DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

UncleGramps
11-21-11, 12:14 AM
Seriously? The game's out today and there's not even a dedicated thread for it yet? :eek: (Or maybe it's just that the search function on these forums is still busted...)

I'm only a few hours into the game, but I'm loving it. The motion controls seem a wee bit finicky (pun intended), at least in certain situations, but they're generally pretty good. The character models are a lot more expressive than in past Zelda games, so I'm finding myself more invested in the story. I'm only at the first dungeon, so I know I'm just scratching the surface, but it's definitely promising thus far.

I know that many will complain about the slow start to the game, but I really liked how it set up the characters and the world of Skyloft. I didn't feel myself dragging like I did in the beginning of Twilight Princess.

Anyone else playing it? What do you think of it?

story
11-21-11, 12:22 AM
I didn't even know it was coming out until I saw it on the Amazon bestselling video game list tonight. Been out of the loop, I guess. What past Zelda games would you compare it to in terms of play control, storyline, etc.?

mhg83
11-21-11, 12:23 AM
I would love to play it but Skyrim has taken over my life :)

boogieman03
11-21-11, 12:28 AM
Played until I got my sword. Then had to go.

Damn, I hate the beginning of Zelda games. Just let me get on with it. (Bought but never played Twilight Princess)

eatntae
11-21-11, 12:31 AM
I was really hesitant about getting this game because I just haven't been in a Nintendo mood lately. Plus, my Wii has been disconnected for probably more than a year. But I got it anyway, and man am I loving it. This game actually got me to put Skyrim on hold. For the most part, this game is incredible. The beginning of the game was pretty slow, but once I started exploring the land, I couldn't put it down. I don't mind the motion controls too much, but the traveling and swimming are pretty annoying.

Setzer
11-21-11, 01:06 AM
I definitely plan on playing this.....its just gonna have to wait until I'm done with Skyrim! :lol:

Michael Corvin
11-21-11, 06:50 AM

Damn, I hate the beginning of Zelda games. Just let me get on with it. (Bought but never played Twilight Princess)

Seriously. How is it that Nintendo hasn't evolved this basic concept in 25 years? Oddly enough, it reminds me of Wheel of Fortune. After 20 years of people asking for the same damn 5 letters, they decided to make them standard to force you to ask for different ones. At this point you should just start with a sword, shield, bombs and boomerangs, or get them fairly quickly. This would force them to come up with other, new items to find on the quest.

If you hate that aspect of Zelda, then you will fucking loathe Twilight Princess. Take that slow 1 hour or so intro of doing nothing and expand it over about 6 hours.

bunkaroo
11-21-11, 09:59 AM
I haven't played a Zelda game all the way through since Wind Waker. I had to tap out early in Twilight Princess - just too tedious.

It was pretty annoying constantly having to wail on the A button to get through all the forced conversation in this, but now that I'm about to begin the first temple I feel like it's about to get good.

Kind of wish I could use the analog stick to control the bird since the motion control flying was not fun. Other than that the controls seem good.

BTW, I know they told me to get a shield and bottle before going to the temple but after enduring the opening stuff I didn't feel like looking around for the bottle - I wonder if I'll really need a potion right away? At least you start with 6 hearts now.

Liver&Onions
11-21-11, 10:01 AM
Get the potion you might need it....just head to The Bazaar

bunkaroo
11-21-11, 11:11 AM
Get the potion you might need it....just head to The Bazaar

Thanks - I was there buying other stuff but I didn't have an empty bottle.

Brent L
11-21-11, 11:15 AM
If you talk to the potion lady she will give you an empty bottle for free.

I got the limited bundle, so I'm all in. I played last night right until I got to the first save point right as you walk into what I assume is the first dungeon. I'm already totally wrapped up in Zelda once again. I'm so glad I finished the main story in Arkham City Saturday morning.

slop101
11-21-11, 11:21 AM
I went to a couple stores to buy this, but both stores were all sold out of the bundle with the Motion+ that's required to play, and I'm not gonna spend that much extra on a Wii game, especially with games like SkyRim beckoning me.

