January 2012 TV on DVD* Challenge Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-13-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the 2nd TV on DVD* Challenge. Why the asterisk? Because we're allowing TV content from other formats, but the emphasis should still be on DVD. If you TiVo your content, still have VHS releases or just like to catch it over the air, so be it.

MinLShaw is preoccupied with other things, so I'm stepping in to take over this year since nobody else has jumped in and we're getting close to the start.

The Rules
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]
  4. [*]

* The emphasis of this challenge should be to explore the impact that the DVD format has had on how we view TV content, but you are not restricted to the DVD format. You may watch your content on VHS, Blu-ray, over-the-air broadcast, digital download, online streaming; whatever format suits you.

Prizes will be drawn at random from active participants.

Our Amazing Sponsor!!!

Casper the Friendly Ghost: The Complete Collection (1945-1963)

Dennis the Menace: Season Four

Police Story: Season One

Kojak: Season Two

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 02-06-12 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-13-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

re: January 2012 TV on DVD* Challenge Discussion Thread

3 Wildcards Allowed
These can be used on things that are too short, like commercials from the 20s where it's easier to find those than shows. They can also be used on something you can't watch/find on your own. As an example, you can only watch things from 4 networks, you can use a wildcard and check off the 5th one.

--- Watch a Pilot -
--- Watch a TV Movie -
--- Finish a Season -
--- Finish a Series -
--- Character Dies -
--- New Character Introduced -
--- Actor/Actress changes but Character remains the same (voice work for animation also counts) -
--- Watch a Deleted or Extended Scene (bonus feature) -
--- "Will they or won't they" -
--- Stunt guest star -
--- Show goes on vacation -
--- Watch a clip show -

Watch shows with at least 8 distinct genres (horror, sci-fi, comedy, animation, drama, crime, action, adventure, historical, paranormal, satire, documentary, romance, reality, game show)
--- Horror - Show
--- Sci-Fi - Show
--- Comedy - Show
--- Animation - Show
--- Drama - Show
--- Crime - Show
--- Action - Show
--- Adventure - Show
--- Historical - Show
--- Paranormal - Show
--- Satire - Show
--- Documentary - Show
--- Romance - Show
--- Reality - Show
--- Game Show - Show

Watch shows originating from at least 5 distinct networks (cbs, abc, nbc, comedy central, mtv, fox, tbs, tnt, amc, a&e, disney, nickelodeon, hbo, showtime, cinemax)
--- Network 1 - Show
--- Network 2 - Show
--- Network 3 - Show
--- Network 4 - Show
--- Network 5 - Show

Watch shows from at least 5 distinct decades
--- 1930 - Show
--- 1940 - Show
--- 1950 - Show
--- 1960 - Show
--- 1970 - Show
--- 1980 - Show
--- 1990 - Show
--- 2000 - Show
--- 2010 - Show

Watch shows on 3 different formats
--- Format 1 - Show
--- Format 2 - Show
--- Format 3 - Show

Watch shows originating from 3 different countries
--- Country 1 - Show
--- Country 2 - Show
--- Country 3 - Show

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 12-31-11 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-13-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

One of my favorite challenges
Old 12-13-11, 10:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

boo-yah!
Old 12-13-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Thanks, Mister Peepers!
Old 12-13-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did the wrong title, this isn't the list thread, it's the discussion thread.
Old 12-13-11, 10:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Damn, I knew I should have started this myself, and fixed the silly counting rules and DVD emphasis.
Old 12-13-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

If we ever do DVD Talk awards, Mister Peepers has my vote for MVP, the Hall of Fame and anything else for which he is eligible. Thank you for stepping in (once more!). It looks like I'll be away dealing with things for an extended time so I don't know that I'll even be around to participate but I hope everyone enjoys the challenge. We had fun last year, and I'm sure it'll be better the second time around!

In retrospect, I really should have called last year's challenge TV on DVD* Challenge "Pilot" and then we could have had an ongoing thing where each year has its own episodic title. That could have been entertaining.
Old 12-13-11, 11:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

^ It's never too late to change thread titles. We can go back and change all of last year's to "Pilot", and make both of this year's "Second Season" (or something funnier, like "a very special episode").
Old 12-13-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ It's never too late to change thread titles. We can go back and change all of last year's to "Pilot", and make both of this year's "Second Season" (or something funnier, like "a very special episode").
Well, I would leave it to each year's host to come up with a title but I would point out that no show skips from the pilot to its second season.
Old 12-13-11, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
So much for getting in on page 1

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
In retrospect, I really should have called last year's challenge TV on DVD* Challenge "Pilot" and then we could have had an ongoing thing where each year has its own episodic title. That could have been entertaining.
Funny
Old 12-13-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: January 2012 TV on DVD* Challenge Discussion Thread

Sounds like a great opportunity to burn through my backlog of TV-on-DVD, especially since most of the broadcast networks will be in repeats until at least the middle of the month. I already have "White Collar" seasons 1&2, "Being Human" first seasons of both shows, and 'Shameless' US season 1 waiting in the wings.

