DVD Talk
Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2012 Horror Challenge [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2012 Horror Challenge

Chad
11-21-11, 08:44 PM
I'm not on the same computer I saved the info on, but I do recall a few suggestions mentioned...

- Earning a new wild card for every 100 films watched

- Changing 'Won an Academy Award' to 'Nominated for an Academy Award', ditching it altogether or adding more awards (ie Bafta)

- Combining 'Horror Host' with 'MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic'

- Combining 'Attack of / Day of / Night of / Return of / Revenge of' into one category or ditching them altogether

I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks.

Darkgod
11-21-11, 09:05 PM
Anyone with 100+ movies gets invited to post their in the list thread first.... one of these days I'll make it to page 1

NoirFan
11-21-11, 09:13 PM
There was also some discussion of changing the 'Musicals' category to something else, which I'd be all for. As for the suggestions mentioned, I vote yes on all 4 (the first one was my brilliant idea), with 'Won' changed to 'Nominated' with regards to the Academy checklist item.

BobO'Link
11-21-11, 09:29 PM
Wow! Not wasting any time, eh? :)

Overall I felt it was a very good year. Theme nights syncing with 31 films subset was great even though I didn't watch as many of them as I'd have liked.

What you've mentioned already look like excellent changes. I like the idea of using "nominated for" as the award item *and* include other awards (Bafta, etc.) to the mix to open it up a bit.

I'll have to read back through this year's thread for more ideas...

terrycloth
11-21-11, 10:10 PM
i agree with changes posted and really enjoyed options with the checklist (ie doug bradley or sid haig)

possibly only suggestion if we have so many awesome prizes next year as we did this year id say bump up to more winners for best looking lists...this year was ridiculously hard to pick a top 3 with so many people posting reviews, stats, creative designs, etc...which reading through everyone lists is the best part of the challenge and wish i had time to do it with mine.

ooo yeah one other change.... extend the challenge to 12 months!

NoirFan
11-21-11, 10:40 PM
I like the idea of using "nominated for" as the award item *and* include other awards (Bafta, etc.) to the mix to open it up a bit.

Including any/all awards would likely include way too many films though. There are probably a million films, horror or otherwise, that have been nominated for some award or another. I'd prefer keeping it specifically Oscar-based.

terrycloth
12-17-11, 12:13 AM
^ I'd use the 2012 planning thread.

ok taking this advice sorry if this constitute as spamming

original post
sorry to bump this again...lol so anyone itching for horror talk?

despite participating lightly in comedy and holiday challenges im still mostly watching horror and miss having a spot to talk about it with people. i brought it up briefly in the discussion and know the horror movie club bombed but figured id see if any interest at all in a monthly horror discussion thread ? hell we have one for wrestling dvds. if interested would it be better in this thread or prolly in the horror group forum where no one seems to use

now to add to this

i tried to make a thread as an example in "horror freaks" group forum but wouldnt let me...i assume you can only post if you join, but cant figure out how to join and figured being hidden wont help getting participation.

would this type of thread go better in this section or like the reviews?

Giles
12-17-11, 08:59 PM

Overall I felt it was a very good year. Theme nights syncing with 31 films subset was great even though I didn't watch as many of them as I'd have liked.

What you've mentioned already look like excellent changes. I like the idea of using "nominated for" as the award item *and* include other awards (Bafta, etc.) to the mix to open it up a bit.

I'll have to read back through this year's thread for more ideas...

sheesh! no kidding...

nodeerforamonth
12-20-11, 08:46 AM
Please call it a "horror challenge" and not a "horror movie challenge" unless only movies are allowed.

Trevor
02-17-12, 09:01 AM
Anyone with 100+ movies gets invited to post their in the list thread first.... one of these days I'll make it to page 1
You've been on page one 3 of the past 5 years!

My suggestion for Chad: Make October happen more often.

Chad
08-03-12, 04:45 PM
This is without a doubt the fewest amount of posts a feedback thread has ever received up to this point. I'll take that as a sign that we've almost achieved perfection as opposed to this forum dying a slow death over the years. ;)

Anyway, a couple or so reasons for the bump:

First off, it's to give a heads up that I'll be posting the main thread a week early this year. I'm having back surgery on August 29 and can't be completely sure when I'll be up and able to do so if I wait until September. It's being done out of town and I definitely won't be lugging my laptop around (tablet only), so who knows when.

Also, it's to ask for last-minute feedback. I know it sounds incredibly early to be asking this, but it's already August(!) and I'm incredibly pressed for time as it is.

That said, any more suggestions for checklist items, new theme night ideas or even sponsors? Anything. At this point the thread's pretty much ready to go, the checklist is 95% complete and theme nights is reaching the halfway point. And I *think* I've included the majority of checklist item suggestions presented last year.

And finally, would anyone like to volunteer to be a standby host in September? All that would entail is getting people to pick their 31 film subset pick, syncing them up with theme nights and creating the actual list itself. Seriously doubt this'll even be necessary, but just as a precautionary method.

That's it. For now, anyway.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
08-03-12, 04:59 PM
I remember you saying I could have any of the prizes, for no other reason than you really, really like me.

NoirFan
08-03-12, 05:08 PM
I hope everything goes well with your surgery, Chad. Bela Lugosi's birthday is 10/20, so perhaps that could be a theme night, with everyone attempting to watch at least one Lugosi film (other than Dracula), and the more adventurous among us making a day or at least a double-feature out of it? As far as sponsors go, how about checking with Shout Factory and Family Video?

shadokitty
08-03-12, 07:23 PM
I hope your surgery goes well Chad. Wow, it seems like a lot of us are having medical problems this year.

shellebelle
08-03-12, 08:27 PM
I'm not on the same computer I saved the info on, but I do recall a few suggestions mentioned...

- Changing 'Won an Academy Award' to 'Nominated for an Academy Award', ditching it altogether or adding more awards (ie Bafta)

- Combining 'Attack of / Day of / Night of / Return of / Revenge of' into one category or ditching them altogether

I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks.

I would say ditch the "Attack of / Day of / Night of...". There are only so many movies with those in there and they've been watched to death.

I like combining the "Horror Host" with the others.

Change the Academy Award to the Nominated for.

That's about all I can think of right now.

shellebelle
08-03-12, 08:30 PM
Oh, have a category for "Teen Screams". There are a ton of movies out there for that. I also agree with Nodeerforamonth in that it should be changed to "Horror Challenge" if you are going to allow tv shows. Personally, I would just prefer the movies with no TV allowed. But that's just me.

Ash Ketchum
08-03-12, 09:19 PM
What happened to the Criterion Challenge in September?

Cardsfan111
08-03-12, 09:44 PM
What happened to the Criterion Challenge in September?

That's an odd question in the October Horror Challenge Feedback thread. ;)

Seriously, I've never participated in the Criterion challenge, so I can't recall off the top of my head who "hosts" that one, but I'm sure a thread will be created for that one in the not-too-distant future. Chad is only getting a jumpstart on the October challenge since it's possible he'll be out of the loop next month when much of the discussion, etc takes place.

SterlingBen
08-03-12, 11:38 PM
Anyone else take vacation days in October specifically for extra movie time? (Ok and 1 to attend Oktober fest)

SterlingBen
08-03-12, 11:43 PM
How about double points for live events (plays, conventions, ect).
Bring back the Pre-MPAA check
And maybe kill/death-by checks? (Knife/machete, motor vehicle, radioactive liquor, aliens). Although that might add a bit too much to the checklist (just an idea).
Dump the academy awards category altogether.

terrycloth
08-03-12, 11:46 PM
Anyone else take vacation days in October specifically for extra movie time? (Ok and 1 to attend Oktober fest)

i take 4 day weekends every week starting in september and leading into October and take off the last week of October to celebrate Halloween....helps get viewing time in but usually spend my time off on trips to haunted houses and other festivities

shadokitty
08-03-12, 11:47 PM
This thread has got me in the mood to watch some horror. I think this month I'll mix in some horror movies with the animation challenge.

Pizza
08-04-12, 12:45 AM
I suggested this last year. To encourage more people to vote, make it that you can't be eligable for a prize if you don't vote.

Do you have a 3d category for your list? There's a few 3d horror films out now, not to mention The Creature of the Black Lagoon that's coming out.

SterlingBen
08-04-12, 01:15 AM
Do you have a 3d category for your list?

Oh, good one.

SethDLH
08-04-12, 01:23 AM
I vote for dumping awards categories. Other than specialized awards its rare for a genre film to get nominated let alone win. I feel like the horror film has plenty of films that stand among any other more "legitimate" films that were never nominated for anything that it's just not needed.

I also agree with not being eligible for a prize unless you vote on lists.

Elvira/host should definitely be combined with riffing since many hosts did their own riffing anyways.

I think not allowing TV is silly since horror has a long and rich history in TV that gets more accessible every year.

And finally I'd ditch the night/day/dawn/whatever of title category. The titles are too limited.

I've been thinking about stocking up on movies and setting stuff aside for weeks now for the challenge and the bump in this thread has me so anxious!

SterlingBen
08-04-12, 02:13 AM
This year the Summer Sci-Fi Challenge started a day early and I quite liked that. How about a bonus day!
Starting Dawn Sep 30th?

Ash Ketchum
08-04-12, 05:18 AM
This thread has got me in the mood to watch some horror. I think this month I'll mix in some horror movies with the animation challenge.

There are tons of anime horror titles that are eligible for the Animation Challenge.

