Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Battle Royale 1&2 (Anchor Bay) (3-20-2012)

manicsounds
12-12-11, 08:24 PM
Battle Royale (http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Royale-Blu-ray/dp/B006L4MX0Y/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1323739222&sr=1-5)

Battle Royale 1&2 The Complete Collection (http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Royale-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B006L4MX4A/ref=sr_1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1323739222&sr=1-6)

Anchor Bay says 'over 2 hours of extras' and they will be 2 discs and 4 discs respectively.

SethDLH
12-12-11, 08:34 PM
Hope they do a good job on the transfers. I'd definitely upgrade.

trespoochies
12-12-11, 08:37 PM
Sweet Jesus - here we go again. I assume this is to take advantage of that ripoff Hunger Games coming out. Now let's see what comes with this set.

Solid Snake
12-12-11, 08:38 PM
My UK set of BR is fine...if not already badass.

clckworang
12-12-11, 08:39 PM
I'll repost the same thing I posted in the release announcement thread.

I've been debating importing the UK version. I guess I'll hold out for a U.S. release. Wow, I never thought I would write that in regards to Battle Royale.

Giles
12-12-11, 09:18 PM
too bad II is a piss poor film.

Matthew Chmiel
12-12-11, 10:22 PM
I'll bet twenty-bucks that it'll be the same transfers that graced their way onto the Arrow Video release last winter.

I'm just hoping Anchor Bay puts ALL of the bonus materials onto the set. The Arrow release is a complete collection from all the DVD releases the film has seen plus more. And it's doable as both Blu-ray discs in the set were only 35GB each. They could throw all the material on the DVD (7GB of MPEG-2 material) onto just one of the discs or spread it out across the two discs.

Which means if the first film is a two-disc set, that means we will also be seeing a release of Battle Royale II: Revenge. That's where the fourth disc would obviously come into play. And yes... II is a piss-poor film and the extended cut is even more of a piss-poor film.

I'd kill a man if Anchor Bay actually gives this a brief theatrical run before the release. I'd even drive to Los Angeles just to see this on the big screen.

Rypro 525
12-12-11, 11:45 PM
Sweet Jesus - here we go again. I assume this is to take advantage of that ripoff Hunger Games coming out. Now let's see what comes with this set.

exactly. It seems the Hunger Games comes out march 23, and Battle Royale comes out march 20

PopcornTreeCt
12-12-11, 11:54 PM
Never got in on the UK set. Hope this one turns out good.

asianxcore
12-13-11, 05:56 AM
exactly. It seems the Hunger Games comes out march 23, and Battle Royale comes out march 20

It makes me laugh a little inside that Kevin Carney from AB isn't hiding the fact that they are in fact trying to do that.

I didn't get the UK release, so I may wait for this one.

Evan Meadow
12-13-11, 01:35 PM
I could see myself rebuying this (I have the UK limited set of BR 1 Blu) just to also have BR 2 on Blu as well. But we'll see what else gets added on.

Nothing in the end will take away from the gorgeousness of the UK set.

islandclaws
12-13-11, 02:12 PM
I bought the uber buff UK set last year, but I also love this movie way too much. I'd likely buy both of these sets, especially if they somehow provide a better transfer than Arrow.

Matthew Chmiel
12-13-11, 02:15 PM
Here's a link on Blu-ray.com about the Blu-ray transfer that exists in Japan:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/5565406-post31.html

TL;DR: Japanese Blu-ray transfer was created from the master used for the 3D theatrical re-release last year. It looks superior to the Arrow release, but has DNR, over-the-top contrasting, and even more CGI gore (than the Special Version) to really enhance the 3D.

critterdvd
12-13-11, 03:12 PM
I'm excited for this release. Somehow I've never gotten around to watching either film - eventhough it seems like something that would be right up my alley. Definitely a blind-buy on day 1, it will be a precursor to "The Hunger Games" in theaters the same weekend.

PopcornTreeCt
12-13-11, 04:52 PM
It makes me laugh a little inside that Kevin Carney from AB isn't hiding the fact that they are in fact trying to do that.

I didn't get the UK release, so I may wait for this one.

I'd bet that the majority of Hunger Games fans have no idea about Battle Royale.

steebo777
12-13-11, 05:21 PM
Fuck. Yes.

trespoochies
12-13-11, 05:43 PM
I'd bet that the majority of Hunger Games fans have no idea about Battle Royale.

For truth, considering the age demograpic is for the tween age, 14-16.

Dan
12-13-11, 05:58 PM
Hell, if Hunger Games is enough to get some fans to seek out Battle Royale, then I'm fine with that. At 14-16, I'd have loved to see BR. I'm glad I have the Arrow release. Not sure how/if I'll ever watch BR2, though.

sleepyhead55
12-13-11, 06:08 PM
Yes! Missed out on the Reigon Free version that Arrow released last year. So this is great for me. Is the second one that bad? Loved the first one but I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out an extra $15 or so just for completion sake.

If all the extras are included in the first film, I'd just buy that one.

clckworang
12-13-11, 06:45 PM
Yes! Missed out on the Reigon Free version that Arrow released last year. So this is great for me. Is the second one that bad? Loved the first one but I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out an extra $15 or so just for completion sake.

If all the extras are included in the first film, I'd just buy that one.

