DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Ipad Won't Connect to Publi Wifi

jonw9
11-28-11, 09:16 AM
I tried searching here, and on other sites, and I really haven't found a solution, so I am hoping there is something simple I am missing. I see other that have the problem, but no real solution.

My wife has an ipad 2, 16 GB. I have the damnedest time trying to get it to connect to public (or home) wifi.

Sometimes I can get it to connect be going in and resetting the communication settings (or whatever it is called under settings > general ).

Yesterday at the airport, there was again free wifi. My phone was able to connect easily (Droid). The ipad looked like it was connecting, but Safari would always indicate there was no internet connection.

I tried resetting, and all of the online things I could find. Turned off auto brightness, turned brightness all the way up, turned off Safari auto-fill, etc. and still nothing.

I got home (after giving up trying at the airport for hours) and it did the same thing with my home network. I had to reset my wifi router in order to connect (although my notebook connected just fine).

Obviously resetting the router in a public place isn't an option. Plus my wife doesn't/won't deal with all the hassle of trying to get the thing to connect. How am I supposed to jump on board this "cloud" thing when the only time I can connect is at home?

Brian Shannon
11-28-11, 01:09 PM
I have no problems with my iPad anywhere. Is your IOS updated?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/connect-ipad-to-wireless-network/

Sdallnct
11-28-11, 01:19 PM
My iPhone 4 is sometimes inconsistent in that it will show connected to wifi but nothing works. Usually that is a signal I need to accept the user agreement for that connection. So opening Safari usually brings up that agreement to accept then all is good. Occasionally I have to reload the page a couple times depending the exact connection before the agreement will come up. And even more rarely have to get out of Safari, make sure it is not running in background, than reopen it and the agreement will come up. I don't know if this reset for the IP address or not, but if I have any trouble connecting it always works for me.

Its a real pain the hotel I've been staying in for the past 8 months. The hotel wifi is on a 24cycle and you have to accept the user agreement every day. So each day my phone shows connected, but but nothing will work till I go accept the user agreement in Safari.

It is a minor issue, but I wish my phone would know I haven't accepted the agreement and just stay with 3G. Since the user agreement is technically connected, I don't know how this would work. Or if there was a way to manually accept going to wifi. I know, I know, the "in" thing is to go from one connection to another seemlessly. However, I rarely experience this in real life. So many placed I go to/try to connect to require you to accept the user agreement before moving on.

I'd bet that is the issue with your iPad. I experience that regularly with my phone. In my experience I'd say the vast majority (most?) require you to accept a user agreement before moving on. I've done this at airports, hotels, Starbuck, Barnes and Noble, the Mall, etc, etc,

Though your home is another issue. Even being gone for several weeks at a time, as soon as I walk in the door, it connects. Since my home is password protected, I have the password in my phone for that connection and it knows for that connection. I've never had an issue with anything but instant connection at home (since having this router and phone).

jonw9
11-28-11, 01:43 PM
The ipad is updated to the latest ios (5.0.1 I think).

Once it is connected to my home, it reconnects fine. It is just after connecting someplace else (or attempting) that messes it up.

As for safari, I assumed I needed to accept something, but all I ever got is the cot connected notice.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/photoey.png/sr=1

My iphone(s) arrive today. I am hoping I don't have this same issue. I have considered purchasing an Airport for my home wireless, as maybe that would resolve the issues there. However, this won't help me when I am out.

Superboy
11-28-11, 04:16 PM
There's no solution.

You'll just have to live with it.

There's a thread on apple support with 350,000 posts going back almost 5 years, and no one has found a solution that lasts longer than a few hours.

Just FYI, getting an Apple wireless router will not solve the problem at all.

jonw9
11-28-11, 04:29 PM
So, 5 years of history means is isn't an ipad only issue.
So basically when I get the "not connected" in safari, even though I am technically connect to the wifi, I should just give up?

Thanks for the Airport update, you saved me $100.

Superboy
11-28-11, 04:46 PM
Yeah, it's a problem that extends to all Apple products.

There have been tons of solutions tried, beyond the simple stuff like resetting your wireless router or rebooting.

Updating the firmware on your router doesn't work.

Buying a new router, even Apple branded, doesn't work.

Changing wireless channels, switching from N/G/B mode to G/B mode doesn't work.

Changing the broadcast channel on your router doesn't work.

and those solutions won't work in public wifi.