Stupid move on Nintendo's part for making the bundle so limited. Or maybe a brilliant move, I don't know - all I know is that it kept me from buying it.

Liver&Onions
11-21-11, 01:21 PM
OK I was a little down on this initially - but after making it through the 2nd temple and now playing through the third, I'm turning around. It's a great title, control issues aside.

bunkaroo
11-21-11, 01:39 PM
If you talk to the potion lady she will give you an empty bottle for free.

Thanks - that's what I get for letting my fiancee advise me. I didn't even talk to the potion lady because my fiancee's like "you don't have a bottle". I should have known better - I seem to recall getting a free bottle in other Zelda games as well.

Liver&Onions
11-21-11, 01:41 PM
I hope you take that as a life lesson, not just in game.

Me007gold
11-21-11, 08:51 PM
Pre-Ordered the bundle with the gold wiimote, picked it up this morning. Going to hold off playing for a few days till I have some time off of work. I know this is going to consume a whole lot of my time

bunkaroo
11-21-11, 09:13 PM
I hope you take that as a life lesson, not just in game.

Noted. :)

I can't believe how long it took me to get a Monster Claw off one of those bat things.

Liver&Onions
11-21-11, 09:59 PM
Noted. :)

I can't believe how long it took me to get a Monster Claw off one of those bat things.

I'm 15+ hours in, only have one. :(

bunkaroo
11-21-11, 11:10 PM
I used it to upgrade my wooden shield. Hope that was worth it.

Michael Corvin
11-21-11, 11:51 PM
I'm looking forward to playing this more than any Zelda of recent memory, because of the departure it sounds like it is from reviews. However, I'm knee deep in Batman right now, so Link is taking a backseat to the Dark Knight.

Liver&Onions
11-22-11, 12:24 AM
I used it to upgrade my wooden shield. Hope that was worth it.

Did it become fireproof?

IMO - that was a waste of a tough to find resource. You can afford the iron shield soon enough.

bunkaroo
11-22-11, 08:19 AM
I don't know about the fireproof yet - I still have yet to do the first temple. I was just about to and my shield broke due to all the deflecting of the rock spitter guys. (I figured out after I can use my sword too to deflect). So I figured I'd rather go into the temple with a stronger shield. The weird thing was my shield bar was at about 1/2 when it broke - I thought I had until it was empty.

I'll see if I can farm another claw from the bats in the caves by the waterfall in Skyloft - I got the first one around there. I feel like I'm playing World of Zeldacraft waiting for drops and repairing gear. :lol:

Liver&Onions
11-22-11, 09:40 AM
Ahh ok, you're still nice and early :) I'll be quiet. I actually managed to do the first temple without a sheild...got lucky.

Goldberg74
11-22-11, 01:26 PM
My son and I finished Twilight Princess last Saturday and started Skyward Sword last night. We're at the door of the first temple and loving it so far.

bunkaroo
11-22-11, 01:53 PM
The kikwi's are thoroughly annoying.

Liver&Onions
11-22-11, 03:06 PM
Suck it Automaton. I made you my bitch!

runner001
11-22-11, 04:21 PM
okay, so I haven't played Zelda longer than I can recall. I just ordered it from BB w/ the $10 GC. Do I need any background information to be able to get through this properly and enjoy all of its wonders?

bunkaroo
11-22-11, 05:20 PM
okay, so I haven't played Zelda longer than I can recall. I just ordered it from BB w/ the $10 GC. Do I need any background information to be able to get through this properly and enjoy all of its wonders?

Definitely not - this game treats you like you know exactly dick about anything.

Liver&Onions
11-22-11, 05:54 PM
Definitely not - this game treats you like you know exactly dick about anything.

This is a slingshot. It shoots things using a combination of stored kinetic energy in the rubber bands. To shoot, insert a nut, then pull back and aim using your Wii Remote.

story
11-22-11, 06:00 PM
I didn't even know it was coming out until I saw it on the Amazon bestselling video game list this week. Been out of the loop, I guess. What past Zelda games would you compare it to in terms of play control, storyline, etc.?