Yes, the second one really is that bad. I did a blind-buy of it a long time ago based on my love of the first film and was really, really disappointed in it. Don't do it!

Edit: Oops. I shouldn't have written that response while at work. I put "best" instead of "bad." :lol: But yes, Battle Royale 2 is awful!

Matthew Chmiel
12-13-11, 06:51 PM
The second is as fun as getting fucked in the ass without lube for two-and-a-half-hours.

I was getting over surgery, was doped up on pure liquid codine, and felt like shit when I popped the sequel into my DVD player when the HK R3 DVD came out. After the film was over, I felt worse than shit. Easily one of the worst films I've had the pleasure of watching. A great feat considering the original is a classic.

How the extended cut runs over 160 minutes, I have absoultetly no idea. I was already checked out past the 45 minute mark in the theatrical cut.

Giles
12-13-11, 11:01 PM
it also didn't help that the characters in the second movie looked like they had just tried out for either and or both 'Cats'/'Starlight Express' - the costumes are beyond hideous

clckworang
12-14-11, 01:04 AM
The second is as fun as getting fucked in the ass without lube for two-and-a-half-hours.

I was getting over surgery, was doped up on pure liquid codine, and felt like shit when I popped the sequel into my DVD player when the HK R3 DVD came out. After the film was over, I felt worse than shit. Easily one of the worst films I've had the pleasure of watching. A great feat considering the original is a classic.

How the extended cut runs over 160 minutes, I have absoultetly no idea. I was already checked out past the 45 minute mark in the theatrical cut.

What?! 160 minutes?! I had no idea the extended cut ran that long. Sounds truly awful. I watched it with a friend of mine. I had introduced him to the first one, and he loved it. We were both excited about seeing it, but neither of us had any good things to say by the end of it. It's just one of those films that seems better to pretend it doesn't exist.

The only way I would consider purchasing the sequel is if the extras were really informative, like a critical examination in the vein of Batman and Robin. Even then, it would have to be really cheap.

Giles
12-14-11, 08:35 AM
What?! 160 minutes?! I had no idea the extended cut ran that long. Sounds truly awful. I watched it with a friend of mine. I had introduced him to the first one, and he loved it. We were both excited about seeing it, but neither of us had any good things to say by the end of it. It's just one of those films that seems better to pretend it doesn't exist.

The only way I would consider purchasing the sequel is if the extras were really informative, like a critical examination in the vein of Batman and Robin. Even then, it would have to be really cheap.

or an apology

RobLutter
12-14-11, 09:44 AM
A friend and I in high school back in the day watched BR2 in absolute horror and drowsiness and the only good bit of fun we got out of it was talking it up as the greatest sequel of all time to another friend and subsequently I loaned him the disc.

He came over the next day and threw the disc at us and screamed "I FUCKING HATE YOU GUYS!" and slammed the door. Cue us on the floor laughing.

One of the only DVDs I have thrown in the trash because it is both embarrassing and dangerous to have around (someone might've made me watch it again!)... it has NO redeeming qualities. Happy Birthuday!!

clckworang
12-14-11, 12:09 PM
or an apology

That's sort of what I was getting at. Sometimes an open look at what went wrong with this can be really interesting. Most of the time, though, the filmmakers aren't willing to admit they made a shit movie.

Matthew Chmiel
12-14-11, 02:20 PM
That's sort of what I was getting at. Sometimes an open look at what went wrong with this can be really interesting. Most of the time, though, the filmmakers aren't willing to admit they made a shit movie.
This film was made by the Japanese, you're not getting an apology.

... and the now-defunct Tartan released a three-disc set of Battle Royale II set years ago. It included both the theatrical and extended cuts along with all of the bonus material that graced the Japanese limited edition two-disc set.

asianxcore
12-14-11, 05:35 PM

As Trespoochies mentioned, the demographics are different. I previously worked in a bookstore, and most who bought Hunger Games were Tweens. You'd get another various age groups pick them up, but Tweens were the main draw. Also the fact that the Hunger Games crowd may not know about Battle Royale doesn't bug me, not even sure why it wouldn't bug anyone. They like their stuff, you like yours, don't see an issue in that.

I read the first Hunger Games book and I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't call it a rip-off because the gladiator, pitting-someone-against-someone isn't a new idea.

The core idea of both Hunger Games and Battle Royale are similar, but at least in the first book, that's where the similarities end.

On topic, I really hope that AB doesn't mess up this release.

Kevin M. Dean
12-14-11, 06:03 PM
The Revenge cut is better.
It's not as bas as everyone makes out.
You all whine way too much.

PopcornTreeCt
12-14-11, 06:56 PM
As Trespoochies mentioned, the demographics are different. I previously worked in a bookstore, and most who bought Hunger Games were Tweens. You'd get another various age groups pick them up, but Tweens were the main draw. Also the fact that the Hunger Games crowd may not know about Battle Royale doesn't bug me, not even sure why it wouldn't bug anyone. They like their stuff, you like yours, don't see an issue in that.

I read the first Hunger Games book and I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't call it a rip-off because the gladiator, pitting-someone-against-someone isn't a new idea.

The core idea of both Hunger Games and Battle Royale are similar, but at least in the first book, that's where the similarities end.

On topic, I really hope that AB doesn't mess up this release.

