DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : how is the Panasonic VIERA TC-P50X3

chino77
11-28-11, 05:48 AM
i remember reading a few times here that a certain 50" panny plasma was highly recommended when it comes to sub 1k tvs. not sure if this was the one or not (i think this is a new model). anyways how does this tv stack up? is it worth it to pay a few hundred more for a different model? i dont really care about 3d,1080p or any features really. i will only use this tv for my htpc so all the web stuff and any cable tv options it has will go unused by me.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50X3-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004M8SBHK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

oh and its on sale for $530 with free shipping (so you dont have to click the add to cart to see price).

right now i have a 5yr old samsung slim dlp...should i see a big difference in picture quality?

Sdallnct
11-28-11, 08:28 AM
I'm a huge Panny Plasma fan. I think that TV will have a better overall picture than 99% of the TV's out there. And no, for TV/DVD/HD/BD I don't think you need 1080p for such a small set. Assuming your sitting more than 6-7ft or so away.

As for your computer that might be a different matter. I've never actually used a TV for computer monitor. Most say that you need (or should have/or prefer) 1080p for using as a computer monitor.

DLP has a pretty nice pic as well. I have a DLP projector and feel it has a better pic than my 1080p LCD. Will you see a "big" difference? That is is pretty subjective. Why are you wanting a change?

chino77
11-28-11, 04:20 PM
why is 1080p better than 720p for a computer? my dlp is 720 and the picture looks good...though the screen is slightly cut off at the bottom (maybe 1/4") but i assumed it was just this tv. keep in mind that i dont use it for browsing (other than a quick look up on imdb or something). its only used to watch movies and tv shows. pretty much what im saying is that i only care is if it affects picture quality while viewing movies. im not worried about text sharpness or browsing experience.

im getting a new one because mine blows bulbs every 6-8 months. something is obviously wrong with it, possibly needs a new color wheel or ballist. i dont like the tv enough to bother figuring it out if i can get a new plasma for a little bit more.

kahuna
11-28-11, 11:43 PM
Amazon.com had the Panasonic VIERA TC-P50S30 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV
over the weekend for $599.99.

Spiky
11-29-11, 06:39 PM
why is 1080p better than 720p for a computer? my dlp is 720 and the picture looks good...though the screen is slightly cut off at the bottom (maybe 1/4") but i assumed it was just this tv. keep in mind that i dont use it for browsing (other than a quick look up on imdb or something). its only used to watch movies and tv shows.
I would say your HTPC usage negates the computer issue. If you did use it for browsing or other things besides video, you want all the resolution you can get.

Nick Martin
11-29-11, 07:58 PM
I just ordered a 50" Panasonic 3D plasma, and cost was the big decision-maker. I've known they have been the best since Pioneer, and I've owned a plasma (LG) for some 5 years now.

chino77
11-29-11, 08:34 PM
looks like its back up to $640..shoulda jumped on it. oh well. at close to $700 maybe i'll start looking for a 55" for around 1k. gonna still keep my eye on that 50" though. im in no hurry. just got a new bulb for my dlp so i should have at least 6 more months left in it lol.