Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Which Panasonic 60" Plasma to get?

X
11-29-11, 09:58 PM
It's $1200 at Costco. I'm looking for a good low light-level picture since it will mostly be used at night in a darkened bedroom. Don't need any real bells and whistles, in fact I'd be just as happy if there weren't any internet junk on it. I don't care about sound on it very much.

I do want subtitles to be easily readable. My 42" LCD is somewhat deficient in that area at low light output.

Is there a better alternative?

Now I'm looking at one of these:
Panasonic 60" Class Viera® ST30 Series HDTV 3D - $1500
Panasonic 60" Class Viera® GT30 Series Plasma - $2000

Nick Martin
11-29-11, 10:16 PM
When I mentioned ordering a new Panasonic plasma in the thread below this one, I ordered the 50 inch version of the same model number. TC-P50ST30. It's a 3D panel, though.

Funny coincidence.

Chances are the vast majority of TVs now have the added internet capabilities so finding a TV without that might not be easy with the better brands out there.

X
11-29-11, 10:23 PM
Panasonic has a couple models above the P60S30 and they're 3D. They're supposed to have a better screen, but I don't care about the 3D so I won't pay for that capability. And I just won't be using the internet features, but I suppose I'll have to pay for them with whatever I get.

Nick Martin
11-30-11, 12:48 AM
I didn't care about the 3D either, it was purely based on cost. A 50-inch TV with all those bells and whistles for less than any of the Sony LED-backlit TVs which are smaller and what I originally was trying to get. Couldn't beat that kind of deal.

I hope that the claim to quality that Panasonic has as Pioneer's sucessor still rings true, and that the issues plasmas have are really a thing of the past.

Numanoid
11-30-11, 06:15 PM
I haven't viewed that model personally but while researching my purchase this year I found that the Panasonic Vieras (the "S" series is the low-end of the Viera line) are generally considered to have the best picture available, alongside the current Samsung models. I don't think I ever read a single review where the buyer was disappointed.

Nick Martin
11-30-11, 07:07 PM
Excellent. :)

Finally entering 1080p territory when this thing arrives. About damn time.

X
11-30-11, 07:14 PM
I haven't viewed that model personally but while researching my purchase this year I found that the Panasonic Vieras (the "S" series is the low-end of the Viera line) are generally considered to have the best picture available, alongside the current Samsung models. I don't think I ever read a single review where the buyer was disappointed.Yes, I'm seeing reviews that have the Samsung rated a bit higher. But it seems they cost around twice as much too. Except for this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+59%22+Class+/+Plasma+/+1080p+/+600Hz+/+3D+/+HDTV/2146553.p?id=1218318916153&skuId=2146553

I'll have to look into that model.

Kicker_of_Elves
11-30-11, 10:39 PM
I'm picking up a 55GT30 tomorrow after months of research I felt like it was the best tv for my needs. I have no interest in 3D but have read that 3D tech helps improve 2D picture so I'm fine having that feature. I'd consider an ST30 rather than an S series X, the S series are at the lower end of the Panasonic line and the S series just wasn't impressive after seeing it in person. Amazon recently had a 60ST30 for sale for $1384.96 shipped too, so prices are dropping on all the lines.

Also if you qualify for Panasonic EPP you get even better pricing on their sets too, you might want to check into it.

Numanoid
12-03-11, 05:14 PM
Yes, I'm seeing reviews that have the Samsung rated a bit higher. But it seems they cost around twice as much too. Except for this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+59%22+Class+/+Plasma+/+1080p+/+600Hz+/+3D+/+HDTV/2146553.p?id=1218318916153&skuId=2146553

I'll have to look into that model.The general rule is that the 2010 model Panasonics were the best, but the 2011 model Samsungs took back the crown.

I have a similar model Samsung (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MNADZS/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details) and it is amazing. I didn't really care about 3D, but I love it now that I have it.

Duh Vuh Duh
12-05-11, 01:44 PM
The general rule is that the 2010 model Panasonics were the best, but the 2011 model Samsungs took back the crown.

I have a similar model Samsung (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MNADZS/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details) and it is amazing. I didn't really care about 3D, but I love it now that I have it.