My only question is if the standard format for television is 1-hr unlike movies which is 2-hrs, why does an hour-long television show only count for .5? Just IMO, that it should be changed for this specific challenge.
Old 12-13-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Damn, I knew I should have started this myself, and fixed the silly counting rules and DVD emphasis.
I didn't even bother counting mine last year. I just listed the days I watched next to the titles as I watched them.
Originally Posted by critterdvd
My only question is if the standard format for television is 1-hr unlike movies which is 2-hrs, why does an hour-long television show only count for .5? Just IMO, that it should be changed for this specific challenge.
If we have to number our lists, I say go with this.
Old 12-13-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
If we ever do DVD Talk awards, Mister Peepers has my vote for MVP, the Hall of Fame and anything else for which he is eligible. Thank you for stepping in (once more!). It looks like I'll be away dealing with things for an extended time so I don't know that I'll even be around to participate but I hope everyone enjoys the challenge. We had fun last year, and I'm sure it'll be better the second time around!

Thanks I have more free time on my hands compared to last summer, so it won't be as much of a burden now.

I'm all for changing the title if there's any suggestions.

Originally Posted by critterdvd
We could do it but then there can't be any complaints when made for TV movies and shows like MST3K end up counting as 2 entries.

edit: Actually it makes a lot of sense so I'll do it anyway
Old 12-13-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We could do it but then there can't be any complaints when made for TV movies and shows like MST3K end up counting as 2 entries.

edit: Actually it makes a lot of sense so I'll do it anyway
That makes sense to me because those were aired as 2-hour segments . Thanks for taking my idea into consideration.
Old 12-13-11, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of all the challenges, this is the one where I have the most unwatched DVDs in my collection so I'm really looking forward to it. Plus, during December I expect to buy even more TV on DVD so I'll be well stocked.
Old 12-13-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Just to play Devil's Advocate... One could argue the "standard format" for Television is 30 minutes as, based solely on observation - no research, there appear to be *far* more 30 minute than hour programs historically and currently. Looking at my TVonDVD shelves reveals ~160 *different* half-hour programs and only ~80 *different* hour programs. Of course that's based solely on personal preference and I'll admit that mine leans towards comedy programs which tend to favor the half hour format. However, 23 of those half hour programs are pure drama and/or adventure.

To further expand using the movie challenges as the basis, it could be additionally argued that, for *this* challenge, it's the *program* that counts rather than actual length. After all, in the "movie" challenges you can count a film that runs 60 minutes or less, as do many "B" movies, as a full entry even though it'd take 2 "hours" of TV content to count. That's solely based on it being a "movie" rather than TV show, with all appearances of that rule being to somewhat discourage use of TV content for what were originally, in most cases, movie only challenges.

Taking that into consideration, I'd almost argue for counting each *program*, 30 minutes or longer as originally aired, as a single entry were it not for the tallying disadvantage on those whose tastes in programs are of those running an hour or longer.

Whew!

That said - I really don't care how entries are counted as long as it's logical to the challenge. I actually *like* the "60 minutes counts as a entry" rule for this one. If I'm able to catch up on sleep lost with the Horror and Comedy challenges, and renew my usual pace, the new length rule should allow me to easily pass the 200 mark!

Last edited by BobO'Link; 12-13-11 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-13-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Agreed. I just got Muppets, Soap, Reaper, and I've still got tons of TV on DVD I have either never watched or am working my way through. And January's a good time for it.

I agree, thanks to Mister Peepers for his initiating and maintaining of the Unwatched thread and handling this one - really helps to focus my dvd watching. (And yes it's sad that that should even be an issue.)

I don't like each program being considered one entry - compare Looney Tunes cartoons to The Stand miniseries. I can see 1 hour, but 30 minutes (22-30) seems to make more sense as an 'entry' to me, that would help minimize the number of .5 entries or calculations, and while this is purely anecdotal, I tend to watch more 30 minute programs.
Regardless, it's not like it's that difficult to count 30 minutes as .5, so if that's the consensus, I can roll with that.
Old 12-13-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by pagefrance
Of all the challenges, this is the one where I have the most unwatched DVDs in my collection so I'm really looking forward to it. Plus, during December I expect to buy even more TV on DVD so I'll be well stocked.
Same here! Thanks to some excellent finds/prices at Big Lots since Thanksgiving I've already purchased enough to completely fill the month of January. The truly sad part (if it *can* be considered "sad" - I'm sure many of you guys are in the same boat) is I had enough unopened seasons *before* those purchases to do this challenge for a full year. The challenge for me is *what to pick* from those dozens of unopened seasons awaiting my attention.
Old 12-14-11, 12:48 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, since I have a boat load of tv series on DVD that I'm still trying to get watched, I'm in. Should be fun. Had a great time last year!
Old 12-14-11, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Last year each episode counted as 1 entry and it worked great. Why change it? Isn't it bad enough we have to do that conversion crap for most of the other challenges!

