DVD Talk
Longshot - Is there a place for teachers to get a used laptop cheap/free? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Longshot - Is there a place for teachers to get a used laptop cheap/free?

namrfumot
11-26-11, 08:12 PM
Due to a lack of funds my school won't buy me a laptop for the classroom. I need one to hook up to my projector so I can show videos and PowerPoints to my students. I don't care how ugly, abused, old it is....as long as it had 60gigs of HD space for my presentations I'd be happy.

Is there a place to look for this? CL is insane and people are asking $200+ for a laptop with windows 98...

trespoochies
11-26-11, 08:33 PM
Sent you a PM. Good luck in your search.

Sdallnct
11-27-11, 10:34 AM
You might try a little netbook. New. With warranty. Easily found $200 and less. Wife picked up one on BF from BB for $150 even after I said wasn't a smoking hot deal (but a very good deal).

I've been using one for nearly 3 years. I can't imagine going back to a laptop. For my needs it is more than enough. And yes that includes full Office, some basic (but not advanced) photo editing. Course you will never be able to do gaming or high end photo/video editing. But for the true basics (and yes, I have no trouble with YouTube. Even HD with a good connection) they are great.

My three year old unit has both VGA and USB connections, so I would think would be fine. Only draw back is you mentioned videos. Netbooks don't have built in optical drives. But you can pick up an external one for $15 or so. Or even a CD burner for $25 or less.

I still run XP on mine and no issues. I've been toying with upgrading to an 11" model, but I might jump over to a tablet.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
11-27-11, 12:41 PM
For $200,you can get a notebook on sale as well.

Superboy
11-27-11, 01:18 PM
Get an iPad! Netbooks are dead anyway. Granted, you won't be able to do any of the things you need to do, but hey, it's an iPad. A million times better than some crummy netbook.

Sdallnct
11-27-11, 01:41 PM
Get an iPad! Netbooks are dead anyway. Granted, you won't be able to do any of the things you need to do, but hey, it's an iPad. A million times better than some crummy netbook.

Where can you get an iPad for $200?

edstein
11-27-11, 01:52 PM
How much longer do we have to put up with Superboy's troll posts?