Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Rizzoli & Isles (TNT) -- Series Discussion Thread -- S: Angie Harmon, Sasha Alexander

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rizzoli & Isles (TNT) -- Series Discussion Thread -- S: Angie Harmon, Sasha Alexander

Old 07-12-10, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Rizzoli and Isles

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
A drama that zeros in on two disparate gal-pal crimefighters from Boston---assertive detective Jane Rizzoli (Angie Harmon) and steady medical examiner Maura Isles (Sasha Alexander). First up: the grim slaying of a wealthy couple appears to be the handiwork of a copycat killer.

No, this is not some new Italian Cooking show.

Starring:
Angie Harmon (Law and Order)
Sasha Alexander (NCIS)
Lorraine Bracco (The Sopranos)
Bruce McGill (Law Abiding Citizen, W, Vantage Point)
Lee Thompson Young (Smallville, Flashforward)
Donnie Wahlberg, who is already on Blue Bloods on CBS, will appear in 2 episodes.

TNT ordered 10 episodes.

The creator of this show is Janet Tamaro, who was a writer and producer on Bones.

I like the leads alot. Angie Harmon was good on Women's Murder Club a few years ago which unfortunately got axed. I've missed Sasha Alexander since she left NCIS to get married and start a family.

A good review from the Hollywood Reporter.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100711/...vision_rizzoli

Looks like TNT Monday's are Chick Procedural night.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-12-10 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-12-10, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk God

re: Rizzoli & Isles (TNT) -- Series Discussion Thread -- S: Angie Harmon, Sasha Alexander

A behind the scenes featurette that introduces the show and characters:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lYl0rJmlQdk&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lYl0rJmlQdk&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 07-12-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
re: Rizzoli & Isles (TNT) -- Series Discussion Thread -- S: Angie Harmon, Sasha Alexander

Angie should've never left Law & Order.
Old 07-12-10, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Angie should've never left Law & Order.
Well, she would have been unemployed right now if she stayed.

But, if I recall correctly, she left to get married to Jason Sehorn and start a family. Then she gradually came back and did a few projects here and there, which included WMC.
Old 07-12-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You had me at Angie Harmon.

D
Old 07-12-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

That title is misleading. "See one, Do one?" Does that mean they will do each other?

Old 07-13-10, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Well, I liked this one alot. It reminded me of Women's Murder Club, Cagney and Lacey and Crossing Jordan. Angie Harmon's character is almost identical to her character on WMC. What they seem to be doing with Lorraine Bracco kind of reminds me of Sharon Gless' role on Burn Notice. I do like the dynamic and relationship that Rizzoli has with Sasha Alexander's character Maura. They seem to have good chemistry and play off each other well. One thing I thought was funny was when Jane noticed how hot Maura looks every time she's at work or at home and said..."Why do you always look like your going to a photoshoot?" It's good to see 2 strong female leads actually like each other.

I had to chuckle when I saw Michael Massee (D Gibbons from Flashforward) and Lee Thompson Young (also on Flashforward) on this show. Massee was a solid villain. I thought the case was really compelling and had a surprisingly really violent ending.

It's funny the Pilot was 65 minutes and my DVR still got cut off. I think I probably missed like 5 seconds of Jane just shutting the door of her apartment.

Definitely back next week.
Old 07-13-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Easily one of the worst titles for a show I've heard of in a long time.
Old 07-13-10, 12:15 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

meh

Decent summer show, but I'm not sure I'd continue watching if it was on during the normal tv season. I thought the dialouge, especially coming from Rizzoli, wasn't very good; too much generic cop show speak.
Old 07-13-10, 01:04 PM

It was ok. But mostly because it followed the generic cop show formula. I was hoping Rizzoli actually went through with what was teased at the end with the serial killer guy. That would've least put a different spin on the show. But as it is, the strength of the leads is the only reason to stick with it.

D
Old 07-13-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Derrich
It was ok. But mostly because it followed the generic cop show formula. I was hoping Rizzoli actually went through with what was teased at the end with the serial killer guy. That would've least put a different spin on the show. But as it is, the strength of the leads is the only reason to stick with it.

D
Angie and Sasha are solid leads, so I think that will definitely be the strength of the show. But, I do agree that the whole resolution to the Sugeon and Apprentice storyline was a little compact and abrupt. That could have been a recurring arc to the show.
Old 07-13-10, 01:17 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

I do give them credit for not going where I thought they were going (The FBI agent being the apprentice when he showed up at her apartment at night)
Old 07-13-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/13...-viewers/56989

7.6M viewers watched the premiere. That's very impressive as the lead-out from The Closer.
Old 07-13-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I thought it was an awesome pilot. The best I've seen in a while.
Old 07-14-10, 12:55 AM

The only two shows you should be watching this summer are Mad Men and Rubicon. Well, three if you haven't caught up with the latest season of Breaking Bad.
Old 07-14-10, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Medicine
The only two shows you should be watching this summer are Mad Men and Rubicon. Well, three if you haven't caught up with the latest season of Breaking Bad.

Okay, thanks for sharing your insight into this episode.
Old 07-14-10, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't seen it yet, but in previews, it looks like she is playing the same character as she did in Women's Murder Club.
Old 07-14-10, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by movieking
I haven't seen it yet, but in previews, it looks like she is playing the same character as she did in Women's Murder Club.
That's what I said earlier in this thread. Jane Rizzoli is almost a 100% carbon copy of Lindsay Boxer from Women's Murder Club.
Old 07-14-10, 11:09 AM

and thats not too far from Abby Carmichael.

D
Old 07-15-10, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tried to post something last night from my touch, but apparently it didn't go though. Anyway, I watched the first show, and was very underwhelmed. It was such a generic cop show that I don't know any characters name on the show. I wouldn't know the title of the show only for it is in the title of the thread. I agree with the thought that they should have used the serial killer plot as a recurring theme for season one, along with revealing bits and pieces of what happened to Rizzoli over a few shows to build her character better over time. Everything seemed pretty forced in the first episode.
Old 07-15-10, 07:36 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

I wish Sasha Alexander was in a show I cared about.
Old 07-15-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
That's what I said earlier in this thread. Jane Rizzoli is almost a 100% carbon copy of Lindsay Boxer from Women's Murder Club.

Except the characters are from a book series that came out in 2001/2002. So I wonder if Women's Club borrowed from the book. I thought the show was OK. I kind of got a Silice of the Lambs vibe from it. From what I read the characters are pretty true to the book series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Surgeon_%28novel%29
Old 07-16-10, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I tuned in because of Angie Harmon. I certainly wasn't overwhelmed, but I didn't think it was as horrible as others seem to think it was. I was actually happy with the violent ending, although if that happens weekly, it'll get old quick.

I'll tune in again. Hopefully I'll last longer than I did with Memphis Blues.
Old 07-16-10, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Except the characters are from a book series that came out in 2001/2002. So I wonder if Women's Club borrowed from the book.
I don't think anyone was accusing anything of being ripped off. And for what it's worth, the first Women's Murder Club book came out in 2001 as well.
Old 07-16-10, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Nothing there that wasn't by the book procedural cop drama stuff.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.