DVD Talk
The Republican Field and Primary Thread (Part 3) [Archive] - Page 3 - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Republican Field and Primary Thread (Part 3)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

JasonF
01-04-12, 12:28 AM
Why shouldn't we be concerned? If we are going to have a Repub president, I'd rather it be a moderate like Romney than some religious zealot like Rick Santorum. I'd actually prefer Huntsman but there doesn't seem to be any sensible people in your party.

Romney is no moderate. He was a decade ago when he was governor of Massachusetts, but 2012 Romney would be just as toxic to the economy as any other Republican.

CRM114
01-04-12, 12:29 AM
Newt will stay in as long as possible just to spite Romney. Ron Paul will stay in until the end.

Sean O'Hara
01-04-12, 12:29 AM
Dear Rick,

You aren't Richard Dreyfuss. When you tell us about the first time you saw a dead body, it's not a touching coming of age story. It's just creepy.

movielib
01-04-12, 12:30 AM
Why shouldn't we be concerned? If we are going to have a Repub president, I'd rather it be a moderate like Romney than some religious zealot like Rick Santorum. I'd actually prefer Huntsman but there doesn't seem to be any sensible people in your party.
Huntsman is a Democrat in all but name. So certainly all Republicans should be sensible and support him.

CRM114
01-04-12, 12:30 AM
Romney is no moderate. He was a decade ago when he was governor of Massachusetts, but 2012 Romney would be just as toxic to the economy as any other Republican.

Sure but his sudden conservatism is an act. It's not like he can cut taxes any more.

CRM114
01-04-12, 12:31 AM
Huntsman is a Democrat in all but name. So certainly all Republicans should be sensible and support him.

That's absolutely not true. He's more conservative than Romney, that's for damn sure.

Sean O'Hara
01-04-12, 12:32 AM

So the 2012 Anti-Romney playbook is exactly the same as the 2008 Anti-McCain playbook?

JasonF
01-04-12, 12:34 AM
Huntsman is a Democrat in all but name.

That's simply insane. The guy is a doctrinaire Republican on economic issues (the most important issue facing the country this election cycle, IMO).

JasonF
01-04-12, 12:36 AM
So the 2012 Anti-Romney playbook is exactly the same as the 2008 Anti-McCain playbook?

:shrug: The 2012 Republican economic playbook is the same as the 2008 Republican economic playbook, only with more austerity (i.e. shred the safety net some more). So why not ...

movielib
01-04-12, 12:38 AM
That's absolutely not true. He's more conservative than Romney, that's for damn sure.
I don't know if he's more conservative than Romney overall but I know he's not really almost a Democrat. I was going for a reaction. And it's nice to know you like the "more conservative" Huntsman over the less conservative Romney. Perplexing though.

movielib
01-04-12, 12:40 AM
Insanetorum back in the lead by a whopping five votes. Go get 'em, Rick!

SuprVgeta
01-04-12, 12:51 AM
Romney's speech owned everybody else's. Especially Newt's whine fest about negative ads.

Sean O'Hara
01-04-12, 02:46 AM
Insanetorum back in the lead by a whopping five votes. Go get 'em, Rick!

But in the end Mitt wins by 8. Iowa not retarded by slim margin.

shadowhawk2020
01-04-12, 08:19 AM
The GOP and media hyped up Santorum this week to take votes away from Ron Paul and make sure he didn't win. The faux-momentum they created came out of nowhere because it was a farce, but it worked in convincing people to vote for him.

Santorum (in addition to virtually every GOP candidate) hasn't said one intelligent thing in all of the debates. He made Cain look a little less unqualified.

So either people are crazy enough to vote for Santorum.

Or.

They are such sheep they can be told who to vote for.

At this point I am not sure which is worse.

mosquitobite
01-04-12, 08:34 AM
So either people are crazy enough to vote for Santorum.

Or.

They are such sheep they can be told who to vote for.

At this point I am not sure which is worse.

:up: :lol:

Groucho
01-04-12, 08:39 AM
In a lot of ways, Romney is the ideal candidate for this election season with his "whatever you want me to be" persona. He can appeal to the right now and secure the nomination, then turn and appeal to the middle/disgruntled leftists.

CRM114
01-04-12, 09:07 AM
I don't know if he's more conservative than Romney overall but I know he's not really almost a Democrat. I was going for a reaction. And it's nice to know you like the "more conservative" Huntsman over the less conservative Romney. Perplexing though.

Why is it perplexing? Huntsman is a somewhat rational person. If Repubs would actually listen to him and not write him off simply because he accepted an appointment from Barack Obama they'd probably like him. If I'm going to deal with Republican economic policy, it'd be nice if the other stuff was handled by someone who thinks.

classicman2
01-04-12, 09:09 AM
But in the end Mitt wins by 8. Iowa not retarded by slim margin.

Iowa voters vote for a establishment conservative Republican for Senator; and, vote for for a liberal Democrat for Senator.

I don't know what that makes them.

wendersfan
01-04-12, 09:33 AM
Iowa voters vote for a establishment conservative Republican for Senator; and, vote for for a liberal Democrat for Senator.

I don't know what that makes them.I think it makes them voters. Ohio has a liberal Democrat as a Senator, elected during the anti-Republican wave during the election of 2006, and a conservative Republican as Senator, elected during the anti-Democrat wave during the election of 2010.

It's not like the exact same group of people, at the exact same time, made the decision to vote for one from Column A and one from Column B, just to hedge their bets or something.

classicman2
01-04-12, 10:01 AM
I think it makes them voters. Ohio has a liberal Democrat as a Senator, elected during the anti-Republican wave during the election of 2006, and a conservative Republican as Senator, elected during the anti-Democrat wave during the election of 2010.

It's not like the exact same group of people, at the exact same time, made the decision to vote for one from Column A and one from Column B, just to hedge their bets or something.

The two Iowa Senators have been in the Senate for a long time. The 'wave elections' don't seem to affect the voters in Iowa.

Reason: Both Iowa Senators look out for the economic interests of the Iowa citizens - agriculture for example. Harkin is Chairman of the Senate Agriculture Committee. He brings home the 'pork.' He's 'forgiven' for his liberal positions in other areas.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
01-04-12, 10:03 AM
Bachmann has called a 10AM press conference and has canceled events in South Carolina scheduled for today-Friday.

classicman2
01-04-12, 10:06 AM
Bachmann has called a 10AM press conference and has canceled events in South Carolina scheduled for today-Friday.

And Perry has gone home to Texas to ponder his next step which will be withdrawal for the race.

Another one will bite the dust after the NH primary.

CRM114
01-04-12, 10:10 AM
Perry was this year's Fred Thompson.

wendersfan
01-04-12, 10:24 AM
The two Iowa Senators have been in the Senate for a long time. The 'wave elections' don't seem to affect the voters in Iowa.

Reason: Both Iowa Senators look out for the economic interests of the Iowa citizens - agriculture for example. Harkin is Chairman of the Senate Agriculture Committee. He brings home the 'pork.' He's 'forgiven' for his liberal positions in other areas.
Once elected it's hard to unseat incumbents (unless the "wave" is very strong.)

Dr Mabuse
01-04-12, 10:37 AM
Once elected it's hard to seat incumbents (unless the "wave" is very strong.)

I assume you meant 'unseat'?

Th0r S1mpson
01-04-12, 11:19 AM
Bachmann is out. I don't put much stock in endorsements, but her endorsement could matter a little. She might endorse Santorum (seems to make sense for her) and help solidify him as the well-timed anti-Romney candidate. It seems unlikely that any of the remaining candidates would ever endorse Ron Paul.

McCain is going to endorse Romney.

Sean O'Hara
01-04-12, 11:28 AM
I'm betting Romney wins next week (New Hampshire not being a retarded state) and then Santorum self-destructs before South Carolina.

wendersfan
01-04-12, 11:46 AM
I assume you meant 'unseat'?
Yes, thanks. Edited.

classicman2
01-04-12, 12:34 PM
Perry decides to stay in the race. He's putting all of his eggs in South Carolina.

Dr Mabuse
01-04-12, 12:36 PM
Rick Fucking Perry?

Sean O'Hara
01-04-12, 12:58 PM
Rick Fucking Perry?

Rick Perry denies ever fucking anyone. Especially another man. Or large farm animals.

X
01-04-12, 01:13 PM
Perry decides to stay in the race. He's putting all of his eggs in South Carolina.I don't see why he would do otherwise. He's evidently well-funded and Texas isn't currently at war or anything.

Th0r S1mpson
01-04-12, 01:15 PM
I bet what's his face who dropped out after Bachmann smoked him in a straw poll is having regrets.

starman9000
01-04-12, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I'm sure T-Paw could have had a turn at the frontrunner of the week. I was surprised when he dropped, he must have really been out of cash.

CRM114
01-04-12, 02:10 PM
How in the world did Rick Fucking Perry get elected as Governor? What the heck is wrong with people in Texas? He makes Bush look like an intellectual.

wendersfan
01-04-12, 02:34 PM
How in the world did Rick Fucking Perry get elected as Governor? What the heck is wrong with people in Texas?Says the guy whose state was represented in the U.S. Senate by Rick "Frothy Mixture" Santorum for twelve years. ;)

:shrug:

wishbone
01-04-12, 02:41 PM
How in the world did Rick Fucking Perry get elected as Governor? What the heck is wrong with people in Texas? He makes Bush look like an intellectual.Apparently he didn't aspire to being a "C" student like Bush or Perry. :shrug:Says the guy whose state was represented in the U.S. Senate by Rick "Frothy Mixture" Santorum for twelve years. ;)

:shrug:The constituents of Bumfuck, PA are probably to blame... ;)

JasonF
01-04-12, 02:42 PM
Thank god nobody can say anything bad about any politician from my state!

slop101
01-04-12, 02:50 PM
At this point the only way Obama could lose is if Ron Paul goes 3rd party. He'd take away a few votes form the Right, but I think he'd take more away from the Left.

