Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : So now that the heavy hitters are out...GOTY?

dvdsteve2000
11-17-11, 08:23 PM
What is this year's Game of the Year? I don't think there are any more big titles to launch, so what do ya think? I think Skyrim is pretty awesome, MW3 is living up to the expectations and hype (for me), but I think I would have to give it to Dead Island. It brought something new and fresh to the table, not a sequel or rip off, and the timing was perfect. How about you?

My vote:

Dead Island.

Mike86
11-17-11, 08:26 PM
I'm going to go with Batman: Arkham City. I had the most fun playing it thus far and it's a worthy sequel to Arkham Asylum at least to me. Skyrim is pretty good too though (I haven't played enough to make a good judgement). Dead Island was fun for a while but I got sorta sick of it and haven't played it for a while and don't have much desire to go back.

Groucho
11-17-11, 09:02 PM
Still Portal 2 for me.

Imprint
11-17-11, 09:05 PM
Dark Souls. No question about it.

MoviePage
11-17-11, 09:38 PM
I've played pretty much every major release this year, and many of the minor ones, and nothing else comes within a mile of Dark Souls. Nothing. One of the most amazing gaming experiences of my lifetime, and a truly brilliant achievement in the medium.

nickdawgy
11-17-11, 09:42 PM
What's Dark Souls? I've heard of it, but never really looked into it.

Oh and Skyrim is my GOTY, no question.

superdeluxe
11-17-11, 09:51 PM
Skyrim

Decker
11-17-11, 09:55 PM
Still Portal 2 for me.

That's probably my front runner. Amazingly Super Mario 3D Land is running second. I need more time with Uncharted 3 to get a solid feel for it. So far I've enjoyed it, but not at the same level as Uncharted .2, but I only have played a few chapters so far. Looking forward to digging into Skyrim as well.

None of us have played Zelda Skyward Sword yet and from what I've read, it at least deserves consideration.

MoviePage
11-17-11, 10:21 PM
What's Dark Souls? I've heard of it, but never really looked into it.

Oh and Skyrim is my GOTY, no question.

I'm genuinely surprised that you haven't heard of it, since you seem to be a pretty big RPG fan. It's the successor to the PS3-exclusive Demon's Souls but was also released for Xbox this time around. It leans more towards the action-RPG side of things, and it got a lot of press when it was released in early October due to its (overly-exaggerated) epic difficulty level. I encourage you to look it up, because it deserves to be played. It's the first game in a while that I absolutely could not put down. Three complete playthroughs and 100% achievement completion later, I still wanted more.

And there's no question that Skyrim would definitely be my GOTY as well...if I hadn't played Dark Souls this year.

nickdawgy
11-17-11, 10:25 PM
I might check it out when the gaming dies down.

Setzer
11-17-11, 10:26 PM
This is gonna be tough. I would say Skyrim right now but I haven't played Skyward Sword yet and have heard great things about it. Same thing with Dark Souls....haven't had a chance to play it yet but have heard great things about it.

foxdvd
11-17-11, 10:43 PM
Still a few to play...I am playing Dark Souls on PS3 because I played the last one on that...and I am only 10 hours in...I am juggling Skyrim and Saints at the same time as well on 360..Zelda will be started after Skyrim, and I still have Creed to go...

If I had to pick now I would go with Portal 2...with Skyrim catching up fast...(saints may be on there as well, its amazing, but way to soon to say)

On that short list though has to be Dead Space 2....Batman....Crysis 2... and MW3...

Biggest disappointment this year has to be Brink...and biggest surprise Alice Madness.... Both Uncharted and Gears let me down a little bit...Uncharted more so..

Michael Corvin
11-17-11, 11:04 PM
Hmmm, I was hoping chess would do his GOTY thread again this year. Also seems premature since Zelda isn't out yet.

So far for me it's between Crysis 2 and Batman. I have Gears and Zelda on the way though. Unfortunately I can't get to Uncharted with a busted PS3.

TheBigDave
11-17-11, 11:14 PM
My two favorites this year have been Portal 2 and MW3. I might give the edge to COD since Portal seemed to drag a bit in the middle.

My biggest disappointment of the year has been the single player for BF3. It had great multiplayer, but the campaign was awful. Homefront was also a big disappointment.

PopcornTreeCt
11-17-11, 11:15 PM
Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues

foxdvd
11-17-11, 11:20 PM
Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues

that's like posting in a thread about the hottest chick in Hollywood and you reply "Jessica Alba's ass"

Liver&Onions
11-17-11, 11:27 PM
None of us have played Zelda Skyward Sword yet and from what I've read, it at least deserves consideration.

