Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Way (2010, D: Emilio Estevez) S: Martin Sheen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 12:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sort of surprised a thread regarding this movie didn't exist already, since the word of mouth of this movie is making it a certified hit.

Emilio Estevez' film is about a father's journey (played by Emilio's own father Martin Sheen) overseas to recover the body of his estranged son who died while traveling the "El camino de Santiago" from France to Spain, while there he decides to walk what his son was unable to accomplish, along the way he discovers and interacts with his fellow 'walkers'.

The film wonderfully intercuts from the humanistic character idiosyncrasies and relationships to the photography of the countryside.

Initially an AMC theater exclusive, the attention and audience word of mouth has caused the distributor to release this to more theaters to great acclaim and I very much recommend this movie
Old 12-08-11, 01:18 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
re: The Way (2010, D: Emilio Estevez) S: Martin Sheen

Emilio and Martin did a nationwide tour a couple months back promoting this movie, signing autographs, etc. I missed out on meeting them when they made an appearance at a Wal-Mart(!) here in Minneapolis.

Anyway, haven't seen the movie yet, but may plan on it now that it's expanding.
Old 12-08-11, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Martin Sheen in a leading role? Yes, please.
Old 12-08-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Hmm, this is playing near me. I might check it out tonight.
Old 12-08-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All depends on the person watching it as to the reaction to this one.

It's rather trite and predictable, but it is sincere and that helps a lot.

It's not good film making, but the heart of the story can carry the day for some viewers.
Old 12-09-11, 12:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
It's rather trite and predictable, but it is sincere and that helps a lot.
Er, could you compare it to any other film you've seen that fits that description? Trite, predictable, but still sincere and good?
Old 12-09-11, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this last year at TIFF where it got a prolonged standing ovation. Beautiful and heartfelt movie. The message is simple (enjoy your life and make the most of it) but sometimes the simplest messages are the most powerful. As someone who has been bitten hard by the travel bug, this movie was right up my alley.
Old 03-30-23, 03:12 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Interesting... Estevez has gotten the rights back to the film and will try to give it a second life by re-releasing it in theatres in May via Fathom events. He is also developing a sequel. I haven't seen it since it was released, but I remember liking it a lot.

I'd assume it will make its way back to streaming after the theatrical run.

EXCLUSIVE: After a two-year journey to gain back the rights to The Way, Emilio Estevez has arranged with Fathom Events to re-release the film nationwide on May 16 on about 800 screens or more. The effort has led to not only a chance to dust off a 12-year old film, but also to start progress on a sequel.

The film was scripted and directed by Estevez, partly inspired by the Jack Hitt book Off The Road: A Modern Day Walk Down the Pilgrim’s Route Into Spain. The film starred Estevez’s dad, Martin Sheen, and the director played the small role of a man who died while making the pilgrimage called El Camino de Santiago, also known as The Way of Saint James. This is where the Apostle James was buried. His dad takes over the effort, his son’s ashes in tow, and is about the people he meets along the way and how the journey changes him. Deborah Kara Unger, James Nesbitt, and Yorick van Wageningen also starred.

“This has always been a very special movie to me,” Estevez said while aboard a train with Sheen and the travel writer Rick Steves, to film a discussion about the meaning of the movie. “My father has done films like Badlands, Apocalypse Now and The West Wing, and this is right up there with those in terms of his performance,” Estevez told Deadline. “I’ve always been so proud of his work. This has grown from a passion project into something else. We’ve been talking about doing a follow up, a sequel of sorts. Martin says he’s up for it and I’ve cracked the code for what it would be. I will go to Spain to do promotion for this, but also testing the waters for what a sequel might look like.

“This is a second bite at the apple, which is rare for a movie,” Estevez said. “It’s a movie that is now more of its time than when we made it. Going through and coming out of Covid, people want to get out and travel again, see the world and be less isolated.”
https://deadline.com/2023/03/emilio-...el-1235312972/