CRM114
01-04-12, 02:51 PM
Says the guy whose state was represented in the U.S. Senate by Rick "Frothy Mixture" Santorum for twelve years. ;)

:shrug:

But we wised up and kicked him to the curb in ignominious fashion.

CRM114
01-04-12, 02:53 PM
At this point the only way Obama could lose is if Ron Paul goes 3rd party. He'd take away a few votes form the Right, but I think he'd take more away from the Left.

Obama needs to figure out how to appeal to the young Paul voters.

slop101
01-04-12, 03:07 PM
Who am I kidding? The young don't vote! If he went 3rd party, he'd only hurt the Repubs.

classicman2
01-04-12, 03:14 PM
Thank god nobody can say anything bad about any politician from my state!

Absolutely not. Both Illinois & Texas have a history of clean politics in their individual states - no political corruption whatsoever - as pure as the driven snow. ;)

Tracer Bullet
01-04-12, 03:18 PM
Who am I kidding? The young don't vote! If he went 3rd party, he'd only hurt the Repubs.

I'm certainly not voting for president this year. Fuck it all. Although I doubt that I'm considered "young" anymore.

CRM114
01-04-12, 03:21 PM
That'll show 'em!

Tracer Bullet
01-04-12, 03:27 PM
That'll show 'em!

It's not about "showing 'em"--it's about--what's the point?

CRM114
01-04-12, 03:42 PM
I don't know. Iraq and DADT? :shrug: McCain certainly wouldn't have done those things. Sure, Obama is a rat bastard Corporatist but I'll take what I can get.

aktick
01-04-12, 03:54 PM
The constituents of Bumfuck, PA are probably to blame... ;)

Hey now, no reason to bring Penn State into this! :mad:

joeblow69
01-04-12, 04:04 PM
It's not about "showing 'em"--it's about--what's the point?
For me it's more about who gets to select the next supreme court justices. Those fossils stick around FOREVER. Would you rather have Obama or Santorum packing the Supreme Court, when the inevitable gay marriage case finally gets to there?

CRM114
01-04-12, 04:12 PM
Hey now, no reason to bring Penn State into this! :mad:

http://www.dickdestiny.com/pennsyltucky08.JPG

Centre County (where Penn State is) went for Obama in the last election. Red=Pennsyltucky.

mosquitobite
01-04-12, 04:16 PM
The media pushed Santorum up as a "surge" at the last minute so he wouldn't have time to be "googled". It worked.

This week: mark my words they'll be pushing Huntsman for NH.

Next: Perry for S. Carolina

Can anyone guess the reason, or we all going to play blind to the game?

aktick
01-04-12, 04:46 PM
Centre County (where Penn State is) went for Obama in the last election. Red=Pennsyltucky.

It was just a bad Penn State/Sandusky joke. ;)

Jason
01-04-12, 07:39 PM
Perry decides to stay in the race. He's putting all of his eggs in South Carolina.

His new ad might generate some momentum

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/Soberguy/gtfo2.jpg

Navinabob
01-04-12, 08:10 PM
His new ad might generate some momentum

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/Soberguy/gtfo2.jpg

Looks like I'm getting a little "R" by my name again... Sorry Obama.

CRM114
01-05-12, 09:25 AM
The media pushed Santorum up as a "surge" at the last minute so he wouldn't have time to be "googled". It worked.

To keep the reality show rolling?

inri222
01-05-12, 10:01 AM
http://img.izismile.com/img/img5/20120105/640/funny_picdump_103_640_24.jpg

JTH182
01-05-12, 04:28 PM
So what do you think he really meant to say?

<object width="416" height="374" classid="clsid:D<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=politics/2012/01/04/sot-santorum-blacks-welfare-remark.cnn" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=politics/2012/01/04/sot-santorum-blacks-welfare-remark.cnn" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="416" wmode="transparent" height="374"></embed></object>

That sound guy in the back was probably thinking "What'd that cracker just say?" :lol:

JasonF
01-05-12, 07:20 PM
Yesterday, Rick Santorum explained that black people should want jobs, not welfare. Today, it was Newt Gingrich. Which candidate will put his racist foot in his racist mouth tomorrow?

Although, to be fair to Santorum, he is claiming he didn't say "black," he said "blah."

mosquitobite
01-05-12, 07:25 PM
blaaaah people. :lol:

Jason
01-05-12, 07:28 PM
Although, to be fair to Santorum, he is claiming he didn't say "black," he said "blah."

And the people in the audience were saying boo-urns.

statcat
01-05-12, 08:10 PM
could you make it a little less obvious CNN?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P_AQnegSXMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dork
01-05-12, 08:19 PM
CNN just wants everybody to think that Ron Paul's base is weirdos who see conspiracies in everything. :(

Dr Mabuse
01-05-12, 08:35 PM
You guys don't seriously think that the information disseminated by the 'free and open' press, and pretty much every other outlet in our society, is controlled and manipulated by a relatively small group of powerful people who shape and dictate people's habits, opinions, tastes, and ideologies do you?

Sounds like some wacky conspiracy theory to me.

Howie2000
01-05-12, 08:42 PM
For me it's more about who gets to select the next supreme court justices. Those fossils stick around FOREVER. Would you rather have Obama or Santorum packing the Supreme Court, when the inevitable gay marriage case finally gets to there?

The only person remotely likely to retire btwn now and 2016 is Bader Ginsburg so if Obama replaced her with another Liberal the supreme court stays the same.

JasonF
01-05-12, 09:12 PM
The only person remotely likely to retire btwn now and 2016 is Bader Ginsburg so if Obama replaced her with another Liberal the supreme court stays the same.

Four of the Justices are in their 70s, and a fifth is at significant risk for heart disease or stroke because he's an overweight, 60-something black man. For that matter, Alito and Sotomayor also have weight issues that could affect their health. And any one of the 9 could get diagnosed with cancer or get hit by a bus or whatever. I hope all 9 of them live for many more years (in happy retirement, in the case of those whose judicial philosophy I disagree with), but nobody knows how long any of them will live, or decide to stay on the Court.

Navinabob
01-05-12, 10:14 PM
:lol:I just got this nugget from a MMA website:

--With his showing in Iowa, there has been a lot of talk about Rick Santorum's involvement with wrestling. Santorum worked for Kirkpatrick & Lockhart, the same law firm as Jerry McDevitt. He worked as a lobbyist for WWE in the 80s in the state of Pennsylvania.

mcnabb
01-06-12, 07:13 AM
Yesterday, Rick Santorum explained that black people should want jobs, not welfare. Today, it was Newt Gingrich. Which candidate will put his racist foot in his racist mouth tomorrow?

I actually like Santorum as I agree with him alot on economic issues, but this has to be the dumbest defense I have ever heard!

I listened to his statements and he did say 'black,' and by denying it will only prolong the story and it will probably now be bigger then what it was. I know when I talk during the day, I randomly say 'blah' alot :lol:

crazyronin
01-06-12, 08:01 AM
It's all over but the shouting. Huntsman has been endorsed by the bespectacled bow-tie bumkissers of Morrisey Boulevard.

Boston Globe endorses Huntsman. (http://articles.boston.com/2012-01-06/editorials/30592280_1_romney-and-jon-huntsman-gop-candidates-health-care-reform)

CRM114
01-06-12, 09:09 AM

Beyond the numbskull statement, do Repubs really believe Obama wants, as a goal, to increase dependency on welfare and food stamps? That is some demented thinking.

Groucho
01-06-12, 09:39 AM
Some of my best friends are blah people. :shrug:

Venusian
01-06-12, 09:54 AM
Beyond the numbskull statement, do Repubs really believe Obama wants, as a goal, to increase dependency on welfare and food stamps? That is some demented thinking.

I'm not a Republican but I don't think he does. Then again, i don't think the GOP want the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer.

CaptainMarvel
01-06-12, 11:33 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P_AQnegSXMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I was watching Headline News yesterday morning at the gym and they ran down the rankings. They hit every candidate and gave a blurb about each, EXCEPT 3/Paul. It was incredibly blatant.

MoviePage
01-06-12, 04:48 PM

:lol:

crazyronin
01-06-12, 04:58 PM

Well, you are in Utah.

DaveyJoe
01-06-12, 05:24 PM

What is so obvious about it? They introduce the guy as a Ron Paul supporter and then ask him about his choice, it's obvious he's going to say some nice things about the guy. Why would they bother to interview him if they're going to intentionally cut him off halfway through a soundbite?

I work at a news station and I can tell you we don't ever try to look incompetent on purpose. Live shots are very important and heads roll when there are mistakes, a professional news organization is not going to sabotage their own broadcast. The director could have easily killed the sound if he didn't like what the guy was saying but they lost the video as well. The most likely scenario is a loose cable in the photographer's equipment.

Navinabob
01-06-12, 05:50 PM
What is so obvious about it? They introduce the guy as a Ron Paul supporter and then ask him about his choice, it's obvious he's going to say some nice things about the guy. Why would they bother to interview him if they're going to intentionally cut him off halfway through a soundbite?