So far it's pretty solid. Not GOTY though. 8 hours in and I like Mario 3d land much better.

Setzer
11-18-11, 12:17 AM
So far it's pretty solid. Not GOTY though. 8 hours in and I like Mario 3d land much better.

Wow, IGN was calling it the greatest Zelda game ever made with their 10/10 review. I was surprised when I watched their review....they scored it higher than Skyrim. Still excited to play it. I just hope its better than Twilight Princess which I didn't enjoy as much.

UncleGramps
11-18-11, 12:49 AM
Definitely Portal 2, so far. Still wanna play Zelda before I make a final decision, though.

PopcornTreeCt
11-18-11, 01:00 AM
that's like posting in a thread about the hottest chick in Hollywood and you reply "Jessica Alba's ass"

What's so wrong about that??

dom56
11-18-11, 01:26 AM
Skyrim for me, awesome game.

TheBigDave
11-18-11, 03:20 AM
Here's the X-Play GOTY Deathmatch:

http://www.g4tv.com/vgdm/best-game-2011/

Rob V
11-18-11, 07:14 AM
It's between Portal 2 and MW3 for me. I've yet to give SR3 or Skyrim a fair shake.

foxdvd
11-18-11, 07:42 AM
What's so wrong about that??

actually now that I think about it...nothing...nothing at all

d2cheer
11-18-11, 07:54 AM
Dead Space 2 only because I am typically a year + behind on current games... :D but I did play that one this year and Dead Island. I like Dead Island but Act II is incredibly frustrating for me... and I have not finished the game yet.

loneranger
11-18-11, 08:12 AM
Portal 2 with Skyrim as the runner up.

RichC2
11-18-11, 08:20 AM
Xenoblade Chronicles still not out in the US? Funny Nintendo is not allowing some of the best games of this gen get localized.

I'm gonna go in a completely different direction and say my favorite game this year is Rocksmith, followed by Portal 2.

Tracer Bullet
11-18-11, 08:22 AM
Ghost Trick.

Chris_D
11-18-11, 08:23 AM
I don't think I've played a game that was made this year.

Michael Corvin
11-18-11, 08:28 AM

:lol: Yeah, I spent most of the year on CoD: Zombies, Halo Reach and Dead Rising 2.

Chris_D
11-18-11, 08:34 AM
I'm currently on Yakuza (PS2), Sengoku Basara (PS3), and Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS). Good times, but I don't qualify for any GOTY judging panels :).

Liver&Onions
11-18-11, 09:42 AM
Wow, IGN was calling it the greatest Zelda game ever made with their 10/10 review. I was surprised when I watched their review....they scored it higher than Skyrim. Still excited to play it. I just hope its better than Twilight Princess which I didn't enjoy as much.

There are some rough spots - that's for sure. Sadly, in my opinion it's technology based issues combined with homage taken a little too far, bordering on stale.

starseed1981
11-18-11, 09:52 AM
For now I'm gonna say Portal 2 with Infamous 2 being a runner up. However, I reserve the right to change my mind when Skyward Sword ships.

I will not change my mind though that L.A. Noire was the disappointment of the year for me.

Spiderbite
11-18-11, 09:53 AM

I'm currently in 2008. How sad is that? So I'm gonna go with GTA IV for my GOTY. ;)

fumanstan
11-18-11, 10:40 AM
Portal 2 probably, with Deus Ex up there. I'll have Batman on PC when it comes out.

astrochimp
11-18-11, 11:13 AM
Forza Motorsport 4

FatTony
11-18-11, 11:30 AM
I'd probably give it to Portal 2, with Batman: AC and inFAMOUS 2 as runners up. I also have Assassin's Creed: Revelations and Uncharted 3 in the unplayed pile.

Michael Corvin
11-18-11, 12:39 PM
Wow, lots of love for Portal 2. I thought it was great 'n all, but like the first game I just breezed through it* and even with the gels it just felt like a rehash. The humor in it was top notch though and offered something you never get in games...genuine laughter.

*1 or 2 levels aside

Hokeyboy
11-18-11, 12:48 PM
Portal 2, but it's been a disappointing year. I haven't played Assassin's Creed yet though.

MoviePage
11-18-11, 12:53 PM
Wow, lots of love for Portal 2. I thought it was great 'n all, but like the first game I just breezed through it* and even with the gels it just felt like a rehash. The humor in it was top notch though and offered something you never get in games...genuine laughter.

