Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Will lotion and lysol ruin my DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will lotion and lysol ruin my DVDs?

A few hours ago I read a guide about how to care for and handle DVDs. It said don't use solvents on DVDs. I'm certainly not planning on inviting my family and friends over to a "Let's Use Solvents On Our DVDs" Party, but there are 2 things I did in the past which sort of carry over into the present that have me worried.

1. I wiped DVD cases off with lysol wipes and glass cleaner (which I think has ammonia in it), sometimes while the DVD was in the case. The cases that I used lysol wipes on have a texture/coating on them.

2. I have used my TV and DVD remotes right after having put lotion on my hands and not letting it soak in. A texture/coating remains on the remotes, and I'm worried that it could get on and ruin the DVDs, since I have to touch the remote first to open the DVD player and then touch the disc to put the DVD in.

I won't be wiping the DVD cases off with lysol or glass cleaner anymore. However, in regards to the lotion issue, the cold dry weather basically forces me to either use lotion or have my skin look like a crocodile. And constantly washing the lotion off my hands before touching the remote controls defeats the purpose and wastes money. I won't be putting lotion on and touching the remote controls before it soaks in, but will the leftover lotion texture/coating currently on the remotes ruin my DVDs? Just how careful do I need to be when it comes handling my DVDs?
Old 11-27-11, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: Will lotion and lysol ruin my DVDs?

I've always used windex and a soft tissue to clean my CDs and DVDs - discs and cases - no issues at all.

If you are carefully handling your discs by the edges when you take it out of the case and slip it onto the player tray, you should be okay. Unless you "manhandle" the discs with your fingers over the whole thing...
Old 11-27-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Holy cow. How much lotion is on your remotes to make it enough to transfer to your DVDs?

As mentioned, just handle your DVDs by the edges. Your fingertips should not be all lotioned up unless you're constantly using lotion.
Old 11-27-11, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
A few hours ago I read a guide about how to care for and handle DVDs. It said don't use solvents on DVDs. I'm certainly not planning on inviting my family and friends over to a "Let's Use Solvents On Our DVDs" Party, but there are 2 things I did in the past which sort of carry over into the present that have me worried.

1. I wiped DVD cases off with lysol wipes and glass cleaner (which I think has ammonia in it), sometimes while the DVD was in the case. The cases that I used lysol wipes on have a texture/coating on them.

2. I have used my TV and DVD remotes right after having put lotion on my hands and not letting it soak in. A texture/coating remains on the remotes, and I'm worried that it could get on and ruin the DVDs, since I have to touch the remote first to open the DVD player and then touch the disc to put the DVD in.

I won't be wiping the DVD cases off with lysol or glass cleaner anymore. However, in regards to the lotion issue, the cold dry weather basically forces me to either use lotion or have my skin look like a crocodile. And constantly washing the lotion off my hands before touching the remote controls defeats the purpose and wastes money. I won't be putting lotion on and touching the remote controls before it soaks in, but will the leftover lotion texture/coating currently on the remotes ruin my DVDs? Just how careful do I need to be when it comes handling my DVDs?
I don't mean to be rude, but you seem like you're developing OCD.
Old 11-27-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Holy cow. How much lotion is on your remotes to make it enough to transfer to your DVDs?

As mentioned, just handle your DVDs by the edges. Your fingertips should not be all lotioned up unless you're constantly using lotion.

TomO is right - dvd care is more a handling issue - it's a very durable format
Old 11-27-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark.Devil.21
I don't mean to be rude, but you seem like you're developing OCD.
He's in the right place!
Make sure to stop by the "Unwatched Movie Pile", 'How do you Store your DVDs", ""Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread " and "Catalog of DVD Cataloging Software" threads for more OCD goodness.

That said, I think the cases would be fine as long as you're not soaking/submerging them, and I'd be more worried about the remote getting lotionny, or the lotion transferring into the DVD player, than damaging a disk. I'd suggest either making sure the lotion is rubbed in, or invest in a box of disposable plastic/latex gloves like nurses/doctors use. And let me know what lotion you use so I can invest in the company.
Old 11-27-11, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wtf does anyone need to use Windex on a dvd for?
Old 11-27-11, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I was a little fuzzy on that one myself. Assuming they're being handled properly, there should be no reason.
Old 11-27-11, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From now on it puts the dvds in the tray before it rubs the lotion on its skin, unless it wants to get the hose again.
Old 11-27-11, 04:56 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I've used Windex Antibacterial spray to wipe down the outside of DVD cases of DVDs I purchased used, primarily at flea markets, because you never know who's handled it. But on actual DVDs, I've only ever used either water or dishsoap & water, and only in the case of a disc that has fingerprints or other crap (figuratively speaking) on them, or that skips or freezes, and only as a process of elimination to possible causes. Wipe the DVDs dry with a microfiber cloth, wiping from the center to the edge (not around in circles).

You probably shouldn't handle electronics with gooey fingers. Either rub the lotion in good or wipe off the excess (or both), and as other have mentioned, only handle the discs by the edges. -kd5-
Old 11-27-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He said he used it on the cases but not on the disc itself, which isn't going to do anything to the disc inside. I think the bigger issue is using so much lotion all the time that gobs of it are still on his hands and he's going around touching everything.
Old 11-27-11, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I've used both De-Solv-It (like Goo-Gone but better) *and* rubbing alcohol on both play and label sides of DVDs when necessary to remove fingerprints (alcohol only), "gunk" left by glue/outgassing of case (again - alcohol), and label/glue residue from purchased rental DVDs (De-Solv-It on a cloth *only* on the glue followed by alcohol to clean off De-Solv-It residue). So far there've been *no* ill effects on any of the disks - BUT I use these products very judiciously, especially the De-Solv-It but it's not yet harmed the label side nor caused playback issues. I tested a large quantity of De-Solv-It using vigorous rubbing on a broken disk first just to see if it would remove the silkscreen printing as it *will* remove the ink from paper inserts. I also use both products on the outer case as necessary to remove glue residue. I doubt Windex and/or lotion would have any ill effects unless they got into the player itself.
Old 11-27-11, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell, maybe he watched Greek Wedding and since the father of the bride stated in the film that Windex works on anything, why not on a DVD right? Just guessing though.
Old 11-28-11, 12:38 AM

Thanks for your replies everyone. I think I'll just wipe the DVD cases and remote controls off and be more careful with the lotion from now on. Usually when I handle DVDs I take it off the hub and hold it with my index finger in the hole in the center of the disc and my thumb on the edges. I'm guessing that's ok. Now to work on getting through the backlog. I don't even want to tell you how long I spent looking at topics about that.

Slightly off topic, but Craig Ferguson as well as a few posters in this thread have gotten me thinking about one of the best moments in Silence Of The Lambs. Yes, "it rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again" and "put the lotion in the basket" are classic moments, but I've yet to see any love for the exchange of:

"Doh chew hurt mah dog!"
"Doh chew make me hurt yer dog!"

...Well I laughed anyway.....
Old 11-28-11, 12:49 AM

I spray some of my DVDs (that I pick up used) with Sparyway glass cleaner. It contains no ammonia, however, I don't know if ammonia hurts a DVD either. I also clean the outside covers boxes with Lysol wipes, I don't think it hurts them.