I watched some for the Horror Challenge last year. Here's a list I made for myself last October:

Anime with horror themes:

DEVILMAN
DEVILMAN LADY
VAMPIRE WARS
VAMPIRE HUNTER D
VAMPIRE PRINCESS MIYU
USHIO & TORA
AYAKASHI - SAMURAI HORROR TALES: YOTSUYA GHOST STORY
SHUTEN DOJI
DEVIL HUNTER YOHKO
NINJA RESURRECTION (Parts 1 & 2: The Revenge of Jubei & Hell’s Spawn) (1997)
BLOOD REIGN: CURSE OF THE YOMA (Parts 1 & 2) (aka YOMA: CURSE OF THE UNDEAD)
SPIRIT WARRIOR
WICKED CITY
DEMON CITY SHINJUKU
GHOST SWEEPER MIKAMI
AMON: APOCALYPSE OF DEVILMAN
BLOOD THE LAST VAMPIRE
VAMPIRE HUNTER: THE ANIMATED SERIES (aka Darkstalkers’ Revenge)
TRINITY BLOOD
DEATH NOTE
HELLSING
BOOGIEPOP PHANTOM
TOKYO REVELATION
BERSERK
3X3 EYES
VAMPIRE HUNTER D: BLOODLUST

NoirFan
08-04-12, 08:20 AM
To reiterate, from the four questions originally posed:

I'm in favor of one and three, eliminating four and two. Adding 3D as a category is a good idea - either watching a film in true 3D (Creature from the Black Lagoon, Final Destination 4 [which Netflix carries for rental], MBV, etc.), in anaglyph (Friday the 13th Part III, Nightmare on Elm Street 5) or a film that was originally projected in 3D (Jaws 3, House of Wax).

riotinmyskull
08-04-12, 08:40 AM
is it that time of year again already? can't wait! :)

BobO'Link
08-04-12, 09:22 AM
Earning a new wild card for every 100 films watched
I don't use wild cards so I'm neutral on this one.
Changing 'Won an Academy Award' to 'Nominated for an Academy Award', ditching it altogether or adding more awards (ie Bafta)
After giving it more thought - change to "Nominated". That widens it enough.
Combining 'Horror Host' with 'MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic'
Yes!
Combining 'Attack of / Day of / Night of / Return of / Revenge of' into one category or ditching them altogether.
Either way. Combining provides enough choices to not limit you to only a few films, but ditching it would be good too.
...I'm having back surgery on August 29 and can't be completely sure when I'll be up and able to do so if I wait until September. It's being done out of town and I definitely won't be lugging my laptop around (tablet only), so who knows when.
Good luck on your surgery! I had a micro-diskectomy done about 10 years ago. Recovery from that type is faster than the full invasion type but it still is no fun.
I suggested this last year. To encourage more people to vote, make it that you can't be eligable for a prize if you don't vote.
I like this too.
Do you have a 3d category for your list?
Blech! I don't see all the love for "3D". If this is included at least make it so the film doesn't have to be watched in "3D" but only had to have been produced/enhanced for "3D" during theatrical distribution.

Trevor
08-04-12, 09:45 AM
I'll probably post more 'votes' later, but here are three quick comments:

Love the idea of no prizes unless you vote, even though this may knock my lazy self out.

Love extending our Challenges a bit, but hate the entire day early stuff. Dusk on the night before and dawn on the morning after are my preferences.

I always try to take vacation in October and can't wait for this.

08-04-12, 10:13 AM
This year the Summer Sci-Fi Challenge started a day early and I quite liked that. How about a bonus day!
Starting Dawn Sep 30th?

I like this since there's a handful of Criterion titles that qualify. Since it falls on a Sunday, that would let everyone get a full day in. Even if someone doesn't own any of the titles, hulu is streaming a bunch of them.

After giving it more thought - change to "Nominated". That widens it enough.

Either way. Combining provides enough choices to not limit you to only a few films, but ditching it would be good too.

Blech! I don't see all the love for "3D". If this is included at least make it so the film doesn't have to be watched in "3D" but only had to have been produced/enhanced for "3D" during theatrical distribution.

I agree with nominated for academy. Doing it as a winner of any award is way too much since there's all sorts of tiny horror award lists out there.

I like combining night/day/etc since it allows more films. What I also like is the idea of adding a lot more things to the checklist but doing them in small groups where you only need to do one of them. For those of us that do the checklist, that gives us more variety to what we watch from year to year. I know there's a few films I end up pulling out each time that I'd rather not watch but I have more interest in getting something checked, so I have to watch it.

I also like not forcing someone to watch something in 3D but if it was produced/enhanced, as being ok, for a couple reasons. Not everyone can see films in 3D due to eye issues. Not everyone is easily able to, or wants, to go see whatever 3D movie is playing at the expensive movie theater.

Speaking of theaters, I also like the idea of a bonus for going to one. They're freaking expensive, so it would be nice to get some extra benefit.

Undeadcow
08-04-12, 10:56 AM
+1 to deleting Academy Awards all together...

I also like the idea of a "killed by...[i.e. machete, drowning, etc]" checklist item.

Good luck to Chad with his surgery.

BobO'Link
08-04-12, 11:28 AM
...Speaking of theaters, I also like the idea of a bonus for going to one. They're freaking expensive, so it would be nice to get some extra benefit.
That sounds good too. I avoid them like the plague for many reasons, expense being one (why "rent" when I can own for a couple $$ more), but for those who *do* enjoy the experience they should receive some lagniappe for their effort.

NoirFan
08-04-12, 11:44 AM
If there are enough prizes available, perhaps one of them could require at least one theatrical viewing for participants to qualify?

mrpeavey
08-04-12, 12:27 PM

To be fair to this thread (and I know the quote above came from the last year), the local Dollar Tree started putting out Halloween merchandise last weekend. :)

BobO'Link
08-04-12, 02:46 PM
^I'll see your Dollar Tree Halloween merchandise and raise with Thanksgiving merchandise at Big Lots. :D

08-04-12, 04:36 PM
I also like the idea of a "killed by...[i.e. machete, drowning, etc]" checklist item.

Or why not something like:

List 10 different ways someone was killed:
1. --- -killed by x-
2. --- -killed by x-
3. --- -killed by x-
4. --- -killed by x-
5. --- -killed by x-
6. --- -killed by x-
7. --- -killed by x-
8. --- -killed by x-
9. --- -killed by x-
10. --- -killed by x-

It leaves it nice and open for variety.

Maybe start an optional stats section as well.
# of boobies
# of on-screen kills
etc.

I know at least a couple people were keeping track of it and I might try doing it this year.

Chad
08-04-12, 11:49 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes. My goal is to a) not die and b) survive a catheter being shoved up my penis. Honestly, the latter scares me more than any surgery ever could. :lol:

I remember you saying I could have any of the prizes, for no other reason than you really, really like me.

Sounds like something I'd be inclined to say when I'm on the heavy meds.

Bela Lugosi's birthday is 10/20, so perhaps that could be a theme night, with everyone attempting to watch at least one Lugosi film (other than Dracula), and the more adventurous among us making a day or at least a double-feature out of it? As far as sponsors go, how about checking with Shout Factory and Family Video?

I'll consider it. Currently I have 10/20 reserved for the usual vampire films theme and acknowledged his 130th birthday along with the 100th anniversary of Bram Stoker's death. I was considering getting more specific with a few of the broad categories (i.e. "1980's Vampire Films" opposed to just "Vampires"), although that might limit things a bit much.

I would like to make watching a Bela film another option for a bonus entry. That way, those that don't care for what's playing theatrically or just don't have the time would have another option to still complete theme nights. But only 1 bonus entry allowed.

And Scream Factory's already on the to contact list. Family Video added.

I like combining the "Horror Host" with the others.

Yeah, not all of us grew up with a local horror host. Personally the ones in my area were off the air well before I was even born. Just Joe Bob Briggs and Rhonda Shear.

Oh, have a category for "Teen Screams". There are a ton of movies out there for that. I also agree with Nodeerforamonth in that it should be changed to "Horror Challenge" if you are going to allow tv shows. Personally, I would just prefer the movies with no TV allowed. But that's just me.

Noted. I believe the first theme nights list had Teen Screams on it although it never appeared on the checklist.

And sorry, just can't do the name change thing. As Mister Peepers brought up in the past, AT&T originally stood for "American Telephone & Telegraph" and obviously the latter is no longer relevant, but the name remained intact. Not to mention, AMC originally stood for "American Movie Classics" 10 years ago when competing with TCM and that's obviously no longer the case. The name is simply a tradition.

Chad is only getting a jumpstart on the October challenge since it's possible he'll be out of the loop next month when much of the discussion, etc takes place.

Hopefully just the first week.

I get 3 months off thanks to the surgery. :D

How about double points for live events (plays, conventions, ect).

Not that I'm against it, but the major problem with that is it's dependent on location. Not all of us have conventions and the like to attend.

And maybe kill/death-by checks? (Knife/machete, motor vehicle, radioactive liquor, aliens). Although that might add a bit too much to the checklist (just an idea).

I think there's room for a little checklist expansion.

I'm still on the fence about it although I do like the idea. Much like getting everyone to number their lists, it's almost an impossible feat. Even though it's a pain in the ass to number everything myself, well, I still do it. Don't wanna be a dictator forcing people to do something they may not want to.

Maybe a special prize drawing for those who do vote instead? I don't know.

Do you have a 3d category for your list? There's a few 3d horror films out now, not to mention The Creature of the Black Lagoon that's coming out.

Not currently, but I can add it. Naturally it would have to allow the option to view the films in 2D as well.

Starting Dawn Sep 30th?

I'd totally be down for that. That way we'd at least start on a Sunday instead of a monotonous Monday and allow for more Criterion challenge crossover.

Good luck on your surgery! I had a micro-diskectomy done about 10 years ago. Recovery from that type is faster than the full invasion type but it still is no fun.

It's a spinal fusion. As far as recovery goes, it's 2 or 3 months of no bending, lifting or twisting, 3 months of surgical pain, 3 months out of work, 1 month of no driving and physical therapy 3 or so months down the road. Fun times ahead.

If there are enough prizes available, perhaps one of them could require at least one theatrical viewing for participants to qualify?

Sure.

Or why not something like:

1. --- -killed by x-
2. --- -killed by x-
3. --- -killed by x-
4. --- -killed by x-
5. --- -killed by x-
6. --- -killed by x-
7. --- -killed by x-
8. --- -killed by x-
9. --- -killed by x-
10. --- -killed by x-

It leaves it nice and open for variety.

# of boobies
# of on-screen kills
etc.

I know at least a couple people were keeping track of it and I might try doing it this year.

I like it. Very Joe Bob Briggs-esque. Yeah, this is going to be one big ass checklist.

shadokitty
08-05-12, 12:49 AM
There are tons of anime horror titles that are eligible for the Animation Challenge.

I found Witchblade on youtube. Would you say that has kind of a horror theme in it?

SterlingBen
08-05-12, 01:05 AM
# of boobies
# of on-screen kills
etc.

I think counting the boobs might take the fun out of seeing them.

Now that I say that I am contemplating buying one of those click counters, like what they use to count people. But that might be weird....click.. click click click click.... "What are you doing in there?"

Ash Ketchum
08-05-12, 05:59 AM
I found Witchblade on youtube. Would you say that has kind of a horror theme in it?

