Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Devil Inside (2012)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Devil Inside (2012)

Old 11-27-11, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
The Devil Inside (2012)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OyT7xMPurgw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Release date: January 6, 2012

Director: William Brent Bell
Writers: William Brent Bell, Matthew Peterman
Stars: Fernanda Andrade, Simon Quarterman and Evan Helmuth

The Devil Inside Synopsis: In 1989, emergency responders received a 9-1-1 call from Maria Rossi (Suzan Crowley) confessing that she had brutally killed three people. 20 years later, her daughter Isabella (Fernanda Andrade) seeks to understand the truth about what happened that night. She travels to the Centrino Hospital for the Criminally Insane in Italy where her mother has been locked away to determine if her mother is mentally ill or demonically possessed. When she recruits two young exorcists (Simon Quarterman and Evan Helmuth) to cure her mom using unconventional methods combining both science and religion, they come face-to-face with pure evil in the form of four powerful demons possessing Maria.

Many have been possessed by one; only one has been possessed by many.
Old 01-05-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: The Devil Inside (2012)

So, anyone going to see this this weekend? I think I'm intrigued enough to check it out.
Old 01-05-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure this will be like almost every other exorcism movie, meaning it'll have a few visually impressive scenes padded out by dreadfully boring exposition.
Old 01-05-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'm sure this will be like almost every other exorcism movie, meaning it'll have a few visually impressive scenes padded out by dreadfully boring exposition.
The Exorcist and The Exorcist III would like to have a word with you.
Old 01-05-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I said "almost". Clearly there are major exceptions.
Old 01-05-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I said "almost". Clearly there are major exceptions.
Those might actually be the only two films involving exorcism that are worth a damn.

Fun fact: I remember my casting agent friend telling me about The Exorcism of Emily Rose while in production (some of her clients were in the film) and the big twist that it was a courtroom drama. My response was, "That's fucking stupid." She agreed.

Worst case scenario: The Devil Inside is the best exorcism film in years as the trailers don't show any clips inside a courtroom and nobody ends up as a gigantic blob by the film's finale. Or do they?

And yes, I just ruined The Last Exorcism for everyone. Thank me later.
Old 01-05-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oddly enough, I intensely disliked The Last Exorcism when I saw it in theaters. I had to review the Blu-ray when it came out and I found myself appreciating it more. It's not great, but there are some good performances and it's more interesting when you know the whole deal going into it.
Old 01-05-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have read a few reviews, from not known sites, at least not known to me, and they are saying good things about this movie. I came here to see if there was any buzz.

The trailer is great, of course, but there have been several horror movies like that, the only good thing is the trailer.

Anyways, I'm thinking about going to watch it tonight, there two shows, at 9 pm and 12:00 am. Not sure yet since I have to wake up at 5 am tomorrow.
Old 01-05-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Fun fact: I remember my casting agent friend telling me about The Exorcism of Emily Rose while in production (some of her clients were in the film) and the big twist that it was a courtroom drama. My response was, "That's fucking stupid." She agreed.
I might be blissfully ignorant on this but, how exactly is the fact that Emily Rose being a courtroom drama a "twist"? I get that the trailers sold it as an exorcism film but the movie itself never wavered in it's stance as a courtroom drama with flashbacks filling in the blanks. I don't think you can blame the filmmakers for that though. You can however blame them for making a shitty movie.

As for this film, ehh. I'll see it when it hits Netflix because just watching the trailer it doesn't exactly stand out from the rest of the shitty pack (Exorcist III not withstanding!)
Old 01-05-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll most likely see it this week.
Old 01-06-12, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

No matter how many times I get burned by these movies, I keep on coming back. Probably why they make one a year.

All I ask for is a few good scares and a plot that doesn't put me to sleep.
Old 01-06-12, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't usually partake in audience participation, but when I do, I go for the gold. Please ladies and gentlemen, read my spoiler as it'll save you ten dollars.

Spoiler:
The film ends on the director of the film, now possessed, crashing the car carrying everyone head-on into another vehicle. The film cuts to black stating that the events of the Rossi case have been unresolved and to visit http://www.therossifiles.com for more information.

The whole audience is silent.

With all my might, I scream, "FUCK YOU!"