Counting should be done like the Holiday Challenge. Everything counts as one, even shorts. Getting to 100 is a difficult thing. Even myself, with absolutely no life and a desire to watch films all the time, have only gotten to 100 films a few times in my entire life. But 100 shorts or TV shows, that's easier, but still difficult for anyone with a family or demanding job. I thought more and more of us were getting to this more lax counting rule, and any new challenges need to be done the "Holiday way" imo.
Last year I chose to limit myself (not others) to DVD only, with one exception (The Tenspeed & Brown Shoe Pilot is not included in the Box Set). I watched 226 episodes on DVD & 1 on DVDR

Totals
126 1/2 Hour Shows
99 1 Hour Shows
2 Movie Length Pilots

Spoiler:
Goals: Completed!
(09/09) The Tick - The Entire Series (9 episodes)
(22/22) The Flash - The Complete Series (22 episodes)
(13/13) Tenspeed & Brown Shoe (12 episodes + the pilot on DVD-R)
(13/13) Hammer House Of Horror - The Complete Set (13 episodes)
(23/23) Dharma & Greg - Season One (23 episodes)
(05/05) The Richard Pryor Show (Special + 4 episodes)
(06/06) Pink Lady & Jeff (6 episodes)

New Goals!: Completed!
(22/22) Remington Steele - Season One (22 episodes)
(06/06) Are You Afraid Of The Dark? - Freaky Favorites (6 episodes)
(13/13) Married... With Children - The Complete First Season (13 episodes)
(22/22) Married... With Children - The Complete Second Season (22 episodes)

Bonus Stuff::
(04/04) Carry On Christmas Collection (4 Specials)
(10/10) The Veil - Complete Series (10 episodes)
(04/04) Doctor Who - The Ark In Space (4 episodes)
(05/05) Married... With Children - The Most Outrageous Episodes Volume 1 (5 episodes)
(04/04) Married... With Children - The Most Outrageous Episodes Volume 2 (4 episodes, not counting the Season One episode)
(11/11) Tony Orlando & Dawn - The Ultimate Collection (11 episodes)
(30/30) Classic Family TV (5 episodes each of 6 different shows)
--(05/05) The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet
--(05/05) The Dick Van Dyke Show
--(05/05) Make Room For Daddy
--(05/05) The Andy Griffith Show
--(05/05) The Jack Benny Show
--(05/05) Life With Elizabeth
Plus various individual episodes & specials
-- John Denver - Montana Christmas Skies
-- Snoopy The Musical
-- Gilmore Girls - Pilot
-- Married... With Children Reunion
-- Kung Fu - Pilot
Old 12-14-11, 07:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

got my hopes up and all...
Old 12-14-11, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Can't wait. I decided I was going to re-watch all of the Star Trek shows in 2012 so this challenge will help. The new rules help so I can stream TOS via Amazon and I think The Animated Series is available online. We'll see how much I can get through before the Oscar Challenge sidetracks me.

Thanks Mister Peepers!
Old 12-14-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I just looked over my list from last year and my numbering system was all over the map. I counted 84 entries, but some were simply one episode while others counted 6 half-hour eps. on a single disc as a single entry. I think my rule was: everything I watched in a single sitting or on a single tape or disc counted as one.

The (new) current rule will make life easier for me by counting every hour show (or two half-hours) as a single entry.

I have dozens of anime series and live-action Japanese shows to get through. Last year I got sidetracked by diving into my VHS collection and seeing all kinds of stuff I might not have normally gotten to (e.g. "Death Valley Days," "The Colgate Comedy Hour," "The Naked City," "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."). It was fun and exciting to explore so much TV history, but I didn't accomplish my specific goal of getting through the Japanese shows.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-14-11 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KaBluie
Last year each episode counted as 1 entry and it worked great. Why change it? Isn't it bad enough we have to do that conversion crap for most of the other challenges!
Actually, last year there was no counting unless you did it on your own, counting things however you want. Coming up with a system for counting lets me do a ranking list at the end of the challenge, for those that are interested in that sort of thing.

I don't really see how hard the conversion is, especially on a TV challenge. It should be even easier doing it at 1 hour = 1 entry. You watch a half hour show, you get half an entry. 2 hour show/movie is 2 entries. An episode of Robot Chicken, and those other 15 minute shows, can now be easily converted to 1/4 entry instead of some smaller fraction that I always hated dealing with.

It's also nice, or possibly shameful, because you can see your total and get a quick idea of how many hours you spent watching TV.

But these challenges are all about having fun and nobody is forcing anyone to count things unless they want the benefit of showing up in the rankings.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.