Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

HD TiVo Back on DirecTV

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
HD TiVo Back on DirecTV

Just got an email that Tivo is again available on DirecTV in HD. Anyone have this?

I used to have TiVo in SD on Directv and loved it. I've Direct HD DVR for long though that i'm not sure it's worth going back to TiVo anymore. Any thoughts by Diectv users?
Old 12-08-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: HD TiVo Back on DirecTV

I doubt anyone has it yet as it just came out today. It is also $5 extra a month and it doesn't have all the functionality of the DirecTV hddvr.
Old 12-08-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I wish I could go back to Tivo as I liked their interface better than the Directv DVRs, but I'm under a 2 year contract after upgrading my equipment in 2010, so I can't do anything until next summer at the earliest.
Old 12-09-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave up my TiVo this past January when I got DirecTV, and honestly... I don't miss it. The DirecTV DVR is fine.

It makes me sad, but it's the way it is.
Old 12-09-11, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I have a SD DirecTIVO and besides the obvious difference SD vs. HD, I think the DTV HDDVR is far more user friendly.
Old 12-09-11, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Fwiw the new hd interface for the DirecTV hddvrs is hitting soon.
Old 12-09-11, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
Really? I did not know this. Is there a place where we can check it out?
Old 12-09-11, 09:49 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Is it actually rolling out finally? I know they were talking early November on DBSTalk a few people were getting it already, and by the end of November most would have it. I'm sure they ran into issues and wanted to be sure it was working right...

From what I've seen, it looks very nice. The biggest gripe seems to be it still only shows 1.5 hours in the guide.
Old 12-09-11, 09:54 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Really? I did not know this. Is there a place where we can check it out?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wmYCc0mpvtw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Should make their supposed HBOGo-esque HBO On Demand a lot easier to implement than before.
Old 12-09-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

A friend of mine was one of the testers. I didn't see the big deal about it, but I didn't really spend much time checking it out.
Old 12-09-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aktick
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wmYCc0mpvtw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Should make their supposed HBOGo-esque HBO On Demand a lot easier to implement than before.
Thanks. Looks okay I guess, but I'm not blown away. Then again it's hard to know without being able to play around with it.
Old 12-09-11, 10:19 AM
Suspended

I think the main thing is it will be much faster, supposedly. No more clunky guide and menu changes. Plus a little cleaner look, I guess.

Sounds like it will be a few MONTHS before every market gets it.
Old 12-09-11, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't mind having the TiVo peanut remote control back.
Old 01-10-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Somehow I completely missed this news, until I saw an offer from weaknees for it. So anyone have the new Tivo yet? Also, does the $199 have to be accompanied by a contract renewal?

I'm still not sure why DirecTV did this deal with Tivo. They just came out with a new HD DVR of their own (5 channels at the same time or something like that), and the Tivo doesn't even have all of the features of their old DVRs. Unless there's something I'm missing (and I was a huge Tivo fan back in the day), why would someone pay the extra five bucks a month for this? The interface?
Old 01-10-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

Last week all of my Directv DVRs got a software upgrade and they changed the color and appearances of the menus and the menus look exactly like the picture aktick posted.

No more of the ugly light blue and yellow menus on your Directv DVR.
Old 01-10-12, 03:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Last week all of my Directv DVRs got a software upgrade and they changed the color and appearances of the menus and the menus look exactly like the picture aktick posted.

it is alot faster too. like the change.
Old 01-10-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

It's not out for everyone. They are rolling it out slowly to different markets. I'm too lazy to link it, but if you do some research on DBSTalk.com, there's a post that shows when you can expect it if you don't already have it.
Old 01-10-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few years ago, I would have been all over this. But now, I have no desire to go away from the DTV HD DVR's. Once they finally added the true dual buffers to them, that greatly lessened my desire to go back to a TiVo. Throw in Whole Home, and it's a wrap.

Weird, given how much of a TiVo fan I was in the beginning (I won a free Sony one from them when Tivo first came out). Had the decal in the window of my SUV, paid the $900 for the first HD-TiVo on DTV, and all that. Now...... "meh"
Old 01-10-12, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not out for everyone. They are rolling it out slowly to different markets. I'm too lazy to link it, but if you do some research on DBSTalk.com, there's a post that shows when you can expect it if you don't already have it.
I guess the Bay Area was one of those lucky markets.
Old 01-10-12, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

So is Los Angeles... it was a pretty dramatic change when I turned it on for the first time after the change, but they did a great job... nicer looking, and seamless upgrade. With that and the new DVR they announced at pretty much the same time as the Tivo, are they trying to bury it, or did they just look to get something out the door and plan to have a full-featured Tivo out later?
Old 01-10-12, 08:53 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Daryl
A few years ago, I would have been all over this. But now, I have no desire to go away from the DTV HD DVR's. Once they finally added the true dual buffers to them, that greatly lessened my desire to go back to a TiVo. Throw in Whole Home, and it's a wrap.

Weird, given how much of a TiVo fan I was in the beginning (I won a free Sony one from them when Tivo first came out). Had the decal in the window of my SUV, paid the $900 for the first HD-TiVo on DTV, and all that. Now...... "meh"
Heady times indeed - I bought one of the very first Dtivo's for 900 and sold it almost straight away for 1800 as I was travelling
Old 10-04-12, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the TIVO receiver for another room and I am not impressed.

TIVO was good in 2006 but now it seems outdated plus the guide covers the entire screen so you can't see anything or browse the guide while watching TV at the same time.

Also you don't get the pictures of movie posters or pictures in general when you tape a movie or TV show on the TIVO.

No 3D or Whole Room Service or Youtube.

Directv HD DVR is leaps and bounds over the TIVO model and supposedly it won the PC Magazine readers choice award according to Directv.com.

Directv will introduce HMC DVR or the home video center DVR where you can record 5 shows at once similar to the Dish Network Hopper later this year.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conten...y/hmc_receiver

Old 10-04-12, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk God

The hmc dvr (hr34) is already out everywhere, and iirc. I have it and love it.
Old 10-04-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to have a Tivo Series 2 and loved it too death. When I switched to Directv from cable last year I thought I was going to miss it. I haven't missed it one bit. Directv's DVRs are very easy to use, I haven't missed any shows and my wife knows how to use it without any help from me!
Old 10-04-12, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got the HD34 (got it during the Viacom dispute) and love it. Always missed the Tivo and they were going to give me that instead (since I threatened to go back to Tivo) but the no "whole home" thing is what got me. The interface on DTV has improved SO MUCH since we first got rid of our DirecTivo that I don't think I'll ever go back. I do hate the glaring blue lights (we've got a Tom Servo in front of 1 and a Crow in front of the other, thanks MST3K collector's editions LOL).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.