The whole (sold out) audience applauses, laughs and cheers; showing more participation with the film than the prior 80 minutes.

The first week of January isn't even over and this may be the worst film of 2012. Poorly shot, directed, acted, and edited; this film is a piece of fucking shit. Do something more productive with your time and money than spend it on this pile of garbage.
Old 01-06-12, 06:12 AM
Cool New Member

I don't usually partake in audience participation, but when I do, I go for the gold. Please ladies and gentlemen, read my spoiler as it'll save you ten dollars.

Spoiler:
The film ends on the director of the film, now possessed, crashing the car carrying everyone head-on into another vehicle. The film cuts to black stating that the events of the Rossi case have been unresolved and to visit http://www.therossifiles.com for more information.

The whole (sold out) audience applauses, laughs and cheers; showing more participation with the film than the prior 80 minutes.

The first week of January isn't even over and this may be the worst film of 2012. Poorly shot, directed, acted, and edited; this film is a piece of fucking shit. Do something more productive with your time and money than spend it on this pile of garbage.
Hear, hear!

Exact same thing happened at my screening. Just a lot of booing and disgruntled mumbles as we left the theatre.

It's terrible. Terrible, terrible, terrible and barely releasable. I'll be blown away if this thing isn't on my "worst of" list come the end of the year. Feh!
Old 01-06-12, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was on the fence about this. Thank you for saving me time/money.
Old 01-06-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn. I was hoping it would be good.
Old 01-06-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like this one might go in my Netflix queue instead...good thing cause I was thinking of seeing it tonight. Guess it's going to be Warhorse or Mission Impossible instead
Old 01-06-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
No matter how many times I get burned by these movies, I keep on coming back.
The Exorcist & Exorcist III are the best.
Exorcist II is a guilty pleasure.
Except for the ending I actually liked The Last Exorcism.

I have seen these and they suck :

Exorcismus
Beyond the Door
Antichrist (not von Trier)
Requiem

I have not yet seen or am afraid to see :

Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist
Exorcist: The Beginning
The Rite
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Exorcism: The Possession of Gail Bowers
Old 01-06-12, 11:00 AM
Banned

Yep. confirmed my suspicions. This sounds like one of the worst of these "found footage" ripoffs. Seeing the trailer in theaters twice was already 5 minutes that I will never get back so theres no way I would pay a penny for this. Looks completely uninspired.
Old 01-06-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222
I have not yet seen or am afraid to see :

Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist
Exorcist: The Beginning
The Rite
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Exorcism: The Possession of Gail Bowers
Just don't. Seriously.
Old 01-06-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spoiler:

Whats the problem? Thats how the majority of these "found footage" film end. Or is THAT the problem?
Old 01-06-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Whats the problem? Thats how the majority of these "found footage" film end. Or is THAT the problem?
I agree; found footage films tend to have very abrupt endings with loose ends unresolved, and at least one loser in the audience who thinks he/she is hilarious by yelling at the screen in response.
Old 01-06-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, but one ending with a prompt to visit a website sounds lame as hell.
Old 01-06-12, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

Well the critics seem to be agreeing: 2 positive, 24 negative on RT. Consensus: The Devil Inside is a cheap, choppy unscary mess, featuring one of the worst endings in recent memory.
Old 01-06-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn I was hoping this was going to be good. I'm seeing it with a friend tomorrow night. Might have to be one of those "let's just see how bad this actually is" kind of deals.
Old 01-06-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't see it last night. I have a "free" night tonight, my wife has a reunion at home, so I'm going to the movies. I don't think I'm seeing this movie though, it's either MI or TGWTDT.

Anyway, for fans of the horror genre it's really hard to read reviews. Most of the time mainstream critics will rate these movies low when they are released. But in this case, even some of the horror/genre websites are rating the movie low.

Funny thing, I was reading a mainstream review and they compared the movie to the Paranormal Activity series. How the PA series is great, and this is a really bad ripoff. Of course when the first PA movie was released it received really low (mainstream) ratings, and now is a "classic".

One review that I liked is the one from io9: http://io9.com/5873613/ (The Devil Inside is a great exorcism movie possessed by a bad one). That should give you an idea. Anyway, I think I made my mind and will wait for Netflix.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.