Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : January 2012 TV on DVD* Challenge Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
12-13-11, 10:09 AM
Welcome to the 2nd TV on DVD* Challenge. Why the asterisk? Because we're allowing TV content from other formats, but the emphasis should still be on DVD. If you TiVo your content, still have VHS releases or just like to catch it over the air, so be it.

MinLShaw is preoccupied with other things, so I'm stepping in to take over this year since nobody else has jumped in and we're getting close to the start.

The Rules

This challenge begins 12:00 AM January 1st and concludes February 1st at dawn.

Eligible content is anything originally produced for television broadcast, including television series, mini-series, made-for-TV movies and specials (including, but not limited to, stand-up specials and music performances). Also eligible are movies that are directly part of the continuity of eligible content. If you are uncertain, please ask in the discussion thread!

Since I like to do a rankings, number your lists in the standard TV format.
With Commercials:
15 min = 1/4 entry
30 min = 1/2 entry
60 min = 1 entry

Without Commercials:
If it normally airs on TV as a 30 minute show with commercials, like The Simpsons, just count it as a standard 30 minute show with commercials.
Otherwise, go by this chart:
12 min = 1/4 entry
23 min = 1/2 entry
45 min = 1 entry

If you're watching shorts that aren't easy to count, like Looney Tunes, just keep track of how many minutes you watch in general, and then put down on your list when you get enough for a partial entry, like this:

63.25 - Looney Tunes

You don't have to type out the name of every Looney Tunes cartoon you watched, just make it simple and group it all together. If you watch a DVD full of them and it's 90 minutes, just call it 1 entry of Looney Tunes.

Prizes will be awarded based on a random drawing from a pool of participants. You will need to enter to be eligible for each prize (i.e., no rollover).

* The emphasis of this challenge should be to explore the impact that the DVD format has had on how we view TV content, but you are not restricted to the DVD format. You may watch your content on VHS, Blu-ray, over-the-air broadcast, digital download, online streaming; whatever format suits you.

List Thread
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/597507-january-2012-tv-dvd-challenge-list-thread.html

Prizes will be drawn at random from active participants.

Our Amazing Sponsor!!!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/chemosh6969/hamiltonbook.gif (www.HamiltonBook.com)

Casper the Friendly Ghost: The Complete Collection (1945-1963)
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/chemosh6969/91QRvD-DqvL.jpg

Dennis the Menace: Season Four
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/chemosh6969/91lB3HmRArL.jpg

Police Story: Season One
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/chemosh6969/A1tnfY7bk9L.jpg

Kojak: Season Two
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/chemosh6969/A15HobbWH8L.jpg

12-13-11, 10:13 AM
3 Wildcards Allowed
These can be used on things that are too short, like commercials from the 20s where it's easier to find those than shows. They can also be used on something you can't watch/find on your own. As an example, you can only watch things from 4 networks, you can use a wildcard and check off the 5th one.

--- Watch a Pilot -
--- Watch a TV Movie -
--- Finish a Season -
--- Finish a Series -
--- Character Dies -
--- New Character Introduced -
--- Actor/Actress changes but Character remains the same (voice work for animation also counts) -
--- Watch a Deleted or Extended Scene (bonus feature) -
--- "Will they or won't they" -
--- Stunt guest star -
--- Show goes on vacation -
--- Watch a clip show -

Watch shows with at least 8 distinct genres (horror, sci-fi, comedy, animation, drama, crime, action, adventure, historical, paranormal, satire, documentary, romance, reality, game show)
--- Horror - Show
--- Sci-Fi - Show
--- Comedy - Show
--- Animation - Show
--- Drama - Show
--- Crime - Show
--- Action - Show
--- Adventure - Show
--- Historical - Show
--- Paranormal - Show
--- Satire - Show
--- Documentary - Show
--- Romance - Show
--- Reality - Show
--- Game Show - Show

Watch shows originating from at least 5 distinct networks (cbs, abc, nbc, comedy central, mtv, fox, tbs, tnt, amc, a&e, disney, nickelodeon, hbo, showtime, cinemax)
--- Network 1 - Show
--- Network 2 - Show
--- Network 3 - Show
--- Network 4 - Show
--- Network 5 - Show

Watch shows from at least 5 distinct decades
--- 1930 - Show
--- 1940 - Show
--- 1950 - Show
--- 1960 - Show
--- 1970 - Show
--- 1980 - Show
--- 1990 - Show
--- 2000 - Show
--- 2010 - Show

Watch shows on 3 different formats
--- Format 1 - Show
--- Format 2 - Show
--- Format 3 - Show

Watch shows originating from 3 different countries
--- Country 1 - Show
--- Country 2 - Show
--- Country 3 - Show

Cardsfan111
12-13-11, 10:14 AM
:banana:

One of my favorite challenges

Giles
12-13-11, 10:19 AM
boo-yah!

davidh777
12-13-11, 10:23 AM
Thanks, Mister Peepers!

12-13-11, 10:50 AM
I did the wrong title, this isn't the list thread, it's the discussion thread.

Trevor
12-13-11, 10:52 AM
Damn, I knew I should have started this myself, and fixed the silly counting rules and DVD emphasis. ;)

Travis McClain
12-13-11, 10:57 AM
If we ever do DVD Talk awards, Mister Peepers has my vote for MVP, the Hall of Fame and anything else for which he is eligible. Thank you for stepping in (once more!). It looks like I'll be away dealing with things for an extended time so I don't know that I'll even be around to participate but I hope everyone enjoys the challenge. We had fun last year, and I'm sure it'll be better the second time around!

In retrospect, I really should have called last year's challenge TV on DVD* Challenge "Pilot" and then we could have had an ongoing thing where each year has its own episodic title. That could have been entertaining.

Trevor
12-13-11, 11:15 AM
^ It's never too late to change thread titles. We can go back and change all of last year's to "Pilot", and make both of this year's "Second Season" (or something funnier, like "a very special episode").

Travis McClain
12-13-11, 11:21 AM
^ It's never too late to change thread titles. We can go back and change all of last year's to "Pilot", and make both of this year's "Second Season" (or something funnier, like "a very special episode").

Well, I would leave it to each year's host to come up with a title but I would point out that no show skips from the pilot to its second season. ;)

davidh777
12-13-11, 11:27 AM

So much for getting in on page 1 :sad:

In retrospect, I really should have called last year's challenge TV on DVD* Challenge "Pilot" and then we could have had an ongoing thing where each year has its own episodic title. That could have been entertaining.

Funny :)

critterdvd
12-13-11, 02:00 PM
Sounds like a great opportunity to burn through my backlog of TV-on-DVD, especially since most of the broadcast networks will be in repeats until at least the middle of the month. I already have "White Collar" seasons 1&2, "Being Human" first seasons of both shows, and 'Shameless' US season 1 waiting in the wings.

My only question is if the standard format for television is 1-hr unlike movies which is 2-hrs, why does an hour-long television show only count for .5? Just IMO, that it should be changed for this specific challenge.

Dimension X
12-13-11, 02:12 PM
Damn, I knew I should have started this myself, and fixed the silly counting rules and DVD emphasis. ;)
I didn't even bother counting mine last year. I just listed the days I watched next to the titles as I watched them.
My only question is if the standard format for television is 1-hr unlike movies which is 2-hrs, why does an hour-long television show only count for .5? Just IMO, that it should be changed for this specific challenge.
:up: If we have to number our lists, I say go with this.

12-13-11, 03:42 PM
If we ever do DVD Talk awards, Mister Peepers has my vote for MVP, the Hall of Fame and anything else for which he is eligible. Thank you for stepping in (once more!). It looks like I'll be away dealing with things for an extended time so I don't know that I'll even be around to participate but I hope everyone enjoys the challenge. We had fun last year, and I'm sure it'll be better the second time around!

Thanks :) I have more free time on my hands compared to last summer, so it won't be as much of a burden now.

I'm all for changing the title if there's any suggestions.

We could do it but then there can't be any complaints when made for TV movies and shows like MST3K end up counting as 2 entries.

edit: Actually it makes a lot of sense so I'll do it anyway

critterdvd
12-13-11, 05:24 PM
We could do it but then there can't be any complaints when made for TV movies and shows like MST3K end up counting as 2 entries.

edit: Actually it makes a lot of sense so I'll do it anyway

That makes sense to me because those were aired as 2-hour segments :). Thanks for taking my idea into consideration.

pagefrance
12-13-11, 06:53 PM
Of all the challenges, this is the one where I have the most unwatched DVDs in my collection so I'm really looking forward to it. Plus, during December I expect to buy even more TV on DVD so I'll be well stocked.

BobO'Link
12-13-11, 07:57 PM
Just to play Devil's Advocate... One could argue the "standard format" for Television is 30 minutes as, based solely on observation - no research, there appear to be *far* more 30 minute than hour programs historically and currently. Looking at my TVonDVD shelves reveals ~160 *different* half-hour programs and only ~80 *different* hour programs. Of course that's based solely on personal preference and I'll admit that mine leans towards comedy programs which tend to favor the half hour format. However, 23 of those half hour programs are pure drama and/or adventure.

To further expand using the movie challenges as the basis, it could be additionally argued that, for *this* challenge, it's the *program* that counts rather than actual length. After all, in the "movie" challenges you can count a film that runs 60 minutes or less, as do many "B" movies, as a full entry even though it'd take 2 "hours" of TV content to count. That's solely based on it being a "movie" rather than TV show, with all appearances of that rule being to somewhat discourage use of TV content for what were originally, in most cases, movie only challenges.

Taking that into consideration, I'd almost argue for counting each *program*, 30 minutes or longer as originally aired, as a single entry were it not for the tallying disadvantage on those whose tastes in programs are of those running an hour or longer.

Whew! :D

That said - I really don't care how entries are counted as long as it's logical to the challenge. I actually *like* the "60 minutes counts as a entry" rule for this one. If I'm able to catch up on sleep lost with the Horror and Comedy challenges, and renew my usual pace, the new length rule should allow me to easily pass the 200 mark! :)

dtcarson
12-13-11, 07:57 PM
Agreed. I just got Muppets, Soap, Reaper, and I've still got tons of TV on DVD I have either never watched or am working my way through. And January's a good time for it.

I agree, thanks to Mister Peepers for his initiating and maintaining of the Unwatched thread and handling this one - really helps to focus my dvd watching. (And yes it's sad that that should even be an issue.)

I don't like each program being considered one entry - compare Looney Tunes cartoons to The Stand miniseries. I can see 1 hour, but 30 minutes (22-30) seems to make more sense as an 'entry' to me, that would help minimize the number of .5 entries or calculations, and while this is purely anecdotal, I tend to watch more 30 minute programs.
Regardless, it's not like it's that difficult to count 30 minutes as .5, so if that's the consensus, I can roll with that.

BobO'Link
12-13-11, 08:05 PM
Of all the challenges, this is the one where I have the most unwatched DVDs in my collection so I'm really looking forward to it. Plus, during December I expect to buy even more TV on DVD so I'll be well stocked.
Same here! Thanks to some excellent finds/prices at Big Lots since Thanksgiving I've already purchased enough to completely fill the month of January. The truly sad part (if it *can* be considered "sad" - I'm sure many of you guys are in the same boat) is I had enough unopened seasons *before* those purchases to do this challenge for a full year. The challenge for me is *what to pick* from those dozens of unopened seasons awaiting my attention. :)

shellebelle
12-14-11, 12:48 AM
Well, since I have a boat load of tv series on DVD that I'm still trying to get watched, I'm in. Should be fun. Had a great time last year!

KaBluie
12-14-11, 12:54 AM
Last year each episode counted as 1 entry and it worked great. Why change it? Isn't it bad enough we have to do that conversion crap for most of the other challenges!

Counting should be done like the Holiday Challenge. Everything counts as one, even shorts. Getting to 100 is a difficult thing. Even myself, with absolutely no life and a desire to watch films all the time, have only gotten to 100 films a few times in my entire life. But 100 shorts or TV shows, that's easier, but still difficult for anyone with a family or demanding job. I thought more and more of us were getting to this more lax counting rule, and any new challenges need to be done the "Holiday way" imo.

Last year I chose to limit myself (not others) to DVD only, with one exception (The Tenspeed & Brown Shoe Pilot is not included in the Box Set). I watched 226 episodes on DVD & 1 on DVDR

Totals
126 1/2 Hour Shows
99 1 Hour Shows
2 Movie Length Pilots

Goals: Completed!
(09/09) The Tick - The Entire Series (9 episodes)
(22/22) The Flash - The Complete Series (22 episodes)
(13/13) Tenspeed & Brown Shoe (12 episodes + the pilot on DVD-R)
(13/13) Hammer House Of Horror - The Complete Set (13 episodes)
(23/23) Dharma & Greg - Season One (23 episodes)
(05/05) The Richard Pryor Show (Special + 4 episodes)
(06/06) Pink Lady & Jeff (6 episodes)

New Goals!: Completed!
(22/22) Remington Steele - Season One (22 episodes)
(06/06) Are You Afraid Of The Dark? - Freaky Favorites (6 episodes)
(13/13) Married... With Children - The Complete First Season (13 episodes)
(22/22) Married... With Children - The Complete Second Season (22 episodes)

Bonus Stuff::
(04/04) Carry On Christmas Collection (4 Specials)
(10/10) The Veil - Complete Series (10 episodes)
(04/04) Doctor Who - The Ark In Space (4 episodes)
(05/05) Married... With Children - The Most Outrageous Episodes Volume 1 (5 episodes)
(04/04) Married... With Children - The Most Outrageous Episodes Volume 2 (4 episodes, not counting the Season One episode)
(11/11) Tony Orlando & Dawn - The Ultimate Collection (11 episodes)
(30/30) Classic Family TV (5 episodes each of 6 different shows)
--(05/05) The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet
--(05/05) The Dick Van Dyke Show
--(05/05) Make Room For Daddy
--(05/05) The Andy Griffith Show
--(05/05) The Jack Benny Show
--(05/05) Life With Elizabeth
Plus various individual episodes & specials
-- John Denver - Montana Christmas Skies
-- Snoopy The Musical
-- Gilmore Girls - Pilot
-- Married... With Children Reunion
-- Kung Fu - Pilot

Giles
12-14-11, 07:37 AM

:( got my hopes up and all...

lisadoris
12-14-11, 08:22 AM
Can't wait. I decided I was going to re-watch all of the Star Trek shows in 2012 so this challenge will help. The new rules help so I can stream TOS via Amazon and I think The Animated Series is available online. We'll see how much I can get through before the Oscar Challenge sidetracks me.

Thanks Mister Peepers!

Ash Ketchum
12-14-11, 01:33 PM
I just looked over my list from last year and my numbering system was all over the map. I counted 84 entries, but some were simply one episode while others counted 6 half-hour eps. on a single disc as a single entry. I think my rule was: everything I watched in a single sitting or on a single tape or disc counted as one.

The (new) current rule will make life easier for me by counting every hour show (or two half-hours) as a single entry.

I have dozens of anime series and live-action Japanese shows to get through. Last year I got sidetracked by diving into my VHS collection and seeing all kinds of stuff I might not have normally gotten to (e.g. "Death Valley Days," "The Colgate Comedy Hour," "The Naked City," "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."). It was fun and exciting to explore so much TV history, but I didn't accomplish my specific goal of getting through the Japanese shows.

12-14-11, 03:40 PM
Last year each episode counted as 1 entry and it worked great. Why change it? Isn't it bad enough we have to do that conversion crap for most of the other challenges!

Actually, last year there was no counting unless you did it on your own, counting things however you want. Coming up with a system for counting lets me do a ranking list at the end of the challenge, for those that are interested in that sort of thing.

I don't really see how hard the conversion is, especially on a TV challenge. It should be even easier doing it at 1 hour = 1 entry. You watch a half hour show, you get half an entry. 2 hour show/movie is 2 entries. An episode of Robot Chicken, and those other 15 minute shows, can now be easily converted to 1/4 entry instead of some smaller fraction that I always hated dealing with.

It's also nice, or possibly shameful, because you can see your total and get a quick idea of how many hours you spent watching TV.

