DVD Talk
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 -- The Reviews and Comments Thread [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 -- The Reviews and Comments Thread

DJariya
11-19-11, 02:23 AM
Trailer:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1lWoM5tXAOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Runtime= 117 Minutes

Estimated $110M budget according to Boxofficemojo.com

;) Surprised noone started this thread yet.

Directed by Bill Condon (Dreamgirls)

Screenplay by Melissa Rosenberg (Dexter, The Twilight series)

:lol: I have a feeling this thread is going to get more snarky commentary from Twilight haters than people actually seeing this movie.

Anyways, I like the series. It's sort of a guilty pleasure for me. I also own all 3 movies on DVD and have enjoyed them. I might see it Sunday or Monday if I have time.

PopcornTreeCt
11-19-11, 09:43 AM
:doh:

Hokeyboy
11-19-11, 10:35 AM
:violin:

yoshimi
11-19-11, 10:38 AM
I have seen the first three out of curiosity but won't be seeing the last two. Still not as bad as a Tarantino movie.

kgrogers1979
11-19-11, 11:29 AM
Anyways, I like the series.

Man-card revoked.

I always loved this scene from Ultimate Avengers.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/2713/ultimateavengers016pg03.jpg

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/7549/ultimateavengers016pg04.jpg

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7185/ultimateavengers016pg05.jpg

SuckaMC
11-19-11, 11:59 AM
Man-card revoked.

I always loved this scene from Ultimate Avengers.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/2713/ultimateavengers016pg03.jpg

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/7549/ultimateavengers016pg04.jpg

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7185/ultimateavengers016pg05.jpg

Revokes "man card", then professes love for comic books. Ha ha ha.

kgrogers1979
11-19-11, 12:11 PM

Only girls and girly men like Twilight whereas nerds of either gender can like comic books.

Do you watch superhero movies, but don't like comic books? If so, that's a bit ironic and probably means you are a bit insecure about yourself...

Reminds me of this video that shows sports fans can be just as nerdy as Star Wars fans. Its just that the sports fan is in denial.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BIUQw1w5OqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SuckaMC
11-19-11, 01:08 PM
Oh no. I'm an all around nerd, trust me. But I can put myself in the shoes of someone who likes something even if I don't care for it myself, and relate to their feelings about it.

I read The Walking Dead and dash out to see Captain America, and I'll go see Twilight because my wife likes it (I find the entertaining enough). In no way do I think I'm better than her because I like different nerdy things than she does.

Hokeyboy
11-19-11, 01:08 PM
Someone touched a nerve. ;)

superdeluxe
11-19-11, 01:21 PM
Vampires sparkle in the sunlight?!?!?! What!

antspawn
11-19-11, 01:21 PM
Reminds me of "V" when the chick gave birth to an alien and it was the most shocking thing in America.

superdeluxe
11-19-11, 01:22 PM
:lol: I have a feeling this thread is going to get more snarky commentary from Twilight haters than people actually seeing this movie.

How did you figure that :). Perhaps its the other twilight threads that are giant thread craps heh.

kristina
11-20-11, 07:29 AM
I saw it just yesterday with my mom and a friend of hers. We all agreed it was good, not great. I thought a few of the scenes went on way too long, and there were a few scenes involving Jacob that should've been cut from the film because it really took too much screen time away from Edward and Bella. There's one scene involving the wolves that's extremely irritating because the music and dialogue are mixed so badly that you can barely hear the conversation. They definitely picked the wrong person to mix the sound quality in that scene.
I haven't seen many descriptive comments or reviews on this thread yet so I'm not exactly sure how much more to elaborate. I definitely thought this was an improvement over the last two movies and I'll see the last one but probably only because the series is mildly interesting and I'm more into the hype of it.

Pizza
11-20-11, 07:55 AM

Good point. :lol:

No issues with guys/girls reading comics or seeing this movie. I just find it funny when one feels they trump the other. We all got our geek vices.

Not many comments on this film.

