Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Sorkin To Write Steve Jobs Biopic ...

Ayre
11-23-11, 02:23 PM
... or not.

The writer of the Oscar-winning film "The Social Network," and long-running TV series "The West Wing," has confirmed that he's been pitched on penning a film about late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57330459-248/sorkin-yep-i-was-pitched-to-pen-steve-jobs-movie/

I like his work a lot (The West Wing), but he should pass this up. It could label him as a hatchet man.

JumpCutz
11-23-11, 02:31 PM
That should be one interesting bit of casting.

Who do you guys think would be a good choice to play Steve Jobs?

PopcornTreeCt
11-23-11, 03:34 PM
Noah Wylie was good in the TV version.

JumpCutz
11-23-11, 05:56 PM
I think Christian Bale would be up to the task.

Drexl
11-23-11, 05:57 PM
That should be one interesting bit of casting.

Emile Hirsch, maybe.

windom
11-23-11, 06:25 PM

Agreed, that's what I've been thinking since the rumors of the movie started. He could certainly pull of the weight loss necessary if he's willing to do that again.

PopcornTreeCt
11-23-11, 08:51 PM
I would think the movie would focus on his younger days, no? Emile Hirsch is a great choice.

Drexl
04-01-12, 07:23 PM
So... Ashton Kutcher?

Yes, I assumed it was an April Fool's joke too, and I love how they had to point that out. But apparently, Jeff Sneider of Variety insists that it's real: Kutcher will portray Jobs in an indie film.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/not-a-joke-ashton-kutcher-to-play-steve-jobs-in-indie-biopic-jobs/

Although, apparently this is a different project from the one Sorkin is writing.

Jason
04-01-12, 07:52 PM

Eddie Murphy. There's no reason a biopic about a Steve Jobs can't be a family-friendly romp featuring a washed up black comedian, is there?

rexinnih
04-02-12, 10:10 AM
Eddie Murphy. There's no reason a biopic about a Steve Jobs can't be a family-friendly romp featuring a washed up black comedian, is there?

You know, this version I would actually see.

Match
04-02-12, 10:27 AM
http://www.yidio.com/images/article/images/_401x271_4019_8.jpg

I would of picked Christian Bale or Demetri. Not Ashton.

Randy Miller III
04-02-12, 10:37 AM
No way...Steve Jobs looks nothing like Bob Dylan.
They should get Heath Ledger instead.

Coral
04-02-12, 11:48 AM
They should get Heath Ledger instead.

Well they do look very similar NOW.

The Cow
04-02-12, 11:49 AM
pics?

RagingBull80
04-02-12, 02:04 PM
http://www.yidio.com/images/article/images/_401x271_4019_8.jpg

I think that Martin would look pretty good in the role but I don't know if he can act.

riotinmyskull
04-02-12, 02:40 PM
I think that Martin would look pretty good in the role but I don't know if he can act.

check out TAKING WOODSTOCK

CloverClover
04-02-12, 02:43 PM
Seems the Ashton Kutcher, Swing Vote director one is a cheapo/cash-in version, so they cast the most 'trendy' actor. The Sorkin one will probably be A-list and have a real actor/director doing it... not far off from the Battle of LA v. Battle of Los Angeles thing

Matthew Chmiel
04-02-12, 05:56 PM
check out TAKING WOODSTOCK
:lol:

PopcornTreeCt
04-02-12, 06:38 PM
Who is Demetri Martin?

JumpCutz
04-02-12, 06:50 PM
Who is Demetri Martin?

Apparently you also need to check out TAKING WOODSHOP.

Solid Snake
04-02-12, 06:51 PM
Some white guy. He was/is a comedian from Comedy Central. Did a movie w/ Ang Lee, Taking Woodstock. That's all I know. He might be Jewish...I don't know why I think that.

Tarantino
04-03-12, 09:53 AM
He's a hilarious comedian. He also had the 'Jonah Hill' role in Moneyball before Soderbergh dropped out.

windom
05-07-12, 06:01 PM
If Matthew Fox isn't busy getting DUIs, he could pull off Jobs in the later years.

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/05/07/0507-mathew-fox-tmz-3.jpg

writer106
05-10-12, 03:49 PM
Noah Wylie was good in the TV version.