But these challenges are all about having fun and nobody is forcing anyone to count things unless they want the benefit of showing up in the rankings.

mrcellophane
12-16-11, 02:05 AM
Can't wait. I decided I was going to re-watch all of the Star Trek shows in 2012 so this challenge will help.

Sounds like a fun task! I watched all three seasons of TOS and the six first films this year. Most of this was for the first time. I think this challenge will be dominated by episodes TNG for me.

I am excited. After participating in several challenges in a row, I took a month off - mostly to deal with finals, grading papers, and researching graduate school options. I'll be happy to be obsessively listing again!

12-16-11, 10:57 AM
Is a theme night really useful on a challenge like this? The way I see it, if someone's going through a specific series, they probably don't want to mix it up with something different everyday.

On the other hand, for the checklist I wanted to do common things that show up in tv shows. That way it shouldn't matter so much as to what you're watching.

terrycloth
12-16-11, 12:50 PM
im def down for this one as im in a big tv kick right now just hope it follows thru till jan.

this month watched Game of thrones, s6/5 of supernatural, s1/2/3 of Sons of Anarchy and now s1 of breaking bad.

critterdvd
12-16-11, 05:05 PM
Is a theme night really useful on a challenge like this? The way I see it, if someone's going through a specific series, they probably don't want to mix it up with something different everyday.

On the other hand, for the checklist I wanted to do common things that show up in tv shows. That way it shouldn't matter so much as to what you're watching.

It would be pretty easy to do something like that. I was thinking about coming up with a list of something like the 10 or 20 most common plot tropes for Comedy and Dramas - but havn't gotten around to it yet.

12-16-11, 08:01 PM
Most of the things I can think of, off the top of my head, are of the "jumping the shark" variety.

12-18-11, 07:14 PM
Here's a start for the checklist:

Watch a Pilot
Watch a TV Movie
Finish a Season
Finish a Series
Character Dies
New Character Introduced
Actor/Actress changes but Character remains the same (voice work for animation also counts)
Watch a Deleted or Extended Scene (bonus feature)
Watch shows with at least 8 of these genres (horror, sci-fi, comedy, animation, drama, crime, action, adventure, historical, paranormal, satire, documentary, romance, reality, game show)
Show goes on vacation
Watch a show originating from at least 5 of these networks (cbs, abc, nbc, comedy central, mtv, fox, tbs, tnt, amc, a&e, disney, nickelodeon, hbo, showtime, cinemax)
Watch a show from at least 5 different decades

As a reminder, the checklist is supposed to be a challenge in and of itself. Nothing is set in stone and more should be added to it.

davidh777
12-18-11, 07:32 PM
"Will they or won't they"
Stunt guest star

12-21-11, 07:38 PM
Would a "Watch a Failed Pilot" be too much for a checklist item?

We've also got prizes from Hamilton Books:
Casper: Complete Collection
Dennis the Menace: Final Season
Police Story Season One
Kojak Season Two

And the list thread is up.

SterlingBen
12-21-11, 10:47 PM
Fuck, I totally forgot about this challenge and have powered through the complete BSG reboot here the last 2 weeks :(

KaBluie
12-22-11, 05:25 AM
Would a "Watch a Failed Pilot" be too much for a checklist item?

There's tons of these around. So I think it be a good one.

You've got several officially released ones like:

Black Bart (1975) Blazing Saddles - 30th Anniversary Special Edition
Revenge Of The Nerds (1991) Revenge Of The Nerds - Panty Raid Edition
Humor Me (2004) Dane Cook: The Lost Pilots
Cooked (2005) Dane Cook: The Lost Pilots

Too many movie length ones including the ultimate failed pilot movie trilogy:

Genesis II (1973)
Planet Earth (1974)
Strange New World (1975)

Regular episodes of long running shows that were (not so well) hidden failed pilots like:

Star Trek: Assignment: Earth (1968)
The Brady Bunch: Kelly's Kids (1974)

These examples are just a drop in the bucket.

davidh777
12-22-11, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I bet I have a number of failed pilots kicking around in the tall grasses of bonus features, like Aquaman

shadokitty
12-25-11, 05:15 PM
Can't wait for this challenge, I have some anime left over from the animation challenge, and I also have my Ultraman and Red Baron sets that I have been holding off on watching waiting for this challenge.

Ash Ketchum
12-26-11, 09:00 AM
A couple of questions that were probably answered last year, but I've forgotten what the answers were.

I have a number of those Marvel/DC straight-to-DVD animated superhero movies, including these:

THE BATMAN/SUPERMAN MOVIE (1997)
GREEN LANTERN: FIRST FLIGHT (2009)
SUPERMAN DOOMSDAY (2007)
SUPERMAN BATMAN: PUBLIC ENEMIES (2009)
ULTIMATE AVENGERS: THE MOVIE (2006)

Are these eligible for the TV on DVD Challenge? I'm not sure if they were first shown on TV or if they were first meant for TV rather than DVD.

Also, in Japan they release tons of movie spin-offs of popular anime or live-action sci-fi/superhero TV series. Pokemon, Doraemon, Naruto, Ultraman, Masked Rider, Sentai (Power Rangers), etc., all release theatrical movies, some quite short, in the course of their TV runs. In each case, the TV series came first. I have a lot of these movies. Are these eligible for this Challenge?

Thanks.

12-26-11, 10:11 AM
Rules say:
Also eligible are movies that are directly part of the continuity of eligible content

I take that to mean things like The Transformers Movie, where it was a theatrical release that directly impacted the TV series, since they killed off tons of characters to they could replace them in the TV series.

As for the Marvel/DC straight to DVD movies, they all stand on their own and aren't part of any TV series, so they wouldn't count.

If your Pokemon movie introduces new characters or is continuing/starting story arcs for the TV show, then something like that would count. If it was something that could be wiped from the face of the Earth and not have any impact on the current series, then it doesn't count.

shadokitty
12-30-11, 11:22 AM
Getting excited for this challenge. Just made my list of what to watch thanks to random.org. Looks like I'm starting off heavy with nature documentaries as the first two entries on the list are the Life mini series from Discovery and my Wild Kingdom sets. The after my Ghost Hunters episode, I've got 3 anime series in a row to watch.

davidh777
12-30-11, 12:01 PM
It's almost here! :dance:

critterdvd
12-30-11, 12:40 PM
It's almost here! :dance:

I'm trying so hard to not start watching my copy of the first season of "Shameless" until Sunday! I don't know if I'm going to be able to wait though! haha.

Anybody already know what they are going to start off with?

tarfrimmer
12-30-11, 12:58 PM
I think I'll start things off on Sunday with Roar and either Shameless: S1 or Downton Abbey: S1. I want to get both of those watched before season 2 starts on the 8th.

Going to try to get through as many of my unwatched DVDs as I can next month!

12-30-11, 01:30 PM
How's this for the checklist?

--- Watch a Pilot -
--- Watch a TV Movie -
--- Finish a Season -
--- Finish a Series -
--- Character Dies -
--- New Character Introduced -
--- Actor/Actress changes but Character remains the same (voice work for animation also counts) -
--- Watch a Deleted or Extended Scene (bonus feature) -
--- "Will they or won't they" -
--- Stunt guest star -
--- Show goes on vacation -

Watch shows with at least 8 distinct genres (horror, sci-fi, comedy, animation, drama, crime, action, adventure, historical, paranormal, satire, documentary, romance, reality, game show)
--- Horror - Show
--- Sci-Fi - Show
--- Comedy - Show
--- Animation - Show
--- Drama - Show
--- Crime - Show
--- Action - Show
--- Adventure - Show
--- Historical - Show
--- Paranormal - Show
--- Satire - Show
--- Documentary - Show
--- Romance - Show
--- Reality - Show
--- Game Show - Show

Watch a show originating from at least 5 distinct networks (cbs, abc, nbc, comedy central, mtv, fox, tbs, tnt, amc, a&e, disney, nickelodeon, hbo, showtime, cinemax)
--- Network 1 - Show
--- Network 2 - Show
--- Network 3 - Show
--- Network 4 - Show
--- Network 5 - Show

Watch a show from at least 5 distinct decades
--- 1920 - Show
--- 1930 - Show
--- 1940 - Show
--- 1950 - Show
--- 1960 - Show
--- 1970 - Show
--- 1980 - Show
--- 1990 - Show
--- 2000 - Show
--- 2010 - Show

12-30-11, 07:25 PM
At this point, consider the checklist final.

I'm in the group that doesn't know what they'll watch yet.

Ash Ketchum
12-30-11, 08:26 PM
How's this for the checklist?

Watch a show from at least 5 distinct decades
--- 1920 - Show
--- 1930 - Show
--- 1940 - Show

Oh, c'mon! Finding something from the 1940s is difficult enough, though not impossible, but what TV shows were even made in the 1920s and '30s???!! And if made, which is unlikely, what's the chance of them still existing?!

12-30-11, 08:52 PM
Oh, c'mon! Finding something from the 1940s is difficult enough, though not impossible, but what TV shows were even made in the 1920s and '30s???!! And if made, which is unlikely, what's the chance of them still existing?!

If they exist, I guarantee they're on youtube.

You also only have to watch things from 5 different decades. I included them all so if someone wants to do more, it's easier to fill out.

edit:
Batch of stuff from the 1920s - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVuwREbGh3w&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL24D68FC44CF9E9E0
First German TV Broadcast (1935) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suCaJ0IUw8&feature=related
The School House (1949) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG4S5lxYrFA

12-30-11, 09:07 PM
Checklist is posted and there's one more thing added. Watching shows on 3 different formats.

3 Wildcards Allowed
These can be used on things that are too short, like commercials from the 20s where it's easier to find those than shows. They can also be used on something you can't watch/find on your own. As an example, you can only watch things from 4 networks, you can use a wildcard and check off the 5th one.

davidh777
12-30-11, 09:26 PM
I'm sure all checklisters will use integrity and restrict their character intros and deaths to significant, recurring characters :)

terrycloth
12-30-11, 10:43 PM
while not sure how to go about some checklist items like stunt or knowing what will they or wont they?

but may work on that checklist as it looks doable. and glad its starting soon as iv been dieing to watch breaking bad and my tru blood dvds.

Dimension X
12-31-11, 12:50 AM
edit:
Batch of stuff from the 1920s - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVuwREbGh3w&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL24D68FC44CF9E9E0
Don't believe everything you read on YouTube. That first clip is from a 1946 The March of Time newsreel titled "Problem Drinkers." Here are some screencaps from my copy.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9140/pic00002d.jpg
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/4711/pic00003j.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1104/pic00004.jpg
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/1418/pic00006u.jpg
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/6118/pic00007t.jpg
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/6371/pic00008c.jpg

mrcellophane
12-31-11, 01:00 AM
Don't believe everything you read on YouTube. That first clip is from a 1946 The March of Time newsreel titled "Problem Drinkers." Here are some screencaps from my copy.

Folks, I believe we have trouble - right here in River City!

12-31-11, 11:27 AM
while not sure how to go about some checklist items like stunt or knowing what will they or wont they?

Some guest star coming on a show to do a stunt of some sort.

The second would be the episode where they finally reveal if they will or won't get married/kiss/start dating/etc.

I think I'll just drop the 1920s and add in "watch a clip show".

davidh777
12-31-11, 11:59 AM
Since both of these were my suggestions (thanks for including, MP!), I thought I should add my thoughts.

Some guest star coming on a show to do a stunt of some sort.

From wiki: "Stunt casting is a term in casting that refers to hiring well known actors, such as movie stars, to play bit parts on television series and in films."

The first thought that came to mind was Tom Hanks in Family Ties, but I checked his career timeline and that was before he was a real star. A better example would be someone who has ties to the Superman universe appearing in Smallville (which happened nearly every episode--e.g., Christopher Reeve, Teri Hatcher, Helen Slater).

The second would be the episode where they finally reveal if they will or won't get married/kiss/start dating/etc.

That's the PG version. :) My intention was to include any episode from a show in which that kind of flirtation was a constant subplot (well, I guess other than an episode after it's actually happened): Castle, Chuck, Moonlighting, Silk Stalkings, X-Files, etc. But not my challenge so any ruling is fine with me. :)

12-31-11, 12:21 PM
Shows what I know. Stunt casting should also include voice work in South Park. They have a decent amount of celebrities doing amusing work that doesn't induce eye rolling when it happens on The Simpsons.

Even the PG rated shows have a season or two of will they or won't they going on. Doesn't matter what type of show it's on, if it's there, it's good.

Ash Ketchum
12-31-11, 03:11 PM
I don't remember if I made this suggestion in this thread or not, or if I made it last year, but I think people should watch TV from at least three different countries aside from the U.S.

12-31-11, 04:57 PM
I'll add that in too but I want to make it any country for those few folks that reside outside the US that participate.

12-31-11, 10:04 PM
Less than an hour to go. I'm starting things off with Land of the Lost.

The Monkees
12-31-11, 10:21 PM
I know this has already been brought up but I would like to put in my 2 cents. I don't really like the whole 23 minute episode counts as 1/2 an entry instead of 1 entry. If you're watching sitcoms then the episodes should count as 1 not 1/2. I understand in other challenges half hour episodes count as 1/2 or 1/4 entry because most of the other challenges are movie based. But this challenge in TV based so any episode at least 20 minutes in length should count as 1.

12-31-11, 11:10 PM
One of the reasons I don't want to do a half hour show is that you'll get 4 entries for movies, like mst3k or things on Lifetime. That would make it way to easy to hit 100 since you wouldn't even have to watch 1 movie a day to reach that goal.

Just remember that I'm just a temp dictator that will give up his power at the end of this challenge and let the rightful ruler reclaim his throne.

Cardsfan111
12-31-11, 11:29 PM
I like the method for counting. Look at this way--you're not counting entries/items, but rather hours of television.

BobO'Link
01-01-12, 12:11 PM
^I like it too, in spite of playing "devil's advocate" for shorter entries earlier in the thread. When watching 30 minute programs I tend to think in "hours watched" rather than number of episodes watched. The hour length checklist covers all lengths of TV content fairly equally. Even then, hitting 100 is fairly easy as the *true* time watched is more like 45 minutes per entry rather than the typical 1 1/2 hour or more per entry on movie challenges.

tarfrimmer
01-01-12, 12:39 PM
Put me down as another who likes the counting method for the list purposes. I also keep a running total of the # of episodes and the time.

Starting off this morning with Roar. Been awhile since I've seen this and I'm now realizing why Vera Farmiga always looked so familiar. (Must never have been bothered enough to look it up.)

shadokitty
01-01-12, 12:44 PM
Getting off to a fairly good start, got two entries on my list already, and tonight I plan to finish the last ep of disc 1 of Life and work through disc 2 of Life, so in the first day of the challenge, get halfway through the first series on my list.

Ash Ketchum
01-01-12, 03:06 PM
Time for a sticky on the list thread.
:horse:

BobO'Link
01-01-12, 03:14 PM
I've started by lining up and watching series for which I've made blind-buys of S1 but never got around to viewing. Kicked things off with According to Jim - while it's not "great" it's quite servicable so far (it doesn't hurt that I've had a "thing" for Courtney Thorne-Smith since I first saw her in Summer School - the main reason I picked up S1). I plan to watch Community next as I picked up S1 last year from amazon at a great price and S2 is on sale at Target this week ($15). If S1 proves to be good enough I'll have time to get a reasonably priced S2 copy. I've tried to plan a few series to watch but the list changes every time I look over the unopened piles. I'll probably just "wing it" with whatever strikes my fancy at the end of each season.

davidh777
01-01-12, 03:22 PM

Maybe after the holiday challenge is over....

01-01-12, 08:12 PM

I put the request in a couple days ago.

I started watching the North & South (2004) mini-series last night and I'm hooked after the second episode. The first one wasn't that great, plus I was sleepy but now I can't wait to get to the third episode.

It's only 4 hour long episodes and streaming on Netflix, if anyone else is interested.