I work at a news station and I can tell you we don't ever try to look incompetent on purpose. Live shots are very important and heads roll when there are mistakes, a professional news organization is not going to sabotage their own broadcast. The director could have easily killed the sound if he didn't like what the guy was saying but they lost the video as well. The most likely scenario is a loose cable in the photographer's equipment.

Pffftt. You can keep your informed opinion and logic to yourself buddy! This here is a place for 3 things; conspiracies and grammar that is bad. Please note that while the headline states that it is a "three-way contest" they actually list six candidates! And why do they put Paul so close to Bachmann... what are they trying to say? Why do all the numbers only add up to 99? If they give that "hidden" 1% to Paul, he is suddenly in 2nd place. What we have here is a clear case of hating a guy just because it sounds like he has two first names.

Shannon Nutt
01-06-12, 06:27 PM

I think they prefer to be called 'effin Americans.

mosquitobite
01-06-12, 07:34 PM

I agree with you and I'm a huge RP supporter.

I actually think they cut the feed because a military guy in uniform is not supposed to get political. I think somebody behind the scenes was actually like "Guys?! What are you doing interviewing a service man in uniform?" and they cut it.

Th0r S1mpson
01-06-12, 07:40 PM

I actually think they cut the feed because a military guy in uniform is not supposed to get political. I think somebody behind the scenes was actually like "Guys?! What are you doing interviewing a service man in uniform?" and they cut it.

Um... yeah. If you want to believe that. More likely, Hillary hired someone to take out the cameraman so they could interrogate the interviewee and figure out what Ron Paul has to offer that he likes, for when she takes over the nomination this August after Obama receives a little "jellyfish sting" from an underwater operative that turns into a fatal infection.

JasonF
01-06-12, 08:31 PM
Presidential candidate and professional historian Newt Gingrich lays down some knowledge about the drug war:
<embed src='http://rawreplaymedia.com/fvp/fvp5.8/player.swf' height='375' width='615' allowscriptaccess='always' allowfullscreen='true' flashvars="&file=http%3A%2F%2Frawreplaymedia.com%2Fmedia%2F2011%2F1111%2Fcnn_live_gingrich_concord_120104a.mp4&image=http%3A%2F%2Frawreplaymedia.com%2Fmedia%2F2011%2F1111%2Fcnn_live_gingrich_concord_120104c.jpg&logo=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rawreplaymedia.com%2Ffvp%2Frsvidlogo05.png&plugins=viral-2h&skin=http%3A%2F%2Frawreplaymedia.com%2Ffvp%2Ffvp5.8%2Fbeelden.zip&viral.allowmenu=true&viral.email_footer=http%3A%2F%2Frawstory.com&viral.link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rawstory.com%2Frs%2F2012%2F01%2F04%2Fgingrich-founding-fathers-would-have-violent-reaction-to-pot-growers%2F&viral.oncomplete=false&viral.onpause=false&viral.pluginmode=FLASH&logo.link=http://rawstory.com&logo.file=http://www.rawreplaymedia.com/fvp/rsvidlogo05.png"/>
At 1:30, he explains what Washington and Jefferson would have done about marijuana. And if you're thinking "They probably wouldn't have supported making it illegal, what with the fact that they actually grew the stuff," that just shows why Newt is a professional historian and you're not.

mosquitobite
01-06-12, 09:35 PM
Given that most of us here are onto the games politicians play, I'll consider this a "Freudian" slip. ;)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/34phsb4e6Eg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

auto
01-06-12, 10:44 PM
Pffftt. You can keep your informed opinion and logic to yourself buddy! This here is a place for 3 things; conspiracies and grammar that is bad. Please note that while the headline states that it is a "three-way contest" they actually list six candidates! And why do they put Paul so close to Bachmann... what are they trying to say? Why do all the numbers only add up to 99? If they give that "hidden" 1% to Paul, he is suddenly in 2nd place. What we have here is a clear case of hating a guy just because it sounds like he has two first names.

rotfl

:lol:

Josh-da-man
01-07-12, 02:52 AM

If that's what happened, then they were doing it to protect military guy, and not themselves. He's the one who would get in trouble.

DaveyJoe
01-07-12, 03:09 AM

No, I don't agree with that concept either. If they have an issue with what somebody might say, they just don't interview them on live television. News is a team effort; the reporter and photographer are in direct communication with the director and producer of the show at least 10 minutes before they take any live shots. They do mic checks and confirm the procedure of the interview before they are ever taken live, they don't just turn a reporter loose and let them do whatever on live television. First and foremost to CNN is the integrity of their broadcasts, they will not intentionally ruin one of their live shots on purpose, under any circumstances. I'm astounded at how easily people will believe conspiracy theories when it comes to broadcast news, it's ridiculous.

:lol: Thanks for the laugh!

Jason
01-07-12, 11:23 AM
If that's what happened, then they were doing it to protect military guy, and not themselves. He's the one who would get in trouble.

Is this an actual regulation, or one of those unwritten rules? I'm pretty sure he couldn't speak at an official function in uniform, but is he allowed to speak his own mind in uniform?

Jason
01-07-12, 11:26 AM
At 1:30, he explains what Washington and Jefferson would have done about marijuana. And if you're thinking "They probably wouldn't have supported making it illegal, what with the fact that they actually grew the stuff," that just shows why Newt is a professional historian and you're not.

I thought Washington and Jefferson were growing hemp (yeah, I know, same basic thing) for industrial purposes (rope, paper, etc.) as opposed to getting baked.

Th0r S1mpson
01-07-12, 12:07 PM
I thought Washington and Jefferson were growing hemp (yeah, I know, same basic thing) for industrial purposes (rope, paper, etc.) as opposed to getting baked.

You can't picture them sitting around a campfire, giggling in their wigs, and hunting for a cheeseburger at 3am?

DaveyJoe
01-07-12, 12:14 PM
Is this an actual regulation, or one of those unwritten rules? I'm pretty sure he couldn't speak at an official function in uniform, but is he allowed to speak his own mind in uniform?

Either way, if that's a rule and they don't want a military man to get in trouble for talking politics, they wouldn't ask him to talk politics on live television, then cut him off half way through. It doesn't make any sense.

sracer
01-07-12, 02:57 PM
You can't picture them sitting around a campfire, giggling in their wigs, and hunting for a cheeseburger at 3am?
That would explain tonight's airing of "George and Thomas go to White Castle" on the History Channel.

Josh-da-man
01-07-12, 08:48 PM

Back in those days the people good and pure of heart and marijuana/hemp could be legal because the people wouldn't use it for illicit purposes.

Then Lincoln signed the emancipation proclamation and everything went downhill from there.

Artman
01-07-12, 09:00 PM
Fight night! I'm thinking this will probably be the last of the entertaining debates... we've still got Perry, and those who are running behind are going to have to be aggressive in attacking Mitt and Ron. And Newt's angry.

Jason
01-07-12, 09:15 PM
Back in those days the people good and pure of heart and marijuana/hemp could be legal because the people wouldn't use it for illicit purposes.

Then Lincoln signed the emancipation proclamation and everything went downhill from there.

Blah!

Artman
01-07-12, 11:04 PM
God I wish Paul was ten yrs younger... he had some of the best moments.

"please don't interrupt me." Lol, that was great putting the whiner in his place!

Deadman31
01-07-12, 11:32 PM
none of these shitheads are going to do anything to help this country. they just dont get it

Artman
01-07-12, 11:39 PM
they just dont get it

and what's that?

Deadman31
01-07-12, 11:42 PM
any of it. they dont know how to fix this country. they just dont care. I really dont understand why anyone would want to be president anymore.

And before the inevitable "how would you fix the country then smartass?" reply, no I do not know how to fix the country either.

mosquitobite
01-07-12, 11:55 PM
God I wish Paul was ten yrs younger... he had some of the best moments.

"please don't interrupt me." Lol, that was great putting the whiner in his place!

My favorite was "I was married and had 2 young kids and I WENT."

Freaking war mongers who never served in the military! (save Perry)

mosquitobite
01-07-12, 11:56 PM
any of it. they dont know how to fix this country. they just dont care. I really dont understand why anyone would want to be president anymore.

And before the inevitable "how would you fix the country then smartass?" reply, no I do not know how to fix the country either.

Because it's not a simple answer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPWH5TlbloU

Pharoh
01-08-12, 08:25 PM
The media won't, but is everybody else ready to call the race yet?

JasonF
01-08-12, 09:12 PM

:shrug: Let's see if anybody can pull more than 25% support first. I know you've been ready to hand the nomination to Governor Romney for some time now. The rest of the GOP has been desperately looking for an alternative. I think they've got at least until South Carolina and possibly until Florida to figure it out.

Understand, I think it is extremely likely that Governor Romney wins in the end. But it's not certain yet.

Besides, the 2008 race dragged on far beyond the point where Secretary Clinton had a path to victory. Sometimes, you just have to let these things play out.

Jason
01-08-12, 09:43 PM

I can safely say that newt and perry are done.

Pharoh
01-08-12, 10:20 PM
:shrug: Let's see if anybody can pull more than 25% support first. I know you've been ready to hand the nomination to Governor Romney for some time now. The rest of the GOP has been desperately looking for an alternative. I think they've got at least until South Carolina and possibly until Florida to figure it out.

Understand, I think it is extremely likely that Governor Romney wins in the end. But it's not certain yet.

Besides, the 2008 race dragged on far beyond the point where Secretary Clinton had a path to victory. Sometimes, you just have to let these things play out.

He obviously wins Tuesday, he is going to easily win in South Carolina, and is ahead in Florida. And the debates only further him from the field. What more needs to happen, short of it actually happening, which I understand.

