DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Digital Copy question

Easy
12-09-11, 05:27 PM
Is this anything more than a giant pain in the ass?

I tried to get a copy of Super 8and got this BS message:

You must upgrade to the latest version of Windows Media Player. To upgrade, please follow the instructions below:

Step 1: Click here to get the free upgrade.
Step 2: If prompted, restart your computer after the upgrade is complete.
Step 3: Launch Windows Media Player to customize your settings and exit.
Step 4: Insert your Digital Copy DVD or browse your DVD-ROM drive and double click the discnav.exe application.
You must upgrade the security components of Windows Media Player so that you can play protected files on your computer. To upgrade, please follow the instructions below:

Step 1: Click here to get the security upgrade.
Step 2: After the upgrade is complete, click the "Next" button below.

Well guess what. I have Windows 7 and Media Player 12. There is no "upgrade".

Similar problems with a half dozen movies... NOTHING will download.

Is 64-bit a problem?

Mr. Salty
12-09-11, 10:46 PM
I don't know. I have Windows 7 64-bit and have no problems with digital copies, but I always download the iTunes version because Windows Media Player is always such a pain in the ass.

al_bundy
12-10-11, 09:39 AM
The digital copy is nothing more than the iTunes or Zune copy of the movie

Mr. Salty
12-10-11, 02:00 PM
The digital copy is nothing more than the iTunes or Zune copy of the movie

No shit. Is there anything in this thread that would lead anyone to think otherwise?

al_bundy
12-10-11, 03:07 PM
Have you run windows update lately? Maybe it requires a newer build? I used iTunes the one time I had it.

Easy
12-10-11, 04:59 PM
Have you run windows update lately? Maybe it requires a newer build? I used iTunes the one time I had it.

Yes. As I said, everything is up to date.

One odd thing... The Super 8 dvd/dc offered 4 options:

itunes
windows media player
vudu
amazon instant media

It doesn't freak out if I select amazon but I have no idea what I would get. It is unclear if you dl a file (and what the extension is) or just stream it... or how many times you can stream it.

I don't have a vudu player but vudu is just streaming, right?

I don't have Apple anything so itunes is not an option.

al_bundy
12-11-11, 08:33 AM
The iTunes is just a mp4 file. Did it with monsters inc blu ray. Not sure if it's protected but should be playable on any device

Mr. Salty
12-11-11, 01:42 PM
The iTunes is just a mp4 file. Did it with monsters inc blu ray. Not sure if it's protected but should be playable on any device

Yes, they are protected. They will not play "on any device." They will play only in iTunes and compliant Apple products, and the OP doesn't have Apple devices.

davidh777
12-11-11, 04:07 PM
Yes. As I said, everything is up to date.

One odd thing... The Super 8 dvd/dc offered 4 options:

itunes
windows media player
vudu
amazon instant media

It doesn't freak out if I select amazon but I have no idea what I would get. It is unclear if you dl a file (and what the extension is) or just stream it... or how many times you can stream it.

I don't have a vudu player but vudu is just streaming, right?

I don't have Apple anything so itunes is not an option.

I've never seen an Amazon option before, but if it works like their regular purchases, you would stream it with an option to download, and you can stream as many times as you want.

TheBang
12-12-11, 06:15 PM
It would be helpful if OP indicated what kind of devices he/she would like to play back the digital copy on, as one of the alternatives might be a viable option.