I've never actually seen any of that myself. I just looked it up and I'm kind of intrigued.

Here's how Anime News Network defines it: Genres: action, drama, science fiction, supernatural
Themes: ecchi, post-apocalyptic, superhero

And here's their plot sum-up:
Plot Summary: In 22nd-Century Japan, Masane Amaha, one of the surviving catastrophe that destroyed Tokyo becomes the latest in an ancient line of women-only warriors to wield the mysterious sentient weapon known only throughout history as "the Witchblade". Protecting her little girl, she will face her worst fear ....

So it sounds more sci-fi than horror.

nodeerforamonth
08-05-12, 10:51 AM
I like calling it "Horror Challenge" and not "Horror Movie Challenge". That way TV shows can be included (legitimately).

terrycloth
08-05-12, 12:11 PM
i like the types of kill addition and will make me be more creative in my first few selections to add some creative kills *eyeballs Gutterballs*

i dont mind whether tv is allowed or not i always end up watching alot of Halloween themed shows

Does going to a Haunted house or a ghost tour count on the lists?

Chad
08-05-12, 04:40 PM
Does going to a Haunted house or a ghost tour count on the lists?

I was thinking about making that along with the conventions and plays mentioned earlier as an optional item on the checklist, but might have a better idea in mind. Let me get back to you on that.

Anyway, so far I've added the following 3 suggestions to the main thread and checklist...

The bonus day:

This year we have a bonus day and it kicks off Sunday, September 30 at Midnight.
And, yeah, it technically ends on 11/1 at Dawn.

Earning a new wild card for every 100 films watched.

And the checklist "killed by" item:

1. --- -killed by x-
2. --- -killed by x-
3. --- -killed by x-
4. --- -killed by x-
5. --- -killed by x-
6. --- -killed by x-
7. --- -killed by x-
8. --- -killed by x-
9. --- -killed by x-
10. --- -killed by x-

Might tweak it just a slight bit.

Of course if anyone has a legitimate reason why whatever shouldn't be added I'm listening.

SterlingBen
08-05-12, 05:23 PM
And I purchased a tally clicker. They are less than $2 shipped from china on ebay.

Darkgod
08-05-12, 06:00 PM
I don't like the whole extra day. I mean to mean October is horror, starting in September doesn't feel right to me...

Darkgod
08-05-12, 06:00 PM
You've been on page one 3 of the past 5 years!

My suggestion for Chad: Make October happen more often.

only if you increase the posts per page... I do 25, so I never make it

shadokitty
08-05-12, 08:16 PM
I like the idea of the horror hosts, as on one of my local channels, Svengoolie airs every saturday night.

Chad
08-07-12, 08:37 PM
Okay, back after a brief hiatus.

Gots to get more feedback on starting a day early. So far:

Starting Dawn Sep 30th?

Love extending our Challenges a bit, but hate the entire day early stuff. Dusk on the night before and dawn on the morning after are my preferences.

I like this since there's a handful of Criterion titles that qualify. Since it falls on a Sunday, that would let everyone get a full day in. Even if someone doesn't own any of the titles, hulu is streaming a bunch of them.

I don't like the whole extra day. I mean to mean October is horror, starting in September doesn't feel right to me...

Last year we had already the good fortune to start on a Saturday. This time we'd be starting and ending on a bad note - Monday and Thursday. If we kicked this off a day early at midnight, that would give us an additional late Saturday night and all day Sunday. That's a full day of Criterion crossover and an opportunity to start off big. Look at it as the kinda/sorta challenge version of Devil's Night (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Night). It's not like we'd call it "The 8th Annual September/October Horror Movie Challenge" as we all know I'm stubborn in that respect. And hey, if other challenges can do it -and- FOX can air The Simpsons Halloween episode in November, well, there you go. That's my plea.

Is a separate poll thread in order? Not especially big on them and haven't done one in years, but if that's what it takes...

shadokitty
08-07-12, 08:46 PM
I see your point about starting and ending on a bad note Chad, and like the idea of starting a day early on the weekend.

BobO'Link
08-07-12, 08:47 PM
^^Starting a day early works for me. It'll give me more time to work in all the new stuff I've lined up as well as focus on the Universal horror titles this year. It also takes a bit of the sting out of only having *4* Saturdays and Sundays this year. Last year there were *5* each.

SethDLH
08-07-12, 08:53 PM
I'm all for starting a day early to get us off on a strong note. Would we start evening of the Saturday or midnight Saturday going into Sunday?

Chad
08-07-12, 09:48 PM
^ Midnight Saturday (technically Sunday).

Surfinhank
08-07-12, 10:04 PM
Weekends are when I have the most time to watch things so I'll say yes to the extra day. It could be considered an official "warm-up" day to the 2012 Horror Challenge (I'm in Olympic mode). :)

orlmac
08-07-12, 10:12 PM
I don't have a problem either way. I like the idea of an extra day on Sunday, I think it would give us a great boost of excitement, but if there are a lot of hard core objections it wouldn't bother me to wait until Monday. I do think everybody should throw in their two cents worth without doing a poll. Explaining our reasons for supporting or objecting will help Chad to sort this out.

tarfrimmer
08-07-12, 11:50 PM
I'm all in favor of starting a day early. Mondays are hard enough. Sitting through work all day, chomping at the bit to get the hell out of there to get started....I'm already breaking into a cold sweat just thinking about it. :eek:

terrycloth
08-07-12, 11:54 PM
im down for a bonus day....i wont be able to be able to watch anything sadly but I will be doing a Eastern State Pen tour and going to pennhurst Asylum's haunted house that day should count for something!

rbrown498
08-08-12, 12:53 AM

As is usually the case, I'm with Trevor on this one; however, as I'm a purist at heart, I'd rather keep it for October ONLY--start at midnight on October 1st and end at midnight on November 1st. But I fully understand the reasons that everyone has espoused for starting early so far. Either way, it doesn't matter to me, as I'll probably still keep my strict start and stop times.

This does bring up the question, however, as to whether there would be an extra day in the subset and theme night lists. My feelings are that if September 30th is added as a bonus day, it should be just that: a bonus day, without any kind of strings attached to any list (except for the checklist, of course). I would be more than happy with that scenario.

Since we're on the subject of the checklist, I would like to see the three optional decades from last year (1890s, 1900s, 1910s) rolled into the 1920s one and just have one item, perhaps called "Silent Horror: 1890-1929" or something along those lines. I'm also for taking out the "Silent Film" item, as it's redundant when there's a decade item from that era.

As far as the 3D checklist item goes, the more I think about it, the more I'm in favor of it. At first I wasn't fond of the idea, as there is a very limited selection of 3D movies from which to choose, but as I started ticking off a mental list, I thought of two or three that I wouldn't mind seeing again. I say go for it.

I loved the composer checklist item last year; maybe it could be repeated this year with Howard Shore, Pino Donaggio, Ennio Morricone, Bernard Herrmann, or even Goblin.

I'd also be totally down for adding a "K-Horror" item alongside the "J-Horror" item (any excuse for watching A Tale of Two Sisters again is worth it).

All in all, Chad, I think that you do a bang-up job every year...and if you decided to not change a thing, I'd still be geared to go this year. Thanks for all the time and hard work that you put in for this challenge. We may not tell you enough, but we DO appreciate it.

NoirFan
08-08-12, 08:56 AM
I'm fine with an extra day, as long as it's Criterion-only.

Darth Maher
08-08-12, 09:36 AM
I'm fine with an extra day... I start my Halloween season on Labor Day anyway.

Undeadcow
08-08-12, 10:38 AM
Starting a day early would feel off to me, part of the fun is to cram as many horror movies as I can into the month of October. "I watched 116 horror movies in the month of October, and a day in September" doesn't seem to have the same kind of bragging rights. Even if last day of September was allowed I do not think I would count that in my tally. I get that it's in the spirit of fun, but don't want to jump the gun.

Undeadcow
08-08-12, 10:47 AM
Random Theme Night / Checklist Suggestions

Here are some theme night ideas (if those are not yet finalized): horror movie remakes (i.e. Blob '88, Savini's NOTLD), H.P. Lovecrat based (i.e. From Beyond, Dagon, In the Mouth of Madness), buried undergroud (subterranean horror i.e. Descent, Boogens, My Bloody Valentine), medical horror (in honor of Chad's surgery i.e. Anatomy, Hands of Orloff, Dr Giggles, Re-Animator, The Dentist, even Frankenstein); campfire stories (based on a campground i.e. F13s, Cabin Fevers, Madmad, Camp Bloods).

October 7th is the anniversary of Edgar Allen Poe's death so if he is featured as a theme night or if "based on a book" is used then that might be a good occassion.

On checklist, I want to emphasize deleting all the checklist items based on the name alone (for example "revenge of...," "attack of..."); those are clever cliches to include but including them every year makes me revisie the same pool of films instead of encouraging diversity.

For fun, it might be interesting to include a "wild card" checklist item where users can specify whatever item they want to include. It might be interesting to see what people come up with and those ideas that stand out could be given consideration for formal checklist inclusion next year.
Since we're on the subject of the checklist, I would like to see the three optional decades from last year (1890s, 1900s, 1910s) rolled into the 1920s one and just have one item, perhaps called "Silent Horror: 1890-1929" or something along those lines. I'm also for taking out the "Silent Film" item, as it's redundant when there's a decade item from that era.pI support this, there isn't a lot of horror content in the 1890s, 1900s, and 1910s anyway; good suggestion! Historical value is important but I can only watch Einstein's Frankenstein on YouTube so often.

Cardsfan111
08-08-12, 10:53 AM
All this talk about starting early has me excited. I think I'll begin this weekend! :banana:

Seriously, I'm not a huge fan of the extra day but if that's what everyone wants, it doesn't bother me. Just so long as the thread title is appropriately labled "Annual October (and a day in September) Horror Movie (and TV if you want to) Challenge" ;)

cwileyy
08-08-12, 11:39 AM
This conversation has definitely gotten me excited!

I'm also not excited about starting a day early, as I just wouldn't feel right starting before October had officially began.

Also, am I the only one not in favor of the "10 different ways someone was killed" checklist item? Unless I'm missing something, it seems like it would just be filler, as some movies on their own would fill it out.

However, I'm definitely excited to see what'll be on the checklist this year!

gp1086
08-08-12, 12:13 PM
Not a huge deal to me either way, but if I had to choose, I'd say to start on 10/1/12.

