DVD Talk
The Republican Field and Primary Thread (Part 3) [Archive] - Page 5 - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Republican Field and Primary Thread (Part 3)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

shadowhawk2020
01-19-12, 08:35 PM
I favor the return of the draft.

I'm realistic enough to know it won't happen.

But would you force them to serve without the ability to elect their commander and the people in charge of sending them to war?

X
01-19-12, 09:46 PM
But would you force them to serve without the ability to elect their commander and the people in charge of sending them to war?That's the evil genius of the plan!

TheBigDave
01-19-12, 09:52 PM
Honey Badger goes nuclear on John King:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1Yf_005EqDM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rotfl

Sean O'Hara
01-19-12, 11:06 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1Yf_005EqDM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rotfl

Yeah, that is hilarious. Newt had no problem wasting millions of dollars in tax-payers' money to find out that Bill Clinton liked BJs from women not named Hillary, but the moment the question turns to his sex life, it's beyond the pale.

Th0r S1mpson
01-19-12, 11:26 PM
He handled that about as well as he could have. Hard to believe Newt is going to be the nomineee, but... it looks like Newt is going to be the nominee.

I don't know how Ron Paul will capture enough states to change that.

Jaymole
01-19-12, 11:27 PM

rotfl

As much as I dislike Newt, he was right...they should not have opened the debate with that question.

Superboy
01-20-12, 12:25 AM
I favor the return of the draft.

I'm realistic enough to know it won't happen.

I don't. The draft would be immensely costly today.

georgec
01-20-12, 01:55 AM
I would love to see Santorum debate Obama.

Mammal
01-20-12, 02:57 AM
I don't. The draft would be immensely costly today.

Not really. When you draft people for two years you can afford to pay lower salaries. I started at $97.50 per month. The base pay for a PFC (E-3) was $155 per month. Draftees are cheap.

They should make everybody register, take some standardized tests and list their qualifications, then draft what is needed - we'd probably draft the best video gamers to be drone pilots, for example. We wouldn't have to take convicted felons, druggies or gang members either. The Abu Ghraib perps, for example, wouldn't be among the draftees, or allowed to volunteer.

MoviePage
01-20-12, 04:52 AM
I'm disturbed by the fact that there are people in the modern civilized world who believe forced military service should be something that's even considered in a purportedly free country. It's about one step up from slavery in my view.

RoyalTea
01-20-12, 06:01 AM
I'm disturbed by the fact that there are people in the modern civilized world who believe forced military service should be something that's even considered in a purportedly free country. It's about one step up from slavery in my view.

The United States has 5% of the world's people, but 25% of the world's prisoners. That pretty much dispels the myth that this is a free country.

OldDude
01-20-12, 06:55 AM
As much as I dislike Newt, he was right...they should not have opened the debate with that question.

Why? If a man can't honor a contract with his wife (foresaking all others) or a commandment from his God (adultery), why should I believe he will do what he says, honor his contract with the voters, or tell me the truth? (also, why should I listen to him pontificate about family values?)

He is obviously just another privileged politician who believes he can get away with anything but enjoys scoring cheap shots on his opponents.

Since I've never voted for a Democrat in my life, I'll have a real dilemma if he wins the nomination. Sadly, I am not so gullible as to believe the others are more honest or exhibit more moral character, just that they are less caught red-handed. I think Newt's behavior transcends being explained away by "nobody's perfect."

rw2516
01-20-12, 07:14 AM
The United States has 5% of the world's people, but 25% of the world's prisoners. That pretty much dispels the myth that this is a free country.

The more free a country, the higher the crime.

rw2516
01-20-12, 07:24 AM
That sounds like your own personal view of history. The Tea Party was formed no earlier than 2009. You can claim that the "tea party spirit" started before or that Ron Paul has embodied the Tea Party beliefs before 2009, but there were no organizations referred to as the "Tea Party" in 2007.

To believe your claim that the Tea Party started in 2007 one would have to believe that the Tea Party was silent during the whole TARP bailouts and auto industry bailouts. Either that, or I completely missed all mention of Tea Party rallies occurring during that period.

This. I refer to them as the "Sore Loser Party". An organized version of those who were bitching about Florida in the Bush/Gore election. Should Obama lose expect an opposite version of The Tea Party to appear made up of liberals and democrats.

rw2516
01-20-12, 07:30 AM
The only way a draft would work in today's U.S.

Random lottery
Absolutely no deferments or exemptions of any kind except medical
Public records of everyone who gets drafted

Lobbyists will never allow a draft because there will be absolutely no way to get their kids out of it.

Superboy
01-20-12, 08:23 AM

There are countries that are more free than America, where marijuana is properly decriminalized, gay marriage is legal on a federal level, and so on, and they have less crime than the US.

Superboy
01-20-12, 08:27 AM
Not really. When you draft people for two years you can afford to pay lower salaries. I started at $97.50 per month. The base pay for a PFC (E-3) was $155 per month. Draftees are cheap.

They should make everybody register, take some standardized tests and list their qualifications, then draft what is needed - we'd probably draft the best video gamers to be drone pilots, for example. We wouldn't have to take convicted felons, druggies or gang members either. The Abu Ghraib perps, for example, wouldn't be among the draftees, or allowed to volunteer.

When were you drafted? the costs of training and supplying draftees is much higher today, as is the cost of equipment and all the technological support systems. You also have to take into consideration that each draftee is another person not working, not contributing to the economy, and not really paying any taxes.

Venusian
01-20-12, 08:31 AM
why is the open marriage thing big news? why does anyone care?

we already know he had an affair so we already know he didn't care about the marriage vows. asking her for an open marriage would mean he actually gave her a heads up ;)

Superboy
01-20-12, 08:32 AM
The only way a draft would work in today's U.S.

Random lottery
Absolutely no deferments or exemptions of any kind except medical
Public records of everyone who gets drafted

Lobbyists will never allow a draft because there will be absolutely no way to get their kids out of it.

That's the ideal way you'd want a draft to work, but we all know that's not how it would turn out. Everyone on the front lines would end up being a poor ethnic group.

wendersfan
01-20-12, 08:40 AM
why is the open marriage thing big news? why does anyone care?People care because of how Gingrich went after Bill Clinton because of the latter's infidelities. I don't know how much I care (I think Gingrich is pretty loathsome anyway; this doesn't change that), but I'd be willing to bet that if it were one of Newt's opponents he'd go after that person with both barrels.

Venusian
01-20-12, 08:46 AM
People care because of how Gingrich went after Bill Clinton because of the latter's infidelities. I don't know how much I care (I think Gingrich is pretty loathsome anyway; this doesn't change that), but I'd be willing to bet that if it were one of Newt's opponents he'd go after that person with both barrels.
I think that hypocrisy of his is valid...but I don't think the open marriage changes anything. The hypocrisy was already there and known with the affair.

RoyalTea
01-20-12, 09:29 AM
People care because of how Gingrich went after Bill Clinton because of the latter's infidelities. I don't know how much I care (I think Gingrich is pretty loathsome anyway; this doesn't change that), but I'd be willing to bet that if it were one of Newt's opponents he'd go after that person with both barrels.

I think the real hypocrisy is that someone with a history of infidelity probably shouldn't ever talk about anyone else destroying the sanctity of marriage. If he wanted to be with other women, he should end his marriage.

If you want to talk about how this makes him a hypocrite concerning the Clinton impeachment, find an example of Newt committing perjury.

orangecrush
01-20-12, 09:34 AM
I'm disturbed by the fact that there are people in the modern civilized world who believe forced military service should be something that's even considered in a purportedly free country. It's about one step up from slavery in my view.I am not sure if this list makes your point or refutes it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_service#Countries_with_mandatory_military_service

Tracer Bullet
01-20-12, 09:34 AM

Especially if you make consensual drug use a crime and then over the course of 30 years ratchet up the enforcement to the point where people convicted of a drug offense have no choice but to become criminals to feed and house themselves.

orangecrush
01-20-12, 09:35 AM
The United States has 5% of the world's people, but 25% of the world's prisoners. That pretty much dispels the myth that this is a free country.Is it our fault that China and India won't step up?

Tracer Bullet
01-20-12, 09:36 AM
why is the open marriage thing big news? why does anyone care?

we already know he had an affair so we already know he didn't care about the marriage vows. asking her for an open marriage would mean he actually gave her a heads up ;)

I have no problems with an open marriage, but Gingrich is a sleazeball for cheating on his wife and THEN asking for an open marriage.

Of course, that's not the only reason Gingrich is a sleazeball.

Venusian
01-20-12, 09:46 AM
I have no problems with an open marriage, but Gingrich is a sleazeball for cheating on his wife and THEN asking for an open marriage.

Of course, that's not the only reason Gingrich is a sleazeball.

i agree that gingrich is a sleazeball. i was just surprised (some) people didn't already know

CRM114
01-20-12, 09:49 AM
I was more surprised by the standing ovations Newt received for being a sleazeball last night.

classicman2
01-20-12, 10:15 AM
Come on! Gingrich is certainly not the first politician to 'cheat' on his wife. I would list a number of presidents who have done so, but I don't have that much space to list them. Some of them, most analysts agree, have made pretty good presidents & governors & senators.

It seems that some of our members are selective in their condemnation of those whose political philosophy they disagree with, but willing to overlook the foibles of those that they don't disagree with.

classicman2
01-20-12, 10:22 AM

Mammal, you know we're the only two members of the forum who favor the return of the draft; and, we're the only two members who were drafted.

If we had the draft we wouldn't still be in Afghanistan. There would be a public outcry because it would be difficult to find a family that didn't have a son, daughter, father, etc. who wasn't involved.

CRM114
01-20-12, 10:23 AM
Surely you understand the difference between a run of the mill adulterer and one who professes "family values" and condemns others for the same activities he participates in?

RoyalTea
01-20-12, 10:25 AM
Come on! Gingrich is certainly not the first politician to 'cheat' on his wife. I would list a number of presidents who have done so, but I don't have that much space to list them. Some of them, most analysts agree, have made pretty good presidents & governors & senators.

It seems that some of our members are selective in their condemnation of those whose political philosophy they disagree with, but willing to overlook the foibles of those that they don't disagree with.