Patman
11-20-11, 09:53 AM
I think this film does suffer from stretching it out into 2 films when the plot of part 1 just doesn't have a lot of meat to it even with its running time, there's just a lot of waiting going on in the 2nd half the movie for its inevitable plot development. The tone of the film felt a little snarky, but the director seemed to have fun with the familiarily of the 3 main characters. Too bad the script missed a nice opportunity to press the horror and go "Rosemary's Baby" with such a development post-marriage. Lautner's acting is still pretty bad (or immature), but he somewhat gets a second wind as the movie goes on.

I give it 2.5 stars or a grade of C+.

superdeluxe
11-20-11, 11:28 AM

No issues with guys/girls reading comics or seeing this movie. I just find it funny when one feels they trump the other. We all got our geek vices.

Bingo

dhmac
11-20-11, 12:04 PM
I'm going to wait until after this one is on DVD and there's a Rifftrax commentary before seeing it, because I've found that it's the only way I can sit through these movies.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lC-QoeQixlw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XSAb9M51mJw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/StT9IWIcdLQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kgrogers1979
11-20-11, 04:28 PM

I think many people are misunderstanding what I meant. By revoking his man-card, I meant that he admitted to enjoying a movie meant for females, not nerds. A guy watching Twilight is like a guy watching Titanic. Both are girly movies, not nerdy movies.

Comics aren't gender-specific, so anyone can read comics no problem, but girly movies get your man-card revoked if you are a dude watching them. I never intended it to be a nerd-thing but rather a gender-thing.

It was also meant to be in jest, because I admit I have watched and enjoyed several girly movies as well. I did see the first Twilight movie, but none of the sequels, because I didn't care for it. I like True Blood, which is a similar in concept romantic vampire show, but I don't like Twilight because real vampires don't sparkle in the sun!!!

wlj
11-21-11, 09:51 AM
The wife and I went to see BD on Saturday. It was my least favorite of the series...which is mainly because it is only half of the book. They could have done a 3 hour movie and done the story justice without cutting too much out.

I do enjoy the series, I have read the books as well. So feel free to take my man card kgrogers1979. :)

FantasticVSDoom
11-21-11, 10:09 AM
Its funny because I will admit to enjoying the books but not really liking the movies... Not because of sparklyness or the fact that they are for girls but simply because the acting is pretty horrendous. But I like looking at Nikki Reed and Ashley Greene and my girlfriend really wants to see it so maybe next weekend the crowds will be slower and we can see it sans too many cackling teens.

Osiris3657
11-21-11, 10:11 AM
And now we know why DJariya is a single man in his mid 30's :lol:

superdeluxe
11-21-11, 01:29 PM
Comics aren't gender-specific, so anyone can read comics no problem

If twilight is considered a 'girly' film and only girls should watch it, then reading comics if your honest with yourself, is gender specific, and only guys read them.

kgrogers1979
11-21-11, 02:44 PM
If twilight is considered a 'girly' film and only girls should watch it, then reading comics if your honest with yourself, is gender specific, and only guys read them.

You don't know much about comics do you? :lol: There are a lot of comics geared specifically towards a female audience. Spider-man loves Mary Jane, for example, is geared towards teen girls, and pretty much the whole Archie company is geared more towards females than males.

But I agree *most* mainstream comics are geared more for guys, but that is alright since I am a guy reading guy comics. If I read Archie though, I would be getting my man card revoked. (I did use to read Archie many years ago...)

Hokeyboy
11-21-11, 03:19 PM
Any man who is actively worried about "getting his man card revoked" is not a man yet.

superdeluxe
11-21-11, 04:07 PM
Any man who is actively worried about "getting his man card revoked" is not a man yet.

Wise words

Fist of Doom
11-21-11, 05:04 PM
:up::lol:

Man cards. Girly movies. I'm waiting for someone to complain about "yucky girls with cooties" and the trifecta will be complete.

And now we know why DJariya is a single man in his mid 30's :lol:

Yet we still don't know why you have this weird obsession with his personal life.

SuckaMC
11-21-11, 07:23 PM
On to the movie. Not gonna spoiler anything because half the people reading this have said they won't be seeing this.