Numanoid, asked you in the other thread, but was curious what you paid for it, I think I have it narrowed down to that one and maybe the ST30 by panny.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/594669-recommendation-new-tv.html

Numanoid
12-05-11, 11:55 PM
I paid $1700 back in July, but that was a promo with two pair of glasses, a blu-ray player, and several 3D movies.

Duh Vuh Duh
12-06-11, 09:22 AM
I paid $1700 back in July, but that was a promo with two pair of glasses, a blu-ray player, and several 3D movies.

Cool thanks for the info. and you like the tv so far?

spainlinx0
12-06-11, 09:35 AM
I just purchased the 60ST30. I haven't checked out any of the 3D features since they weren't included, and I haven't wanted to pay for the glasses and a new BR player.

I really love the picture when it comes to videogames, BR movies, and even Netflix streaming looks great.

However, I have been a little disappointed with the NFL on Fios. I don't know if it's the signal or the TV. There seems to be a lack of clarity compared to other sources, but it does vary by the camera used so I'm not sure what the problem is. What is that site that people use to set their picture settings?

Imprint
12-06-11, 11:02 AM
I have U-verse and the image is soft, and I notice it more during football games.

The site with tv settings is tweaktv.com.

Nick Martin
12-06-11, 11:13 AM
Never heard of TweakTV, so thanks for that tip :)

I'll try it out when my 50ST30 arrives.

Numanoid
12-06-11, 11:43 AM
Cool thanks for the info. and you like the tv so far?Absolutely. I have no complaints, and only praise. I got some tweak settings form AVSforum and they looked excellent to me, so I didn't have to spend a whole lot of time adjusting every little thing. The picture is perfect, and the 3D is fantastic. I can even run the 2D to 3D conversion on streaming Netflix movies, and it looks pretty good, which surprised me.

I use mine with a home theater PC, and the PC image is immaculate, and HD via Windows Media Center is perfect (Comcast). If you plan to connect a PC to the TV, just make sure you connect it to the "PC (DVI)" port (I think it's called)...I think it's input 3. The plain "PC" port is not HD.

The only weird thing my set does is when it's been on for a while, like 20 or 30 minutes, the back cover is obviously heating up and it makes a "pop" as some part of the metal buckles a little due to expansion. It's not super loud or anything, but I notice it. Strangely, I don't notice it "unpop" when it cools down. Could be a result of the mount I'm using. I have it pretty snug to the wall.

Nick Martin
12-06-11, 02:15 PM
When it comes to using the different settings, since there can be subtle differences with each site or forum they can be found on, I guess it's a matter of trying them all and seeing which you like best?

Take for example Home Theater Magazine's site, which has settings after every review. I looked at those and they are very slightly different to the ones I've seen today on the TweakTV site for the TV I'm getting, and there are probably different settings on forums as well. Guess the upside is having a lot of options since they've been tested and shared over time by many.

djbrown
12-06-11, 02:28 PM
I've had the 65ST30 for about the last three months and have NO regrets about taking the plunge. My old set was a 65" Hitachi RPTV.

spainlinx0
12-06-11, 11:02 PM
Absolutely. I have no complaints, and only praise. I got some tweak settings form AVSforum and they looked excellent to me, so I didn't have to spend a whole lot of time adjusting every little thing. The picture is perfect, and the 3D is fantastic. I can even run the 2D to 3D conversion on streaming Netflix movies, and it looks pretty good, which surprised me.

I use mine with a home theater PC, and the PC image is immaculate, and HD via Windows Media Center is perfect (Comcast). If you plan to connect a PC to the TV, just make sure you connect it to the "PC (DVI)" port (I think it's called)...I think it's input 3. The plain "PC" port is not HD.

The only weird thing my set does is when it's been on for a while, like 20 or 30 minutes, the back cover is obviously heating up and it makes a "pop" as some part of the metal buckles a little due to expansion. It's not super loud or anything, but I notice it. Strangely, I don't notice it "unpop" when it cools down. Could be a result of the mount I'm using. I have it pretty snug to the wall.

I couldn't find the settings on AVSforums. Do you happen to have a link?