I agree. I don't think it should bug anyone, I was pointing out that I think this release to tie in with the movie is plain silly.

asianxcore
12-14-11, 07:36 PM
I agree. I don't think it should bug anyone, I was pointing out that I think this release to tie in with the movie is plain silly.

Kevin Carney from Anchor Bay via Fangoria :lol:

“The whole goal is to try and do this up as ‘the original HUNGER GAMES,’ because everyone keeps talking about that and they have hundreds of millions of dollars behind it,” Anchor Bay’s Kevin Carney tells Fango. “If you Google ‘HUNGER GAMES vs. BATTLE ROYALE,’ there are like 200 websites that talk about how BATTLE ROYALE is really the original. So anything we can do to get that fan base to know about the movie that kind of influenced it will be part of our marketing campaign.”

Matthew Chmiel
12-15-11, 12:19 AM
The Revenge cut is better.
It's not as bas as everyone makes out.
You all whine way too much.

You're wrong. Nothing saves BRII, not even an additional half-an-hour of fluff.

If it was a stand alone film and not a sequel to a film that most consider to be one of the greatest films of last decade, then I guess it could be considered crap rather than shit.

You're right, but in this thread, you're wrong.

PopcornTreeCt
12-15-11, 02:14 AM

“The whole goal is to try and do this up as ‘the original HUNGER GAMES,’ because everyone keeps talking about that and they have hundreds of millions of dollars behind it,” Anchor Bay’s Kevin Carney tells Fango. “If you Google ‘HUNGER GAMES vs. BATTLE ROYALE,’ there are like 200 websites that talk about how BATTLE ROYALE is really the original. So anything we can do to get that fan base to know about the movie that kind of influenced it will be part of our marketing campaign.”

Like I said, plain silly.

Kevin M. Dean
12-15-11, 02:32 AM
You're wrong. Nothing saves BRII, not even an additional half-an-hour of fluff.

I thought the Saving Private Ryan style beachhead sequence was pretty good and the paired collars was a interesting addition. Sure it'll never be as good as the first, and there were a couple of cheesy parts and I think people get a little too bent out of shape over the US indirectly being portrayed in a negative light by the movie, but it's not like our movies don't portray other countries poorly either. Also, if you happen to like the Special Edition version of the 1st, then the Revenge cut works because it's cut in a similar fashion tonally as the 1st Special Edition.

clckworang
12-15-11, 12:43 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree. I wasn't impressed with the Saving Private Ryan ripoff opening and thought the use of the paired collars didn't make much sense. :shrug:

d2cheer
12-15-11, 01:22 PM
Here's a link on Blu-ray.com about the Blu-ray transfer that exists in Japan:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/5565406-post31.html

TL;DR: Japanese Blu-ray transfer was created from the master used for the 3D theatrical re-release last year. It looks superior to the Arrow release, but has DNR, over-the-top contrasting, and even more CGI gore (than the Special Version) to really enhance the 3D.

To me the Japan blu only looks like cranked up the contrast and turned up the brightness. Looks superior to the Arrow release? Um no.

Matthew Chmiel
12-16-11, 12:01 AM
I thought the Saving Private Ryan style beachhead sequence was pretty good and the paired collars was a interesting addition. Sure it'll never be as good as the first, and there were a couple of cheesy parts and I think people get a little too bent out of shape over the US indirectly being portrayed in a negative light by the movie, but it's not like our movies don't portray other countries poorly either. Also, if you happen to like the Special Edition version of the 1st, then the Revenge cut works because it's cut in a similar fashion tonally as the 1st Special Edition.
The problem with the Saving Private Ryan knock-off set piece is that it kills nearly a majority of the students in one-fell swoop. Instead of brief, individual set pieces within the first film where we get to meet the students before their inevitable demise, we don't get that sort of character or story development.

I have no problem with the American bashing as I bash America every chance I get too.

Honestly, the original idea for Battle Royale II (which pretty much was same as the first with different characters) was a lot better than the nonsense/terrorist bullshit idea they came up with.

rebel-scum78
12-17-11, 08:06 AM
<s>We get it, Matthew. You didn't like it. Now kindly STFU. Pretty please, with sugar on top.</s>

Ok, cool it. Some like it, some don't. -namja

Matthew Chmiel
12-19-11, 01:10 AM
<s>We get it, Matthew. You didn't like it. Now kindly STFU. Pretty please, with sugar on top.</s>

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RUFT35S7Jb4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RUFT35S7Jb4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

rebel-scum78
12-19-11, 01:03 PM
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/K8eD5cFFJP4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/K8eD5cFFJP4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Jinx_Barkman
01-02-12, 08:58 PM
Cover Art

http://www.cityonfire.com/battle-royale-battle-royale-ii-the-complete-collection-blu-ray-dvd-anchor-bay/
http://www.cityonfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/BRcomplete-208x300.jpg

http://www.cityonfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/BR_single.jpg

dino88
01-04-12, 04:53 AM

It sounds like we can expect a Hunger Games blurb on the Battle Royale cover.

asianxcore
01-04-12, 05:15 PM
I like that cover art.