Dimension X
01-01-12, 11:22 PM
:lol: You should know by now that they never get stickied on weekends. Plus, this was a holiday weekend, so give it a few days.

lisadoris
01-02-12, 06:12 AM
Got a nice start on my year-long Star Trek voyage. It's been awhile since I've watched any Original Series episodes and overall they're quite uneven: there are some real classics mixed in with some duds. Hopefully I can get to "Space Seed" this afternoon.

shadokitty
01-02-12, 06:39 AM
I fell asleep and didnt get a chance to finish the second dvd of Life, but I still got in 4 episodes of the mini series in one day, so that isn't too bad. I think I might stream that North and South you recommended Mister Peepers next after I finish this show.

01-02-12, 07:35 PM
I think I might stream that North and South you recommended Mister Peepers next after I finish this show.

I have to admit it took a different turn than I would have liked on episode 3 but it's still a decent watch.

Giles
01-02-12, 07:37 PM
so can I count the tv extended cut of 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' or would quality it as a wildcard?

BobO'Link
01-02-12, 08:04 PM
Got a nice start on my year-long Star Trek voyage. It's been awhile since I've watched any Original Series episodes and overall they're quite uneven: there are some real classics mixed in with some duds. Hopefully I can get to "Space Seed" this afternoon.
So this means you're going on a journey through *all* the Trek Series? That's quite an undertaking! I'd have trouble with ST:TNG - it just never "clicked" for me.

TOS remains my favorite of all the Trek series but I must agree with your general assessment. But, IMHO, there seem to be fewer "duds" in S1 than in S2 & S3 with Miri, The Conscience of the King, and The Alternative Factor being the true low points. My favorite of S1 has to be Balance of Terror followed by Space Seed, and *then* The City on the Edge of Forever, which many feel to be the best of the series, but not me.

Even though the second season *feels* more consistent and overall better I feel there are more "duds" than in S1 with The Omega Glory being perhaps the worst of the entire series. Yes, worse than Spock's Brain. Among its high points are Amok Time, Mirror, Mirror, The Doomsday Machine (one of the 3 episodes mashed up into Star Trek: The Motion Picture), and The Trouble with Tribbles.

Even the uneven and much maligned 3rd season has some excellent episodes amongst the dross. After all, it contains what I feel is the best episode of TOS, the suberb The Enterprise Incident as well as The Tholian Web and Day of the Dove. But in spite of the bad reputation held by Spock's Brain (not as bad as "popular opinion" would hold) the even worse And the Children Shall Lead and The Way to Eden come from S3 along with the largest group of "duds".

You're making me want to re-watch it for this challenge... and I should as it's been over a year since I've watched *any* TOS episodes.

terrycloth
01-02-12, 09:54 PM
Started off slow yesterday but watched the pilot episode of Nikita based off someone's praise on here...enjoyed the pilot gonna check out a few more episodes to see how it turns out.

tearing thru breaking bad season 2 and its easily becomes my new favorite show.

I was gonna bust open my behing human dvds next, but noticed theres also a us version has anyone seen these are they worth watching?

critterdvd
01-02-12, 10:15 PM
Started off slow yesterday but watched the pilot episode of Nikita based off someone's praise on here...enjoyed the pilot gonna check out a few more episodes to see how it turns out.

tearing thru breaking bad season 2 and its easily becomes my new favorite show.

I was gonna bust open my behing human dvds next, but noticed theres also a us version has anyone seen these are they worth watching?

I've seen the us version and I liked it. But it takes a couple episodes to find its way...

01-02-12, 10:49 PM
so can I count the tv extended cut of 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' or would quality it as a wildcard?

You're fine.

I thought I was on a good pace until I saw was lisa was doing. I have the blu-rays of the original series but haven't seen them yet. In fact, the only Star Trek I've ever watched was TNG. That's only because I worked at a tv station and it was on during my shift. After a few months of it, I started to get into it.

shadokitty
01-02-12, 11:40 PM
This talk about Star Trek is making me want to break open my Star Trek fan Collectives, as I have 2 right now and one coming in the mail. I have the Q Collection, the Alternate Realities Collection, and I'll be receving the Borg Collection soon.

Fist of Doom
01-02-12, 11:55 PM

Around episode 4 it really hits its stride and gets good. One of my favorite shows on TV right now.

Ash Ketchum
01-03-12, 11:59 AM
I'm gettin' a hankerin' for some cowboy shows and there plumb ain't enough in my collection...

So I checked the schedule of the Western Channel today and they've got six hours of TV westerns from 2PM to 8PM (EST), so I set the timer to record all six hours. I may do that some more this month, depending how much I like what I see. (The shows included are: Lawman, Have Gun Will Travel, Laredo, Wagon Train, Rawhide, Marshal Dillon and Gunsmoke, the first five of which I haven't seen since I was a kid almost 50 years ago.)

shadokitty
01-03-12, 01:04 PM
I'm gettin' a hankerin' for some cowboy shows and there plumb ain't enough in my collection...

So I checked the schedule of the Western Channel today and they've got six hours of TV westerns from 2PM to 8PM (EST), so I set the timer to record all six hours. I may do that some more this month, depending how much I like what I see. (The shows included are: Lawman, Have Gun Will Travel, Laredo, Wagon Train, Rawhide, Marshal Dillon and Gunsmoke, the first five of which I haven't seen since I was a kid almost 50 years ago.)

TV Land also airs Bonanza in the afternoons on weekdays if you are looking for more westerns.

lisadoris
01-03-12, 01:52 PM
So this means you're going on a journey through *all* the Trek Series? That's quite an undertaking! I'd have trouble with ST:TNG - it just never "clicked" for me.
Yep, I'm going through the entire Trek universe and it will probably take me until 2013! I re-watch my DVDs and the next discs on the list were Voyager and Enterprise. Add to that the fact that TNG is being released on blu and it seemed logical to just watch them all. There are several episodes from S3 of TOS that I've never seen and I've never seen any of The Animated Series so off to the races I go. I might revive the Star Trek thread in the TV forum once I get into full swing.

I agree that "Space Seed," "Balance of Terror," and "City.." are the best of the S1 episodes though I'd add "The Menagerie" to that list too. I should get to "Amok Time" this afternoon and that is one of my favs from S2. As for yesterday's viewing, I forgot how good "Court Martial" was except for the end. The last 10 minutes or so were a completely different tone than the first 40. "Taste of Armageddon" was also interesting and I think very relevant given how modern warfare has evolved in the last couple decades.

I became a Trekkie because of TNG though I have to say that watching S1 is physically painful. I'm not even going to buy the first season on blu because it's so bad (DS9 is my favorite of the series). I'll start that after the Oscar Challenge.

Ash Ketchum
01-03-12, 01:57 PM
TV Land also airs Bonanza in the afternoons on weekdays if you are looking for more westerns.

Thanks. It's been a shorter period since I've seen Bonanza, maybe about 30 years. I do remember liking it, though.

I used to see tons of TV westerns when I was a kid. There were dozens on in the late '50s / early '60s. Maverick, Wanted Dead or Alive, Lawman, The Rifleman, Cheyenne, Sugarfoot, The Rebel, Wild Bill Hickok, Annie Oakley, Kit Carson, Jim Bowie, and Wyatt Earp are among the ones we watched in our household and those are only what I remember off the top of my head. Yet, for some reason, we never watched Gunsmoke or Bonanza or The Virginian. Don't know why. Probably conflicted with something else that was on. I don't recall watching Rawhide much either, although we might have seen a few eps.

Last year, I watched "Stories of the Century" (1954-55) for this challenge. It's not one I saw as a kid, but I love it today. It features a different outlaw every week, including all the famous ones (Billy the Kid, Jesse James, the Dalton Gang, the Doolin Gang, Colonel Quantrill, Tom Horn, Butch Cassidy, etc.) and some not-so-famous (L.H. Musgrove, Tom Bell, to name two). There was far more action in this show than in most other TV westerns, which tend to be talkier than I like. There were 39 episodes of this series and I have access to 38 of them and watched all 38 last year.

terrycloth
01-03-12, 06:52 PM
picked up Justified at bestbuy b iv heard good things gonna watch some of that and another episode of Nikita tonight

Trevor
01-03-12, 07:10 PM
Sort of speaking of Star Trek, I've decided to finally explore The Big Bang Theory. Wanted something light and short, as the organization after the move from Heck will take months and months. Figured 30 minute sitcoms may be all I watch for awhile.

Ash Ketchum
01-03-12, 07:30 PM
I have several anime features that were compiled from TV episodes. E.g. SUPER GRAND PRIX, which took several episodes from a Japanese car racing series made in 1977 to compile a 90-minute English-dubbed feature that went straight to video here in the U.S.

Are these eligible for this challenge?

BobO'Link
01-03-12, 08:02 PM
...the only Star Trek I've ever watched was TNG. That's only because I worked at a tv station and it was on during my shift. After a few months of it, I started to get into it.

I know *many* people who became trekkies because of TNG. But if that's all you've seen you're missing out on the very best Trek has to offer. I'd highly recommend TOS and/or DS9 as the best starting points with Voyager running a close 3rd. Watching the newly remastered TOS episodes is almost like watching a new series. The updated fx shots are done *very* well and do not detract but enhance the episodes almost 100% of the time.

...I became a Trekkie because of TNG though I have to say that watching S1 is physically painful. I'm not even going to buy the first season on blu because it's so bad (DS9 is my favorite of the series). I'll start that after the Oscar Challenge.

I, too, worked in TV when TNG started. I was in charge of the record calendar and had master control record 2 copies. I'd take one, dub it down to remove commercials, and put it on VHS. I did that for the entirety of S1 but became so disgusted/disenchanted with the series during the season that I erased them all. After the first episode of S2 I swore off it completely. I've seen random episodes through the years but nothing's changed the impressions I formulated during S1. In fact, most episodes I've seen reinforce them. *If* I ever come across a full series set at the right price (probably under $60) I'll get it anyway just to complete the universe set but otherwise I'm happy without it. I actually like Enterprise, even with its issues, better than TNG.

Yep, I'm going through the entire Trek universe and it will probably take me until 2013! I re-watch my DVDs and the next discs on the list were Voyager and Enterprise. Add to that the fact that TNG is being released on blu and it seemed logical to just watch them all. There are several episodes from S3 of TOS that I've never seen and I've never seen any of The Animated Series so off to the races I go. I might revive the Star Trek thread in the TV forum once I get into full swing...
I should do that as well since it's been over a year since I've watched *any* TOS episode. I *finally* was able to complete Voyager last summer. The station for which I worked didn't air the program but I was still in charge of the record calendar when it was in initial syndication. I made sure it got recorded on VHS for me to take home. However, I left broadcasting during S5 and as it was never syndicated in this area it took me purchasing the series to see the last 2 1/2 seasons!

I watched TAS during its initial run and was less than impressed at the time. For *years* I maintained a low opinion of the series feeling it was "dumbed down" for the Saturday morning crowd. That changed when I picked up a copy a couple of years ago and re-watched the series. I discovered that it's actually quite good. I still feel the animation looks somewhat "on-the-cheap" (it *was* done by Filmation - kings of low budget animation - however you could make that same argument about many sets on TOS) but the stories are on a par with many of TOS only being hampered somewhat by the half-hour format. There *are* a few reworked episode type moments, but overall I'm glad I revisited it and consider it to be a worthy addition.

...I agree that "Space Seed," "Balance of Terror," and "City.." are the best of the S1 episodes though I'd add "The Menagerie" to that list too...
I can see that inclusion. It *is* a very good/clever recut/reworking of The Cage to allow it be included in the airings and not be discarded. However, I prefer the uncut The Cage over The Menagerie. That episode demonstrates how similar TNG is to the original concept as far as bridge crew is concerned. Mainly the inclusion of a "#1" on the bridge. I first saw The Cage in college when Roddenberry would go around doing lectures/talks about Star Trek. A highlight of the lecture was the showing of The Cage.

..."Taste of Armageddon" was also interesting and I think very relevant given how modern warfare has evolved in the last couple decades....
It always amazes me how much social commentary in TOS remains topical even today.

01-03-12, 11:17 PM
I have several anime features that were compiled from TV episodes. E.g. SUPER GRAND PRIX, which took several episodes from a Japanese car racing series made in 1977 to compile a 90-minute English-dubbed feature that went straight to video here in the U.S.

Are these eligible for this challenge?

I don't see why not. Since it was originally from TV(or in this case I'd say it's close enough), I'd call it good.

davidh777
01-03-12, 11:46 PM
Resuming Mad Men season 3. Wasn't sure where I'd left off, but my list from the historical challenge spelled it out very clearly. :up:

Jonesing for some Trek after this conversation. I never got to the last two seasons of DS9, though I finished Voyager. Only seen a couple episodes of Enterprise from the Collective editions, and have watched TNG very sporadically. Have seen all or nearly all TOS and TAS.

Ash Ketchum
01-04-12, 09:11 AM
Another question of eligibility.

I have a western series called "Six-Gun Heroes" in which a B-western is cut to under an hour and bookended with openings and closings with onetime B-western star Sunset Carson. He intros the film and provides some background info before it begins. The series ran on PBS stations years ago. The main content is a feature film originally shown in theaters, but the adding of a title sequence and opening intro makes it a TV show, kind of like "Matinee at the Bijou," another long-gone PBS show, which compiled films, cartoons, shorts and serial chapters to recreate...a once-upon-a-time Matinee at the Bijou.

I'm assuming that "Matinee at the Bijou" is eligible, but is "Six-Gun Heroes" also eligible?

Thanks.

01-04-12, 10:00 AM
If it's some sort of version that aired on TV, then it would count. If it's just something with an intro but never aired on TV it wouldn't count. Does that help?

Ash Ketchum
01-04-12, 10:15 AM
If it's some sort of version that aired on TV, then it would count. If it's just something with an intro but never aired on TV it wouldn't count. Does that help?

Yes, thank you.

Qrusher14242
01-04-12, 03:46 PM
for the 'Stunt Guest Star', would Donald Pleasance count on 'The Fugitive'?

01-04-12, 06:15 PM
I would say so.

kstublen
01-04-12, 07:43 PM
As I expected I'm not feeling super-motivated to keep an episode-by-episode list going throughout the month, so I'll probably just list the seasons as I watch them and then figure out a final tally of entries based on the number of episodes. Is that an acceptable means of keeping track or should I break down and list the episodes as I watch them?

01-04-12, 08:20 PM
That works for me.

I don't keep track as I watch them. When I find some time I just copy/paste episode titles from wikipedia.

terrycloth
01-04-12, 11:26 PM
my father and brother were big trekkies growing up. I never sat down and ever watched an episode as I would be a traitor to myself for all those times i made fun of them. however with all this talk i watched the pilot episode of the original series (man trap?) and wow i really enjoyed it and will def check out a couple more episodes for the challenge. are they all like weekly stories? that i can skip to the better ones? or should i watch them in order? I'm not big into sci fi, but i love cheesy horror so i think that's why I enjoyed it so much so I'm not sure how I would do with the later series.

Justified - While wanting to explore new series I read up about this one so i picked up s1 and s2 at bestbuy. FX shows are usually hit or miss for me as i loved the shield, sons of anarchy, and well now this, but couldnt get into damages, rescue me, or nip tuck. This series im enjoying, but is not what i had expected. im 8 episodes in and now it finally seems to have hit its stride so ill prolly finish up the series this weekend.

Breaking Bad - finally watched s1 last month, but held off for s2 and s3 for the challenge. and really am drawn into the relationships so far and for once while some is predictable i really have no clue where s3 is gonna go. I will say s2 ended in a wtf was that moment, but the fact the rest of the season was superb makes up for it.

Nikita - while the weakest of the group, but only because its in such great company is actually a fun little action show. while i dont have the desire to binge on this series like the others it offers a good break when i need something different and as long as it keeps up its current pace (im on ep 5) ill continue the season.

not sure where im heading to after i finish breaking bad and justified up. I wanna check out mad men and re watch Game of Thrones. I also have a big baglog of seasons sets iv picked up heap over the years that i need to finish. Lost s5/6, Tru Blood 1-3, Dexter, and Battlestar Galactica.

lisadoris
01-05-12, 06:15 AM
my father and brother were big trekkies growing up. I never sat down and ever watched an episode as I would be a traitor to myself for all those times i made fun of them. however with all this talk i watched the pilot episode of the original series (man trap?) and wow i really enjoyed it and will def check out a couple more episodes for the challenge. are they all like weekly stories? that i can skip to the better ones? or should i watch them in order? I'm not big into sci fi, but i love cheesy horror so i think that's why I enjoyed it so much so I'm not sure how I would do with the later series.