JayDerek
12-07-11, 09:34 AM
I'm looking at getting a 60" Panasonic Plasma in a month or two...either the ST or the GT model.

In looking over the AVS forum - seems like a lot of people there are running 100 hours of the 'slides' to break in the Plasma sets.

Has anyone here done that? Or is it pretty much a waste of time?

Nick Martin
12-07-11, 11:16 AM
What slides? Is this a feature on the television itself?

There are so many odd terms associated with these things it's impossible to know them all.

Talkin2Phil
12-07-11, 11:32 AM
There is some strange religion on the AVS site. I got a G25 series plasma year ago, the last thing i wanted to do is wait 4 days with slides playing before enjoying my new toy. I mixed in watching animation/cartoons with movies and tv, thinking maybe the solid background colors and stuff would approximate some things the slides would do. A year later i'm still amazed by the image quality. I love my plasma. Enjoy yours.

JayDerek
12-07-11, 12:59 PM
Thank you. I consider this place much more 'real world' than AVS so I wanted to check.

AVS does have good threads on different settings to try for various TV's but wading through the garbage can be tough

spainlinx0
12-07-11, 02:35 PM
I ignored the break-in period stuff. I wanted to watch TV and play videogames.

The thread is 200 pages. I didn't even know where to begin to find the settings.

Kicker_of_Elves
12-07-11, 05:09 PM
In looking over the AVS forum - seems like a lot of people there are running 100 hours of the 'slides' to break in the Plasma sets.

I'm running them right now on my 55GT30, on my last night of running them and 91 Hrs in so far. I'm planning to use my TV for gaming heavily so I decided to run the slides. I kept reading that the first 100 hrs are when the TV has a high chance of burn in, so that made my decision for me easily.

What slides? Is this a feature on the television itself?

There are so many odd terms associated with these things it's impossible to know them all.

There's a professional calibrator on the AVS board who offers his settings but requires people using his settings to run color slides for 100hrs before using them. Alot of people use them to get past the first 100hrs where burn in is most likely to happen.

His words:

Recommended 100 Hour Panel Prep Settings for North American Panasonic TC-PxxST30/GT30/VT30 models (ONLY to be used with Evangelo's USB/SD Card files!!!!!!!!)

*****Note: This procedure is designed to prepare your display for the reference settings listed below by aging all pixels equally with the same content. This procedure is NOT designed nor recommended to be used as Break-in, Image Retention and/or Burn-in prevention.*****

The name of the calibrator is D-Nice and you can find his settings for the 2011 Panasonic's and info about the color slides there at: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1371710

Nick Martin
12-07-11, 05:26 PM
^^ Okay, thanks for the info. I'll be-a-readin'.

:)

Duh Vuh Duh
12-08-11, 10:06 AM
Absolutely. I have no complaints, and only praise. I got some tweak settings form AVSforum and they looked excellent to me, so I didn't have to spend a whole lot of time adjusting every little thing. The picture is perfect, and the 3D is fantastic. I can even run the 2D to 3D conversion on streaming Netflix movies, and it looks pretty good, which surprised me.

Numanoid, thanks for the info and review, good stuff to know because when I finally do pull the trigger I probably will hook up my media center pc to it.

kahuna
12-08-11, 02:01 PM
I'm looking at getting a 60" Panasonic Plasma in a month or two...either the ST or the GT model.

I ran those slides for 150 hours on the Panny TC-P50S30 when I first brought it. I still had my 46" Samsung LCD hooked before I gave it to my brother and his wife so I still had a tv to watch.

Numanoid
12-08-11, 06:36 PM
I ran the slides myself, but I had the TV for a week or so before I was able to install it (due to a remodel), so it was sitting around doing nothing anyway. I doubt that in the long run it's really necessary (unless you're going to be gaming for hours on end right out of the box), but I have better peace of mind knowing that I did it.

Numanoid
12-08-11, 06:40 PM
I couldn't find the settings on AVSforums. Do you happen to have a link?I have a different TV than you, so I don't know if those would like right on yours. Here's the thread for MY set, the Samsung PN59D6500: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1324383

And here's the calibration thread for the Panny ST30s: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1338491&highlight=60st30

Nick Martin
12-08-11, 07:11 PM
My 50ST30 isn't scheduled to be here until around Christmas Eve, so at the least this is all good information to gather well in advance.