I've seen that one a few times and Wylie was perfect in it. Kutcher will be awful in the big screen version.

PenguinJoe
05-10-12, 06:04 PM
Matthew Fox, good call.

DJLinus
11-15-12, 09:06 PM
Well, this is interesting:

Aaron Sorkin's Steve Jobs movie is only going to have three scenes
by Sean O'Neal November 15, 2012

…one scene of Aaron Sorkin's dialogue hitting you, one scene of your jaw hitting the floor, and one scene where a guy wears a mock turtleneck. Or, in a less jokey and more accurate way, three scenes taken from three very specific points in late Apple founder Steve Jobs' life: As Sorkin tells The Daily Beast, his ambitiously unconventional biopic will take place entirely across three scenes that unfold in real time, each of them set backstage before one of Job's famed product launches—"the first being the Mac, the second one being NeXT after he had left Apple, and the third one being the iPod." Of course, it's also possible Sorkin will eventually move away from confining himself to just those scenes, and the discussions that may have taken place during them that just so happened to have symbolic resonance for Steve Jobs at that point in his life.

As of now, he says, the only thing he's set on is the ending, referencing the "Think Different" ad campaign and its "Here's to the crazy ones…" slogan, and saying, "If I can end the movie with that text and that voice over... If I can earn that ending, then I will have written the movie that I wanted to write." Fortunately for Sorkin, a little-known fact about Steve Jobs is that he prepared for every product launch by running around naked, shouting at inanimate objects for not loving him enough.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/aaron-sorkins-steve-jobs-movie-is-only-going-to-ha,88806/

JumpCutz
11-15-12, 11:10 PM
This just became my most anticipated film. My mind is swimming with the directorial possibilities.

bluetoast
11-16-12, 12:19 AM
That's good to know, but damn he's revealing a bit much. I hope it's not the norm to openly talk about how you want to end your story, narrative structure, etc before it's even finished.

adamblast
11-16-12, 12:36 AM
Sounds more like Sorkin wants to write the Steve Jobs stageplay.

The Bus
11-16-12, 04:28 AM
:up:

islandclaws
11-16-12, 10:08 AM
I like the sound of Sorkin's approach. With the right director/actor combo, this could be excellent.

RichC2
11-16-12, 10:10 AM
If the dialogue is good, there doesn't need to be a lot of scenes.

JayDerek
11-16-12, 10:51 AM
If the dialogue is good, there doesn't need to be a lot of scenes.

exactly.

This news makes me very happy - I was hoping we wouldn't get a typical biopic

Solid Snake
11-16-12, 11:02 AM
That's actually pretty bold but I can see it working very well.

sauce07
11-16-12, 11:13 AM
Knowing Sorkin, this won't be just Steve Jobs standing back stage reading over his noted for 30 minutes at a time, he'll be walking and reading his notes.

dex14
02-26-14, 09:58 AM
After delivering the critical and box office smash “The Social Network,” Sony has commissioned the Facebook drama’s creative team for another high-profile techie-themed biopic, this time about Apple founder and tech pioneer Steve Jobs.

Sources tell Variety that David Fincher is in early talks to direct the untitled drama, written by Oscar-winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin and produced by Scott Rudin.

The film is based on the Walter Isaacson biography “Steve Jobs,” to which Sony acquired the rights following the Apple mogul’s death in 2011. Sorkin finished the script earlier this year.

Guymon Casady and Mark Gordon are also on board as producers.

Sorkin has publicly said the Jobs biopic will be divided into three long scenes, each taking place backstage before one of Apple’s infamous product launches.

“The first one being the Mac,” he told the Daily Beast. “The second one being NeXT, after he had left Apple. And the third one being the iPod.”

“It’s a little like writing about the Beatles,” he added. “There are so many people out there that know him and revere him.”

Fincher, who last directed “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” for Sony, is currently in post-production on Fox’s “Gone Girl.” If a deal is completed, filming would most likely not begin to later this year.

Though audiences didn’t rush to see Open Road’s Ashton Kutcher-starring ”Jobs” last year, Sony is confident the Fincher-Sorkin project will have more commercial appeal, given the high-profile creative team involved, not to mention the fact that it’s based on the only authorized biography that Jobs would give his blessing to prior to his death.

