Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

early Raimi screentest for a more traditional looking Green Goblin

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-11, 05:46 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/...+%26+Rumors%29

pretty cool and a vast improvement IMO.
Old 12-16-11, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: early Raimi screentest for a more traditional looking Green Goblin

I think that matches one of the masks/statue faces in Norman's house somewhere, right?
Old 12-16-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't really fit with the tone of the movie.
Old 12-16-11, 06:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hated the mask but it made more sense to use it than that.
Old 12-16-11, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
I hated the mask but it made more sense to use it than that.
People are defending the Power Rangers Goblin costume?????
Old 12-16-11, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
People are defending the Power Rangers Goblin costume?????
Yes. It sucked, but yes.
Old 12-16-11, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

The suit they ended up using was pretty cheesy looking, but that's not any better. As others have said it really wouldn't have fit with the tone of the rest of the movie. Plus as mentioned in the article at least it kind of made sense that Osborn was just putting a suit and mask on rather than mutating into the Goblin.
Old 12-16-11, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...yeah...that costume was bad. I can't believe it but...yeah the SM movie suit was better.
Old 12-16-11, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

What's funny is that they had a static Power Rangers mask they went with and this overly-complicated animatronic mask they tested. I find it funny because all they had to do was hire Rick Baker to apply some minor prosthetic makeup on Willem Dafoe's face and you'd have an incredibly creepy and intimidating Green Goblin face.
Old 12-16-11, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

So, that wouldn't have been a mask in the film, but Norman Osborn's mutated face? If that's the case, that would complicate the storyline a little more.

However, if that was supposed to be a very detailed, and elaborate mask, they should have went with that one! And despite liking comics, I'm not one who thinks they should stick the source material just for the sake of it. But damn, that is just creepy. Maybe that's what Spider-man would have looked like had Cronenberg directed it.

I wonder if Spider-man was a success partly because of the Goblin's design, or despite it.
Old 12-16-11, 10:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brayzie
So, that wouldn't have been a mask in the film, but Norman Osborn's mutated face?

I doubt it. The guy posting the article is probably just unfamiliar with the comics. Norman never mutated into a goblin-looking creature in the comics. He just gained superhuman strength.

I like that mask a whole lot better than the Power Ranger Goblin mask. The ears are the only thing bad about it. Tone them down, and that mask would have been awesome.
Old 12-16-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd much rather have this mask.
Old 12-16-11, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't see the tone of a film being independent of the creative choices made within it, but rather resulting from those choices. You change the ingredients in the recipe, and a new flavor would have emerged. Had he gone with something like this, we would probably have also seen changes in camera set-ups, action blocking, dialogue scenes, line delivery, etc. most of which are influenced by the liberties or restrictions of the costume/make-up.

Personally, I think this get-up is an infinitely better visual choice than going with a rigid mask and a high tech flight suit. Does it make sense? Neither do- but this looks a hell of a lot cooler, as well as being truer to the source material. The change didn't add anything. In fact, it ultimately detracted in numerous ways.
Also, this certainly would not have invalidated the concept that Osbourne was wearing was just a 'mask' that could be pulled off at the last minute to make a straight faced emotional appeal. The Mission Impossible movies have traded on this schtick for most if not all of the movies, and those are arguably supposed to require far less of a suspension of disbelief than a series about a guy bit by a spider who then climbs walls and spins webs. This look would have fit the amazing fantasy aspect of the character just fine.

Sam made a horrific call, imo. But after seeing S-m3, it's not all that surprising anymore.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 12-17-11 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-16-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I doubt it. The guy posting the article is probably just unfamiliar with the comics. Norman never mutated into a goblin-looking creature in the comics.
In Ultimate Spider-Man he does.
Old 12-17-11, 12:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
In Ultimate Spider-Man he does.
The Ultimate universe is a completely different universe from the main Marvel universe. The Green Goblin in the Ultimate universe looks more like the Hulk than anything else.
Old 12-17-11, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With all this videos Amalgimated Designs have been releasing this week ( this and the Thing), I feel bad that their work gets shit on. Damn I wish we could get a practical fx cut of the Thing.
Old 12-17-11, 03:17 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now thats the Goblin I wanted. Instead of a creepy Goblin, we got a crazy guy wearing a ugly NHL mask, and they gave us a creepy Spiderman/Parker that looks like a child diddler.
Old 12-17-11, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

