Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommend some stuff to a noob

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 12-13-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Was looking for a recommendations thread but didn't see one...

I'm relatively new to anime, so far having only seen Full Metal Alchemist (regular and brotherhood), and am 1/2 way through Speed Grapher, and seem to be enjoying it.

Not sure where to go once that's done, though. Can anyone recommend some good, mature stuff, that's available on Netflix watch it now (or insanely cheap box sets, like Speed Grapher was)?
Old 12-13-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Recommend some stuff to a noob

Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion were very reasonably priced last I checked. Good (older, not-animated-on-computers) shows.

Last edited by dugan; 12-13-11 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-13-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Cowboy Bebop is essential. I would also recommend Samurai 7.
Old 12-13-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another for Cowboy Bebop here. I love FLCL for the music and style, but some people have an adverse reaction to it. Neon Genesis Evangelion is good if you like giant robots. I just saw Gai-Rei: Zero and really liked it as well.

Since you like Grapher I'd also try out Elfen Lied.

I tend to shy away from the cutesy harem or fan-service stuff. If you have a Blu player there are a few great sets for under $20 at Amazon.
Old 12-13-11, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gurren Lagann can also be had for cheap now. Awesome show. Same studio as FLCL and Evangelion.
Old 12-14-11, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i randomly check out some anime from netflix havent watched alot of the bigger stuff that always seems to get mentioned like cowboy bebop, but i really enjoyed death note and claymore. really wanted to get into high school of the dead but all the (i guess fan service?) makes me feel creeped out. no direspect to those into it...i just dont get it. Witchblade was pretty interesting too with minimal bouncieness.
Old 12-14-11, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The Guyver original series.

Akira

Ghost In the Shell SAC and 2nd GIG
Old 12-14-11, 02:06 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

If you liked Full Metal Alchemist, I'd recommend Last Exile. Similar themes, great story, interesting setting, engaging characters and amazing animation. It's available for streaming on Netflix. Here's the DVDTalk review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37347...eries-box-set/

Last edited by TheBigDave; 12-14-11 at 02:11 AM.
Old 12-14-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Was looking for a recommendations thread but didn't see one...

I'm relatively new to anime, so far having only seen Full Metal Alchemist (regular and brotherhood), and am 1/2 way through Speed Grapher, and seem to be enjoying it.

Not sure where to go once that's done, though. Can anyone recommend some good, mature stuff, that's available on Netflix watch it now (or insanely cheap box sets, like Speed Grapher was)?
Berserk was pretty good on that score.

When you're ready for more creative stuff, ditto on Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion and Akira, but I'd also like to add:

Rurouni Kenshin
Samurai Champloo
the Ghost in the Shell movies
Golgo 13: Queen Bee
Ninja Scroll
Wicked City

For more mind-tripping anime, try Serial Experiments Lain and Boogiepop Phantom.

I should stress that I'm not recommending the English dub versions. These should all be seen in Japanese with English subtitles.
Old 12-14-11, 11:18 AM

Berserk
Crest of the Stars / Banner of the Stars
Last Exile
Rurouni Kenshin OVAs (although they should be watched after the TV series)
Planetes
Old 12-14-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Baccano is insanely cheap at Rightstuf these days. Sixteen bucks for the DVD set!

I haven't personally seen it, but it has the same level of universal acclaim that Cowboy Bebop has.

I also need to boast that I managed to snag one of the last Baccano Blu-Ray sets. I ordered it from Rightstuf on Monday, got the shipping notice yesterday, and now Rightstuf lists it as "no longer available".
Old 12-14-11, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cowboy Bebop
Trigun-just so funny
Outlaw Star

Hmm, seems to be a trend.
Old 12-14-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Berserk was pretty good on that score.

When you're ready for more creative stuff, ditto on Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion and Akira, but I'd also like to add:

Rurouni Kenshin
Samurai Champloo
the Ghost in the Shell movies
Golgo 13: Queen Bee
Ninja Scroll
Wicked City

For more mind-tripping anime, try Serial Experiments Lain and Boogiepop Phantom.

I should stress that I'm not recommending the English dub versions. These should all be seen in Japanese with English subtitles.
I don't know if I'd tell a casual viewer just starting to stay away from the English dub on a series. In the older Anime the dubs were awful (and the sub translations were barely readable sometimes), but today it is not that big of a factor as studios have gone out of their way to professionally include English actors. In the case of Bebop, I prefer the dub even.

But then again I really hate the typical high pitch yellie female voice given to any hyperactive kid or teenager in Japanese voice tracks. Excel Saga was like listening to nails on the chalkboard and I had to move to the English dub. Since there is such a small talent pool that does most of the voices you'll pick them out in other series as you watch other stuff so it could also just be an issue of you'll like the voices you already recognize. It might also be a purist snobbery developed over years of having to torrent stuff and get fan-subs to watch stuff. I had to bend my GF's arm backwards to watch Bebop in English since she had a VERY strong opinion on never do it.

I'd never dream of watching any live action stuff dubbed, but I don't understand the current disdain many anime faithful have on today's products.
Old 12-14-11, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's worth remembering that anime isn't just sci-fi action. Some good shows from outside the genre:

Clannad
Toradora!
5 Centimeters Per Second
Wagnaria!!
Kimi ni Todoke (I think the first DVD set is due out next month)
Old 12-15-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
I don't know if I'd tell a casual viewer just starting to stay away from the English dub on a series. In the older Anime the dubs were awful (and the sub translations were barely readable sometimes), but today it is not that big of a factor as studios have gone out of their way to professionally include English actors. In the case of Bebop, I prefer the dub even.

But then again I really hate the typical high pitch yellie female voice given to any hyperactive kid or teenager in Japanese voice tracks. Excel Saga was like listening to nails on the chalkboard and I had to move to the English dub. Since there is such a small talent pool that does most of the voices you'll pick them out in other series as you watch other stuff so it could also just be an issue of you'll like the voices you already recognize. It might also be a purist snobbery developed over years of having to torrent stuff and get fan-subs to watch stuff. I had to bend my GF's arm backwards to watch Bebop in English since she had a VERY strong opinion on never do it.

I'd never dream of watching any live action stuff dubbed, but I don't understand the current disdain many anime faithful have on today's products.
I think I made it clear that I was referring specifically to the titles I recommended.
Old 02-24-12, 01:42 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I've been watching Fairy Tail recently, and I was thinking about how similar it is to Full Metal Alchemist. Fairy Tale is a little more lighthearted, but that just makes it more fun to watch. If you liked FMJ, I think you'll definitely like this.

You can watch the first 48 episodes at Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/fairy-tail

Here's some reviews for the DVD sets:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/51945...ray-dvd-combo/
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/52421/fairy-tail-part-2/
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/52892...ray-dvd-combo/