DVD Talk
Way to delete games, themes, and other stuff in Windows 7? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Way to delete games, themes, and other stuff in Windows 7?

namrfumot
12-03-11, 06:26 PM
I'm running out of HD space and I want to free up a little room - even if its just a little. Is there a utility or program that will allow me to delete all the unnecessary parts if Windows 7?

Things like:

games
themes
widgets
etc...

Brian Shannon
12-03-11, 06:34 PM
How exactly are you going to determine what is unnecessary in Windows 7?

The things you listed are not taking up hardly any space anyway.

You should go into the program uninstaller and uninstall programs you are not using and then look for large data files you do not need.

Or buy a large external hard drive.

fumanstan
12-03-11, 06:51 PM
For the games, you can go to Programs and Features, and on the left hand side go to Turn Windows Features on or off. You can de-select the Games there.

I agree that you won't really save much space though. Download something like WinDirStat and you can do an audit of your hard drive and see where most of the space is. I found things like the hibernation file being enabled on my desktop that would take up a few gigs that I never use.

Kdogg
12-03-11, 07:44 PM
Did you try clearing old system restore points? It will free up GBs of space. Also download and runn CCleaner. It will clear old log files, system dumps, etc. Just watch with options you choose to delete. I'd click everything and run the "analyze" button first and choose what you want to delete afterwards.

zuffy
12-03-11, 11:03 PM
Run Disk Cleanup

Superboy
12-04-11, 03:37 AM
Do you use programs like iTunes to access your library of music? because it tends to make duplicate music files, which eats up tons of hard drive space.

I've turned off most windows features on my netbook, but it doesn't save much hard drive space.

kd5
12-04-11, 08:47 AM
I'm running out of HD space and I want to free up a little room - even if its just a little. Is there a utility or program that will allow me to delete all the unnecessary parts if Windows 7?

Things like:

games
themes
widgets
etc...

What do you have saved on your computer that you're running out of hard drive space? Music? Movies? Or do you just have a ton of applications installed? Windows 7 computers typically come with anywhere from a 320gb hard drive up to a terrabyte +. If you've consumed that much hard drive space with music and/or movies, you really should buy an external hard drive (at least a 1.5tb) and move some of that stuff to the external hard drive. If you just have a ton of applications installed, I would seriously look at uninstalling the unnecessary ones. Disable then re-enable System Restore, run CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner), I've even run Cleanup! v3.1.2 (http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74) (by Stephen Gould) successfully on Windows 7 with no issues (even though it's not supposed to be approved for Vista/7), which found temp files in locations CCleaner missed.

As others have said, you won't gain much of anything disabling Windows features. -kd5-