X
12-28-11, 02:09 PM
Any suggestions between these two?

Or is this the one to get?
Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT30 - $3000

Brian Shannon
12-28-11, 02:14 PM
Any suggestions between these two?

The GT is the better of the two spec wise, guess it depends on how critical you are.

I have a two week old P50GT30 that is fantastic

Bill Geiger
12-28-11, 08:09 PM
A fan of LG?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1156023/

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889005260&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Plasma-_-LG%20ELECTRONICS-_-89005260&AID=10440897&PID=268435&SID=998

Hadrian7
12-28-11, 10:29 PM
I've got both a 50" ST30 and the 60" GT30 and I can tell the difference between the two screens. Others that I have brought over can sometimes tell the difference and sometimes can't. For me I would get the GT, but honestly, you are not losing much if you decide for the ST. Both are great plasmas.

X
12-29-11, 05:07 PM
I guess I just eliminated the Panasonics from my list.

I tried out a computer on the GT30 and VT30 series and couldn't get 1920x1080 HDMI output to fit properly on the screen. It was maybe 3 or 4 pixels off on each side, sometimes the left would be fine, but then the right would be cut off by 6-8 pixels. It was doing some interpolation of the signal that I couldn't find out how to turn off because text was a little fuzzy as well.

Spiky
12-29-11, 10:37 PM
Did it actually say 1920x1080 after handshaking? On both machines? I've seen similar issues many times, it usually ends up being the computer more than the TV. (graphics card settings, refresh rate my first guess) Eventually I've usually found something that works. But you never know, HDMI is funky.

Brian Shannon
12-30-11, 06:09 AM
I guess I just eliminated the Panasonics from my list.

I tried out a computer on the GT30 and VT30 series and couldn't get 1920x1080 HDMI output to fit properly on the screen. It was maybe 3 or 4 pixels off on each side, sometimes the left would be fine, but then the right would be cut off by 6-8 pixels. It was doing some interpolation of the signal that I couldn't find out how to turn off because text was a little fuzzy as well.

That can be adjusted in the settings menu

X
12-30-11, 11:04 AM
That can be adjusted in the settings menuI'd love to know what settings.

I changed to Full aspect ratio and HD Size two. I tried just about every other combination as well. The screen shifted a bit when I turned off the orbiter, but still didn't perfectly map. I turned down sharpness, but didn't try the edge enhancement setting.

I tried 59, 60, and 24 Hz settings on the computer, no overscan or aspect ratio scaling on it. The display settings reported 1920x1080 and reported the set as a Panasonic. The computer works perfectly on another 24" (LCD) via HDMI.

Text from the computer appeared somewhat ghosted. I wonder if plasma doesn't produce as perfect, to the pixel, image as LCD. Maybe it's more like a CRT because several cells have to be turned on and you have to be further back to make them appear more like one.

Ranger
12-30-11, 12:38 PM
Yeah, HDMI is tricky with computers. Doesn't seem to work right half the time with the laptops with HDMI. Wouldn't blame the tv.

But have you tried a restart? When yiou first turn on the pc, you have the wrong screen, but on a reboot, it might correct itself. Sometimes, that's the only way I can get it to work.

X
12-30-11, 12:45 PM
Yeah, HDMI is tricky with computers. Doesn't seem to work right half the time with the laptops with HDMI. Wouldn't blame the tv.

But have you tried a restart? When yiou first turn on the pc, you have the wrong screen, but on a reboot, it might correct itself. Sometimes, that's the only way I can get it to work.I tried a resume from sleep. I did find a reference that said you could turn off the TV and then turn it back on and it would sync to the computer. But it didn't help.

The thing that's particularly bad is that you don't have VGA as a backup input method. It takes PC input, but the maximum resolution the TV accepts is 1,366 × 768. -confused-

I don't think they're there yet in terms of HTPC/computer usage.

Brian Shannon
12-30-11, 01:16 PM
I'd love to know what settings.

