Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Rolling Stone names Hendrix best guitarist ever.

Sonny Corinthos
11-24-11, 03:32 PM
Legendary musician Jimi Hendrix was named the greatest guitar player in history Wednesday by Rolling Stone magazine in a list compiled by a panel of music experts and top guitar players.

"Jimi Hendrix exploded our idea of what rock music could be: He manipulated the guitar, the whammy bar, the studio and the stage," said Grammy-winning guitarist Tom Morello in the magazine, citing Hendrix's "Purple Haze" and "The Star-Spangled Banner" as key tracks.

Hendrix is joined by the likes of Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page and Pete Townshend among the top 10, in a list laden with rock 'n' roll icons spanning decades.

The panel of experts recruited to vote for their favourite guitar players included musicians such as Lenny Kravitz, Eddie Van Halen (who was voted No. 8), Brian May and Dan Auerbach from The Black Keys, along with a selection of Rolling Stone's senior writers and editors.

The experts also weighed in on their favourites, with Pearl Jam's Mike McCready calling Eddie Van Halen "a master of riffs" and Joe Perry praising Jimmy Page's "vision of how to transcend the stereotypes of what the guitar can do."

The full list will be featured in a special issue with four special covers of Van Halen, Clapton, Hendrix and Page, and will be on newsstands and online at rollingstone.com on Friday. Rolling Stone's top 10 greatest guitarists follow:

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Jimmy Page

4. Keith Richards

5. Jeff Beck

6. B.B. King

7. Chuck Berry

8. Eddie Van Halen

9. Duane Allman

10. Pete Townshend

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/11/23/uk-jimihendrix-idUKTRE7AM0CB20111123

Jason
11-24-11, 04:13 PM
And here comes the list of obscure nobodies that are "better" than these guys -popcorn-

rw2516
11-24-11, 04:51 PM
The top three are right on the money. After that it becomes subjective.

cungar
11-24-11, 05:33 PM
How long before Yngwie Malmsteen is mentioned in this thread?

JANK
11-24-11, 06:32 PM
Beck might be a tad low. Keith is probably the best Rhythm guitarist so Beck s/b 3rd or 4th.

JumpCutz
11-24-11, 07:47 PM
Meh. That list definitely includes some greats (Hendrix, Van Halen, Beck), but I'd say that is a list of the 10 "most influential guitar players" as there are lots and lots of guitar players that are technically better than those listed. :shrug:

Jimmy Page is the sloppiest fucker I've ever heard live. Fumble fingers deluxe.

Chuck Berry 7th best guitar player ever? rotfl :lol:

JumpCutz
11-24-11, 07:55 PM
How long before Yngwie Malmsteen is mentioned in this thread?

I'll bite.

Malmsteen isn't even the best in his niche genre and is just a bad joke nowadays. Every solo of his contains the same mindless harmonic minor wankery. He has no feel and his playing is soulless.

That said, he crushed on the first Alcatrazz disc as well as the first Rising Force cd. :)

Nick Danger
11-24-11, 09:37 PM
Boy, music must have been great in the 1960s. Nine of the ten greatest guitarists of all time were active in that one brief span. I'm so jealous of Jan Wenner.

statcat
11-24-11, 11:36 PM
And here comes the list of obscure nobodies that are "better" than these guys -popcorn-

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PmHxYx74MTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

astrochimp
11-24-11, 11:58 PM
I'd say that is a list of the 10 "most influential guitar players".

That's exactly what it is. I've learned to stay away from the words "greatest" or "best" in these matters since this isn't an Olympic sport. So for what it is, it's a good list.

DaveWadding
11-25-11, 01:54 AM
I was flipping through the list (for some reason, I still subscribe to this piece of crap) and I found Derek Trucks rated number 17. I like Derek Trucks (he might be my favorite modern guitarist), but 17th all time?! Even fucking Santana was at something like 24. Stupid.

foofighters7
11-25-11, 10:13 AM
any list that doesn't have Prince in the top 10 is just confusing.

benedict
11-25-11, 10:22 AM
11. George Harrison<br> 12. Stevie Ray Vaughan<br> 13. Albert King<br> 14. David Gilmour<br> 15. Freddy King<br> 16. Derek Trucks<br> 17. Neil Young<br> 18. Les Paul<br> 19. James Burton<br> 20. Carlos Santana<br> 21. Chet Atkins<br> 22. Frank Zappa<br> 23. Buddy Guy<br> 24. Angus Young<br> 25. Toni Iommi<br> 26. Brian May<br> 27. Bo Diddley<br> 28. Johnny Ramone<br> 29. Scotty Moore<br> 30. Elmore James<br>No love for Michael Hedges? But good to see five Brits in the Top Ten :p

I suppose having JH as Number One means that you can legitimately omit the likes of Uli Roth and Frank Marino.

cungar
11-25-11, 11:14 AM

Learning to cop a few Hendrix licks doesn't qualify you as a great or groundbreaking guitarist.

foofighters7
11-25-11, 11:18 AM
^
one of the absolute dumbest things I've ever heard about Prince...ever.. Congrats!

covenant
11-25-11, 12:09 PM
11. George Harrison<br> 12. Stevie Ray Vaughan<br> 13. Albert King<br> 14. David Gilmour<br> 15. Freddy King<br> 16. Derek Trucks<br> 17. Neil Young<br> 18. Les Paul<br> 19. James Burton<br> 20. Carlos Santana<br> 21. Chet Atkins<br> 22. Frank Zappa<br> 23. Buddy Guy<br> 24. Angus Young<br> 25. Toni Iommi<br> 26. Brian May<br> 27. Bo Diddley<br> 28. Johnny Ramone<br> 29. Scotty Moore<br> 30. Elmore James<br>No love for Michael Hedges? But good to see five Brits in the Top Ten :p

I suppose having JH as Number One means that you can legitimately omit the likes of Uli Roth and Frank Marino.