The biography, released in 2011, is based on more than 40 interviews Isaacson had with Jobs as well as more than 100 interviews with friends, family and a variety of other associates linked to Jobs over the years.

Fincher is repped by the law firm Hansen, Jacobson, Teller, Hoberman, Newman, Warren, Richman, Rush & Kaller.

His next movie “Gone Girl,” starring Ben Affleck, opens Oct. 3.

Solid Snake
02-26-14, 11:35 AM
I've been waiting for this one. The concept is very interesting. Which is why it has my intrigue.

dex14
02-26-14, 11:49 AM
I've been waiting for this one. The concept is very interesting. Which is why it has my intrigue.

I think the concept is fucking awesome. With Fincher's direction this could be amazing.

Groucho
02-26-14, 11:51 AM
I don't really see the need for this. The Kutcher flick wasn't great, but it did scratch that itch and show that there's not a lot of interest.

TomOpus
02-26-14, 11:56 AM
3 long backstage scenes is supposed to be more commercially appealing? Anything Fincher does is interesting but whether the general public would go for it remains to be seen. Who knows.

inri222
02-26-14, 12:07 PM
Not interested in this, I hope Fincher bails.

Rypro 525
02-26-14, 12:33 PM
I don't really see the need for this. The Kutcher flick wasn't great, but it did scratch that itch and show that there's not a lot of interest.

I think if they get a big name, or at least someone respected, the audiences will come.

Also, release this right before Oscar season (right in Dec) and it can have 3 scenes and the audiences will show up

dex14
03-20-14, 04:45 PM
Oscar winner Christian Bale is David Fincher's choice to play Steve Jobs in the untitled movie that Aaron Sorkin has written for Sony, an individual familiar with the project has told TheWrap.

Scott Rudin and Mark Gordon are producing with Film 360's Guymon Casady.

A representative for Gordon did not immediately respond to TheWrap's request for comment, while Sony declined to comment on the record. A representative for Bale also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Fincher recently met with Sony's Amy Pascal to discuss the possibility of directing the film, and told her, in no uncertain terms, that he'd only take the reins of the project if Bale plays Jobs.

Fincher and Pascal had a tense relationship during the making of “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo,” but Pascal believes in him as a filmmaker — and is inclined to keep him happy, according to one insider. It helps that Pascal has a good relationship with Bale, following a positive experience on “American Hustle.” The film earned Bale an Oscar nomination during a highly-competitive year.

While Steve Jobs is a long way from Batman, Bale has been considered a prime contender to play the tech superhero since the project was first announced due to his physical resemblance to the Apple co-founder.

Bale has not been approached to play Jobs yet, as the actor is taking a brief break from the business to spend time with his family since wrapping the role of Moses in Ridley Scott's “Exodus.” The Biblical epic is expected to have Bale back in the awards conversation.

Sorkin, who won an Oscar for writing Fincher's Facebook drama “The Social Network,” based his script on Walter Isaacson's bestselling authorized biography. That book was, in turn, based on more than 40 interviews that author had with Jobs, as well as interviews with friends, family and colleagues.

The film consists of three long scenes regarding Apple's buzzed-about product launches, including the Mac, NeXT (after Jobs had left Apple) and the iPod.

Production could begin before the end of the year, though an early 2015 start is more likely, as both Bale and Fincher will be busy this fall promoting their respective movies, “Exodus” and “Gone Girl.”

Though Open Road's “Jobs,” which starred Ashton Kutcher, grossed only $35 million worldwide, Sony believes that there is considerable interest across the globe in a Steve Jobs movie made by and featuring A-list talent.

Bale, who will soon be seen in a pair of Terrence Malick movies, has no firm attachments to movies in development. The notoriously selective actor won an Oscar for his supporting performance in David O. Russell's “The Fighter.” He's repped by WME and attorney Carlos Goodman.

dex14
04-14-14, 05:00 PM
Sony Pictures is looking to replace David Fincher as director of its highly anticipated Steve Jobs movie due to his aggressive demands for compensation and control, according to several sources.

Fincher is said to be seeking a hefty $10 million up front in fees, as well as control over marketing, in negotiations with the studio. Sony allowed him considerable input into the marketing of the 2011 film The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, including honoring his request to use the tagline "The feel bad movie of Christmas" in its campaign. A source says Fincher also had the studio create metal, razor-blade-shaped one-sheet materials for the film that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce but were not suitable for display in theaters.