*1 or 2 levels aside

Agreed. It was a pleasant diversion, but in no way was it anywhere close to GOTY this year.

Raul3
11-18-11, 12:56 PM
Googling "that"...

Agreed. It was a pleasant diversion, but in no way was it anywhere close to GOTY this year.

Yeah, Portal 2 was great but GOTY? I guess opinions...

I still haven't played MW3, AC:R and Skyrim, so I don't think I can give an opinion. Highlights? Almost all the AAA! Batman, Dead Space 2, Dead Island, etc.

Oh and Bioshock Infinite is already my GOTY for 2012. ;)

mattysemo247
11-18-11, 12:57 PM
Forza Motorsport 4

Same here. But I still have to finish Uncharted 3 and havenít touched MW3 or Dark Souls yet. But I know I can easily dump 40+ hrs in Forza 4 and not get bored. I loved Portal 2 but not enough for GOTY.

fumanstan
11-18-11, 01:09 PM
Portal 2, but it's been a disappointing year. I haven't played Assassin's Creed yet though.

I would say the opposite, that the year hasn't had too many disappointments. Other then expecting more out of Duke Nukem (:lol:) all the big hyped releases have actually been pretty good as far as the ones i've played and the reviews for them.

Michael Corvin
11-18-11, 01:43 PM
I would say the opposite, that the year hasn't had too many disappointments. Other then expecting more out of Duke Nukem (:lol:) all the big hyped releases have actually been pretty good as far as the ones i've played and the reviews for them.

What I find disappointing (a little) is that the Wii went from Kirby & Donkey Kong last November to Kirby & Zelda this November. What about the other 11 months Nintendo?

MoviePage
11-18-11, 04:59 PM
I agree, this has been a stellar year for game releases. The only major disappointment for me was Rage.

freshticles
11-19-11, 01:08 AM
Skyrim, no question.

dvdsteve2000
11-19-11, 04:24 AM
I agree, this has been a stellar year for game releases. The only major disappointment for me was Rage.

I think I bought more games this year than any other year (not counting Xmas presents), and this year Redbox was even an option for NOT buying a game.

Decker
12-07-11, 07:19 PM
Don't know if this will be the official GOTY thread or not, but OXM just released their choices:

Runners-up:
Dead Space 2
Saints Row : The Third
Batman : Arkham City
Portal 2
Gears of War 3

Game of the Year:
Skyrim

Chris_D
12-07-11, 07:22 PM
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

steebo777
12-08-11, 10:39 AM
Don't know if this will be the official GOTY thread or not, but OXM just released their choices:

Runners-up:
Dead Space 2
Saints Row : The Third
Batman : Arkham City
Portal 2
Gears of War 3

Game of the Year:
Skyrim
Agreed on all except I didn't play GOW3.

flashburn
12-08-11, 10:52 AM
Skyrim, for sure. Although I suppose Star Wars: The Old Republic could surpass it.

superdeluxe
12-08-11, 11:16 AM
Time magazine selected Minecraft as its #1 game of the year

Poink
12-08-11, 12:34 PM
Dark Souls. Nothing else really came close. Such a fantastic combat system that is fairly realistic and favors skill over equipment and stats. More people need to give this "series" a try.

Uncharted 3 was my most anticipated game, which I still enjoyed greatly. While not leaps and bounds over its predecessor, there simply isn't any other series that pulls off the cinematic action of Drake's exploits anywhere near as well. Had it not been for Dark Souls, it probably would've been my pick.

Skyrim is the game that I'll be playing well into next year. It's a great, great game, but its flaws holds it back for me. Combat just isn't that satisfying. There's almost no skill or tactics involved; you're either strong enough or you're not. It rarely feels like you're doing any substantial damage to an enemy. If Bethesda ever refines the combat a bit and irons out some of the buggy/glitchy stuff, they'll have a game for the ages. That said, the game does thousands of things brilliantly and there isn't another game world out there that comes close to being so large and so alive.

Kedrix
12-08-11, 12:54 PM
Time magazine selected Minecraft as its #1 game of the year

Time Magazine is run by a bunch of idiots :). I would love to say Dark Souls or Skyrim is the GOTY (or even Deus Ex which is sitting on my computer desk), problem is I haven't played any of them. Heck, a good portion of this year I played NBA 2k11 and Mafia 2; last year's games. So maybe in 2012, I can move up to these year's games.

chuckd21
12-08-11, 02:09 PM
Finalized my list.