I personally want it to end, because I am sick and tired of this nonsense, worry about the general public's perception of the GOP due to some of the clowns running, and really desire to see the incredibly bad reporting by the media come to a halt.

Josh-da-man
01-08-12, 10:23 PM

Romney is really all they have.

Santorum is a lightweight. Gingrich is a nut who melts down whenever he's in the spotlight. Ron Paul is never going to climb out of his niche. I don't think Huntsman is going to rally much, and he's probably poison to the base.

Perry could, possibly, stage a comeback and I'm sort of baffled why he isn't doing better with the republican base. On paper, he seems like the ideal candidate.

Dave99
01-08-12, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure of his actual intelligence level, but perry comes across most of the time as dumber than a box of rocks. So badly that even the evangelicals can see it.

classicman2
01-08-12, 10:45 PM
He obviously wins Tuesday, he is going to easily win in South Carolina, and is ahead in Florida. And the debates only further him from the field. What more needs to happen, short of it actually happening, which I understand.

I personally want it to end, because I am sick and tired of this nonsense, worry about the general public's perception of the GOP due to some of the clowns running, and really desire to see the incredibly bad reporting by the media come to a halt.

Hmm! I don't believe Romney is going to win easily in South Carolina.

I also don't believe the debates only further him from the field. He's getting the same percentage that he's gotten from the beginning. I expect him to do considerably better in NH.

It's obvious to me that many of the usual Republican primary voters are not satisfied with the field of candidates offered to them - and, that includes Romney.

I don't believe there will be a brokered GOP convention, but I would riule out the possibility that it will happen.

JasonF
01-08-12, 10:46 PM
worry about the general public's perception of the GOP due to some of the clowns running,

Yeah, I have some bad news for you: a significant chunk of your party is bug fuck insane. Sorry, but it's not a "perception" issue.

classicman2
01-08-12, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I have some bad news for you: a significant chunk of your party is bug fuck insane. Sorry, but it's not a "perception" issue.

What percentage of the Democratic Party do you believe to be insane? ;)

mosquitobite
01-08-12, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure of his actual intelligence level, but perry comes across most of the time as dumber than a box of rocks. So badly that even the evangelicals can see it.

:lol: so fricken true! Every time he opens his mouth I think "you were better off just standing there buddy!"

mosquitobite
01-08-12, 10:52 PM
Perry could, possibly, stage a comeback and I'm sort of baffled why he isn't doing better with the republican base. On paper, he seems like the ideal candidate.

Have you WATCHED any of the debates? Cuz if you have you'd understand why Perry is good on paper but not in results.

mosquitobite
01-08-12, 10:53 PM
Hmm! I don't believe Romney is going to win easily in South Carolina.

I also don't believe the debates only further him from the field. He's getting the same percentage that he's gotten from the beginning. I expect him to do considerably better in NH.

It's obvious to me that many of the usual Republican primary voters are not satisfied with the field of candidates offered to them - and, that includes Romney.

I don't believe there will be a brokered GOP convention, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it will happen.

:jawdrop: I agree with cman!

After McCain won the nomination, the GOP changed the rules to make it less for winner take all. It is MORE likely than ever for it to go to convention.

CRM114
01-09-12, 09:14 AM
My favorite was "I was married and had 2 young kids and I WENT."

Freaking war mongers who never served in the military! (save Perry)

Yeah, Ron Paul totally owned Newt in that moment.

CRM114
01-09-12, 09:19 AM
So much for the independent thinkers in New Hampshire. Those "conservatives" that know him best (disowning Reagan, creating RomneyCare, flip flopping on choice) are running in droves to vote for him. That's why NH is just a place to buy tax free alcohol on the way to Maine. ;)

Tracer Bullet
01-09-12, 09:47 AM

Isn't that perception fairly accurate, though? I would argue that the strength and commitment of a party is directly reflected in the candidates that come out to run for that party's nomination.

mosquitobite
01-09-12, 10:12 AM

And in typical fashion! Here comes the Huntsman surge!!

CRM114
01-09-12, 10:26 AM
In the debate, Huntsman said he was the only one who supported "the Ryan plan." You'd think that would get Repubs all lathered up. I guess accepting a diplomatic position from the dreaded Obama trumps any actual positions he may have.

Th0r S1mpson
01-09-12, 10:32 AM
He spoke Chinese. Can he be trusted? How do we know he didn't say "I am a Secret Chinese Muslim?" The media's unbiased translation?

wishbone
01-09-12, 10:37 AM
I figured he was a big fan of Firefly. :shrug:

CRM114
01-09-12, 10:43 AM
I knew the moment Huntsman spoke Chinese at the GOP debate, it was officially over. The Repubs don't want to hear no damn Yuro-pean or Commie talk.

Pharoh
01-09-12, 11:00 AM
I knew the moment Huntsman spoke Chinese at the GOP debate, it was officially over. The Repubs don't want to hear no damn Yuro-pean or Commie talk.

Yep, that must be it.

CRM114
01-09-12, 11:38 AM
What must be it? The "it" was taking a state department job for a Democrat. The above was merely a final nail.

CRM114
01-09-12, 01:48 PM
@newtgingrich Honored to be endorsed by Todd Palin. President Obama has failed. We need a Bold Reagan Conservative in the WH.

Navinabob
01-09-12, 03:41 PM
Well crap... Once Todd Palin gives his nod it is basically over. I expect Obama to concede his Presidency and add Newt to his family-talk plan in an attempt to curry favor with the new regime.

JasonF
01-09-12, 03:46 PM
Today's Mitt Romeny quote of the day:
I like being able to fire people

Now, you can argue that the quote is out of context. But let's keep in mind -- two months ago, Mitt Romney ran an ad featuring a soundbyte of Barack Obama saying "Senator McCain's campaign actually said, and I quote, if we keep talking about the economy, we're going to lose" and edited into "If we keep talking about the economy, we're going to lose." So I would argue that Governor Romney has forefeited all right to complain about context.

Mitt Romney scrambles after ‘fire’ comment
By Hillary Chabot
Monday, January 9, 2012 - Updated 1 minute ago

HUDSON, N.H. — Mitt Romney scrambled to diffuse his remark that he likes “being able to fire people,” after Republican rivals and Democrats seized on his comments — made at a Chamber of Commerce breakfast this morning — as further proof that he’s out of touch.

“Things can always be taken out of context and I understand that’s what the Obama people will do, but as you know I was speaking about insurance companies and the need to be able to make a choice and my comments entirely reflected that exception,” said Romney, whose campaign has been heavily scripted in the days leading up to the high-stakes primary tomorrow.

The former Bay State governor said earlier today that health insurers give fairer prices if they know they can be fired, but the remark comes as he’s fighting new attacks that his calculating demeanor made him a ruthless corporate “raider” who is out of touch with the common man.

“It also means that if you don’t like what they do, you can fire them. I like being able to fire people who provide services to me,” Romney said.

Romney, who addressed the media shortly after he spoke at the Gilchrist Metal Fabrication in Hudson, also explained that he feared getting a “pink slip” when he first started at Bain Consulting.

“I think people imagine that I came in at the top of Bain and company, the consulting firm or the Boston consulting group. Uh, I started at the bottom. I came out of school and I got an entry-level position like the other people that were freshly minted MBA’s,” said Romney when asked about his pink slip remark, which both Republicans opponents and Democrats have criticized. “Like how anybody starts at the bottom of an enterprise, you wonder when you don’t do so well you wonder whether you’re going to be able to hang on to your job and you wonder if the enterprise gets in trouble, will you be one of those who’s laid off.”

Romney’s Republican rivals Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum have accused the former Bay State governor of being a career politician who can’t relate to the struggles of everyday voters.

Romney spoke at the breakfast as a pro-Gingrich Super PAC Winning Our Future released a two-minute trailer online — aimed at voters in South Carolina — for an attack video framing him as a relentless business “raider” set on busting up companies in return for profit.

The trailer, which focuses on Romney’s role as a venture capitalist with Bain Capital, says the film will, “highlight just four of Romney’s many targets: Four businesses and the thousands of employees who worked there.”

The Democratic National Committee has also been hitting Romney on his role at Bain Capital, trucking out employees in Iowa and New Hampshire who lost their job after the venture capital firm took over their companies.

Romney has a sizable lead over the other Republican contenders in New Hampshire, but he faces a tougher battle in South Carolina and Florida where social conservatives haven.

Romney promised the executives that unlike President Obama, “I love you. I love what you do,”

Romney’s camp hit back today, saying the president has failed to grow the economy.

“Democrats will distort and misrepresent anything to distract voters from President Obama’s failure to create jobs. On President Obama’s watch, our country has lost 1.7 million jobs and there are now nearly 25 million people out of work, can’t find full time work, or who have just given up looking. Mitt Romney is the one candidate with first-hand knowledge of the real economy and a record of job creation that stands in direct contrast to our current president, who is clearly in over his head,” said Romney campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view.bg?articleid=1394587&srvc=rss

clappj
01-09-12, 04:56 PM
I would happily trade a president that's a great public speaker, but doesn't do much of anything he promised,
for one that isn't a great public speaker, but does all he can to get America back on the right track.

:)

JasonF
01-09-12, 05:01 PM
I would happily trade a president that's a great public speaker, but doesn't do much of anything he promised,
for one that isn't a great public speaker, but does all he can to get America back on the right track.

:)

I agree completely. I only hope you're not laboring under the delusion that Mitt Romney would put the country on the right track. ;)

wendersfan
01-09-12, 05:03 PM
for one that isn't a great public speaker, but does all he can to get America back on the right track.That's really kind of a straw man argument, since politicians actually tend to keep campaign promises (http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/january_february_2012/features/campaign_promises034471.php). And "back on the right track" is such a partisan- and ideology-laden phrase that it has little practical meaning.