In The Original Series there isn't a whole lot of continuity so feel free to skip around or at least start with the better episodes. I skipped two of my favorite episodes yesterday because I was forced to do my viewing on my computer instead of my TV (it's awfully inconvenient to have one's furnace die int he winter especially when you live in the midwest). The episodes I watched weren't bad but they weren't good, they were just ok. I'm looking forward to "Amok Time" and "Mirror, Mirror" today.

01-05-12, 10:14 AM
I must admit that this has been the easiest and less stressful challenge out of all the others I've done. One thing that kills me in other challenges is finishing a movie and then taking a longer than anticipated break by watching TV or doing something else.

The last few days we've been watching a disc of Land of the Lost at night before the kids go to bed. We can squeeze in 5 episodes a night and then after they go to bed I switch to the Elizabeth R mini-series until my wife comes home. Then we catch up on some older stuff she missed when she was out of the country.

BobO'Link
01-05-12, 07:48 PM
...i watched the pilot episode of the original series (man trap?) and wow i really enjoyed it...

Congratulations! Have you "eaten crow" and told your father and brother they were right... :)

The *true* pilot is The Cage which NBC rejected calling it "too cerebral". It was turned into a 2 parter which aired in S1 as The Menagerie so as not to lose the expensive production and footage. The "pilot" for the revamped series was Where No Man has Gone Before which was more action packed and sold the series to NBC. It aired as episode #3. The Man Trap was production #6 and aired as the public "pilot". It's somewhat surprising that The Man Trap was the first to be broadcast as it's not quite as good as Where No Man has Gone Before. But "not quite as good" is somewhat subjective as the first season contains more than its fair share of excellent episodes. There *are* a few sub-par episodes with Miri, The Conscience of the King, and The Alternatie Factor being the worst. I'd call all the others in S1 good to excellent.
...are they all like weekly stories? that i can skip to the better ones? or should i watch them in order? I'm not big into sci fi, but i love cheesy horror so i think that's why I enjoyed it so much so I'm not sure how I would do with the later series.
With the exception of The Menagarie, which is a 2 parter, the rest of the series consists of fairly well stand alone stories with little of a "continuing story" episode to episode. There *is* character development as the series progresses but you can easily skip around without becoming lost. The main difference you would notice is more comfort/familiarity among the primary cast as the series progressed with the triumverate of Kirk/Spock/McCoy being better developed. However, you'll not see as much "cheesy horror" in other episodes as with The Man Trap. You'll have to be content with the cheesyness of Shatner's somewhat over-the-top portrayal of Kirk. So, yes, feel free to "cherry pick" the better episodes in just about any order you wish.

BobO'Link
01-05-12, 08:12 PM
I watched Community S1 over the past couple of days. This was a blind buy last year and I wasn't sure just what to expect. I rarely watch "broadcast" TV these days preferring to just purchase series I like and will regularly blind buy S1 of a series if it sounds promising and the price is "right". This one sounded interesting and had Chevy Chase as a cast member so I thought it'd be worth taking a chance. I found that it's a very funny mash up of standard ensemble style sit-com, documentary style show, and parody. I expected Chevy Chase to dominate the proceedings but was pleasantly surprised that he doesn't and takes mostly a back seat to the other cast members. He did one of his SNL type falls in an episode but it worked very well within the context. Almost a parody of himself. It's quite quirky and seems to push itself to be more and more "out there" as it progresses but never goes too far frequently riding a fine line between normal and absurd. I enjoyed it so much I went out today and picked up S2 (on sale this week at Target).

terrycloth
01-05-12, 10:00 PM
Congratulations! Have you "eaten crow" and told your father and brother they were right... :)

no i didnt have to my dd was already to pounce on me the next morning as he saw star trek in my recently watched section of netflix. I dont know how much ill get thru as i have alot on my plate but will def look at some of the ones mentioned in this thread.

just finished s1 of jusified and the finale bulletville couldn't be better named. the show def hit its stride around episode 8 or so and never let up. cant wait until i boot up s2.

gonna try and knock out breaking bad s3 and justified s2 this weekend then move onto game of thrones and tru blood.

MrTerrific
01-05-12, 10:48 PM
Had an off day and watched various things I've been wanting to watch.

A friend and I have been watching Battlestar Galactica over the past month or so, but it's tough to get together. So I'll sporadically be watching eps of that (I've already seen it, but he hasn't).

My copy of Justified S2 has been shipped and I'll be watching it soon as well. Can't wait!

Ash Ketchum
01-06-12, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the tip. I recorded four eps. yesterday, including one I remember that featured Howard Duff as traveling journalist Samuel Clemens.

indiephantom
01-06-12, 08:52 AM
I've jumped in to the challenge. I made an adjustment to my checklist because cable channels aren't really networks. They're specialty channels with no localized afiliates. I live in Canada, so I added our two major networks...although I doubt I'll watch any of those shows.

I have lots I'm attempting to get through and more time this month than usual since I'm off work until February. Fun challenge. Not numbering mine though. That system ain't pretty.

01-06-12, 09:53 AM
I watched Community S1 over the past couple of days. This was a blind buy last year and I wasn't sure just what to expect. I rarely watch "broadcast" TV these days preferring to just purchase series I like and will regularly blind buy S1 of a series if it sounds promising and the price is "right". This one sounded interesting and had Chevy Chase as a cast member so I thought it'd be worth taking a chance. I found that it's a very funny mash up of standard ensemble style sit-com, documentary style show, and parody. I expected Chevy Chase to dominate the proceedings but was pleasantly surprised that he doesn't and takes mostly a back seat to the other cast members. He did one of his SNL type falls in an episode but it worked very well within the context. Almost a parody of himself. It's quite quirky and seems to push itself to be more and more "out there" as it progresses but never goes too far frequently riding a fine line between normal and absurd. I enjoyed it so much I went out today and picked up S2 (on sale this week at Target).

I was reading he finally realized he wasn't getting any work because he realized he was a complete and utter ass and burned tons of bridges, so now he's starting up slow again and trying not to do that again.

01-06-12, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the tip. I recorded four eps. yesterday, including one I remember that featured Howard Duff as traveling journalist Samuel Clemens.

I have to look it up when I get home but I get some channel that's mostly shows related to cattle ranchers but they air The Roy Rogers Show on Thursdays.

I've jumped in to the challenge. I made an adjustment to my checklist because cable channels aren't really networks.

True. I should reword that better. I was in an early morning rush to get some sort of checklist out.

shadokitty
01-06-12, 11:13 AM
I have to look it up when I get home but I get some channel that's mostly shows related to cattle ranchers but they air The Roy Rogers Show on Thursdays.

Sounds like it might be RFD TV?

01-06-12, 12:35 PM
Sounds like it might be RFD TV?

That's it.

lisadoris
01-07-12, 07:19 AM
Moving right along with Star Trek. "The Trouble with Tribbles" is such a hilarious episode. It took all of my willpower not to hop to the DS9 "sequel" to this episode. "Journal to Babel" is also a great episode and we get to see Mark Lenard again. I was also wondering why The Next Generation never did an episode in the mirror universe? "Mirror, Mirror" was an awesome episode and I'm glad DS9 ran with it and Enterprise jumped on that bandwagon too but it would have been very interesting to see Picard et. al. in that universe.

BobO'Link
01-07-12, 09:28 AM
^TNG seemed to be too busy with the Borg, Holodeck, and "Q" to worry about other storylines...

I know I'm in the minority but the Borg just don't do anything for me. I absolutely *hated* when 6 of 9 joined Voyager. At least they didn't get as bogged down with Borg stories as did TNG. It seemed that every time I'd catch a TNG episode it would be about the Borg, a lame holodeck story that had nothing to do with Star Trek other than it happened on the holodeck, a Wesley Crusher saves the day episode, or "Q" messes with everyone for no good reason other than boredom and just goes away at the end. Granted, TOS has several episodes with "Q"-like beings, but I tend to dislike those stories as well for the same reason.

From the episodes of TNG I've seen I got the impression the writers frequently hit a wall and someone would say: "Hey! I have a story I wrote for (fill in the blank for almost any drama/adventure program) that would work on the holodeck! We just have to write the wrap-arounds and change character names!" or "We haven't used the Borg in 4-5 episodes. What can we do with them?" or "Wesley hasn't done anything lately - how about if he saves the day *again*?". I'll admit that may be a bit harsh and unfair as I did *not* watch this series regularly after Season 1 (you can primarily blame the Wesley Crusher character with Riker coming in a close second). It just felt that way when I'd catch the random episode while channel hopping.

Now... I really need to drill through these half-hour blind-buy comedy series I've somewhat committed to watching first and get to Enterprise S3 & S4! Your journey through TOS also has me itching to watch a few of those episodes too! I also need to finish watching The Greatest American Hero (about half way through S3) and move forward with Wanted: Dead or Alive S2 and Rawhide S1. I could do this challenge year 'round! :D

Ash Ketchum
01-07-12, 12:45 PM
Last night I was in my local FYE and bought two box sets of TV westerns, one legit and one p.d.

TOP TV WESTERNS: The Virginian (3 eps.)/Wagon Train (4 eps.)/Laredo (5 eps.)/Laramie (5 eps.) Timeless Media Group/NBC Universal ($19.99)

ULTIMATE WESTERNS: Television Classics 150 Episodes/Mill Creek ($19.99)

When I got home, of course, I looked them up on Amazon and saw they were $8 cheaper there.

In any event, it’s quite a treasure trove of TV westerns, with 167 episodes total. The second set has 28 different series, some represented by 12 episodes, some by only 1, most somewhere in between. Some are series I saw on TV as a kid, some are series I’ve seen more recently, while 13 are series I’ve never seen before. Most are from the 1950s, the glory days of TV westerns. I’ve already watched seven episodes since last night (all are up on my list in thread #27 in the list thread). As you’d expect from a Mill Creek set, some are in excellent condition, some are in poor condition and most are in between. I was surprised how good the color prints in the Cisco Kid series are, as well as the one color Lone Ranger episode included. “The Cisco Kid” (1950) was the first TV western to be filmed in color and, for all I know, may have been the first TV series ever to have been filmed in color. “The Lone Ranger” started out in b&w, but switched to color after a few seasons, which makes it probably the second TV western series to be filmed in color. (I think “Bonanza” would be the third.)

What strikes me as I watch the older wave of western series is how much action they have in them, as opposed to the later, network/studio TV westerns such as “Wagon Train,” “Bonanza,” “Gunsmoke,” and “The Virginian,” which tended to focus more on drama than action. The reason for this is that the first western series for TV were produced by the same personnel who’d been churning out B-westerns for two-to-three decades before TV ended the reign of B-westerns. These people knew how to turn them out fast, cheap, and full of action, so they just switched gears and made them faster, cheaper and shorter for the new medium. They’re filled with fistfights, chases on horseback and the inevitable shootouts in the rocks.

When the later wave of TV westerns came along, they were made by younger people who learned their trade in television dramas and were less interested in action. So you get all kinds of social undercurrents in the western dramas of the late ‘50s and ‘60s. Plus, these new “prestige” westerns had higher production values and big name guest stars (Bette Davis, anyone?), so the earlier series, which were still popular in syndication, began to look cheaper and shoddier to the family audience of the era, when compared with “Bonanza” and such. At some point in the 1950s, there was also a backlash against TV violence, with the earlier action-packed TV westerns taking a particular hit.

Anyway, it’s fun to be able to plunge into the past like this.

shadokitty
01-07-12, 01:27 PM
Got a friend coming over who wants to see some Japanese sci fi, so tonight along with my Wild Kingdom sets that I am working on going through, I'm going to show him a few episodes of my Super Robot Red Baron set as well.

BobO'Link
01-07-12, 02:13 PM
...“The Cisco Kid” (1950) was the first TV western to be filmed in color and, for all I know, may have been the first TV series ever to have been filmed in color. “The Lone Ranger” started out in b&w, but switched to color after a few seasons, which makes it probably the second TV western series to be filmed in color. (I think “Bonanza” would be the third.)...

...What strikes me as I watch the older wave of western series is how much action they have in them, as opposed to the later, network/studio TV westerns such as “Wagon Train,” “Bonanza,” “Gunsmoke,” and “The Virginian,” which tended to focus more on drama than action...

If this site (http://ctva.biz/index.htm) (The Classic TV Archive) is accurate there were several TV programs apparently filmed in color before Bonanza became the first western broadcast in color. They are:

The Gene Autry Show (Melody Ranch) - 1950-55, 91 episodes x 30 min (78bw/13color)
The Cisco Kid - 1951-55, 156 episodes x 30 min color (The first tv series to be filmed in color)
The Lone Ranger - 1949-57, 221 episodes x 30 min (final 39 color)
Wild Bill Hickok - 1951-54, 113 episodes x 30 min (74 bw /39 color)
Judge Roy Bean - 1955, 39 episode x 30 min color
Northwest Passage - 1957-58, 26 episodes x 30 min color

The only ones of that list I've ever seen are The Lone Ranger (grew up on that one) and The Cisco Kid (picked up a MC set several years ago). I know I've seen some Gene Autry stuff but really don't know if it was TV shows or the serials he did. Until you mentioned it I'd not really noticed the reduction in action sequences as the genre matured. I think you're "spot on" with why. I just knew I tend to like the earlier stuff better and always thought it was simply due to the years in which I was mainly watching those programs. The Lone Ranger was a staple when I was young but I also remember watching and liking episodes of Wanted - Dead or Alive, Have Gun - Will Travel, The Rifleman, The Roy Rogers Show, and occasionally Rawhide.

There are others for which I have vague recollections of watching an episode here and there but nothing I, or my family, watched on a regular basis. Quite a few "classics" came on when we were at church or during times I would typically be outside playing. Even then, my parents and sister are not big western fans so I'd have to watch whatever they wanted most nights since we only had one TV until I turned 13 (when dad and I built our first color TV - a HeathKit model). Of course, I liked most of the same comedy shows my sister liked so that was some consolation. :)

Ash Ketchum
01-07-12, 08:20 PM
If this site (http://ctva.biz/index.htm) (The Classic TV Archive) is accurate there were several TV programs apparently filmed in color before Bonanza became the first western broadcast in color. They are:

The Gene Autry Show (Melody Ranch) - 1950-55, 91 episodes x 30 min (78bw/13color)
The Cisco Kid - 1951-55, 156 episodes x 30 min color (The first tv series to be filmed in color)
The Lone Ranger - 1949-57, 221 episodes x 30 min (final 39 color)
Wild Bill Hickok - 1951-54, 113 episodes x 30 min (74 bw /39 color)
Judge Roy Bean - 1955, 39 episode x 30 min color
Northwest Passage - 1957-58, 26 episodes x 30 min color

Thanks for this info. There are six eps. of "Judge Roy Bean" in the box set I bought and they're listed as being in color. (Didn't catch that before I did my post.) I never knew that eps. of "The Gene Autry Show" and "Wild Bill Hickok" had been filmed in color. I'd love to see those. I'm glad there are more than I thought. There are some eps. of "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon" in the set and those are in color, but the prints are so bad, they look like they were smeared with mud. That's a series I remember liking a lot as a kid, although, alas, I only saw these series in black-and-white even when they were broadcast in color. We never had a color set growing up. Only when I moved out on my own in the later '70s did I get a color set for myself. It was only then that I realized that some seasons of the original "Superman" were in color.

I've seen episodes of "Northwest Passage" and they were in color but I never thought of it as a western since it's about the French and Indian War. I remember one episode where the heroes take care of some orphans they find in a bombed-out building. Well, the street set used for the filming was from a WWII movie that had been set in Germany or something and looked nothing like any of the cities in 1760s America.

