Detroit at Alabama, ESPNU, 6
Coppin State at Illinois, ESPNU, 8

Complete TV Schedule:
http://www.mattsarzsports.com/basketball2011/week5.aspx

Red Dog
12-05-11, 04:13 PM
Thursday, December 8
Harvard at Connecticut, ESPN2, 7

I usually don't comment on such things, but ESPN couldn't have timed this more perfectly what with Harvard being ranked for the first time in who knows how long.

WallyOPD
12-05-11, 04:37 PM
Wednesday, December 7
Arizona at Florida, ESPN2, 7

This one's actually on ESPN. I wish this game wasn't the same night that Iona is coming out to Denver. I'd really have liked to go to the latter game. I suspect that by the end of the night I'll wish I'd gone.

WallyOPD
12-06-11, 01:11 PM
Reports are that UCLA has kicked Reeves Nelson off the team. I don't mind too much, he's destroyed Arizona the past couple years.

Edit: Ben Howland and UCLA have clarified in a press release that Nelson is indefinitely suspended (for the second time this season), not dismissed from the team. Howland caved after 1 game last time, let's see how long this one lasts. :lol:

WallyOPD
12-06-11, 11:44 PM
What a game between Washington and Marquette, that was fantastic. This early season has had a ton of classics.

Daryl
12-06-11, 11:45 PM
Crowder exploded in the 2nd half, primarily on leak-outs after a shot went up and on quick cuts to the basket. His dreads must've been lulling his defender to sleep.

Red Dog
12-07-11, 08:58 PM
Dayton upsets Bama.

Red Dog
12-07-11, 09:03 PM
Can't believe they called a shooting foul. Good job by the Arizona player to sell it.

Red Dog
12-07-11, 09:04 PM
Overtime. If Florida loses this, they can blame their atrocious foul shooting.

WallyOPD
12-07-11, 09:19 PM
Well, shit. Acquitted themselves well, but could have really used a quality win there.

Red Dog
12-08-11, 11:26 AM
Wow....Utah is really really bad. They lost by 31 at home to Cal-State Fullerton. Their only win is vs. a NAIA team. Nice pickup, Pac 12. ;)

slymer
12-08-11, 12:10 PM
Aztecs win the city championship vs. USD. Wouldn't be surprised if SDSU goes into their conference opener against UNLV at 14-2. Should be a hell of a game to start the conference season.

Red Dog
12-08-11, 07:07 PM
Harvard can alley-oop too. :lol:

Red Dog
12-08-11, 07:45 PM
Great defense by Harvard at the end of the half to get back in it.

Red Dog
12-08-11, 08:48 PM
Tough night for Harvard. Hung for a half. Well Harvard sure looked better against UConn than my Bison did last March. ;)

WallyOPD
12-09-11, 02:49 PM
Reports are that UCLA has kicked Reeves Nelson off the team. I don't mind too much, he's destroyed Arizona the past couple years.

Edit: Ben Howland and UCLA have clarified in a press release that Nelson is indefinitely suspended (for the second time this season), not dismissed from the team. Howland caved after 1 game last time, let's see how long this one lasts. :lol:

And now they've officially dismissed him from the team.

WallyOPD
12-09-11, 02:50 PM
Loved the pocket of Harvard fans shoved way up in a high corner last night.

WallyOPD
12-09-11, 07:38 PM
Northern Arizona's head coach Mike Adras resigned rather suddenly today. He took over for Ben Howland when he left for Pittsburgh after the '98-99 season.

MrX
12-10-11, 02:40 PM
Jesus Christ, a huge brawl between Xavier and Cincinnati at the end of their game.

WallyOPD
12-10-11, 03:23 PM
That brawl was nasty, there should be a few lengthy suspensions for that.

Decker
12-10-11, 05:18 PM
This Buford guy at tOSU is really good. Think KU will hang on though. Much heart for the Buckeyes without Sullinger and at Lawrence.

WallyOPD
12-10-11, 06:18 PM
Lyons and Holloway didn't do themselves any favors in that postgame press conference.

Cardsfan111
12-10-11, 06:32 PM
Lyons and Holloway didn't do themselves any favors in that postgame press conference.

You got that right. Sad display from both sides this afternoon.

MrX
12-10-11, 07:13 PM
IU playing incredibly dumb down the stretch.

WallyOPD
12-10-11, 07:19 PM
IU playing incredibly dumb down the stretch.