RoyalTea
01-09-12, 06:19 PM
I'd really like to see Huntsman surge, just to see how the left will tear him down.

Navinabob
01-09-12, 06:27 PM
I'd really like to see Huntsman surge, just to see how the left will tear him down.

It would never get that far... the right will tear him down loooong before the left get close enough.

classicman2
01-09-12, 06:46 PM
What is the 'right' in the Republican Party?

JasonF
01-09-12, 08:55 PM
Boy, that Chris Christie sure is classy:

QK2vVeLW8sg

Tracer Bullet
01-09-12, 09:06 PM
Also, he's fat.

mosquitobite
01-09-12, 09:23 PM

QK2vVeLW8sg

Oh but he iiiiis! (if you still believe in the right is good, left is bad all the time propaganda!)
http://i43.tinypic.com/5cfue0.jpg

kvrdave
01-10-12, 12:48 AM

QK2vVeLW8sg

It's New Jersey. And it is a typical protest bimbo. I find myself not caring.

JasonF
01-10-12, 01:05 AM
It's New Jersey. And it is a typical protest bimbo. I find myself not caring.

I don't really care that much either, I just think it's funny that the man who so many saw as the savior of the Republican Party just a few months ago is getting in shouting matches with protestors and yelling things about blow jobs. This guy is seriously not ready for prime time.

And now, here is a candidate we can all get behind:

DFXXAuDK1Ao

Navinabob
01-10-12, 04:55 AM
I don't really care that much either, I just think it's funny that the man who so many saw as the savior of the Republican Party just a few months ago is getting in shouting matches with protestors and yelling things about blow jobs. This guy is seriously not ready for prime time.

And now, here is a candidate we can all get behind:

DFXXAuDK1Ao

Well, of all the Ron Paul videos out there, you did find the best one.

crazyronin
01-10-12, 06:04 AM
I don't really care that much either, I just think it's funny that the man who so many saw as the savior of the Republican Party just a few months ago is getting in shouting matches with protestors and yelling things about blow jobs.

Gov. Christie made a statement that was sexually indiscriminate and you assume that he was talking about blow jobs. Why the homophobia?

she could be a rug munchah.

Josh-da-man
01-10-12, 07:16 AM

Prime time on Jersey Shore, maybe.

CRM114
01-10-12, 09:29 AM
Christie is a fat, Jersey douche. He is really fat. Get control of yourself man.

orangecrush
01-10-12, 10:01 AM
Today's Mitt Romeny quote of the day:

Now, you can argue that the quote is out of context. But let's keep in mind -- two months ago, Mitt Romney ran an ad featuring a soundbyte of Barack Obama saying "Senator McCain's campaign actually said, and I quote, if we keep talking about the economy, we're going to lose" and edited into "If we keep talking about the economy, we're going to lose." So I would argue that Governor Romney has forefeited all right to complain about context.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view.bg?articleid=1394587&srvc=rssI think it is safe to assume that everyone who wants to become president likes the ability to fire people.

CRM114
01-10-12, 10:56 AM
Except Obama. He likes to hug.

Sean O'Hara
01-10-12, 11:05 AM
Christie is a fat, Jersey douche. He is really fat. Get control of yourself man.

Good to see you have your priorities straight when judging politicians.

chowderhead
01-10-12, 11:34 AM
a politician's temperament, age/health and demeanor are just as valid considerations when judging a politician as policies/positions/experience, etc. Actually, voters can use anything (real or imagined) to judge a politician. Christie IMO is loud, obnoxious and grossly overweight.

Th0r S1mpson
01-10-12, 11:41 AM
One day that glass ceiling will be broken, making room in the hearts of Americans for a loud, obnoxious overweight president. Sadly we live in a day and age where people complain about even sitting next to one on an airplane.

Meglos
01-10-12, 11:50 AM
One day that glass ceiling will be broken, making room in the hearts of Americans for a loud, obnoxious overweight president. Sadly we live in a day and age where people complain about even sitting next to one on an airplane.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to sit next to the director of Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back for two straight hours.

wishbone
01-10-12, 11:50 AM
Sadly we live in a day and age where people complain about even sitting next to one on an airplane.I'm pretty sure the President has his own plane. :shrug:

clappj
01-10-12, 11:54 AM
a politician's temperament, age/health and demeanor are just as valid considerations when judging a politician as policies/positions/experience, etc. Actually, voters can use anything (real or imagined) to judge a politician. Christie IMO is loud, obnoxious and grossly overweight.

I'll take style over substance any day of the week!

slop101
01-10-12, 11:56 AM
a politician's temperament, age/health and demeanor are just as valid considerations when judging a politician as policies/positions/experience, etc. Actually, voters can use anything (real or imagined) to judge a politician. Christie IMO is loud, obnoxious and grossly overweight.Exactly. How can a man who has so little self-control over his own well-being be expected to exercise the strict control necessary to run a country?

Th0r S1mpson
01-10-12, 12:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the President has his own plane. :shrug:

That's because Ron Paul isn't president. He'll ride his bike wherever he goes. If he has to go overseas (why would he) he will fly coach.

classicman2
01-10-12, 12:04 PM
Exactly. How can a man who has so little self-control over his own well-being be expected to exercise the strict control necessary to run a country?

How about Grover Cleveland & William Howard Taft?

clappj
01-10-12, 12:08 PM
Exactly. How can a man who has so little self-control over his own well-being be expected to exercise the strict control necessary to run a country?

Because one has nothing to do with the other.
Now go eat your veggies like Lady Obama told you to. ;)

CRM114
01-10-12, 12:10 PM
Good to see you have your priorities straight when judging politicians.

There is a difference between being overweight and unhealthy like Rick Santorum and being a total mess where you lack the discipline to even approach being healthy. The fact that your butt is four feet wide shows me something about a person's priorities. Apparently, number one on the list is gluttony.

classicman2
01-10-12, 12:47 PM
It's shows me absolutely nothing about their priorities as far as far as the governing of the nation goes.
That's what counts - IMO.

clappj
01-10-12, 12:54 PM
When I glance at the cover of book, I feel like I've already read it.

CRM114
01-10-12, 02:18 PM
It's shows me absolutely nothing about their priorities as far as far as the governing of the nation goes.
That's what counts - IMO.

Perhaps because you live in one of the fattest states in America?

Coupled with his lack of mouth discipline, it shows me (not you) that he is not in control of himself.

Sean O'Hara
01-10-12, 02:25 PM
There is a difference between being overweight and unhealthy like Rick Santorum and being a total mess where you lack the discipline to even approach being healthy. The fact that your butt is four feet wide shows me something about a person's priorities. Apparently, number one on the list is gluttony.

Indeed there is. But I fail to see how bringing it up in a political discussion is anything other than an ad hominem attack.

Sean O'Hara
01-10-12, 02:28 PM
How about Grover Cleveland & William Howard Taft?

And I suppose Psycho, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Stand By Me and The Princess Bride are horrible films since they were directed by people with no self control.

RoyalTea
01-10-12, 02:44 PM
If we can criticize overweight politicians for being "out of control," then should a smoker face the same criticism?

Dr Mabuse
01-10-12, 02:55 PM
'When Mitt Romney Came to Town' trailer:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_evS-T-c35M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

chowderhead
01-10-12, 02:58 PM
Chris Christie is not running for President so this is going off the topic. He is still fat and obnoxious though.
He is a surrogate for Romney. How many points does Romney win by today? <10% 15% or 20%?

DeputyDave
01-10-12, 03:19 PM

Coupled with his lack of mouth discipline, it shows me (not you) that he is not in control of himself.

What would you say about someone who can't quit smoking?

clappj
01-10-12, 03:23 PM
If we can criticize overweight politicians for being "out of control," then should a smoker face the same criticism?

:lol: Ironic, isn't it!

RoyalTea
01-10-12, 03:28 PM
I'm looking forward to an explanation on why "put down the French fries, fatty" is completely different from "put down the cigarettes, stinky."

Navinabob
01-10-12, 03:29 PM

I think so. Compulsive eating, smoking and drinking might be a sign of poor stress coping skills. I could see how someone might be a bit wary of a candidate for that reason. It wouldn't sway me one bit, but I at least see the reasoning.

LurkerDan
01-10-12, 03:32 PM

That depends. Is he a liberal democrat?

clappj
01-10-12, 03:47 PM

So, along that same line of thought, what does it say about someone that lives in a state with a relatively high violent crime rate?

Th0r S1mpson
01-10-12, 03:56 PM
So, along that same line of thought, what does it say about someone that lives in a state with a relatively high violent crime rate?

That you should cut your losses and say you will work on your weight.

clappj
01-10-12, 04:19 PM
That you should cut your losses and say you will work on your weight.

Obviously living in California makes you predisposed to having no idea how to manage your household budget right? ;)

wendersfan
01-10-12, 04:23 PM
Obviously living in California makes you predisposed to having no idea how to manage your household budget right? ;)

We are all stereotypes. I just did some data analysis for a guy in exchange for a really bitchin' tattoo!

Th0r S1mpson
01-10-12, 04:33 PM
I don't think you got my joke. :(

clappj
01-10-12, 04:38 PM
I don't think you got my joke. :(

I did actually, and thought it was funny. :)

Sorry, I just got caught up playing a game of "Sweeping Generalizations."

majorjoe23
01-10-12, 04:47 PM
What is the 'right' in the Republican Party?