Sony declined to comment. Fincher's reps did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

A source with ties to the studio says Fincher potentially could re-enter negotiations but that the fee he is seeking is “ridiculous,” adding, “You’re not doing Transformers here. You’re not doing Captain America. This is quality — it’s not screaming commerciality. He should be rewarded in success but not up front.”

The Jobs movie, based on Walter Isaacson's acclaimed best-selling biography Steve Jobs, would have reunited the team behind The Social Network, including producer Scott Rudin, writer Aaron Sorkin and Fincher. That film grossed $225 million worldwide in 2010 and scored Sorkin a best adapted screenplay Oscar.

Fincher had wanted Christian Bale to star in the Jobs film, though the actor is not attached to the project.

The negotiation comes at a key time for Sony, which is attempting to enforce greater fiscal responsibility after a lackluster summer 2013 that included such disappointments as After Earth and White House Down. The studio previously had been known for spending more freely than its rivals.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/david-fincher-steve-jobs-movie-696044

Drexl
04-14-14, 05:52 PM
How about Bennett Miller? Rudin worked with him on Moneyball.

JumpCutz
04-14-14, 06:40 PM
I'm not sure what to make of Fincher's demands, I would certainly love to see him take this on though.

Yeah Drexl, Bennett Miller would seem to be a good choice to replace Fincher. I could see that working.

trespoochies
04-14-14, 07:04 PM
Indeed, I think Bennett Miller is destined to be as big Fincher. This movie (along with Foxcatcher) could continue his climb.

RichC2
04-15-14, 08:03 AM
According to Deadline, there's a lot of gossip and bullshit going around with that whole Fincher announcement.

Bennett Miller's direction is generally pretty bland imho.

inri222
04-15-14, 08:12 AM
Not interested in this, I hope Fincher bails.

I posted this a month and a half ago (see post #41).
I'm off to play the lottery.

dex14
04-21-14, 05:35 PM
Moving fast to replace David Fincher on its highly anticipated Steve Jobs movie, Sony Pictures is in talks with Danny Boyle to direct the biopic of the late Apple Computer co-founder. Boyle is said to have approached Leonardo DiCaprio to star.

As The Hollywood Reporter revealed earlier this month, Fincher fell out of the project due to his aggressive demands for compensation and control. Fincher had wanted Christian Bale for the title role, though the actor was not signed.

The film is to be produced by Scott Rudin and written by Aaron Sorkin (The Social Network) based on the best-selling biography of Jobs by Walter Isaacson. Film 360's Guymon Casady and Mark Gordon are also producers on the film.

The Jobs film could mark a reteam of DiCaprio and Boyle, the star and director of 2000's The Beach. Neither has worked with Sorkin before.

Sources caution that deals are not done. And DiCaprio has committed to star in Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu’s thriller The Revenant for New Regency starting in September.

The departure of Fincher dashed hopes of reuniting the team behind Social Network, which grossed $225 million worldwide in 2010.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/danny-boyle-talks-direct-steve-697992

I like the idea of these two re-teaming. I like the idea of Boyle directing this... but I just don't see Leo as Jobs.

HellTrack
04-21-14, 05:39 PM
How many of this exact movie do we need to have? There's already been two.

Rypro 525
04-21-14, 06:00 PM

what was the 2nd? Only other one i know of is the one with Ashton as Jobs

dex14
04-21-14, 06:03 PM
Pirates of Silicon Valley http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168122/?ref_=nv_sr_1

devilshalo
04-21-14, 06:07 PM
Actually, wasn't the Steve Jobs doc one of them? His last interview or something?

johnnysd
04-21-14, 06:35 PM
Definitely a "who cares?" movie for me, especially since it is not all that interesting and been done before.

sauce07
04-21-14, 08:15 PM
Reunite Danny Boyle with Ewan McGregor

Artman
04-21-14, 08:47 PM
I like the idea of these two re-teaming. I like the idea of Boyle directing this... but I just don't see Leo as Jobs.

Yeah, he's already played three real life characters in the last 10yrs, time to get away from those....and I just don't see any resemblance. Bale definitely could pull it off though.