Gingrich is certainly free to cheat on his wives. Last I checked, adultery isn't a crime. I just wish people with shitty marriages would STFU about other people destroying the sanctity of marriage.

classicman2
01-20-12, 10:28 AM
Surely you understand the difference between a run of the mill adulterer and one who professes "family values" and condemns others for the same activities he participates in?

No, I don't understand the difference.

But I understand why you believe there is - you don't agree with them politically.

CRM114
01-20-12, 10:34 AM
Really? Wow.

As far as "agreeing with them politically," I suppose it stands to reason since the people I do agree with politically don't go around on a soapbox speaking about the sanctity of marriage and family values.

Th0r S1mpson
01-20-12, 10:34 AM
run of the mill adulterer

Come on, Bill Clinton was a fantastic adulterer.

CRM114
01-20-12, 10:39 AM
Bill Clinton may also have had that "arrangement" with his wife. We don't know. We do know that Newt's wife claimed they did NOT have that arrangement.

movielib
01-20-12, 10:39 AM
Especially if you make consensual drug use a crime and then over the course of 30 years ratchet up the enforcement to the point where people convicted of a drug offense have no choice but to become criminals to feed and house themselves.
This is certainly a big part of it.

And I don't think it is true at all that:

Not if you're talking about real crime, the kind that violates others' rights and involves the initiation of force or fraud or the threat of force.

In fact, I think it's just the opposite.

CRM114
01-20-12, 10:45 AM
I've heard rumors that Mitt Romney has $7 million in an offshore account in the Cayman Islands. If this is true, does it completely torpedo his chances at being President? The potential President of the United States sheltered $7 million in an offshore account to avoid paying United States taxes.

wendersfan
01-20-12, 10:55 AM
If you want to talk about how this makes him a hypocrite concerning the Clinton impeachment, find an example of Newt committing perjury.I'm not interested in the Clinton impeachment. Actually, I am, but only in the sense that it's of historical interest. I didn't have a side and I certainly have no axe to grind.
I've heard rumors that Mitt Romney has $7 million in an offshore account in the Cayman Islands. If this is true, does it completely torpedo his chances at being President? The potential President of the United States sheltered $7 million in an offshore account to avoid paying United States taxes.
No, it won't matter.

I was discussing this (in a general sense) with a co-worker this morning. People who are inclined to vote for Romney, i.e., "Republicans", will see this as affirmation that he's a canny businessman who is able to avoid paying ruinous taxes. People who are not inclined to vote for him, i.e., "Democrats", will see this as further proof that he's an evil plutocrat who exemplifies the worst aspects of rampant and runaway American capitalism.

Sean O'Hara
01-20-12, 11:02 AM

I agree. It's absolutely stupid to care where a politician is sticking his dick. But I make an exception for douchebags who wasted millions of dollars investigating where the President was sticking his dick while sticking his own in someone other than his wife. How anyone can believe Gingrich has any credibility after this, I don't know -- the gap between what he says and what he does is wider than Monica's ass.

CRM114
01-20-12, 11:05 AM
No, it won't matter.

I was discussing this (in a general sense) with a co-worker this morning. People who are inclined to vote for Romney, i.e., "Republicans", will see this as affirmation that he's a canny businessman who is able to avoid paying ruinous taxes. People who are not inclined to vote for him, i.e., "Democrats", will see this as further proof that he's an evil plutocrat who exemplifies the worst aspects of rampant and runaway American capitalism.

Interesting. I think you are right.

This is the Republican nominee for President though and not the newest host of Celebrity Apprentice. You'd think Americans would require their President to pay taxes just as they do and not "hide" money in a foreign country.

crazyronin
01-20-12, 11:35 AM
Interesting. I think you are right.

This is the Republican nominee for President though and not the newest host of Celebrity Apprentice. You'd think Americans would require their President to pay taxes just as they do and not "hide" money in a foreign country.

Anything over $1000 must be reported to the IRS as income and there is a Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty between the Cayman Islands and the U.S.

It is neither illegal or unethical to have a Cayman bank account.

JasonF
01-20-12, 11:39 AM
Come on! Gingrich is certainly not the first politician to 'cheat' on his wife.

Out of curiosity, what would Gingrich need to do to lose the quotes around cheat?

JasonF
01-20-12, 11:43 AM

I'll go you one further -- those on the right will argue that any Cayman account that may exist is proof that Romney is right and we need to change our tax laws to remove the incentive to move money to the Caymans (i.e. lower taxes on the kinds of people who would put money in the Caymans).

Th0r S1mpson
01-20-12, 11:47 AM
I'm not understanding why an offshore account is villainous. Are you supposed to intentionally expose yourself to maximum taxation out of a sense of duty?

Jaymole
01-20-12, 11:52 AM
I'm not understanding why an offshore account is villainous. Are you supposed to intentionally expose yourself to maximum taxation out of a sense of duty?

Exactly

And they are also job creators....look at all the jobs in banking being created in the Caymans.

CRM114
01-20-12, 11:56 AM
Anything over $1000 must be reported to the IRS as income and there is a Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty between the Cayman Islands and the U.S.

It is neither illegal or unethical to have a Cayman bank account.

If there is no advantage then why do it?

wendersfan
01-20-12, 11:58 AM
I'm not understanding why an offshore account is villainous.It's a post hoc argument. If I'm a liberal Democrat then I think Governor Romney is a villain. Therefore, his behavior is villainous.

SuprVgeta
01-20-12, 11:59 AM
The Romney campaign responded very quickly stating that they have paid all of the legal taxes at the U.S. rate on those monies in the Cayman Island account(s).

orangecrush
01-20-12, 12:03 PM
I'm not interested in the Clinton impeachment. Actually, I am, but only in the sense that it's of historical interest. I didn't have a side and I certainly have no axe to grind.

No, it won't matter.

I was discussing this (in a general sense) with a co-worker this morning. People who are inclined to vote for Romney, i.e., "Republicans", will see this as affirmation that he's a canny businessman who is able to avoid paying ruinous taxes. People who are not inclined to vote for him, i.e., "Democrats", will see this as further proof that he's an evil plutocrat who exemplifies the worst aspects of rampant and runaway American capitalism.There you go dismissing the massive undecided vote again. ;)

CRM114
01-20-12, 12:04 PM
The Romney campaign responded very quickly stating that they have paid all of the legal taxes at the U.S. rate on those monies in the Cayman Island account(s).

Why are they there? I'm willing to be convinced that there is nothing unethical going on.

wendersfan
01-20-12, 12:08 PM
There you go dismissing the massive undecided vote again. ;)

http://www.psychic-junkie.com/images/flipping-a-coin-gives-you-the-truth-of-the-matter-21350026.jpg

dork
01-20-12, 12:10 PM
Is that a pic of Romney paying his taxes?

crazyronin
01-20-12, 12:17 PM
Why are they there? I'm willing to be convinced that there is nothing unethical going on.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2012/01/20/mitt-not-alone-investment-funds-often-have-second-home-cayman-islands/3oTW7uOIru8EeHVia2HPtM/story.html

kvrdave
01-20-12, 12:23 PM
I'll go you one further -- those on the right will argue that any Cayman account that may exist is proof that Romney is right and we need to change our tax laws to remove the incentive to move money to the Caymans (i.e. lower taxes on the kinds of people who would put money in the Caymans).

What in the world would your argument be? That the tax code is fine the way it is?

X
01-20-12, 12:24 PM
For several years now, since the UBS/Swiss/IRS agreements, offshore income is discoverable, and subject to U.S. taxation and severe penalties if not reported. But there's nothing wrong in having it as long as you report it.

Venusian
01-20-12, 12:52 PM
It's a post hoc argument. If I'm a liberal Democrat then I think Governor Romney is a villain. Therefore, his behavior is villainous.
this is where someone brings up Kerry's yacht again

Dr Mabuse
01-20-12, 12:53 PM
Kerry had that yacht.

kvrdave
01-20-12, 12:55 PM
:lol:

Groucho
01-20-12, 01:08 PM
If there is no advantage then why do it?To support the Cayman economy of course!

JasonF
01-20-12, 01:11 PM
It's a post hoc argument. If I'm a liberal Democrat then I think Governor Romney is a villain. Therefore, his behavior is villainous.

Let's be fair -- it's not as if, prior to this campaign, nobody had ever expressed disapproval of people stashing their money in the Caymans.

Psi
01-20-12, 01:14 PM
I agree. It's absolutely stupid to care where a politician is sticking his dick. But I make an exception for douchebags who wasted millions of dollars investigating where the President was sticking his dick while sticking his own in someone other than his wife. How anyone can believe Gingrich has any credibility after this, I don't know -- the gap between what he says and what he does is wider than Monica's ass.

Next time please please please be less descriptive :eek:

wmansir
01-20-12, 01:17 PM
this is where someone brings up Kerry's yacht again

It's not the tax dodging, it's the hypocrisy.

It's ok for republicans to cheat on their taxes because they are anti-tax, just like it's ok for Dems to cheat on their marriage because they are anti-(hetero)marriage. ;)

wmansir
01-20-12, 01:22 PM
Let's be fair -- it's not as if, prior to this campaign, nobody had ever expressed disapproval of people stashing their money in the Caymans.
I don't know if I would call placing money in registered investment accounts and then reporting it on financial disclosure forms "stashing money".

OldDude
01-20-12, 01:24 PM
Gingrich is certainly free to cheat on his wives. Last I checked, adultery isn't a crime. I just wish people with shitty marriages would STFU about other people destroying the sanctity of marriage.

Well, it is IF you are an evangelical Christian; it's one of the freaking Commandments. Or, how about cheating while you criticize someone else for cheating.

CRM114
01-20-12, 01:48 PM
I don't know if I would call placing money in registered investment accounts and then reporting it on financial disclosure forms "stashing money".

Because the USA, whom presumably this man wants to be President of, has no acceptable investment banks?

CRM114
01-20-12, 01:53 PM
Shall we discuss bringing home dead fetuses for the children?

