Old 12-09-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weed Wars (Discovery Channel)

Weed Wars
Discovery Channel
Thursdays at 10
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/weed-wars/

<iframe id="dit-video-embed" width="640" height="360" src="http://static.discoverymedia.com/videos/components/dsc/8c561b40e724bd98d0924ffb8f2fbf159c4e63e7/snag-it-player.html?auto=no" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Oakland's Harborside Health Center is the nation's largest medicinal cannabis dispensary. Founder and executive director Steve DeAngelo has made twin missions of providing the best possible product to the patients who make up his client base, and educating the rest of the country about the regulation and taxation of those goods. WEED WARS takes an up close and personal look at the reality of running a controversial medicinal cannabis business.
Old 12-09-11, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Weed Wars (Discovery Channel)

Anyone watching this? It started last week and the 2nd episode was on last night which I haven't watched yet. It seems to me that Discovery edited this to make these people look as bad as possible. The clients are all freaks (the ones willing to go on camera) and the people that run the place are all freaks. One of the owners wears a dress and went to a city council meeting with it on and then wondered why their appeal was turned down. For some reason, I don't think this show will have the desired effect the owners would like.

All that aside, it is pretty entertaining.
Old 12-19-11, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Morale is low and their chief buyer is stealing from them. Perhaps you need to get higher quality people and pay them more? The whole staff seems like they are untrustworthy and stoned all the time.
Old 12-19-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get a sense that the shows producers don't have to try very hard to make this montley crew look silly. And while I have a lot of sympathy for people in true pain/crisis who partake in the herb, none of the employees/owners seem to have any pressing medical need for it, yet they all seem to basically work and then get high. Not exactly giving medicinal marijuna a good name.
Old 12-19-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's why I essentially disagree with their premise. They want marijuana to only be referred to as medicine and take exception to it being called a recreational drug. Yet they all use it recreationally. Their insistence on making this a medical issue hurts the pro-legalization argument because it brings about attacks from their own constituency. The pro-legalization camp doesn't need attacks from conservatives AND from the medical marijuana crowd.

The owners look stoned all the time. This also hurts their argument. But since they don't see it as "recreational" it appears to be OK to be stoned all day long.
Old 12-19-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You definitely get the sense watching the show that recreational users hide behind the designation of medicinal marijuana to faciliate thier own use. And what better way to hide than working at one of these places.

I'm no prude, and while I've never smoked pot, I don't think it's the end of the world if you do. But if you're a pot head, then be a proud pot head. Don't go hiding behind loopholes and legalize like a freakin' lawyer.
Old 12-19-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
You definitely get the sense watching the show that recreational users hide behind the designation of medicinal marijuana to faciliate thier own use. And what better way to hide than working at one of these places.

I'm no prude, and while I've never smoked pot, I don't think it's the end of the world if you do. But if you're a pot head, then be a proud pot head. Don't go hiding behind loopholes and legalize like a freakin' lawyer.
Well, duh. The percentage of folks who actually utilitze the "medical" side ... is likely under 1%. But I have no problem with where it's going ... with the medicinal stuff. The stuff is high quality. You can get away from sketchy drug dealers. It creates real jobs and economic growth.

People who want problems will always get into problems. I don't think that smoking pot hurts anyone who wasn't already destined for failure. It's silly how socially acceptable alcoholics are. And then see how demonized potheads are.

And I don't smoke pot. I don't really like people who smoke it. And I've had employees before who obviously smoke it - and they were terrible employees. But, really, people can live however they want.