Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : NFL-Too many celebrations?

dvd-4-life
11-30-11, 01:49 PM
I switched it over to the Bills/Jets game this past Sunday and I thought that the Bills had won the Super Bowl. Why not save the celebrations for the next time they win a play-off game? Can't remember the last time they won one.

I was watching MN/ATL this past Sunday and the Vikings center was out with an injury so Jared Allen took over because earlier in his career he played the position with the Chiefs. After he successfully centered the ball on an extra point,he celebrated like the Vikings just won the Super Bowl.
Did Jim Brown or Gale Sayers have a TD dance they performed after scoring?
I would love to see a head coach say no celebrations so his team doesn't have to worry about getting a 15 yd penalty.

I just think overall,it's starting to get out of hand. Players are suppose to catch the football,score touchdowns and tackle the opponent when playing defense. If a team is marching down the field on a winning TD drive late in the game,the defense shouldn't celebrate because they finally stopped the offense for one play(remember 49ers/Lions).

Goat3001
11-30-11, 02:01 PM
Celebrating scores and blatantly mocking your opponent are the best part of sports. There needs to be more of it. Sportsmanship is there to protect the losers from getting their feelings hurt... I say fuck em. If you can't win you should be openly mocked for it.

starman9000
11-30-11, 02:02 PM
I didn't mind Allen doing it so much at that point. I can't stand when he does his hog tie routine though.

Timber
11-30-11, 02:19 PM
I think there should be more celebrations. Seattle got a penalty for excessive celebration on a TD last week when the player fell backwards to the ground. I'm not sure why that's a penalty but Green Bay's excessive celebrations are "grandfathered in"?

Red Dog
11-30-11, 02:36 PM
The OP and Bob Costas should get a room together. ;)

FantasticVSDoom
11-30-11, 04:08 PM
Yeah, again more is better... This is sports. And I hate it when the NFL turns into the No Fun League. Its bad enough that most decent hits now are penalties.

fumanstan
11-30-11, 04:47 PM
I love TD celebrations. Watching TO and Ocho Cinco come up with creative stuff was always a lot of fun, and it's stupid that the NFL cracked down on those. The only thing that is a bit excessive to me are on some defensive plays. Maybe if you make a big play to force a 4th down or something, but some guys seem to celebrate on every tackle which is a bit much.

Tom Creo
11-30-11, 05:22 PM
I love the TD celebrations..........when they are good. That one that Seattle TE did a few weeks back, complete with jazz hands, was downright embarrassing. Now the 1st down celebration, I'm looking at you Donald Driver, needs to go.

Goat3001
11-30-11, 05:32 PM
The only thing that is a bit excessive to me are on some defensive plays. Maybe if you make a big play to force a 4th down or something, but some guys seem to celebrate on every tackle which is a bit much.

My favorite are the ones where the cornerback celebrates after getting beat badly by a receiver but the receiver just happened to drop it.

dvd-4-life
11-30-11, 05:43 PM
According to WFAN-NY,Stevie Jophnson just got fined 10 grand for celebrating for the Bills. I can see the Bills 2011 highlight film title-The Buffalo Bills-Too Busy Celebrating too win football games.

fumanstan
11-30-11, 05:45 PM
Yes, because that's why they're losing games. They're too busy celebrating.

dvd-4-life
11-30-11, 05:53 PM
Yes, because that's why they're losing games. They're too busy celebrating.

Why did Stevie Johnson drop the game winning TD pass? He was probably too busy thinking of his next dance move. Mike Francesa (WFAN-NY) called him a Jackass.

Deftones
11-30-11, 05:55 PM
well that settles it. If Francesa called him a jackass, it's truth.

LurkerDan
11-30-11, 06:52 PM
My favorite are the ones where the cornerback celebrates after getting beat badly by a receiver but the receiver just happened to drop it.

or make a tackle after the player had a 10+ yard gain.

WCChiCubsFan
11-30-11, 07:13 PM
I donít mind genuine spur of the moment celebrations after a score. All of us who have played sports on any level understand those but the over the top rehearsed celebrations like the ones the Redskins used to do, and which directly lead to the rules changes, are pathetic.

