Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Surprise hit of 2011?

OldBoy
11-18-11, 11:12 PM
Dead Island

Michael Corvin
11-19-11, 01:29 AM
Every fall there seems to be at least one breakout new IP. What is it this year? I'm drawing a blank. For anyone keeping tally, past surprise hits:

2006 - Dead Rising / Gears of War
2007 - Bioshock / Uncharted
2008 - Dead Space / Left 4 Dead / Portal
2009 - Borderlands / Batman: Arkham Asylum
2010 - Heavy Rain was probably the biggest, but was in the Spring
2011 - LA Noir was probably the biggest, but was in the Spring

Kinda disappointing that there hasn't been any true breakout(that comes to mind) during the Fall season the past couple of years. Maybe Dead Island, but compared to the examples above, it clearly isn't in the same league.

Decker
11-19-11, 01:42 AM
I didn't like it that much, but LA Noire would fit the bill for you, Corvin.

BTW : Red Dead wasn't a new IP in 2010. It was a sequel to a game nobody played.

And I'd add Left 4 Dead to the 2008 list. And Portal to 2007. And Gears of War to 2006.

And shame on the Wii for not coming up with a single distinctive notable new IP for their system in the entire life cycle, but I guess that's how big N rolls.

foxdvd
11-19-11, 03:51 AM
No surprise hit for me this year on the level of say Borderlands....Alice Madness was close...but that is FAR from a hit in sales...and more a personal surprise, but only slightly as I had played the first one years ago and enjoyed it...

All the big hits that I loved I sort of expected...and some of the big name games were actually disappointing. Dead Island fits the bill in solid sales..and I did like it...but just to many flaws...

Michael Corvin
11-19-11, 08:48 AM
BTW : Red Dead wasn't a new IP in 2010. It was a sequel to a game nobody played.

Ooops, you're totally right on that one. :lol:

And shame on the Wii for not coming up with a single distinctive notable new IP for their system in the entire life cycle, but I guess that's how big N rolls.

One could make a case for Wii Sports & Miis, but outside of that, was Pikmin(2001) their last true original IP?

JasonF
11-19-11, 09:59 AM

For what it's worth, Rockstar calls Red Dead Redemption a "spiritual successor" to Red Dead Revolver, not a "sequel" (probably because they didn't want people thinking they needed to play Revolver before they could play Redemption, since as you point out, nobody played Revolver).

And I'd add Left 4 Dead to the 2008 list. And Portal to 2007. And Gears of War to 2006.

Add Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect for 2007, and Dragon Age for 2009. Arguably Darksiders for 2010, depending on how big you need an IP to be before it makes the list.

If we're going to count Batman: Arkham Assylum as a new IP, I don't see why we can't count Epic Mickey. Da Blob got a sequel and even crossed from Wii only to other platforms. And Wii Sports is a pretty big IP for Nintendo on this generation, though I doubt that will translate to future platforms that don't have motion sensing.

Groucho
11-19-11, 10:23 AM
Dead Island is the right answer here.

edstein
11-19-11, 11:11 AM
2009 Plants vs Zombies
2010 Limbo
2011 Catherine (didn't play it but heard decent reviews)

Drexl
11-19-11, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't consider L.A. Noire a surprise hit. It was very hyped, and coming from Rockstar, there was bound to be a lot of interest. I mean, damn, are we so conditioned to sequels that any game that isn't an established franchise but sells well is a "surprise" success?

Add Rock Band to the breakout list for 2007.

Decker
11-19-11, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't consider L.A. Noire a surprise hit. It was very hyped, and coming from Rockstar, there was bound to be a lot of interest. I mean, damn, are we so conditioned to sequels that any game that isn't an established franchise but sells well is a "surprise" success?

Which is why I specifically addressed Corvin's criteria, which was a huge selling, new IP, as opposed to scott's which was the surprise hit.

PopcornTreeCt
11-19-11, 03:18 PM
Just curious... was Dead Island any good? I thought all the good buzz from the first trailer quickly faded when more trailers came out and eventually reviews.

starseed1981
11-19-11, 03:21 PM
I suprisingly loved Catherine. But I'm probably the only one.

superdeluxe
11-19-11, 03:28 PM
Just curious... was Dead Island any good? I thought all the good buzz from the first trailer quickly faded when more trailers came out and eventually reviews.

Some people really liked it (If you look at the GOTY thread), but seeing the reviews, the reviewers didn't like it..who knows.

Tarantino
11-19-11, 04:15 PM
I thought Dead Island got boring after a few hours.

Rob V
11-19-11, 05:06 PM
^^ Ditto. Same thing over and over... level 2 just got overly frustrating for me and I havent' touched it in months.

JasonF
11-19-11, 08:50 PM
Limbo and Catherine are definitely not breakout IPs.

Arguably, Modern Warfare is a distinct IP from Call of Duty -- if you consider those separate IPs, then MW definitely qualifies and adds yet another IP to the breakout year of 2007.

Tarantino
11-20-11, 09:48 AM
Arguably, Modern Warfare is a distinct IP from Call of Duty -- if you consider those separate IPs, then MW definitely qualifies and adds yet another IP to the breakout year of 2007.

No.

Raul3
11-20-11, 04:58 PM
LA Noire was a disappointment.