Kentucky is getting something on every possession; so many weapons.

Bacon
12-10-11, 07:27 PM
wow what a shot!!!

MrX
12-10-11, 07:27 PM
Wow

Cardsfan111
12-10-11, 07:28 PM
What a finish for IU. I cheer for Louisville, but I'm proud to be a Hoosier.

Red Dog
12-10-11, 07:39 PM
Looks like I missed a brawl and a buzzer beater. Damn.

Red Dog
12-10-11, 07:43 PM
Wow....just saw the highlight. That's onions.

Cardsfan111
12-10-11, 07:45 PM
Watching more coverage of the Cincy/Xavier fight. What a bunch of idiots.

:up: to Mick Cronin and his postgame remarks.

Bacon
12-10-11, 07:50 PM

:up:
I agree with him the players involved should be kicked off the team

Red Dog
12-10-11, 07:56 PM
Now that I've seen it in real time, and for those who wonder, yes, that's a legitimate rush-the-floor scenario. You have my :thumbsup: . Now if it happened 20 years in the past, not so much. ;)

I find it ironic that Cal asked his fans which big series to jettison if the SEC goes to 18 games and they picked Indiana. :lol:

Cory02
12-10-11, 07:58 PM
Watching more coverage of the Cincy/Xavier fight. What a bunch of idiots.

Loved Cronin's postgame remarks.

Red Dog
12-10-11, 08:00 PM
I'm late to it....what did he say? I haven't even seen the full fight though.

WallyOPD
12-10-11, 08:10 PM

He had a lot, mostly boiling down to saying that he's going to hold his players accountable, said that there was no excuse for their behavior and he's never been more embarrassed. They need to take their ass-whipping and grow up. That he took their jerseys from them and will meet with the AD and President to decide who will stay on the team going forward. A lot of comments along those lines. Much stronger than what Coach Mack said (not that there was anything wrong with Mack's comments, just that they were a lot more vanilla).

Cory02
12-10-11, 08:10 PM

Here are some highlights. Definitely worth chasing down video of the whole thing.

Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin certainly indicated he is going to take strong action. In his postgame news conference, Cronin said, "I have never been this embarrassed in my entire career.

"It's a complete embarrassment," Cronin said. "Toughness is doing the right thing. You take your ass-whipping and go home. If my players don't act the right way, they will never play another game at Cincinnati."

Cronin led the Bearcats to the NCAA tournament for the first time in his five seasons last March and received a three-year contract extension in April. Cronin said that he and the school president will watch the tape and determine which players "remain on the team."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7339184/cincinnati-bearcats-coach-embarrassed-brawl-xavier-musketeers

Cronin told his players to remove their jerseys after the game because he was so upset at what happened.

“We represent an institution of higher learning,” Cronin said. “It’s way more important than basketball games. I made everybody take their jersey off, and they will not put it on again until they have a full understanding of where they go to school and what the university stands for and how lucky they are to even be there, let alone have a scholarship.

“They’re all sitting in there with no jersey on. Some of them I physically took it off.”

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=201112100682

Red Dog
12-10-11, 08:12 PM
We'll see. It's a good time to suspend players I would imagine.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at the scoreboard, and I see that Austin Peay got their 1st win today....at Tennessee. rotfl

Red Dog
12-10-11, 08:15 PM
I'm catching up on the scoreboard.

KU demolished OSU apparently. Wow. 1st real road game will do that.

Creighton had their first setback.

Cardsfan111
12-10-11, 08:19 PM
Here's a more complete transcript of Cronin's comments:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2011/12/10/cincinnati-xavier-brawl-transcript-from-mick-cronins-press-conference/

Spoilered for length:

Mick, it looked like you were trying to call timeout. Did you see that (fight) coming?

Yeah, I was trying to call time out. I was trying to call time out so their players would go to their bench because the game was over. I saw them talking to our bench. I sawit. Of course, they were talking to assistant coaches. I don’t know who they were talking to, some of their players.

I saw it, tried to call timeout, but I had repeatedly asked the officials to stop it. That being said, there is no excuse for any of it. On our side, on their side, guys need to grow up. I am not blaming anybody from our standpoint, we accept full responsibility and it will be handled.

There is no excuse for that in basketball. You got to learn how to win on one side, you got to learn how to lose on the other side. All these kids all need to realize they are here to get an education. And playing in Europe isn’t really sexy. Eric Hicks just left to go to Israel. You think he wants to do that if he can get a good job over here?