Those support threads are funny, because every time someone goes "eureka!", they come back a few hours later saying the problem has come back, or it's worse, and everyone who tried it says the same thing.

The real solution is to stop using Apple products.

al_bundy
11-28-11, 07:24 PM
Is it all wifi or some? Old 3GS would have issues connecting to some access points, especially Cisco. 4s is ok. iPad 2 hasn't had a problem yet either.

At home I use a linksys and it works

rmorgan
11-29-11, 12:34 AM
I don't have a problem with any network that is secured and I enter a key, or on truly "open" networks, with no authentication whatsoever. Where I have trouble is on networks like hotels or airports, when there is no key to enter, but your browser is redirected to a page to agree to terms and and tap a connect button. Only really dealt with this on my iPad, can't remember ever having any problems on my MacBook.

I solved the problem by holding my nose and paying extra for the personal hotspot feature on my iPhone. Ultimately, open wifi networks aren't a really good place to do anything other than basic web browsing.

The Cow
11-29-11, 12:40 AM
There's no solution.

You'll just have to live with it.

There's a thread on apple support with 350,000 posts going back almost 5 years, and no one has found a solution that lasts longer than a few hours.

Link?

Superboy
11-29-11, 01:01 AM
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1352518?start=0&tstart=0

Sorry, it was 300,000 views, but it's 1,100 posts and 78 pages long. It goes back to 2008. There are older threads than that though.

No one's solutions in that thread worked, especially the guy who's been posting for the last few months about how there isn't a problem :lol:

Why do you ask?

Do you have a solution?

If so, please share it... there are thousands of people eagerly awaiting a solution.

Superboy
11-29-11, 01:41 AM
Is it all wifi or some? Old 3GS would have issues connecting to some access points, especially Cisco. 4s is ok. iPad 2 hasn't had a problem yet either.

At home I use a linksys and it works

Maybe he could come over and use your wifi?

The Cow
11-29-11, 01:46 AM
Why do you ask?

Do you have a solution?

If so, please share it... there are thousands of people eagerly awaiting a solution.

I was curious to what problems what people were having. I had not heard of chronic problems before.

I'm more curious about iPad problems though. Your link is about a MacBook.

Superboy
11-29-11, 01:50 AM
I was curious to what problems what people were having. I had not heard of chronic problems before.

I'm more curious about iPad problems though. Your link is about a MacBook.

There are other threads about iMacs, iPhones, etc etc. The list goes on and on.

If you want a really funny read, track down threads about Titanium Powerbook G4s from about 6 years ago. Hilarious, absolutely hilarious.

Brian Shannon
11-29-11, 08:28 AM
So basically when I get the "not connected" in safari, even though I am technically connect to the wifi, I should just give up?

No, not necessarily

I have seen this before, it sometimes happens when a public network is overwhelmed and the login page does not load. Try refreshing Safari if you are connected and see if you get the page.

Also if you are connected try doing something else, email, news etc., sometimes that forces the browser to load the logon page

jonw9
11-29-11, 08:49 AM
Yeah, it's a problem that extends to all Apple products.

There have been tons of solutions tried, beyond the simple stuff like resetting your wireless router or rebooting.

Updating the firmware on your router doesn't work.

Buying a new router, even Apple branded, doesn't work.

Changing wireless channels, switching from N/G/B mode to G/B mode doesn't work.

Changing the broadcast channel on your router doesn't work.

and those solutions won't work in public wifi.

Those support threads are funny, because every time someone goes "eureka!", they come back a few hours later saying the problem has come back, or it's worse, and everyone who tried it says the same thing.

The real solution is to stop using Apple products.

But I am moving to Apple products because they are supposed to be flawlessly refined and easy to use.

There is a guy at work here that once said "They only way to get a virus on a Mac is to choose to install it yourself"!

Edited to add, our iphones arrived yesterday. My wife's phone connected to the network easily, first try. My phone required a router reboot to access.

Superboy
11-29-11, 03:57 PM
Apple products are hardly free of problems. It's just that the amount of users is much smaller, so there are generally less fuck ups. But they are there, and they are a pain to deal with. Also, considering that there are very few "enthusiast" Apple users who know their systems and the OS inside and out, there are less people in the community (i.e. losers) to do free tech support on forums.

TheBang
11-29-11, 06:54 PM
Those are some pretty broad generalizations.

Chrisedge
11-29-11, 06:57 PM
I like how one thread on a completely different device is being used to say "you're screwed".

