Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playstation vs Xbox

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playstation vs Xbox

Hi,

I've ready many articles about the differences between the two systems.

About memory capacity, picture quality, fees for online (Xbox has them, Playstation doesn't)

And after all that still not sure which is better to get.

Some articles conclude Playstation is better for kids.

To the casual consumer it seems that they are basically the same. With Xbox having the advantage of Kinect.

They basically have the same titles....

For the casual consumer...what do you recommend?

Thank you.
Old 11-28-11, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Playstation vs Xbox

I would recommend looking at the exclusive titles to help you decide. If that doesn't help, I prefer my 360 over my PS3. To tell you the truth, I've only played one game on the PS3, I do have a lot for it, but just tend to power up my 360.
Old 11-28-11, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

PS3 does exclusive titles like Uncharted, God of War and Ratchet and Clank better. Xbox Live may cost to play online but it's vastly better than PSN.

PS3 controllers recharge without buying batteries or charge packs. Xbox controllers are the better controller.

PS3 makes you install games (and still load slower). Xbox makes installation an option (and often loads faster).

PS3 has Blu-Ray. Xbox has...well a DVD player.

Unless you're talking about a PS3 exclusive, Xbox games tend to look better graphics wise, and sometimes it's not even close (burns on the wall in Ghostbusters, blood on bodies in Mafia II)

In the end, it's up to you, but I enjoy my Xbox more. Not that PS3 is a bad system.
Old 11-28-11, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll be contrary to the posters above. I vastly prefer my PS3 to my 360. It's been a few months since I even turned by 360 on.

I prefer PS3's exclusives over 360's by a good bit. The Uncharted and Infamous games are some of my favorite of this generation. God of War, Little Big Planet, Resistance, Heavy Rain, and Ratchet and Clank are also great. I also tend to like the PSN exclusives better. I loved flOw and Flower and cannot wait for Journey.

I'm not nearly as enamored with 360's exclusives. For some reason, I've never really been a fan of Halo or Gears of War. I do really like Left 4 Dead and Alan Wake though.

Unlike many (most?), I prefer the PS3 controller to the 360's. I buy virtually all multi-platform titles on the PS3. Then again, most of my gamer friends game exclusively on the PS3. I've only got one that primarily uses the 360.

As far as kid-friendliness, the 360 may have the PS3 beat since it's got Kinect. The PS3 has a good number of kid titles, particularly for Move, but 360 may pull ahead here.

If you don't have a Blu-ray player and won't be gaming online, I'd say the choice is pretty easy. If you do, are you planning to play online and what system do most of your friends use?
Old 11-28-11, 05:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

For most people, I ask them to make a list of 5-10 games they most want to play. From there, it's pretty easy to select a system most of the time.

If they can't come up with such a list, then probably a game console is not for them.
Old 11-28-11, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
PS3 does exclusive titles like Uncharted, God of War and Ratchet and Clank better. Xbox Live may cost to play online but it's vastly better than PSN.

PS3 controllers recharge without buying batteries or charge packs. Xbox controllers are the better controller.

PS3 makes you install games (and still load slower) (really? I didn't know that..but I own so few games for it...just the exclusive games...along w/ LA Noire). Xbox makes installation an option (and often loads faster).

PS3 has Blu-Ray. Xbox has...well a DVD player.

Unless you're talking about a PS3 exclusive, Xbox games tend to look better graphics wise, and sometimes it's not even close (burns on the wall in Ghostbusters, blood on bodies in Mafia II)

In the end, it's up to you, but I enjoy my Xbox more. Not that PS3 is a bad system.

Pretty much this w/ some variances here and there.

Graphically? Multiplatform games TEND to look better on 360 based on that it's an easier platform to work from and the one most studios base off of cuz of ease factor in comparison to PS3. Exclusive games for PS3 and 360 are big factors to boot.

I'd also agree on the controller being better for 360.

Online wise...360 is the boss. PSN isn't all that hot. It's pretty boring and iffy DEPENDING on the games...Killzone 2 and 3 I'm looking at you...

Personally...I go w/ 360. Better looking Multiplatform games, the controller, Live, along w/ whatever exclusives that system has that appeal to me as well.

PS3 is my BD player and PS exclusive games systems. And w/ these HD collections coming out...I'm just staying w/ the PS3 on that one too cuz well...I know the control schemes and feel more comfortable w/ that specific controller on those games.
Old 11-28-11, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I MUCH prefer my 360 to my PS3. But the PS3 does have it's advantages like exclusivity for the best baseball game there is, and or fighting games it's not even a contest controller-wise as the PS3's controller is worlds better than the 360 one for fighters. But I find the reverse is true for sports games like FIFA, much better with the 360 controller.
XBOX does charge for online whereas Playstation doesn't, but there is that old saying you get what you pay for.
Old 11-28-11, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I never understood why PS3 makes you install the games. It honestly doesn't seem to help alot.

As for the baseball comment, yeah MLB The Show is awesome, although I skipped the last one because I went for MLB 2k, which has improved greatly.

I only use my PS3 for Blu-Ray's as well. Online gaming is vastly superior on Xbox, but PS3 has some good communities for online, mainly the FPS like MW3 and BF3.

I honestly think if developers really knew how to harness the power of the PS3, it'd be the better system.
Old 11-28-11, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That PS3 controller is only good if you have baby hands. Make sure you try each out. That could be a deal breaker for some people.
Old 11-29-11, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I MUCH prefer my 360 to my PS3. But the PS3 does have it's advantages like exclusivity for the best baseball game there is, and or fighting games it's not even a contest controller-wise as the PS3's controller is worlds better than the 360 one for fighters. But I find the reverse is true for sports games like FIFA, much better with the 360 controller.
XBOX does charge for online whereas Playstation doesn't, but there is that old saying you get what you pay for.
I'm sorry..but if I'm playing a fighting game that will be played repeatedly and I bought it...I'm using an arcade stick. THAT is the way to play a fighting game. Except for MK...cuz...I don't think that would actually help it much..maybe...I don't know. it didn't seem like something that demanded a stick...seemed very console controller centered based on the button layout.
Old 11-29-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

That's funny because Mortal Kombat is the one fighting game I do use a stick for, whereas Street Fighter is sooo much easier for me with the PS D-Pad.
Old 11-29-11, 03:56 PM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-29-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both systems suck. Dreamcast 4ever!!!!!

It was so ahead of it's time, it will take at least 5 years for M$ and Sony to catch up.
Old 11-29-11, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maxflier
That's funny because Mortal Kombat is the one fighting game I do use a stick for, whereas Street Fighter is sooo much easier for me with the PS D-Pad.
hrm...I'll need to try MK w/ a stick. I'll disagree about SF though...fucking hell on the 360, easier on the PS controllers, fucking heaven on a stick.
Old 12-23-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wound up getting Xbox. Which is amazing.

I thank you all for your different thoughts and ideas and suggestions.
Old 12-23-11, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wii
Old 12-23-11, 11:43 PM

I don't have a PS3, but a title like Gran Turismo lures me.