So, the movie was better put together than expected. There were a couple of things from the book that I was curious to see translated to screen (wolf-pack hive mind conversations and the "imprinting scene"). They were handled better than expected.

The scene were Bella goes "into labor" by snapping in half threw my wife (who is the huge Twilight fan) into a fit of laughter. The look on Bella's face as she is folding up is a perfect "whaaaa?" face. Pretty unintentionally humorous.

Overall, a decent matinee if you are open to the series with some moments of good acting shining through in the leads.

Also, the very subtle "skinny face Bella" makeup was pretty impressive.

Shannon Nutt
11-21-11, 07:46 PM
I took my wife to see this on Saturday. It's okay...nothing great, but not a train wreck like ECLIPSE was. The book it's based on was HORRIBLE, so that given, I think Bill Condon made a pretty good flick.

FantasticVSDoom
11-21-11, 09:07 PM

:up: X 10000

Kal-El
11-22-11, 10:54 AM
Saw it with the wife last night. I've read the books, she hasn't, so at the end there was a point where she thought they were really gonna kill off Bella. It was kinda funny.

As for the movie, I liked it. I think the Twilight Saga is that one rare exception where I like the movies better than the books. Props should be given to Billy Burke for making such a "nothing" character in the books one of the more memorable characters in the movies.

wlj
11-22-11, 11:59 AM
Props should be given to Billy Burke for making such a "nothing" character in the books one of the more memorable characters in the movies.

I agree. His toast at the wedding was hilarious.

I think that the movie is cast very well. The only character that gets on my nerves is the guy they got to play Emmet. I don't care for him. However the other Cullen's are spot on IMHO.

CKMorpheus
11-27-11, 05:48 PM
I'm waiting for the Rifftrax, but I'd love to know if the violent sex scene and the consequent gruesome birth scene are included.

Goldberg74
12-04-11, 05:42 PM
As for the movie, I liked it. I think the Twilight Saga is that one rare exception where I like the movies better than the books. Props should be given to Billy Burke for making such a "nothing" character in the books one of the more memorable characters in the movies.I saw BDp1 last night with the wife (she's a hard-core Twi-hard, I've only seen the movies).

I agree with the Billy Burke comment. That toast was great.

I liked this movie best of the four so far (even with the silly talking wolves scene).

DJariya
12-04-11, 10:00 PM
I finally caught this tonight.

I would give this a C+. Not my favorite Twilight movie. Out of all the Twilight movies, I would say this one is alot more geared to women. Not much action and the 1st 40-50 minutes was very romance-heavy dedicated to the wedding and honeymoon.

The way they handled the whole pregnancy was just weird. I felt like I was missing some more plot on it. But, I have to give the makeup and special effects department alot of credit for how they handled Kristin Stewart's transformation and massive weight loss. And the birth scene was pretty gruesome.

My least favorite character in this series is Jacob. He's such a whiney little douche. :lol: I got a laugh at the talking wolves. That was so cheesey.

mhg83
12-11-11, 10:06 PM
I'm waiting for the Rifftrax, but I'd love to know if the violent sex scene and the consequent gruesome birth scene are included.

I was just thinking how cool it would be if Rifftrax bought out a screening and sold the tickets and do a live riff. I would totally pay to see that done live!

Charlie Goose
08-30-12, 10:45 PM
I'm not a big Twilight fan. On the other hand, I'm not a Twilight hater either. I've seen the previous movies and liked them okay. I don't really get the hype, but that's understandable because I'm not the target audience for the movies or the books.
Having said that, this was one of the biggest pieces of shit I've seen this year. Half an hour at an emo wedding, half an hour at a honeymoon, and 45 minutes of the worst actors in the history of anything wringing their hands and making sad eyes at each other. And that birth scene where Edward gives Bella a c-section with his teeth will live forever in infamy.
The werewolves want to kill the baby because they're trying to protect humans, so they battle the vamps for about 30 seconds. Meanwhile, Jacob connects with the baby, and the other wolves are like, "Oh shit! Well, can't eat the fucking thing now!" and they just leave. Hilarious, and not in a good way.