Matthew Chmiel
01-10-12, 12:07 AM
From Anchor Bay Entertainment:

Format: (3) BD 50, (1) DVD 9
MSRP: $49.99
Runtime: 368min.
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1

Product Features:
TV Spot: Tarantino Version
Special Edition TV Spot
Original Theatrical Trailer*
Battle Royale Documentary*
Special Effects Comparison Featurette
Filming On-Set
Behind-The-Scenes Featurette
Audition & Rehearsal Footage
Instructional Video: Birthday Version
Battle Royale Press Conference
Tokyo International Film Festival 2000
The Making Of Battle Royale
Basketball Scene Rehearsals

If this special features list is final, we're missing out on at least an hour of bonus material that made it onto the Arrow three-disc set, such as:

• Special Edition Theatrical Trailer
• Shooting the Special Edition
• Takeshi Kitano Interview
• Conducting BATTLE ROYALE with the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra
• Opening Day at the Marunouchi Toei Movie Theatre
• The Slaughter of 42 High School Students
• The Correct Way to Fight in Battle Royale
• Masamichi Amano Conducts BATTLE ROYALE

... and of course, all of the bonus material that currently exists for Battle Royale II (which totals up to nearly three hours).

Really Anchor Bay? :thmbsdwn:

If the set includes the same transfers from the Arrow set, I'm out and canceling my pre-order. The Arrow set wins on completeness alone (and I could give a flying fuck about BRII). Come on Anchor Bay and surprise us. You have three Blu-rays and a DVD you're working with. That could possibly be 158GB of storage capacity to have fun with. All the versions of the two films and already existing bonus material can easily fit within that much space.

Another confirmed downer is the only way to get the (superior) theatrical cut is by purchasing the complete set. The single-disc will only consist of the (inferior) Special Version.

clckworang
01-10-12, 12:11 PM
^ I can't say I'm shocked by any of that, but until I'm able to get a region-free Blu-ray player, this will have to be the release for me. At least I like the cover art.

Matthew Chmiel
01-11-12, 02:34 AM
According to Anchor Bay, only the Special Version will have a Dolby Digital TrueHD 7.1 track (the theatrical cut and BRII will have TrueHD 5.1 tracks) and all of the bonus material will be regulated to the fourth (DVD) disc.

:thmbsdwn:

Pre-order cancelled. There's nothing here that I already don't own with the Arrow set.

Evan Meadow
01-11-12, 06:07 AM
I think I'm not going to worry about this either. Something tells me Anchor Bay will do a separate BR II release at some point.

OldBoy
01-16-12, 02:53 PM
$19.99 enticing price point. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Battle-Royale-Blu-ray/ref=%26%2574%2561g%3d%2562l%2575r%2561y%252d030%252d20/182-9004682-5895801?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=dvdtalk0-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B006L4MX4A&ASIN=B006L4MX4A&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

clckworang
01-16-12, 03:18 PM
The temptation was too strong for me. I locked in my price.

Jay G.
01-16-12, 03:46 PM
$19.99 enticing price point. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L4MX4A)
That's the same price as for the single-disc edition. I've pre-ordered.

Evan Meadow
01-17-12, 04:32 AM
Yep, I got it too. $20 for both movies was too tempting, lack of all the same extras on BR 1 be damned. It'll let me get BR II on Blu as well with what extras it has.

And we won't have to wait over a month for it to be delivered when its shipped out!

But I do wonder if we'll have any friends get it before we do and think about no longer talking to them again.

flansered
01-17-12, 10:47 AM
I preordered. That's a great price, and I can still cancel if it ends up being worse then the UK set that I own.

BuddhaWake
01-17-12, 02:33 PM
its up to 36.99 now.

Shannon Nutt
01-17-12, 08:15 PM
its up to 36.99 now.

So it most likely WAS a pricing error.

Evan Meadow
01-17-12, 08:58 PM
That mean they won't honor it?

clckworang
01-17-12, 09:15 PM
That mean they won't honor it?

I'd be really surprised if all orders weren't honored.

Evan Meadow
01-18-12, 06:14 AM
I'd be really surprised if all orders weren't honored.

That's what I was thinking. I mean it may have been a pricing error but it did apparently last over 12 hours so if it really wasn't intentional I don't know if it would have been there that long without enough people noticing when the orders shot up.

clckworang
01-18-12, 12:12 PM
That's what I was thinking. I mean it may have been a pricing error but it did apparently last over 12 hours so if it really wasn't intentional I don't know if it would have been there that long without enough people noticing when the orders shot up.

Plus, I think many of us have had Amazon honor wacky price mistakes before. Anyone else remember the B2G1 free for *any* Blu-ray email that was accidentally sent out? It was only supposed to be a select few titles that were eligible but wasn't sent out like that. I got two or three of the first wave of Criterion Blu-rays for free because of that.

Shannon Nutt
01-18-12, 03:43 PM
Amazon is pretty good about honoring pricing mistakes...unlike some *other* companies. If you got "in" on this, I wouldn't worry.

Matthew Chmiel
01-19-12, 01:56 PM
I ended up re-pre-ordering the title during Amazon's brief $19.99 sale on the set.

Goddamnit. Why does Battle Royale have to be one of my favorite movies of all time? I've spent way too much paying for the film on various formats that I've just come to terms with it. :(

mrhan
01-21-12, 12:02 AM
I ended up re-pre-ordering the title during Amazon's brief $19.99 sale on the set.