I like your theme night suggestions, Chad. Going to be tough for me to fill out a full checklist or reach 100 (reaching 50 movies is going to be quite difficult), but definitely looking forward to checking out some new horror tiles (several classics I need to catch up on) and re-watching some favorites.

NoirFan
08-08-12, 12:34 PM
Since we're on the subject of the checklist, I would like to see the three optional decades from last year (1890s, 1900s, 1910s) rolled into the 1920s one and just have one item, perhaps called "Silent Horror: 1890-1929" or something along those lines. I'm also for taking out the "Silent Film" item, as it's redundant when there's a decade item from that era.

I don't have a problem with combining 1890-1919 into one checklist item, but I think the 1920's should be kept as their own decade.

campfire stories (based on a campground i.e. F13s, Cabin Fevers, Madmad, Camp Bloods).

This would be perfect then:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd114/besh1/1830701020A.jpg

There's also Campfire Tales, but it's not one I'm familiar with.

terrycloth
08-08-12, 01:11 PM
i actually set up my que in netflix for the challenge and went thru my collection and turned all the unwatched horror titles sideways so i spend less time searching thru my movies and more time watching them

Greg MacGuffin
08-08-12, 02:37 PM
Also, am I the only one not in favor of the "10 different ways someone was killed" checklist item? Unless I'm missing something, it seems like it would just be filler, as some movies on their own would fill it out.

I'm not that amped about the kill list either, but I've never even come close to finishing any of the checklists, so it's not a big deal for me either way.

08-08-12, 02:54 PM
I'm not that amped about the kill list either, but I've never even come close to finishing any of the checklists, so it's not a big deal for me either way.

I just liked doing a more open one rather than:

Find someone killed with a chainsaw
find someone killed with a fish
find someone killed with a computer

At least when it's open, there's an easier time in choosing movies. That's how I was looking at it.

NoirFan
08-08-12, 03:24 PM
find someone killed with a fish

Several films in which people are killed by fish come to mind, but has anyone ever been killed with a fish?

08-08-12, 06:29 PM
Several films in which people are killed by fish come to mind, but has anyone ever been killed with a fish?

Someone serves that poisoned puffer fish for a meal?

SterlingBen
08-08-12, 07:27 PM

Someone holding a fish taco while being murdered... nothing springs to mind.

08-08-12, 08:33 PM
I'm sure there's been someone stabbed by a killer with a swordfish

SterlingBen
08-09-12, 12:21 PM
That would still be by fish, like by chainsaw. It would need to be someone currently eating fish or with fish on their person.

08-09-12, 12:53 PM
As long as someone is doing the stabbing, I see it as being killed with a fish by a killer. If the swordfish were alive, jumped into a boat and impaled someone, that's what I'd call being killed by a fish.

Chad
08-09-12, 06:37 PM
Just to give an idea what it would look like on the checklist:

List 10 different kills:
--- 1. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 2. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 3. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 4. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 5. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 6. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 7. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 8. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 9. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 10. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).

And probably should change the wording a bit as drowning or being killed by a giant monkey doesn't exactly qualify as a weapon. Kill method, maybe?

This does bring up the question, however, as to whether there would be an extra day in the subset and theme night lists. My feelings are that if September 30th is added as a bonus day, it should be just that: a bonus day, without any kind of strings attached to any list (except for the checklist, of course). I would be more than happy with that scenario.

That didn't even occur to me until just recently! But yeah, it definitely would be a bonus day.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a "Criterion Crossover" for theme nights and, of course, that also entails picking a Criterion title for the subset list. And just to make it perfectly clear, it would be completely optional and not required to complete either list.

Noted.

I loved the composer checklist item last year; maybe it could be repeated this year with Howard Shore, Pino Donaggio, Ennio Morricone, Bernard Herrmann, or even Goblin.

Nice, you read my mind - already snuck Ennio Morricone on there.

And can't go without mentioning Goblin's Suspiria theme playing at the Olympics:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BUFJ2cGZtQk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BUFJ2cGZtQk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Random Theme Night / Checklist Suggestions

Here are some theme night ideas (if those are not yet finalized): horror movie remakes (i.e. Blob '88, Savini's NOTLD), H.P. Lovecrat based (i.e. From Beyond, Dagon, In the Mouth of Madness), buried undergroud (subterranean horror i.e. Descent, Boogens, My Bloody Valentine), medical horror (in honor of Chad's surgery i.e. Anatomy, Hands of Orloff, Dr Giggles, Re-Animator, The Dentist, even Frankenstein); campfire stories (based on a campground i.e. F13s, Cabin Fevers, Madmad, Camp Bloods).

And that was the next question. Been brainstorming in hopes of coming up with something fresh and fell a little short, so yeah, I can use some of those. :up:

On checklist, I want to emphasize deleting all the checklist items based on the name alone (for example "revenge of...," "attack of..."); those are clever cliches to include but including them every year makes me revisie the same pool of films instead of encouraging diversity.

I think recent feedback is pointing towards retirement.

For fun, it might be interesting to include a "wild card" checklist item where users can specify whatever item they want to include. It might be interesting to see what people come up with and those ideas that stand out could be given consideration for formal checklist inclusion next year.

Interesting. I could try to whip up something.

NoirFan
08-09-12, 07:31 PM
And can't go without mentioning Goblin's Suspiria theme playing at the Olympics

I prefer RJD2's interpretation:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-ZcydyS1qTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rbrown498
08-11-12, 10:04 PM
Since the thread's gone a little cold, I thought that I'd bump it with this question: If you could recommend only one film that you've seen since last year's challenge, which would it be? My recommendation would be for Ty West's The Innkeepers.

terrycloth
08-11-12, 11:05 PM
Since the thread's gone a little cold, I thought that I'd bump it with this question: If you could recommend only one film that you've seen since last year's challenge, which would it be? My recommendation would be for Ty West's The Innkeepers.

while reading your question the first movie that popped in my head was Innkeepers. good choice Im hoping ill be able to catch a showing of VHS.

theres been a few titles this year that I have really enjoyed.

Woman in Black, Theatre Bizarre, Cabin in the Woods, and Chillerama were some highlights

However my vote goes to Human Centipede 2. Imo this movie gave us what we were expecting in the first movie. I thought it was a clever sequel and delivered on the gore. Also Laurence Harvey*believe thats his name* gave an amazingly creepy performance.

i do have a few titles i been itching to watch but have been holding off until the challenge

Serbian Film
ATM
Mold
Marry Horror
The Dead
The Divide
Mother's Day *remake*

october can't come soon enough

Undeadcow
08-11-12, 11:33 PM
An additional theme night idea: scream queens/idols (films with Quigley, Barbeau, etc).

For checklist if artistry is being considered (i.e. Academy Award item) then adding a "watch 2+ films by the same director" might be worth considering. This shouldn't replace individual director names on the checklist. This might encourage discussion of style as well as content. Also maybe featuring a prolific director as a theme night. The same consideration could be made for actors. Maybe also adding "an old film released on dvd/blu this year" would encourage new material. ...If you could recommend only one film that you've seen since last year's challenge, which would it be?...Island of Lost Souls was enjoyable; haven't watched much horror this year. Innkeepers was great.

SterlingBen
08-12-12, 01:04 AM
Rangled one of these right before the B-Movie challenge and was hard pressed not to watch it:

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8974/51m9gctaazlsl500aa300.jpg

Still not sure if I want it as a swan song or a starting bell.

shadokitty
08-12-12, 07:48 AM
Won a copy of Frankenhooker in the sci fi challenge. Might save it for the horror challenge before I watch it.

SethDLH
08-12-12, 11:26 AM
I've been holding off on so many titles for October. It's almost becoming a problem... I buy a title in the early months of the year and think "should I hold on to this for October?"

orlmac
08-12-12, 01:12 PM
I think I will save my movie Aliens From the Deep for the horror challenge also. I still have three from the British Horror set that I won last year also. I will probably try to watch one of them for the challenge. I just can't wait! The Horror challenge should start more than one day early this year.

BobO'Link
08-12-12, 01:49 PM
I've been holding off on so many titles for October. It's almost becoming a problem... I buy a title in the early months of the year and think "should I hold on to this for October?"
Several titles from my "unopened" stack were lined up for the Sci-Fi Challenge but also qualify as Horror titles. Because of all the Sci-Fi I'd purchased I pulled them to hold for October. A few of those were purchased before last years' Horror Challenge but I didn't get to them so I held them for the Sci-Fi Challenge where they got held *again*. I'd told myself that *this year* I was going to watch all the Universal Horror titles in release order. If I do, many of those previously purchased titles may get put off *again*, along with those I've been picking up the past couple of months with October in mind. Right now I have at least 60 unopened horror titles awaiting October with more on the way. I'd say your problem is fairly common... :)

Chad
08-12-12, 05:07 PM

Yeah, I've been struggling to hold off for The Woman in Black, The Innkeepers, Cabin in the Woods and some others. Definitely will be catching those the first few days of the challenge.

An additional theme night idea: scream queens/idols (films with Quigley, Barbeau, etc).

Already included! I unfortunately lost a good link that had a 100 scream queens listed, many of which were pretty obscure names. But links are aplenty on the net.

Now how about some suggestions for "Watch a film starring" since I always forget to ask and end up doing it myself. To avoid repeats, here's the selections from the past few years:

Barbara Crampton
Barbara Shelley
Doug Bradley
Sid Haig
Hazel Court
Klaus Kinski
Lance Henriksen
Ken Foree
Lon Chaney Jr.
Lon Chaney Sr.
Michael Gough
Ron Perlman
Tom Atkins
Ted Raimi
Reggie Bannister
Vincent Price
Basil Rathbone
Glenn Strange
John Saxon
Danny Trejo
Paul Naschy
José "Coffin Joe" Marins
Donald Pleasence
John Carradine
Clint Howard
Michael Berryman
Bill Moseley
Keith David
Dick Miller
David Warner
Udo Kier
Barbara Steele
Tony Todd
Brad Dourif
Linnea Quigley
Debbie Rochon
Bela Lugosi
Lon Chaney Sr.
Boris Karloff
Lon Chaney Jr.
Peter Cushing
Christopher Lee
Robert Englund
Bruce Campbell
Jamie Lee Curtis

Also remember if an actor's filmography is limited, we can always add another 1 or 2 more actors for that item.

rbrown498
08-12-12, 06:38 PM
Now how about some suggestions for "Watch a film starring" since I always forget to ask and end up doing it myself. Also remember if an actor's filmography is limited, we can always add another 1 or 2 more actors for that item.

