Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Amazon Packaging: Is this normal?

Icon769
11-17-11, 10:12 PM
I recently signed up for Amazon prime and ordered a Cannon Printer that was the Deal Of The Day earlier this week. Today I get the package via UPS and the UPS label and packing slip were slapped on to the actual Cannon box itself. Was kinda shocked that they wouldn't ship it in an Amazon box. Someone was here when the printer arrived but in the past it has just been left in front of the door. If it was in an Amazon box I think it would be less likely to be stolen since anything could be in the box like a towel and not electronics. Is this wierd that I received it without an Amazon box?

Josh-da-man
11-17-11, 10:43 PM
No.

Amazon's packaging is shit.

EdTheRipper
11-18-11, 06:18 AM
With larger items, that's not uncommon. It's not uncommon from any online vendor I've experienced either. I've had plenty of items arrive in their original boxes.

TheBigDave
11-18-11, 06:36 AM
With larger items, that's not uncommon. It's not uncommon from any online vendor I've experienced either. I've had plenty of items arrive in their original boxes.

+1

Sometimes oversize items are shipped in their original box. It's not just Amazon. I've gotten packages like that from other stores.

BuddhaWake
11-18-11, 10:13 AM
yeah same here. larger items or items that are shipped like that from manufacturers have come like that from various stores.

TheNightFlier
11-18-11, 10:39 AM
Not weird at all. I have gotten plenty of electronics from Amazon and other companies with just a shipping label on the original box. It's easier for large items.

RonG617
11-18-11, 05:55 PM
Those packages are designed to be shipped long distance without problems since many are freighted over from Asia. It does suck that it is basically an advertisement to any would be thief what is sitting on your front porch when they use the original box.

DeepSleep
11-18-11, 08:06 PM
Is this wierd that I received it without an Amazon box?

No, not at all. I just got a DeWalt cordless circular saw and Amazon just slapped the shipping label right on the box. The UPS guy just left it at the front door. The front door faces a very busy street. No problem at all. I don't think peeps pay attention to this sort of thing anymore. With the street littered with stripped and abandoned cars, old sofas and fridges on the sidewalk and dead animals laying in the middle of the street, a box on a doorstep is not noticeable...

davidh777
11-18-11, 09:51 PM
It also sucks if it's a present for your kid :lol:

colour
11-20-11, 01:07 AM
With the street littered with stripped and abandoned cars, old sofas and fridges on the sidewalk and dead animals laying in the middle of the street, a box on a doorstep is not noticeable...

I'm glad I don't live in your neighborhood.:eek:

Shannon Nutt
11-20-11, 12:20 PM
When I ordered an HP computer a few years ago, everything came in the original HP box with a label slapped on it, not in an Amazon box...I think it depends on what you order.

Nick Danger
11-21-11, 01:03 PM
If the manufacturer makes their product box sturdy enough for shipping, I have no problem with it.

I don't like Amazon's packaging. We took an item back to the UPS store, and the clerk said, "Another Amazon package damaged in shipping, huh?"

mattysemo247
08-15-12, 09:03 AM
I'm starting to get really tired of Amazon's crappy bubble mailers. Ordered two different items from Amazon with Prime and they shipped separately. The first package had the edge of the blu ray case crushed and tore through the art work. The second one had a loose disc sliding around in it. Now I have to ship them both back and hope the same thing doesn't happen to the replacements.

Cardsfan111
08-15-12, 09:09 AM
Regarding the issue the OP described, UPS typically won't leave a high-ticket item by your door (flat screen TV, computer, etc) if it's obvious what the item is. Guess most printers don't fall into that category.

jjcool
08-15-12, 01:16 PM
Seems normal. Amazon has the btter packaging out of most of the online retailers I have used. They aslso usually tell you on the product page if stuff is going to be shipped in its own box vs. an amazon box.

bsmith
08-15-12, 02:01 PM
I will get a bubble wrap mailer when I order a single DVD or Blu-ray. But generally if it is a medium size set or a couple of individual disk items it will come shrink wrapped to a stiff piece of cardboard so it won't slide around and placed in an oversized box with a pull-open tab. Best shipping of anyone when it comes that way.

Groucho
08-15-12, 02:04 PM
Prime member here. Never had an issue with Amazon's packaging.