01-07-12, 08:39 PM
Last night I was in my local FYE and bought two box sets of TV westerns, one legit and one p.d.

TOP TV WESTERNS: The Virginian (3 eps.)/Wagon Train (4 eps.)/Laredo (5 eps.)/Laramie (5 eps.) Timeless Media Group/NBC Universal ($19.99)

ULTIMATE WESTERNS: Television Classics 150 Episodes/Mill Creek ($19.99)

When I got home, of course, I looked them up on Amazon and saw they were $8 cheaper there.

Might I also suggest 50 Episodes of Gun Justice featuring The Lone Ranger?
http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Justice-Featuring-Lone-Ranger/dp/B001RHGRQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325990369&sr=8-1

Ash Ketchum
01-07-12, 09:09 PM
New question, totally unrelated to westerns. I took a break from horses and gunplay today to watch a four-and-a-half-hour music special that ran on Japanese TV on New Year's Eve. It's on two discs. How do I count it?

1) four separate entries, one for each hour?

2) two separate entries, one for each disc?

3) one single entry, since it's one show?

01-08-12, 10:44 AM
If it was just one long four-and-a-half-hour music special, it'd count just as a long show. Follow the guide in the rules for figuring out how much something is worth.

You're looking at an hour with commercials as being 1 entry. If there's no commercials, 1 entry is about 45 minutes of show. So if it was 4.5 hours without commercials, you're looking at it being worth around 6 entries. If you wanted to break it down into more sections, that's fine too.

davidh777
01-08-12, 10:53 AM
Mister Peepers, were you sitting on this season's Amazing Race just to save it for the challenge? :)

kstublen
01-08-12, 12:54 PM
While making my way through Moral Orel for the challenge I was browsing online for information about the show as well as the new season of Mary Shelley's Frankenhole and stumbled upon this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/edy0cF_hM2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure how I missed it, but that little teaser has me pretty excited for some new Moral Orel. It's such a great show, canceled way before its time.

terrycloth
01-08-12, 02:58 PM
i know nothing about anime but i have a few sets that iv been meaning on *re* watching. if a series is episodic do most of them air on tv? or dvd releases?

i have witchcraft, claymore, and high school of the dead

shadokitty
01-08-12, 04:17 PM
i know nothing about anime but i have a few sets that iv been meaning on *re* watching. if a series is episodic do most of them air on tv? or dvd releases?

I may be wrong, and if someone knows the correct answer, feel free to correct me, but I believe most anime aired on Japanese tv, so I think they would be eligible.

Ash Ketchum
01-08-12, 05:51 PM

You can always look these up on the Anime News Network. Claymore and High School of the Dead are indeed TV series. However, they have nothing listed under the title, "Witchcraft." Did you mean "Witchblade"? That one is a TV series also.

lisadoris
01-08-12, 07:49 PM
So I began Season 3 of the Original Series which I had never seen before (with the exception of Tholian Web and Let that Be Your Last Battlefield). I figured the episodes couldn't be nearly as bad as most people made them out to be. The first eight episodes were either dull or ridiculous. "The Enterprise Incident" was ok but the rest left me shaking my head.

01-08-12, 08:30 PM
Mister Peepers, were you sitting on this season's Amazing Race just to save it for the challenge? :)

The wife goes to Japan to visit her family in the Summer, which means I end up recording a bunch of stuff for her to watch when she gets back. I work days and she works dinner at a restaurant, which makes getting through shows take longer than normal. It's usually slow enough that by the time we finish Survivor or Amazing Race, the new season either starts in a couple weeks or has already started.

When it comes to stuff she wants to watch on DVD, she's years behind on things. 4 kids eat up a lot of free time.

BobO'Link
01-08-12, 08:42 PM
So I began Season 3 of the Original Series which I had never seen before (with the exception of Tholian Web and Let that Be Your Last Battlefield). I figured the episodes couldn't be nearly as bad as most people made them out to be. The first eight episodes were either dull or ridiculous. "The Enterprise Incident" was ok but the rest left me shaking my head.

Yes, it's a less than stellar season with more than its' fair share of clunkers. Many of the higher rated episodes are not really *that* good when compared to the better episodes in S1 & S2. IMHO, The Enterprise Incident and The Tholian Web are the highlights of the season. I also like Plato's Stepchildren, mainly because of the presence of Michael Dunn, perhaps best known for his role of Dr. Miguelito Loveless on The Wild Wild West. Another episode I enjoy is All our Yesterdays from late in the season. Many feel The Empath is a very good episode but I've never liked this one and rank it lower than most. At least you've already seen the worst episode of the entire series with And the Children Shall Lead so there's really nowhere to go but up even though it's a short journey.

All this Trek discussion finally got to me and I got out my S1 set to watch Balance of Terror and perhaps a few others from that season... after all, The Galileo Seven and Shore Leave are on the same disk as Balance of Terror so it'll be a easy choice. :)

BobO'Link
01-08-12, 09:45 PM
I made it through 3 blind buy comedy series and then put a couple of others on hold while I watch a few things I really want to watch. Mainly completing The Greatest American Hero, which I did. The western talk got me wanting to watch some of that genre so I worked in a few episodes of Wanted: Dead or Alive. When I got out the DVD I'd left off with on that one I saw the Danger Man (aka Secret Agent) DVD I'd left off with on that one too so I watched a couple of those for variety.

The blind buys:

Community: Very good series. I commented about this one earlier so I'll leave it at that.

'Til Death: This is a standard, cliche, rote, "by-the-book" sit-com. Nothing special with plots you've seen many, many times before and dialog predictable enough to cause boredom. I *did* get a few chuckles now and then but nothing I saw makes me want to pick up further seasons. Being somewhat of a completist, I probably will *if* they are cheap enough but considering I only paid $3 for S1 they'll have to be $5 or less. Frankly I don't see how this survived 4 seasons. Better programs have been cancelled after only 1.

Case in point:

Kath & Kim: Based on the Australian comedy, this US remake got fairly poor reviews. I guess I saw something different than every one else because I really enjoyed it. I should say that I've never seen the original so that could be significant. I *can* say that if the original *is* better, as many reviews indicate, then it should see a US release. I know I'd buy it. The entire premise is about a disfunctional Mother and Daughter obsessed with celebrity culture who share *lots* of "likes", have many differences, but seem to mostly get along. I've read many reviews stating that the dialog is horrible but that's the high point IMHO. You *really* have to listen as both leads severely mangle the English language on a regular basis. Frankly it's the many malapropisms and mixed metaphors spewing forth that kept me watching more than anything else. I've also read complaints that "nobody learns and there's no character growth" but that's another thing that makes this series so much fun. Nobody ever learns and there's *no* growth. This one should have been given a second season. It's sooo much better than 'Til Death. Oh yeah... I only paid $3 for this as well. An excellent purchase and great value.

Now off to watch some Trek...

kstublen
01-08-12, 10:14 PM
I watched some of Kath & Kim when it first aired and found it enjoyable, but wasn't terribly upset about its cancellation. Fast forward a couple of years and I watched the entire series on DVD and found it to be a really great series. Perhaps it was because I had the chance to watch all of the episodes in a row, but I enjoyed it much more the second time around. Made me sad that it was canceled since it fits in nicely with NBC's Thursday lineup.

Greg MacGuffin
01-09-12, 10:44 AM
Checklist question: for 'Watch shows originating from 3 different countries,' I'm assuming this applies to countries outside the US?

01-09-12, 10:55 AM
Checklist question: for 'Watch shows originating from 3 different countries,' I'm assuming this applies to countries outside the US?

I'd like to word it differently now but no. I'm basing it on the opinion/my imagination that we have at least a few people that aren't in the US. If I could change it, I'd say "outside your native country" or something similar.

shadokitty
01-09-12, 12:24 PM
JUst watched my first episode of Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight as part of an Anime Sample disc that had 2 episodes on it. Enjoyed the show. When I go to New York Comic Con in October, I'm going to have to look for the set.

01-09-12, 05:35 PM
I have about 15 minutes left of the Elizabeth R mini-series, 2 episodes left of Land of the Lost and then I start in on the Criterion set of The Golden Age of Television.

pagefrance
01-09-12, 07:01 PM
I just checked off "Stunt Guest Star" off the checklist with an episode of The Bionic Woman where 70s daredevil Evel Knievel guest stars and performs actual stunts! How's that for a literal interpretation of the category?

mrcellophane
01-09-12, 11:28 PM
I counted Leonard Nimoy's turn as a dispassionate, methodical research doctor in Season Two of Columbo as a "Stunt Guest Star." I'm not sure it quite qualifies, but the similarities between this character and Spock were definitely a reason for the casting.

I got off to a good start with this challenge. I'm trying to get a lot of watching in before the school year starts next week. Then it is thesis writing time!

davidh777
01-10-12, 12:11 AM
I just checked off "Stunt Guest Star" off the checklist with an episode of The Bionic Woman where 70s daredevil Evel Knievel guest stars and performs actual stunts! How's that for a literal interpretation of the category?

:lol: :up: :clap:

davidh777
01-11-12, 01:05 AM
The wife goes to Japan to visit her family in the Summer, which means I end up recording a bunch of stuff for her to watch when she gets back. I work days and she works dinner at a restaurant, which makes getting through shows take longer than normal. It's usually slow enough that by the time we finish Survivor or Amazing Race, the new season either starts in a couple weeks or has already started.

When it comes to stuff she wants to watch on DVD, she's years behind on things. 4 kids eat up a lot of free time.

It's really tough to watch shows when people are on different schedules. Knowing that you're a semi-single parent to four kids makes it even more impressive that you contribute your time to this board :eek:. Much appreciated. :clap:

Qrusher14242
01-11-12, 04:56 AM
I've been trying to finish The Fugitive and just started the color episodes. Boy, that intro got real ugly! But the episode was still good. Also, have a lot of Westerns to watch(The Virginian, Have Gun-Will Travel, Wagon Train,Wamted: Dead or Alive, The Big Valley, Lawman).

A few new shows i've discovered so far:
Downton Abbey
Covert Affairs
Suits
Revenge

lisadoris
01-11-12, 07:00 AM
Gotta say, the Star Trek episodes I've watched the last couple days have been less than note-worthy. "The Tholian Web" holds up really well and hats off to the effects folks because the restoration of that episode looked amazing. The rest of the episodes are a hot mess. I don't know if the writers were just phoning it in or there was a mandate to lighten things up, but wow. I thought that first season of TNG was bad. I should be able to finish up the rest of TOS episodes before the Oscar Challenge starts and then I can start The Animated Series next month. Fingers crossed.

01-11-12, 10:12 AM
It's really tough to watch shows when people are on different schedules. Knowing that you're a semi-single parent to four kids makes it even more impressive that you contribute your time to this board :eek:. Much appreciated. :clap:

Thanks for the comment :)

I finished Land of the Lost last night. Now I need to figure out what to start up with my kids tonight.

davidh777
01-11-12, 11:29 AM
Since I can't listen to fantasy football podcasts on the bus any more, I've been knocking off some free iTunes pilots: New Girl, Whitney, Charlie's Angels (yeah, sue me for watching women). (I actually stopped watching Whitney the first time because the person next to me looked like she wouldn't approve.). CA was sometimes laughable, but not unwatchable. My first experience with Minka Kelly other than her baseball thread. :lol: She's a little annoying but (WARNING: actual content spoiler, not hot picture of Minka Kelly) hotter than the character they killed off to make room for her.

critterdvd
01-11-12, 05:28 PM
'Til Death: This is a standard, cliche, rote, "by-the-book" sit-com. Nothing special with plots you've seen many, many times before and dialog predictable enough to cause boredom. I *did* get a few chuckles now and then but nothing I saw makes me want to pick up further seasons. Being somewhat of a completist, I probably will *if* they are cheap enough but considering I only paid $3 for S1 they'll have to be $5 or less. Frankly I don't see how this survived 4 seasons. Better programs have been cancelled after only 1.

You should check out the last season of 'Til Dealth' - it is such a bizarre show at that point. You could tell the writers knew that nobody was watching and they did some pretty wild things for a sitcom.

01-11-12, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the comment :)

I finished Land of the Lost last night. Now I need to figure out what to start up with my kids tonight.

And the kids have spoken.

Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

BobO'Link
01-11-12, 08:30 PM
Gotta say, the Star Trek episodes I've watched the last couple days have been less than note-worthy. "The Tholian Web" holds up really well and hats off to the effects folks because the restoration of that episode looked amazing. The rest of the episodes are a hot mess. I don't know if the writers were just phoning it in or there was a mandate to lighten things up, but wow. I thought that first season of TNG was bad. I should be able to finish up the rest of TOS episodes before the Oscar Challenge starts and then I can start The Animated Series next month. Fingers crossed.
You can partly blame that on Roddenberry taking more of a back-seat for S3 somewhat in protest over the time slot in which NBC placed the program (Friday at 10pm EST - a kiss of death for a show whose primary viewers were very likely to *not* be home watching TV at that time). It also didn't help that the budget had been cut... again, and that NBC wanted the show "broadened" to attract more non sci-fi type viewers. In spite of the semi train-wreck of Season 3 many episodes improve upon repeat viewing. I still like it better than S1 of TNG.

BobO'Link
01-11-12, 08:56 PM
Watched another pair of blind buys:

Better off Ted - This is another very good series which was killed too soon. It reminds me quite a bit of Arrested Development in pacing and zaniness. I especially like the corporate commercials for "Veridian Dynamics". The episode with motion sensors that do not detect black people (E4 - satire which demonstrates in an excellent manner how stupid corporate decisions can be) and the one with the Medieval Fight Club in the sub-basement (E8 - just plain fun) are a couple I really enjoyed.

Hot in Cleveland - I was prepared to not like this (it *is* after all a TVLand production) but found it to be quite funny. Betty White is great as the somewhat snarky caretaker of the house the other three (Valerie Bertinelli, Jane Leeves and Wendie Malick) rent after their plane did a forced landing in Cleveland while on route to Paris. It doesn't hurt that I like the four leads. There's a strong exterior resemblance to The Golden Girls but it's quite a bit different in execution. Some plots bring out the "fish out of water" characteristics of the three younger ladies being from L.A. and now in Cleveland. I enjoyed it enough that I went out and picked up S2.

terrycloth
01-11-12, 11:02 PM
took a little break the last two days and caught up on a couple movies i been wanting to see.

kicked things back in and watched the new episode of Face Off. gonna start up justified s2

Ash Ketchum
01-12-12, 05:50 AM
took a little break the last two days and caught up on a couple movies i been wanting to see.

kicked things back in and watched the new episode of Face Off. gonna start up justified s2

What happened to your anime series?

terrycloth
01-12-12, 03:08 PM
What happened to your anime series?

im still planning on watching a couple series put it on the backburner for a moment bc for the first time i can catch up with a series before the new season starts (s3 of justified)

lisadoris
01-13-12, 07:37 AM
Went through a few more episodes and this batch wasn't as bad as the previous one. "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" has always been one of my favorite episodes from a story standpoint. I really noticed the camerawork this time around and it's quite different from other Star Trek episodes. I was really surprised by "The Mark of Gideon" because it seemed to have a very pro-choice, pro-contraception message (even though the Gideon's endgame didn't make that much sense). "Requiem for Methuselah" was also interesting despite some leaps in logic and timing.

Ash Ketchum
01-13-12, 11:20 AM
JUst watched my first episode of Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight as part of an Anime Sample disc that had 2 episodes on it. Enjoyed the show. When I go to New York Comic Con in October, I'm going to have to look for the set.

I've seen the box set of that series in Book Off in Manhattan. I didn't check the price, though. It would be something like $25 or $30--used. (They've raised the prices on used anime DVDs recently. Single volumes used to go for $7, now they're up to $10.)

indiephantom
01-13-12, 11:30 AM
Slight lag over the past couple of days, but I'm sick at home now and need to return to the watching. I'm enjoying the hell out of Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Only a few left in the first season. Glad to hear pagefrance is watching Bionic Woman. It was a childhood favorite. I have the first three seasons and may squeeze some episodes into this challenge, but I'm really trying to watch shows/seasons that are entirely new to me for the most part. I've a couple more to start.

pagefrance
01-13-12, 12:43 PM
Glad to hear pagefrance is watching Bionic Woman. It was a childhood favorite. I have the first three seasons and may squeeze some episodes into this challenge

I too have all three seasons and I watched parts of seasons 1 and 2 during last year's TV and SF/Fantasy challenges. Looks like I'm well on my way to finishing season 3 well before the month is up. Hope you get to see some episodes yourself.