Rick Santorum’s Dead-Baby Ritual (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/03/rick-santorum-s-dead-baby-ritual0.html)
by David Sessions Jan 3, 2012 5:41 PM EST

Religious families like the Santorums may seem obsessed with their dead infants, but their strange reactions may not be so unusual—especially to parents who are coping with loss of a child.

Fox News contributor Alan Colmes brought Rick Santorum and his wife to tears Monday when he criticized their unusual reaction to the death of their infant son, Gabriel, in 1996. The Santorums brought the baby home with them after he lived only a couple of hours.

In discussing the events, Colmes said that they "played with it for a couple of hours so his other children would know that the child was real." Santorum and his wife both broke down sobbing when asked to respond, and, amid a storm of conservative outrage, Colmes called them to apologize for his “hurtful comment.”

Even if you think Colmes crossed the line, you have to admit the Santorums taking their dead child home to be “introduced” to their three living children is pretty bizarre. (The story of the incident seems to have originated in the candidate's wife Karen’s book, Letters to Gabriel.)

Considering Santorum’s hardline Catholic views on abortion (he favors the criminalization of all abortion and supports states’ rights to ban contraception), it’s tempting to read the anecdote through the lens of the pro-life movement’s morbid fetishization of the fetus, from plastic embryos to grisly posters and billboards designed to show that fetuses are human beings.

It’s hard not to compare it to the Duggar family, of the reality show 19 Kids and Counting, who showed images of their miscarried 20th child on a large screen at the baby’s funeral.

There’s no denying that conservative Christian families with views similar to the Santorums or the Duggars can have unusual relationships with children that have died. These rituals that strike others as odd might involve referring to their deceased children as if they were living members of the family, naming them, and writing letters or even books to them. It goes without saying that these reactions are connected to the belief that bearing children is an indication of God’s blessing and favor.

But it’s hard to say if this behavior, however strange it seems, is unique to pro-life Christians. By now we all know the story of Barbara Bush showing a young George W. a miscarried fetus she had brought home from the hospital in a jar. Among tales of parental grief, that’s a relatively mild reaction to what some psychologists describe as the most intense emotion a human being can feel. The simplest explanation seems to be that the trauma of losing a child can cause people to do some very strange things, and it’s not surprising to see a family that deeply spiritualizes the birth of children imbue a loss with a similar degree of intense religious meaning.

wmansir
01-20-12, 02:06 PM
Because the USA, whom presumably this man wants to be President of, has no acceptable investment banks?

As per the article Crazyronin posted:

a. It is part of a blind trust he has no control over.

b. It's part an IRA, and it is routine for IRA and Pension funds to invest in Cayman based Funds, even the Massachusetts State Pension uses them.

c. It's also very common for investment firms like Bain Capitol, to register funds in the Caymans in order to allow foreign investors to participate without becoming entangled in the US legal system themselves. That doesn't mean US investors to such funds don't have to follow US law.

Venusian
01-20-12, 02:14 PM

The child was alive for 2 hours and we still refer to him as a fetus? How long does a baby have to live before it can be a baby?

They had a child that died and they brought it home for the other children to see...basically a wake and we're going to criticize them for it? The "playing" comment was from Colmes, not the Santorums.

Tracer Bullet
01-20-12, 02:18 PM
I'm about as uncharitable to Santorum as anyone, but I'm not going to criticize the man or his family for grieving in whatever way they want.

Venusian
01-20-12, 02:21 PM
I'm about as uncharitable to Santorum as anyone, but I'm not going to criticize the man or his family for grieving in whatever way they want.

You said it better than I did. I'm not a fan of his and I won't vote for him, but I'm not going to exploit the grief of losing a child that I can't even begin to imagine.

sracer
01-20-12, 02:25 PM
The child was alive for 2 hours and we still refer to him as a fetus? How long does a baby have to live before it can be a baby?
Until they're old enough to find out how they'll vote. ;)

Th0r S1mpson
01-20-12, 02:27 PM

Let's not.

mosquitobite
01-20-12, 02:58 PM
You said it better than I did. I'm not a fan of his and I won't vote for him, but I'm not going to exploit the grief of losing a child that I can't even begin to imagine.

What I find odd is those who bring it up think the act is revolting and disgusting. Personally I find it revolting and disgusting for people to use it against him. It's not a fetus to him and his wife - it was their CHILD. The CHILD was 20 weeks? gestation. For God's sake, have a little compassion.

And I can't STAND Santorum, but really? CRM, that's low for you even!

wendersfan
01-20-12, 03:02 PM
let's not.

+1

DaveyJoe
01-20-12, 03:03 PM
I'm all for bringing back the draft. If there was a draft you can bet that we would not be at war.

mosquitobite
01-20-12, 03:07 PM
I'm all for bringing back the draft. If there was a draft you can bet that we would not be at war.

Or the only pro-war people would be those who get deferments. ;)

JasonF
01-20-12, 03:12 PM

:up: It's hard enough grieving the death of someone who has lived a full life. I can't imagine what it must be like to lose a baby.

arminius
01-20-12, 03:16 PM
The problem with a draft is that alot of people are just not suited to being in the military. I have seen them being used as bad examples before being thrown out. There would need to be other service options.

Groucho
01-20-12, 03:20 PM
The problem with a draft is that alot of people are just not suited to being in the military. I have seen them being used as bad examples before being thrown out. There would need to be other service options.According to Mitt Romney, working on his campaign is a suitable equivalent to military service.

X
01-20-12, 03:20 PM
I'm all for bringing back the draft. If there was a draft you can bet that we would not be at war.And that's why we never had any wars before the draft!

Tracer Bullet
01-20-12, 03:29 PM
And that's why we never had any wars before the draft!

To be fair, most American conscription laws were passed after the beginning of hostilities. Selective Service was quite the anomaly.

DaveyJoe
01-20-12, 04:01 PM
And that's why we never had any wars before the draft!

I know you're being sarcastic but I missed your point. I agree with another poster who said if there was a draft there would be much more public outcry over the wars we're engaged in. Less people care if they're not directly affected but if they were forced to send their sons over there they'd do a lot more to protest.

X
01-20-12, 04:08 PM
I know you're being sarcastic but I missed your point. I agree with another poster who said if there was a draft there would be much more public outcry over the wars we're engaged in. Less people care if they're not directly affected but if they were forced to send their sons over there they'd do a lot more to protest.

If we had a draft we would not have gone into Kuwait to remove Iraq? We would not have gone into Afghanistan after 9/11? And I'm not sure whether we would have gone into Iraq to remove Saddam, but Congress voted to authorize it.

If we had a draft I think there's a chance that we'd finish up the wars faster though, and that's probably not a bad thing.

DaveyJoe
01-20-12, 04:14 PM
If we had a draft we would not have gone into Kuwait to remove Iraq? We would not have gone into Afghanistan after 9/11? And I'm not sure whether we would have gone into Iraq to remove Saddam, but Congress voted to authorize it.

If we had a draft I think there's a chance that we'd finish up the wars faster though, and that's probably not a bad thing.

I think we would've started those wars, I just think they would have ended a lot sooner. I said if we had a draft we would not be at war now. I never said the existence of a draft would prevent every war we've been in.

CRM114
01-20-12, 04:34 PM
The Santorum baby was 20 weeks old. (What's that? 5 months?) If you don't think taking a dead, 20-week fetus home to cuddle with the children is strange, so be it. In my book, it's fucking weird and what funeral homes are for.

And yes, at 20 weeks, it is a fetus. It's the second trimester for gods sake.

RoyalTea
01-20-12, 05:07 PM
Since when has it ever been okay to make fun of a man who lost a child?

Does this mean I can head down to the NICU and make fun of any parent who's worried about the health of their premie if I think they share a different political philosophy than me?

Navinabob
01-20-12, 05:08 PM
The Santorum baby was 20 weeks old. (What's that? 5 months?) If you don't think taking a dead, 20-week fetus home to cuddle with the children is strange, so be it. In my book, it's fucking weird and what funeral homes are for.

And yes, at 20 weeks, it is a fetus. It's the second trimester for gods sake.

Wait... 20 weeks old (out of the body) or 20 week along (inside the body)? We keep mixing the up here.

dork
01-20-12, 05:09 PM
http://www.stillbirthalliance.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=51

Seriously, let's drop it.

classicman2
01-20-12, 05:22 PM
I've heard the term evangelistic Christian time & time again on this forum & in the secular media.

Will someone define for what what an evangelistic Christian is?

RoyalTea
01-20-12, 05:24 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelism

Navinabob
01-20-12, 06:43 PM
I've heard the term evangelistic Christian time & time again on this forum & in the secular media.

They don't like gravity. ;)

http://www.theonion.com/articles/evangelical-scientists-refute-gravity-with-new-int,1778/

movielib
01-20-12, 07:00 PM

Actually it's evangelical. And it means annoying. ;)

dork
01-20-12, 07:23 PM

http://www.theonion.com/articles/evangelical-scientists-refute-gravity-with-new-int,1778/
This one's even funnier:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pastors-oppose-evolution-split-on-earths-age (http://www.lifeway.com/Article/Research-Poll-Pastors-oppose-evolution-split-on-earths-age)

arminius
01-20-12, 07:41 PM

Let's take a look at the evidence," said ECFR senior fellow Gregory Lunsden."In Matthew 15:14, Jesus says, 'And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.' He says nothing about some gravity making them fall—just that they will fall. Then, in Job 5:7, we read, 'But mankind is born to trouble, as surely as sparks fly upwards.' If gravity is pulling everything down, why do the sparks fly upwards with great surety? This clearly indicates that a conscious intelligence governs all falling."

I do not think he knows what that word,evidence, means. I dread the day when these guys and the Islamogourds realize how much they have in common.

Navinabob
01-20-12, 07:51 PM
This one's even funnier:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pastors-oppose-evolution-split-on-earths-age (http://www.lifeway.com/Article/Research-Poll-Pastors-oppose-evolution-split-on-earths-age)

Sometimes I wonder how much effort it takes for people to really will yourself that ignorant. I mean they have to actively block out reality.