Goddamnit. Why does Battle Royale have to be one of my favorite movies of all time? I've spent way too much paying for the film on various formats that I've just come to terms with it. :(

I actually resisted buying this and actually feel good about it. I couldn't see getting another BR II, even if it's free. I already have BR on the HK DTS DVD, Tartan Tin, Tartan NTSC and the UK Region Free BD.

Matthew Chmiel
01-21-12, 08:08 PM
I actually resisted buying this and actually feel good about it. I couldn't see getting another BR II, even if it's free. I already have BR on the HK DTS DVD, Tartan Tin, Tartan NTSC and the UK Region Free BD.
I had the HK R3 DTS DVD and a spare copy of the Tartan NTSC DVD which I've eBay'd off the past few years. I now only own the Tartan NTSC DVD, the Tartan R0 PAL tin, and the Arrow LE Blu-ray.

I sold the sole HK R3 DTS DVD of Battle Royale II literally right after receiving it. For $19, I see it as having a backup copy of the original film on Blu-ray alongside having a coaster of the sequel.

crazychris88
01-21-12, 09:16 PM
hmmm.after seeing that there really isnt anything new to this release I am kinda disappointing. I suppose I will still keep my $19.99 pre-order but damn they really dropped the ball if there isn't a new documentary or any commentary.

Brian T
01-24-12, 08:39 PM
This has bugged me since they first released images of the sleeves. Glad to see it get a little shaming:
http://www.psdisasters.com/2012/01/battle-royale-look-ma-no-hands.html

Matthew Chmiel
02-16-12, 04:23 PM
Anchor Bay will be giving the <s>Director's Cut</s> Special Version a brief theatrical run over the next few months.

Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin - Madison on February 24th
Tulsa, OK: Circle Cinema from February 24th through February 25th
Spokane, WA: Magic Lantern on March 2nd
Portland, OR: Hollywood Theater from March 2nd through March 3rd
Winchester, VA: Alamo Drafthouse from March 8th through March 9th
Minneapolis, MN: Landmark Lagoon 5 from March 9th through March 10th
Tucson, AZ: Loft Cinema 2 from March 9th through March 15th
Providence, RI: Arkham Film Fest on March 10th
Huntington, NY: Cinema Arts Center on March 10th
Cambridge, MA: Brattle Theater on March 11th
Seattle: Northwest Film Forum on March 11th
Denver, CO: Denver Film Center from March 16th through March 17th
Austin, TX: Alamo Drafthouse from March 16th through March 18th, with additional screenings on March 20th
Houston, TX: Alamo Drafthouse on March 18th
Philadelphia, PA: The Philadelphia Film Society/The Trocadero on March 19th
Seattle, WA: The Egyptian Theater from March 23rd through March 24th
Washington, DC: E Street Landmark from March 30th through March 31st
Dallas, TX: Inwood Theater from April 6th through April 7th
San Francisco, CA: The Castro Theater on April 13th
Seattle, WA: SIFF Cinema from April 20th through April 26th
Columbus, OH: 28th Annual Ohio Science Fiction Marathon on April 21st
Columbus, OH: Drexel Theater from April 22nd to an undetermined date
New York, NY: IFC Center on April 22nd
Chicago, IL: University of Chicago on May 24th

RobLutter
02-16-12, 09:00 PM
Wish they'd do the 3D version theatrically that they have the rights to.

asianxcore
02-16-12, 09:17 PM
Thanks for posting the dates. Hope I can get out to that San Francisco showing.

Matthew Chmiel
02-16-12, 09:40 PM
No shit? Stupid Anchor Bay.

Solid Snake
02-16-12, 09:50 PM
Special Version? I thought there was only the TC and the DC? My BD set from the UK has both..but what's the Special Version?

flansered
02-17-12, 09:04 AM
The special version is the director's cut, and it's the inferior version in my opinion.

Jay G.
02-17-12, 09:36 AM
The special version is the director's cut, and it's the inferior version in my opinion.
Yeah, "Director's Cut" is a bit of a misnomer for the Special Version, as director Kinji Fukasaku got his final cut on the original theatrical version. The Special Version was created specifically after the success of the film, and even had newly shot footage. I don't think it was ever referred to as a Director's Cut in Japan, but foreign releases have opted to label it that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_(film)#Special_version

clckworang
02-17-12, 12:48 PM
A friend of mine is trying to talk me into going to Austin for one of those showings. Tempting ...

islandclaws
02-17-12, 12:54 PM

Because it won't look like a post-converted piece of shit?

flansered
02-17-12, 02:45 PM
Yeah, "Director's Cut" is a bit of a misnomer for the Special Version, as director Kinji Fukasaku got his final cut on the original theatrical version. The Special Version was created specifically after the success of the film, and even had newly shot footage. I don't think it was ever referred to as a Director's Cut in Japan, but foreign releases have opted to label it that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_(film)#Special_version

The special version is called the director's cut in the Arrow set. I think that's where the confusion comes from. But the longer version isn't all that great. It feels bloated. I watched it once when I first got a copy of it years ago, but the theatrical cut is the version I always rewatch.

Sherocker
02-20-12, 02:34 PM
A friend of mine is trying to talk me into going to Austin for one of those showings. Tempting ...