PhantomStranger
08-15-12, 02:17 PM
I'm starting to get really tired of Amazon's crappy bubble mailers. Ordered two different items from Amazon with Prime and they shipped separately. The first package had the edge of the blu ray case crushed and tore through the art work. The second one had a loose disc sliding around in it. Now I have to ship them both back and hope the same thing doesn't happen to the replacements.
As someone that orders single items from Amazon frequently, I'm sick of the damage the bubble mailers produce. Good luck getting a book or a CD in a digipak in them without damage to the cover.

Hokeyboy
08-15-12, 04:02 PM
My last two Blu-Rays from Amazon Prime were delivered in bubble-wrap. Thankfully no damage but

Numanoid
08-15-12, 07:00 PM
Prime member here. Never had an issue with Amazon's packaging.Same here. Most things I get seem a bit over-packaged, if anything.

Josh-da-man
08-15-12, 10:48 PM
Prime member here. Never had an issue with Amazon's packaging.

When I was a prime member I got shitty packaging. Bubble mailers and things getting knocked in flimsy boxes.

Prime has nothing to do with it. I think that where you live and which warehouses/distribution centers serve you determines how well your orders are packed. Some of them seem to put more care and thought into how items are packaged for mailing.

Mike86
08-16-12, 01:47 PM
Also a Prime member. Never have had an issue with Amazon's packaging at all. I do prefer when they ship items in boxes rather than the bubble mailers but of all the times I've ordered with them I've only had one damaged item (which I don't even know for sure was caused by their packaging). I let them know and they got me a new one right away. They seem to do a much better job than most other web site's if you ask me.

Same here. Most things I get seem a bit over-packaged, if anything.
:thumbsup:

Adam Tyner
08-16-12, 01:56 PM
As someone that orders single items from Amazon frequently, I'm sick of the damage the bubble mailers produce. Good luck getting a book or a CD in a digipak in them without damage to the cover.I've generally had good luck with the bubble mailers, but when they're shipped "Fedex Smartpost" and wind up in my mailbox rather than landing on my doorstep, my comic TPBs frequently get bent to hell. They're for reading, not collecting, so it's not the end of the world, but I still have to stack stuff on top of them to flatten them out enough to be readable.

Josh-da-man
08-16-12, 09:55 PM
I've generally had good luck with the bubble mailers, but when they're shipped "Fedex Smartpost" and wind up in my mailbox rather than landing on my doorstep, my comic TPBs frequently get bent to hell. They're for reading, not collecting, so it's not the end of the world, but I still have to stack stuff on top of them to flatten them out enough to be readable.

That's bullshit. When I buy something, I expect it to be in new condition and it is unacceptable when Amazon or any other sellers sends me something I have paid for in a way it's probably going to be damaged in transit.

When I get things that have been damaged, I send them back for a refund or replacement.

Josh-da-man
08-16-12, 10:22 PM
Here's a piece on Amazon shipping OEM hard drives in substandard packaging: http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/30/amazons-frustration-free-packaging-is-anything-but-for-hard-dri/

[Amazon is] shipping computer hard drives in the stuff. According to dozens of irate customers, Western Digital hard drives shipped by the e-tailer over the past several months have arrived in damaged cardboard containers, thin layers of bubble wrap, or even loose in a simple electrostatic discharge bag without an ounce of padding to keep them from harm.

SethDLH
08-17-12, 03:10 PM
Just received 2 packages of DVDs from Amazon and they were in the fold over style cardboard box with pull tab. Of course with the packaging being fine one of the DVDs is obviously an opened re-wrap that was sold as brand new.

story
08-17-12, 05:02 PM
Our big ol' Epson printer came shipped in its box, which was huge. Yet when I ordered a mandolin it came in an Amazon box that was juuuust big enough for the original mandolin box inside. Both instances seemed strange.

PhantomStranger
08-17-12, 05:44 PM
I've generally had good luck with the bubble mailers, but when they're shipped "Fedex Smartpost" and wind up in my mailbox rather than landing on my doorstep, my comic TPBs frequently get bent to hell. They're for reading, not collecting, so it's not the end of the world, but I still have to stack stuff on top of them to flatten them out enough to be readable.
I've stopped ordering trade paperbacks from Amazon because of the condition I've repeatedly received them in. It's a hassle having to constantly exchange them for damaged covers and I suspect a few factory workers have been reading my books before shipping, given the number of fingerprints on them. That's why I was mad when DC stopped shipping their hardcovers in sealed plastic.

Josh-da-man
08-17-12, 09:25 PM
I'd really like to get "Alien: The Illustrated Story" (Original Art Edition) from Amazon. It's an oversized reprint of the 1979 graphic novel adapting the movie, reproduced in an oversized 14" x 17" hardcover and autographed by Walter Simonson.