Superboy
11-29-11, 07:41 PM
Here's the thread you're looking for:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2780293?start=0&tstart=0

It's just as big.

Raul3
11-30-11, 03:45 PM
I remember an issue with the first iPad and one university. The issue was related to DHCP.

Basically when the iPad resumed from sleep mode it tried to get the same IP address it had before. The university had a really short timeout for the IP address, so if it didn't receive a response from the device after certain time, it would free the IP adress and assign it to someone else. So when the the iPad woke up, it would try to use an IP address already in use.

So... what kind of router are you using? (For public wifi it can be any kind of issues, although I rarely have issues)

I've used Linksys and Buffalo (with dd-wrt) without issues for years.

jonw9
11-30-11, 05:02 PM
I was looking at the router thread (but don't understand half the stuff he is looking for in a router).

I have an old(er) D-Link DI-524. I think they stopped supporting it in 2008, and the last firmware update was in 2006.

Raul3
11-30-11, 05:28 PM
Holy sh*t! You are like 20 years behind!

If you don't like to tinker too much, just get one of the new linksys routers, whatever has the best reviews right now. If you only need wireless, anything under $100 should be fine.

RoboDad
12-01-11, 12:19 PM
FWIW, my wife and I ordered iPads last week, and they arrived yesterday. Both devices connected to my WiFi network on the first try, and we were busy using them (installing apps, setting up various stuff, watching videos, reading email, facefook, surfing, and so on) for over three hours with no connection problems at all.

I have a Lunksys E2500 router set up in mixed mode.

jonw9
12-04-11, 10:19 PM
Holy sh*t! You are like 20 years behind!

If you don't like to tinker too much, just get one of the new linksys routers, whatever has the best reviews right now. If you only need wireless, anything under $100 should be fine.

So, what would something like this do for me?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002WBV2T8/ref=nosim/dvdtalk

^Maybe that is a bad example reading the reviews, as it keeps dropping wireless.
So what would a new Linksys do for me, even a 1500?

4KRG
12-04-11, 11:47 PM
But I am moving to Apple products because they are supposed to be flawlessly refined and easy to use.

Apple has the best marketing ever! :lol:

I can't wait for Windows 8 Mobile Tablets to get on the street already. MS really missed the boat, however, it is not too late for them to come to the party.

There are a couple of reasons I say this.

1 - The 3rd part hardware market is likely to grow rapidly and have lots of support. Your odds of buying a device with fewer real life problems will improve.

2 - You will get to run IE to browse the web. Let's face it, no other browser has a higher level of compatibility with the largest number of web pages on the net. Other browsers can and do work well for most things, but IE (latest version) works with the most pages. For all of you Firefox, Chrome, Safari users, I can find pages that your browsers don't render "properly" - I can't remember the last time I ran into one that IE 9 couldn't render properly. (I am sure they exist, I just haven't been on them, and I doubt those pages are mainstream).

Can MS really make a Windows OS run on tablet hardware?? (Even if a little slower than ios, would be worth it for the use of IE - IMO). With the Tegra 3 days away from shipping, I think it will work out in 2012.

*Might want to sell that iPad off to an iPerson in preparation for the M$ takeover of the the tablet world late next year ;) (all my iSpeculation)

and don't believe the Apple marketing hype, Macs can get a virus without you loading it.

HP printers can be hacked to burst into flames, anything is possible :)

http://www.neowin.net/news/hackers-can-set-your-printer-on-fire

as for your wireless router selection, I have a few friends using Apples with this one

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Routers/Linksys-E2500-Advanced-DualBandN-Router_stcVVproductId129966526VVviewprod.htm

or here

http://www.amazon.com/E2500-Advanced-Simultaneous-Dual-Band-Wireless-N/dp/B004T9RR4A

and so far, it's been good for them. (one of them has about 8 ios devices on his simultaneously including an iPhone and iPad, the others are 3-4 devices)

Raul3
12-05-11, 01:47 PM
If you don't want to tinker, tweak, hack, etc. just get that E2500 from Linksys.

RoboDad
12-05-11, 02:42 PM
Couldn't agree more about the E2500. BTW, I was visiting friends over the weekend, and had no trouble betting my and my wife's iPads connected to their WiFi network for the full three days we were there. They are using the built-in router in their Frontier modem in WEP mode (didn't investigate to find out who manufactures it for them).