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1087.gif

Mammal
01-20-12, 09:11 PM
When were you drafted? the costs of training and supplying draftees is much higher today, as is the cost of equipment and all the technological support systems. You also have to take into consideration that each draftee is another person not working, not contributing to the economy, and not really paying any taxes.

1969. I don't believe training and supply costs are drastically higher - the cost of equipment certainly is. We used simple, jeeplike vehicles (the M151) instead of expensive hummvees and the like. If we drafted the people we actually need the impact on the economy would be minimal...if we need an infantryman, we draft very fit 18-year-who are mentally stable; if we need a clerk, draft somebody who can use a computer.

The problem with the old draft was that it was unfair - well connected types like Bush, Clinton and Romney could dodge at will.

Josh-da-man
01-20-12, 09:19 PM

And here's a picture:

http://images.wikia.com/harrypotter/images/f/fc/Screen_shot_2011-11-27_at_7.26.27_PM.png

Th0r S1mpson
01-20-12, 09:28 PM
I do not think he knows what that word,evidence, means. I dread the day when these guys and the Islamogourds realize how much they have in common.

Sometimes I wonder how much effort it takes for people to really will yourself that ignorant. I mean they have to actively block out reality.

You two do realize the source, right?

maxfisher
01-20-12, 09:32 PM
Let's take a look at the evidence," said ECFR senior fellow Gregory Lunsden."In Matthew 15:14, Jesus says, 'And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.' He says nothing about some gravity making them fall—just that they will fall. Then, in Job 5:7, we read, 'But mankind is born to trouble, as surely as sparks fly upwards.' If gravity is pulling everything down, why do the sparks fly upwards with great surety? This clearly indicates that a conscious intelligence governs all falling."

Seriously? Two DVDTalkers in a row fell for an Onion article?

Superboy
01-20-12, 09:57 PM

It's not a secular term. It's their term. And it pretty much covers anyone who subscribes to the post-reformation protestant church.

Superboy
01-20-12, 10:14 PM
1969. I don't believe training and supply costs are drastically higher - the cost of equipment certainly is. We used simple, jeeplike vehicles (the M151) instead of expensive hummvees and the like. If we drafted the people we actually need the impact on the economy would be minimal...if we need an infantryman, we draft very fit 18-year-who are mentally stable; if we need a clerk, draft somebody who can use a computer.

The problem with the old draft was that it was unfair - well connected types like Bush, Clinton and Romney could dodge at will.

It's estimated that it costs about half a million dollars to bring a new recruit up to combat readiness.

JasonF
01-20-12, 11:25 PM
You two do realize the source, right?

Seriously? Two DVDTalkers in a row fell for an Onion article?

Arminius has no excuse, but you might want to take another look at the article dork posted and Navinabob commented on.

General Zod
01-21-12, 12:20 AM
Today Chuck Norris endorsed Newt Gingrich

/gameover

I really hate Gingrich but now I MUST vote for him.

Navinabob
01-21-12, 01:16 AM
Yeah, my link was clearly a joke. The 2nd I really wish was a joke...

Superboy
01-21-12, 06:14 AM
Yeah, my link was clearly a joke. The 2nd I really wish was a joke...

I didn't think that intelligent falling article was funny. It was just sad.

rw2516
01-21-12, 06:38 AM

Why there will never be another draft. The 1% with influence won't allow a fair draft, and the 99% won't stand still for an unfair one.

Venusian
01-21-12, 09:06 AM

Evangelical Christians share a similar theology (if that), but hold a vast variety of political views

mosquitobite
01-21-12, 09:56 AM
Why there will never be another draft. The 1% with influence won't allow a fair draft, and the 99% won't stand still for an unfair one.

:up: indeed!

Jason
01-21-12, 10:21 AM
Today Chuck Norris endorsed Newt Gingrich

/gameover

I really hate Gingrich but now I MUST vote for him.

I think I heard something else about old newt recently, but it must not have been anything major, since no one here's talking about it.

classicman2
01-21-12, 10:40 AM
The problem with a draft is that alot of people are just not suited to being in the military. I have seen them being used as bad examples before being thrown out. There would need to be other service options.

And that problem doesn't exist with an all-volunteer military?

mosquitobite
01-21-12, 11:14 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_2012

Votes cast thus far:
Romney: 127,396
Paul: 82,908
Santorum: 53,244
Gingrich: 39,584

CNN's Debate Winner Poll:
Paul........42%
Romney..29%
Gingrich..18%
Santorum12%

CNN's Post Debate coverage name drops:
Romney....87 times
Gingrich....82 times
Santorum..76 times
Ron Paul....1 time

Maybe this should go in the media bias thread instead?

Regardless of whether you support Dr Paul or will vote for him...why is the media treatment of Dr Paul so accepted?
Why is it ok for the media to declare him "unelectable" when Ron Paul polls better against Obama than Gingrich does?

Th0r S1mpson
01-21-12, 11:51 AM
I think I heard something else about old newt recently, but it must not have been anything major, since no one here's talking about it.

That's because we all heard about it years ago.

Josh-da-man
01-21-12, 01:40 PM
Newt Gingrich is a philandering scumbag who cheats on his wives?

Is that news to anyone?

TheMovieman
01-21-12, 01:54 PM
Newt Gingrich is a philandering scumbag who cheats on his wives?

Is that news to anyone?

You'd be amazed at what some people don't know...

Superboy
01-21-12, 02:06 PM

Votes cast thus far:

Paul........42%
Romney..29%
Gingrich..18%
Santorum12%

Romney....87 times
Gingrich....82 times
Santorum..76 times
Ron Paul....1 time

Regardless of whether you support Dr Paul or will vote for him...why is the media treatment of Dr Paul so accepted?
Why is it ok for the media to declare him "unelectable" when Ron Paul polls better against Obama than Gingrich does?

Thats actually been a hilarious recurring joke on The Daily Show.

sracer
01-21-12, 04:17 PM

Votes cast thus far:

Paul........42%
Romney..29%
Gingrich..18%
Santorum12%

Romney....87 times
Gingrich....82 times
Santorum..76 times
Ron Paul....1 time

...because politics has degenerated into "American Idol". Too many people have been fooled into thinking that "Reality shows" are accurate reflections of reality.

Having been fooled into believing that what is artificial is real, they are now more easily manipulated. It's about the media shaping and sculpting who the candidate is.

That has trickled down into people's opinions. For some reason, a single disagreement on one political issue is enough for someone to completely reject Ron Paul. Even when the candidate that they embrace has a longer list of issues where there is disagreement.

X
01-21-12, 04:28 PM
For some reason, a single disagreement on one political issue is enough for someone to completely reject Ron Paul. Even when the candidate that they embrace has a longer list of issues where there is disagreement.A disagreement on a tax rate can cost you some money. A disagreement on a radical Islamic country getting an atomic weapon can cost you your life.

JasonF
01-21-12, 05:15 PM
Ron Paul has views that are decidedly out of the mainstream. Why is anybody surprised that the mainstream isn't embracing him?

brayzie
01-21-12, 05:19 PM
I thought it was about the media not giving him as much of an outlet as the others?

eXcentris
01-21-12, 06:11 PM
Long but worth a read:

http://www.salon.com/2011/12/31/progressives_and_the_ron_paul_fallacies/

JasonF
01-21-12, 07:16 PM
Polls in South Carolina have closed and it looks like the networks are starting to call it for Newt. Which means that after three states, three different candidates have won. The good news for Mitt Romney -- the last time that happened, the candidate who won New Hampshire wound up winning the nomination. The bad news for Mitt Romney: that candidate was Michael Dukakis.

shadowhawk2020
01-21-12, 07:20 PM
Romney needs to stop focusing on Obama and start focusing on Newt.

Th0r S1mpson
01-21-12, 07:28 PM
Ron Paul's turn... though that won't be Florida.

Jason
01-21-12, 07:44 PM
Polls in South Carolina have closed and it looks like the networks are starting to call it for Newt. Which means that after three states, three different candidates have won. The good news for Mitt Romney -- the last time that happened, the candidate who won New Hampshire wound up winning the nomination. The bad news for Mitt Romney: that candidate was Michael Dukakis.

CNN is showing 1% of the vote counted with Romney ahead by five percent, and they're calling it for newt.

TheBigDave
01-21-12, 07:48 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words:

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/3058/romney.jpg

mosquitobite
01-21-12, 07:50 PM
Ron Paul has views that are decidedly out of the mainstream. Why is anybody surprised that the mainstream isn't embracing him?

mhmm

Long but worth a read:

http://www.salon.com/2011/12/31/progressives_and_the_ron_paul_fallacies/
From Salon no less!
Yes, I’m willing to continue to have Muslim children slaughtered by covert drones and cluster bombs, and America’s minorities imprisoned by the hundreds of thousands for no good reason, and the CIA able to run rampant with no checks or transparency, and privacy eroded further by the unchecked Surveillance State, and American citizens targeted by the President for assassination with no due process, and whistleblowers threatened with life imprisonment for “espionage,” and the Fed able to dole out trillions to bankers in secret, and a substantially higher risk of war with Iran (fought by the U.S. or by Israel with U.S. support) in exchange for less severe cuts to Social Security, Medicare and other entitlement programs, the preservation of the Education and Energy Departments, more stringent environmental regulations, broader health care coverage, defense of reproductive rights for women, stronger enforcement of civil rights for America’s minorities, a President with no associations with racist views in a newsletter, and a more progressive Supreme Court.

Without my adopting it, that is at least an honest, candid, and rational way to defend one’s choice. It is the classic lesser-of-two-evils rationale, the key being that it explicitly recognizes that both sides are “evil”: meaning it is not a Good v. Evil contest but a More Evil v. Less Evil contest. But that is not the discussion that takes place because few progressives want to acknowledge that the candidate they are supporting — again — is someone who will continue to do these evil things with their blessing. Instead, we hear only a dishonest one-sided argument that emphasizes Paul’s evils while ignoring Obama’s (progressives frequently ask: how can any progressive consider an anti-choice candidate but don’t ask themselves: how can any progressive support a child-killing, secrecy-obsessed, whistleblower-persecuting Drug Warrior?).

Exactly!

Th0r S1mpson
01-21-12, 07:55 PM
CNN is showing 1% of the vote counted with Romney ahead by five percent, and they're calling it for newt.