Me007gold
11-22-11, 09:10 PM
I didn't even know it was coming out until I saw it on the Amazon bestselling video game list this week. Been out of the loop, I guess. What past Zelda games would you compare it to in terms of play control, storyline, etc.?

Control is completely new, its mostly motion based. Story is a bit different. Zelda and link are friends and have grown up together, There is no Gannon, no Hyrule,

runner001
11-24-11, 10:45 AM
Okay, don't laugh but I'm stuck already.

I got my sword and shield, went to bazzar and got empty bottle, went to sparring hall and practiced with the shield. what am i supposed to be doing next? when I spoke with the headmaster, he said to go to the sparring hall (which I just did).

Liver&Onions
11-24-11, 02:22 PM
Have you met Fi? Your bird?

Deftones
11-24-11, 02:29 PM
I'd love to play this, but I don't have the wii motion controls. just old school crap. and i'm not going to pick up any extra controller parts just to play this. thus, it will be the first "main" zelda game I've not played. sort of makes me sad. :(

Liver&Onions
11-24-11, 02:41 PM
Yeah, it is a bit alienating to some gamers. And even the add-on piece is $20 still.

Michael Corvin
11-24-11, 02:43 PM
I'm surprised the WM+ is still $20 everywhere. Outside of Zelda and WS Resort it's a useless piece of garbage.

Liver&Onions
11-24-11, 03:07 PM
I'm surprised the WM+ is still $20 everywhere. Outside of Zelda and WS Resort it's a useless piece of garbage.

Your mother, word to.

runner001
11-25-11, 06:55 AM
Have you met Fi? Your bird?

Yes. I'm supposed to speak w the sparring instructor to learn to use the shield. I did that but not so sure I did the right. How do I move on to the next part of the game? What else do I have to do to start my journey to the surface?

Liver&Onions
11-25-11, 03:41 PM
Yes. I'm supposed to speak w the sparring instructor to learn to use the shield. I did that but not so sure I did the right. How do I move on to the next part of the game? What else do I have to do to start my journey to the surface?

Have you obtained and used the tablet fragment to create a hole in the clouds?

Unrelated, this game pissed me off the other night. I was at a very, very logical spot for the climax and end game to start...but instead, they throw in ANOTHER GODDAMNED SET OF QUESTS.

runner001
11-25-11, 03:48 PM
Yeah. I finally figured out that I'm just supposed to dive off a platform and call my bird.
I guess I'm just not very good at this cause now I'm supposed to be looking for Zelda with my sword as a detector but I have no idea how to get out of this grand canyon!

Quack
11-25-11, 06:35 PM
I'd love to start playing this if UPS actually dropped it off for me. Ordered from Amazon and they didn't ship until Tuesday, and UPS lied about when they tried to drop it off at work so I'm still waiting.

bunkaroo
11-26-11, 01:38 PM
Liver - I assume you got past Light Tower portion. I seem to be stuck.

I use the bellows to turn the first sail, but I can't get the guy next to the second sail to start his story about the pinwheel being gone. He just keeps saying he has to fix the cupboard and he likes the pumpkin soup. I brought him some but it didn't matter.

There must be something else I have to trigger.

Liver&Onions
11-26-11, 02:10 PM
Do you have Scrapper rebuilt? If not, talk to the guy who can repair your shit.

bunkaroo
11-26-11, 06:52 PM
Do you have Scrapper rebuilt? If not, talk to the guy who can repair your shit.

I couldn't do that until the guy by the windmill told me about it. I went back and the cutscenes kicked in. Either I simply didn't walk in the right spot before or finishing the love note sequence made a difference.

bunkaroo
11-27-11, 02:28 PM
Just beat Automaton - should I have
The bow and arrow

by now?

Liver&Onions
11-27-11, 02:47 PM
Nope that's the last toy you get.

FWIW - I thought that boss battle was one of the better ones in the game.

bunkaroo
11-27-11, 03:12 PM
Yeah it was I was just having a problem with getting the whip out in time.

SuperBatMan
11-28-11, 07:54 AM
One negative thing about this game that really surprises me is how your sword and bug net always go through walls. It seems like something you never see in a Nintendo game, but I guess this is a limitation of the motion+ controls that it was impossible to keep it from clipping through walls.

bunkaroo
11-28-11, 10:22 AM
I can't believe how long this game is so far. That's not a bad thing though.

