly enough, I took back a game last night and a completely different employee said that the fate of that store is still up in the air. Apparently they got a call from Dish, telling them to hold off on plans for the liquidation sale because it may not happen now and the store might stay open. It has to suck to work there! The store literally just hired new employees last month (a friend went to the casting call) and the people they hired were ones that lost their jobs when the last round of stores closed.

With a new batch of stores closing, the prices may get even lower. Then again, who knows? When the last ones closed around here, the TV show section got cleared out when prices got down to $9.99. With this new sale, which puts shows down to $5, my closest store still has pretty much the same stock/selection they had when the sale started.
Old 12-23-11, 01:15 PM

For a few of the last several years Blockbuster was my biggest source of used dvds. Then boom, within just a few months, all four of the stores that were fairly convenient closed. The nearest surviving store is a 30 minute drive across town in heavy traffic. I only go now if I happen to be in the hood. But now that most of their dvds have eliminated extras, I'm not even that keen to spend $5-8 per. Wait patiently, and most things come down toward $5, with extras.
Old 12-24-11, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by smokingcupcake
With a new batch of stores closing, the prices may get even lower. Then again, who knows? When the last ones closed around here, the TV show section got cleared out when prices got down to $9.99. With this new sale, which puts shows down to $5, my closest store still has pretty much the same stock/selection they had when the sale started.
I was at a Blockbuster this week (Spring Rd. in Smyrna, GA) that had the same 3 for $15 sale going, and they had a handful of TV seasons. I heard the employee (the only one working there) that the store will be closing with the GOOB sale starting December 26.

The gist is:

1) The 3 for $15 will be gone, to be replaced at first by 10-30% off, gradually going down in price over the next month or so until everything is gone.

2) They have a couple of thousand DVDs they've pulled from warehouses and other stores that they will blow out at $1-2 each starting Tuesday. Those are probably highly popular titles that they have zillions of copies of, along with total crap they can't find a way to sell.

Bottom line is don't assume the prices on anything will automatically be lower once the GOOB sale starts. The odds are they will actually be higher in price (this happens a lot of places) because people see the "Going out of Business" signs and rush in, thinking they're getting great deals. It will be quite a while (and possibly slim pickings by then) before the deals get really good.
Old 12-24-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
The odds are they will actually be higher in price (this happens a lot of places) because people see the "Going out of Business" signs and rush in, thinking they're getting great deals. It will be quite a while (and possibly slim pickings by then) before the deals get really good.
Oh yeah. I was familiar with this already, but the closing of Borders really emphasized it for me. Book prices, at least the ones that I look for, rarely get below 35%, maybe 40%, online. I had to wait for the 50% off sale threshold for the prices to even be slightly better than they were at somewhere like Amazon, once sales tax was factored in. And I wasn't going to pull the trigger on that many titles just because they were 0.50 cents or $1.00 cheaper than usual, I didn't have that kind of a budget.

It was strange to me that so much inventory sold when it was still more expensive than, or the price as, online. But people kept buying. I grabbed a couple OOP/harder to find books at 60%, and then got more aggressive at each price drop afterwards. Ultimately, I missed out on a couple of titles that sold out, but more often I was kicking myself for paying 70% for things that were still around at 80% or even 90% (though sometimes at a different store, it was interesting imo the way that certain titles were completely sold out at one location but still had 3 or more copies at another).

And of course movies and TV sets continue to decrease in price and discounts as the years go by. I picked up a fair number of titles when Tower Records went out of business using the same strategy, and a lot of the prices that I paid then are higher than I see those same items going for today at BL or one of the really good sales online. Unless you see an OOP title that you just have to have, imo the best advice is to wait as long as possible to start buying, until at least 70% and perhaps 80%.
Old 12-24-11, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
Bottom line is don't assume the prices on anything will automatically be lower once the GOOB sale starts. The odds are they will actually be higher in price (this happens a lot of places) because people see the "Going out of Business" signs and rush in, thinking they're getting great deals. It will be quite a while (and possibly slim pickings by then) before the deals get really good.
Manager at one of the stores I was at said that as soon as the liquidation sale started they were getting rid of the bundles and selling everything separately.
Old 12-29-11, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

If you go to a BBV and they say they will be starting a liquidation sale in the near future, your best bet is to ask them if they will convert rentals for you now. If they are cool and let you do it, you will be paying $5 per title vs. 10% off of the max price. You will also have your pick of titles.
Old 12-30-11, 01:18 AM

The ones that are closing around here are still doing the 3-15 or 5-25 sale. I asked about a few newer releases and they pulled them off the rental shelf and sold them as part of the sale. A LOT of new releases are getting pulled and sent back to corporate. One Day, Paul, and Fright Night are just a few of the ones I know that they had to send back. They still have the space for the movies on the shelves, but no longer have any copies.

I was in there the other night and heard an employee tell someone that all copies of Fright Night were currently rented, while the manager told me over the weekend that they sent them all back. They had over 100 copies of One Day behind the register that went back and I think they got rid of all their copies of The Smurfs. They also pulled pretty much every video game off the shelf. I had the Pass and it's good until Jan. 18, but I took back a game last week and they didn't have any games left.

They did have a few DVDs for sale in previously viewed that they also pulled. One of the managers told me that they had to send back any existing copies of Zookeeper, even if they had it for sale. Last week they had over a dozen copies of Drive Angry, which are now gone too. The ones getting pulled are sent back and redistributed to other stores. I know there are 2 that are staying in business here, both are about 30 minutes away from me and both are independently owned.
Old 12-30-11, 01:23 AM

I forgot to mention that neither of mine will pull TV shows off the shelf, just movies. The one story always had a very limited TV show selection and put about half its titles in the sale, but many were missing a disc. The other store has a huge selection, but is leaving those on the shelves. I asked about Fringe, Gossip Girl, Mad Men, and another show and they wouldn't pull any off the shelves. I guess they think that the 2-3 copies of each season they have are limited stock LOL
Old 12-30-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine went out of business a few months back.
Old 12-30-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just hit gold. I went into my local blockbuster and for $50 + Tax I came out with:

- Lost Season 1 Blu
- Lost Season 2 Blu
- Lost Season 4 Blu
- Lost Season 5 Blu
- Lost Season 6 Blu
- Hung Season 1
- Hung Season 2
- Nurse Jackie Season 2
- Attack the Block Blu
- Green Lantern Blu

I can't believe that they included the Lost seasons (on blu-ray nonetheless) in this sale. Even at the $14.99/each that would have been a steal.