GOTY:
Saints Row the Third

Runners Up:
Batman Arkham City
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
LA Noire
You Don't Know Jack

slop101
12-08-11, 03:05 PM
SkyRim, easily.

mhg83
12-08-11, 03:39 PM
Skyrim, for sure. Although I suppose Star Wars: The Old Republic could surpass it.

Old Republic should be nominated for GOTY next year really. Judging an MMO this close to launch seems unfair.

Gdrlv
12-08-11, 04:12 PM
Skyrim

Runners up:
Uncharted 3
Batman Arkham City
LA Noire

MoviePage
12-08-11, 04:30 PM
Dark Souls. Nothing else really came close. Such a fantastic combat system that is fairly realistic and favors skill over equipment and stats. More people need to give this "series" a try.
Skyrim is the game that I'll be playing well into next year. It's a great, great game, but its flaws holds it back for me. Combat just isn't that satisfying. There's almost no skill or tactics involved; you're either strong enough or you're not. It rarely feels like you're doing any substantial damage to an enemy. If Bethesda ever refines the combat a bit and irons out some of the buggy/glitchy stuff, they'll have a game for the ages. That said, the game does thousands of things brilliantly and there isn't another game world out there that comes close to being so large and so alive.

This is exactly, word for word, how I feel. Skyrim is a phenomenal game and I've already happily put more time into it than any other game this year, but it has too many issues, not enough story cohesion, and a head-smacking lack of basic features (everything involving horses is an example that comes to mind) to be my GOTY. It feels a bit greedy to say that a game as massive as Skyrim leaves a lot of room for improvement, but it does.

Michael Corvin
12-23-11, 09:08 AM
My top two this year were Crysis 2 and Batman: AC. However Batman is getting bumped to #3 to make way for Rayman Origins. I'm only 3 worlds in so Crysis may get toppled as well. So now I'm looking at:

1. Crysis 2
2. Rayman Origins
3. Batman: Arkham City

Honorable Mention:
The Gunstringer - it's fun, original and funny. The only thing holding it back from being truly great are imprecise controls.

I started Zelda last week and am about 4 hours in (and still not to the first temple) but I don't see that making any inroads into the top 3 with it's archaic design, motion controls and hideous graphics. I still need to pop Gears 3 in soon and get my PS3 fixed so I can take a ride with Nathan Drake for a third time.

cruzness
12-23-11, 10:14 AM
My Top 5 I would consider for game of the year: in no particualr oreder

Skyrim - The scope of this game is huge. The story has sucked me in and world is incredible. I've only seen 2 small glitches and I play on what is supposedly the buggiest version of the game (PS3). I've encountered awesome events (2 dragons versus 2 mammoths and a giant!!!)

Portal 2 - I could not put this game down when I played it earlier in the year and it really puts a twist on the first person shooters since you aren't just running around killing aliens/robots/people. The story was great. The voice acting was phenomenal (JK Simmons was awesome as was Stephen Merchant) and it was funny. The ending was great. I loved that my family could sit there and just watch the story unfold and they were totally engrossed.

LA Noire - Great new technology and not your typical action adventure game. I loved the period feel and all the little touches in the environment. Switching the color scheme to black and white was a great touch as it then has a great cinematic feel. My main gripe with the game is that it had got dull in certain places and was best served in small portions - I enjoyed playing a mission or two a night.

Dead Space 2 - Atmosphere and creepiness were very entertaining.

Batman: Arkham City - Excellent voice acting. The atmosphere was great and the fighting system really makes you feel like a badass hero.

Gamer315
12-23-11, 11:54 PM
My vote is for Skyrim...that game rocks!

Decker
01-04-12, 04:36 PM
Joystiq's Top Ten:

1: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2: Portal 2
3: Batman: Arkham City
4: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5: Bastion
6: Saints Row: The Third
7: Shadows of the Damned
8: Dark Souls
9: Gears of War 3
10: Mortal Kombat

covenant
01-05-12, 08:58 AM
Old Republic should be nominated for GOTY next year really. Judging an MMO this close to launch seems unfair.

Not when it starts bleeding subscriptions like a stuck pig!

http://i43.tinypic.com/34yxjr8.jpg

foxdvd
01-05-12, 09:08 AM
Joystiq's Top Ten:

1: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2: Portal 2
3: Batman: Arkham City
4: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5: Bastion
6: Saints Row: The Third
7: Shadows of the Damned
8: Dark Souls
9: Gears of War 3
10: Mortal Kombat

that is a surprisingly good list (close to what I would pick...lol)...I agree with something from Joystiq!

I have not played Mortal Kombat or Bastion yet...and shadows of the damned should not be on the list...and I would move Dark Souls up to the top 5....but good list....