I'm at 30 hours by the game clock and just did the second silent realm in Chapter 11 in the desert. Glad I'm getting my money's worth.

Me007gold
11-28-11, 08:18 PM
I can't believe how long this game is so far. That's not a bad thing though.

I'm at 30 hours by the game clock and just did the second silent realm in Chapter 11 in the desert. Glad I'm getting my money's worth.

There are people on the gamefaqs board claiming to have beat the game in around 25/30 hours. I just dont see how thats possible. Why would you want to beat the game so fast? It took over 5 years for it to come out and to just rush through it like that seems silly. That being said, I should be around 50 hours and I just entered the thunderhead to bring the dragon some soup

bunkaroo
11-28-11, 10:36 PM
Yeah 25-30 seems unrealistic unless it already know what to do for every step of the game. I haven't had to redo much of anything and I'm at 30 already.

Liver&Onions
11-29-11, 11:24 AM
There are people on the gamefaqs board claiming to have beat the game in around 25/30 hours. I just dont see how thats possible. Why would you want to beat the game so fast? It took over 5 years for it to come out and to just rush through it like that seems silly. That being said, I should be around 50 hours and I just entered the thunderhead to bring the dragon some soup

They use the gamefaqs to get that quick.

dvdhook
11-30-11, 04:27 PM
If you're still in the market for the Gold Remote bundle, it's back in stock again at Amazon and is selling for $69.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Skyward-Remote-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002I0GEHI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322691932&sr=8-2

matrixrok9
12-01-11, 01:24 AM
Thanks! Bought the bundle. I don't even have a Wii yet, trying to find one cheap on craigslist....

Binger
12-04-11, 10:34 AM
For those of you who have finished the game, I need a little help.

I am having a serious problem fighting the Demise at the end. The first part of the fight is no problem, but the second part where you are supposed to charge a skyward strike and hit him, I can not get Link to charge the strike. I hold the controller over my head, straight up and Link will not charge the skyward strike. He just stands there and then I get hit by the Demise. Rinse and repeat. I don't know if it's a glitch at the end as I haven't had much problem throughout the game charging the strike, but here at the end it just sits there. Any help?

Liver&Onions
12-04-11, 01:02 PM
I's just sometimes finicky in the heat of battle. I found that on the squid boss too.

eatntae
12-05-11, 12:49 AM
For those of you who have finished the game, I need a little help.

I am having a serious problem fighting the Demise at the end. The first part of the fight is no problem, but the second part where you are supposed to charge a skyward strike and hit him, I can not get Link to charge the strike. I hold the controller over my head, straight up and Link will not charge the skyward strike. He just stands there and then I get hit by the Demise. Rinse and repeat. I don't know if it's a glitch at the end as I haven't had much problem throughout the game charging the strike, but here at the end it just sits there. Any help?
You can't charge a Skyward Strike because the sky is blocked (or something like that) You just have to do a shield parry and counter attack. Sometimes you can charge your sword with the lightning that strikes down randomly during the fight, but like I said, it's random.

mhg83
12-24-11, 04:26 PM
<div style='width:650px;font-size: 12px;'><embed src="http://cdn2.themis-media.com/media/global/movies/player/flowplayer.commercial-3.2.7.swf" flashvars="config=http://www.themis-media.com/videos/config/5148-be23eeee8f9dc0f4e727e13391927736.js%3Fplayer_version%3D2.5%26embed%3D1" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" width="650" height="391" wmode="opaque"></embed><div><a href='http://www.escapistmagazine.com'>The Escapist</a> : <a href='http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation'>Zero Punctuation</a> : <a href='/videos/view/zero-punctuation/5148-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Skyward-Sword'>The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword</a></div></div>

argh923
02-23-12, 05:36 PM
Seriously, there's no Ganon or Hyrule at all? Ugh.

LosingMyMind
10-16-12, 02:36 PM

LOL I just started playing, and that's where I got to, too. I was wandering around forever trying to find those **** that stole my bird.

bunkaroo
11-04-12, 10:35 PM
Finally finished this today after putting it down in January before the Song of the Hero part. Final boss fight was a bitch - the controls are just awful.