As for Windows 8 tablets, they will have an impact, but most industry analysts think it will be 2-3 years before they make any kind of dent in Apple's market share, especially if the iPad 3 is even close to what the current "leaks" say it will be.

Sdallnct
12-05-11, 08:03 PM
What do the current "leaks" say?

Sdallnct
12-05-11, 09:37 PM
Apple has the best marketing ever! :lol:

I can't wait for Windows 8 Mobile Tablets to get on the street already. MS really missed the boat, however, it is not too late for them to come to the party.

There are a couple of reasons I say this.

1 - The 3rd part hardware market is likely to grow rapidly and have lots of support. Your odds of buying a device with fewer real life problems will improve.

2 - You will get to run IE to browse the web. Let's face it, no other browser has a higher level of compatibility with the largest number of web pages on the net. Other browsers can and do work well for most things, but IE (latest version) works with the most pages. For all of you Firefox, Chrome, Safari users, I can find pages that your browsers don't render "properly" - I can't remember the last time I ran into one that IE 9 couldn't render properly. (I am sure they exist, I just haven't been on them, and I doubt those pages are mainstream).

Can MS really make a Windows OS run on tablet hardware?? (Even if a little slower than ios, would be worth it for the use of IE - IMO). With the Tegra 3 days away from shipping, I think it will work out in 2012.

*Might want to sell that iPad off to an iPerson in preparation for the M$ takeover of the the tablet world late next year ;) (all my iSpeculation)

and don't believe the Apple marketing hype, Macs can get a virus without you loading it.

HP printers can be hacked to burst into flames, anything is possible :)

http://www.neowin.net/news/hackers-can-set-your-printer-on-fire

as for your wireless router selection, I have a few friends using Apples with this one

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Routers/Linksys-E2500-Advanced-DualBandN-Router_stcVVproductId129966526VVviewprod.htm

or here

http://www.amazon.com/E2500-Advanced-Simultaneous-Dual-Band-Wireless-N/dp/B004T9RR4A

and so far, it's been good for them. (one of them has about 8 ios devices on his simultaneously including an iPhone and iPad, the others are 3-4 devices)

I was absolutely convinced I wanted a windows tablet. That way it would literally replace my netbook and keep my phone and ipods up to day (with content). Basically I wanted something that would run iTunes.

But now with the cloud, I'm more looking to an iPad. Since I mainly use my phone as my iPod, I can change content at any time. And with an iPad, could do the same.

The biggest issue I've seen with current windows tablet is cost. To make a dent in Apple tablet you have to come up with something better for less money, or admit it does a only part of what the iPad does, but cost a ton less (see Kindle).

RoboDad
12-05-11, 09:57 PM
What do the current "leaks" say?

Things like a 2048x1536 retina display, NFC, 4G LTE support, a quad-core a6 processor, dual LED light bars (for better visibility in sunlight), more storage (up to 128 GB) and possibly even a Thunderbolt port. And, of course, Siri.

Sdallnct
12-06-11, 02:26 AM
Things like a 2048x1536 retina display, NFC, 4G LTE support, a quad-core a6 processor, dual LED light bars (for better visibility in sunlight), more storage (up to 128 GB) and possibly even a Thunderbolt port. And, of course, Siri.

The only one of those that really interests me in a tablet is the dual LED light bars.

Not sure why they now have such a large capacity. With Cloud don't see the need.

But with a new tablet, means the price of the old should drop....

Superboy
12-06-11, 02:43 AM
Woah woah woah, one thing at a time!

Things like a 2048x1536 retina display

Probably not possible at the price point Apple would need to stay competitive.

NFC

Joking, right? who in the world would use an iPad as a mobile wallet?

4G LTE support

Again, the big problem Apple has with 4G isn't the technology itself, it's the huge drain on battery life. That's why the first iPhone didn't have 3G, and that's why the iPhone 4S doesn't have 4G.

a quad-core a6 processor

wow, where are you getting these rumors? most apple rumors tend to be really off-the-wall Apple fanboy dreams, and for every one that is true, there are thousands that are false. The media ripped Apple a new one after the debut of the iPhone 4S, saying that people were expecting a totally redesigned iPhone 5 (which more or less sounded exactly like the Galaxy Nexus, but it's not Apple so fuck it). Apple didn't mislead the public at all, the media did that, and they made it seem like it was Apple's fault for not living up to their fantasies.

dual LED light bars (for better visibility in sunlight), more storage (up to 128 GB) and possibly even a Thunderbolt port.