These guys, very few of them are ever going to make a dollar playing basketball. They are here to get an education at two great universities and they need to appreciate that. The world don’t revolve around them, around basketball. They need to learn how to act, they need to have respect for the fact they are on a scholarship, that people come to see them play. That’s just the facts of college athletics.

I understand there is media and people asking for autographs, but it’s a prime example of guys thinking they are too important. And I am talking about everybody involved.

Too much glorification of all of sports in our society. The fact is, guys are here to get an education. They represent institutions of higher learning. Xavier has been a great school for years. We are trying to cure cancer at Cincinnati. I got to school at a place where they discovered the vaccine for polio and created Benadryl. I think that’s more important than who wins a basketball game. And our guys need to have appreciation for the fact they are there on a full scholarship. And they’re there to represent institutions with class and integrity. That’s that.

Now, what happened, I got to watch the tape, I’m like you guys. I saw it coming and tried to call a timeout. I saw it coming and I asked the officials to stop it. So if you are going to ask me where I am upset, that’s where I’m upset. With all due respect to the three guys, that’s where I’m upset the most.

(Lyons and Holloway seemed to delight in fact they were in fight. Did you tell players what you told us?)

Absolutely. My players don’t act the right way they will never play another game at Cincinnati. Right now, I just told my guys, I will meet with my AD and my president and I’m going to decide who is on the team going forward. That is what the University of Cincinnati is about. Period.

I’ve never been this embarrassed. I’m hoping President Williams doesn’t ask me to resign after that. We represent an institution of higher learning, it’s way more important than basketball games. Whoever puts that jersey back on – I made everybody take their jersey off and they will not put it on again until they have a full understanding of where they go to school and what the university stands for and how lucky they are to even be there, let alone have a scholarship, because there’s a whole lot of kids that can’t pay for college. And don’t get to go to school. My mom didn’t get to go to UC, she grew up on campus. They couldn’t afford it.

(You made your players take their jerseys off?)

Absolutely, they are all sitting in there with no jersey on. Some of them I physically took them off.

(You are going to go through the film and do your own investigation?)

Absolutely.

(Then the league will suspend guys?)

I have no idea. One thing that I hope that the people that I work for know is that as long as I am the coach they don’t have to worry about me doing the right thing and the program standing for certain things. And that might maybe be as sexy as some people want it, but that is how it’s going to be when I’m the coach. Period. They are not going to have to worry about that.

(This is the most agitate I’ve seen you. Is this the low point for you?)

You got to understand something. I represent the University of Cincinnati. That whole scene, it’s embarrassing, to be a part of that? Are you kidding me? It’s a complete embarrassment. No matter who started what. Just the whole thing, it’s a complete embarrassment. We talk all the time, toughness is doing the right thing in life. That is what we talk about. If that is the case, you are being provoked, this or that, true toughness, you walk away from it. You take your ass whipping and you go home. You get better.

Certain people want to act a certain way, that’s on them. If that’s who they want to be that’s on them. That is not what we are going to be. Period. That’s not what we are going to be. Am I agitated? Yes. Do I think my guys are somewhat responsible in some way, I don’t know who started it but I can tell you that is not what we are going to be about.

(Holloway said Kilpatick started it by disrespecting him on the radio)

That’s ridiculous. Grow up. Grow up, OK. Our sports information department made a mistake by putting him on with somebody that was going to provoke him. Read the statement. The kid said he was a great player to start off then people want to make something of it. I mean, who cares, at the end of the day. What’s that got to do anything? Go play the game.

Guys, there’s thousands of people in our country – watch 60 minutes – half of Orlando is homeless. You are not that important. None of us. Have some class. Represent your university and I am talking about everybody involved. Everybody involved. Let’s be honest, guys, come on. It’s a basketball game. That has nothing to do with it. He should never have been put in that situation, in an interview with somebody that going to just try to do that. But that’s got nothing to do with nothing and again if he wants to act like, my players need to handle themselves the way I expect the University of Cincinnati basketball team to handle themselves, regardless of the situation they are in. Period.

Represent our university. That is what I was hired to do six years ago. That’s what will happen as long as I’m the coach. Whether we have five guys on the team on Monday or 10 or 13. There is enough guys out there that would appreciate the scholarship. I don’t care how good you are. That whole scene is just an embarrassment. Guys think they are way too important in the scope of what is going on in the world. It’s not professional sports. Thanks guys.

dsa_shea
12-10-11, 08:25 PM
The Xavier players that commented after the game need to get a long suspension or even kicked off the team. To talk about being gangster or thug during a sporting event is inexcusable.