At one point MSNBC had Romney up by 15% and called it for Newt.

They are calling it based on exit polls, not official counted votes.

Jason
01-21-12, 07:58 PM
At one point MSNBC had Romney up by 15% and called it for Newt.

They are calling it based on exit polls, not official counted votes.

Looks like the dickhead is pulling ahead in the totals now.

TheMovieman
01-21-12, 08:01 PM
Well if he gets the nod, the Repubs have found somebody I won't vote for. I'd rather have Santorum than that blowhard. We'll see what happens in Florida.

RoboDad
01-21-12, 08:07 PM
Congratulations to the morons who voted for Gingrich. Now they just need to keep practicing the following phrase to repeat after next January: President Obama.

As a life-long Republican, I will never vote for Gingrich for president. If he ends up as the nominee, I will do whatever I can to help ensure that he is not elected. If necessary, I will even vote for Obama.

mosquitobite
01-21-12, 08:10 PM
Congratulations to the morons who voted for Gingrich. Now they just need to keep practicing the following phrase to repeat after next January: President Obama.

As a life-long Republican, I will never vote for Gingrich for president. If he ends up as the nominee, I will do whatever I can to help ensure that he is not elected. If necessary, I will even vote for Obama.

Same here.

mosquitobite
01-21-12, 08:20 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2w4bewn.jpg

MoviePage
01-21-12, 08:20 PM
Looks like the dickhead is pulling ahead in the totals now.

Need more clarification.

JasonF
01-21-12, 08:21 PM
From Salon no less!

It's Glenn Greenwald. Are you unfamiliar with him? He makes Ron Paul look like an interventionist who champions torture.

mosquitobite
01-21-12, 08:23 PM
It's Glenn Greenwald. Are you unfamiliar with him? He makes Ron Paul look like an interventionist who champions torture.

So, are you saying is that he's an anti-war democrat who actually MEANT it?

And that's supposed to make me question his ability to cut through the partisan bullshit?

In fact, his argument is exactly why I love that Obama has continued most of Bush's policies. Much harder for Democrats to claim the high ground ;)

Artman
01-21-12, 08:56 PM
Newt strikes back!!

Superboy
01-21-12, 09:17 PM
This is going to be the best election evar.

X
01-21-12, 09:22 PM
I know most of the people involved in this thread are Democrats, but is there a single Gingrich supporter here?

SuprVgeta
01-21-12, 09:34 PM
Same here.
My feelings exactly. South Carolina has lost their marbles. Even though I'm registered as an independent (who cares anyway), I'm a die hard Republican and will never EVER vote for Newt Gingrich. If he's the nominee I'm staying home on election day. I'm a Romney supporter, but would gladly support Santorum or Ron Paul.

JasonF
01-21-12, 09:40 PM
So, are you saying is that he's an anti-war democrat who actually MEANT it?

And that's supposed to make me question his ability to cut through the partisan bullshit?

I'm not looking to make you question anything. It's just that your "OMG, I can't believe Salon printed this" reaction suggested an unfamiliarity with Greenwald.

Brent L
01-21-12, 09:41 PM
I know most of the people involved in this thread are Democrats, but is there a single Gingrich supporter here?

I voted for Newt today. It was going to be for Santorum until his wishy washy answer on the SOPA/PIPA question at the last debate. I'm not thrilled by any of them, not even Newt, but what can ya do. I fully agree that Newt isn't the most upstanding guy, but I don't think all of that necessarily makes someone a bad president. I hated what Clinton did but he was pretty solid back in the day as a leader.

As for Mitt, I don't know, I just can't get completely behind him and wont unless he wins the nomination. He comes across to me as a Republican version of John Kerry, and that's not a positive to me.

The entire group this time around for Republicans is pretty weak.

JasonF
01-21-12, 09:42 PM
I know most of the people involved in this thread are Democrats

Citation needed

, but is there a single Gingrich supporter here?

DVDTalk is out of step with the GOP. I think we all already knew that.

TheMovieman
01-21-12, 09:52 PM
My feelings exactly. South Carolina has lost their marbles. Even though I'm registered as an independent (who cares anyway), I'm a die hard Republican and will never EVER vote for Newt Gingrich. If he's the nominee I'm staying home on election day. I'm a Romney supporter, but would gladly support Santorum or Ron Paul.

That's where I'm at as well. I might not skip out on voting if there are measures on the ballet (at which point I'll just skip the presidential part) but I'm a bit surprised Gingrich won by as wide of a margin as he did.

I'll be interested to see how far he'll get with his angry message and attack on the media especially if he gets the nod and has to appeal to Independents and moderate Democrats. IMO, his gimmick will get real old, real quick.

dork
01-21-12, 09:55 PM
DVDTalk is out of step with the GOP. I think we all already knew that.

No kidding. -eek-

the ballet

TheBigDave
01-21-12, 10:02 PM
...is there a single Gingrich supporter here?

He's not my ideal candidate. But I won't have any problem voting for Newt over Obama.

SuprVgeta
01-21-12, 10:06 PM
That's where I'm at as well. I might not skip out on voting if there are measures on the ballet (at which point I'll just skip the presidential part) but I'm a bit surprised Gingrich won by as wide of a margin as he did.

I'll be interested to see how far he'll get with his angry message and attack on the media especially if he gets the nod and has to appeal to Independents and moderate Democrats. IMO, his gimmick will get real old, real quick.

I cannot in good conscience reward somebody with the position of the MOST POWERFUL INDIVIDUAL in the world who is a serial adulterer scumbag. No matter how many times Gingrich says he is a "Reagan Conservative," it does not make it true. He is repeatedly caught on film over the years saying his favorite President of all-time is big government progressive FDR. He's positioning himself as "non-establishment" and "non Washington insider" and people are apparently buying it - at least in South Carolina. Newt is the definition of Washington insider / lobbyist a-hole.

Why did it take until the SECOND wife he cheated for him to "find God?" You would think he would have found him after he cheated on his first wife. The man is simply full of crap imho.

P.S. - I'm in Oregon too ;)

TheMovieman
01-21-12, 10:11 PM
No kidding. -eek-

Excuse me: BALLOT. Fuck's sake.

Glad to see somebody who never makes a mistake...

TheMovieman
01-21-12, 10:15 PM
I cannot in good conscience reward somebody with the position of the MOST POWERFUL INDIVIDUAL in the world who is a serial adulterer scumbag. No matter how many times Gingrich says he is a "Reagan Conservative," it does not make it true. He is repeatedly caught on film over the years saying his favorite President of all-time is big government progressive FDR. He's positioning himself as "non-establishment" and "non Washington insider" and people are apparently buying it - at least in South Carolina. Newt is the definition of Washington insider / lobbyist a-hole.

Why did it take until the SECOND wife he cheated for him to "find God?" You would think he would have found him after he cheated on his first wife. The man is simply full of crap imho.

P.S. - I'm in Oregon too ;)

The wool he's pulling over some conservative's eyes is astonishing. The biggest one of all is portraying himself as an outsider, incredible.

Nice to meet a fellow Oregonian (quite a few from what I gather on this forum).

X
01-21-12, 10:46 PM
Citation neededOther than being obvious, it's kind of like reading posts at shopping sites where people are really unhappy with what they bought but they don't want to admit they were wrong in purchasing the product in the first place. So they keep up with the alternatives but find fault with all of them as well.

mosquitobite
01-21-12, 10:59 PM

What's funny to me is his wikipedia page. He's not only been married three times, he's had three different religions as well! :lol:

PopcornTreeCt
01-21-12, 11:27 PM
I'm in Florida and a registered Republican. Me so excited!!!!

TheMovieman
01-21-12, 11:29 PM
I'm in Florida and a registered Republican. Me so excited!!!!

I've heard Romney's campaign has basically been set up there for the last month. Wondering how that's going to turn out (mainly for Santorum who I don't think has much money) especially since, again only heard, that it's expensive to advertise in Florida.

PopcornTreeCt
01-21-12, 11:36 PM
I've heard Romney's campaign has basically been set up there for the last month. Wondering how that's going to turn out (mainly for Santorum who I don't think has much money) especially since, again only heard, that it's expensive to advertise in Florida.

There's been a ton of Romney ads. I haven't seen anything for Gingrich or Santorum.

SuprVgeta
01-21-12, 11:50 PM
Good, hopefully Romney's organization gives him a good solid win in Florida.

Jaymole
01-22-12, 12:10 AM
I love this win as it will let the fun continue!!

Th0r S1mpson
01-22-12, 12:14 AM
Paul has more delegates than Santorum, and I still never see him mentioned as more than a footnote.

WCChiCubsFan
01-22-12, 12:14 AM
I know most of the people involved in this thread are Democrats, but is there a single Gingrich supporter here?I would say by far that most of the people in this thread are Republicans, just like the rest of this forum.

X
01-22-12, 12:23 AM
I would say by far that most of the people in this thread are Republicans, just like the rest of this forum.Ok, I added a poll and we can try to see what the statistics are. We probably should inspect the number of posts by party (as opposed to only one count per individual) as well.

CRM114
01-22-12, 12:34 AM
A disagreement on a tax rate can cost you some money. A disagreement on a radical Islamic country getting an atomic weapon can cost you your life.

Pakistan? They already have nuclear weapons.

Groucho
01-22-12, 12:37 AM
I voted "No" to the poll, because even though I am a Republican I have NOT posted in this thread.

X
01-22-12, 12:40 AM
I voted "No" to the poll, because even though I am a Republican I have NOT posted in this thread.NOT anymore!

CRM114
01-22-12, 12:44 AM
Maybe I need to donate to Gingrich for President tonight? Keep this Newtmentum going!!

classicman2
01-22-12, 12:52 AM
I wonder how many of our members (either Republican or Democrat) that are not happy with the position their party has taken over the past few years on the really important issues that confront the country today?

PopcornTreeCt
01-22-12, 12:57 AM
About the poll, does it matter what it says on your card or how you identify yourself?

JasonF
01-22-12, 01:02 AM
Nice poll, X, but we've got a ton of posters who are neither Democrats nor Republicans.