Flash memory becomes much pricier much faster than traditional HDDs do, so it's probably out of the question. And thunderbolt would be great, but totally impractical. USB would be nice.

And, of course, Siri.

That's probably the most realistic rumor, although even that is a tough one.

RoboDad
12-06-11, 03:34 AM
1) Manufacturing has already been confirmed to be under way on the 2048x1536 9.7" panels, so whatever your price point concerns may be, Apple apparently doesn't share them.

2) NFC is useful for MUCH more than a "mobile wallet" (and no, I won't elaborate for you, that's what google is for. But for a hint, look up "ice cream sandwich").

3) So? Microsoft eschewed 4G on their first gen WP7 phones as well, but guess what? They are expected to announce a new Nokia LTE Windows Phone handset at CES. Apple is not likely to allow their products to be left that far behind the carrier curve.

4) I guess CNET is just a bunch of "off-the-wall Apple fanboys" - http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-20068527-243.html

5) Those are the most sketchy of the rumors I've read about (128 GB and Thunderbolt), but they might be of interest to some, so I included them :).

6) There's nothing tough about assuming Siri will be included on the next iPad. It's a given, as far as most people are concerned. Apple would be insane to not include it. The backlash from their customer base would be deafening.

al_bundy
12-06-11, 01:09 PM
2011 - the year of the android ipad killer
2012 - the year of the W8 ipad killer tablet

the MS hype/FUD machine to not buy and wait works when computer penetration is in the single digits of the population. when apple has sold something like 50 million ipads for both versions most people will just buy the ipad or the Kindle fire

microsoft made a deal with apple where they licensed activesync and allowed OS X to access MS Exchange and AD. worst mistake ever and just as stupid as all the office competitors in the 1990's not allowing you to buy the upgrade version to "upgrade" from MS Office

RoboDad
12-06-11, 01:57 PM
Here is a chart of Gartner's recent (September) forecast (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/sep/22/tablet-forecast-gartner-ipad) for tablet sales over the next 4 years:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Technology/Pix/pictures/2011/9/22/1316700340357/Gartner-tablet-forecast-t-007.jpg

kefrank
12-06-11, 02:11 PM
I think it's laughable that IE on a tablet would be considered a strong selling point. I don't care if it renders every site on the web perfectly, the ship has sailed on it being the most popular and comfortable choice for people that actually care about what browser they use.

al_bundy
12-06-11, 03:29 PM
and of course there is no reason given why android tablet sales will suddenly take off next year. unless they count the kindle fire as an android tablet

Superboy
12-06-11, 09:37 PM
1) Manufacturing has already been confirmed to be under way on the 2048x1536 9.7" panels, so whatever your price point concerns may be, Apple apparently doesn't share them.

2) NFC is useful for MUCH more than a "mobile wallet" (and no, I won't elaborate for you, that's what google is for. But for a hint, look up "ice cream sandwich").

3) So? Microsoft eschewed 4G on their first gen WP7 phones as well, but guess what? They are expected to announce a new Nokia LTE Windows Phone handset at CES. Apple is not likely to allow their products to be left that far behind the carrier curve.

4) I guess CNET is just a bunch of "off-the-wall Apple fanboys" - http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-20068527-243.html

5) Those are the most sketchy of the rumors I've read about (128 GB and Thunderbolt), but they might be of interest to some, so I included them :).

6) There's nothing tough about assuming Siri will be included on the next iPad. It's a given, as far as most people are concerned. Apple would be insane to not include it. The backlash from their customer base would be deafening.

Oh, i'm not shitting on the iPad or anything, it's just that the rumor mill for Apple products tends to be terribly inaccurate.

And yes, I consider sites like CNET to be off the wall, especially when it comes to Apple rumors. Even sites like Engadget and all major media outlets got the iPhone 4S totally wrong. And for some reason, it's Apple's fault for not living up to the hype the media generates in the wake of lack of actual knowledge of forthcoming products.

zyzzle
12-07-11, 05:36 PM
Re: Ipad 3 "features".... And then there's the one NO ONE dares mention...

Greatly reduced battery life!

With all that quad-core creamy, drooling goodness it looms.

Let's wait until battery technology allows it before salivating over unrealistic new features. Or am I truly wrong, and the magic bullet will appear and let us run this rumored Ipad 3 for at least 12 hours @ full load with those specs?

al_bundy
12-07-11, 07:24 PM
Yet intel has magically increased CPU power and lowered power usage at the same time