I seem to get an email from them every other day or so, Columbia Christians for Life. They're always saying Rock Santorum isn't a true conservative because he isn't really against abortion.

Navinabob
01-10-12, 07:15 PM
I seem to get an email from them every other day or so, Columbia Christians for Life. They're always saying Rock Santorum isn't a true conservative because he isn't really against abortion.

Take a gander at all the wonders of the Christian political movement:

http://www.christianresponsealerts.com/

Those fuckers are even going after Archie comics.

http://www.christianresponsealerts.com/2012/01/archie-comics-features-gay-wedding-on-cover/

http://www.christianresponsealerts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/010912archiegayLG.jpg

Archie Comics has come a long way in 70 years and its latest issue features a gay wedding on its cover. Archie, Vernonica and Betty were wholesome characters and part of our popular culture. But now, the comic series promotes the gay agenda.

The comic features the wedding of Kevin Keller and Clay Walker. Keller is a soldier wounded in Iraq. While recovering in a hospital rehab unit, he meets Clay and they fall in love. Keller, the first gay character in the comic series was introduced in April 2010.

In 2010, the comic series also had Archie marrying both Veronica and Betty in parallel universes – thus introducing the idea of polygamy to its readers.

Characters Archie and Betty join in celebrating this gay wedding between Walker and Keller!

Of course, what Archie Comics won’t discuss honestly are the serious physical and mental dangers of gay sex as clearly documented by the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH).

Josh-da-man
01-10-12, 08:52 PM
What would you say about someone who can't quit smoking?

If it's a politician I like, then he's flaunting political correctness. If it's a politician I don't like, then he lacks self control and has poor character.

Someone can look at Rush Limbaugh and Michael Moore and see one as a fat, greasy slob and the other as a man of appetites who doesn't care what people say about him.

classicman2
01-10-12, 09:03 PM

Is that the only example of the right? What would you say about the isolationists in both parties? Would you consider them to be the 'right'?

Michael T Hudson
01-10-12, 09:25 PM

Rick Santorum is overweight?

Th0r S1mpson
01-10-12, 11:20 PM
The fact that NH comes down to Romney, then Paul and Huntsman, while predicted, certainly changes the picture a bit in my opinion. Interesting. Paul hanging in there is huge.

Superboy
01-10-12, 11:55 PM

They did it all to themselves. GOP candidates have been running on these absurd platforms for years. Are you going to pretend Michelle Bachmann isn't just Sarah Palin in a brand new wrapper? and i'll say this much for Santorum, he's consistent. He's been spouting the same nonsense for almost 10 years, and it must take an enormous political blind spot to think that most Republicans aren't in line with his kind of thinking.

CRM114
01-11-12, 12:05 AM
Indeed there is. But I fail to see how bringing it up in a political discussion is anything other than an ad hominem attack.

And that's OK. You obviously do not place health and personal discipline high on your list of personal virtues.

kvrdave
01-11-12, 12:11 AM
The fact that NH comes down to Romney, then Paul and Huntsman, while predicted, certainly changes the picture a bit in my opinion. Interesting. Paul hanging in there is huge.

Yeah, that will be all they cover on the news. :lol:

Sean O'Hara
01-11-12, 12:12 AM
And that's OK. You obviously do not place health and personal discipline high on your list of personal virtues.

No, I just don't see what it has to do with politics. Whether Christie is gorging on Big Macs is no more relevant than whether he's getting hummers from interns or having random gay encounters in public restrooms. It's a stupid thing to focus on and does nothing but distract from actual issues.

CRM114
01-11-12, 12:15 AM
Rick Santorum is overweight?

Check him out. Egg shaped. Can't tell from his head. But he's just a 50-something dude that has let go a bit.

As for smokers, I suppose if I saw a candidate constantly smoking, blowing smoke as he runs up on stage it would be equivalent to me seeing Christie's 4 foot wide ass. His belt is up where his nipples should be. It's in your face constantly.

As for the silly comparisons to Alfred Hitchcock, if Christie demonstrated some form of genius, one would obviously not even consider his appearance. But, alas, Christie is just a fat-assed Jersey blowhard politician.

CRM114
01-11-12, 12:17 AM

Ron Paul is completely irrelevant.

CRM114
01-11-12, 12:19 AM
No, I just don't see what it has to do with politics. Whether Christie is gorging on Big Macs is no more relevant than whether he's getting hummers from interns or having random gay encounters in public restrooms. It's a stupid thing to focus on and does nothing but distract from actual issues.

You do understand political success is based largely on image, right?

Superboy
01-11-12, 12:19 AM
This is going to be one exciting race! fatass vs smokey the black bear.

Sean O'Hara
01-11-12, 12:29 AM
You do understand political success is based largely on image, right?

I understand that's a major reason why the American political system is so screwed up, and I think anyone who admits to being that shallow should be called on it.

PopcornTreeCt
01-11-12, 01:34 AM
If it's a politician I like, then he's flaunting political correctness. If it's a politician I don't like, then he lacks self control and has poor character.

Someone can look at Rush Limbaugh and Michael Moore and see one as a fat, greasy slob and the other as a man of appetites who doesn't care what people say about him.

Trick question! They're both fat, greasy slobs!

RoyalTea
01-11-12, 04:18 AM
Everybody on this board knows how you feel about Republicans. So can you please stop acting like Christie's weight has the slightest impact on why you'd never vote for him? If Christie runs for president in 2016 at his current weight, there is a 0.00% chance you're voting for him. If Christie runs for president in 2016 after four years of diet and exercise and gets his BMI down to a very healthy level, there's a 0.00% chance you're voting for him.

Obama was a known smoker when he ran for president in 2008 and you still supported him. You, too, obviously do not place health and personal discipline high on your list of personal virtues. Either that, or you obviously have one set of personal virtues directed at Republicans and another set of personal virtues directed at Democrats.

RoyalTea
01-11-12, 04:29 AM
As for smokers, I suppose if I saw a candidate constantly smoking, blowing smoke as he runs up on stage it would be equivalent to me seeing Christie's 4 foot wide ass. His belt is up where his nipples should be. It's in your face constantly.

So, hypothetically, if a person running for office smokes three packs of days, but puts the cigarettes down when he's on camera on or on stage so you can't actually see him smoke, he gets a free pass from not putting health or personal discipline high on his list of personal virtues?

I didn't realize that the impact of cigarette smoke on someone's lungs are mitigated by the number of other people who can see him smoke.

GWB exercised a lot. He's probably the fittest president we've had in the White House in a long time. Want to heap some praise on GWB for putting health and personal discipline hight on his list of personal virtues? < crickets > Yeah, I didn't think so.

Navinabob
01-11-12, 04:58 AM
Santorum is such a douche of epic proportions it is just crazy. Below is an opinion piece from the Times.

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/rick-santorums-anti-college-rant/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c65WNw84HRY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rick Santorum’s Anti-College Rant

Hey, I get it: Republicans have to reject and condemn virtually everything President Obama proposes, no matter how noble, to satisfy their base. This is our political predicament.

Rick Santorum, however, has followed that logic out the window. In New Hampshire last week Santorum accused President Obama of “elitist snobbery” and “hubris” for suggesting that “under my administration, every child should go to college.”

Who are you? Who are you to say that every child in America go … I mean the hubris of this president to think that he knows what’s best for you. I … you know there is … I have seven kids. Maybe they’ll all go to college. But, if one of my kids wants to go and be an auto mechanic, good for him. That’s a good-paying job – using your hands and using your mind. This is the kind of, the kind of snobbery that we see from those who think they know how to run our lives. Rise up America. Defend your own freedoms.

First, the facts: I can’t find a single instance where the president has actually said that. The president has consistently framed the discussion as one of making high school graduates both college- and career-ready. And even when speaking about learning after high school, he has often included both higher education and vocational training.

For instance, during a joint session of Congress in February 2009, the president said:

It will be the goal of this administration to ensure that every child has access to a complete and competitive education – from the day they are born to the day they begin a career.

He continued:

And so tonight, I ask every American to commit to at least one year or more of higher education or career training. This can be community college or a four-year school; vocational training or an apprenticeship.

A question, Rick: How does a person become an auto mechanic without either vocational training or an apprenticeship? Does he just spring forth from the womb knowing how to drop the transmission on a Dodge Durango? I didn’t think so. Moving right along …

The president has called for the reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and challenged states to “develop standards and assessments that will help America’s children rise to the challenge of graduating from high school prepared for college and the workplace.”

The president has also unveiled plans to help more students graduate from community college, a main tenet of his education agenda, saying,

We know that in the coming years, jobs requiring at least an associate degree are projected to grow twice as fast as jobs requiring no college experience. We will not fill those jobs or even keep those jobs here in America without the training offered by community colleges.

Now that we’ve established some facts, let’s turn to the larger question: Is it a bad thing to want more students to be prepared for college, to have access to college and to in fact attend college? Of course not.

As The Washington Post pointed out in September, an Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development report released that month found that:

America’s global rank in college completion among young adults is slipping, according to a report released Tuesday, signaling that the higher education ambitions of other nations are progressing at a swifter pace.

The Post continued:

Instead of gaining ground, the United States has fallen from 12th to 16th in the share of adults age 25 to 34 holding degrees, according to the report from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. It trails global leaders South Korea, Canada and Japan and is mired in the middle of the pack among developed nations.

The stagnant U.S. performance on this key international benchmark reflects at least two trends: the rapid expansion of college attendance in Asia and Europe, and the continuing emphasis on four-year degrees in the United States while other nations focus far more on one- and two-year professional credentials.