JasonF
01-22-12, 01:04 AM
Ok, I added a poll and we can try to see what the statistics are. We probably should inspect the number of posts by party (as opposed to only one count per individual) as well.

Count the statistics however you want -- I really don't give a fuck -- but your original statement was "most of the people involved in this thread are Democrats," not "most of the posts in this thread were made by Democrats."

classicman2
01-22-12, 01:07 AM
Nice poll, X, but we've got a ton of posters who are neither Democrats nor Republicans.

Are you included in that ton? ;)

JasonF
01-22-12, 01:35 AM
Are you included in that ton? ;)

No, I'm a Democrat and I'm not ashamed to admit it. :)

MoviePage
01-22-12, 06:20 AM

There also seem to be a lot of "I'm not a Republican, I just vote for them in every single election" posters on this forum too.

Navinabob
01-22-12, 06:40 AM
Honestly, I think there are likely only 4 or 5 regular posters here who are Dems. Most here seem to bounce between Republican and Libertarian.

classicman2
01-22-12, 08:55 AM
Honestly, I think there are likely only 4 or 5 regular posters here who are Dems. Most here seem to bounce between Republican and Libertarian.

I've voted in every national, state, & most local elections since 1960.

I have voted for one Republican & that was in the Texas governor's race many years ago. That's the only Republican I've ever voted for period.

I didn't vote for Gore in 2000 presidential race, because he violated his oath of office while serving as VP. I voted for a 3rd party candidate - I can't remember which one. I had to hold my nose when I voted for McGovern for president.

I think a bunch of folks say they are Libertarian, but don't really vote for the Libertarian candidates.

I'm a Democrat, but I certainly don't agree with the direction the party has taken for a number of years. Yes - my primary disagreement is in the energy area.

mcnabb
01-22-12, 09:29 AM
I love how the news media talks about a protracted primary will hurt the eventual nominee, and this happens every 4 years. Hillary/Obama went on til May or June in one of the longest primary seasons in recent memories, and Obama easily won the presidency.

Th0r S1mpson
01-22-12, 09:33 AM
I love how the news media talks about a protracted primary will hurt the eventual nominee, and this happens every 4 years. Hillary/Obama went on til May or June in one of the longest primary seasons in recent memories, and Obama easily won the presidency.

Normally, I think a long primary hurts. It takes a massively terrible President like Bush for it not to matter.

The Republicans are in luck!

movielib
01-22-12, 10:15 AM
No, I'm a Democrat and I'm not ashamed to admit it. :)
So you're the one. ;)

Michael T Hudson
01-22-12, 11:22 AM
I'm curious to see who Jeb will come out and endorse.

OldDude
01-22-12, 11:36 AM
Normally, I think a long primary hurts. It takes a massively terrible President like Bush for it not to matter.

The Republicans are in luck!

Bush was term limited and not a candidate. However, what's-his-name wasn't the strongest candidate.

PopcornTreeCt
01-22-12, 12:08 PM
There also seem to be a lot of "I'm not a Republican, I just vote for them in every single election" posters on this forum too.

I've gotten that impression. Judging by content of posts, I always thought CRM114 was only the democrat on this forum.

X
01-22-12, 12:54 PM
Nice poll, X, but we've got a ton of posters who are neither Democrats nor Republicans.Yes, I should have done a better job with that poll, but since people have voted it's too late to fix it.

But a view of the posters in this thread and their number of posts might serve the purpose as well. However my primary question was "is there a single Gingrich supporter here?"

<table class="tborder" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" border="0" width="10%"><tr> <td class="tcat" colspan="2"> Who Posted? <div class="smallfont">Total Posts: 1,178</div> </td></tr><tr> <td class="thead" width="100%">User Name</td> <td class="thead">Posts</td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/crm114.html" target="_blank">CRM114</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=37496&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=37496&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">165</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/jasonf.html" target="_blank">JasonF</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=37651&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=37651&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">73</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/thor-simpson.html" target="_blank">Thor Simpson</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=18226&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=18226&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">66</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/superboy.html" target="_blank">Superboy</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=34327&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=34327&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">53</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/kvrdave.html" target="_blank">kvrdave</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=19611&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=19611&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">52</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/classicman2.html" target="_blank">classicman2</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=34469&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=34469&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">52</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/dr-mabuse.html" target="_blank">Dr Mabuse</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=78903&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=78903&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">42</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/mosquitobite.html" target="_blank">mosquitobite</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=59595&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=59595&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">41</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/navinabob.html" target="_blank">Navinabob</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=91034&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=91034&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">40</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/royaltea.html" target="_blank">RoyalTea</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=32230&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=32230&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">36</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/venusian.html" target="_blank">Venusian</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=21776&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=21776&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">33</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/wendersfan.html" target="_blank">wendersfan</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=44051&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=44051&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">32</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/jason.html" target="_blank">Jason</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=19896&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=19896&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">29</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/tracer-bullet.html" target="_blank">Tracer Bullet</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=52066&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=52066&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">27</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/x.html" target="_blank">X</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=31289&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=31289&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">26</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/sean-o-hara.html" target="_blank">Sean O'Hara</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=67222&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=67222&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">24</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/dork.html" target="_blank">dork</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=37786&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=37786&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">23</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/pharoh.html" target="_blank">Pharoh</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=27251&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=27251&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">20</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/orangecrush.html" target="_blank">orangecrush</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=45892&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=45892&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">19</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/popcorntreect.html" target="_blank">PopcornTreeCt</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=54640&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=54640&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">18</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/movielib.html" target="_blank">movielib</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=29401&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=29401&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">16</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/groucho.html" target="_blank">Groucho</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=25140&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=25140&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">15</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/clappj.html" target="_blank">clappj</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=26523&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=26523&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">15</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/josh-da-man.html" target="_blank">Josh-da-man</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=30373&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=30373&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">14</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/sracer.html" target="_blank">sracer</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=24123&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=24123&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">14</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/artman.html" target="_blank">Artman</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=52520&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=52520&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">13</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/deputydave.html" target="_blank">DeputyDave</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=43231&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=43231&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">13</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/themovieman.html" target="_blank">TheMovieman</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=68621&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=68621&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">12</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/suprvgeta.html" target="_blank">SuprVgeta</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=44159&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=44159&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">12</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/wishbone.html" target="_blank">wishbone</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=62411&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=62411&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">12</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/crazyronin.html" target="_blank">crazyronin</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=64822&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=64822&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">10</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/moviepage.html" target="_blank">MoviePage</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=44443&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=44443&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">9</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/arminius.html" target="_blank">arminius</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=83156&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=83156&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">9</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/penguinjoe.html" target="_blank">PenguinJoe</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=100206&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=100206&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">9</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/thebigdave.html" target="_blank">TheBigDave</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=38475&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=38475&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">8</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/wmansir.html" target="_blank">wmansir</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=49733&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=49733&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">8</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/jaymole.html" target="_blank">Jaymole</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=28782&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=28782&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">7</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/daveyjoe.html" target="_blank">DaveyJoe</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=93211&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=93211&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">6</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/slop101.html" target="_blank">slop101</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=35294&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=35294&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">6</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/brayzie.html" target="_blank">brayzie</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=95031&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=95031&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">5</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/shadowhawk2020.html" target="_blank">shadowhawk2020</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=30188&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=30188&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">4</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/ky-fi.html" target="_blank">Ky-Fi</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=32448&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=32448&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">4</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/rw2516.html" target="_blank">rw2516</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=62806&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=62806&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">4</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/statcat.html" target="_blank">statcat</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=92614&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=92614&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">4</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/mcnabb.html" target="_blank">mcnabb</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=88044&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=88044&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">3</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/chowderhead.html" target="_blank">chowderhead</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=24502&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=24502&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">3</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/wcchicubsfan.html" target="_blank">WCChiCubsFan</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=36769&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=36769&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">3</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/mammal.html" target="_blank">Mammal</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=40129&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=40129&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">3</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/deadman31.html" target="_blank">Deadman31</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=32436&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=32436&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">3</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/olddude.html" target="_blank">OldDude</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=38010&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=38010&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">3</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/bigdaddy.html" target="_blank">BigDaddy</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=22136&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=22136&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">3</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/cpgator.html" target="_blank">cpgator</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=27262&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=27262&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">3</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/howie2000.html" target="_blank">Howie2000</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=94861&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=94861&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">2</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/aktick.html" target="_blank">aktick</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=47072&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=47072&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">2</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/mr-briggs.html" target="_blank">Mr.Briggs</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=48377&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=48377&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">2</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/bandoman.html" target="_blank">Bandoman</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=31207&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=31207&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">2</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/excentris.html" target="_blank">eXcentris</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=22958&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=22958&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">2</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/shannon-nutt.html" target="_blank">Shannon Nutt</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=50796&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=50796&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">2</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/georgec.html" target="_blank">georgec</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=99448&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=99448&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">2</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/spainlinx0.html" target="_blank">spainlinx0</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=33059&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=33059&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">2</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/starman9000.html" target="_blank">starman9000</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=54905&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=54905&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">2</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/captainmarvel.html" target="_blank">CaptainMarvel</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=31217&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=31217&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">2</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/djlinus.html" target="_blank">DJLinus</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=26943&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=26943&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">2</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/bearfan.html" target="_blank">BearFan</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=17408&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=17408&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">2</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/inri222.html" target="_blank">inri222</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=36661&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=36661&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">2</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/kuroiinu.html" target="_blank">kuroiinu</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=22884&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=22884&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">2</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/jumpcutz.html" target="_blank">JumpCutz</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=58167&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=58167&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">2</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/joeblow69.html" target="_blank">joeblow69</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=22553&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=22553&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/meglos.html" target="_blank">Meglos</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=53399&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=53399&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/grundle.html" target="_blank">grundle</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=64111&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=64111&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/robodad.html" target="_blank">RoboDad</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=19668&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=19668&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/general-zod.html" target="_blank">General Zod</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=39063&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=39063&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/bkenn01.html" target="_blank">BKenn01</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=64068&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=64068&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/lunatikk.html" target="_blank">Lunatikk</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=64233&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=64233&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/dave99.html" target="_blank">Dave99</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=22890&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=22890&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/maxfisher.html" target="_blank">maxfisher</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=37129&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=37129&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/draven.html" target="_blank">Draven</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=24646&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=24646&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/auto.html" target="_blank">auto</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=36008&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=36008&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/ghostbuster.html" target="_blank">Ghostbuster</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=89188&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=89188&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/dvdjunkie32.html" target="_blank">dvdjunkie32</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=66473&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=66473&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/dvd-polizei.html" target="_blank">DVD Polizei</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=41531&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=41531&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/nausicaa.html" target="_blank">Nausicaa</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=44227&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=44227&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/supermallet.html" target="_blank">Supermallet</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=27760&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=27760&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/jth182.html" target="_blank">JTH182</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=21360&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=21360&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/majorjoe23.html" target="_blank">majorjoe23</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=43330&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=43330&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/crazychris88.html" target="_blank">crazychris88</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=104124&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=104124&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/emanon.html" target="_blank">emanon</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=22527&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=22527&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/nesbit.html" target="_blank">Nesbit</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=40486&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=40486&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/cungar.html" target="_blank">cungar</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=39805&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=39805&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt2"> <a href="members/lurkerdan.html" target="_blank">LurkerDan</a> </td> <td class="alt2"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=23379&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=23379&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr><tr> <td class="alt1"> <a href="members/brent-l.html" target="_blank">Brent L</a> </td> <td class="alt1"><a rel="nofollow" href="search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=50604&amp;searchthreadid=597130" onclick="opener.location=('search.php?do=finduser&amp;userid=50604&amp;searchthreadid=597130'); self.close();">1</a></td></tr></table>