MrTerrific
01-13-12, 01:53 PM
Started Season 2 of Justified yesterday and finishing today. What a great season! Gotta love Walton Goggins and his Jack Nicholson crazy hair.

LOVE the supporting cast on this show. They definitely outshine the star.

BobO'Link
01-13-12, 07:11 PM
So I'm looking through my collection to see if I have enough titles for the "Watch shows originating from 3 different countries" Checklist section. I was expecting to use Starhunter, as I don't yet own any SCTV, but was hoping to find another program in my unopened pile that was originally produced for Canadian TV. While that was unfruitful, to my delight I discovered that Farscape was originally produced for Australia's "Nine Network"! I knew it had been produced abroad but had never known it originally aired in Australia and was imported to the US for syndication. I'd always thought it was like Hercules and Xena - produced for syndication but filmed abroad because of lower production costs. It's been a couple of years since I've watched any episodes and is nice to revisit for this challenge!

lisadoris
01-14-12, 06:29 AM
I finished The Original Series yesterday and with the exception for the space hippies episode, they all brought something to the table. Now I can say I've seen all 79 episodes. Some hold up remarkably well and others, not so much but I think that's true of most TV shows. Overall it was fun to re-watch the classics and to add some new episodes to my list of favorites.

I'll see how many episodes of The Animated Series I can get in this weekend.

Ash Ketchum
01-14-12, 06:50 AM
with the exception for the space hippies episode, they all brought something to the table.

Ummm, in my household Charles Napier as a space hippie is the dictionary definition of "bringing something to the table"...
http://www.startrek.com/uploads/assets/articles/042040163006bd54bced58b033b4c5b77a865021.jpg

mrcellophane
01-14-12, 08:23 AM
I finished The Original Series yesterday and with the exception for the space hippies episode, they all brought something to the table.

Oh God! I had blocked the space hippie episode from my mind. They were so incredibly annoying!!!

I have been watching Earth 2 which I watched with it was on television. I forgot just how much I loved it as a kid. I just wish that the show focused a bit more on the survival of the marooned people and less on the sci-fi hijinks. It feels like each episode features some sci-fi trope that has been done to death. That said, the characters are compelling and a lot of fun to watch.

BobO'Link
01-14-12, 09:52 AM
^I'd always thought it was the constant pre-emptions, dropping ratings (partly due to the pre-emptions), and apathy on the part of network brass which caused its death. I found this explanation (http://www.mooncross.net/earth2/whathappened.html)as to why it never went past S1:

"Earth 2's producers - the people who had brought life to the characters which they themselves created - were fired by Universal in hopes of changing the show to fit what the mass population wanted to see. A promo was created by Universal for a second season, but this was rejected by NBC and the show was cancelled. This promo tape was found and shown at the first Earth 2 convention, New PacifiCon 1996. No one had seen it before, not even the cast members, and after viewing what the second season may have been like, everyone was generally glad the show wasn't renewed. The proposal was not what we would want for a second season. In essence, they dumbed the show down, until it would have been almost unrecognizable as the one we had grown to love."

Then doing a bit more digging looking for corroborating evidence I found a very interesting interview Clancy Brown (Danziger) did for an "Earth 2 Bash" in 1998 (http://clancybrown.com/articles/vegasbash2.html). If you're a fan of the series it's a pretty interesting read and supports that reason. There's even more evidence, along with what was planned for Season 2 here (http://umsa7.ums.edu/~anniebw/earth2/season2.html).

The "lost" Season 2 promo trailer shown at New PacifiCon '96 is in the spoiler.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4VGW8P06dKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If that promo truly demonstrates what Universal had planned for season 2 and series as a whole, I'm glad NBC chose to cancel. What they had was so much better than that stereotypical claptrap retooling. It demonstrated that they truly didn't understand what they had and how to develop it properly. Most telling is that "the new producers wanted to get rid of long story arcs and esoteric concepts" in favor of more stand-alone action oriented episodes (from the trailer). Of course with the constant pre-empting at the network level those "long story arcs and esoteric concepts", not to mention airing episodes out of order (practices which also helped kill Firefly - although by Fox) would cause confusion driving viewers away. For *that* you *can* blame NBC.

If you've never looked it up, the series was aired and produced on DVD out of order. Here's the proper viewing sequence - The titles are (in timeline order):

First Contact (pilot)
The Man Who Fell to Earth (Two)
Life Lessons
Promises, Promises
Natural Born Grendlers*
A Memory Play
Water
Church of Morgan
The Enemy Within
Redemption
Mooncross
Better Living Through Morganite (Parts 1 and 2)
Grendlers in the Myst
The Greatest Love Story Never Told
Brave New Pacifica
After The Thaw
The Boy Who Would Be Terrian King
Survival of the Fittest
Flower Child*
All About Eve

*Denotes shown out of order.

Yet another series I've not watched in a few years. I might have to work in a few episodes, if not the entire run, of this one too!

lisadoris
01-14-12, 10:01 AM
Ummm, in my household Charles Napier as a space hippie is the dictionary definition of "bringing something to the table"
Oh I love Charles Napier (even though it took me a minute to place exactly where I had seen him before) but that episode was still awful.

shadokitty
01-14-12, 02:30 PM
Oh God! I had blocked the space hippie episode from my mind. They were so incredibly annoying!!!

Herbert!

mrcellophane
01-14-12, 06:33 PM
^I'd always thought it was the constant pre-emptions, dropping ratings (partly due to the pre-emptions), and apathy on the part of network brass which caused its death.

Thanks for the information! I didn't do my research and thus watched them out of order. When I'm done, I'll have to watch that promo and finally be at peace with the fact that it was cancelled.

Ash Ketchum
01-15-12, 11:20 AM
I’ve been putting anime aside to watch TV westerns for this Challenge. So far I’ve watched 16 eps. from 26 different shows. Here’s the list in chronological order, with the oldest episode being from 1949 and the newest from 1966.

The Lone Ranger – 2
The Cisco Kid – 4
Hopalong Cassidy – 2
The Range Rider – 2
Buffalo Bill Jr. – 2
Gunsmoke – 3
The Gabby Hayes Show – 1
Frontier Doctor – 1
Have Gun Will Travel – 1
Wagon Train – 2
Rawhide – 1
Bonanza – 1
Lawman – 1
Laramie - 1
The Virginian – 1
Laredo – 1

The big surprises have been: Gunsmoke, Wagon Train and Rawhide, all episodes from the black-and-white era. All had good stories with plenty of suspense and action. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a complete episode of Gunsmoke before, and the other two not since childhood. The Virginian and Laredo were also new to me, having never seen an episode of either before, although I didn’t like those as much.

I have mixed feelings about “Bonanza.” I need to see more eps. But no more TV Land. They cut them up with lots of commercials, stick lots of “pop-ups” into the image, and reduce the end credits to a tiny little unreadable box in the corner. The Ultimate Westerns TV Classics box set has some good-quality episodes, so I’ll stick with those.

I’m torn between sticking to the westerns (I have, like, 140 more eps. to get through) or going back to anime. (I’ve actually seen 22 anime eps. so far in this challenge, so it’s not like I’ve ignored it.) I have hundreds of anime eps. to get through.

One question. Does the following qualify for the “stunt guest star” checklist item? Sessue Hayakawa plays a samurai in “Wagon Train,” a year after coming off his big-screen acclaim for playing a Japanese prison camp commandant in THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI.

01-15-12, 11:34 AM
I can only seem to stand 3 episodes of Pee-Wee's Playhouse before I start dozing off. It's going to be tight to finish them all by the end of the month.

01-15-12, 11:43 AM
One question. Does the following qualify for the “stunt guest star” checklist item? Sessue Hayakawa plays a samurai in “Wagon Train,” a year after coming off his big-screen acclaim for playing a Japanese prison camp commandant in THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI.

Possibly. I'd just say to use your best judgement.

BobO'Link
01-15-12, 01:41 PM
I’ve been putting anime aside to watch TV westerns for this Challenge... The big surprises have been: Gunsmoke, Wagon Train and Rawhide, all episodes from the black-and-white era. All had good stories with plenty of suspense and action. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a complete episode of Gunsmoke before, and the other two not since childhood. The Virginian and Laredo were also new to me, having never seen an episode of either before, although I didn’t like those as much.
I've never been much of a Gunsmoke fan, but *do* like those early B/W episodes better than the color ones - at least the ones I've seen on TV in the past several years. I vaguely remember Wagon Train from my youth but couldn't describe anything about the series other than its general premis. I re-discovered Rawhide a year or so back when I picked up a S1 set as a CH enrollment. I found I like it very much. I *want* to think I've seen random episodes of The Virginian and Laredo but it's been waaaaay too long. I've almost picked up sets/seasons of each at SAMs over the past year but don't due to the unfamiliarity.
I have mixed feelings about “Bonanza.” I need to see more eps. But no more TV Land. They cut them up with lots of commercials, stick lots of “pop-ups” into the image, and reduce the end credits to a tiny little unreadable box in the corner. The Ultimate Westerns TV Classics box set has some good-quality episodes, so I’ll stick with those.
For me, Bonanza is a mixed bag. I like some and others not so much... I've seen quite a few episodes because the TV station I worked for ran them back in the 80's. While set in "the west" I felt many episodes would have worked just as well in almost any setting. They didn't feel so much "westernish" as "homesteadish". Of course the series *was* primarily about the Cartwrights building civilization in the area. I have S1 on my wishlist for eventual purchase for no other reason than to see if I really like it.
I’m torn between sticking to the westerns (I have, like, 140 more eps. to get through) or going back to anime. (I’ve actually seen 22 anime eps. so far in this challenge, so it’s not like I’ve ignored it.) I have hundreds of anime eps. to get through.
Considering the "Historical Challenge" is coming up in a few months I'd put the westerns on the shelf for that one and work on the anime for this one.
I tend to go by episode promos and/or credits. Generally if the guest star is featured in the "next week on..." promo or gets billing in the opening credits it's a done deal. If there are no opening credits they must be featured in the closing credits.

Giles
01-15-12, 01:53 PM
I must admit I'm doing horribly on watching content on DVD, but with so much stuff on actual TV this is the perfect Challenge to catch up on my TV watching.

lisadoris
01-15-12, 03:55 PM
Oh my the episodes from The Animated Series are so much fun! They're better than some of the live action episodes. "Yesteryear" was a bit sad but the Tribbles episodes was hilarious. Very cool.

BobO'Link
01-15-12, 05:27 PM
^After watching those a year or so back, and gaining a new appreciation for them, I found myself wishing they'd have continued for another season. It would also have been interesting to see some of them in hour length episodes as the 30 minute format sometimes feels a bit rushed.

terrycloth
01-15-12, 10:39 PM
im a huge turtles fan and on netflix showed up a live action tv series from the 90s....im amazed iv never heard of it until today im gonna start it up tomorrow

mrcellophane
01-16-12, 02:14 AM
Oh my the episodes from The Animated Series are so much fun! They're better than some of the live action episodes. "Yesteryear" was a bit sad but the Tribbles episodes was hilarious. Very cool.

I agree wholeheartedly! It is loads of fun. My favorite episodes are "The Time Trap" and "Albatross" (the latter possibly because Bones is my favorite character).

I was sick so I hunkered down on my couch and fell into a television binge. I finished up season two of Mad Men which is so compelling and watched the British miniseries Five Days which was gripping. I recommend it to anyone who likes police procedurals and plenty of drama, British-style. I feel much better and completed one of my personal goals to boot!

davidh777
01-18-12, 12:50 AM
I passed my total from last year :up:, and I think the counting rules were a little looser then :banana:

GoldenWheels
01-18-12, 07:42 AM
im a huge turtles fan and on netflix showed up a live action tv series from the 90s....im amazed iv never heard of it until today im gonna start it up tomorrow

OMG it looks atrocious just from the cover but somehow that slipped by this turtle fan as well...have to check it out.

01-18-12, 10:21 AM
I passed my total from last year :up:, and I think the counting rules were a little looser then :banana:

I almost want to say that 150-175 would be the equivalent to 100 in other challenges.

Last night I finally caught up on all the old stuff I had sitting on my Tivo. I do have 3 shows from Sunday but until next Sunday rolls around, I don't consider myself behind on them.

I'm on track to finish Pee-Wee's Playhouse with my kids and I've been watching my DVD set of Unsolved Mysteries the rest of the time.

davidh777
01-18-12, 10:49 AM
^Considering I haven't topped 30 or so in any challenge so far, I'll take it. Being between jobs doesn't hurt my totals either. :D

I was inspired by the Family Ties thread to rewatch the Alex-meets-Ellen arc (after using the Family Ties Vacation to pick off the checklist item). I love this storyline, with Fox's dry humor and incredible chemistry with Pollan.

Ash Ketchum
01-20-12, 05:53 AM
I've seen four Christmas-themed episodes in this challenge that I didn't know I had. I could've used them for the Holiday Challenge.

One was a Bugs Bunny Christmas special that was included as an extra on Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 5. One was a "Gunsmoke" episode taped off the Western Channel (although this came on after the Holiday Challenge was over). One was an episode of the anime series, "K-on!" and one was an episode of another anime series, "Patlabor Mobile Police."

01-20-12, 09:42 AM
I thought I was completely caught up on all the stuff on my Tivos and then I saw I still had season 2 of The Walking Dead on the bedroom one. At least it won't take long to get through it.

terrycloth
01-20-12, 11:27 PM
caught up with the first two seasons of justified to catch the premiere of season 3..such a great show.

now onto breaking bad s3 and gonna watch some ninja turtles and claymore this weekend

Travis McClain
01-20-12, 11:42 PM
I'm not really participating, but I did stream all 14 episodes of Spaced from Netflix in the last week or so. Episodes only run about 24 minutes so those of you who may be interested still have plenty of time to squeeze it in during the last ten days. I'd never seen it and honestly I had never even really heard of it until its 2008 DVD release. The shorthand I've used is, it's the show that would have resulted from Seinfeld and Family Guy having a baby. It's a show about nothing with an absolute ton of geek/pop culture shout-outs. Well worth the ~7 hours. I just wish the DVD wasn't so pricey because now I'm really interested in the bonus content!

mrcellophane
01-21-12, 02:42 AM
I watched a couple of episodes of Family Matters from my brand-new Season One box set! I'm a fan of the pre-Urkel episodes. I generally enjoy the post-Urkel episodes as well, that is until they delve into the truly bizarre. When Steve's science experiments went awry, it frustrated me as a kid. I mean, I was also watching Full House at the time and while the weddings were too wacky and the Beach Boys were showing up for dinner, there was some grasp on reality. Family Matters chucked any pretense of reality to feature a character that I often wanted to strangle... or at least calmly ask to leave the room.

BobO'Link
01-21-12, 07:20 AM
I watched Invasion last weekend. Yet another in the long string of prematurely cancelled sci-fi programs. It's a fairly interesting take on Invasion of the Body Snatchers, although it *did* move slowly at times. I read that it was pre-empted or put on hiatus quite a lot during its run (seemingly another fate for many sci-fi shows) which couldn't have help with the slower pace and subsequent lack of viewer acceptance of the series. Maybe it was due to watching the entire run in a couple of sittings but aspects which bothered several reviewers didn't bother me. One is the Doctor constantly looking at/messing with water. On one hand I can see the "We get it!" viewer frustration part, especially when done repeatedly, but I felt it worked in the aspect of her discovering what she had become. It *can* be a bit too "soap operaish" at times, but what hour long drama *isn't* these days? As with any series there are some sub-plots that are a bit of a bore and seemingly unnecessary but they don't detract much from the program. Maybe the producers had something in mind for those had the series continued. It also looked as if the series had a decent budget. Because of the pacing and limited number of episodes (22) the series works well as a marathon view.

davidh777
01-21-12, 06:02 PM
I'm not really participating, but I did stream all 14 episodes of Spaced from Netflix in the last week or so. Episodes only run about 24 minutes so those of you who may be interested still have plenty of time to squeeze it in during the last ten days. I'd never seen it and honestly I had never even really heard of it until its 2008 DVD release. The shorthand I've used is, it's the show that would have resulted from Seinfeld and Family Guy having a baby. It's a show about nothing with an absolute ton of geek/pop culture shout-outs. Well worth the ~7 hours. I just wish the DVD wasn't so pricey because now I'm really interested in the bonus content!