Others that fall into the pathetic category are ones after a sack when your team is getting itsí ass beat in the game. Really you are losing yet you are celebrating?

davidh777
11-30-11, 08:02 PM
If a team is marching down the field on a winning TD drive late in the game,the defense shouldn't celebrate because they finally stopped the offense for one play(remember 49ers/Lions).

Wasn't that a game-deciding stop, though? That makes sense to celebrate, though of course they could have done better earlier to not put themselves in that position.

Jim Harbaugh certainly got excited about it, as we know.

fumanstan
11-30-11, 08:08 PM
Why did Stevie Johnson drop the game winning TD pass? He was probably too busy thinking of his next dance move.

Do you really think that's the case?

DthRdrX
11-30-11, 08:18 PM
You know what the worst thing is about the No Fun League since they started cracking down on players celebrating? It's that stupid jump up and bump your teammate crap that EVERYONE does now. I can't stand that.

My Other Self
11-30-11, 08:25 PM
Stevie calls in every Monday morning to the local sports station in Buffalo and his explanation was that it was simply a rib because he felt if Burress got a TD first he would do the same to Johnson. So to him it was a sign of respect - "more of that Jets/Bills rivalry"as he put it. He doesn't feel he was in the wrong and he felt that he deserved to do a dance or whatever since he's worked so hard this season to get where he is (his words).

I'm not against touchdown celebrations, who cares. I wasn't even offended by Johnson's -- I thought it was hilarious. I just don't like ignorance and that's what Stevie has a lot of..

and he blamed that dropped pass on both himself and Fitz. He said it's equal blame.

fujishig
11-30-11, 08:36 PM
I thought he got the penalty because he went to the ground, which i assume is the same reason for that Seattle player falling backwards. I have no idea why that's against the rules, though.

I'm fine with the celebrations. I wish the NCAA loosened up their stance a bit too.

Timber
12-01-11, 09:49 AM
I thought he got the penalty because he went to the ground, which i assume is the same reason for that Seattle player falling backwards. I have no idea why that's against the rules, though.

It's the NFL's way for curtailing celebrations without affecting Green Bay's celebrations. Makes no sense at all to me.

Goat3001
12-01-11, 10:16 AM
and he blamed that dropped pass on both himself and Fitz. He said it's equal blame.

Stevie Johnson is a jackass but not because of the TD celebration, but because he actually said this.

CRM114
12-01-11, 10:34 AM
I HATE the celebration and taunting rules in the NFL.

Concrete Charlie agrees:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0809/mlb.yankee.stadium.moments/images/00.001074864Finalfinal.jpg

dvd-4-life
12-01-11, 12:50 PM
Wasn't that a game-deciding stop, though? That makes sense to celebrate, though of course they could have done better earlier to not put themselves in that position.

Jim Harbaugh certainly got excited about it, as we know.

The 49ers were going downfield basically non-stop and the Lions finally stopped them on one play and they then decided they were Kings of the World. Of course,they lost. The Lions did get the ball back,but didn't score.

davidlynchfan
12-07-11, 12:36 PM
Victor Cruz' celebration dance should be crack down and be banned.

Red Dog
12-07-11, 12:46 PM
Tolbert's dance the other night was hilarious.

Quake1028
12-07-11, 03:41 PM
BOSTON -- A Massachusetts high school lost a state championship game because a player raised his arm in triumph as he ran for what would have been a go-ahead touchdown, and Boston mayor Thomas Menino doesn't like it.

The penalty for the gesture by Cathedral High School quarterback Matthew Owens in Saturday's Division 4A Super Bowl led to the losing team wondering if the referee's decision could be challenged. The state association said Wednesday that it could not.

"I think sometimes these rules are written by frustrated athletes," Menino said from Cathedral, according to Wednesday's Boston Herald. "They never participated in a sport, and they don't know what it is to be excited. You play in a football game, you run for a touchdown, and you do something special."

Blue Hills Regional Technical School athletic director Ed Catabia told The Boston Globe on Sunday that the referee made "a great call, the right call."

"We try and play by the rules, and the rule is 'no celebrating,' " he said.

The referee was enforcing a sportsmanship rule that prohibits players from celebratory or taunting behavior while scoring a touchdown.