The Ultimate universe is a completely different universe from the main Marvel universe.
Which is completely irrelavent when you're talking about a film adaptation. The flim is also a completely different universe than the main Marvel Universe. If they wanted to take something from Ultimate for the film, they certainly could have. Marvel does that all the time now with their new cinematic universe.
Old 12-17-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm with everyone else. I hated the mask, but is lightnyears better than the rubber alien in the link.
Old 12-17-11, 02:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Which is completely irrelavent when you're talking about a film adaptation. The flim is also a completely different universe than the main Marvel Universe. If they wanted to take something from Ultimate for the film, they certainly could have. Marvel does that all the time now with their new cinematic universe.
Occam's Razor. The simplest answer is often the correct one. Which is more likely? 1) That the guy writing the article just never read any comics and doesn't really know that the Green Goblin wears a mask and isn't actually a mutated goblin or 2) That Raimi was using the Ultimate Green Goblin when this screentest very clearly looks like the main universe Goblin and nothing at all like the Ultimate Goblin which as I said before looks more like the Hulk.

I would say the first one is far more likely.

Also I was looking on wiki, but can't find any clear answers, but I believe the script for the movie was finished before the Ultimate universe even started. Ultimate Spider-man #1 came out at the end of 2000, with the Ultimate Goblin not even appearing until 2001 in #5. Going by wikipedia, the script for the movie was finished in early 2000, a year before the Ultimate Goblin was even created.

So yeah, I really doubt Raimi was using Ultimate Marvel as his adaption...
Old 12-17-11, 02:36 PM

If the metal mask resembles the Power Rangers, then the prosthetic resembles a Disney cartoon. That prosthetic is a joke. Add a wart and and a cauldron and you get an evil cartoon witch.

The metal mask may not have been the best choice but come on. This is considered better? It's not April 1st, is it?
Old 12-17-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like this look a lot better. Still not perfect but it's certainly closer to the Green Goblin than what was used in the movie. Also, toss in some proper lighting on this and it would look even better.
Old 12-17-11, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
If the metal mask resembles the Power Rangers, then the prosthetic resembles a Disney cartoon. That prosthetic is a joke. Add a wart and and a cauldron and you get an evil cartoon witch.

The metal mask may not have been the best choice but come on. This is considered better? It's not April 1st, is it?
Well, the Green Goblin does basically wear a Halloween suit. Everything about him is based around Halloween. Pumpkin bombs... razor sharp bats... ghost gas... and so on.

Plus, this is just a screentest. A prototype, not a finished product like the Power Ranger mask was. So you are really comparing apples to oranges when comparing a prototype to a finished product. If they had a finished design for the traditional mask it would have been better, and really I think the only thing bad about that prototype is the ears. If they were toned down, it would be much better.
Old 12-17-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin

For sure. Green Goblin's costume in the actual movie was pretty lame but honestly this thing just looks cartoony and just doesn't seem like it would have worked in a live action Marvel movie. It looks really close to the actual comic mask but sometimes changes have to be made because comics don't always translate well to the screen. I can see the argument that this wasn't the finalized version but still. I think Raimi made the right choice.
Old 12-17-11, 03:29 PM

Well, the Green Goblin does basically wear a Halloween suit. Everything about him is based around Halloween. Pumpkin bombs... razor sharp bats... ghost gas... and so on.

Plus, this is just a screentest. A prototype, not a finished product like the Power Ranger mask was. So you are really comparing apples to oranges when comparing a prototype to a finished product. If they had a finished design for the traditional mask it would have been better, and really I think the only thing bad about that prototype is the ears. If they were toned down, it would be much better.
Hallowe'en doesn't have to mean Disney cartoon. Doesn't have to mean Power Rangers either.

I'm not going by what IF. IF the prototype was finished it would look better....no one knows that. There is no known finished version of that prosthetic prototype to compare to the final mask in the film.

I'm comparing what we've seen. There's nothing else to make the comparison for. Neither one of them are any good but this is just a joke of a creation compared to that solid mask.

Not that any of this matters now, considering the movie came out nine years ago and it's more or less being replaced.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.