Bet your ass I am! :)

clckworang
02-20-12, 04:05 PM
Bet your ass I am! :)

D'oh! I've been caught!

Matthew Chmiel
03-06-12, 01:36 AM
First review is up: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6270/battle_royale_complete.html

TL;DR:

The transfer is a replica of what was seen on Arrow's three-disc set.
The Dolby Digital TrueHD 7.1 remixes are huge improvements upon any previous Blu-ray or DVD release.
Battle Royale II looks and sounds amazing.
The bonus materials are incomplete as I mentioned in an earlier post. 125 minutes of bonus materials exist on Anchor Bay's fourth disc (a DVD). Arrow's set has 170 minutes of bonus materials. Battle Royale II gets the short end of the stick with no extended cut nor bonus materials.

ThePhantomGoat
03-06-12, 07:33 PM
Where does it say that BRII isn't the extended cut?

dino88
03-06-12, 08:15 PM
Where does it say that BRII isn't the extended cut?

The Disc: Vital Stats

Fans of the second film (why?!) should note that the cut included does not appear to be the "revenge" edition.

clckworang
03-07-12, 12:09 PM
^ :lol: The "why?!" in that cracked me up.

Matthew Chmiel
03-07-12, 07:14 PM
Famed archivist Robert Harris wrote this on <s>that other forum we all hate</s> Home Theater Forum:

Anchor Bay has released Kinji Fukasaku's 2000 Battle Royale, a move that will have many fans on line toward a purchase. This future sci-fi mini-epic, which would be the predecessor of The Hunger Games (opening March 23 in the U.S.)

In some ways, this lowish budget Japanese production, which pits students against one another in a battle to the death, makes a film like Kill Bill look almost calm.

This is the first time that a home video product of decent quality has been made available, and Anchor Bay's very nicely packaged set includes both the cut and un-cut version of the film on separate discs, in addition to the sequel and a fourth disc of extras.

Quality-wise, I believe fans of the film will be thrilled, as the new Blu-ray is nicely produced, from quality elements, albeit not from what appears to be a new transfer. Resolution is very acceptable, and grain, which looks just a bit diminished, may be down by a second generation element.

I have no idea what this film should sound like, but the track is uncompressed Dolby TrueHD.

Personally, while I can think of more pleasurable way of spending my time than watching a group of teens kill one another, I'm the first to admit that I am not the target audience (no pun intended) for this film.

Battle Royale is a quality package of a film for which many fans have been waiting. They're going to be more than pleased.

RAH

Source (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/319099/a-few-words-about-battle-royale-in-blu-ray)

Not to be a dick, but:

"This is the first time that a home video product of decent quality has been made available." I disagree. Tartan's (now long out-of-print) NTSC edition of the film presented it in anamorphic widescreen, Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and proper subtitles. Until Arrow came out with their massive three-disc Blu-ray set, the Tartan DVD was the only way to properly watch the film.
"Quality-wise, I believe fans of the film will be thrilled, as the new Blu-ray is nicely produced, from quality elements, albeit not from what appears to be a new transfer." As HDD already confirmed in their review, Anchor Bay's release looks identical to Arrow's release. I would bet Toei has supplied the same, exact transfer to companies worldwide. Except for their own release in Japan where their transfer comes from the remaster used to produce the 3D version. However, that release is smeared with DNR.
"I'm the first to admit that I am not the target audience (no pun intended) for this film." Yeah, because you're an elitist. While the book the film was adapted from has more political elements, the film takes a far more satirical approach. I don't think you have to be in the film's "target audience" (whatever the fuck that is) to enjoy the film for what it is.

Evan Meadow
03-08-12, 05:48 AM
I doubt Harris is going to mention all the other versions out there when Anchor Bay's is the first US release of the film and that's what he would obviously focus on.

Shagrath
03-08-12, 06:34 AM
I doubt Harris is going to mention all the other versions out there when Anchor Bay's is the first US release of the film and that's what he would obviously focus on.
Yeah, don't you realize that the rest of the world doesn't really exist?

Evan Meadow
03-09-12, 05:29 AM
Yeah, don't you realize that the rest of the world doesn't really exist?

LOL for potential consumers who may buy this purely because of Hunger Games?

Unfortunately I see them having that ideal. And that's cause they're no doubt being bombarded with "Battle Royale was first" notices on their message boards.

Which is as it should be. :D

Shagrath
03-09-12, 06:49 AM
LOL for potential consumers who may buy this purely because of Hunger Games?
I'm just saying that the majority of consumers only look at what's readily available in their region. It's only a fraction of a fraction of a percent that even know that stuff is released in another region, and only a few of those that actually take the time to import that stuff.

So, when a review or whatever says it's the first time being available, they either don't know it's available somewhere else in the world, or they really mean it's the first time it's widely available.

Jay G.
03-09-12, 10:16 AM
So, when a review or whatever says it's the first time being available, they either don't know it's available somewhere else in the world, or they really mean it's the first time it's widely available.
Except he didn't say it's the first time it's available, he said that it's the first time it's the first time "a home video product of decent quality has been made available."

So he's indicating he's aware of previous releases, all of which have been elsewhere in the world. And he's wrong about those previous releases.