Sounds to me like the president’s plan is designed to address this. But then again, I’m applying regular logic, not “I-hate-Obama, stick-my-fingers-in-my-ears, say ‘la-la-la-la-la’ ” logic.

An even more disturbing finding in the O.E.C.D report is how poorly Americans perform in the job market without a college degree. Among Americans aged 18 to 64 whose highest level of education is “upper secondary and post-secondary non-tertiary” — the equivalent of high school and perhaps some vocational or community college training — the percentage of the employed is among the lowest of all O.E.C.D. countries. We rank 30th out of 34 countries, just above Greece, Hungary, Poland and Turkey.

Oh, the hubris and elitist snobbery of wanting a more educated, more highly employed work force.

mosquitobite
01-11-12, 08:42 AM
Ron Paul is completely irrelevant.

I love to hear this. Just keeps his supporters going stronger. (no, seriously!) So keep it up! :D

CRM114
01-11-12, 08:55 AM
So, hypothetically, if a person running for office smokes three packs of days, but puts the cigarettes down when he's on camera on or on stage so you can't actually see him smoke, he gets a free pass from not putting health or personal discipline high on his list of personal virtues?

I didn't realize that the impact of cigarette smoke on someone's lungs are mitigated by the number of other people who can see him smoke.

GWB exercised a lot. He's probably the fittest president we've had in the White House in a long time. Want to heap some praise on GWB for putting health and personal discipline hight on his list of personal virtues? < crickets > Yeah, I didn't think so.

Of course I wouldn't vote for Christie, the fat-ased NJ douche blowhard (I'm allowed to say that, I virtually live in NJ), or GWB. Nor would I seriously hold a personal issue as the highest criteria for me voting for anyone. But Christie is different. He is grotesquely obese not simply overweight.

CRM114
01-11-12, 08:58 AM
I love to hear this. Just keeps his supporters going stronger. (no, seriously!) So keep it up! :D

I don't mean to be mean. :)

Sure, Ron Paul is highly relevant when it comes to brining his issues to the fore and somewhat changing the dialog happening in the Republican party. But he has absolutely NO shot whatsoever winning the nomination. You know it, everyone knows it. The Republican machine would never allow it to happen. His followers are highly comprised of anti-war people from the left. His speech last night got the biggest rousing applause when he spoke of ending all the wars. That is NOT what Repubs want to hear. Hell, Rick Perry wants to send troops BACK to Iraq. :lol:

classicman2
01-11-12, 09:20 AM
Republicans, like Democrats, have differing views about wars - foreign entaglements.

CRM114
01-11-12, 09:27 AM
Those 22 year old hipsters filling Paul rallies are not Republicans.

arminius
01-11-12, 09:45 AM
Ron Paul is the only one I would vote for in either party. We need a paradigm shift. The old coin made up of Gop on one side and Dems on the other has ceased to function for the good of the USA. I agree he is not really a republican, but he has a better chance on that ticket and upsetting the fanatasy world of the GOP than the fanatasy world of the democrats.

inri222
01-11-12, 09:46 AM
http://img.izismile.com/img/img5/20120111/640/funny_picdump_107_640_22.jpg

Sean O'Hara
01-11-12, 09:49 AM
But Christie is different. He is grotesquely obese not simply overweight.

And who are you to privilege one body type over another? Christie's life choices are his own and it's not up to you to judge. Sometimes I wonder how you can be a Democrat while rejecting such basic aspects of liberalism.

CRM114
01-11-12, 09:55 AM
Sorry I don't fit into your mold of what a liberal is supposed to be. I'm not sure what that even means. Because I don't have bongos and hand out flowers to fat people? And who am I? Some guy with an opinion that grotesquely obese people need to get control of themselves for their own good and for society's good. Am I going to favor legislation against fat people? Am I going to favor higher insurance rates for fat people? Probably not but my opinions have changed on the matter after seeing how smokers have been villainized in contemporary times. It's a total double standard.

Sean O'Hara
01-11-12, 10:04 AM
Because accepting people for who they are and not privileging your own standards over theirs is an extreme liberal position that only bongo playing hippies hold and not a core tenet of modern liberal thought. Sorry, CRM, but you sound like a Republican complaining about poor people deliberately being poor when you spout off about fatties.

CRM114
01-11-12, 10:14 AM
I drive a giant SUV with a V8 too.

By the way, I wasn't aware "accepting people for who they are" was exclusively a liberal ideology. And I do "accept" them, but their behavior leaves me with questions. Same with when I was working in the business world, I wouldn't hire someone with a neck tattoo or nose ring. I'm so radical! My radicalism is evidenced by the ponderous amounts of people walking in and out of corporate office buildings wearing suits and sporting neck tattoos. This is not me walking around goofing on fat people. This is me making a decision on who I would hire for a job.

classicman2
01-11-12, 10:28 AM
I can't believe you drive a giant, gas gussling SUV with a V8 engine. I thought you were concerned about our environment.

Tracer Bullet
01-11-12, 10:32 AM
It doesn't surprise me.

CRM114
01-11-12, 10:52 AM
I can't believe you drive a giant, gas gussling SUV with a V8 engine. I thought you were concerned about our environment.

I'm not sure where you got that idea. I have a kid and three dogs and live in a snowy area. We've been through this many times.

By the way, the 4.7L V8 Toyota used in their Lexus and 4Runner line? Like butter.

classicman2
01-11-12, 10:55 AM
Excuses, excuses, excuses! I see - you're only concerned about the environement if it is convenient for you to be. :lol:

CRM114
01-11-12, 10:57 AM
The environment is YOUR issue. However, I'm thinking about getting one of those Nissan Leafs for my commute though since it's only 8 miles. Oh wait, let me get my bongos again. :lol:

Sean O'Hara
01-11-12, 11:50 AM
I drive a giant SUV with a V8 too.

You do know you're the reason for the Iraq War, right?

By the way, I wasn't aware "accepting people for who they are" was exclusively a liberal ideology.

You failed Venn diagrams, didn't you? The point isn't that only liberals hold that view, but that people who are liberals do. It's a standard part the pro-multiculturalism, pro-feminist, pro-LGBT worldview. Your position on this and the fact that you support healthcare reform not out of concern for the poor but because you hate freeloaders raising your premiums, really makes me think you're really a conservative who votes for Democrats because they're better at screwing people.

And I do "accept" them, but their behavior leaves me with questions. Same with when I was working in the business world, I wouldn't hire someone with a neck tattoo or nose ring. I'm so radical! My radicalism is evidenced by the ponderous amounts of people walking in and out of corporate office buildings wearing suits and sporting neck tattoos. This is not me walking around goofing on fat people. This is me making a decision on who I would hire for a job.

Because tattoos and body piercings are equivalent to over-eating or lack of exercise?

CRM114
01-11-12, 11:57 AM
Actually, I don't support healthcare reform because of freeloaders although I do consider that point in my position. It's one of the reasons why I support the concept of a healthcare mandate - a position inexplicably rejected by the conservative crowd. If I did oppose fat people simply because of their impact on insurance rates, I would not wholeheartedly support smokers' rights. My position is simply that if you are going clamp down on smokers, you should do it to a far larger group with most likely an equal impact on healthcare costs.

I know many like to pin me down as some sort of radical Portlandia liberal here but that's a product of the forum being heavily weighted to the far right.

Groucho
01-11-12, 12:14 PM
I know many like to pin me down as some sort of radical Portlandia liberal hereDon't flatter yourself, you're more of a gung-hu San Francisco progressive in my mind.

Sean O'Hara
01-11-12, 12:16 PM
Actually, I don't support healthcare reform because of freeloaders although I do consider that point in my position. It's one of the reasons why I support the concept of a healthcare mandate - a position inexplicably rejected by the conservative crowd. If I did oppose fat people simply because of their impact on insurance rates, I would not wholeheartedly support smokers' rights.

And you still haven't explained how you reconcile your "Fatties are horrible people" with support for smokers' rights.

My position is simply that if you are going clamp down on smokers, you should do it to a far larger group with most likely an equal impact on healthcare costs.

This is a new twist. What exactly do you propose? A five dollar a pack Twinkie tax?

I know many like to pin me down as some sort of radical Portlandia liberal here but that's a product of the forum being heavily weighted to the far right.

As I said, I think you're a conservative. And you may've noticed, I'm the sort of radical libertarian who's well to the left of liberals on social issues.

CRM114
01-11-12, 01:25 PM
And you still haven't explained how you reconcile your "Fatties are horrible people" with support for smokers' rights.

You might rephrase it to why I think grotesquely obese people should not symbolize America in the office of the President.

This is a new twist. What exactly do you propose? A five dollar a pack Twinkie tax?

No, I think they should drop all sin taxes on tobacco and stop using it as a convenient revenue source and allow businesses to freely decide for themselves whether or not to permit smoking indoors.

As I said, I think you're a conservative. And you may've noticed, I'm the sort of radical libertarian who's well to the left of liberals on social issues.

I think I'm conservative in many areas myself. I know that will be followed by many rotfl emoticons by most everyone here except you.

classicman2
01-11-12, 01:35 PM
The arguments that we have seen in these posts absolutely prove that terms like conservative and liberal have different meanings to different folks.

Addendum: I left out the term libertarian. Different folks have different meanings of that word.

orangecrush
01-11-12, 02:26 PM
The arguments that we have seen in these posts absolutely prove that terms like conservative and liberal have different meanings to different folks.