I changed to Full aspect ratio and HD Size two. I tried just about every other combination as well.

Ok sounds like you may have it covered.

I can check it out at home and see what it shows. I did not realize it would be off by that much as I noticed a similar thing with my dvr source and by bd source. It took a few tweaks to get the image correct on each input.

Also does you laptop have a video card or onboard video? Just wondering if that might be part of the mismatch?

X
12-30-11, 01:49 PM
I was using a netbook with integrated video (AMD/ATI) that works fine with that 24" set. It does have adjustments, but it's not obviously the best video in the world. I can bring another laptop with Intel video, but I don't think I want to bring a desktop PC with nVidia video, which I trust most.

I'm thinking now that it probably did give me 1:1 pixel mapping but computer text just looks crappy close-up with a plasma.

tlwizard
12-30-11, 06:33 PM
I have the 60GT30 and love it. Got it from Amazon for around 1500 after price-matching to US Appliance and selling off the free blu-ray player.

Also have 1080 running just fine from my Dell Zino HTPC.

X
12-30-11, 06:47 PM
How do you know it's 1:1 pixel mapped?

Spiky
12-30-11, 11:59 PM
I wonder if plasma doesn't produce as perfect, to the pixel, image as LCD. Maybe it's more like a CRT because several cells have to be turned on and you have to be further back to make them appear more like one.
That shouldn't be it. Then every 1080 source would look like garbage.

I couldn't get my 720p projector (an older Panny, as it happens) to work properly with 720 output from a couple different computers, both Win and Mac. They did very similar things to what you described above. Had to use other resolutions that didn't use all the pixels or other problems. Got a new computer (this wasn't why), plugged it in and standard 720 over HDMI worked instantaneously.

But, yeah, if it isn't going to work, it isn't. That may be a deal-breaker.

X
12-31-11, 12:14 AM
That shouldn't be it. Then every 1080 source would look like garbage.I don't think that's the case. There's a real big difference between what looks good in reproducing computer text type output and computer movie output. I can play Blu-ray output from a computer on a TV and have it look great even if I can't get 1:1 pixel mapping and would get cross-eyed trying to read text on the TV.

I'm beginning to think there's a reason why you don't see plasma computer monitors. Like any. The dithering, as with a CRT, is probably a big reasyon why (other than burn-in of course).

Ranger
12-31-11, 12:35 AM
Try vga on the panny?

X
12-31-11, 12:36 AM
I didn't bring a cable, but the manual says it only does 1366 x 768 as I posted earlier.

ChristianB
01-01-12, 05:46 PM
Ordered the TCP55GT30 on Friday, and getting it delivered this coming weekend. Can't wait! :)

tlwizard
01-03-12, 12:18 AM
How do you know it's 1:1 pixel mapped?I guess I don't. I'm not back home until the 6th, but is there a way I can check or are there any tests I can run for you?

nando820
01-06-12, 11:44 AM
Just an FYI Frys has for sale this week Panasonic THX certified TC-P65VT30 for $2,799.00. My dad and I recently got one and I humbly believe is the most beautiful TV I have ever laid my eyes on..-rolleyes-

http://www.frys.com/product/6629194?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

PS: Bestbuy also has it on sale for $2,999 on their website. But I have noticed twice already that their Magnolia store sections actually have a lower pricepoint than they display on the Bestbuy website. So who knows it just might be lower...

X
01-06-12, 12:40 PM
I believe you can pricematch with Amazon and get it for $100 or $200 less. Depends on whether they pricematch the particular store. I've seen reference to people getting it for around $2500.

X
01-06-12, 12:45 PM
I guess I don't. I'm not back home until the 6th, but is there a way I can check or are there any tests I can run for you?I think it may be difficult to test this. Obviously, if the entire content of a 1920x1080 screen isn't shown, it's not 1:1 pixel mapped. But it still could be interpreted, meaning each pixel isn't specifically mapped to a particular pixel because it's processed internally.

With a LCD you can see it pretty easily. A dot on an "i" will take up one and only one pixel. Adjacent pixels will not show any of it. Vertical or horizontal lines will not bleed over as shadows to adjacent pixels.