It's a $75 hardcover, and Amazon is offering at a 46% discount.

But I'm really concerned about how Amazon is going to ship it to me. It's a crap shoot as to whether it will arrive in a nicely-packaged box that will insure it arrives at my doorstep in pristine condition, or if it's going to be rattling around loose in a box and get beaten all to shit.

Mike86
08-17-12, 11:52 PM
I've stopped ordering trade paperbacks from Amazon because of the condition I've repeatedly received them in. It's a hassle having to constantly exchange them for damaged covers and I suspect a few factory workers have been reading my books before shipping, given the number of fingerprints on them. That's why I was mad when DC stopped shipping their hardcovers in sealed plastic.
I must just have good luck or good delivery people. I get a lot of trade paperbacks from Amazon and haven't run into this issue. They normally get sent in the bubble mailers too.

CaptainMarvel
08-18-12, 10:04 AM
I'd really like to get "Alien: The Illustrated Story" (Original Art Edition) from Amazon. It's an oversized reprint of the 1979 graphic novel adapting the movie, reproduced in an oversized 14" x 17" hardcover and autographed by Walter Simonson.

It's a $75 hardcover, and Amazon is offering at a 46% discount.

But I'm really concerned about how Amazon is going to ship it to me. It's a crap shoot as to whether it will arrive in a nicely-packaged box that will insure it arrives at my doorstep in pristine condition, or if it's going to be rattling around loose in a box and get beaten all to shit.

So your options are:

1) Order it at the discount price and either:
a) Receive it fine (+1) or
b) Receive it damaged, but return it and get a full refund (0). Miss out on the item. (-1)

or

2) Don't order it and miss out (-1).

Right? I'd order in that case.

davidh777
08-18-12, 12:20 PM
When I was a prime member I got shitty packaging. Bubble mailers and things getting knocked in flimsy boxes.

Prime has nothing to do with it. I think that where you live and which warehouses/distribution centers serve you determines how well your orders are packed. Some of them seem to put more care and thought into how items are packaged for mailing.

I agree that where your order gets shipped from has a lot to do with it (maybe even who packs it?), but Prime may be a factor if it makes someone more inclined to order single items that can be tossed into a bubble mailer. That's how I usually get my TPBs, though only one has been beaten up so far.

Moopher
08-19-12, 11:15 AM
I've gotten hundreds and hundreds of packages from Amazon over the years....never had a package with not enough...a few of my larger items have come in their original boxes, but that's to be expected.

LJG765
08-19-12, 11:44 AM
I don't order tons from Amazon, but I have been a customer for years; probably since they first opened. I've only really had a couple problems from them over all that time and only once did it not resolve easily. I have received a few books that were damaged-usually by poor packing but it was easy enough to request a replacement and ship back the damaged one. All on Amazon's dime. Biggest issue was the waste of time.

The one that did not resolve nicely was more because the item was made poorly and did not ship well. It was a multi disc DVD set where the DVDs would arrive as floaters and scratched up. Amazon would only replace something twice and then refuse to ship it to you again. They offered no compromise or solution to the problem of getting the product scratch free (which you'd think they do just to avoid customer complaints-easier to fix the problem then get yelled at by angry people) but whatever. I ended up going to Best Buy and ordering two copies and being able to combine the discs to one scratch free item.

But I'd have to say, other than that, Amazon has had pretty good packaging for me.

@OP: Things happen. Sometimes it is an accident. I hope you gave Amazon the chance to make it right rather than just posting the rant here. I get you're frustrated and wanted to vent, but this seems like a pretty easy fix.

davidh777
08-23-12, 02:22 AM
The one that did not resolve nicely was more because the item was made poorly and did not ship well. It was a multi disc DVD set where the DVDs would arrive as floaters and scratched up. Amazon would only replace something twice and then refuse to ship it to you again. They offered no compromise or solution to the problem of getting the product scratch free (which you'd think they do just to avoid customer complaints-easier to fix the problem then get yelled at by angry people) but whatever. I ended up going to Best Buy and ordering two copies and being able to combine the discs to one scratch free item.

Why would it be easier for Amazon to fix the scratched discs? As you said, it sounds like it was manufactured poorly since all four copies you got had scratches. Are they going to send you 20 sets until you get a good one? Are they going to send warehouse people out to comb through the sets and make scratchless combos like you did? More likely, they sent them all back to the studio and said "F--- this. Fix it and send us all-new stock before we send any more out."