wishbone
01-22-12, 01:02 PM
CRM114 doesn't care about Republicans.

JasonF
01-22-12, 01:11 PM
I question what the whole point of this exercise is anyway. I'd like President Obama to get a second term. Does that mean I'm not allowed to take an interest in who will be his opponent, or to find the nomination process interesting in and of itself?

OldDude
01-22-12, 01:19 PM

I'm a Republican but Newt is a lizard. If he gets the nomination, it would be a real test of my previous assertion that I'd vote for Satan over Obama.

I'm not real happy with any of the pack, but I guess I prefer Romney.

As former Minority Whip and Speaker of the House and time as a lobbyist he is even less truthful about his "outsider status" than about marriage and fidelity. Oh, and don't forget the ethics violations that led to his resignation. Somehow, that record doesn't jibe with his Moral Majority speechifying.

X
01-22-12, 01:36 PM
I question what the whole point of this exercise is anyway. I'd like President Obama to get a second term. Does that mean I'm not allowed to take an interest in who will be his opponent, or to find the nomination process interesting in and of itself?Not at all. I really was asking if anyone liked Gingrich, although in this environment many people wouldn't like Jesus if he had a "R" next to his name.

Nick Danger
01-22-12, 01:40 PM
I saw a comment someplace that I liked. The split between Romney and Gingrich/Santorum reflects the split in the Republican party between those who believe business and economics are most important, and those who believe that moral values are most important. So they predicted that the fight will continue to the convention.

It kind of makes me respect Reagan and GWB, who managed to get both groups to support them. And I despise GWB.

I do have to say that it amuses me that the evangelical right in SC, when faced with the choice between a faithful Mormon, a rigidly moral Catholic, and a Protestant whose life is a history of lies and adultery, chose the Protestant. But that's their business. I'm not a Republican (and I'm posting in this thread).

CaptainMarvel
01-22-12, 01:58 PM

I'd probably vote Democrat if they'd give up their stance on gun control. I tend to fall on their side on most social issues, and more and more fiscal issues. But gun rights are a litmus to me, so as long as gun control is a goal of the left, I'll never vote for a Democrat in a national election.

Right now, we've had two thin Supreme Court cases establishing gun ownership as an individual right, and almost no cases defining the limits of that right. The makeup of the Supreme Court is going to be massively important in shaping and defining gun ownership, so I just can't afford to let a Democrat president into office.

OldDude
01-22-12, 02:02 PM
I saw a comment someplace that I liked. The split between Romney and Gingrich/Santorum reflects the split in the Republican party between those who believe business and economics are most important, and those who believe that moral values are most important. So they predicted that the fight will continue to the convention.

It kind of makes me respect Reagan and GWB, who managed to get both groups to support them. And I despise GWB.

I do have to say that it amuses me that the evangelical right in SC, when faced with the choice between a faithful Mormon, a rigidly moral Catholic, and a Protestant whose life is a history of lies and adultery, chose the Protestant. But that's their business. I'm not a Republican (and I'm posting in this thread).

If the Wikipedia page is to be believed, Newt is currently a Catholic (in spite of two divorces!). When you "sign up," are all past problems erased? Hypocrites chosing a hypocrite, not that surprising. You don't need to walk the talk, just talk the talk.

Th0r S1mpson
01-22-12, 02:10 PM
Does that mean I'm not allowed to take an interest in who will be his opponent, or to find the nomination process interesting in and of itself?

I think that would be better. I don't recall making a single comment about Obama (particularly if he were a secret Muslim) during the primaries or taking any interest in whether Hillary pulled off a win through viral videos of people singing wonderful Hillary support songs, etc etc. I did bump my head recently, so if I made said comments I apologize. But knock it off.

JasonF
01-22-12, 03:34 PM
Although Gingrich was a Protestant for most of his life, he converted to Catholicism about 5-10 years ago.

JasonF
01-22-12, 03:36 PM
in this environment many people wouldn't like Jesus if he had a "R" next to his name.

I agree. In this environment, anybody who took the economic positions that Jesus did would be tarred and feathered as a RINO. Or is that not what you meant? ;)

JasonF
01-22-12, 03:40 PM
I think that would be better. I don't recall making a single comment about Obama (particularly if he were a secret Muslim) during the primaries or taking any interest in whether Hillary pulled off a win through viral videos of people singing wonderful Hillary support songs, etc etc. I did bump my head recently, so if I made said comments I apologize. But knock it off.

Please go get your head checked out!

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/search.php?searchid=3844847

Th0r S1mpson
01-22-12, 03:51 PM
I was joking. :blush:

SuprVgeta
01-22-12, 03:57 PM
You've been listening to DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman-Schultz a little bit too much. That is one out of touch woman.

JasonF
01-22-12, 04:11 PM
I was joking. :blush:

Whew! I was afraid you had a concussion!

shadowhawk2020
01-22-12, 04:47 PM

It is strange to me that Gingrich is on the moral/family values side in that argument.

kvrdave
01-22-12, 04:49 PM
I question what the whole point of this exercise is anyway. I'd like President Obama to get a second term. Does that mean I'm not allowed to take an interest in who will be his opponent, or to find the nomination process interesting in and of itself?

It means you think the biggest peanut in the turd should stick around....so much that you have taken an unhealthy interest in all the other peanuts.

Superboy
01-22-12, 09:10 PM
It means you think the biggest peanut in the turd should stick around....so much that you have taken an unhealthy interest in all the other peanuts.

Are you sure it wasn't corn?

Th0r S1mpson
01-22-12, 11:19 PM
Are you sure it wasn't corn?

Heavily subsidized turds?

classicman2
01-23-12, 08:52 AM
"I despise GWB but love Reagan!" :lol:

Can someone tell me the difference between the two - politically?

Pharoh
01-23-12, 09:16 AM
Just chiming in to say how wrong I was on South Carolina. To put it nicely, I read the voters of that state incorrectly. Of course the tax issue and David Gregory didn't help. But I will in the future heed my own advice and discount the predictive aspect of social sciences; too many swans.

I still can't see Gingrich winning another state that matters, but who knows.

majorjoe23
01-23-12, 09:22 AM
I'm a Republican but Newt is a lizard.

Newts are actually amphibians. That makes them much slimier than lizards.

CRM114
01-23-12, 09:23 AM
Just chiming in to say how wrong I was on South Carolina. To put it nicely, I read the voters of that state incorrectly. Of course the tax issue and David Gregory didn't help. But I will in the future heed my own advice and discount the predictive aspect of social sciences; too many swans.

I read this morning that Gingrich has a 9-point lead in FL. Get ready to fall in line behind your warrior candidate! :lol:

classicman2
01-23-12, 09:30 AM

I can't see Gingrich winning another state either, but like you, I misread the primary voters of SC. I'm going to make one more (at least) prediction - Romney will win Florida. ;) If he doesn't, I give up.

JasonF
01-23-12, 09:42 AM

I think Florida matters given its place on the calendar, and while a lot can happen over the next 8 days, right now it looks like Rep. Gingrich is the likely winner there. From there, we move to three states -- Nevada, Colorado, and Arizona -- where I think Governor Romney is well-positioned to win. But I think even if he sweeps those states, if Rep. Gingrich has wins in South Carolina and Florida, he has enough momentum to power through to Super Tuesday, and if Gov. Romney loses one (or more) of those contests to Rep. Gingrich, then Rep. Gingrich becomes the presumptive nominee and Gov. Romney is really playing from behind.

But I do appreciate you're acknowledgment that you were mistaken -- not enough of us are willing to admit when we do that, myself included.

CRM114
01-23-12, 10:09 AM
It is pretty ridiculous that, besides NH which doesn't count :), only Michigan represents the Northeast/Rust Belt before Super Tuesday. So Gingrich could actually sew up the nutty vote and lock into the nomination before even getting to a populated, non-southern/western state.

NY, PA, CT don't vote until Apr 24. NJ and CA doesn't vote until June 5.

Th0r S1mpson
01-23-12, 10:18 AM
Romney is done for. His only perceived benefit by many was his "electability," handed to him on behalf of campaigning since the day he lost the last time. Meaning he has scored well in polls simply because people expected him to continue to poll well, and thus be electable. Once there was even a minor dent in that armor, people started to realize they didn't really like Romney and his obvious willingness to say whatever he needed to, they just wanted someone who could win. As soon as someone else has a chance, there is no good reason to stay with him. Bye, Mitt.

classicman2
01-23-12, 10:18 AM
I think Florida matters given its place on the calendar, and while a lot can happen over the next 8 days, right now it looks like Rep. Gingrich is the likely winner there. From there, we move to three states -- Nevada, Colorado, and Arizona -- where I think Governor Romney is well-positioned to win. But I think even if he sweeps those states, if Rep. Gingrich has wins in South Carolina and Florida, he has enough momentum to power through to Super Tuesday, and if Gov. Romney loses one (or more) of those contests to Rep. Gingrich, then Rep. Gingrich becomes the presumptive nominee and Gov. Romney is really playing from behind.