But I think the plasma, due to not having the same type of individual pixels as a LCD makes it harder to tell. You probably have to stand back a bit and just see if it looks good to you. I had been standing very close to the screen (as you would do with a LCD) and wasn't satisfied.

tlwizard
01-06-12, 02:55 PM
Just got home and standing up close or far away, everything looks crisp and clean to me. I don't know if it has anything to do with the video card in my htpc or not (ATI Radeon 5450 I believe.) But that's just my experience to report. I also don't know if I have one of the newer panels or not (or the engine update) that addressed the brightness fluctuation. I assume I do, since I haven't had that problem at all, but I wonder if that might help what you've been seeing as well.

X
01-06-12, 03:40 PM
So you wouldn't have any problem using it as a computer monitor? Text looks crisp and clear enough?

tlwizard
01-06-12, 10:53 PM
So you wouldn't have any problem using it as a computer monitor? Text looks crisp and clear enough?I do some web-browsing on it, but nothing longer than 30 minutes at a time. My girlfriend has played Civ V on it and loved it. We do youtube videos and hulu and all that. And I think as I mentioned earlier I use it to stream movies from my server. Both the movies and the Media Center and HTPC skins look great. I haven't done any word-processing or anything along those lines, but it's been crisp and clear, yes. I feel like if I using it as a computer monitor all day long, then I might up text to 125% since I sit about 10 feet away. At 30 minutes at a time, though, 100% is more than fine for me.

Sdallnct
01-08-12, 08:40 PM
Panasonic PT-AR100U

X
01-08-12, 09:43 PM
Panasonic PT-AR100UI'm not really interested in putting a projector in my bedroom.

soundman2
01-09-12, 02:35 PM
I was at Best Buy looking at some TVs. Sometime in future considering upgrade.
I looked at Panasonic VT30 55 and 65 inch - I was blown away by the picture!! I know VT line is their top of the line. But it looked very life like with amazing blacks. They have them in the Magnolia section, of course they are calibrated to give best picture possible.
I checked price on 55 inch it seems to come up $2149 at both Amazon and BB online, But If I recall correctly may have been $2000 in the store.

Spiky
01-09-12, 04:58 PM
They have them in the Magnolia section, of course they are calibrated to give best picture possible.

Really? When did they start doing that?

Numanoid
01-09-12, 11:00 PM
I use my Samsung PN59D6500 as a computer monitor (with an HTPC) in full 1920x1080 and it's beautiful. But as I said earlier, you have to use a specific input to achieve that, ironically NOT the one labelled "PC".

Brian Shannon
01-10-12, 06:34 AM
I saw the same sets at that store and while they did look good I really doubt that anything has been calibrated

soundman2
01-10-12, 08:45 AM
The sales guy at Magnolia was friendly and a spent a good amount of time chatting. No pressure to sell just answering whatever questions I asked him. He did seem to know his stuff. I usually stroll in there just for fun. I did find a good deal on a new Onkyo receiver under $800 ( NR3007) there last year, when I was least expecting it. ( sorry to go off topic)

So he showed me two sets ( 42inch) one calibrated and one uncalibrated sitting side by side. And mentioned they calibrated their top TVs - of course I am taking his word for it :) but then again, they also sell their calibration package !!

TheBigDave
02-01-12, 05:36 PM
Amazon has dropped the price on the Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST30 60-Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3D Plasma HDTV down to $1,249.98.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P60ST30-60-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004MME774/

nando820
02-02-12, 11:21 AM
The sales guy at Magnolia was friendly and a spent a good amount of time chatting. No pressure to sell just answering whatever questions I asked him. He did seem to know his stuff. I usually stroll in there just for fun. I did find a good deal on a new Onkyo receiver under $800 ( NR3007) there last year, when I was least expecting it. ( sorry to go off topic)

So he showed me two sets ( 42inch) one calibrated and one uncalibrated sitting side by side. And mentioned they calibrated their top TVs - of course I am taking his word for it :) but then again, they also sell their calibration package !!

9.2 channels!!! thats insane! me wants!!