Chad, here are some that I came up with. I checked all of them out on the IMDB, and each has 7+ horror film credits:

Evelyn Ankers
Adrienne Barbeau
Peter Lorre
Robert Quarry
Ingrid Pitt
Brinke Stevens

A "face off" idea: Bette Davis OR Joan Crawford

rbrown498
08-12-12, 06:48 PM
Okay, two more:

Morris Ankrum
Elisha Cook (Jr.)

BobO'Link
08-12-12, 06:57 PM
...Now how about some suggestions for "Watch a film starring"...
Oliver Reed (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0001657&title_type=feature) - 15
Ralph Bates (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0061012&title_type=feature) - 6
Veronica Carlson (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0138040&title_type=feature) - 6
Claude Rains (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0001647&title_type=feature) - 4
Peter Lorre (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0000048&title_type=feature) - 7
Jeff Morrow (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0607504&title_type=feature) - 6
Faith Domergue (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0231409&title_type=feature) - 6
John Agar (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0000730&title_type=feature) - 15
Beverly Garland (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0307500&title_type=feature) - 7
Lionel Belmore (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0069373&title_type=feature) - 4
Max von Sydow (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0001884&title_type=feature) - 9
Jack Nicholson (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0000197&title_type=feature) - 7

Links to IMSB list of horror films for the actor.

NoirFan
08-12-12, 07:38 PM
Dee Wallace?

SterlingBen
08-12-12, 08:25 PM
Won a copy of Frankenhooker in the sci fi challenge. Might save it for the horror challenge before I watch it.

I second Frankenhooker as a subset title.

SterlingBen
08-12-12, 08:35 PM
Also how about Michelle Bauer?

08-12-12, 08:49 PM
Any idea if the checklist will be posted somewhat soon? I like spending way too much time going over it and cross referencing with my collection to find the perfect minimum number of movies to complete it.

terrycloth
08-12-12, 09:07 PM
Raine Brown
Danielle Harris
Ruby Larocca
Lloyd Kaufman

Chad
08-12-12, 10:41 PM
Oliver Reed (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0001657&title_type=feature) - 15
Ralph Bates (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0061012&title_type=feature) - 6
Veronica Carlson (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0138040&title_type=feature) - 6
Claude Rains (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0001647&title_type=feature) - 4
Peter Lorre (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0000048&title_type=feature) - 7
Jeff Morrow (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0607504&title_type=feature) - 6
Faith Domergue (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0231409&title_type=feature) - 6
John Agar (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0000730&title_type=feature) - 15
Beverly Garland (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0307500&title_type=feature) - 7
Lionel Belmore (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0069373&title_type=feature) - 4
Max von Sydow (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0001884&title_type=feature) - 9
Jack Nicholson (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&role=nm0000197&title_type=feature) - 7

Links to IMSB list of horror films for the actor.

Okay, I can't for the life of me figure out how to add actors to that moviemeter(?) list.

Any idea if the checklist will be posted somewhat soon? I like spending way too much time going over it and cross referencing with my collection to find the perfect minimum number of movies to complete it.

Yes, fairly soon. Around the time I post the discussion thread, which is just under two weeks away.

gp1086
08-12-12, 11:22 PM
Ditto. I don't buy as much but my Netflix queue is full of horror titles (classics I really need to see).

Undeadcow
08-13-12, 09:23 AM
Some more actor/actress suggestions:
Kane Hodder (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0387987/filmogenre#horror) - 66 horror films (F13s, Devil's Rejects, Hatchets, etc)
Angela Bettis (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0079374/filmogenre#horror) - 9 horror films (May, Carrie 2002, Toolbox Murders, MoH: Sick Girl, The Woods, Scar, Wicked Lake, The Woman, Bless the Child)
Asia Argento (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000782/filmogenre#horror) - 13 horror films (Demons 2, The Chruch, Trauma, Land of the Dead, Mother of Tears, etc)

BobO'Link
08-13-12, 01:22 PM
Okay, I can't for the life of me figure out how to add actors to that moviemeter(?) list.
They have a unique ID code associated with each "Cast/Crew" member which forces you to use the "Advanced Title Search" to get the correct number.

Here's the step by step:

Scroll down to the bottom of *any* page and select search (http://www.imdb.com/search). That takes you to the "Advanced Search" page.

On the "Advanced Search" page click the "Advanced Title Search (http://www.imdb.com/search/title)" link in the 2nd paragraph. (I keep that one bookmarked for easier access).

Fill out what you want/need. The "Actor" field is towards the bottom and is called "Cast/Crew". When you put a name or partial name in that field it will do a "spinner" and come up with matches. Select the one you want from the list.

Scroll to the bottom and click the yellow/gold "Search" button.

For those I posted I checked "Feature Film" as the "Title Type", "Horror" as the "Genre", and filled in the actor in the "Cast/Crew" field.

There's a *ton* of ways to narrow searches with that feature. I use it for challenges all the time to find those obscure titles. Beats the heck out of pulling up *every* film someone did looking for that "one" genre film you need. :)

Undeadcow
08-14-12, 10:00 PM
Picked up Synapse Films' Twins of Evil blu-ray along with The Boogens and Redemption/Kino's Requiem for a Vampire... Must resist until October.

Darkgod
08-15-12, 07:49 AM
Did the ruling come down for the day before start time... I know a few people where against it... but what ever majority picks, I would support. A poll perhaps?

Doc Moonlight
08-15-12, 10:08 AM
As much as I like checklists (I was the only one to complete the Checklist in this Year's History Challenge), I found myself abandoning it in last year's Horror Challenge because I felt like it was directing me to things I didn't feel like watching. When it comes to the Holiday and Horror Challenges, which I associate with seasonal holidays, there are just some things I like to either watch every year (or every 2 years), so it was either them or the checklist. I will always want to watch Price, Karloff, Cushing, Lee during October and replacing them with more obscure actors doesn't cut it for me. I felt like I was watching somebody else's choices and not my own.

rbrown498
08-15-12, 11:59 AM
As much as I like checklists (I was the only one to complete the Checklist in this Year's History Challenge), I found myself abandoning it in last year's Horror Challenge because I felt like it was directing me to things I didn't feel like watching. When it comes to the Holiday and Horror Challenges, which I associate with seasonal holidays, there are just some things I like to either watch every year (or every 2 years), so it was either them or the checklist. I will always want to watch Price, Karloff, Cushing, Lee during October and replacing them with more obscure actors doesn't cut it for me. I felt like I was watching somebody else's choices and not my own.

Funny, but I usually feel the exact opposite. I look forward to the Horror Challenge because I know that it will force me to watch some films that I ordinarily wouldn't watch. Because of that, I've found several films each year that have become favorites. For every film that I hated (that I wouldn't have chosen for myself) that I had to watch (Poultrygeist, Smash Cut), I've found two or three (again, that I wouldn't have chosen for myself) that I've loved (Splinter, Sheitan, Salvage, Dead Snow, Home Movie, Sauna). It's all about broadening horizons. And there's still PLENTY of room for watching old favorites.

Undeadcow
08-15-12, 01:38 PM
Regarding "optional" checklist items, I find it taunting that an "optional" checklist would contain "optional" items. The completist in me feels like I need to complete all those items. Last year the only "optional" item was to read a book and that seemed to detract from the movie emphasis of the challenge. Just say no to "optional" checklist items. ...[checklist] will force me to watch some films that I ordinarily wouldn't watch. Because of that, I've found several films each year that have become favorites... It's all about broadening horizons. And there's still PLENTY of room for watching old favorites.
+1 I like the checklist, subset, and theme nights too. These help facilitate cohesive discussion and prompt competition plus have become part of the feastivities.

Chad
08-15-12, 03:03 PM
Back again. Sorry for the constant 2 to 3 day hiatuses.

Currently I'm contacting potential sponsors so any ideas for new ones are welcome.

They have a unique ID code associated with each "Cast/Crew" member which forces you to use the "Advanced Title Search" to get the correct number.

Here's the step by step:

Scroll down to the bottom of *any* page and select search (http://www.imdb.com/search). That takes you to the "Advanced Search" page.

On the "Advanced Search" page click the "Advanced Title Search (http://www.imdb.com/search/title)" link in the 2nd paragraph. (I keep that one bookmarked for easier access).

Fill out what you want/need. The "Actor" field is towards the bottom and is called "Cast/Crew". When you put a name or partial name in that field it will do a "spinner" and come up with matches. Select the one you want from the list.

Scroll to the bottom and click the yellow/gold "Search" button.

For those I posted I checked "Feature Film" as the "Title Type", "Horror" as the "Genre", and filled in the actor in the "Cast/Crew" field.

There's a *ton* of ways to narrow searches with that feature. I use it for challenges all the time to find those obscure titles. Beats the heck out of pulling up *every* film someone did looking for that "one" genre film you need. :)

Thank you! Just had a brain fart, despite having done it in the past.

Did the ruling come down for the day before start time... I know a few people where against it... but what ever majority picks, I would support. A poll perhaps?

Well, I'm still taking feedback and so far it's in favor of the extra day. And I mentioned something earlier about starting a poll, but I'd prefer to keep everything feedback-related contained in here and not dedicate an entire separate thread over it unless absolutely necessary.

Regarding "optional" checklist items, I find it taunting that an "optional" checklist would contain "optional" items. The completist in me feels like I need to complete all those items. Last year the only "optional" item was to read a book and that seemed to detract from the movie emphasis of the challenge. Just say no to "optional" checklist items.

Wow, talk about extremely bad timing, I was literally just about to mention this checklist addition:

Attend a live event (convention, play, haunted house, ghost tour, etc.):
--- (insert event). OPTIONAL

But look at it this way, the 'optional' items are, well, optional. Simply don't include them on your personal checklist.

Of course that's probably a very stupid response considering a completest will obviously acknowledge their presence regardless and that desire for completion will constantly be gnawing at the back of your brain until they are checked off the list. And I'm one to talk being my OCD ways are very likely the reason I go completely overboard with the formatting of this challenge. But hey, duly noted. :D

Darkgod
08-15-12, 03:32 PM
I just feel like October is the Halloween challenge... i mean I give my wife a countdown to Oct. 1st... " You know whats in 46 days?" And she'll say.. " The Horror Challenge". I just feel like October is the start of the Halloween Season. Just starting it a day earlier to get the extra weekend day shouldn't matter... whats gonna happen in 5years when another weekend day is the day before we start? Move it ahead another day? I don't like the additional day in the other ones either, but the horror challenge to me is October.