But I do appreciate you're acknowledgment that you were mistaken -- not enough of us are willing to admit when we do that, myself included.

Do you think a brokered convention selected GOP nominee would be of benefit to the Repubs in the general election?

In a way - I think it might. In a way - I think it might not. But if the economy improves it doesn't make any difference, does it? ;)

Tracer Bullet
01-23-12, 10:23 AM
So if Gingrich is the nominee (seriously. Gingrich?) will this be remembered as the moment when the GOP completely imploded?

Th0r S1mpson
01-23-12, 10:28 AM
So if Gingrich is the nominee (seriously. Gingrich?) will this be remembered as the moment when the GOP completely imploded?

More like the moment when liberal heads completely exploded.

Things are looking much better now than a few years ago.

Nick Danger
01-23-12, 10:46 AM
"I despise GWB but love Reagan!" :lol:

Can someone tell me the difference between the two - politically?

Can you show me where I said that?

Tracer Bullet
01-23-12, 10:48 AM

Based on what metrics?

classicman2
01-23-12, 10:49 AM
I didn't say you said it.

orangecrush
01-23-12, 10:53 AM
I question what the whole point of this exercise is anyway. I'd like President Obama to get a second term. Does that mean I'm not allowed to take an interest in who will be his opponent, or to find the nomination process interesting in and of itself?You are OK. It's the other riff raff we want to keep out ;)

As to the poll, I am a registered Republican, but haven't voted for a Republican in a national election ever. Come to think of it, I really need to change my registration to Independent, so I don't get forced to help with one of the primaries :yack:

Pharoh
01-23-12, 10:54 AM

Close enough.

CRM114
01-23-12, 10:56 AM
As someone said earlier, the forum is most highly populated by non-Republicans who always vote Republican. :lol:

Sean O'Hara
01-23-12, 10:57 AM
H. R. 4170: The Drug Importer Death Penalty Act of 1996, introduced by Mr. Gingrich on 25 September, 1996 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c104:H.R.4170:)

Really, South Carolina, did you vote for this guy because there weren't any Nazis on the ticket?

Pharoh
01-23-12, 11:01 AM

I almost always get your posts. This time I don't know if you are being serious.

Tracer Bullet
01-23-12, 11:03 AM
Close enough.

What do you see happening to the GOP in a scenario where Gingrich is the nominee and loses badly? The party has been flailing around for a few years now--do the adults take control again, does the primary system get overhauled, or what?

I guess my real question is what do serious Republicans do?

I mean, Gingrich. Gingrich. I can't even begin to fathom it.

CRM114
01-23-12, 11:08 AM
Serious Republicans vote for Obama.

sracer
01-23-12, 11:10 AM
What do you see happening to the GOP in a scenario where Gingrich is the nominee and loses badly? The party has been flailing around for a few years now--do the adults take control again, does the primary system get overhauled, or what?

That assumes that there are any serious Republicans left. I contend that there aren't any. (edit: or enough to make a difference)

Tracer Bullet
01-23-12, 11:12 AM
That assumes that there are any serious Republicans left. I contend that there aren't any.

They didn't magically disappear just because their chosen party has gone sort of insane.

classicman2
01-23-12, 11:13 AM
What physical, psychological, philosophical, etc. trait constitutes a serious Republican?

Perhaps some one can tell me which Republican - present or past who was a Republican?

sracer
01-23-12, 11:18 AM
They didn't magically disappear just because their chosen party has gone sort of insane.
Come on. Look at the field of candidates. Your comment makes it seem like "the party" is a separate entity from those who call themselves and vote Republican. Either the primaries and caucuses are rigged or actual Republicans are casting their votes for these yahoos.

Tracer Bullet
01-23-12, 11:26 AM
Come on. Look at the field of candidates. Your comment makes it seem like "the party" is a separate entity from those who call themselves and vote Republican. Either the primaries and caucuses are rigged or actual Republicans are casting their votes for these yahoos.

Well, perhaps I should be more specific. The people that called themselves Republicans before the religious right and Tea Party took it over--where did they go?

Groucho
01-23-12, 11:29 AM
Let's not get too excited. Gingrich was riding the wave of one debate answer.

wendersfan
01-23-12, 11:32 AM
Didn't have much time to work on this this a.m., but here's a 'quick and dirty' graph of what's happening in Florida:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/members/wendersfan-albums-graphs-n-stuff-picture888-fl1.png

Th0r S1mpson
01-23-12, 11:37 AM
A big factor in Florida is the number of people who voted prior to Romney's collapse. In the current climate, mail-in should really be replaced with text-in, with a do-over option you can only use 3 times.

Jaymole
01-23-12, 11:43 AM
I still think Romney will win the nomination...saner heads will prevail.

Th0r S1mpson
01-23-12, 11:49 AM
My son @SenRandPaul being detained by TSA for refusing full body pat-down after anomaly in body scanner in Nashville. More details coming.
The fate of the ring is in Jeopardy. -eek-

wendersfan
01-23-12, 11:49 AM
That assumes that there are any serious Republicans left. I contend that there aren't any. (edit: or enough to make a difference)

I read stuff like this:

“There are a lot of folks who believe that we are really in the end times,” he told me, “and the election of Obama was a signal that the end times were here.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/magazine/tea-party-south-carolina.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

and I wonder. Just wonder, that's all.

classicman2
01-23-12, 11:55 AM
When the Seventh Trump 'sounds', I will believe the end times is near! :)

Th0r S1mpson
01-23-12, 11:59 AM
Weren't there 6 Trumps before Donald?

Pharoh
01-23-12, 12:02 PM
I read stuff like this:

“There are a lot of folks who believe that we are really in the end times,” he told me, “and the election of Obama was a signal that the end times were here.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/magazine/tea-party-south-carolina.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

and I wonder. Just wonder, that's all.

Of course your definitions of what/who is a serious republican may differ.

Pharoh
01-23-12, 12:05 PM

I could easily see a splintering of the party, but only for a short time. The tea party, in all of its social evangelical conservatism, has a small window. And because the "adults" will take control, they might try to break away. I think in fact they will.

classicman2
01-23-12, 12:12 PM
By adults - do you mean the, what used to be called, The Rockefeller Wing, of the Republican Party? ;

Pharoh
01-23-12, 12:18 PM
By adults - do you mean the, what used to be called, The Rockefeller Wing, of the Republican Party? ;

First, note that I put the word in quotes.

Secondly, no.

kvrdave
01-23-12, 12:23 PM
A big factor in Florida is the number of people who voted prior to Romney's collapse. In the current climate, mail-in should really be replaced with text-in, with a do-over option you can only use 3 times.

Haven't paid attention. What happened to Romney?

Th0r S1mpson
01-23-12, 12:35 PM

He combed his hair to the left, and when polls suggested that was less conservative looking, he combed it to the right.

wendersfan
01-23-12, 12:38 PM
Of course your definitions of what/who is a serious republican may differ.I would think a 'serious' Republican would be one who wants to win the White House and the Senate this year, with the understanding that any of the candidates would enact conservative programs and policies, certainly more conservative than the current president. In addition, a 'serious' Republican would consider the continued electoral viability of the party, nationally, over the next couple of decades, paying attention especially to demographic trends.

orangecrush
01-23-12, 12:39 PM
Haven't paid attention. What happened to Romney?Some people are starting to figure out that he is really rich.

starman9000
01-23-12, 12:47 PM
Some people are starting to figure out that he is really rich.

And a French-speaking son of a Mexican illegal. :eek:

Sean O'Hara
01-23-12, 12:47 PM

Newt won in South Carolina, therefore it is absolutely impossible for Romney to be the nominee because magic.

Superboy
01-23-12, 12:50 PM
I would think a 'serious' Republican would be one who wants to win the White House and the Senate this year, with the understanding that any of the candidates would enact conservative programs and policies, certainly more conservative than the current president. In addition, a 'serious' Republican would consider the continued electoral viability of the party, nationally, over the next couple of decades, paying attention especially to demographic trends.

:lol: rotfl :lol:

Oh, wait, you were serious.

Pharoh
01-23-12, 12:53 PM
I would think a 'serious' Republican would be one who wants to win the White House and the Senate this year, with the understanding that any of the candidates would enact conservative programs and policies, certainly more conservative than the current president. In addition, a 'serious' Republican would consider the continued electoral viability of the party, nationally, over the next couple of decades, paying attention especially to demographic trends.

So you mean we can't nominate candidates like Angle and O'Donnel, or suggest the erection of electrified fences on the border?

Damn!

Th0r S1mpson
01-23-12, 12:59 PM
So you mean we can't nominate candidates like Angle and O'Donnel, or suggest the erection of electrified fences on the border?

Damn!

If we promote electrified fence erections, that will just mean more anchor babies.

wendersfan
01-23-12, 01:23 PM
Yes, that is my completely uninformed and worthless opinion.

kvrdave
01-23-12, 01:53 PM
If we promote electrified fence erections, that will just mean more anchor babies.

They need to get rid of the idea that if you are born here, you are automatically a citizen. I'm not sure where that comes from.

kvrdave
01-23-12, 01:54 PM
Well, I know where it comes from, but it seems like a reach that has always been allowed.

Superboy
01-23-12, 02:01 PM
They need to get rid of the idea that if you are born here, you are automatically a citizen. I'm not sure where that comes from.

I can think of a lot of better ways to qualify people for citizenship, but that would probably automatically disqualify more than half of the people living here.

CRM114
01-23-12, 02:10 PM

What test are you willing to take?

classicman2
01-23-12, 02:33 PM
If I were a serious Republican, if I couldn't only wish for one (WH or Senate), I believe I would rather have the Senate.