Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Before Midnight (2013, D: Linklater, S: Hawke, Delpy)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Richard Linklater make the "Before ____" series a trilogy?

Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Before ______?

Will we find out what finally happens to Jesse and Celine? Or will it be left to our imagination?
Old 08-05-04, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Will Richard Linklater make the "Before ____" series a trilogy?

Originally posted by Aphex Twin

Will we find out what finally happens to Jesse and Celine?
Yes, someday. Here's a recent interview Linklater did for Filmmaker magazine:

http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/spr...paris_day.html
Old 08-05-04, 04:18 PM

Why does it have to be a trilogy? It could be any number of movies, as long as the three players (Linklater, Hawke, Delpy) are still interested every once in a while. Maybe it'll be four movies and the next two are After Dawn and After Dusk?
Old 08-05-04, 04:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TheHistorian
Why does it have to be a trilogy? It could be any number of movies,
That's what I've heard Linklater hint at in several recent interviews here and there, following up on these characters every few years. As long as the quality is sustained, I like the idea.
Old 08-05-04, 05:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Do we have to wait another 10 years? I hope not...
Old 08-05-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Will Richard Linklater make the "Before ____" series a trilogy?

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Before ______?
Prequel.

Before Sunday School.
Old 11-10-04, 08:08 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I just saw before sunset on dvd. I loved before sunrise. i wish they had not made this movie. The first movie had such magic to it. This movie was so cynical, so mean almost. Jesse was okay but celine was so, so french for lack of a better word. so different from her character. I am an attorney and even i am not as jaded as her. when you make a perfect movie don't make a sequel. an action movie can be franchised but romance, magic cannot.
Old 11-10-04, 10:51 AM
Banned

Originally posted by sabre
I just saw before sunset on dvd. I loved before sunrise. i wish they had not made this movie. The first movie had such magic to it. This movie was so cynical, so mean almost. Jesse was okay but celine was so, so french for lack of a better word. so different from her character.
I don't agree with this at all. This film takes place nine years after the first. That is a long time. People live life. Deal with the frustrations of growing up. Evolve. And change. Celine was already dealing with being a young idealist in a world that increasingly angered her in the first movie, recall the scene in the trolley. I saw her character in this film as a natural progression and completely being true to the character. She is world-weary, angry, but also very clearly intelligent and more luminous and sexy than she was the last time. And like it or not her monologues about the U.S. and it's place in the world, and the negative effects on other countries have a lot of truth to them. As for your comment about her being French, this made me laugh. Recall her lines from Sunrise from the aforementioned trolley scene: "Americans are the worst....I hate how when I wear black or when I say anything about anything they are always like, "Oh, she is so French".

This is my second best film of the year (after Eternal Sunshine...).
Old 11-10-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One can only hope. Loved the first two movies. I have read they want to come back to the characters eventually but, yeah, I hope it's not another 10 years. How about 2?
Old 11-10-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if the quality level would increase between the second and third one as between the first and second, then of course. with most sequels the cast changes somewhat and most actors are in it just for the $$. with these actors, i think they actually care about the characters. why else would they have gotten back together after NINE years to make a movie that realistically, wasn't going to make them much money?
Old 02-05-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Finally watched these 2 films, the first one last night, and the second tonight tonight, and I thought they were interesting, and curiousity can be a bitch, and amazingly enough is the grass always greener? I liked the followup, but I thought the writing was really true between 2 people who just click and flow, and when it's done right, it's very interesting and heartfelt. Both Delpy and Hawke do a fine job of staying in the moment with their characters, and make it feel like it's only just them, and the viewer is an invisible observer, taking in such intimate and honest emotional insight between the interaction between Jesse and Celine.

If a third installment shows up within a decade, perhaps it'll be called "Before Midnight" or "Before Sunday".

Last edited by Patman; 02-05-05 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-05-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder where they'd go for a third movie. Probably they gave things a try and broke up. One can only wonder.
Old 02-05-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
While I liked Sunrise, I thought Sunset had more of a natural flow to it. I also liked the fact that it was shot in real time and gave it a more realistic flow.
FWIW, I wouldn't mind seeing these characters every few years in this kind of setting; it would give me a nice set of movies for certain periods in my life.
Old 02-05-05, 12:58 PM

I'll be in the minority on this one. I think two was fine. No need to kill a good thing.

What ultimately happens with Jesse and Celine should be left open-ended IMO.
Old 02-05-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Before Tea-time?

I just like the term "tea-time".
Old 02-05-05, 02:03 PM

I wish i saw sunrise first... unknowingly i saw sunset first... but sunset was really interesting
Old 02-05-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton
Do we have to wait another 10 years? I hope not...

Personally, I hope we do. One of the big appeals of the sequel for me was seeing where the characters were 10 years later as people; yeah, they could do it next year and fake it as being 10 years on, but it wouldn't have the same sincerity for me as it would if it were actually done in 2014. I can wait.
Old 04-26-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just saw Sunset (incredible and more emotionally resonant), so I figured this was the best thread to go to.

Anyway, I think there will be two more movies, the next one in about 5 or 6 years, and then one more around the time they are both middle aged. My guess will be the next is them finally getting together, and then the one after that will be them dealing with that relationship once they've both grown together alot.
Old 04-26-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Courtesy of AICN (Posted on April 20, 2005):

(snip)

So, last night, my class enjoyed a screening of WAKING LIFE, followed by a rare Q&A with the man himself, Mr. Richard Linklater.

(snip)

Speaking of (the "Before" series), he suggested that there may be further romantic adventures in store for the two characters. “Maybe we’ll see them again in another five or seven years... It would be like the SEVEN-UP series.” He said that he and Ethan talk about the possibility of making it an ongoing series every time they meet. “The big hurdle was making the first follow-up, and now that we know we can…” he trailed off with a smile. He also joked that if the characters are to be revisited in future films, that the stars would probably appreciate it if any sexual stuff appeared while they were still young and beautiful. I don’t know if there will ever be a time when those two aren’t beautiful people. The only trouble I can see with doing a third one is the title. You’ve done BEFORE SUNRISE and BEFORE SUNSET, so what’s left? (snip)
-JP
Old 04-26-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only trouble I can see with doing a third one is the title. You’ve done BEFORE SUNRISE and BEFORE SUNSET, so what’s left? (snip)
My bet is: Before the Apocolypse
Old 04-26-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They should start doing crossovers.

Before Dawn of the Dead

Two lovers in zombie infensted Paris. They hold up in the Louvre with a small group of survivors.
Old 04-26-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd be there for the midnight showing Ryo.
Old 04-26-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They already made a third movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367479/
Old 11-21-11, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm totally game for this. love the first 2.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsono...en-next-summer

What Comes After Before Sunrise & Before Sunset? Hawke Says Third Chapter May Happen Next Summer

Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy and director Richard Linklater are teaming up for a third chapter to accompany their beloved indie films "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset." Hawke tells Allocine, "All of three of us have been having similar feelings that we're ready to revisit those characters. There's nine years between the first two movies and, if we made the film next summer, it would be nine years again so we really started thinking that would be a good thing to do. We're going to try to write it this year." Revisit each of the films and the Jesse-Celine love story below:

More details at The Playlist on what else Hawke and Linklater--who have made six films together so far--have in the works.
Old 11-21-11, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
re: Before Midnight (2013, D: Linklater, S: Hawke, Delpy)

Nice, the first movie is great, the second was perfect. I like all these long term projects Linklater has been working on, he also working on that 20 year movie with Uma Thurman.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.