Darkgod
08-15-12, 04:01 PM
Raine Brown

second that

gp1086
08-15-12, 06:13 PM
Maybe as a compromise for the Sept 30 vs. Oct 1 start date, you could allow only Criterion horror titles as a wildcard and carryover from the previous challenge?

Darkgod
08-15-12, 06:45 PM
Thats actually not a terrible compromise

Gobear
08-15-12, 06:45 PM

I couldn't think of any instances off hand, so I checked Google and came up with bupkes. If there are any horror films in which a person is killed with a fish, they must be exceedingly rare.

cwileyy
08-15-12, 07:07 PM
I have also searched Google on this, and also having no luck, I want to find one even more.

08-15-12, 07:10 PM
I couldn't think of any instances off hand, so I checked Google and came up with bupkes. If there are any horror films in which a person is killed with a fish, they must be exceedingly rare.

The Serpent and the Rainbow. Man poisons someone with the poison of a puffer fish.

SterlingBen
08-15-12, 07:50 PM
The Serpent and the Rainbow. Man poisons someone with the poison of a puffer fish.

Ah, but they don't actually die.

Also is Blow Out a horror movie (never seen)? Seems like most of my Criterions are drama/foreign movies, not much in the way of horror.

SethDLH
08-15-12, 08:20 PM
The more I think about it the more I think it should start on October 1st. Or at the very earliest 9 or 10 pm the night before so that its basically October. The full day before, while I love more time for the challenge kind of does take away from the purity of the challenge. As someone said it would be weird to say the October and day before that Horror Challenge.

Anyways, I just want to get down to some movie watching!

NoirFan
08-15-12, 08:25 PM

I haven't seen the film in forever so I don't remember, but even if he did die, it still wouldn't count unless the puffer fish itself was used to physically dispatch of him, by pressing the poisoned puffers (?) directly into his skin. That sounds like something out of a James Bond film though. Just serving him the poisoned fish as a meal isn't using the actual fish as the instrument of death.

shadokitty
08-16-12, 08:30 AM
If the ruling does come down that only Criterions are eligible on the extra day, I have a few movies that would qualify. While they are not the official criterion releases, I own Halloween, the original Cat People, and the Classic Media release of Gojira/Godzilla King of the Monsters.

Darkgod
08-16-12, 08:57 AM
going through the thread its 10-7 in favor of starting early

08-16-12, 09:52 AM
I'm fine with doing the extra day but keeping it strictly Criterions.

Ash Ketchum
08-16-12, 10:00 AM

A great new set for the Criterion/Horror overlap:

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/928-eclipse-series-37-when-horror-came-to-shochiku

clckworang
08-16-12, 10:46 AM
Wow. I didn't realize there was all this discussion going on here about the horror challenge!

I don't like the "killed by ..." checklist item that's being suggested. First off, it would contain some potentially major spoilers. Also, while I don't mind pursuing things from various genres, I don't want to get to a point where someone trying to complete the checklist, especially if there is a focus on unwatched films, will have to do Google searches to find a film where someone is killed by a chainsaw or various other methods. Plus, again, that gets into spoiler territory. Also, while I think it's cute how some people keep stats on number of people killed, boobies and things like that, I don't think those should be included on any checklist. SterlingBen mentioned how cheap a tally clicker is, but I personally think sitting there watching a movie with a clicker and trying to count certain things would take some of the fun out of actually watching the movie and would just be adding more work.

As for the extra day, I'm mixed about it. The traditionalist in me wants to say too bad and that we should just start Oct. 1. The horror hound in me would gladly start an extra day; however, I don't think it should be limited to Criterion titles. Many of us don't participate in any other challenges - or maybe just not the Criterion one. Why should everyone be restricted to certain titles for a whole day just because some people do the Criterion challenge as well? If it's an optional bonus day, then that's what it should be, not an optional bonus day but only if you watch movies that appear on a certain list.

A great new set for the Criterion/Horror overlap:

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/928-eclipse-series-37-when-horror-came-to-shochiku

Too bad it doesn't come out until November.

clckworang
08-16-12, 10:47 AM

Also is Blow Out a horror movie (never seen)? Seems like most of my Criterions are drama/foreign movies, not much in the way of horror.

I wouldn't consider Blow Out a horror movie. I would put it more in the thriller category.

Ash Ketchum
08-16-12, 12:12 PM
Too bad it doesn't come out until November.

Oops, I missed the small print. Sorry, save it for next year.

NoirFan
08-16-12, 01:13 PM

Here are a few ideas (http://www.criterion.com/explore/119-scary-movies), but I'd say The Vanishing is borderline (but worth seeing - wild card perhaps?) and obviously White Dog isn't horror.

Chad
08-16-12, 02:00 PM
As far as the extra day goes I'd be for making it Criterion-centric, but not Criterion only. If you make it a Criterion only day, that's the equivalent of taking a theme nights entry and forcing people to view only those select films. That's ridiculous because not only does it defy the point of a "theme" being optional, it severely limits what you can watch and not everyone has access to Criterion titles. And there's always those who may not want to.

Again, I was planning on making the theme nights entry a "Criterion Crossover" followed by picking a Criterion film for the subset list, both being bonus entries. I personally think that would suffice.

Just my two cents.

But we need to decide fairly soon, so I'm enacting a deadline:

http://www.timeanddate.com/gfx/n/apps/timer-app_icon-114.png (http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20120819T07&p0=%3A&msg=Extra+Day+for+the+Horror+Challenge%3F)

When the countdown ends on Sunday (roughly 2˝ days), whatever the majority vote decides goes.

Darth Maher
08-16-12, 02:05 PM
I vote Extra Day

riotinmyskull
08-16-12, 02:10 PM
EDIT: i've changed my mind...i vote no. 100 movies, 31 days or 31 days of horror.

Cardsfan111
08-16-12, 03:52 PM
Seriously, I'm not a huge fan of the extra day but if that's what everyone wants, it doesn't bother me. Just so long as the thread title is appropriately labled "Annual October (and a day in September) Horror Movie (and TV if you want to) Challenge" ;)

I wasn't sure if we needed to re-post our thoughts on the extra day. I had posted my opinion above earlier in the thread.

If the majority goes with the extra day, I wouldn't put any conditions on it. I'd prefer to be free to watch whatever I want.

clckworang
08-16-12, 06:04 PM
I've given it some thought, and I vote no to the extra day. It has always been 100 movies, 31 days or 31 days of horror. It just seems wrong to make it 32. The challenge has started on crappy days before. That's just part of the challenge. It's not supposed to be easy.

If it's decided that we will begin our October challenge in September (it even sounds wrong!), I would vote for a completely free day - no theme and no daily subset.

And haven't we had this discussion before when people wanted to extend the challenge one day for Day of the Dead? It was ultimately decided that the challenge should stay in October. I don't see why that should change now, just because we're anxious to start early.

To be honest, the more I think about it, the more shocked I am that Chad is even taking a vote on this idea.

spartickes
08-16-12, 06:47 PM
I have to say, I vote "yes" on amendment extra day. Although it's for entirely personal reasons, my job requires me to work overnight 12 hour shifts on the weekends and I normally get a lot of movie watching done then. By starting a day early I'd personally have an extra 15 hours where I'd be getting paid to watch movies for the challenge, and it's almost always easier to watch movies at work than it is with my house full of children! If it weren't for this I'd probably vote "eh, whatever you guys think"

NoirFan
08-16-12, 07:13 PM
Now that the first day isn't Criterion-only, I'd say skip it.

Gobear
08-16-12, 07:18 PM

^ This.

It's supposed to be 31 days of horror; besides 9/30 is a Sunday, so it's scarcely better than starting on Monday.

shadokitty
08-16-12, 07:19 PM
I once again put in my vote for the extra day, with no strings attached.

SethDLH
08-16-12, 07:38 PM
I've given it some thought, and I vote no to the extra day. It has always been 100 movies, 31 days or 31 days of horror. It just seems wrong to make it 32. The challenge has started on crappy days before. That's just part of the challenge. It's not supposed to be easy.

If it's decided that we will begin our October challenge in September (it even sounds wrong!), I would vote for a completely free day - no theme and no daily subset.

And haven't we had this discussion before when people wanted to extend the challenge one day for Day of the Dead? It was ultimately decided that the challenge should stay in October. I don't see why that should change now, just because we're anxious to start early.

To be honest, the more I think about it, the more shocked I am that Chad is even taking a vote on this idea.

The bolded part is how I feel after thinking about it. It's October, 31 days, 100 horror movies. That's the basis of the challenge. Starting early just because we'd be starting on a weekday is just a slap in the face of the challenge. If there is an extra day I'll still be starting on the first.

rbrown498
08-16-12, 08:22 PM
http://gripewhine.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/can-of-worms.jpg

Chad
08-16-12, 09:02 PM

Whoa, I never said that. Just gave my personal opinion, which might have been a little on the harsh side. Whatever is decided - no extra day, extra day with Criterion-only, extra day with anything goes ...I'm down for it.

And probably should extend it to a 2-part question:

1. Do you want an extra day on September 30?

2. If yes, do you want it to be Criterion-only or just a normal day?

You and me both.

Undeadcow
08-16-12, 09:23 PM
Restating my opinion of no extra day.

SterlingBen
08-16-12, 09:26 PM
Whoa, I never said that. Just gave my personal opinion, which might have been a little on the harsh side. Whatever is decided - no extra day, extra day with Criterion-only, extra day with anything goes ...I'm down for it.

And probably should extend it to a 2-part question:

1. Do you want an extra day on September 30?

2. If yes, do you want it to be Criterion-only or just a normal day?

You and me both.
1.Yes (I love horror movies)
2. No (But I can buy 4 of them for that price)

NoirFan
08-16-12, 09:34 PM
Whoa, I never said that. Just gave my personal opinion, which might have been a little on the harsh side.

It's all good, I was never a huge fan of the extra day, but I'd be slightly more accepting if it were Criterion only. For the record though, my vote would be a no.

orlmac
08-16-12, 10:07 PM
After a lot of thinking and reading of others opinions, I believe that I will change my original vote to a solid no. I feel like too many people disagree with adding the day and counting the watches.