Always glad to see MinLShaw :wave: Yeah, BBC has always priced their stuff at a premium. My sister put Lark Rise to Candleford on her wish list and I almost choked when I saw the prices.

I watched Invasion last weekend. Yet another in the long string of prematurely cancelled sci-fi programs. It's a fairly interesting take on Invasion of the Body Snatchers, although it *did* move slowly at times. I read that it was pre-empted or put on hiatus quite a lot during its run (seemingly another fate for many sci-fi shows) which couldn't have help with the slower pace and subsequent lack of viewer acceptance of the series. Maybe it was due to watching the entire run in a couple of sittings but aspects which bothered several reviewers didn't bother me. One is the Doctor constantly looking at/messing with water. On one hand I can see the "We get it!" viewer frustration part, especially when done repeatedly, but I felt it worked in the aspect of her discovering what she had become. It *can* be a bit too "soap operaish" at times, but what hour long drama *isn't* these days? As with any series there are some sub-plots that are a bit of a bore and seemingly unnecessary but they don't detract much from the program. Maybe the producers had something in mind for those had the series continued. It also looked as if the series had a decent budget. Because of the pacing and limited number of episodes (22) the series works well as a marathon view.

I watched Invasion in a marathon a few summers ago. Definitely helps, as does knowing you're not going to get a clean wrap-up so you won't be as disappointed.

BobO'Link
01-21-12, 08:01 PM
I'm down to just a few items to complete the checklist and I just watched Friends: The One with the Invitation for the "Clip Show" item. It was chosen simply because it's a 30 minute episode (I almost watched the penultimate episode of Seinfeld but it's a 60 minute ep.) and was easy to get out. Shows like this cement the premise that the majority of "clip shows" stink and are nothing more than filler. I've had a dislike for "clip shows" since I was a kid - back when these type shows had more of a reason to exist. When a TV season was generally 30+ episodes and there were few, if any, reruns of episodes unless a show went into syndication so a clip-show was run to let people catch up on what they might have missed. Yeah, they stank even in the "Golden Age" of TV...

Travis McClain
01-21-12, 09:13 PM
Always glad to see MinLShaw :wave: Yeah, BBC has always priced their stuff at a premium. My sister put Lark Rise to Candleford on her wish list and I almost choked when I saw the prices.

:banana: I was gonna wave back, but then I saw the dancing banana, and dammit, I fucking LOVE that emoticon so that's how I chose to respond! BBC DVD content is a perfect microcosm of why the whole "supply and demand"/equilibrium pricing model confuses me. Do they charge so much because there's relatively low demand, or is there relatively low demand because the price is so high? Someone wiser than me will have to dwell on this. I just know that I don't own Spaced 'cause I can't afford it at present.

BobO'Link
01-21-12, 09:40 PM
...BBC DVD content is a perfect microcosm of why the whole "supply and demand"/equilibrium pricing model confuses me. Do they charge so much because there's relatively low demand, or is there relatively low demand because the price is so high? Someone wiser than me will have to dwell on this. I just know that I don't own Spaced 'cause I can't afford it at present.
Being a big fan of many British series I tend to believe the latter as many have had full releases in the UK at more "reasonable" prices. I, too, would own Spaced were it priced in line with similar US product. It's only 14 episodes but is priced as if it were 24-30. Even the sale prices are a bit too rich for me. Same for Lovejoy. I own S1 & S2 but just can't bring myself to pay the $40+ *sale* prices for ~10 episode seasons and then the "Christmas Specials" are almost always sold separately, even when they are in continuity with a series. It just feels like British series are at least double the cost of comparable US series.

HyperWeather
01-21-12, 11:47 PM
I've noticed this with the British series a lot, I've been ordering them from Amazon UK, usually more then half off (a good example I ordered Gavin & Stacey complete series last year before it was out here (another problem they take forever to be released here) and paid a little over $20 with shipping and the set is currently $58 on our amazon). It's a pain I can only watch them on my laptop but well worth it.

davidh777
01-22-12, 10:40 AM
:banana: I was gonna wave back, but then I saw the dancing banana, and dammit, I fucking LOVE that emoticon so that's how I chose to respond! BBC DVD content is a perfect microcosm of why the whole "supply and demand"/equilibrium pricing model confuses me. Do they charge so much because there's relatively low demand, or is there relatively low demand because the price is so high? Someone wiser than me will have to dwell on this. I just know that I don't own Spaced 'cause I can't afford it at present.

I think both are partly true, but as far as pricing strategy, I'd lean toward the former. BBC knows that there's a certain rabid fan base that has to have the latest season of Doctor Who and will pay for it. I'd even stereotype the average BBC fan as having slightly higher disposable income. So they price accordingly, and they also don't have deep-discount promotions like full seasons for $20. That then creates the second part: they don't broaden their audience to the mainstream TV watcher because of the high prices. Clearly they've crunched the numbers and are OK with it.

BobO'Link
01-22-12, 09:44 PM
I decided to finally move on to season 2 of Deadwood. I'd picked up all three seasons last year before the Historical Appreciation challenge and watched season 1 then. It was *very* good but I kept putting off moving on to the other seasons. I was looking for a title for the "historical" checklist item and this fits. Season 2 is quite entertaining so far. The portrayal of the removal of a kidney stone from Swearengen makes you *really* appreciate modern medicine. I noticed while watching this season that there's *no* musical score during the episodes. The only music is what would naturally be in the saloon/cat house and during the opening/closing credits. It seems to add to the realism of the episodes. The theme song still reminds me of the one for Firefly so much that I'm looking at trying to squeeze it in before I'm done. It *has* been a couple of years since I've watched that one...

01-23-12, 12:00 PM
I decided to finally move on to season 2 of Deadwood. I'd picked up all three seasons last year before the Historical Appreciation challenge and watched season 1 then. It was *very* good but I kept putting off moving on to the other seasons. I was looking for a title for the "historical" checklist item and this fits. Season 2 is quite entertaining so far. The portrayal of the removal of a kidney stone from Swearengen makes you *really* appreciate modern medicine. I noticed while watching this season that there's *no* musical score during the episodes. The only music is what would naturally be in the saloon/cat house and during the opening/closing credits. It seems to add to the realism of the episodes. The theme song still reminds me of the one for Firefly so much that I'm looking at trying to squeeze it in before I'm done. It *has* been a couple of years since I've watched that one...

I tried watching Firefly with my wife once and we did it based on how the episodes were originally supposed to air. Not sure if that was a mistake because neither one of us wanted to finish the first episode. For me, the characters, especially the captain, were just so unlikable.

I've got 9 episodes left of Pee-Wee's Playhouse and I've noticed the adult and poo-poo type humor starting to creep in more the last couple of seasons. He did a quick upskirt joke where he dropped him doctor mirror while playing doctor with the mail lady. While flying on a magic carpet, he goes over some fishermen and if you listen carefully, you can hear him hauck a loogie. He also went grocery shopping and when he was taking things out of the grocery bag it was, milk, milk, lemonade. He didn't have any fudge but he sang the rest of it quickly.

BobO'Link
01-23-12, 06:41 PM
I tried watching Firefly with my wife once and we did it based on how the episodes were originally supposed to air. Not sure if that was a mistake because neither one of us wanted to finish the first episode. For me, the characters, especially the captain, were just so unlikable.
I watched, or rather *tried* to watch, a few times during its original airings but could never get into it. It was purchasing the set and watching several episodes that really did it. The original airing sequence is best but it does start out a bit slow. It definitely takes a few to get into the flow and gain a liking for characters.

davidh777
01-23-12, 07:06 PM
My kid is a big Castle fan so I got her to watch the first episode of Firefly and she almost killed me because it's a bit slow and double-length. I agree that it takes a few episodes to really grab hold so I'd suggest giving it another chance if you have an opportunity.

Ash Ketchum
01-23-12, 07:33 PM
My daughter lent me a box set of Firefly last year to watch during the Sci-fi Challenge, but I never got to it. (I did watch SERENITY, though.) I still have it, but the TV on DVD Challenge is winding down and I have so much other stuff I want to watch.

ororama
01-24-12, 06:47 AM
Finished the first season of The Walking Dead. I was originally planning to watch a Hong Kong series, The Yangs' Saga, and M, a Korean series, but lately I always seem to watch something different than what I planned during these monthly challenges.

The Walking Dead was the choice of my two older kids, who have been asking to watch it for months. It really deserves its reputation as one of the best shows on TV.

Giles
01-24-12, 02:07 PM
question: how was HBO's miniseries Angels in America originally aired, was it in two parts or six episodes? I am not sure how to count this out?

01-24-12, 03:59 PM
question: how was HBO's miniseries Angels in America originally aired, was it in two parts or six episodes? I am not sure how to count this out?

Doesn't matter for this challenge. You count things based on time, so each 45 minutes of show is one entry.

Giles
01-24-12, 04:25 PM
Doesn't matter for this challenge. You count things based on time, so each 45 minutes of show is one entry.

but the running time of Chapters 1-3 totals to 2hr 46minutes. - I'll just do each chapter as one entry

01-24-12, 04:38 PM
That works too. Doing it by time, and doing a little rounding has it come out at 3.5 entries.

Giles
01-24-12, 07:27 PM
That works too. Doing it by time, and doing a little rounding has it come out at 3.5 entries.

I can do that? - ooooooooohhhh - hmmmm. thanks I'll do it THAT way then.

mrcellophane
01-25-12, 02:27 PM
I started watching the first season of Downton Abbey which is an excellent show (jumping onto the bandwagon a bit late, I know). Now that the challenge is winding down, I am focusing on finishing up the checklist and my two remaining personal goals.

01-26-12, 10:06 AM
We finished Pee-Wee's Playhouse Monday, so with only a week left, it's getting tough to pick things we'll be able to finish. Last night I picked Hey Dude which I thought had 19 episodes for the first season but I guess it was 13 :( That means I'll easily have it done by Saturday since we went through 4 episodes last night. After that, the best type of thing I can think of are just some of those 2 hours of public domain cartoon discs and mix it in with some failed kid pilots to break it up.

shadokitty
01-26-12, 12:54 PM
I have some kids with me that want to learn about horror movies, so I've been watching horror movies lately, but to break it up, I've been still watching some tv on dvd. right now we're working on Superman: The Animated Series, as they also like cartoons.

Travis McClain
01-26-12, 03:28 PM
Warner Archive is offering a free stream (http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-WB-Site/default/Search-Show?cgid=WACStreamTheater) of an episode from Pac-Man through tomorrow. You have to have a WBShop.com account to access it, but that's free and easy to get. (And, even though the rewards system is inferior to Disney's, it's still handy.)

Ash Ketchum
01-26-12, 04:35 PM
I watched some Martin & Lewis/Colgate Comedy Hours for the Comedy Challenge, but none of them had this great performance. A colleague showed me this clip and I had to share it with you. He says this was the first rock 'n' roll performance on live TV. What's significant about it is that it's got African-American performers, an Italian-American and a Jew all performing together as equals, with no elements of humiliation--in 1954!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w8wwa6yui68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is why those old Colgate shows with Martin & Lewis were so great, the chance to catch them in such moments.

mrcellophane
01-26-12, 11:44 PM
Finished the checklist! I plan to finish up the Fanny and Alexander miniseries and watch some more Planet Earth for the rest of the challenge.

BobO'Link
01-27-12, 09:10 PM
I just finished Bewitched Season 4. I'd forgotten how much of a general downturn the show began with this season. While the first half is fairly good, the overall lack of new story ideas began to rear its' ugly head. There's a lot of "sameness" in story lines, somewhat a dependence on the "Tabitha does something 'wrong' with her magic" story lines, a new, not as good, Gladys Kravitz, and the frequent absence of Dick York in the latter third of the season. Add to that the horrible "hippy" episode (I hated those "obligatory" hippy episodes when they aired on any series - they are *all* horrible - written by people who truly had no clue) with its' equally bad "pop-hippy" song, and these all make for some rough times. For me, the episodes in which York is absent feel forced. The special effects are still top notch with Elizabeth Montgomery still in top form, as is Agnes Moorehead and Marion Lorne. There *are* some very good episodes in the season but overall it's just not as good this time around. I remember during the original run not caring for seasons 4-8 as much and *really* not liking them after Dick York left the series at the end of season 5. I've owned this, and season 5, for a couple of years but had never gotten around to watching them as I recalled them not being as good. My recollection was correct. It'll be hard to watch season 5 after this one.

01-29-12, 07:39 PM
I'm not ashamed to admit that I'll be fine with switching to something else next month. Since there's not a whole lot of time left in the month, I'm picking things that only lasted a season, or so. Started watching the Garbage Pail Kids cartoon series yesterday and I'm pretty sure I'll finish to by tomorrow.

Qrusher14242
01-30-12, 03:59 PM
what about shows like Mystery Science Theater 3000 and The Virginian that over an hour? Do i just put the time down for them?

01-30-12, 04:15 PM
MST3K was 2 hours with commercials, so that counts as 2. Virginian looks like the same deal.

Ash Ketchum
01-30-12, 04:19 PM
MST3K was 2 hours with commercials, so that counts as 2. Virginian looks like the same deal.

I watched a Virginian episode for this. It was 75 minutes total. I counted it as one.

I watched three MST3K DVDs for this. (Thanks, Comedy Challenge Prize!) I counted each as one.

Of course, I've got 91 entries so far, so it's not like I have to beef up my numbers.

I tried watching the MST3K version of MANOS, THE HANDS OF FATE, but it's such a horrible movie even Joel and the crew couldn't make it worth watching, so I bailed.

Qrusher14242
01-30-12, 05:03 PM
lol yeah Manos is really hard to sit through...i think i've done it once or twice though. I watched a few like San Francisco International and The Deadly Bees. Great stuff

BobO'Link
01-30-12, 06:06 PM
I'm not ashamed to admit that I'll be fine with switching to something else next month. Since there's not a whole lot of time left in the month, I'm picking things that only lasted a season, or so. Started watching the Garbage Pail Kids cartoon series yesterday and I'm pretty sure I'll finish to by tomorrow.
I'm not ready to move on yet... :D I looked at my Academy Award list from last year and it was rather pathetic. I pretty much took the month off after the gorging I did on Horror/Comedy/Holiday/TV months. I'm probably going to do the same this year. I *may* do a list but it'll be very slim.

I'm debating whether or not I would be able to fully watch Firefly during the last couple of days. It's only 15 "hour" episodes but it'll be a stretch. I'm really wanting to try and squeeze it in, but I started Everybody Loves Raymond S7 yesterday and could probably get that one completed if I do a last minute push...

BobO'Link
01-30-12, 06:16 PM
what about shows like Mystery Science Theater 3000 and The Virginian that over an hour? Do i just put the time down for them?
The Virginian was a 90 minute western which aired Wednesdays at 7:30pm/6:30pm central on NBC. It premiered in the 62-63 season and ran through the 70-71 season where it had a name change to The Men from Shiloh for that final season. I'd count it as 1.5 entries.

Qrusher14242
01-30-12, 07:45 PM
yeah i'll probably use 1.5, sounds fair. Same thing for Columbo i think.

BobO'Link
01-30-12, 07:57 PM
To finish the checklist I streamed an episode of Julia Child from PBS. They took a FS program and *cropped* it for WS by applying a simple *hard matte* cropping! Idiots! Chopped off heads and more on both top and bottom! Totally ruined most shot composition! Did I say "Idiots!"? Well I'll say it again for good measure... IDIOTS!!!