Kaaos_82
03-09-12, 07:08 PM
Have to say I'm quite happy with my Arrow Limited Edition copy. I'll wait for the blu-ray.com review to see if I should jump at this. Also, I'm not able to view the bonus materials on my copy so that might sway me.

TomOpus
03-10-12, 03:34 AM
Did you try it in your computer? Many CD drives are not region locked. I use VLC Viewer and the bonus materials work fine.

Evan Meadow
03-10-12, 05:08 AM
Yeah the bonus disc worked on my Mac as well.

Matthew Chmiel
03-10-12, 03:00 PM
Did you try it in your computer? Many CD drives are not region locked. I use VLC Viewer and the bonus materials work fine.
If you purchased a computer in the US, 99% chance is that your DVD player inside your computer is Region 1 locked. However, a computer is not NTSC nor PAL as the your monitor is based of how many Hz it has (60Hz is comparable to 60 fps, 120 Hz to 120 fps, so on and so on) and the video card inside of it. Since Arrow's DVD in the Battle Royale set is region free, any computer can play it regardless of the fact its encoded for PAL television sets. On a Mac I can open the disc in the default DVD player. Same goes for a PC.

Fuck. If you have an Xbox 360, it's capable of converting PAL to NTSC, so any region free PAL DVD will work on that too.

theandyman85
03-13-12, 09:12 PM
Just a heads up for anyone who might want it a week early the Bluray and Dvd version of Battle Royale is out at some FYE stores. Not the Special Edition with the second movie but just the basic version. I've seen them at multiple FYE stores in the Erie, PA and Buffalo, NY regions myself. The Bluray was $22 and the dvd was $17 (which honestly didnt seem right at all and even their site has them listed at higher prices that I would expect FYE to sell at and listed as preorder).

asianxcore
03-14-12, 12:04 AM
DVDBeaver Review:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews53/battle_royale_blu-ray.htm

Kory
03-14-12, 03:43 PM
Did anybody do the $19.99 pre-order from Amazon for 1 & 2 but is thinking about canceling it because they don't want both parts? I'll pay you the $19.99 and you can have it shipped directly to me, if you're interested. PM me if you fit this description. :)

clckworang
03-14-12, 04:49 PM
^ But the kicker is that you have to buy both parts in order to get both cuts of the first film.

Jay G.
03-14-12, 05:04 PM
^ But the kicker is that you have to buy both parts in order to get both cuts of the first film.
More importantly, the single-disc is of the inferior "Director's Cut", so you have to buy the collection in order to get the theatrical cut. Not to mention all the extras on the 4th disc in the collection, while the single disc edition has no extras.

Matthew Chmiel
03-14-12, 07:11 PM
FYE is selling the four-disc set at $24.99 ($5 more than Amazon's brief pre-order price) and is available in stores this instant.

The Anchor Bay transfer looks like its pulled from the same HD master, but with better color accuracy. :thumbsup:

Really, at this point, I'm paying $19.99 for the fancy packaging and... I guess Battle Royale II...

Matthew Chmiel
04-03-12, 11:36 PM
For those of you who haven't bought the set yet, it looks like the digibook packaging of the set is now OOP as all future printings are in a standard Viva Elite Blu-ray case.

http://i44.tinypic.com/zjvwqs.jpg

islandclaws
04-05-12, 12:18 AM
I ended up with one of those from Family Video. Not sure if I want to keep it or not since I mostly bought it for the sweet packaging. I was pondering making an Amazon or BB order and hoping they send me the OOP version, then I could return this since it's the same UPC, but I don't know if they're already out of stock of not.

Unless someone here wants to trade...

RobLutter
04-05-12, 08:06 AM
Is Battle Royale 2 still a stinky turd or has it aged well? :D

Gizmo
04-05-12, 10:41 AM
I ended up with one of those from Family Video. Not sure if I want to keep it or not since I mostly bought it for the sweet packaging. I was pondering making an Amazon or BB order and hoping they send me the OOP version, then I could return this since it's the same UPC, but I don't know if they're already out of stock of not.

Unless someone here wants to trade...

Amazon still has the book. Same UPC.

islandclaws
04-05-12, 11:05 AM
Amazon still has the book. Same UPC.

Ordered, fingers crossed, thanks.

Gizmo
04-05-12, 11:09 AM
Ordered, fingers crossed, thanks.

Got mine Yesterday as a book. Shouldn't have any issues. Amazon probably get a bigger supply than Family Videos' 16 they ordered :rolleyes:

Matthew Chmiel
04-06-12, 11:26 AM
Just to be devil's advocate, users on Blu-ray.com started to report the past two days their Amazon orders of the set were the Viva Elite packaging and not the digibook.

So right now, off Amazon, it could be luck of the draw on what you get.

islandclaws
04-06-12, 12:28 PM
Well, crap. I'm almost positive that's what I'll end up with if that's true.

I was thinking of ordering it off Best Buy's site since their price sucks and many people likely didn't order from them.

LosingMyMind
04-06-12, 04:59 PM
I had a book copy arrive from amazon today.

Matthew Chmiel
04-06-12, 05:24 PM
I had a book copy arrive from amazon today.
Which warehouse did it come from?

KillerCannibal might receive Blu-rays, based upon his location, mostly from Phoenix or Las Vegas (like myself). Some warehouses might have digibook copies left whereas the others are stocking the newer copy.