Greg MacGuffin
08-16-12, 11:00 PM
I vote NO on the extra day.
http://www.ericsundwall.com/resources/vote_no.jpg

jmsmath
08-16-12, 11:08 PM
I'll also vote no for the extra day. I don't really have a good reason other than tradition and it just doesn't feel right to start in September.

terrycloth
08-16-12, 11:50 PM
Im going on a trip on the 30th so I wont be able to watch anything anyway, but after reading clckworang's point it has been 31 days of horror and vote No on the extra day.

cwileyy
08-17-12, 01:07 AM
Adding another "no" to the extra day.

Personally, it doesn't feel right to start in September, and I'd like to keep my tradition of 31 days of Halloween.

EdTheRipper
08-17-12, 05:15 AM
No extra day.

Shack
08-17-12, 06:22 AM
Call me a traditionalist. No extra day.

Pizza
08-17-12, 06:53 AM
I agree, no extra day.

I'll throw out one last minor thought, I feel the marathon should start at midnight in whatever time zone you live in. Not a biggie mind you but, if you're waiting to get started (and I currently don't recall what time zone we do go by in this) and you have to wait to 1 a.m. or 2 a.m. to get going it sort of sucks a bit. I remember being messed up by this one year. (And I apologize if this is already how it is or it's been changed and it is my misunderstanding. Wouldn't be the first or last time. ;))

Doc Moonlight
08-17-12, 08:36 AM
I'll vote yes on the extra day, just to set a precedent that can possibly be used for expanding the Holiday challenge so we have more time to watch Thanksgiving movies.

rbrown498
08-17-12, 09:38 AM
Just to reiterate, in case:

I vote no to the extra day.

08-17-12, 11:21 AM
1. Yes.
2. Criterion because it would get more participants in that challenge.

Trevor
08-17-12, 11:44 AM
Compromise.

Do the "Hebrew" day definition at the start of the Challenge and start at dusk. This gives everyone a few extra hours, but nowhere close to a full day.

And as Pizza just said, and I thought all Challenges had already done; do away with any reference to time zones. It starts at midnight (or dusk) at wherever you happen to be; and ends at dawn at wherever you happen to be.

Edit to add: And make it Criterion suggested, but not enforced as another compromise.

orlmac
08-17-12, 12:50 PM
Compromise.

Do the "Hebrew" day definition at the start of the Challenge and start at dusk. This gives everyone a few extra hours, but nowhere close to a full day.

And as Pizza just said, and I thought all Challenges had already done; do away with any reference to time zones. It starts at midnight (or dusk) at wherever you happen to be; and ends at dawn at wherever you happen to be.

Edit to add: And make it Criterion suggested, but not enforced as another compromise.

I don't want to start us down another road here but if we end up basically tied I could gladly endorse this compromise. It only adds a few hours (at least on the east coast) so it definitely is something to consider if we are basically split on this idea.

omike
08-17-12, 01:16 PM
After putting way too much thought into the matter I vote no on the extra day. Its the purist in me.

If there is an extra day I think that a Criterion Theme Night (that would not be necessary to complete the theme nights) would be a good idea but that any horror movie should count. Personally, if the extra day wins I'll spend as much time as I can watching horror movies that day and put mini reviews in my list but I won't count them toward my total.

As a matter of fact I may just try to watch a bunch of horror that day even if the extra day doesn't win. Its not like I don't have enough material to get me through several horror challenges! And I'll still get up an hour and a half early the next morning to get my first official viewing in before work.-screwy-

shellebelle
08-17-12, 03:19 PM
I have also searched Google on this, and also having no luck, I want to find one even more.

Would Piranha work? Saw it last year and it was body parts all over.

tarfrimmer
08-17-12, 03:43 PM
Again, I was planning on making the theme nights entry a "Criterion Crossover" followed by picking a Criterion film for the subset list, both being bonus entries.

I vote for the early start, with ^^^ happening.

shellebelle
08-17-12, 03:44 PM
I vote for the extra day with no restrictions

clckworang
08-17-12, 04:28 PM
I still vote no to the extra day. If we do start early, I say this year's numbers should have an asterisk beside them, much like they've talked about doing because of juicing in baseball. ;)

SethDLH
08-17-12, 04:46 PM
I just noticed people talking about being killed with a fish and not being able to find a movie where it happens. Off topic but it reminded me of my high school senior prank with a few friends. For a couple years any object used in a fight was immediately added to the school handbook the next year as a weapon and was subsequently banned from school (unless it was a normal school supply) so we decided it would be funny to have "large mouth bass" in there as our lasting memory. So we got a large mouth bass, snuck up behind another friend and hit him in the face with it. For the next school year at least banned weapons included "large mouth bass".

Darkgod
08-17-12, 04:49 PM
woops spoke toop soon

BobO'Link
08-17-12, 04:59 PM
After giving it much thought about the extra day:

Start *no earlier* than local sundown: "Yes"
Considering it runs until Dawn on November 1st this makes it feel more consistent.

Anything else, I vote "No".

I'm also with Trevor on "...make it Criterion suggested, but not enforced..."

Darkgod
08-17-12, 05:02 PM
Looks like it is

For:Sterling Ben, Misterpeepers, Chad, Shadow Kitty, Bob o' Link, Surfin Hank, tarfrimmer, shellbelle, Darth Maher, Spartickes, Doc Moonlight Total:11

Against: Trevor, Darkgod, Rbrown498, Cadsfan111,Gp1086, sethdlh, riotinmyskull,edtheripper, shack, pizza, dmike, clkwrkorange, noirfan, gobear, undeadcow, jeffypop, terrycloth, cwiley, jmsmath, orlmac, BladzTotal:20

UPDATED: Oct. 18th, 11:27a EST
I am human so I know I spelled all your names wrong, I can't read my own handwriting sometimes. If I put you on the wrong list, let me know...

Trevor
08-17-12, 08:37 PM
One thing to keep in mind, all of you that want to start early, is that you've always been welcome to do so, in a round about way. You can start today, just make it animated horror and don't put it on your October list. And in September watch Criterion horror. The Criterion Challenge is more inclusive than you think. It's not just the 700 or so films released on DVD/BD, but several hundred more that were on laser or now exclusive to Hulu.

Small consolation to starting the official OHMC early perhaps, but it's something.

One of the many areas that shows just how lucky we are to have a Chad.
I just noticed people talking about being killed with a fish and not being able to find a movie where it happens. Off topic but it reminded me of my high school senior prank with a few friends. For a couple years any object used in a fight was immediately added to the school handbook the next year as a weapon and was subsequently banned from school (unless it was a normal school supply) so we decided it would be funny to have "large mouth bass" in there as our lasting memory. So we got a large mouth bass, snuck up behind another friend and hit him in the face with it. For the next school year at least banned weapons included "large mouth bass".
That's awesome.

Bladz
08-17-12, 09:29 PM
I vote no for the extra day. Even before I started participating in this challenge last year, horror month for me was always October and I think that's the way it should be. I feel if we do it this year, it'll have to be done every year until October 1 falls on a Saturday again, and then do we go back to starting on September 30 when it falls on a Monday again?

Undeadcow
08-18-12, 06:54 AM
All this debate over starting one extra day early makes me wonder if that energy went towards other comments and feedback to improve checklist or theme nights, etc what sort of stuff would come up. Coming here today gives me an inexplicable urge to hit someone with a large mouth bass.

I think Chad asked about potential sponsor suggestions. Drafthouse Films (http://drafthousefilms.com/) is a newer project by Alamo Drafthouse that releases some cult-like oddities so they might be down with donating. Kino Lorber (http://www.kinolorber.com/) has been pushing out more horror stuff lately and speaking of Criterions approaching them might now be a bad idea. Also Severin Films (http://www.severin-films.com/) and Scorpion Releasing (http://scorpionreleasing.com/) would be ideal candidates, if not already approached. I'd be willing to help.

Edit: \/ Yeah, Bladz... I understand, just being rheotorical and no disrespect intended. Discussion is good.

Bladz
08-18-12, 10:06 AM
All this debate over starting one extra day early makes me wonder if that energy went towards other comments and feedback to improve checklist or theme nights, etc what sort of stuff would come up. Coming here today gives me an inexplicable urge to hit someone with a large mouth bass.

Chad asked for everyone to vote yes or no so I gave my opinion just like everyone else has.

SterlingBen
08-18-12, 12:17 PM

I think Chad asked about potential sponsor suggestions. Drafthouse Films (http://drafthousefilms.com/) is a newer project by Alamo Drafthouse that releases some cult-like oddities so they might be down with donating. Kino Lorber (http://www.kinolorber.com/) has been pushing out more horror stuff lately and speaking of Criterions approaching them might now be a bad idea. Also Severin Films (http://www.severin-films.com/) and Scorpion Releasing (http://scorpionreleasing.com/) would be ideal candidates, if not already approached. I'd be willing to help.

Edit: \/ Yeah, Bladz... I understand, just being rheotorical and no disrespect intended. Discussion is good.
Code Red could use the publicity.

Undeadcow
08-18-12, 01:07 PM
Code Red could use the publicity....If only the Code Red honcho wasn't so notoriously paranoid and eccentric.

08-18-12, 01:12 PM
Considering he's already posted that he doesn't like the site, there's no way he'd do it and nothing would change his mind...except for his mailman.

SterlingBen
08-18-12, 01:42 PM
Considering he's already posted that he doesn't like the site, there's no way he'd do it and nothing would change his mind...except for his mailman.

Thats just when he is talking to you. Chad might have better people skills or a mailman costume.

Trevor
08-18-12, 02:15 PM
Chad, do you still have that Facebook group for this? I imagine Facebook groups still suck, but maybe they've added features that might be useful.....

Chad
08-18-12, 05:08 PM
I'm still here; just got new floors put down and getting all the furniture heavy lifting out of the way before my back is completely useless for a few months. That, and 1,001 other last-minute things.

But yes, last year(?) I changed the challenge start dates from a specific EST time zone to midnight of whatever your time zone is.

And I very much like Trevor's compromise of starting at dusk, but, like orlmac said, if it requires extra days for voting we should probably just stick to the above if the extra day idea doesn't pass.