Addendum: I left out the term libertarian. Different folks have different meanings of that word.I am pretty sure libertarian just means crazy to most folks.

sracer
01-11-12, 10:42 PM

I find it interesting that you are willing to overlook the other aspects of a politician's personal life such as integrity and marital fidelity (under the claim that their personal life has no bearing on their ability to fulfill the duties of elected office). Oh wait, that only holds if the politician is a Democrat. Nevermind.

Superboy
01-11-12, 10:47 PM

Addendum: I left out the term libertarian. Different folks have different meanings of that word.

On the political "square", you're technically a facist.

PopcornTreeCt
01-11-12, 11:43 PM
Ron Paul would easily win the nomination if they let people vote via an app on Facebook.

brayzie
01-12-12, 03:01 AM
So the Christie guy should not be president because he lacks discipline to control his weight or because it makes us look bad to have a fat president?

Navinabob
01-12-12, 05:39 AM
So the Christie guy should not be president because he lacks discipline to control his weight or because it makes us look bad to have a fat president?

He shouldn't be president because in a party swimming pool filled with Jimmy McMillan, Vern Wuensche, Michele Bachmann, & Herman Cain, he didn't get far enough in to get his dick wet. The man sat on the fence and played coy with running so long he made Trump look a real candidate. I've no idea how he'd even consider he would have held up with that entire ugly deferred prosecution agreement fiasco he started (unless maybe he figured Newt still looked worse?).

classicman2
01-12-12, 07:24 AM
Once again I have demonstrated that I know nothing about the GOP primary voters. I honestly didn't believe that Romney had a chance at the GOP nomination. With the endorsement of both SC Republican Senators, he is now, obviously, the GOP presumptive nominee. With a Romney win in SC, all the other candidates (with the exception of Ron Paul) will most likely call it quits. Romney wins FL & it's all over but the shouting.

mosquitobite
01-12-12, 07:33 AM
Ron Paul would easily win the nomination if they let people vote via an app on Facebook.

Neil Cavuto Fox News:
Ron Paul is Obama's biggest threat (http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1384423378001/why-ron-paul-is-obamas-toughest-competitor/?playlist_id=87185)

76 year old dude...treated like a rock star.

CRM114
01-12-12, 09:08 AM
I find it interesting that you are willing to overlook the other aspects of a politician's personal life such as integrity and marital fidelity (under the claim that their personal life has no bearing on their ability to fulfill the duties of elected office). Oh wait, that only holds if the politician is a Democrat. Nevermind.

Do you have a specific example in mind or is a hit and run sarcastic remark the best you can come up with? I'm also trying to figure out why you think being 400lbs has no bearing on one's ability to serve.

RoyalTea
01-12-12, 09:30 AM
I'm also trying to figure out why you think being 400lbs has a bearing on one's ability to serve.

CRM114
01-12-12, 09:32 AM
Um, how about keeling over with a massive cardiac arrest? :lol:

I see I struck the fat nerve. I'll stop. Religion and fatness. Two of America's treasured traditions.

RoyalTea
01-12-12, 09:41 AM
Um, how about keeling over with a massive cardiac arrest? :lol:

I see I struck the fat nerve. I'll stop. Religion and fatness. Two of America's treasured traditions.

Don't vote for someone because there's a chance they could die!

do you seek medical records for all the democrats for whom you vote? One of them might have some family history of illness that might make them unfit to serve public office!

Groucho
01-12-12, 10:24 AM
I just wish all the Ron Paul supporters would have shifted their enthusiasm to Gary Johnson. He has experience in actual application of libertarian ideals in an administrative position, and none of the baggage that Paul has.

spainlinx0
01-12-12, 10:38 AM
I just wish all the Ron Paul supporters would have shifted their enthusiasm to Gary Johnson. He has experience in actual application of libertarian ideals in an administrative position, and none of the baggage that Paul has.

But would he be able to pull the conspiracy theorist voters?

clappj
01-12-12, 11:05 AM
Religion and fatness. Two of America's treasured traditions.

Does Obama's faith in God bother you?

Dr Mabuse
01-12-12, 11:45 AM

That's why the public doesn't even know he exists. The powerful weren't taking any chances on that happening. If the public heard his points they would like what he said, so the powerful just shut him out completely.

Ron Paul is kooky enough, and now old enough, that they brought him along as a kind of sideshow 'comic relief' to help them get their sociopath empty suit into power. I'm sure they chuckle at his second and third place finishes, knowing at best he will have some small influence at the convention and maybe they toss a few policy and platform scraps his way to get his followers on board with Romney.

sracer
01-12-12, 12:17 PM
Sounds good in the theoretical... Until he were to be taken seriously, the closet door opened and the skeletons tumble out.

Groucho
01-12-12, 12:42 PM
Does Obama's faith in God bother you?Which one? His "secret Muslim" faith or his "crazy Christian" faith?

orangecrush
01-12-12, 12:51 PM
Does Obama's faith in God bother you?Of course not. Just like with Clinton, we all know he really doesn't mean it -rolleyes-

clappj
01-12-12, 12:52 PM
Which one? His "secret Muslim" faith or his "crazy Christian" faith?

I've leave it up to CRM to take his pick. :)

movielib
01-12-12, 02:31 PM
:up: Plus, he's more libertarian than Paul.

classicman2
01-12-12, 03:04 PM

and almost as unrealistic! ;)

movielib
01-12-12, 06:41 PM
But not quite so it's all good.

classicman2
01-12-12, 08:12 PM
I liked the former NM governor's position on one thing - horse racing. He can't be all bad.

wishbone
01-12-12, 10:38 PM
I am sure the feeling is parimutuel. ;)

Josh-da-man
01-13-12, 12:12 AM

I've never gotten the sense that Ron Paul is a libertarian. Always strikes me as more of a paleoconservative.

movielib
01-13-12, 11:05 AM
I've never gotten the sense that Ron Paul is a libertarian. Always strikes me as more of a paleoconservative.
He's a paleosomething.

Ky-Fi
01-13-12, 11:50 AM
I consider myself a paleoconservative, and I guess Paul does reflect a lot of those positions, although for various reasons he doesn't appeal to me as a candidate. According to this, I guess I'm a "Crunchy Con":

Journalist Rod Dreher of the Dallas Morning News outlined what he called the "Crunchy Con Manifesto", which summarizes most paleoconservative principles:

* "We are conservatives who stand outside the conservative mainstream; therefore, we can see things that matter more clearly.

* Modern conservatism has become too focused on money, power, and the accumulation of stuff, and insufficiently concerned with the content of our individual and social character.

* Big business deserves as much skepticism as big government.

* Culture is more important than politics and economics.

* A conservatism that does not practice restraint, humility, and good stewardship — especially of the natural world — is not fundamentally conservative.

* Small, Local, Old, and Particular are almost always better than Big, Global, New, and Abstract. [ :thumbsup: - K-F]

* Beauty is more important than efficiency. [eh, getting a bit sappy -K-F]

* The relentlessness of media-driven pop culture deadens our senses to authentic truth, beauty, and wisdom. [somewhat agree -K-F]

* We share Russell Kirk’s conviction that “the institution most essential to conserve is the family.”

* Politics and economics won’t save us; if our culture is to be saved at all, it will be by faithfully living by the Permanent Things, conserving these ancient moral truths in the choices we make in our everyday lives."[5]

http://conservapedia.com/Paleoconservative

spainlinx0
01-13-12, 12:00 PM
So is the internet small, local, old, or particular?

Th0r S1mpson
01-13-12, 12:03 PM
There are better things than the internet. That doesn't mean the internet isn't awesome.

Talking to someone in a coffee shop > Talking to someone on Facebook.

The best is that you can browse the internet and look things up WHILE talking in the coffee shop, if it will contribute a fact to the conversation.

The old can be enhanced by the new, rather than replaced.

And get of my lawn with your cell phone.

Ky-Fi
01-13-12, 12:05 PM
So is the internet small, local, old, or particular?

No it's not, but I would categorize my non-internet activities and relationships as better and of more value than my internet ones.

Groucho
01-13-12, 12:13 PM
No it's not, but I would categorize my non-internet activities and relationships as better and of more value than my internet ones.That hurts me. Right here.

http://cowbell.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83423e30253ef01156fbb615d970c-400wi

wendersfan
01-13-12, 12:32 PM
The voters of New Mexico seemed to like him. :shrug:
It's because two of Paul's central ideological beliefs come into conflict - personal freedom and states rights. One might favor drug legalization but feel that the right of individual states to restrict drug use trumps that.

Ky-Fi
01-13-12, 12:32 PM
That hurts me. Right here.

http://cowbell.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83423e30253ef01156fbb615d970c-400wi

Now don't get me wrong---I'm not saying there's NO value in internet activities or relationships. For instance, I probably only get to view interracial lesbian orgies, say, two or three times a month in real life---whereas I can see them much more often on the internet.

Dr Mabuse
01-13-12, 02:15 PM
The voters of New Mexico seemed to like him. :shrug:

Indeed they did. But he was raked over the coals trying to get elected as a Republican governor in a highly liberal state. He was Satan himself! I used to go sit on the outdoor patios of restaurants and bars on Central an watch the protest marches against him and his evil ways while I was getting my drink on. His policies were so good for the state, he handily won re-election in 4 years after people saw the results of his policies beginning to take effect.

Gary is the reason so many movies are made in NM now, and TV shows like 'Breaking Bad' and the like, that's all him. He was so good for this state.

classicman2
01-13-12, 03:22 PM
New

Dr Mabuse
01-13-12, 03:23 PM
New

Yep.

classicman2
01-13-12, 03:24 PM
New Mexico is a highly liberal state?

Hmm! I didn't know that.

wishbone