X
02-02-12, 11:46 AM
Amazon has dropped the price on the Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST30 60-Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3D Plasma HDTV down to $1,249.98.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P60ST30-60-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004MME774/I see the TC-P65VT30 is available for around $2500 as well. Amazon will price match one of the sellers.

I think they're trying to clear out the 2011 models to make room for the 2012 ones.

K&AJones
02-02-12, 04:19 PM
As Big Dave has noted that ST30 60' is a heack-of-a-deal. The ST30's have several positive reviews. I picked up the 55" GT30 but I see the price has gone back up $250!! They're becoming scarce. Besides the Panny 60" ST30 iId consider that Samsung 59" D6500 as well. It's one step below the highly rated D7000 and at under $1500.00 that's not bad either. But I'm partial to Panasonic. But that under $1300 for the ST30 won't last long.

TheBigDave
02-02-12, 04:39 PM
Amazon has run out of stock on the ST30. Good thing I got my order in yesterday morning.

You can get it for the same price at Costco.com ($1200 + $50 Shipping). Costco also extends the warranty to 2 years with an option to add an extra 3 years coverage for $100. And they accept returns for 90 days.

I would've bought it at Costco, but I had a bunch of Amazon GC saved up.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11748470&search=TC-P60ST30&topnav=&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=TC-P60ST30&Ntt=TC-P60ST30&No=0&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial

TheBigDave
02-03-12, 10:56 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P60ST30-60-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004MME774/

This is back In Stock at Amazon if anyone missed it.

TAC
02-04-12, 12:08 AM
This is back In Stock at Amazon if anyone missed it.

Does this tv put off alot of heat? And does it have a loud buzzing sound? My 50 inch Samsung Plasma has both problems. Thanks

K&AJones
02-05-12, 09:16 AM
Does this tv put off alot of heat? And does it have a loud buzzing sound? My 50 inch Samsung Plasma has both problems. Thanks

I've read over in the VS forums some have mentioned buszing but most have said they don't hear anything from where they sit. I have new Panasonic GT30 and don't hear a thing. And heat....nothing much and nothing like the older Plasmas of yesterday. Any doubt go in a B.B store in the evening when the TV's have been on for6-8 hrs straight and hold your hand up 9"-12" away. Hardly nothing. At leas the Panasonic was that way.

TAC
02-05-12, 09:48 AM
I've read over in the VS forums some have mentioned buszing but most have said they don't hear anything from where they sit. I have new Panasonic GT30 and don't hear a thing. And heat....nothing much and nothing like the older Plasmas of yesterday. Any doubt go in a B.B store in the evening when the TV's have been on for6-8 hrs straight and hold your hand up 9"-12" away. Hardly nothing. At leas the Panasonic was that way.

Thanks

JimRochester
02-05-12, 01:49 PM
My Panasonic Plasma is from 2007 but it has been a great set. All I did was make sure I changed up what I was watching the first week or so. so there wasn't too much of one ratio. Nothing too stagnant, not too many 2.35 or 1.33 images and I used tweaktv to get a setting

SexualPudding
02-05-12, 09:51 PM
I definitely think the bigger bang for the buck is to be had with the 60ST30 from Panasonic. I just don't think that anything the GT30 offers is enough of an upgrade to warrant the sometimes big price difference. The main differences between the two are that the GT30 has a nicer looking bezel design and the THX mode it has. All of that being said, I bought the GT30 over the ST30 mainly because I really didn't care for the physical look of the ST30, and since I had a bunch of store credit with Sears, I went for the GT. I love it, and I think anyone would really like the ST30 as well. The image quality is fantastic.

TheBigDave
02-07-12, 09:25 AM

I got the Panasonic ST-30 yesterday. I can hear some light buzzing if I stick my head around back near the vents. But it's quieter than my cable box DVR.

The heat isn't a problem. Yesterday it was on for about 12 hours, and I could feel some heat from about 9 inches away. Probably not enough to increase room temperature unless you're in a small, enclosed room. Today it's been on for 90 minutes, and I can barely feel any heat from 1 inch away.

K&AJones
02-07-12, 09:56 AM
Anyone getting a Plasma I highly recommend heading over to the Plasma Thread at AVS Forum. Some great input on "break-in/burn-in and calibration settings"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=167