Dead Island is the right answer here.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
11-21-11, 08:16 AM

Unless this is a joke, I don't see how you can when the original MW was actually COD4, part of the main series.

EDIT: Speaking of that, if there is a "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4" at some point in the future, guaranteed that some stupid parents think they're getting a great deal and bring home a copy of "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" for their kid.

Michael Corvin
11-21-11, 08:38 AM
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 4 has a nice ring to it.

And yeah, Modern Warfare is not new IP. :lol:

JasonF
11-21-11, 08:56 AM
Regarding the whole Modern Warfare thing: You guys are mean. :sad:

But I concede the point. I thought it was pretty tenuous when I made the post. But Activision has clearly invested a lot in making "Modern Warfare" a trademark in a way that has not been done with, say "Twilight Princess" or "Revelations." The Modern Warfare series (sub-series?) does have unique and defining characteristics that separate it from the World War II based Call of Duty games.

On the flip side, I don't consider Metroid Prime a separate IP from Metroid, so maybe I'm on crack.

d2cheer
11-21-11, 11:54 AM
^^ Ditto. Same thing over and over... level 2 just got overly frustrating for me and I havent' touched it in months.

Agree Act II is ruining my enjoyment of the game and I have put it away for now as it is just too frustrating.

Groucho
11-21-11, 11:57 AM
If it was meant to be a new IP distinct from Call of Duty they wouldn't have needed to call it "Modern Warfare". It would have been something like "Nukes in your Face".

OldBoy
11-24-11, 02:32 PM
i was a little leary of MW3 after being slightly let down by 2, but really loved the campaign as far as i played until Halo: HD came out.

Dan
11-24-11, 03:04 PM
Definitely Dead Island.
I've only started Act III, but I was having a blast with the game when I was playing it. It's the first game I'm going to return to when I set aside some free time for gaming again.

Decker
11-25-11, 01:22 AM
I wouldn't call it GOTY material or anything, but as Imentioned in the dedicated thread, Skylanders is a surprisingly well-made success, both as a game, and as a concept that really encourages collecting figures for use within the game. It's a very solid game for kids and my 5 year old is totally, totally obsessed with it now. My wife is furious at me! :lol:

TheBigDave
11-25-11, 01:42 AM
It's hard to call MW3 and Gears 3 a "surprise hit". But I loved the campaign on MW3. It was much better than I expected. And I enjoyed Gears 3 so much more than Gears 2. The way they wrapped up the story was really excellent.

I might call Bulletstorm a surprise hit. It wasn't on my radar until a few weeks before it came out. Had some fun with that game. I'm definitely in for a sequel.

mortalplague
11-26-11, 03:27 AM
Alice Madness Returns.

Michael Corvin
01-03-12, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't call it GOTY material or anything, but as Imentioned in the dedicated thread, Skylanders is a surprisingly well-made success, both as a game, and as a concept that really encourages collecting figures for use within the game. It's a very solid game for kids and my 5 year old is totally, totally obsessed with it now. My wife is furious at me! :lol:

After finally getting some quality time in with the game over the holidays and checking a half dozen stores for figures(to no avail)... yeah, Skylanders seems to fit the bill for Surprise hit of 2011. Every store...just racks and racks of empty pegs. Truly amazing.

Personally, the surprise hit of the year for me (even though it bombed) is Rayman Origins. The best 2D platformer I've played in years and I'm not even finished yet. Yeah, better than Kirby's Epic Yarn and even New Super Mario Bros..

Noonan
01-03-12, 03:37 PM
Personally, the surprise hit of the year for me (even though it bombed) is Rayman Origins. The best 2D platformer I've played in years and I'm not even finished yet. Yeah, better than Kirby's Epic Yarn and even New Super Mario Bros..

Is Rayman good as a single player game? I've been reluctant to pick it up because it seems to be more co-op oriented.

Michael Corvin
01-03-12, 03:51 PM
:shrug: This will be a lame answer but... it's a platformer. I can't imagine playing it with two people, especially trying to get some of the tougher and/or time oriented collectibles. I mean platformers got along fine for 30+ years as single player games and this one is no different.

MoviePage
01-03-12, 03:59 PM
I never even tried the co-op on Rayman and I thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend it.

Drexl
01-03-12, 04:10 PM
I haven't played the Rayman game yet, but as of now my answer would be Sonic Generations. I wasn't expecting it to be so good. However, I don't know how well it has sold (if that matters for this thread).

Michael Corvin
01-03-12, 04:12 PM
I haven't played the Rayman game yet, but as of now my answer would be Sonic Generations. I wasn't expecting it to be so good. However, I don't know how well it has sold (if that matters for this thread).

I'm mad I didn't order it from Gamestop when they had it for $30 a couple weeks ago. I thought for sure it would be a universal drop. Instead it's back up to $50. :(

foxdvd
01-03-12, 11:25 PM
the more I think about it...if you are talking about hit based on sales alone...then Skylanders has to be 2011's surprise hit...

It has moved near 2 million copies on all systems already...and of course a LOT of money has been made on the extra figures...

On top of that there seems to be no slow down on sales...or even a reduction in price....

PopcornTreeCt
01-04-12, 12:48 AM
Wouldn't Mortal Kombat qualify? I think most everyone wrote the franchise off to die but it got good reviews and people seemed to really like it.