As far as sponsors go, we have 3 confirmed so far, 2 of which are first-timers. I'll give all the details in the discussion thread. I've actually already contacted Code Red a few days ago and haven't heard anything since. But to be fair, it's taken 3 or more weeks in the past for a return response from a few. With my luck I'll probably be getting sliced up when and if they do get back to me, so that'll likely add another week to the wait. Still a few more to contact and will add all suggestions to that list.

So far, the track record is pretty good regarding sponsorship with the exception of one (starts with and "S" and ends with an "N") that never responded back. And then there's the Troma situation from last year, although they did actually agree to donate something, that ended up being the last communication with them.

If you recall on the Facebook group, it was actually changed to a page last year because of some nonsense I can't recall that wouldn't allow for new members being added. But thanks for the link, I couldn't find it and just assumed they had deleted it; I'll post it in the current page.

And while we're on the subject of social media...

Because I apparently have a sickness and can't help going overboard, I've literally just created a Twitter account. And that's odd considering I rarely use Twitter. We'll what happens.

Here's the social media breakdown:

The Facebook page. (http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-October-Horror-Movie-Challenge/111773778924802) It's the "official" social media outlet. This one is non-intrusive and basically will give info on new threads being posted, upcoming trivia questions, etc.

Google Plus. (https://plus.google.com/105915401875939563408/posts) I've honestly visited the site maybe twice in a year, so don't expect much here. It always takes me a few years to adjust to the new places.

Twitter. (https://twitter.com/octhorrorchall) (@OctHorrorChall) Anything goes.

And finally, I *might* be posting the discussion thread as early as tomorrow after the voting timer runs out. Not trying to step on the toes of other challenges, but it's ready to go and the sooner, the easier for me. Again, this is a one time thing and hopefully things will be back to normal next year.

I'm sort of skimming over questions at the moment, but I'll go back and read over everything thoroughly when I get the chance and answer anything I might have missed.

clckworang
08-18-12, 05:39 PM
Does that mean the list thread could be getting posted tomorrow as well?

08-18-12, 06:18 PM
Thats just when he is talking to you. Chad might have better people skills or a mailman costume.

No, there was an interview linked in the Code Red thread where he specifically says he doesn't like dvdtalk. It was because of some review. It wasn't a bad review but it wasn't a great one, so he had some problem with it.

shadokitty
08-18-12, 07:10 PM
I could deal with the compromise of starting at dusk on the day before. Most of my watching is normally in evenings anyways.

Screwadu
08-18-12, 07:21 PM
I vote against an extra day. Just saying.

SterlingBen
08-18-12, 11:38 PM
No, there was an interview linked in the Code Red thread where he specifically says he doesn't like dvdtalk. It was because of some review. It wasn't a bad review but it wasn't a great one, so he had some problem with it.

Dang, now that I could see. Still maybe he has softened in his financial hurt?

SterlingBen
08-18-12, 11:40 PM
And I very much like Trevor's compromise of starting at dusk, but, like orlmac said, if it requires extra days for voting we should probably just stick to the above if the extra day idea doesn't pass.

And it makes sense as the challenge goes until dawn of the 1st of Nov that it should start at Dusk the night before.

Gobear
08-19-12, 06:24 AM
And it makes sense as the challenge goes until dawn of the 1st of Nov that it should start at Dusk the night before.

I support this compromise. Starting at dusk launches the challenge with a the right atmosphere (horror films are most effective when viewed in the dark) and is faithful to the spirit of the dusk til dawn horror marathon, in this case a 31-day marathon. I plan on watching only Criterion titles, though, to stay true to both challenges.

Darkgod
08-19-12, 07:24 AM
It's 21-11 against so far

Undeadcow
08-19-12, 07:47 AM
Shouldn't killer robots / technological haywire be a checklist item (if not a theme night)? Imdb lists 15 horror movies (http://www.imdb.com/keyword/killer-robot/?genre=horror) with killer robots but omits some like Deadly Friend and Demon Seed; expanding to general technologically based evil would allow stuff like Maximum Overdrive, Video Dead, Ringu, Pulse, Poltergeist (tv messages), etc. I know we've had "sci-fi" horror but maybe specifying evil technology. Separating extraterrestrials into a separate category might be another consideration (The Thing, Alien, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, etc), provided that doesn't make things too sci-fi heavy (in which case ditch the aliens).

Trevor
08-19-12, 12:15 PM
Chad, I think we have two different Facebook 'pages'. I'm not positive, since I can't use Facebook at work and the iOS interface is different; but we appear to have a group and a page.

Travis McClain
08-19-12, 12:41 PM
Not sure if it was mentioned, but Fathom Events is doing a one-night double feature of Frankenstein & Bride of Frankenstein on 24 October. I'm sure many of us participants will be excited about that, and it might be worth incorporating somehow into the checklist. Also, I'm now following the Twitter feed and joined up with the Facebook group. I've taken to organizing my challenge lists on Letterboxd, and I'm looking forward to this year's challenge - even if my participation is sketchy, which I fully expect.

NoirFan
08-19-12, 12:50 PM
For those looking for new viewing material, the Creepshow Blu-ray is $7.37 from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0021L9MJG/ref=nosim/dvdtalk).

Trevor
08-19-12, 01:07 PM
^ Frailty is cheap too.

SterlingBen
08-19-12, 02:18 PM
For those looking for new viewing material, the Creepshow Blu-ray is $7.37 from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0021L9MJG/ref=nosim/dvdtalk).

Similarly, walmart has this little bit of awesome for $5
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7770/71qpz0esylsl500aa300.jpg

I was actually contemplating a horror themed bargains thread but there is already so much arguing over there over which store(s) are better.

It's 21-11 against so far

To be fair that is the stat against counting the entire day, not necessarily starting at dusk that day.

Chad
08-19-12, 02:56 PM
The extra day (starting midnight Saturday night, technically Sunday) has been...

http://it-lex.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/denied-300x300.png

Yeah, I know the countdown timer is still going; I overshot the time and intended to have it end this morning. It's pretty apparent it's overwhelmingly in favor of it not happening. People wanna keep the "purity" of the challenge and I get that.

As a compromise I'm gonna whip out my free pass as host (you only get one) and enact Trevor's idea of starting at dusk, which would make it from dusk till dawn. That's too cool to pass up.

Does that mean the list thread could be getting posted tomorrow as well?

Not today but only because I'm still working on it. I could post it soon though ...if it's not considered overkill.

Shouldn't killer robots / technological haywire be a checklist item (if not a theme night)? Imdb lists 15 horror movies (http://www.imdb.com/keyword/killer-robot/?genre=horror) with killer robots but omits some like Deadly Friend and Demon Seed; expanding to general technologically based evil would allow stuff like Maximum Overdrive, Video Dead, Ringu, Pulse, Poltergeist (tv messages), etc. I know we've had "sci-fi" horror but maybe specifying evil technology. Separating extraterrestrials into a separate category might be another consideration (The Thing, Alien, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, etc), provided that doesn't make things too sci-fi heavy (in which case ditch the aliens).

Noted. And perfect for downsizing Sci-Fi Horror since it's probably a little played out (along with mutants; at least on theme nights) and just too broad a category.

Chad, do you still have that Facebook group for this? I imagine Facebook groups still suck, but maybe they've added features that might be useful.....

-&-

Chad, I think we have two different Facebook 'pages'. I'm not positive, since I can't use Facebook at work and the iOS interface is different; but we appear to have a group and a page.

Here's why it was switched over to a page last year - Facebook in their infinite wisdom decided that this group would be 'archived' since they deemed it as not having enough activity to warrant the migration to the new group format. After that took place only existing members would be allowed in the group with no new members being added. Well, apparently they changed their mind because a) it's been upgraded to the new format and b) the 'join group' button is still there, which means the whole transition to the new page was probably unnecessary.

To be honest, I do prefer the group's format over the page and its stupid ass timeline. Although the page does offer one advantage in that it goes directly to your news feed on your wall while the groups only have the sidebar on the left that can often be overlooked. I really wish there was a way to merge the two and get the best of both worlds.

Surfinhank
08-19-12, 03:31 PM
Similarly, walmart has this little bit of awesome for $5
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7770/71qpz0esylsl500aa300.jpg

I was actually contemplating a horror themed bargains thread but there is already so much arguing over there over which store(s) are better.

To be fair that is the stat against counting the entire day, not necessarily starting at dusk that day.

Hey, is the copy of Waxwork in that set fullscreen or widescreen?

riotinmyskull
08-19-12, 03:45 PM
i like the idea of starting at dusk. that'll be a great way to end the weekend and to start the challenge. i'm starting with CABIN IN THE WOODS just so everything else i watch the rest of the challenge will be completely different in my mind.

NoirFan
08-19-12, 05:21 PM

I figured if major horror Blu-ray bargains appear before the beginning of the challenge, I'd post them in the thread.

08-19-12, 07:26 PM
Not today but only because I'm still working on it. I could post it soon though ...if it's not considered overkill.

I'd vote to get the checklist out before a thread list. We're still about a month and a half away and the Criterion list thread isn't up yet and that starts in a couple weeks.

Surfinhank
08-19-12, 10:21 PM
I just saw the official thread and the start time is listed as "dusk on Monday October 1st". Just to clarify, technically that means dusk on September 30th, right?... to add a few additional hours before the normal start time of Midnight?

orlmac
08-19-12, 11:10 PM
I'd vote to get the checklist out before a thread list. We're still about a month and a half away and the Criterion list thread isn't up yet and that starts in a couple weeks.

I know that concerning the checklist I wouldn't consider it overkill. For my part I would love to have the extra time to get everything planned out, it would just mean more time to watch movies during the month! Minor revisions later wouldn't freak me out either.

Trevor
08-20-12, 09:45 AM
As a compromise I'm gonna whip out my free pass as host (you only get one) and enact Trevor's idea of starting at dusk, which would make it from dusk till dawn. That's too cool to pass up.
When confronted with a two choice poll question, I create a third option.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/542542_10151108915124228_1675378230_n.jpg

Undeadcow
08-20-12, 09:51 AM
I know that concerning the checklist I wouldn't consider it overkill. For my part I would love to have the extra time to get everything planned out, it would just mean more time to watch movies during the month! Minor revisions later wouldn't freak me out either.

+1, the earlier the better. I also like having more time to organize and plan for theme nights and checklist.

With the death of movie rental shops (there are only a few Blockbusters left in Houston) any headstart I can get on subset films would be nice too.