Angus over Iommi?

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001184347/indoctrination_outrage_theater_answer_5_xlarge.jpeg

freshticles
11-25-11, 12:38 PM
Prince is a very underrated guitarist, but probably not fit for the list. Regardless, it looks like you have to be over 50 or dead to qualify. Out of the 10, Eddie Van Halen probably should have been 1st.

yoshimi
11-25-11, 01:17 PM
Neil Young is my favorite.

Rypro 525
11-25-11, 06:20 PM
knowing Rolling Stone has a hard on for Cobain, surprised he's not on the list

William Fuld
11-25-11, 06:25 PM

Jason
11-25-11, 08:50 PM
Really not surprised Alex Lifeson is nowhere to be found on the extended list.

astrochimp
11-25-11, 09:09 PM
Really not surprised Alex Lifeson is nowhere to be found on the extended list.

He'd be in my top 10.

yoshimi
11-25-11, 09:55 PM
Rolling Stone only stays in publication so that Pitchfork won't be the most useless music source.

johnnysd
11-27-11, 11:55 PM
Bit surprised Knopfler is not in the Top 10. Really they should do two lists: 1 for composer/influence, and 1 for technical ability.

Josh-da-man
11-28-11, 12:27 AM
The panel of experts recruited to vote for their favourite guitar players included musicians such as Lenny Kravitz, Eddie Van Halen (who was voted No. 8), Brian May and Dan Auerbach from The Black Keys, along with a selection of Rolling Stone's senior writers and editors. The votes were then thrown out and a list of musicians that Jann Wenner always sucks up to was compiled and published as being an authoritative guide to the top guitar players.

fixed

JumpCutz
11-28-11, 02:09 AM

Really? You can't be serious.

I can understand if he's one of your favorite players, that's fine, and don't get me wrong Prince is a good player, but a 10 ten player of all-time?
:lol: Come on now.

Have you heard Scott Henderson, Greg Howe, Tony Macalpine, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Blues Saraceno, Brett Garsed, Al Dimeola, George Lynch, T.J Helmerich, Buckethead, Vinnie Moore, John McLaughlin, Gary Moore, Steve Vai, Chet Atkins, Steve Morse, Allan Holdsworth, Michael Hedges, Danny Gatton, Michael Schenker, Richie Blackmore, Reb Beach, Larry Carlton etc..etc.....etc...????

I could name at least 50 players that have better technique, play with more soul, taste, have superior tone, note selection, phrasing and are more creative than Prince.

Prince is a brilliant musician, but there are many, many guitar players that
are superior.

rw2516
11-28-11, 05:34 AM
Not saying he's one of the all-time greatest, but what do others think of Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult.

cungar
11-28-11, 11:29 AM
HA HA Here's Richard Thompson's reaction to being downgraded to #69:

Rolling Stone, the popular music and related arts and culture magazine, dropped 50 places in Richard Thompson's annual assessment of periodical publications. When asked to comment on the sudden decrease in popularity, Thompson said, "It was a close-run thing for number 68, but I thought Cheese Gourmet Monthly just edged it for their terrific piece on Blue Wensleydale in the August issue. I placed RS above Woman™s Realm, which has had some fairly insipid knitting patterns lately." Rolling Stone were unavailable for comment.

wendersfan
11-28-11, 11:55 AM
:lol:

I would never say anything as ridiculous as, "______ is the greatest guitarist ever," but I've never heard a guitar player as consistently great, entertaining, or versatile as Richard Thompson. He is truly a wonder.

cungar
11-28-11, 12:09 PM
:lol:

I would never say anything as ridiculous as, "______ is the greatest guitarist ever," but I've never heard a guitar player as consistently great, entertaining, or versatile as Richard Thompson. He is truly a wonder.

Agreed. Saw him solo acoustic at McCabe's guitar shop earlier this year. Mesmerising.

Ky-Fi
11-28-11, 01:01 PM
Of course the hippies at Rolling Stone still have their overwhelming 60s rock bias. Not saying the guys on the list aren't great guitarists, but I can think of some I'd put up there.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e0VK9kdVaU0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d-ZB-SzK8lE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dZHqFF9uyxc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SkullOrchard
11-28-11, 01:08 PM
There are plenty of relatively obscure Bluegrass pickers who could run circles around most of the people on this list.

cungar
11-28-11, 01:27 PM
There are plenty of relatively obscure Bluegrass pickers who could run circles around most of the people on this list.

Yep the main criteria for most of this list is that you play decent guitar in a band that's had hit records.

cdollaz
11-28-11, 05:58 PM
So did they pick the "best", as mentioned in the thread title, or the "greatest", as mentioned in the original post?

Those 2 lists would differ.

cungar
11-28-11, 08:54 PM
So did they pick the "best", as mentioned in the thread title, or the "greatest", as mentioned in the original post?

Those 2 lists would differ.

It's just a poll of a bunch of guitarists and few writers. Hard to say what all those people were thinking.

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

CONTRIBUTORS: David Browne, Patrick Doyle, David Fricke, Will Hermes, Brian Hiatt, Alan Light, Rob Tannenbaum, Douglas Wolk

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123#ixzz1f3UOmwFR