01-30-12, 08:04 PM
Other than 6 episodes of Garbage Pail Kids, I have the last episode of Seinfeld and two discs left in my Unsolved Mysteries box set to finish by tomorrow. If the stars suddenly align, I'll also start and finish The Walking Dead Season Two but I'm seeing a forecast of cloudy skies, so I don't think it'll happen.

Ash Ketchum
01-31-12, 06:41 AM
To finish the checklist I streamed an episode of Julia Child from PBS. They took a FS program and *cropped* it for WS by applying a simple *hard matte* cropping! Idiots! Chopped off heads and more on both top and bottom! Totally ruined most shot composition! Did I say "Idiots!"? Well I'll say it again for good measure... IDIOTS!!!

Because of strict standards applied to all productions for "hi-def" broadcast now, PBS has caused some egregious aspect ratio distortion in older shows. The whole thing is just stupid. I watched "Pioneers of Television: Westerns" last year and I couldn't believe how much they cropped ALL the old western clips. Where's the creative community in all this?

Cardsfan111
01-31-12, 07:43 AM
Just finished the challenge by completing the first season of Modern Family. One of the best blind buys I've made--hilarious stuff. :up:

Giles
01-31-12, 09:01 AM
so when the does the challenge actually end, midnight tonight? or with some other challenges til dawn.

davidh777
01-31-12, 09:31 AM
The OP says dawn :banana:

I'm in the low 90s and am mixed about whether to go for the checklist or just watch what I want to watch (ie, Buffy). The decades are the biggest sticking point--I'd have to surf some of your guys' lists for pre-'60s ideas.

shadokitty
01-31-12, 01:18 PM
The OP says dawn :banana:

I'm in the low 90s and am mixed about whether to go for the checklist or just watch what I want to watch (ie, Buffy). The decades are the biggest sticking point--I'd have to surf some of your guys' lists for pre-'60s ideas.

Last day of the tv challenge. Been neglecting it the past couple days in favor of the Academy Award Challenge, but seeing as how the tv challenge goes until dawn, and I already got two entries in today for the Oscar challenge, I am going to try to go out with a bang and watch tv until I fall asleep tonight.

Qrusher14242
01-31-12, 07:34 PM
i think i got all the decades except pre-50's stuff. Don't have anything from then. I might finish it tonight by watching the final episode the of The Outer Limits (1995 Version). One of my favorite shows ever, though the last season is by far the worst. The first episode "The Sandkings" is still my favorite episode of the show.

kstublen
01-31-12, 08:22 PM
I wanted to reach 100 Entries (200 TV Hours), but I think I'm going to fall a little short of that goal this year.

EdTheRipper
01-31-12, 10:41 PM
I topped out at 103 entries. I was actually way more into this challenge than I thought I'd be.

davidh777
01-31-12, 11:40 PM
Watching Ringer right now as my #99. Almost there! :bdance:

HyperWeather
02-01-12, 03:49 AM
I'm pretty happy with what I got done this month, got through all but 1 thing on my initial goal (well 2 but one was an after thought a week into the challenge), and ended up watching a set I hadn't planned on :) Thank you Mister Peepers for a fun challenge!

lisadoris
02-01-12, 06:20 AM
I exceeded my Star Trek goal so yeah Challenge! Thanks Mister Peepers for running this soiree.

shadokitty
02-01-12, 07:43 AM
I didn't make anywhere near 100 and only finished a few sets because eventually I just watched what I was in the mood for and would skip around but it was a fun challenge. Thanks MP.

Ash Ketchum
02-01-12, 10:31 AM
I could have passed 100 if I’d watched some episodes at work yesterday (I had a stack ready to go), but an office deadline came up that had to be met and I couldn’t divide my attention. So I went home and between last night and very early this morning, I made it to 98 entries (based on a count of 168 eps.—of varying lengths. I would have 100 if I’d been strict about breaking up longer shows into hour-long segments. I checked my tally from last year’s challenge and I watched more material a year ago, but had a lower count of entries, thanks to the erratic numbering system I used (which, in retrospect, made absolutely no sense).

I’d planned to watch several anime series this time, and I did watch 61 anime eps., but they were spread out over 15 series, when I’d really hoped to finish a few series in their entirety. I got sidetracked by my western kick, thanks to picking up two box sets containing 167 eps. I managed to watch 52 western episodes, but they were spread out over a greater number of series: 23.

I only watched twelve live-action Japanese episodes, despite the abundance of such series in my collection that I wanted to watch for this, including sci-fi series like Ultraman, Space Sheriff Gavan, Super Robot Red Baron, Iron King and various sentai series like Samurai Sentai Shinkenja, and samurai/ninja series like Shadow Warriors and the TV versions of Zatoichi and Lone Wolf and Cub, all of which I’d started in previous challenges (TV, historical, sci-fi, make-your-own). Plus I have two Hong Kong series I wanted to crack, including Legend of the Condor Heroes.

I managed to work in eight Power Rangers episodes, but only two from Pokemon.

I’ve got such a backlog that I’m going to continue TV series viewing into February and completely blow off the Academy Award Challenge. I mean, sure, I’d like to catch up on my remaining unseen Best Picture winners, BROADWAY MELODY, CHARIOTS OF FIRE, TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, CRASH, and THE KING’S SPEECH, but given a choice between these and more Patlabor, Ultraman, Zatoichi and Cowboy G-Men, I don’t think there’s much of a contest.

Now to tally up the checklist.

02-01-12, 10:33 AM
I would have liked to hit 200 but I wasn't close enough the last few days and I wasn't going to kill myself to do it. I still hit 187.5 and finished a bunch of things I either started a long time ago or started this month.

I finished:
Seinfeld - We'd been watching it for a couple years and finally finished the last 3 discs this month
Burn Notice - Backlogged DVR stuff since last summer
Psych - Same as above
The Amazing Race - Same as above
Land of the Lost - Started and finished
North and South mini-series - Started and finished
Elizabeth R mini-series - Started and finished
The Golden Age of Television Criterion set - Started and finished
Pee-Wee's Playhouse - Started and finished
Unsolved Mysteries 25 DVD box set - Started and finished, other than a couple of DVDs I already watched.
Hey Dude season 1 - Started and finished
Garbage Pail Kids - Started and finished
Extreme Couponing All-Stars - Backlogged DVR stuff my wife likes

The only thing I missed that I wanted to do was watch The Walking Dead season 2. That's the only show I have backlogged on my Tivo.

I'll give everyone till Monday morning to finalize lists and then I'll do rankings and prizes later that week.

pagefrance
02-01-12, 10:45 AM
I'm quite frankly disappointed in myself - 95 entries. Perhaps I could have had more if I has stuck solely to TV episodes but I did watch a few made for TV movies which I counted as 1 entry each. Still, it was lots of fun. The best viewing experience was seeing the entire season 3 of The Bionic Woman, that show still holds up very well.

Ash Ketchum
02-01-12, 11:02 AM
Checklist questions:

What do these mean:

--- "Will they or won't they" - ?
--- Show goes on vacation - ?

More importantly, why the hell wasn't "western" included in the list of genres????

davidh777
02-01-12, 12:14 PM
I really enjoyed this challenge. Keeping up with weekly TV is a job by itself so I'm glad to get "credit" for it. Plus I sampled a bunch of new shows through a backlog of free iTunes pilots, finally finished Mad Men season 3 (started for the historical challenge), finally started Buffy and finished season 1, sampled Shameless (U.S.), and even got credit for my kid's annoying Nick and Disney Channel shows. :lol: In the end, I gave up on the checklist (which was closer than I've ever come) and just went for the 100 with stuff I wanted to watch.

First time I've hit 100 on any challenge, and granted it's not as much of an achievement as it would be in the movie=1 challenges, it's saying something since there have only been a handful of times when I've even hit 30. It helps that I was jobless for the second half of the month. Not that I watched much during the day, but my job often took evening hours as well so that made a big difference.

So much I still wanted to watch: Band of Brothers, True Blood, The Prisoner, Pride and Prejudice... Those will have to wait for a different challenge.

Thanks, Mister Peepers and all discussion participants!

Checklist questions:

What do these mean:

More importantly, why the hell wasn't "western" included in the list of genres????

We discussed the first earlier, but it's for the subgenre of male and female leads (often crime shows) who have an ongoing flirtation: Castle, Moonlighting, X-Files, etc.

Show goes on vacation is a popular tradition, often for made-for-TV movies, that takes sitcom characters and throws them into a different environment. I watched A Family Ties Vacation for this requirement.

And I agree that Westerns would have been a good genre. Honestly I struggled a bit with some of those, like "satire" and "romance." For "paranormal" I figured I'd have to go with Paranormal State or Ghost Whisperer, but decided Scooby-Doo would have to doo, er, do.

terrycloth
02-01-12, 12:23 PM
i fizzled out the last week or so to watch some horror that i was going thru withdrawl. however i watched alot more then i thought and finished breaking bad s2/3 and justified s1/2 and nikita. and got exposed to to some new shows im gonna continue...just at a slower pace.

02-01-12, 12:25 PM
Checklist questions:

What do these mean:

1. It's described earlier in the thread. I have to take off in a bit, otherwise I'd look it up. Short answer is "Will madam and mister get married/date/kiss/divorce/adopt/etc" type things that are usually a two parter with the cliffhanger at the end of the first episode.

2. Perfect example are those old enough to have watched ABC sitcoms in the 80s when the family would always take a trip to Disneyworld. I think less fortunate sitcoms from other stations went to places like Knott's Berry Farm. Hawaii was a popular destination for sitcoms in the '70s.

3. The checklist was an early morning, last minute project. No reason it shouldn't have been there other than my forgetfulness.

Qrusher14242
02-01-12, 01:59 PM
i almost got 200, but came up 2 short. Would of got there, but the Academy Awards Challenage overlapped with it and i wanted to start that. :(

I didnt finish a few shows i wanted to, but discovered a few instead(Luther, Downton Abbey)
I did finish 9 seasons, but were short seasons or just 30 min shows. I got to finally finish The Outer Limits (1995). Had been stuck in the Seventh season, cause i lost my dvds for a while, but finally found em last month. I'll probably take a break from watching this much tv shows for a while, kinda got burnt out on em heh

Greg MacGuffin
02-01-12, 02:31 PM
I didn't watch as much as some of you, but I did discover Community, and for that alone, the challenge was a huge success for me.

EdTheRipper
02-01-12, 02:42 PM
I didn't watch as much as some of you, but I did discover Community, and for that alone, the challenge was a huge success for me.

I discovered it for the comedy challenge. Loved it. For me, the biggest discoveries of this one were Party Down and American Dad. I'd never seen either previously. I'm definitely planning to continue watching both shows into February.

BobO'Link
02-01-12, 08:32 PM
...I’ve got such a backlog that I’m going to continue TV series viewing into February and completely blow off the Academy Award Challenge. I mean, sure, I’d like to catch up on my remaining unseen Best Picture winners, BROADWAY MELODY, CHARIOTS OF FIRE, TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, CRASH, and THE KING’S SPEECH, but given a choice between these and more Patlabor, Ultraman, Zatoichi and Cowboy G-Men, I don’t think there’s much of a contest.

Now to tally up the checklist.
I'm with you on that one. I managed to finish S7 of Everybody Loves Raymond last night. Part of me wants to watch some of those Academy Award winning films I've picked up since last year but I'm still pumped about watching TVonDVD, not to mention the backlog, so am continuing with that instead. Watching more Farscape tonight! :)

I'll read the Academy Award thread but probably won't participate this year and skip to the Historical Challenge instead. Or is the Make-your-own Challenge after AA? Well... whichever one tail ends the AA Challenge I'll probably be there! :D

Thanks for taking over this year Mister Peepers!

kstublen
02-01-12, 08:50 PM
So here's my final tally:

Total Entries = 92.875 | Total TV Time = 185 Hours, 45 Minutes

Like I said, I'm a little disappointed I didn't reach 100 Entries for 200 TV Hours, but given the fact I'm done with school and actually working now I guess that was to be expected. And, as usual, I ended up watching a lot of stuff I didn't plan on at the start, which is sort of good, but also bad since it doesn't lower my unwatched pile.

02-06-12, 10:24 AM
Prizes will be drawn at random from active participants.

Our Amazing Sponsor!!!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/chemosh6969/hamiltonbook.gif (www.HamiltonBook.com)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/chemosh6969/91QRvD-DqvL.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/chemosh6969/91lB3HmRArL.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/chemosh6969/A1tnfY7bk9L.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/chemosh6969/A15HobbWH8L.jpg

Trevor
02-06-12, 11:11 AM
Great job everyone, lots of impressive numbers and nicely formatted lists.

I ended up watching most of two season 1 sets, Nurse Jackie and Big Bang Theory, and really enjoyed both. Also thirty or so random sports or kids shows throughout the month, but I won't list those.

Time to update my list post.

davidh777
02-06-12, 12:07 PM
Thanks, Mister Peepers and sponsors! My list is complete but I just updated my close-but-no-cigar checklist.

BobO'Link
02-06-12, 07:48 PM
Thanks again, Mister Peepers! And special thanks to Hamiltonbook.com (aka GoldenWheels) for the great prizes! Should I be lucky enough to win one I don't know if I'd pick Casper or Dennis! :D

Trevor
02-17-12, 08:59 AM
Bump for prizes !

GoldenWheels
02-17-12, 09:34 AM
Bump for prizes !

I'm ready whenever I get the winners addresses guys. (sorry peeps...not trying to throw you under the bus there! ;) )

02-17-12, 09:44 AM
Doing it tomorrow morning.

02-18-12, 11:49 AM
150+ Club
BobO'Link - 236
tarfrimmer - 227
KaBluie - 202.5
Qrusher14242 - 198
Mister Peepers - 187.5
kstublen - 185.75
hbsvb - 182
HyperWeather - 167
mrcellophane - 157

125-149 Club
MrTerrific - 147
shellebelle - 126

100-124 Club
cardsfan111 - 108
Darkgod - 108
Emma311 - 108
Giles - 107
EdTheRipper - 103
davidh777 - 101

75-99 Club
Ash Ketchum - 98
pagefrance - 95
Chad - 94
acubfaninmd - 92
lisadoris - 90
terrycloth - 86

50-74 Club
Surfinhank - 68
InnocentBlood - 64
SmoothJamieM - 61
jmsmath - 59
Dimension X - 50

25-49 Club
shadokitty - 42
Jeffy Pop - 41.5
Bladz - 34
dtcarson - 33.5
RKillgore - 28

1-24 Club
indy2003 - 20
critterdvd - 19
William Fuld - 12
Corey31 - 9
Trevor - 8.25
ororama - 5
llandros - 4

Didn't Number Club
PopcornBandit
indiephantom*

Prize Winners
llandros

BobO'Link

Ash Ketchum

jmsmath

Prize winners should PM me, or cut out the middleman and go straight to GoldenWheels, with a mailing address.

kstublen
02-18-12, 11:52 AM
I actually did number, sort of. I had 92.875 entries.

Dimension X
02-18-12, 12:00 PM
:sad: I really wanted Dennis the Menace. Or Police Story. Or Kojak... :lol:

Congrats to the winners! Thanks to Mister Peepers for running the Challenge. I had a great time watching Starsky & Hutch and Bob Newhart again (I'm looking forward to watching season three of both next Jan.).

And, once again, a big thanks to GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books for another group of great prizes.

shadokitty
02-18-12, 12:14 PM
Congrats to the winners. I had a great time in this challenge. Thanks MP for running it.

Giles
02-18-12, 12:33 PM
what does the * mean Mister Peepers?

BobO'Link
02-18-12, 01:01 PM
Thanks again Mister Peepers! And a very big thanks to GoldenWheels (Hamilton Books) for prizes!

I enjoyed this one so much that I put off participating in the Academy Awards challenge until I'd completed watching the entire run of Farscape. It had been a couple of years since I'd watched *any* episode of that series. It was quite nice to watch it all again.

And, yeah... what *does* the "*" in the listings indicate?