Chadm
04-22-14, 01:05 AM
A Two Lane Blacktop era James Taylor would have made a good young Steve Jobs. Same with a younger Steve Coogan.

But I don't know about Leonardo DiCaprio. After reading the Bryan Singer thread and finding out Leo was a racist homosexual, I don't know if I'll be able to look at him the same way.

PenguinJoe
04-22-14, 09:31 AM
Get Demetri Martin, he looks and seems the most like Jobs.

devilshalo
10-02-14, 08:28 PM
Leonardo DiCaprio Exits Steve Jobs Biopic as Contenders Line Up (Exclusive)
1:15 PM PST 10/02/2014 by Tatiana Siegel , Borys Kit

Leonardo DiCaprio will not be tackling the role of Steve Jobs.

The actor, who had been in talks with Sony to play the late Apple Computer co-founder for director Danny Boyle, has bowed out to instead shoot The Revenant. But instead of making the untitled Jobs biopic right after, as had been hoped, DiCaprio has removed himself from the project altogether. Sources say after DiCaprio finishes The Revenant, which began shooting this week, he plans to take a lengthy break from acting.

Though the Jobs project, based on Walter Isaacson's book and adapted by Aaron Sorkin, is one of the most anticipated biopics in recent years, it has encountered a few roadblocks since the best-seller was first optioned by the studio in 2011, around the time of Jobs' death.

David Fincher had been in talks to direct, but as The Hollywood Reporter revealed in April, he left the project over compensation and control issues.

Now with DiCaprio out, the studio is eyeing a number of actors to take on the iconic tech figure, who has been both worshipped and reviled. Christian Bale, whom Fincher wanted for the title role, is on Sony’s wish list, as is Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Bradley Cooper (though Affleck seems unlikely given that he just signed on for the thriller The Accountant).

Scott Rudin is producing alongside Film 360's Guymon Casady and Mark Gordon.

The Jobs film would have marked a reteaming of DiCaprio and Boyle, who previously teamed on 2000's The Beach.

Drexl
10-02-14, 08:58 PM
I don't like any of those choices, really. This should probably go to someone lesser known.

HN
10-03-14, 09:56 AM
would Stanley Tucci be too old for the timeframe they're going for?

RichC2
10-05-14, 12:39 PM

Pirates only covered through before the big Apple revival of the 2000s.

Jobs was wildly inaccurate and terrible.

So I guess the guy gets to have one complete, decent movie.

devilshalo
10-15-14, 01:53 PM
Christian Bale in Talks to Play Steve Jobs (Exclusive)
11:26 AM PST 10/15/2014 by Tatiana Siegel , Borys Kit

No Leo, no problem.

Less than two weeks after Leonardo DiCaprio broke off talks with Sony to play Steve Jobs, the studio has set its sights back on Christian Bale.

Sources say Sony is beginning negotiations with The Fighter actor, who was originally eyed to play the late Apple Computer co-founder back when David Fincher was in talks to direct. The move comes after Bale's negotiations with Fox to star in The Deep Blue Goodbye hit a roadblock. Sources say Fox was trying to include sequel options for Bale to tackle the lead role of Detective Travis McGee in what is hoped to be a franchise starter, but the actor balked. Now, talks are ongoing with Bale without sequel options, but even if a deal is reached, the actor would shoot the Jobs project before Deep Blue Goodbye.

Danny Boyle is directing the untitled Jobs film, which is based on Walter Isaacson's book and adapted by Aaron Sorkin and is one of the most anticipated biopics in recent years. Sony optioned the best-seller in 2011, around the time of Jobs' death.

Fincher had been in talks to direct, but as The Hollywood Reporter revealed in April, he left the project over compensation and control issues.

After DiCaprio bowed out, Bale emerged as a front-runner to take on the iconic tech figure, along with Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Bradley Cooper.

Scott Rudin is producing the Jobs film alongside Film 360's Guymon Casady and Mark Gordon.

bluetoast
10-15-14, 02:14 PM
I thought the group leader from Breaking Bad had the look, at least for the 90's and beyond:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Bp9stt-sWVo/TiZuPzOLyNI/AAAAAAAAA3U/F7eIL12JIko/s1600/jere+burns.jpg