DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : iPad vs Xoom 2

Timber
11-26-11, 09:40 AM
Probably asking this question a day late since I could have gotten the iPad for $50 yesterday during the Apple sale.

I've been close to pulling the trigger on a 32GB iPad for a few weeks now but something about it is just not letting me. I use my wife's and while it does what I want a tablet to do it's just so boring.

Yesterday I started looking into the Xoom and I see that a new one should be coming out in a month or so but I think it'll top out at 16GB(?) Now I love the Android OS on my phone but lets be honest the thing becomes a laggy mess after a while and I don't know if that's fixed in Honeycomb (soon to be a unified ICS I hope).

Anybody with an original Xoom that has had a positive experience with one? Anybody use both that wants to give a comparison?

Sdallnct
11-26-11, 09:57 AM
iPad's were $50? Really? Missed that.

Deftones
11-26-11, 10:12 AM
ipad original or ipad 2?

also, consider waiting a few more weeks to check out the asus transformer prime when it hits. it's quad core (actually 5 cores), thinner than the ipad and supposed to have up to 12 hour battery life. sounds really sweet. $499 for 32GB, too.

i can't give much advice on either tablet other than i've used the xoom a few times and it's nice hardware.

Timber
11-26-11, 10:39 AM
iPad's were $50? Really? Missed that.

I certainly did type that didn't I. $50 off I meant.

fumanstan
11-26-11, 11:58 AM
I agree with Deftones, I'd say wait for reviews on quad core tablets and see how those fare, especially the ASUS Transformer Prime. I haven't been too impressed with the current Honeycomb tablets. They have some nice specs, but all the ones i've tried have been a bit disappointing.

RoboDad
11-26-11, 12:35 PM
I have been mulling over the same decision for the past several weeks/months.

The issue for me was that I knew that there were a lot of opportunities for me to use a tablet now, rather than waiting (yet again) for the next big evolutionary step. I test drove several Android tablets in-store, and the only one that impressed me at all was the Transformer (and it impressed me a LOT), but still not as much as the iPad 2.

So yesterday my wife and I each picked up an iPad 2, 16 GB for her, 32 GB for me.

Timber
11-26-11, 12:52 PM
ipad original or ipad 2?

also, consider waiting a few more weeks to check out the asus transformer prime when it hits. it's quad core (actually 5 cores), thinner than the ipad and supposed to have up to 12 hour battery life. sounds really sweet. $499 for 32GB, too.

iPad 2

And wow, didn't even know about the Transformer Prime but that looks like it could be the leader in the clubhouse.

My problem is that I wait and wait then I see something new on the horizon which causes me to wait some more, hence why I can't pull the trigger on a new phone even though I've had my upgrade for about a year now.

Timber
11-26-11, 12:54 PM
I have been mulling over the same decision for the past several weeks/months.

The issue for me was that I knew that there were a lot of opportunities for me to use a tablet now, rather than waiting (yet again) for the next big evolutionary step. I test drove several Android tablets in-store, and the only one that impressed me at all was the Transformer (and it impressed me a LOT), but still not as much as the iPad 2.

So yesterday my wife and I each picked up an iPad 2, 16 GB for her, 32 GB for me.
So you're not under impressed with the iPad? Like I said it will do everything that I need but it just seems so boring to me.

Superboy
11-26-11, 02:04 PM
Have you tried a jailbroken iPad?

It's a beast. A MONSTER in fact, and you can do tons, and tons, and TONS of shit with it that is almost unbelievable that Apple would limit that kind of functionality in the first place.

The hardware is an absolute beast and the screen is wonderful. Probably the best tablet screen around.

Michael T Hudson
11-26-11, 02:28 PM
Have you tried a jailbroken iPad?

It's a beast. A MONSTER in fact, and you can do tons, and tons, and TONS of shit with it that is almost unbelievable that Apple would limit that kind of functionality in the first place.

The hardware is an absolute beast and the screen is wonderful. Probably the best tablet screen around.

Since I got my iPad 2 in March my laptop hardly gets used. It is fast has a great screen and always ready to go.

al_bundy
11-26-11, 05:33 PM
So you're not under impressed with the iPad? Like I said it will do everything that I need but it just seems so boring to me.

Whats boring? Even the leaked tegra 3 benchmarks can't beat the iPad 2 in every test

fumanstan
11-26-11, 06:48 PM
My problem is that I wait and wait then I see something new on the horizon which causes me to wait some more, hence why I can't pull the trigger on a new phone even though I've had my upgrade for about a year now.

I imagine quad core chips will be the primary thing for the next year, so I don't think you'll have upgrade envy if you buy a quad core phone or tablet in the next couple months.

RoboDad
11-26-11, 06:57 PM

Not under-impressed at all. It is an amazing piece of hardware and an amazing OS on top of it. Please define "so boring".

Timber
11-26-11, 07:12 PM
Not under-impressed at all. It is an amazing piece of hardware and an amazing OS on top of it. Please define "so boring".

I just feel like I'm just using my iPod Touch but in a bigger form factor. It's just seems so single task oriented.

My biggest complaint, which might be minor to most, is the lack of a "back button" I don't like having look in the app for a way to get to the previous page.

I have no complaints about the hardware, I'm just not blown away by IOS and I think I should be considering it's been around for so long.

edited to add: Why is watching a youtube video such a chore on the iPad?

Superboy
11-26-11, 07:44 PM
But it's so simple a child could use it!