The 18-year-old senior was racing for a score as time wound down in the game against Blue Hills. Video shows Owens briefly raising his left arm and then lowering it as he approaches the end zone. The penalty nullified the touchdown, and Cathedral lost the game 16-14.

And the Massachusetts InterScholastic Athletic Association said the call will not be overturned.

"There is no provision in MIAA rules (or rules for any other sport at any other level) to overturn an officials' call after a game has been concluded," the organization said in a statement Wednesday. "Once the final whistle is sounded the game is over."

Cathedral's athletic director James Lynch said the quarterback's instinctive move to raise his hand for a few strides as he approached the end zone could not be reasonably interpreted as excessive celebration, taunting or malicious.

"I just give people the analogy: Imagine a basketball player making a clutch 3-pointer right at the end of the game, and he turns around and he just kind of shakes his fist in the air kind of thing," Lynch told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "And it was simply just that and it was nothing else. ... I don't think it was anything further than just excitement on the player's behalf."

Lynch added: "I think it was a wrong interpretation of the rule and I think that our players handled themselves in a sportsmanship manner ... for respecting the other team when they received the trophy in the award ceremony and how they handled themselves and how they composed themselves during the game."

Menino also praised the team for how they handled the situation and said he will treat them all to lunch. But he still doesn't understand how it happened.

"This kid was 18 years old, his birthday, running for the Super Bowl championship," Menino said, according to the Herald. "You wouldn't be a human being if you didn't show some expression."

Menino said that he thinks the MIAA should review the rule, though he added that he has no say.

"I'm not interested in getting into a back-and-forth with the mayor," MIAA spokesman Paul Wetzel said, according to the Herald. "He may be right (about the rule being written by people who have never played the game) for all I know, but I doubt it."

He said touchdown celebrations were "getting out of hand" before the rule was adopted.

"We're very concerned about high school students adopting things they see in the professional leagues," he added.

Lynch said about a dozen football players are also on the basketball team and they reported for basketball tryouts and "just kind of moved past it. They understand that it was definitely a controversial call and something that should be looked into."

The MIAA statement Wednesday said a lesson could be learned from the situation.

"Losing a game, having an official's call go against you, even occasionally having an officials' mistake go against you or your team are all part of sports," the statement read. "Athletic officials try hard to do the best job possible but they are human. Athletes must learn to put these things behind them and move forward. During their lifetime they will experience similar situations where they feel 'wronged' by a superior or authority figure and they must learn to deal with that situation."

Noonan
12-07-11, 03:43 PM
They showed that play on the news here. The kid literally just raised his hand up in excitement for a quick second before the endzone. Total BS.

Here's a link with a video:
http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/extras/schools_blog/2011/12/for_cathedral_l.html?p1=Upbox_links

fumanstan
12-07-11, 04:48 PM
Wow, that's retarded.

I imagine dvd-4-life fully supports this.

LurkerDan
12-07-11, 04:55 PM
It's also retarded that the call disallows the TD, rather than being tacked on to the extra point or kickoff.

Red Dog
12-07-11, 04:59 PM
Bob Costas likely quietly celebrated the HS disallowed TD.

TheKing
12-09-11, 11:22 PM
Celebration penalties rank right up there with the NBA dress code in terms of stupidity and uselessness.

Many NBA players are still gangstas, putting a suit on them doesn't change that. And the celebration penalties do nothing except add another disconnect between players and fans.

If anything, there should be more celebrating, trash-talking, and general hooligany in sports. Sports were much more fun when there was more hatred and less mutual respect. To me, it's this kind of stuff that shows a player actually cares about winning, or at least performing well.

PopcornTreeCt
12-10-11, 03:44 AM
Celebration penalties rank right up there with the NBA dress code in terms of stupidity and uselessness.

Many NBA players are still gangstas, putting a suit on them doesn't change that. And the celebration penalties do nothing except add another disconnect between players and fans.

If anything, there should be more celebrating, trash-talking, and general hooligany in sports. Sports were much more fun when there was more hatred and less mutual respect. To me, it's this kind of stuff that shows a player actually cares about winning, or at least performing well.

I agree. I think the "more hatred and less mutual respect" aspect is still alive and well in the NFL and part of the reason why it's so awesome. It's annoying though when you see guys talking and laughing with guys from the other teams, you wish that they were as passionate for their team as you are.