WallyOPD
12-10-11, 08:27 PM
KU demolished OSU apparently. Wow. 1st real road game will do that.

KU led the whole way but it wasn't a blowout. OSU was without Sullinger too, which had a lot to do with it.

Red Dog
12-10-11, 08:40 PM
If Cronin follows through after those words, wow, I would be very impressed.

Red Dog
12-10-11, 08:48 PM
LBSU gets some nice SOS points...had UNC sweating....but lost.

Red Dog
12-10-11, 08:52 PM
The sad thing is that is one of the best rivalries (non-conference no less) in college hoops and it will probably be done - at least for some years.

HistoryProf
12-10-11, 09:03 PM
:lol: at Crean after that shot went in....is it disbelief? a stroke?

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/604/23604/323027.jpg

Cory02
12-10-11, 09:08 PM
:lol: at Crean after that shot went in....is it disbelief? a stroke?

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/604/23604/323027.jpg

Disgust maybe? No matter what it is, its an awesome pic. :lol:

DGibFen
12-10-11, 09:38 PM
The Xavier players that commented after the game need to get a long suspension or even kicked off the team. To talk about being gangster or thug during a sporting event is inexcusable.

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab351/maine131/keeping-it-real.jpg

NORML54601
12-10-11, 11:16 PM
The bar I was in when IU won exploded which is strange since I'm in Wisconsin.

Decker
12-10-11, 11:58 PM
KU 4-year starting PG Tyshon Taylor out for 3 weeks with torn minescus and sprained MCL requiring knee surgery. Should be back for the conference opener against K State Jan 4.

HistoryProf
12-11-11, 12:49 AM
KU 4-year starting PG Tyshon Taylor out for 3 weeks with torn minescus and sprained MCL requiring knee surgery. Should be back for the conference opener against K State Jan 4.

KU fans might not be that upset by this news.

HistoryProf
12-11-11, 12:50 AM
Nice win for the Spartans tonight...I think it was only the 7th time Gonzaga has lost in that building out of 100 games...that will help immensely come March.

They are a young but very talented team. I felt it after the Duke game, but now I know it: They can be a special group.

The Cow
12-11-11, 12:58 AM
Disgust maybe? No matter what it is, its an awesome pic. :lol:

Disgust? :hscratch:

Watching the video, it's more of a "take that shit! we win." look and walk.

The Cow
12-11-11, 01:04 AM
The bar I was in when IU won exploded which is strange since I'm in Wisconsin.

Same here (Ohio). I think we have started feeling sorry for IU over the last few years somehow. But then again there is a lot of KY hate here too.

WallyOPD
12-11-11, 02:36 PM
Weak suspensions from Cincinnati, 6 games for Gates, Mbodj, and Ellis and 1 game for Guyn. Cronin can apparently talk big but has trouble backing it up.

bigsoos
12-11-11, 04:01 PM
Weak suspensions from Cincinnati, 6 games for Gates, Mbodj, and Ellis and 1 game for Guyn. Cronin can apparently talk big but has trouble backing it up.

6 games is very weak. I really hope Cronin adds on more.

sven
12-11-11, 04:06 PM
Same here (Ohio). I think we have started feeling sorry for IU over the last few years somehow. But then again there is a lot of KY hate here too.

Everyone hates the Mercenaries.

Plus it only helps the other Big 10 teams to have Indiana win this game. We are going to get 7 teams in easy this year.

MrX
12-11-11, 04:38 PM
Xavier suspends Holloway for a game, Lyons gets 2, Wells and some end of the bench scrub for 4.

Red Dog
12-11-11, 08:59 PM

6 games is a decent amt, but in the context of where they are in the season (I assume they are coming a very soft part of their schedule before conference play starts), it may not matter. I'm interested in seeing what the conferences do. My guess is nothing.

WallyOPD
12-11-11, 09:28 PM
The 6 game suspensions will cost them 1 Big East game. In that stretch they play 4 teams ranked 200 or worse on kenpom (3 of them 300+), plus a home game against Oklahoma. The Big East game is a roadie at Pitt.

In other news, Murray St. won at Memphis today to move to 10-0. They'll be favored in every game the rest of the year, although an undefeated record is still a long shot.