Wasn't the worst Zelda game but I'll never play it again because of the motion controls. I'm all for a challenge but the controls and camera just work against you too much.

If the eventual Wii U Zelda game incorporates motion control they can keep it.

LosingMyMind
11-05-12, 05:51 AM
Finally finished this today after putting it down in January before the Song of the Hero part. Final boss fight was a bitch - the controls are just awful.

Strange, I had no issues at all.

If the eventual Wii U Zelda game incorporates motion control they can keep it.
Nintendo has hinted that the next Zelda won't use motion controls at all. Supposedly a lot of people only played through half of the game, and Nintendo wants as many people as possible to get to the end.

Goldberg74
11-05-12, 08:36 AM
The last time I played was a month ago and I'm at the very end fighting the argyle guy (I forget his name)... the controls are wonky, but I'll get through it.

I love the game (except for battles like these).

Michael Corvin
11-05-12, 08:48 AM
Nintendo has hinted that the next Zelda won't use motion controls at all. Supposedly a lot of people only played through half of the game, and Nintendo wants as many people as possible to get to the end.

Sounds about right. I gave Twilight Princess about 10 hours and Skyward Sword about 3. 90% of the reason was motion controls, the other 10% (the graphic whore part of me) is that they are just ugly games in an era of HD.

Ironically, I put in 60+ hours into Okami. I had some initial motion problems with that one, but overcame them to enjoy it greatly. Then again, Okami is 10x the Zelda game than any Zelda since Wind Waker.

The Zelda formula is beyond stale at this point. Of course I'm assuming Skyward Sword brought minimal changes to the franchise since the motion prevented me from enjoying it.

bunkaroo
11-05-12, 09:15 AM
Sounds about right. I gave Twilight Princess about 10 hours and Skyward Sword about 3. 90% of the reason was motion controls, the other 10% (the graphic whore part of me) is that they are just ugly games in an era of HD.

Ironically, I put in 60+ hours into Okami. I had some initial motion problems with that one, but overcame them to enjoy it greatly. Then again, Okami is 10x the Zelda game than any Zelda since Wind Waker.

The Zelda formula is beyond stale at this point. Of course I'm assuming Skyward Sword brought minimal changes to the franchise since the motion prevented me from enjoying it.

What's funny is I finished this one but I didn't get 10% through Twilight Princess. On a 61" DLP, just ugly ugly ugly. I wanted to finish that one too since it seemed more unique that the previous Zeldas. But playing as the wolf + motion controls was just a total deterrent to finishing the game.

My biggest problems with the end battle controls were A) I was holding my sword up the whole frickin' time and at best would get a Skyward Strike charged maybe 35% of the time. And then when it was time for fatal blow it took me about 8 times over two different attempts to finally do it right.

I guess the one big change this time is
no villain named Ganon or some variation of Ganon.

bunkaroo
11-05-12, 09:18 AM
Strange, I had no issues at all.

Maybe it was my sensor bar placement - I don't know. The room was fairly dark but with ambient lighting from behind the display. I seriously almost put the Wiimote through my display screen when I died on the first attempt after having tried to the fatal blow 4 times and failed because the controls wouldn't respond to the movement.

There are also a lot of times throughout the game where the camera just readjusts itself to a semi-side view when I've just centered it to prepare for a jump. Needless to say I wind up plummeting after that happens.

LosingMyMind
11-05-12, 10:20 AM
And then when it was time for fatal blow it took me about 8 times over two different attempts to finally do it right.

I had that same problem, but it was because the damn time to do it in is so short and you have to be a certain distance from him.

bunkaroo
11-05-12, 10:48 AM
I had that same problem, but it was because the damn time to do it in is so short and you have to be a certain distance from him.

I wound up reading you shouldn't even try to do it the first couple of times because he gets up too quick. But after about the 7th time of knocking him down and not completing the move only to die, I was quite forlorn (re:fucking pissed).

I did have fun making it to the bottom of the pit before hand. My arm was tired after that.