LosingMyMind
04-06-12, 08:10 PM

Lexington, Kentucky.

xage
04-07-12, 05:08 PM
Digibook was about 5,000 made by Anchorbay where 70% of it were sold from Amazon

For those of you who haven't bought the set yet, it looks like the digibook packaging of the set is now OOP as all future printings are in a standard Viva Elite Blu-ray case.

http://i44.tinypic.com/zjvwqs.jpg

islandclaws
04-07-12, 10:02 PM

KillerCannibal might receive Blu-rays, based upon his location, mostly from Phoenix or Las Vegas (like myself). Some warehouses might have digibook copies left whereas the others are stocking the newer copy.

Nope. Got the same fucking case.

I'm over it.

jiggyblau
04-09-12, 06:19 PM
If you're looking for this set, check out Suncoast. It was $24.99 there today - with the original packaging.

LosingMyMind
04-09-12, 06:36 PM
If you're looking for this set, check out Suncoast. It was $24.99 there today - with the original packaging.
Nice joke. That store doesn't exist, anymore.

jiggyblau
04-09-12, 08:03 PM
Nice joke. That store doesn't exist, anymore.

Thanks for your input. And while you're detracting from the thread, I'm trying to provide information to other people who may want it.

Suncoast does indeed exist near me in MD. And I'm betting the price is the same at FYE stores, since they are one in the same.

http://www.fye.com/Store-Locator_stcVVcatId474286VVviewcat.htm

SethDLH
04-09-12, 08:28 PM
I was in a Suncoast less than a week ago. Selection and prices sucked, along with the lighting (so dim I could hardly see anything) but it's still around. I'm sure once in a while they get something in worth while.

islandclaws
04-10-12, 11:13 AM
I don't have an FYE or Suncoast anywhere near me that I know of. I might try Fry's.

Ringmaster
04-10-12, 05:16 PM
My local Fry's just had the blu ray case, not the book. They did, however, have the DVD book version.

Hammer99
04-10-12, 10:14 PM
I saw digibooks today at the Towson, MD MovieStop on "sale" for $30 (down from $36). I already had the Arrow set, but I was dumping a bunch of DVDs that I upgraded with BDs & said what the hell, so I grabbed one, still 3 left on the rack, probably more behind the counter.

SethDLH
04-10-12, 11:08 PM
I saw digibooks today at the Towson, MD MovieStop on "sale" for $30 (down from $36). I already had the Arrow set, but I was dumping a bunch of DVDs that I upgraded with BDs & said what the hell, so I grabbed one, still 3 left on the rack, probably more behind the counter.

Dump anything interesting? I check in there once every 7-10 days.

Hammer99
04-10-12, 11:15 PM
Dump anything interesting? I check in there once every 7-10 days.Nothing really rare, I would either keep the DVD or go to Ebay first. Probably the nicest one was the most recent Touch Of Evil deluxe DVD set, it is mint if you see it there.

joliom
05-07-12, 05:29 AM
Forgetting the Blu-ray for a moment, anyone want to weigh in on how the Anchor Bay DVD compares to the Tartan NTSC release? Is it an improvement in the a/v department?

islandclaws
05-08-12, 11:55 AM
Why would we forget the BD in the HD forum?

Discuss your dead format elsewhere!

joliom
05-08-12, 01:32 PM
I just want to know if I should pass on my Tartan DVD to my Dad or if it's worth upgrading to the Anchor Bay DVD instead. If the transfer is a lot better that would influence my decision. Either way, I already ordered the Blu-ray for myself.

islandclaws
05-08-12, 03:02 PM
I would assume the AB looks better since it's newer, but I always felt the Tartan DVD was totally sufficient. I think you're good either way.

Jay G.
05-08-12, 03:36 PM
Not a direct comparison with the AB DVD, but this article has one comparison image between 7 different editions, including the Tartan R0 DVD and the Arrow DVD & BD and AB BD:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews53/battle_royale_blu-ray.htm

The main difference appears to be that the Tartan image has a bluish tint. This article shows comparison between some DVD editions, and you can see the bluish tint is there throughout the whole film on the Tartan copy:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/battleroyale-th.htm

Does the Tartan DVD have any special features not on the Arrow or AB sets?

joliom
05-09-12, 02:49 AM
The only features on the Tartan DVD are the original trailer, a really lame stills gallery with no stills from the actual production, some filmographies, and some textual "film notes" by Mark Wyatt that amounts to little more than a basic plot synopsis.

asianxcore
08-23-12, 08:13 PM
I lucked out on Ebay and ran into an auction for the BD Digibook. Picked it up for $26.XX

Got it in the mail today. Super happy!

Ropes Pierre
03-07-13, 05:19 PM
just picked up anchor bay version for 15.00 at target. lowest i saw at amazon was 17 and change.

Matthew Chmiel
03-08-13, 03:31 AM
just picked up anchor bay version for 15.00 at target. lowest i saw at amazon was 17 and change.
Target sells the four-disc in stores? I've only seen the single-disc when I've been there.

Rexxriot
03-08-13, 09:16 AM
Target sells the four-disc in stores? I've only seen the single-disc when I've been there.

I saw the four disc at Target with about 4-5 copies of the single disc. I was very surprised that both editions rang up $15. Maybe some four disc editions got mixed in with the single disc?