Hokeyboy
11-26-11, 07:50 PM
Never had anything seem like a "chore" on my iPad. Certainly not watching YouTube :shrug: YMMV, as always...

RichC2
11-26-11, 08:38 PM
iOS is a tremendously bland operating system but I'd still recommend an iPad over the Android equivalent. Android is an excellent OS for phones but still a little lacking for Tablets (including Honeycomb, haven't tried ICS yet).

Benchmarks (exceptionally meaningless, imo) don't mean much when the current crop of Android tablets still get bogged down so easily (I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1) and App support is superior on the iPad.

The screen on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is, imo, better than the iPad 2's screen. I just think 4:3 is the way to go with Tablets and Apple has that right -- sure it isn't as good for video playback but it's better in almost every other way, especially for magazines and books.

So long story short, my stance:
Phones: Galaxy S2 (til I get to play w/ the Galaxy Nexus) > *
Tablets: iPad 2 > *

edstein
11-26-11, 10:51 PM
Don't get caught up in specs. It's all about the software and ecosystem. 5 cores isn't worth shit without any apps (yet) to take advantage of them. I think you'll be much happier in the long run with an iPad2. Granted I'm a little biased as I have two iPads but my experience with Android software on my old phone was decent but not great.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
11-26-11, 11:48 PM
OP: what are you using it for? I've used an iPad 2, and honestly, for what I use mine for, e-mail, web browsing, youtube, netflix, my Touchpad 32gb that I paid $120 for does all that via android port. And it feels just as fast as an iPad 2, at least for what I used it for. Personally, I cannot justify spending 4x (or more) as much for an iPad 2 for my uses. But I do understand those who have more strenuous needs that can't be met by my tablet that may need an iPad.

Timber
11-26-11, 11:53 PM
Web, email, comics, and videos. Probably not much gaming.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
11-27-11, 11:36 AM
Web, email, comics, and videos. Probably not much gaming.

I'd suggest you try some out in stores,try the apps that you plan to use,see how the different tablets function. I know several people with iPad 2,they are very happy with it. I have tried to use a few myself,personally, i do agree it runs well. But personally, I can't justify spending so much more for an iPad 2,since I am very happy with the $120 I spent. It does everything I need and seems nearly as fast as the iPad 2.

DStruble
11-27-11, 04:19 PM
Timber,

I bought the Xoom the day it came out. Prior to that, I used the iPad for a few days. I returned the iPad the day I bought the Xoom. The choice of iPad or Xoom can be broken down two ways. First, Widgets vs Icons. Android's ability to have dynamic widgets over icons is major advantage. That said, I would still buy an iPad for my parents. Which brings me to the second way of choosing either iPad or Xoom. The iPad has a simple and intuitve interface that just works. The Xoom requires more thought, but in return provides more customization abilities. For myself, the choice was easy; the Xoom with no regrets. For my parents, the choice is just as easy; the iPad.

Deftones
11-27-11, 05:58 PM
Don't get caught up in specs. It's all about the software and ecosystem. 5 cores isn't worth shit without any apps (yet) to take advantage of them. I think you'll be much happier in the long run with an iPad2. Granted I'm a little biased as I have two iPads but my experience with Android software on my old phone was decent but not great.

there are quite a few games that are out or are soon to be coming out that capitalize on dual core processors for tablets.

orangecrush
11-28-11, 11:58 AM
ipad original or ipad 2?

i can't give much advice on either tablet other than i've used the xoom a few times and it's nice hardware.Somehow, I don't think you will get 12 hours of video playback. I hope I am wrong though. That looks like a really good deal.

orangecrush
11-28-11, 12:03 PM
I'd suggest you try some out in stores,try the apps that you plan to use,see how the different tablets function. I know several people with iPad 2,they are very happy with it. I have tried to use a few myself,personally, i do agree it runs well. But personally, I can't justify spending so much more for an iPad 2,since I am very happy with the $120 I spent. It does everything I need and seems nearly as fast as the iPad 2.Sure, if you could get that HP for $120, that was the way to go. But who can get it for that price now? I wouldn't get an Ipad if I could get yours for $120. But that isn't an option for the OP.

DaveNinja
11-28-11, 12:14 PM
I bought an iPad 2 from a guy in a parking lot for 10 bucks. I cant see spending 12 times that for a no-longer-supported HP TouchPad. iPad is definitely the way to go

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
11-28-11, 12:20 PM
Sure, if you could get that HP for $120, that was the way to go. But who can get it for that price now? I wouldn't get an Ipad if I could get yours for $120. But that isn't an option for the OP.

You can buy a tp 32gb for $150 when purchased with a computer at various outlets. Other than that, i've seen decent 10" android tablets for around 200-250 recently.

Sdallnct
11-28-11, 12:49 PM
ipad original or ipad 2?

i can't give much advice on either tablet other than i've used the xoom a few times and it's nice hardware.

With the Cloud "fully deployed" I wouldn't worry about memory as much if going with Apple. Unless you want to carry several movies around, all the time.

I'm back pleased with my 16gig iPhone. I had filled it up pretty quickly (after never coming close on my 16gig 3Gs for two years) and was regretting having to regularly sync with my netbook to move content. But with the cloud, I love that I can get to music and apps that are not on my phone. Any time, any where.

With the cloud I'm back looking at tablets again. I wasn't willing to get one and still have to carry around a laptop for content. But with cloud, I could see going some time without needing to connect.

Course I'm talking apple as a I know I will want to stay with that. But it of course would work with Amazon's system as well.